Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    JR45: Hopefully they have parts for this by now. My Bravada was in the shop 20 days waiting for parts. The dealer did not want me driving it as it could really tear up the drivetrain.

GAM
  • pauleulpauleul Member Posts: 116
    Darn, that must have meant we could have used all kinds of bad words and gotten way off topic without any threats!

I think a good many people learned the true meaning of P.O.S. from hondafreak today. He was all over the place with his spam posts.

LUBE SOLUTION FOR DOOR SEALS:

There is a product called SIL-GLYDE. It is MFG by AGS Co. in Muskegon, MI. I purchased it at a store called BiMart in Oregon.

I've been using it on my '01 Acura TL. It's amazing how well it works at getting rid of squeaks and rattles. It is clear and doesn't make a mess even if you brush up against it after applying. In the summer, an application lasts 2-3 months. In the winter, an application lasts the entire winter. Works great on the moon roof problems also. Makes the car as quiet as it was the day I bought it. There is a slight feel of sticking on the doors that aren't opened for a few days, but not bad at all. Silicone spray and Armour All products work too but never last more than a week. This isn't for the outside if your just looking at cleaning up the appearance of the black rubber.
    Haven't needed to use it yet on my '02 Envoy (13,000 miles) and still going strong with only two minor problems. The gasket on the license plate pocket and the wild mirrors which were fixed with the re-programming solution.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The matter has been resolved. :-)

tidester, host
  • cwhawkcwhawk Member Posts: 38
    Can anyone describe the correct position for the cross bars on the roof rack? Mine does not have arrows and I have seen TBs with them facing each direction. Should the highest side be towards the front or rear of the vehicle?
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Highest side towards the rear.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    If you look underneath the locking part of the crossbar, it says L or R. I took mine off for the winter and just put them back on.
  • seandmseandm Member Posts: 4
    just wondering if anyone has heard of a problem where the airbags in the chevy tb 2002 do not deploy? i just totaled mine today in an accident and my chevy did not deploy its airbags???!?!?!#? the car i hit deployed all of its airbags and it was a hunk of junk (and totaled as well). Here i have a 30k car that i paid mucho money for the safety features and it appears non-existent? is there anything i can do?
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    please post some pictures so we can tell if the airbags should have deployed in the first place. If they should have and didn't, call the NTSB ASAP and show them pics, then call a good lawyer. I believe the TB has the so called second generation bags. They deploy with less force and are supposed to cause less injury to the occupants. It sounds like your's were really gentle. Were your injuries worse as a result of the bags not working? Make sure you keep control of the cars black box. It will show your forward speed and other factors needed to determine if the bags should have deployed.

Frank
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    for posting that bulletin!
  • ltz2003ltz2003 Member Posts: 24
    I own a body shop and a lot goes into air bag deployment, You cant tell by pictures. It all depends on where it gets hit, how it gets hits, the force it gets hit. Im not saying there isnt a problem but dont jump the gun and get a lawyer. If you have a shop you can trust get it checked out first. There is way more goes into air bag deployment than people think. You can take my advice or not but i fixed a lot of cars that you would think the bags should deploy and dont and there is nothing wrong. Some also get sent to the junkyard they dont go off sometimes not always a problem. Good luck
    how does one post pics? i have about 40 of them. I was going about 35-40mph, and i t-boned their car head on.

Who knows about the injuries, i'm a little stiff, but i was so worried about the people in the other car that i told the medics to take care of them and to not worry about me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Instructions are in Town Hall Help, linked on the left. You need a place to "host" the pics, like a homepage, since Edmunds doesn't have room for you to just upload them here.

I suspect you'll be stiff and sore for days - a checkup wouldn't hurt.

Steve, Host
    very stiff indeed. interesting is that the front driver side of the car was pushed into the engine area, but the inside remained intact. i was knocked about and spun around and didn't seem to suffer very severe injuries, the seatbelts are definitely rigid.
  • envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone experienced a water leak into the cabin, on the floor of the front passenger seat? I took my winter style "bucket" mats out this past weekend, and I felt water on the floor. I took some trim pieces off around the door opening, to get under the carpet. The padding and the bottom of the carpet were both completely soaked, and starting to mildew. Looks like it has been wet for a while, as I sucked a gallon of water out of the padding with a Shop Vac, and it was still soaked. Took it to the dealer this morning, and will post an update when I find out the results, but I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this yet? Probably leaking through the fire wall somewhere, or at the base of the windshield? Fortunately, since the carpet is actually wet and mildewed underneath, it is going to be hard for them to give me the "we can't find a problem" line. Best part is the dealer loaner car is a Corolla. Go Figure.

Been problem free for a while, so maybe its just my turn - '02 Envoy XL SLT 02/02 build date.
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    Here's the TSB for the Cross Rails (Crossbars)

- Proper Position and Installation of Roof Rack Cross Rails to Reduce Wind Noise.
    #02-08-67-005 - (05/23/2002)
    2002 Chevrolet and GMC S/T Utility Models (Trailblazer, Trailblazer EXT, Envoy, Envoy XL)
    2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit wind noise related to the roof rack.In an effort to reduce wind noise, Engineering has identified a specific position and installation for the roof rack cross rails.

Beginning on September 6, 2001 the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Bravada were built with the roof rack cross rails installed in the reverse direction (arrows towards rear of vehicle).

Early calendar year 2002 the Trailblazer EXT and Envoy XL were built with the roof rack cross rails installed in the reverse direction (arrows towards rear of vehicle).

Early calendar year 2002 the directional arrows were removed from the cross rails on all models to eliminate any confusion as to which direction is correct.It has been found that some dealers are changing the direction of the cross rails thinking they were installed incorrectly.

To obtain the optimum position and installation of the roof rack cross rails that produce the least wind noise, use the following procedure:

If the cross rails have directional arrows, they should be installed in the reverse direction (arrows toward rear of vehicle). Remove the cross rails and rotate as necessary.

If the directional arrows are not present, installation can be verified by checking the location of the cross rail eyelets. When installed in the reverse direction, the cross rail eyelets will face the rear of the vehicle.Remove the cross rails and rotate as necessary.

Once the specified direction has been established, adjust the position of the cross rails, so that one cross rail is positioned at the rear most end of the vehicle. The other cross rail should then be positioned at approximately midpoint of the rear door glass.
    I too had a leak in my 02 Envoy. Mine was on the drivers side.
    I also noticed a wet carpet but didn't think much of it. It had been raining for a few days before hand. I accidently stumbled across the leak when I was running a power wire for my radar detector. I pulled off the trim on the left side "A" pillar(between drivers door and windshield inside of the truck)and got wet. The water was coming in from the top left hand corner of the windshield. My Dealership had a local glass guy come in and reseal that corner, it hasn't leaked since.
  • jr45jr45 Member Posts: 45
    My 03 Bravada stayed in the shop for one day to fix the "crowhop" problem. The service ticket says "Replace encoder motor per Bulletin 02-04-21-008A." Seems fixed. Hope it stays fixed.
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    Hey sportbikenut,

Last month, you listed your updates as:

"My TB was just updated with #12583548, #12583714, and #12583719."

Could you please post the descriptions of these? I have the hesitation problems like you did, but when I check on my VIN, I get a different set of available updates for mine. Or is the info that the website returns my current cal? Mine is a 2002 model, but none of your numbers are in my list.

Mine shows:

12579238 for new operating software
    12583556 cal to correct cold idle fluctuation and warm hesitation
    12583717 cal to correct cold start/shift problems

Thanks,

Dean
    Something I noticed 1st time I ran my VIN and a friends VIN who owns an otherwise identical TB except his has 3.73 gears, mine has 3.42, both are 2WD LS models with the same 1SC option package built within a couple of months of each other. Comparing the listed part numbers, his Operating System software that runs all the body control functions is identical to mine, but all the Engine Calibrations, Trans Cal's and Speedo Cal listed were slightly different but within 2 or 3 in the part number sequence. Apparently some different engine and trans power control calibrations (and the body control module OS) apply depending on what gear ratio you have, and other options and features that are on a particular vehicle. This could explain the variances you see when you are comparing two different vehicles.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    My TB is a 2002 LT with 3.42 and leather plus and you name it I got it.
    My VIN shows the
    12579238 for new operating software
    12583556 cal to correct cold idle fluctuation and warm hesitation
    12583717 cal to correct cold start/shift problems
    as described by DLARE
    Those numbers however are the last entry made for each of the subsystems.
    The OS system has only 238 upgrade.
    The Engine calibration also lists a
    12576999: engine calibration and
    12579249: calibration to correct cold start idle surge and hesitation
    Transmission has:
    12573458: transmission and
    12579259: new calibration to improve feel of 1-2 upshift
    I also show under Speedometer calibration
    09351579: speedometer calibration
    Why do I show so many under a single subsystem??
    Do I need to have them all done or only the latest under each cat?
    Anyone know what the Speedometer calibration is about???
    Would really appreciate someone explaining how this system is supposed to work
    I asked my dealer mechanic if my TB needed all of the TSB work and calibrations done etc. In a word he said NO. Bring your car in only if it is having a problem. Let them decide which tsb's and calibrations are applicable. I doubt that any one car will need to have all the tsb's and calibrations done. It's like going to your doctor and demanding a prescription for every drug in the drug store. The Tripletts have problems, but luckily, not all tripletts have all problems.

Frank
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Well, after using Map Point 2002 and manually making my way around, I finally just gave a GPS add on for my iPaq a try. They've come a long way since just a couple years ago. PharosGPS works great. Software is okay...I like map point better, but overall, the system will talk you to your destination.

I fabricated a quick Rev.1 mount for now. So far, I love it.

http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/modifications-page.html
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    "[Have all cals done?] In a word he said NO. Bring your car in only if it is having a problem."

Very good advice. You'd be a fool to insist on a program update for an area where you don't have a problem. What's the only direction that can take you? If there is no problem, it can't make it better, only worse.
    My TB exhibited several symptoms that were listed in the updates: Late, delayed 1-2 upshift when cold, a noticeable power surge during warm up, soft 1-2 upshifting all the time, occasional fan engagement when not needed. It also had a slow downshift back into 1st during a rolling stop. Went in to my servicing dealer and showed the service writer the printout from the VCI web site. He said he couldn't just go in and do a reprogram without specific complaints, so I gave him enough symptoms to justify getting the PCM reprogrammed. No problem - just had to give them some specifics to write down on the work order. All the above symptoms are now corrected, PLUS my average gas mileage has gone up almost 2 MPG both city and highway, and it has much better throttle response off the line. Sure am glad I had mine done! A much more pleasureable verhicle to drive now. I do agree though that reprogramming the PCM with no specific symptoms shouldn't nornally be done, like upgrading the BIOS on your computer motherboard. If all is well don't mess with it or else you might wind up with a new set of problems. If there are problems that are specifically addressed then go for it. My theory is the programs that run these vehicles were still in a "beta" testing phase as evidenced by all the programming upgrades that have been done since. Looks to me like they finally got it right after almost 2 years of tweaking.
  • envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    I am picking up the Envoy XL today. The dealer said that there was a seam in the firewall near the cowl(??) that was opened up enough to leak. He also said it looked like it might have come from the factory that way. They sealed it up, and replaced all of the padding and carpet in the truck. I haven't seen it yet, so if there are more details on the work order, I can post them on Friday. Once again, the dealer makes the difference. These guys didn't even blink when I told them that cleaning the carpet would not do - I wanted it replaced. I do not like the idea that all of my seats and interior were out to replace the carpet, but we'll see what it looks like today.
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    Has replacement of the PCM helped? I had my first stalling incident with my '02 Bravada last weekend going about 70 mph in the left hand lane of the highway. Very scary indeed as power steering also disappears. Took it in to dealer and they replaced the PCM since it has been updated since my car was built. The repair order reads as follows:

"Check for veh. stalled out while on highway going 70 mph. Pulled over and waited 30 min and then re-started. Tried several time to start. Just cranking. Tech checked for codes found several. Advised by Tech Assist to replace PCM. Replaced PCM and re-programmed with correct calibrations."

Has anyone had a similar situation where their PCM was replaced and did it help? I did find where the NHTSA is investigating this situation and they seem to be focusing on a voltage problem with the ECAS that affects the PCM and causes the car to stall. Interestingly enough, the customer service person I dealt with said they really don't have a firm solution to this problem so there is a "slight" chance this could happen again. She said the new PCM should prevent it though. I would think that the NHTSA would be putting some pressure on GM to come up with a solution for such an obvious safety hazard. Any thoughts?
  • sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    I now have 35,500 miles and took it in for my last free fix-ups! My wallet is shivering for what will happen after warranty is over! My heater/ac fan stopped working on positions 1-3. My horn stopped honking. My rear license frame seal is migrating into the door. My wipers are stuttering all over the windshield. All my door panels are coming loose. Engine randomly dies as stop lights.

Previously, they replaced power steering pump and steering box. I have replaced both low beam bulbs three times each. My alternator was replaced. Window came off track. Rear wiper quit working. Seat upolstery unravelling.

Other than that, great ride. Can't wait to start paying for this stuff myself.
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    Has replacement of the PCM helped? I had my first stalling incident with my '02 Bravada last weekend going about 70 mph in the left hand lane of the highway. Very scary indeed as power steering also disappears. Took it in to dealer and they replaced the PCM since it has been updated since my car was built. The repair order reads as follows:

"Check for veh. stalled out while on highway going 70 mph. Pulled over and waited 30 min and then re-started. Tried several time to start. Just cranking. Tech checked for codes found several. Advised by Tech Assist to replace PCM. Replaced PCM and re-programmed with correct calibrations."

Has anyone had a similar situation where their PCM was replaced and did it help? I did find where the NHTSA is investigating this situation and they seem to be focusing on a voltage problem with the ECAS that affects the PCM and causes the car to stall. Interestingly enough, the customer service person I dealt with said they really don't have a firm solution to this problem so there is a "slight" chance this could happen again. She said the new PCM should prevent it though. I would think that the NHTSA would be putting some pressure on GM to come up with a solution for such an obvious safety hazard. Any thoughts?
  • sportbikenutsportbikenut Member Posts: 15
    Dean,
    You must have different gearing. I have the 3.42 posi-rear. The web site shows the latest available update. You need to bring your vehicle to the dealer for them to determine what calibration you currently have. My descriptions were:
    12579238 Operating System
    12579241 Cold Idle & warm hesitation
    12579255 Cold start / shift prob.
    12576358 Fan control

I have noticed a definite improvement in power and performance. Gas mileage has also improved.
    My average commuting (combined city / hwy.)mileage is 18.5 mpg and I just came back from a long hwy. trip thru mountains etc. averaging around 75 mph and got 21.5mpg over 1000 miles.

I strongly recommend the recalibration if you are experiencing any hesitation, stalling, poor gas mileage, or lack of performance.

Regards,
    Charlie
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    Send me the pictures and I will post them on my site for you. All I ask is that you send them as jpegs so the file size is smaller
    http://www.trailblazer.homestead.com/
  • bhetzelbhetzel Member Posts: 3
    After having read a quantity of the posts on this board, I have several issues which someone may be able to help me with/have had issues with?
        Bought a 2002 2WD TB last April after posting 208,000 miles on a 95 Transport. Other than transmission issues, those were 208,000 terrific miles.
        I now have 33,000 miles on my TB and just got the truck back from the dealer. The "Reaction Carrier" stripped and I was not able to drive the truck, let alone listen to the noise it made when shifting into any gear. It seems to run fine now, if not better than before, but wondered if this had happened to anyone else and if it may indeed lead into future transmission problems?
    The other issues I have had are as follows:
    - All the interior door seals have come away from the door frames. And the rear window leaks. Am scheduled to bring it in to have them fixed. My neighbor had a 2002 Avalanche and has had major problems with his seals.
    - Once in a while I get what I have seen called Jet Engine Roar where the engine seems to race for a minute or two and then returns to normal. My normal mechanic ran this on his computer and came up with a Tech Service Bullitin stating it had to do with chips or debris clogging the 2-3 shift valve. Am having the dealer check this also, but expect this may have been resolved with the trans work just done.
    - My major issue. I find that when I brake as I go over uneven surfaces, the truck doesn't hold (hops?) and the brakes don't seem to grab well. There is a noticable feel that something is not right with how the brakes are functioning. I also notice that if I drive over uneven surfaces on the highway at times I will get the sense that the truck is unstable? Does this make sense to anyone?
        I drive 30,000 plus miles a year, and this is the first car/truck I have had this problem with. I guess I got spoiled. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten rid of the van! Otherwise, I do like the truck.
    Comfortable (though power seats would have been nice), nice styling and though not the greatest the gas mileage is okay (about 20-22 highway).
    Any help would be appreciated. In additon, is there a site for recall info on these vehicles?
    Thanks!!
  • cwhawkcwhawk Member Posts: 38
    Refer to message # 10878.

Has anyone switched to synthetic oil and noticed a decrease in gas mileage?

I switched from Pennzoil 5W30 to Mobile 1 %W30 about 700 miles ago and have had a decrease of about 5%. My driving has remained the same. I used the average mpg from 5,000 miles before I switched. It may take some time to improve, but I never expected a decrease. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I hope this is the intent of this board - to share ideas that make our vehicles more enjoyable. My 2002 TB LTZ has been great, but I want better mpg. Any ideas how to get this?
    advertise better gas mileage, or longer lasting oil. A 5 % change in mileage either way can be explained by many factors. Going from 17 to 16.15 mpg is not a big deal. Your long term running average over 5k miles is a better gauge of mileage than a romp of just 700 miles. Why not reset the DIC mileage computer and look at it again in another 5000 miles and then let us know the results? Some people here post unbelievable mileage of 28 mpg. I suspect they are going one way on a trip, mostly down hill. Others say they get only 12 mpg. They leave out the details like this is winter mileage and the car is warming up a lot in the driveway and their commute to work is all on side streets and they have been in 4wd, etc. It looks like you are in Alabama, have you begun using the air conditioner more lately?

Changing to Mobile 1 doesn't lighten the car at all. It still weighs over 4000 lbs.

Frank
    "- My major issue. I find that when I brake as I go over uneven surfaces, the truck doesn't hold (hops?) and the brakes don't seem to grab well. There is a noticable feel that something is not right with how the brakes are functioning."

I notice the ABS kickin' in when braking hard and there are ripples in the pavement that are making the wheel hop, I also fell the brake pedal vibrate at this time. This is all normal operation of the ABS system.
    Your factory warranty is almost up and if you do have a brake problem ABS repair can be very expensive so get it checked now.

"- Once in a while I get what I have seen called Jet Engine Roar where the engine seems to race for a minute or two and then returns to normal. My normal mechanic ran this on his computer and came up with a Tech Service Bulletin stating it had to do with chips or debris clogging the 2-3 shift valve. Am having the dealer check this also, but expect this may have been resolved with the trans work just done."

The Roar people speak of is at first startup. It is the fan clutch fully engaged and only last a few minutes and if you drive during the Roar it feels like the truck has no power. BTW this Roar is normal and nothing to worry about. There is a TSB that addresses this, its strictly because of customer complaints.
    Just FYI - Your calibration numbers match up with the ones that apply to my TB with 3.42 gears. That likely explains the differences seen when comparing different triplets.
    Something to look for: Just noticed 2 days ago some oil on the connector that plugs into the cam phaser solenoid. Had hoped it was from me being sloppy when checking the oil level. The connector is just below the dip stick and next to the power steering pump. Cleaned it out with some degreaser spray, and within a couple of minutes I can see oil starting to seep up the terminals in the solenoid connector. Not enough to drip on anything, just enough to make the connector wet with oil. Guess I will take it in and get that replaced.
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    Like sportbikenut and tblazed, I had the hesitation, poor performance, poor mileage, etc. So I brought my 02 EXT to the deler this morning for the PCM re-calibration. About 40 minutes later they said I was ready to go. He Xeroxed the updates that they did for my records.

First thing I noticed was a much smoother idle than before. All the other observations echo tblazed and sportbikenut's: much better grunt, better shift control, etc - though I won't be able to check mpg until this weekend.

I'm very glad I had this done. Now this baby runs as good as my Honda ST1100 cycle! Well...maybe not, but a little closer anyway.

Deano
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Nyuyorkah...thanks a lot for the part # posts (how do you get this info!?). This taught me a lesson for rushing to order the entire assembly. (Which I got for $130 or so from gmpartsdirect.com, I recommend this site). I think I'm going to return it eating the 20% restocking penalty and just get the lens and glass.

What p*&&&s me off is that dealers don't tell you that you can order the glass and the lens separately. They all insist that the whole assembly is needed. BTW, some people on this board insisted on that too.

Anyone have instructions on how to replace the mirror glass adn the lens? The parts guys only send the parts, no instructions!

-------------------

Part #'s below are for Triplets 2002 w/RPO D25 and 2003 w/RPO DS3. RPO label can be found in the glove box.

Complete R/S Mirror Assy. pn# 15097471 $187.46
    Lens on Mirror R/S - pn# 88944062 $12.00
    Mirror Kit R/S (Glass)- pn# 88937195 $36.58
    Actuator L/S R/S (Motor) - pn# 88944479 $97.93

rj123456 when you post and ask for part#'s it helps when you give all the info(year,make and model)as parts do vary depending on options. You can purchase these parts at ANY GM Dealership.If you do contact a Dealer have your VIN# ready and let them look up the part#'s for you.
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    He writes:
    Some people here post unbelievable mileage of 28 mpg. I suspect they are going one way on a trip, mostly down hill.

I write:
    No down hill, just the New York State Thruway. Outside temp 70 degrees and no air. Believe it or not, I don't care. I have nothing to prove and nothing to gain.
    "Anyone have instructions on how to replace the mirror glass adn the lens? The parts guys only send the parts, no instructions!"

Mirror Lens Replacement - Turn Signal

Removal Procedure
    1.Carefully move the outside rear view mirror (ORVM) assembly forward in order to gain access to the lens retaining screw (1) located underneath the assembly, near the pivot point.
    2.Remove the lens retaining screw.
    3.Remove the lens from the ORVM assembly.
    4.Remove the socket and the lamp from the lens by turning the socket counterclockwise.
    5.If replacing the bulb, remove the bulb from the socket.

Installation Procedure
    Well if you got this far I think you'll be able to figure it out ;)

Mirror Face Replacement

1.To remove the non-electrochmic glass, manually tilt the top edge of the glass away from the mirror housing in order to gain access to the retaining tab located behind the glass.
    2.Using a flat-bladed tool, carefully release the upper tab (1) that retains the glass to the actuator while simultaneously tilting the glass away from the mirror housing.
    3.Partially remove the glass from the mirror assembly
    4.Disconnect the 2 heated mirror connectors from the glass, if equipped.
    5.Remove the glass from the mirror assembly.

Installation Procedure

1.Position the glass to the mirror assembly.
    2.Connect the 2 heated mirror connectors to the glass, if equipped.
    3.Carefully attach the glass to the actuator by pushing the glass into the actuator, ensuring the upper (1) and lower retaining tabs are fully seated.
    4.Verify proper operation of the mirror assembly.

Here's a link the see two pics. One for lens removal and one for glass removal.

http://photos.msn.com/viewing/album.aspx?m7A!X9U3q6bynoZEhFj0U9rW- - - - kOqLAFaoXv9e2QbpL!I0SSKmm5iulunhAIMThZbga!DHyGN2EeiDl8wR8*NXkrbUj- - - - 30LCC4zTFkWqrexu8ShzVrM73CZgw$$

BTW Your Welcome
    2yearsonlylease: I didn't mean for you to take the comment personally, I'm sorry if you were offended. You must admit, your mileage experience is not the norm. You should submit your vehicle to GM for a reward of some sort. Perhaps they will present it to the EPA and prove that everyone elses experience is false. Maybe they will also reprint the mileage estimates on all new tripletts. Your one way trip is less than 200 miles. With 28 mpg you can easily make the round trip on one tank of gas. Why do you refill as you have stated,"I go Buffalo to Rochester and Rochester to Syracuse. I fill up right before I get on and the second I get off. I really am getting 26 to 28 MPG." as soon as you reach your destination? 28mpg times 16 gal. equals 448 miles. You will still have 2.5 gallons left in your tank. Try it and let us know how many gallons it takes to fillerup.

Frank
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    He writes:
    Why do you refill as you have stated,"I go Buffalo to Rochester and Rochester to Syracuse. I fill up right before I get on and the second I get off.

I write(rather sheepishly):
    Because my around town mileage is as bad as the sticker says. Around town I get 16 or 17 like everyone else. I am always curious as to true highway mileage, thats why I fill up before and after getting on the Thruway. Sort of a best case scenario. I am going on a 3 day business trip next week and will report my strictly highway miles MPG after that.

He writes:
    I'm sorry if you were offended.

I write:
    No problem. I wanted everyone to know I wasn't making it up.

Signed

A fellow past Blazer/old style Trailblazer sufferer. (Pesky On Star) as Tidester would say
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I also just had my TB (11/01, 4X4, 3.73, LS) in and had the TSB's done for the hesitation, roaring fan, and surge with a cold engine. I've only had it back for a day and what a difference! It feels like there is so much more "umph" from the line. I haven't had it back long enough to see if the fan will still roar but this morning it sounded like it was going to start to roar but then just died back down to normal idle. The dealer said they did ALL the reprogramming/updating for my VIN number. Hope they didn't break something that wasn't broke. For now, it is running great.

They also replace the loose baffles in the front quarter panels and front passenger seat belt that would lock up. I'm very happy with the dealer this time. Sure wish we knew how they were making the Buick Raninier so much quieter....
    "I'm very glad I had this done. Now this baby runs as good as my Honda ST1100 cycle! Well...maybe not, but a little closer anyway."

Not quite the performance of the ST. But just try towing a 5K # trailer with it! BTW, I'm pining after the 1300... maybe soon.
    You don't tailgate big trucks on your trips, do you? Talk about good milage... easily in the 30's, but not a very comfortable ride with the buffeting.
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    I've been looking for a salvage place for a triplet and none of the local ones has any. Can you share which place had the totalled TB?

BTW Nyuyorkah, thanks again for the mirror installation instructions!--

#10740 of 10971 FOG LIGHTS for LS by previousamigo Mar 31, 2003 (12:27 pm)
    I found a factory set of fogs on the internet from a salvage place (totaled TB but front still good) and purchased them for about $200.
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    To those ON Star renewers....My first year was up and I did nothing. Got a call from ON STAR for renewal. I told them I probably would not renew. The fellow on the phone said if I would renew, I would get 100 minutes for 1 year on the car phone for no charge...a $50 value. Since I recently retired early and the wife and I go out and about golfing, I got it. Cell phone roam charges are quite expensive unless you have the pricey unlimited no roam feature. On Star has no roam and was worth it for me...not to mention the secuity features.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I live in Nebraska and the salvage/used parts place I found on the internet was in NY. I don't have their name any more but you need to do extensive searching on the internet. It seems there is a computer data base or something that they use to find these parts. The actual salvage/used parts store in NY did not have the fogs but they found them for me after a few days. They called me back and told me that my fogs came off a prototype that had been crashed. It did take me a long time on the internet and many phone calls to find the fogs. I have seen used TB fogs and lots of other parts for sale on Ebay. http://search.ebaymotors.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%- 2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws%2F&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult- &query=trailblazer&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ebaytag1=- ebayreg&category0=6000&s_partnerid=2%26category2%3D6030%2- 6siteid%3D100&BasicSearch=&from=R2&catref=C3
  • rpl13026rpl13026 Member Posts: 8
    I was watching Ebay for a couple of months and last month a right factory fog came up for auction. I think I paid about $45 for it. Then I did a search for used parts at http://www.car-part.com/ Paid about $40 for the left factory fog lamp.

I checked my LS and it doesn't seem GM was kind enough to use the same wiring harness for the front lights as the LT. So were going to have to add our own wiring to install the factory fogs. You also have to fabricate your own bracket to hold the fog lamps in place in the bumper.
  • paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    I own a 2002 Envoy, SLT. Didn't come with the DIC read-out.

Searching the shop manuals, it appears the data stream is there, just the read-out system is missing. Looks like it is the four switches on the steering wheel to manipulate the system and the actual system itself which is located in the Instrument Panel.

Can I change the instrument panel, add some pushbutton switches and get this feature?

Paul P