Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Here is question that may fall in the why is the sky blue category but...
    If the new i5 has essentially 84% of the displacement of our i6 and is advertised to be essentially a shortened version of the i6, why then does in only produce approx 78% of the hp??

How do they do that "whole is greater than the some of the parts thing?"
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    twinrotts: It's easy, they do it with software. Any of the newer engines can output a wide range of horsepower. The number of cylinders and the displacement will give a range of torque. RPM's are a more significant producer of horse power than cylinders. If they could get the I6 to rev at 9000 rpm without self destructing, it would easily produce 400 hp. That is how Japanese and European cars get their power, RPM's not displacement.

Frank
  • richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know where I could find a wiring diagram of the Trailblazer. I would like to prepare my trailer, but I have found 3 different wiring diagram for 7 connectors.

Thanks
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    What part of the diagram(s) specifically do you need?
    Here's something to ponder: Say the I-6 and the I-5 both produce exactly the same hp/cylinder “gross power” with no accessories to drive : 50 hp/cyl. The I-6 would make 300 gross hp. The I-5 250 gross hp. If there is a 25 hp drag from the accrssories that's about 8% on the I-6. Same 25 hp drag on the I-5 is now 10% of the gross. The "NET" hp per cylinder then would be less on the I-5 than on the I-6 just from the losses from the accessory drive. By accessories I mean the alternator, power steering pump, water pump, auto trans pump. Things that would be constant. Also with the I-5 you have 5 power strokes for every 2 crankshaft revolutions, with the I-6, 6.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
    That was my comment about the cylinder walls being thin. As per the 34 page GM technical overview of the 4.2 I-6 on page 2:

"This engine features pressed in cast iron liners. The installation process includes chilling the liner prior to placement and sophisticated precision force monitoring to insure proper installation. The press-fit, ground outside diameter of the liner against the precision bored aluminum cylinder provides optimal heat transfer. After installation, the iron liner is bored to a mass saving 1.5 mm wall thickness." 1.5mm.
    I would like to get the diagram of the wiring that goes to the pre-installed harnest for towing. I need to know which wired does what function so I can prepare my trailer.

Here is an example (not sure if this one is applicable to the TB):

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Tblazed you are correct, I was told it produces 245 hp, but with emission standards, and the fact that it does crank different because of the cylinder count, for smoothness, and other stuff. 5 cylinders is a weird firing pattern, but GM came out with it, a smooth 5 that gets respectful MPG. remember the 4.3L was a sawed off 350. same thinking, but different because of the inline configuration.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    There are a lot of other issues involved too.
    Who's to say that the I-5 uses the same type of cam and heads? They could have tuned it for more low end torque to make up for lower displacement. This would sacrifice some of the high end.

Also, now that it's no longer an inherently balanced inline 6, they may have added a balance shaft which would cause more drag.

78% power from 84% displacement?
    Even though this type of math isn't meaningful, I don't consider those percentages to be off too much.
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    Click on link below to see connector.
    Sorry this took up alot of space.

Connector Part Information 15354653
    7-Way F Metri-Pack 280 Sealed (BLK)

Pin
     Wire Color
     Circuit No.
     Function

A
     LT GRN
     Trailer Backup Lamps Supply Voltage

B
     WHT
     Ground

C
     DK BLU
     Trailer Auxiliary Supply Voltage

D
     DK GRN
     Trailer Right Rear Turn/Stop Lamp Supply Voltage

E
     RED
     Battery Positive Voltage

F
     BRN
     Trailer Park Lamps Supply Voltage

G
     YEL
     Trailer Left Rear Turn/Stop Lamp Supply Voltage

http://photos.msn.com/viewing/photo.aspx?GXjoJRPv*Lq8VA9E0sByrJt5- - - *7HJCBP*fkko0q1HEqG*xWdz57vawQhs9wUfaMS0!cUw!G!hBIEZywMMNEKcuDrGx- - - 8CpXEvrDDWzmjqQLmQ6LQjssKyOCA$$
    Thanks nuyorkah. I am assuming this is unique to GM. This connector doesn't look like a normal 7 wire connector (V shape at 5 O'Clock and a larger ground connector at 9 O'Clock.

I am also assuming this is the receiver end (the part on the car)?
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "Thanks nuyorkah."

Your Welcome

"I am assuming this is unique to GM. This connector doesn't look like a normal 7 wire connector (V shape at 5 O'Clock and a larger ground connector at 9 O'Clock."

Never assume. But yes it is. The picture is the back of the connector where the factory wiring connects too. NOT what you see when looking into the connector.

"I am also assuming this is the receiver end (the part on the car)?"

Yes and answered above

Your GM Dealer sells a 7 way Round to 4 way flat adapter if you need one.
    and had one in the 80's 5000 series. They said it gave fuel economy of a 4 cyl. and power of a 6 cyl. Remember the car that had a propensity to rear-end other cars. Everyone blamed a stuck gas pedal. I think they ultimately figured out the car had more "go" power than stopping power, ie: weak brakes.

Frank
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    driver error, then people who owned Audis tried to get on the band wagon and collect as part of a class-action lawsuit.

There was no fault ever proven against the manufacturer.

It was 20 years ago - sounds more like something that would happen these days, huh?
    I was in a foreign car body shop in the mid 80's and saw 5 or 6 Audi's with the exact same damage to the front ends. When I asked the shop owner to speculate on why each Audi had the exact same front end damage, his answer was the weak brake answer. So yes, it may have been driver error, but the weaker than prudent brakes contributed to the problem. Imagine if the Tripletts had Chevy Vega capacity brakes.
     After driving my TB for 16 k miles, I still feel the brake pedal is mushy compared to other cars. The TB stops ok, it just feels like the brakes are soft, especially in the morning when the car is warming up and the revs are a little high.
     Does anyone else share this opinion about the triplet brakes?

Frank
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Over 4,000 miles on the odometer. Warmer weather and no oxygenated fuel (no alcohol added). Gas mileage on my daily commute has increased from 14.2 mpg to 15.2 mpg for the past 4 weeks. Still nothing to brag about.

BTW DIC average mpg continues to match my computed (from trip miles driven and gallons purchased) mpg. I guess my Bravada has a better average mpg computation system than some others on this board. However, if you try to squeeze the last drop into your tank during a fill-up, the DIC mpg will read higher than actual.

No problems to report after 7 months of ownership. Very secure feeling driving my Bravada at highway speed during spring rain and wind storms around metro-Denver. Can't wait to take the Bravada on a long summer vacation trip.+
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I find the brakes on our '03 Bravada to be the best of any vehicle I've driven in the past 40 years, sports cars included. The linear relationship between braking power and foot pressure is what I like in brakes and the Bravada's braking seems linear from first touch to hard stomp. To me the Bravada's brakes make it feel like I have "mirco-control" of my braking. Hard stops on rain-soaked highways or snow/slush covered roads result in short, straight line stops with no skidding. I can't imagine what else I'd want from a braking system.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    My Bravada's brake pedal has a soft feel, compared to other cars I drive, especially the initial application. Braking itself works great.

From my memory, the Audi 5000 issue had nothing to do with brakes (except that people claimed they were "stomping as hard as I could" on the brakes and the car still wouldn't stop); it was all about "unintended acceleration." This UA occurred at startup. As stated above, this was determined to be operator error, perhaps exacerbated by pedal position. The people were applying the accelerator when they thought they were on the brake.
    cebteb: that is just what I don't like about the brakes. There doesn't appear to be much power assist to the brakes. If you have to push much harder to apply harder braking, you don't have power assist. The whole idea behind power assist is that it assists. Your foot applies a little force and the brake system assists you with added force. Linear braking is what cars used to have before power brakes. Back then, the harder you pushed the brake pedal the faster you stopped. Just like I said, they just don't feel right.

st1100y4: which brings us to my point, which is stronger, the brake system or the engine? Which time (distance) is shorter, 0 to 60 or 60 to 0. At startup, cars will typically idle much faster than when warm. If the audi drivers pushed both the gas and the brakes at the same time because of pedal positioning causing the engine to rev even higher, should the car have stood still or accelerated? It may have been operator error, but the brakes should have held. Remember brake torquing you old cars. They would hold in place even if you were intentionally hitting the gas and brakes at the same time. ( You young readers, do not try this at home.)

Frank
    I-5 "245 hp" haven't read any specs yet. Will be interesting what they do with the 4 and 5 cyl versions for trucks. And what RPM they spec the HP at. Lots they can do with cam tuning and timing, PCM programming etc.

"5 cylinder engines are not new"... also Mercedes and Volvo have 5 bangers although I think only in Diesels.

5 cyl "no longer inherently balanced " just the opposite as I recall. One of the supposed advantages of the inline 5 cyl configuration is its inherent balance without adding balancing shafts etc.

"4.3L was a sawed off 350" Tell me about it. That's what I have in my '88 S-10. The year before they added a balance shaft to the 4.3. The 90° displacement btwn the cylinder banks configuration works great with 8 cylinders, but with 6 cylinders it wants to vibrate. A 60° placement works better with a V6.

"braking seems linear from first touch to hard stomp" my sentiments exactly. GREAT brakes. Very predictable. Just glad I went out and learned what they feel like when the ABS kicks in before I was faced with an emergency.
  • m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    Anyone know the part number for the fog lights? I have been looking for the part to see if I can replace them with brighter lights. I would like to add HID's if they are available for the fogs, I know they have them for the HB.
    They done gots balance shafts:

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/vortecinline/shaft.htm

5 cyl "no longer inherently balanced " just the opposite as I recall. One of the supposed advantages of the inline 5 cyl configuration is its inherent balance without adding balancing shafts etc
    Hmm.. musta slept since then. Coulda sworn I read that referring to one of the other I-5 engines as to the advantages of 5 vs. 6 cyl etc. Thanks for posting the link! Sounds like a smaller engine with more internal moving parts to make it work right.
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    I've recently noticed a couple of things about my 2003 Envoy - I'm looking for some advice if you have any to give.

First: my parking brake handle seems really crooked. I had not had any reason to use it until last week. When I went to release it so I could drive off, all of my fingers that were curled around the handle got smashed because they were pinched between the handle and the side of the console (the area where the handle resides when it is down). Looking closer, I have noticed that the brake handle and shaft is totally crooked and is almost touching the side of the console. Does anyone else have this problem? I am going to take it to the dealer soon and have them look at it and hopefully straighten it out so I don't smash my fingers any more!

Second: My drivers side door is way out of alignment - its difficult to open the door some days. And this past weekend when I went to open it it opened all the way and bounced against the stops and I happened to be looking at the hinge when it did this and I saw a big crack forming where the hinge is welded to the door! How in the heck did that happen and can it be fixed?

Thanks!
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    "GM next year will add DOD to V8 engine versions of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy and GMC Envoy XUV sport utility vehicles."
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/910943.asp?0ct=-30a
    I guess GM thinks everyone's forgotten about the Cadillac V-8-6-4 from the early 80's. Hpoefully 20+ years later they finally figured out how to make it work.
  • funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    My Envoy is back from the dealer and I found out that the "dark stuff" in my coolant expansion tank was dried coolant. They drained the system, removed the expansion tank, cleaned the expansion tank (tech indicated it took 45 minutes!), flushed out cooling system, and filled with new Dex Cool. All performed under warranty (would have cost $113). Service Manager could not tell me WHY this happened (but he seems to have seen it before). I would suggest everyone look at their expansion tanks and checking them out before the warranty expires.
  • jr45jr45 Member Posts: 45
    Sounds great on paper, but according to the article if will boost fuel efficiency by 8%. So that means if a vehicle gets 20 MPH on the highway without DOD, it gets 21.6 MPH with DOD? Makes you wonder whether it's worth the extra cost and headaches.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    If I remember correctly (remember this is eons ago!), what was surmised in some of the most severe cases (hundreds of feet of uncontrolled motion in some cases), was that the driver was pressing only the accelerator. Regardless of the driven wheels (normally the engine should stall before the brakes are overwhelmed), the non-driven wheels would definitely lock on full application of the brakes, and skid marks where never found. And yes I know about Quattro drive; many 5000s were FWD only.

What some wanted to claim was that at a given moment in time the throttle opened wide on its own and simultaneously the brakes totally failed. This was never replicated in 100s of tests.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Manufacturing the Audi Scare (Manhattan Institute)

Sudden Acceleration & Stuck Throttles (Mechanical Forensics Engineering Services)

Steve, Host
    Just a point of clarity - if you've got tons of torque, the brakes don't win when you press both pedals. I haven't tested this on my Chevelle yet, though.

And gee Steve, can we stick to topic? :^)
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Volvo is making gas I-5's for their cars. I think they may be the only one with any I-5's these days. I-6's and V-12' are the best of the bunch for ballance.

As far a Audi 5000's, I remember Car and Driver doing a test where they ran the Audi to 70 mph, floored it while hitting the brakes. While it took more brake pressure to stop the car, it did stop, and only took about 10-20 ft more than with the throttle released! THAT test never got much public attention.

GAM
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    My Envoy finally showed its first defect after 15 months and 15,000 miles.
    My wipers decided that they wiped their last raindrop. At least they made it through an extremely wet day here in Chicago on Saturday before retiring. I went out Sunday morning and as I turned on the washers, all I got was washer fluid sprayed on the windshield. I had to pull over and wipe it by hand. After checking the fuse and tilting the steering wheel up and down repeatedly, thinking it was a wiring harness thing, I gave up.
    I took in in today after work. They said that the wiper motor had shorted out and fried. The mechanic claimed that water had been seeping onto the electrical contacts/connector of the motor, which corroded and caused the short. He said that he's seen this before, so beware.
    I have to wait 2 days for the parts to come in. I'm praying for blue skies!
    Sorry Scottc454, all that Audi talk got me curious. I did refrain from posting the other 6 or so links I found :-)

I'd post a link about "displacement on demand" but y'all beat me to it...

Now the question is whether the incentives will be suspended since the plant is closed due to the recent tornado.

Steve, Host
  • johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    My TrailBlazer turned 40k this past weekend. Still running strong!
    2002slt: did your wiper motor act up before quiting. Recently, my TB wipers hesitate mid wipe if in the slow or auto rain sense mode. I was wondering if this is normal to the auto rain sense mode.

Frank
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Ficuss,
    They have worked flawlessly since last June. Back then I had a problem where they came on during a car wash while the switch was in the off position. Each time the spray hit the windshield it did this. I don't have the rain sense option, so it was really strange. It never happened since, so I just ignored it.
    with all their years of experience, GM would have figured out how to make reliable windshield wipers:

From Edmunds

GM Recalling Pickups for Wipers
    Date Posted 05-08-2003

Faulty windshield wipers are again causing General Motors to issue a recall on its vehicles. The company will recall nearly 1.77 million pickup trucks, SUVs and vans in an extension of an earlier recall that replaced wiper circuit boards and wiper-motor covers. The problem hasn't caused any fatalities, the company said in a release. The vehicles affected include the 1994-1997 Chevrolet C/K and GMC Sierra trucks; Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban/GMC Yukon SUVs; 1995-1997 Chevrolet Astro and GMC Safari vans and Chevrolet/GMC full-size crew cab trucks; 1996-1997 Chevrolet Blazer and GMC Jimmy mid-size SUVs, and Chevrolet S-10, GMC Sierra and Isuzu Hombre compact trucks.
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    ficuss,

My wipers started acting up last week as you describe. On fast, they work great, on intermitant speeds they work great - BUT on the regular setting (one below fast), they have a mind of their own! They may stop altogether, they may run a ramdom intermitant cycle, it varies from day to day.

Dean
  • kpp14kpp14 Member Posts: 62
    Had the same problem (twice)when I picked up my 2002 Envoy. Whats happening is that there is water inside the wiper motor!! As you go around a corner or in some cases over a bump the water makes the contact that activates the motor!! The second time it happened I watch the mechanic open the motor housing and no less than a cup of water come pouring out. They put a new motor in and it has not occurred since.....that was 10 months ago.
    I wonder why after realizing that their wiper motors have a leak allowing water to accumulate inside the motors, GM hasn't engineered a drain hole in the bottom of the motor, to allow the water to leak out? I also wonder if they test the wipers in a rainfree environment.

Frank
    I heard and read about this, but I was sure this was for the Ext plant only. Anything different? Mine is on the line as we speak (not an extended). Wouldn't it be a great start; my first problem with my TB: it got destroyed in a tornado...
  • kpp14kpp14 Member Posts: 62
    Rich, my Envoy was built in Ohio...Moraine I think. The mechanic did mention the wiper fluid feed runs through this assembly as well. Maybe that leaked? He did however caulk the casing really well and ive never had a problem since. I like the drain hole idea but thats not fixing the leak.
  • drcsfdrcsf Member Posts: 36
    My 2002 Envoy, 29k miles, just had the entire wiper motor and control module replaced under warranty because the wipers skipped in intermittent phase no matter how fast or slow they were set. The service tech at the dealer told me that was the first time they saw a wiper problem on an Envoy. Did not tell me why it went bad or of any leaks. Also charged me $24.00 for new blade inserts -told me they were worn and a maintanence item, not under warranty.
    Now that things seem to have slowed down a bit, has anyone had an engine quit because of cylinder sleeves? or any other problem.
    What about the stalling at highway speeds problem?Is it still an issue.
    Has anyone had the vibration problem really fixed?
    Has anyone had to replace brake pads yet and at what mileage.

Frank
    Looks like it's the 7 passenger versions that are affected:

GM plant to be rebuilt (Oakland Press)

Steve, Host
    Reading some of the stories on the web about Dex Cool (do a Google search on Dex Cool) the consensus seems that it doesn't like any air - even a tiny amount - in the system or it will get aerated and oxidize, and form crud in the system. There are lots of horror stories on the web about Dex Cool, but even with the older green or yellow silicon-silicate stuff problems occurred too. Seems like people forget that before Dex Cool, radiators, heater cores, and cooling systems still got clogged up. Mostly from lack of maintenance. GM even gets specific about the type of radiator cap to use to ensure no air gets in the system. Been using Dex Cool in my '88 S-10 since '95 with no problems at all. Anyway, looks like the "flush and fill" is the official fix from GM. I think I will ask about it 2 years and 11 months into ownership to get a warranty flush and fill, that is if any more crud accumulates in my coolant tank. As I mentioned before I cleaned out the initial build-up that formed in my TrailBlazer's tank and since then no more has occurred. I still think it is being caused by a reaction to "outgassing" gasses in the new engine that dissipate with time, especially considering Dex Cool's "sensitivity" to any air in the system, and that's probably why just a flush and fill takes care of it with no other repairs.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    You can roll the window down alittle with not as much wind noise and get some ventilation. just don't go below the vent with the window.
  • archie34archie34 Member Posts: 8
    My 2002 TB LTZ with 13994 miles just failed the annual state safety inspection for a worn tie rod end. Has anyone else here experienced what I consider premature front end wear on their triplets?
    Haven't had the problem but can't help but ask.. did you take it back to the dealer? Don't know your state's rules but can your dealer do the safety inspection? 14K miles for suspension wear enough to detect at inspection is not right.