Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    If your SLT doesn't have the Driver Information Center (DIC), it's an SLE. It's standard equipment on the SLT.
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    The closest information I know of is a discussion on gm-trucks.com but it's not triplet specific. I would guess that the situation is very similar but that's just speculation.

It appears that you would have to replace your steering column as well as the steering wheel
    cluster can not be reprogrammed so you might also be looking at buying a new cluster
    dealer would have to re-program ... the body control computer

Here's a link to the discussion. Fully functioning DIC???
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    The postings from TB owners regarding the PCM recalibrations got my attention! My 2003 Envoy is having some of similar symptoms (sluggish 1-2 shift when cold, slow downshift to 1st).

But when I run my VIN through the Calibration site I don't get the same updates as the TB.. and I noticed the 2002 TB's have a TSB regarding the calibrations, but the 03 TB's and 03 Envoy's don't. Is the re-calibration only for the 2002's?

Mine is going into the shop Monday for these issues and for the intermittant "shutter" at idle that at first we thought was an engine miss (3rd time in for this issue).
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    Boards seem pretty quiet this weekend. Hope the weather is as good where you are as it is in the midwest.

Just a note, getting my driver side weather-stripping replaced under warranty as it was not adhering well to the door opening. It's not hanging down or anything just a slight sag in it that got my attention. This is the first warranty work I've had done. Truck now has 18K, '02 Envoy XL SLT build date 5/02. Interestingly, I've been following manufacturers recommendation and lubricating lightly with a silicon sprayed clean cloth. Also, I don't have wind noise that I would consider bothersome nor have I ever experienced any leaks.
    Still love my truck. Happy motoring to all.
    Chris
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    April 25, 2003

GM Has Recalled the 2003 Trailblazer, Envoy and Bravada
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has released the following information.

Make : CHEVROLET Model : TRAILBLAZER Year : 2003

Make : GMC Model : ENVOY Year : 2003

Make : OLDSMOBILE Model : BRAVADA Year : 2003

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V151000

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 44653

Summary:
    CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES WERE BUILT WITH A LEFT-FRONT BRAKE PIPE WITH A CIRCUMFERENTIAL SCORE AT A RANDOM LOCATION ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE PIPE AS THE RESULT OF THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS. IF THE BRAKE PIPE AT THE SCORING LOCATION CORRODED TO THE POINT THAT THE BRAKE PIPE WALL BECAME VERY THIN, AND APPLICATION OF THE BRAKE DEVELOPED ENOUGH PRESSURE TO PARTIALLY OR FULLY FRACTURE THE BRAKE PIPE, BRAKE PEDAL TRAVEL WOULD IMMEDIATELY INCREASE AND FRONT BRAKE PERFORMANCE WOULD BE REDUCED. OR, IF THE BRAKE PIPE WALL AT THE SCORING LOCATION PARTIALLY OR FULLY FRACTURED DUE TO A COMBINATION OF PRESSURE, VIBRATION, OR TEMPERATURE INDUCED FATIGUE, THE BRAKE PEDAL TRAVEL WOULD IMMEDIATELY INCREASE AND FRONT BRAKE PERFORMANCE WOULD BE REDUCED. IN THESE INSTANCES, BRAKING WOULD BE LIMITED TO THAT AVAILABLE WITH THE REMAINING HALF SYSTEM (REAR BRAKES).

Consequence:
    IF THIS OCCURS WHEN STOPPING DISTANCE IS LIMITED, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE LEFT-FRONT BRAKE PIPE. GM HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, GMC AT 1-800-462-8782, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-8006.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
      Ah...remember the good ol days when the 02 Tripletts at least had good brake lines. This will get the board going again. Way to go GM.

Frank
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Gosh I love driving my 2003 TB with The SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT ON! I paid 26K for this! Only in a America, this will be number 7 trip to the dealer, the folder is getting thick!
    They seem to loose ground as they go forward. I like to call it progressive regression.

Frank
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Its sad, but after so so so many years making vehicles, they still have not figured it out? Vibrations, rattles, other stuff, man you have got to be kidding if this pace of problems keeps up, I'm gettin rid of it, buy me a KIA, Nah just kiddin! Maybe a HYBRID $1.98 a gallon in NY gets old! I quit smokin, I smoke a pack every 2 gallons in this vehicle!!! HE HE
  • ees1996ees1996 Member Posts: 31
    I have developed a knock in the engine. Sounds pretty bad. The knock is not there when the engine is cold but it comes up when it is warm. Reminds me of the piston slap sound in the other vortec engines. Any suggesstions
    Don't bother asking your dealer about that recall yet. They haven't received documentation from GM on the repair procedures. My Envoy was at the dealer yesterday for a different issue and when my husband asked about the recall the Service Advisor swore at him.

Anyone ever have a data recorder hooked up to their triplet? Dealer can't figure out the "stutter" or miss that our 2003 Envoy is doing at idle so after pressuring them to do something they hooked up a data recorder. I hope it can give them some clues.

And unlike the 2002 TB's there wasn't a PCM update for sluggish 1-2 upshift when cold.

I'm pretty disappointed in the customer service at our local GMC dealer. Anyone in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area have a GMC dealer that they've had good service at?
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    "My Envoy was at the dealer yesterday for a different issue and when my husband asked about the recall the Service Advisor swore at him."

When you get the "Service Satisfaction Survey" from GM be sure to fill it out accurately and quote what that so-called "service advisor" said. Amazing how some of these characters seem so put out when asked about TSBs or recalls, even though that's their JOB!! GM actually does seem to be interested in customer feedback. The 3 times my TB has been in for service in the past 15 months, each time within a couple of weeks I have received a questionnaire and a followup "reminder to fill it out" card a week later.
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    .....And I'd be sure to hunt down the service advisor's supervisor and give them an earful as well. That is totally unacceptable behavior from a service rep!
    seiford, does your envoy have the automatic load leveler? If so, the compressor may be causing a voltage drop when it kicks in. If your RPM'S are low at the same time the compressor kicks in, the voltage regulator may not be able to provide enough power to sustain the engine operation. The RPM's will drop to nearly zero, the engine may feel like it is about to stall. Several others have posted this quirk. It may also be implicated in the "engine stalling at high speeds" complaints.

Good luck

Frank
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356

.....And I'd be sure to hunt down the service advisor's supervisor and give them an earful as well. That is totally unacceptable behavior from a service rep!

Let's not blow this out of proportion. There's always 2 sides to every story. I'm not saying anybody's lying but most people don't swear at you for just asking a question.

Anyway, I get the impression dealers don't like the internet much. They don't seem to like it when you have information before them or have more information than them.

On one hand there's people who come to the dealer and want every TSB applied even though they weren't having problems. This is kind of like hypochondriacs who hear of some new ailment and immediately think "I must have that."

However, the internet isn't going away anytime soon so dealers will need to learn to use it to their advantage. A lot of times the customer has already diagnosed the problem and found a solution. Sounds simple to make them happy.

What they need to do is put MUCH more detail into the descriptions of the TSB's. Make it clear that not everyone has the problem and do better than "transmission problems" as a description.
  • richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
    Am I missing something here??? IMO, a car company that puts a recall on their own initiative, before the owners are in any danger, and before any injury or accident have even happen is retty good. I would in fact congratulate GM for this. I have read so much about car companies that fight a problem until they figure out that fighting or paying compensation is more expensive then fixing the problem. Simple math. Why bash GM for recalls. Problem will occur in any line when you build mechanical product. The point is to find them and fix them. Period.

So can someone explain to me how a recall makes GM a bad company???
    I agree. It sounds like it's not an immediate threat either - a glorified scratch around a brake line. It would take years of rusting for it to be a problem.

We have Ford and/or Firestone to thank for these types of recalls. No automaker wants to go through another Ford/Firestone tire debacle.
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "What they need to do is put MUCH more detail into the descriptions of the TSB's. Make it clear that not everyone has the problem and do better than "transmission problems" as a description."

This is printed on every TSB.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer" They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide Information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, D0 NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for Information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the Information.
    >.....And I'd be sure to hunt down the service
    > advisor's supervisor and give them an earful as
    >well. That is totally unacceptable behavior from
    >a service rep!

The Service Advisor had said "well, we don't know about that recall". So when my husband said "Well could you look into it since we have the vehicle there right now?". That's when the Service Advisor swore at him and hung up.

My husband drove straight to the dealership and spoke to the Service Manager and his boss for the next 2 hours. Never did get an apology from the SA.

>seiford, does your envoy have the automatic load leveler?

Yes, it does. But I can hear when the compressor kicks in and the "stutters" don't seem to correlate with that kicking on. I've tried to find some pattern to the behavior without any luck so far. These intermittant things are pretty hard to narrow down.

Today I drove the Envoy around for about an hour with the data recorder waiting for the stutter to happen. Got one good recording.

Then on the way home the Envoy had a little "issue". A few lights came on (Service 4WD, ABS, Airbag, battery, check gages, fuel low), 4WD indicator off, radio dead, power windows/locks dead, oil/temp/battery/fuel gauges dead. I thought I'd try calling Onstar... but that was dead too.

Drove it right to the dealer and showed the drugged out Envoy to the Service Manager. At least this issue isn't intermittant. They shut it off a few times (comes up with "Unknown driver" on the DIC) with no change. Can't even get the mileage to display. He thought this was a new issue and not related to having the data recorder hooked up.

The only reason I mentioned that brake recall was in hopes they could do the fix while we had the truck there. I don't have a problem with the recall itself - I like proactive fixes!

They provided a free rental and will work on the mystery-mobile tomorrow.
    GM has done the right thing in calling for the recall before the brake lines became a big problem. My problem with GM is that after 80 years of making brake lines, they still can't get it right. After years of GM Delco electronics being in cars, they still don't get it right, computers burp and brake light sockets arc. After years of applying door weather stripping, they still don't get it right. After years of building car frames, they still break. Are the tripletts the first GM cars to have roof racks, if not, why do they cause such wind noise. The list goes on and on. A back seat that presses on a cigar lighter cover and leaves a dent in the leather. It boils down to engineering. Doing or in this case not doing the MATH. IMO GM has lost it, and they had better find it soon. How would you feel if the General were your doctor. Yes, we do put our lives in the General's hands every day. He'd say oops I made a mistake, can you come back for a repair. How many times would you go back before changing docs?

Frank
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    Ok here is my deal the TB will go in again on 5/5 to see what is wrong with the bumping /rubbing noise in the front over bumps. I was wondering if envoy Xl from PA was still posting here they seem to have the same problem and wanted to know if they had gotten a fix yet. Also while it is in the shop for that it will also be in for
    1, bumping /rubbing noise
    2, long scratches on all 4 windows
    3, tail lights ( left turn sig. and right break light ) consistently out
    4, black seal around linc. plate housing is peeling
    5,third light above rear hatch seems to have water damage to it like there was a leak and it dried up all white inside.
    6,black seals around rear and front windows peeling off .( unsure if this is part of the high wind noise)
    is anyone else here having any of these problems ? As I am looking now to give this TB to my hubby to take back and forth to work I am looking into going back to a mini-van the Honda because I have had enough with GM and American made cars .
    If you define "getting it right" as perfection, don't expect to be satisfied.....ever! 80 years of doing something doesn't mean that mistakes won't happen every once in a while.

Surely I'd agree that there have been too many mistakes on the triplets, but this brake line issue isn't a big deal. They could have kept quiet and nobody'd ever know.

Perhaps I'm overly tolerant. Working in the software business will do that do you. Nothing ever works! I'd kill to work with a software package that's as good as the worst triplet here.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Just a quick update on our Bravada. No issues to report, just gas and go. We had her in for an oil change and they notice the battery was leaking a little so it was replaced. Still very happy with the truck, highly recommend though it seems some people do have some problems with their trucks. Guess that's always the case.
    Likely supplied to GM by a vendor. Just glad GM cought the problem and will be doing something about it.
    Oh goodie - just when things were getting slow...

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has released the following information.

Models: Chevrolet TrailBlazer/TrailBlazer EXT Year: 2002

GMC Envoy/Envoy XL Year: 2002

Oldsmobile Bravada Year: 2002

Number Potentially Involved: 314,300

Dates of Manufacture: October 2000 – March 2003

Noncompliance: Certain sport utility vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards No. 101, “Control Location, Identification, and Illumination” and No. 208, “Occupant Crash Protection.” These vehicles have an intermittent condition during vehicle start-up in which the instrument panel cluster may not properly power up, resulting in most of the displays, telltale lights, and functions being inoperative.

Remedy: Dealers will reprogram the instrument panel cluster. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during April 2003. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020, GMC at 1-800-462-8782, or Oldsmobile at 1-800-442-6537.

[NHTSA Recall No. 03V096/GM Recall No. 03013].

Models: Chevrolet TrailBlazer/TrailBlazer EXT Year: 2002-2003

GMC Envoy/Envoy XL Year: 2002-2003

Oldsmobile Bravada Year: 2002-2003

Hummer H2 Year: 2003

Number Potentially Involved: 511,167

Dates of Manufacture: October 2000 – September 2002

Noncompliance: Certain sport utility vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 114, “Theft Protection.” These vehicles are equipped with a mechanical override that could allow the ignition key to be removed with the shift lever in a position other than PARK. In addition, these vehicles have an override that can allow the transmission to be shifted out of PARK with the ignition in the OFF position. These overrides are not permitted unless the vehicle has a locking steering column.

Remedy: Dealers will eliminate these conditions by disabling the overrides. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during April 2003. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020, GMC at 1-800-462-8782, Oldsmobile at 1-800-442-6537, or Hummer at 1-866-486-6376.

[NHTSA Recall No. 03V075/GM Recall No. 03012].
    "...In addition, these vehicles have an override that can allow the transmission to be shifted out of PARK with the ignition in the OFF position. These overrides are not permitted unless the vehicle has a locking steering column."

This little gem saved me when my TB wouldn't start while it was sitting in the garage. These vehicles also have a solenoid that prevents the ignition from being turned to ON when the battery is dead. Had my TB not had this override, the only option that the Tow Truck operator (whom the Chevy dealer sent to pick up my TB) would've had would have been to just *drag* my truck up onto his flatbed.

Nice solution.
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    Actually 80 years ago, the brakes on GM cars were a mechanical, external contracting brake run by a cable and then only on the rear wheels. They're rather hard to get adjusted just right. A little too tight and they will drag and lock up. A little too loose and you don't stop at all. Even if they are adjusted right you don't stop any time soon.
    scott54: being in the software biz, you know the importance and use of beta testing. GM should have beta tested these cars before selling them to us.
    tblazed: a vendor may have supplied the brake lines, but GM should have inspected them BEFORE installation.
    badgerpaul: I put the 80 years number out there for emphasis, not as a factual date.
    My point was not to dwell on the defects, but rather the lack of precise engineering necessary to build a dependable, quality product. Any good carpenter will tell you, measure twice--cut once.

Frank
  • corttcortt Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a TB LTZ and want to install window vents. I had them (AutoVent stick-ons) on my
    1996 GMC Jimmy and they worked great all 7 years.
    I have seen the same 3M stick-on types and also
    ones by EGR that "snap" in. I installed the stick-on types myself with little difficulty and once on, don't intend to ever take them off, so portability is not an issue. Has anyone comments or experience to share on pros and cons of the different types epsecially as they fit on the new TB/Envoys? Thanks!
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    Drove to Syracuse in my 2003 Envoy on the Thruway and got 27 MPG at 70 mph. Drove around the city, got 16 just like the sticker. Drove home again on the Thruway, and got 26 MPG. Pretty cool....
    Yeah, but did you make the entire round trip on one tank of gas?
    The dealer through in the towel. Kept the 2003 Envoy for 10 days, yep 10 days, and could not resolve it and threw in the towel. Dealer said he would try to get compensation for me for my trouble. I opened a case file with GMC and asked for a GM smart care plus which gives you scheduled oil changes, tire rotations and brakes for 50,000 miles. The zone rep came around and drove the vehicle and agreed the pedal vibrates but is not annoying. He offered a smart care package without the frills for 24000 miles. I sent him a message saying that after buying 3 GM products in 5 years, suffering with a "P"esky "O"n "S"tar Blazer for 3 years, I felt I deserved more. So I offer this, either give me the smart care package for 50,000 miles like I asked, or nothing and I will do what my wife wanted me to do from the get go. Which was to buy a Honda or Toyota like her car. I explained I only have 18 months to go on this lease. He accepted my offer, which was nothing. As a last shot, I wrote a letter to Mr. G. Richard Wagoner, Jr. GM President and Chief Executive Officer. I explained, what happened, that the zone rep was useless, and unlike a bad meal in a restaurant, I am giving him an opportunity to save me as a customer. Most people, dont complain to the owner, they just pay for the meal and go somewhere else next time. I will let you know if they respond. If not, see you all over at the Honda board next year, unless I get a new job, then it will be the Accura board.
    He writes...
    Yeah, but did you make the entire round trip on one tank of gas?

I write...
    No, what I do is fill up right before the on ramp to the Thruway, then when I get off I buy gas at the first station I see and get the mileage that way. Very scientific actually.
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    I strongly recommend against getting the kind that slip into the widow channel. I prefer the looks of the ones that go into the window channel, but I had some on my previous vehicle and they knocked the windows out of alignment several times. I got the dealer to take care of it every time but only because I got them through the dealer.
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    I have the ones made by WeatherTech.
    I have no complaints at all and would highly recommend them.
    Easy install and they look good.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/prodsearch.asp?item_group_id=4
    2yearsonlylease: what does your DIC mileage average read for the entire period you have owned the car. This and only this is your average mileage. Forget what you get going one way down hill on a trip. The average mileage is what counts. Now, why would you give up such a great high mileage SUV just because of a slight vibration?
     My TB with 16,500 miles is averaging 15.9 mpg for all miles driven, both downhill and uphill.

Frank
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Has anyone experienced some intermittent functionality of the auto unlock feature not unlocking the tailgate or rear window locks?
    I'd estimate that 50% of the time, I put the tranny in Park and can open the tail without hitting the unlock button. The other times I go to the back and find the lock did not unlock and need to hit the button on the armrest.
    I think I also have the same experience using the key fob... sometimes it takes a 3rd push to get the back to unlock
    He writes:
    what does your DIC mileage average read for the entire period you have owned the car.

I write:
    I have an SLE so no DIC. All I have is a trip odometer, a pencil, and a calculator. If you used average mileage, it would be awful. When its zero out all winter like it was here, I was getting 11 to 14 MPG no matter what the road conditions

He writes:
    Now, why would you give up such a great high mileage SUV just because of a slight vibration?

I write: Because I am a hot head, thats why. I do admit I get a compliment a week on what a good looking vehicle it is. Happened at Sears yesterday. Shhh, dont tell Richard Wagoner. I wonder if he responds....I will let you know!
    Thank You Michael-2yearsonlylease. Your car is as average as the rest of ours.

Frank
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    What types of visors are available that don't slip into the window channel? I thought they all did (with or without adhesive). I have the WeatherTech ones that are kept in the channel with tension (no tape). They came with some clips that were supposed to be used on the tail end of the visors. I didn't install them and they say in fine.
    '02 Bravada, 3.73, DIC milage since new = 18.9, 17,950 miles, two short (300 miles one way) road trips included.
    So how/where is this override accomplished?
    The override to get the transmission out of park while the ignition is off is located under the boot that covers the base of the gear shift selector.

Unhook the base of the boot by squeezing the two sides towards each other. It's sorta spring clipped into place. Below the boot is a little red lever that you press/hold while shifting the vehicle out of park.

I'd have never known it was there, but the guy with the flatbed who came to pick up mine said he'd just had to pick up a Bravada with the same problem the day before and the owner of the Olds showed him how to do it.
    " a vendor may have supplied the brake lines, but GM should have inspected them "
     If GM 100% inspected every part that is supplied by the various vendors then you could probably expect to pay several times more for the vehicle. I can only guess this brake line problem, being corrosion related, was probably found after doing long term corrosion testing of some sample brake lines. Be glad they are doing something about it. I wouldn't want to be in the way of a runaway '03 triplet!
  • msc2804msc2804 Member Posts: 3
    Just started the process of pursuing a buyback under the lemon law for my 02 trailblazer. Has anyone else done this yet? Please share your experience
  • corttcortt Member Posts: 7
    I've seen some posts about the loose molding that
    seems to have been shoved into the opening where
    the front of the door and the wheel well meet that
    appears to be there for some reason, but doens't
    seem attached at any place- so doesn't seem lilely
    to seal against wind noise- but some say it does.
    Has anyone been able to find where these moldings
    should attach -or seal? You can push them back or
    pull them forward but they don't seem to pop into
    place or fit precisely from viewing when the door
    is opened. These are pre-molded black foam strips
    just sitting in there. I have wind noise that
    sounds like the front windows are not closed all
    the way, but are- and suspect this is the cause
    when driving at freeway speeds.
    "The override to get the transmission out of park while the ignition is off is located under the boot that covers the base of the gear shift selector." Good to know. To me, that sounds like a very desirable feature to have, in case my trusty TB should die, can't be shifted out of Park and needs to be removed from my garage so a tow truck can haul it off. In my situation my garage is in back of the house and a tow truck can't get back there and hook up. Not enough room for a tow truck. What happens if you decline a safety recall?
    "What happens if you decline a safety recall?"

Absolutely nothing. You can ignore the recall notice. I have no intention of having my override disabled. I will keep the notice and pass it on to the buyer, if and when I sell the vehicle.
  • spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    It's an excellent feature.I'm missing something here.Is some safety issue involved?If so,what?