Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    He writes:We have a 3000 miles long road trip looming in July and I sure would like to keep the back window locked with each of us in the front having control of our windows.

I write:
    Use the neat little trick my wife and I use, duct tape. The little buggers will never get their wrists loose after they have them wrapped in that. Duct tape also works great at keeping them quiet over a DVD any day of the week. Then give them ice cream after the 3000th mile has been passed on your vacation to make up for it.

Hope this helps
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    What was the $500 bonus cash for? I thought the bonus cash that GM is offering didn't apply to the tRailBlazer. I did, however get a "conquest" rebate for $500 because I drove a Ford. Is this the rebate you are talking about?

Thanks,
    Elevatorguy
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If we used hydrogen from the ambient air ...

Actually, there is virtually no free hydrogen in the atmosphere! :-)

tidester, host
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    wanna REALLY feel better about your ride?

I haven't gotten (average) more than 22 mpg on my PT Cruiser GT yet, and I don't drive like Mario Andretti.

Your TB gets better mileage than my small DCC car-based, 2.4 turbo engined, 3000 lb PT Cruiser. Disgusting.

So much for the theory about all SUVs being wasteful and if we buy a smaller vehicle, we'll get better mileage, huh?
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    That was all highway miles. That's where the efficiency of these shines. Unfortunately most of the folks that get worked up over SUVs lump everything together with Excursions and 8.1L Suburbans.

You HAVE to do better in city stop-and-go traffic.
    21-22 on the highway. Bummer. I guess I should have gotten that Durango R/T instead.
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "Thanks nuyorkah, One last questoin since you see to be knowledgeable about GM parts. Do you have any idea of how long this part will be on backorder from GM for? Thanks again, Mark."

Your Welcome Mark, GM has no date they can give as to when they will be available. If you can't wait go to your dealers parts Dept. and ask them to do a dealer search, there are a few dealers that have them in stock. At this point you can ask them for the list of dealers and call them yourself and see if they will ship to you or you can see if your dealer can open whats called a SPAC case in which GM contacts those dealers with stock to see if they'll sell them back to GM and ship them to your dealer.
  • mcali17mcali17 Member Posts: 22
    Just so Chris and everybody out there knows, you don't have to purchase major guard or any GM warranty at the time you purchase the vehicle. You can purchase the Extended Warranty up until your Factory Warranty Expires. Also, make sure you also realize that the Extended Warranty, using Chris' example of 100K miles is TOTAL MILES, not 100K miles plus the 36K you get under the Factory. You would be surprised at how many people don't know this.

Hope that helps

"my 2 cents on the extended warranty debate... by cparise1 Jun 02, 2003 (8:17 pm)
    For my '02 Envoy I bought the GM Major Guard for 100K miles just for the peace of mind. A huge deciding factor was the trust I have established with my dealer. They aren't perfect but they are willing to listen to reason when I've complained about repairs. For instance, when my wife's '98 Pontiac Transport needed a new wiring harness just after the warranty ran out, I complained and I only paid for a new battery, the old battery croaked on the wiring harness short.

I figure if the dealer or GM has that much good faith in the relationship after the warranty is out, then the GM Protection Plan must be decent. So far, I haven't had to use the protection plan. If I never do it will be worth the cost just in peace of mind.

'02 Envoy XL SLT now has over 20K miles on it and I still love it.

Happy Motoring,
    Chris "
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Im very interested in buying an Envoy XL. However, Im not sure if I should go with the V6 or the V8 engine. Ive heard good tihings about the V6 and not much on the V8. My thinking is that for an SUV that big I would need the V8, but Im not going to do any towing at all. Please help.

I have an Envoy XL with the I6 engine. It's got ample power to get the vehicle moving. If you aren't going to be towing I would opt for the I6 over the V8, especially since you'll get better gas mileage. In mixed driving I average about 17 mpg, and on road trips I get about 22 mpg. I also have the 3.73 rear end, which will get you off the line a little quicker than the standard 3.42. So go for the XL with the I6 and the 3.73 gears and you will be happy. (And you'll save about $1500 too)
    Just so Chris and everybody out there knows, you don't have to purchase major guard or any GM warranty at the time you purchase the vehicle. You can purchase the Extended Warranty up until your Factory Warranty Expires.

Just wanted to add that to get GM employee pricing on Major Guard you have until 11 months or 11K miles, I believe.
  • elliot69elliot69 Member Posts: 9
    regarding your AC not cooling but fixing itself, there is a bulletin conserning this. I do not have the bulletin number, but it has been posted many months ago! Cheers...
    regarding your AC not cooling but fixing itself, there is a bulletin conserning this. I do not have the bulletin number, but it has been posted many months ago! Cheers...

My A/C quit cooling on me near the beginning of a 12 hour road trip a few months ago. Talk about an uncomfortable trip. The dealer replaced a low pressure regulator valve I think, and I haven't had an A/C problem since.
  • jbumjbum Member Posts: 3
    2003 Bravada AWD w/Bose, cargo cover/mat, gold package, heated seats, memory package, rain sense wipers, travel note recorder
    MSRP w/dest = 36,875
    Paid 33,644
    - 3,000 rebate
    - 750 military rebate
    - 500 Memorial Day rebate
    - 500 Conquest rebate (for Honda)
    - 1000 in lieu of 5/60
    ---------
    = 27,894

Jay
    2002 TB-LS 2WD 11-01 build
    1SC Preferred group 3 Package (all the important goodies)
    WOL Tires
    CD-Cassette (not necessarily my choice)
    Locking Differential, 3.42 gears

27,645 List
    -2,645 Dealer discount
    -3,245 GM MasterCard rebate
    -2,002 "2002 in 2002" rebate

19,753 TOTAL+TTL

HECK of a deal! I ain't complainin' !
  • onlyagirlonlyagirl Member Posts: 45
    Hmmm, I had a Mercedes...didn't get a "conquest" rebate...just 2 weeks ago...is this a mfg deal? and is it too late for me to inquire about it??
  • ericn1ericn1 Member Posts: 5
    The $500 bonus cash was in addition to the $3,000 rebate. Before I went to the dealer I checked the GM website and it was part of the May incentives for the Trailblazer. I don't think it was there until mid-May. It looks like they dropped the bonus cash for June, so I guess I bought at the right time.
    Eric N or anyone that knows,
    Do you have any specific info as to when the bonus cashrebate began or ended? I may be entitled to another $500 here and will try to get it if I am. All info will eb greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Todd
  • diamond6diamond6 Member Posts: 4
    could those of you that were able to take advantage of the addtional $500 on the purchase of trailblazer, post what state you live in and purchased your vehicle in? I purchased a trailblazer and the dealer in Nebraska said they did not participate in the addtional $500. I am talking about the added money that become available after mid May until June 2nd. I don't understand why we did not qualify for this added money. I wonder if the dealer didn't just pocket it instead!
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    2003 Envoy XL SLT
    Onyx Black
    Running Boards
    Head lamp Washers
    Sunroof
    3.73 Axle
    Polished Aluminum Wheels
    6 Disc Bose
    Sticker including Destination charge $40,305.00
    Invoice including Destination and advertising $36,828.00
    Paid $37,549.00 which includes:
    Danali Grill @ $260.00
    Dealer markup @ $272.00
    Doc fee @ $189.00
    Not that I wouldn't have spent more on an LT or even an LTZ, I just refused to pay $1000 for the mandatory OnStar that I have no use for. No "delete" option, so they didn't get more $$$ from me on a more upscale model. I understand their logic though - they figure they will make more profits from OnStar subscriptions than any losses in sales of the upscale models.
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry.. I was absent for about a week on this board.

1) As far as what the GMPP did not cover on my aunt's Trailblazer, I will be happy to post the list of items that I requested service on, however, I cannot do it until tomorrow (I am currently out of town without access to my home pc).

2) Extended Warranty vs. Aftermarket: Well.. after careful consideration, I finally did ended up purchasing another GMPP. I was two seconds shy of purchasing a 1Source Auto Warranty or Warranty Gold contract last week then I "accidentally" stumbled across an article someone had written that changed my mind dramatically!

In a nut shell, this article discussed a guy who was suing one of the above because they wanted to replace the transmission in his newer Honda Oddessey van with a third party remanufactured transmission because the OEM transmission had cost much more than they were willing to pay. THAT was a breaking point for me... at least I do know that if GMPP does cover a failing part, they will use OEM GM parts (whether new or remanufactured) and that makes a big difference to me!

I really did not want my vehicle to have non-gm parts installed should something fail. So.. with that being said, I ended up going over to a local dealer (since my original contract on my 2003 Envoy SLT XL had already been processed and could not be changed.. dealerships move fast! I've only had the vehicle for a week!!) and purchasing the GMPP cash at the General Motors employee Price. I was quite surprised because I had the exact same coverage on my 2002 GMC Envoy SLT and it was for the 5yr/75,000K with $0 deductible and road hazard.. all for $1,290! The new 2003 Envoy SLT XL-V8 with the exact same coverage cost $1,510!! What a price increase! Oh well.. that's that.. Now I am just dealing with the pestery e-mails from the two third party warranty companies stating, "The offer has been extended.. call now for our new promotions!"

3) Bonus Cash: Here's a funny story! My sales rep called me late last week and had mentioned that they made a mistake on the additional $1750 dealer cash discount that I had received on my Envoy off of the GMS pricing? Apparently, the $1750 incentive applied only to their county (in Ohio) and a few select Michigan counties.

Since I was not a resident of their county, I should not have received the $1750 extra? If transacted correctly, I should have only received GMS discount and the extra $250 bonus cash! She kindly suggested that I consider titling the vehicle in Michigan (since I have family there) but I told her NO. However, I did tell her that since she's a resident of that county in Ohio, she could title it at her address and after everything was processed, we could switch back over to Columbus.. Ha,ha. Needless to say, the dealership ate the $1750 and I did not have to change any paperwork. Oh well.. they should have done their math ahead of time!

4) 6 or 8 Cylinder: Honestly, I have the pleasure of driving them all right now; I have my aunts 2002 Trailblazer LTZ that I am attempting to sell (3.42 rear axle), my roomate has the exact/identical 2002 Envoy that I got rid of except for color.. it has the 4.10 axle, then there's mine.. 2003 SLT XL V-8 with the 3.73 axle. YES.. our neighbors have been scratching their heads trying to figure out WHY there are so many SUV's in our yard that are all pretty much the same? Either that or wondering if we are involved in a drug cartel or something.. Ha, ha.. Just kidding

There is a BIG difference between the two. Whenever I drive the shorties (reg models), they appear to be much more "buzzier" than the V-8. The performance is good but the higher RPM revving can drive you nuts at times.. especially since I am accustomed to the V-8 now. The V-8 model in the XL moves along with very LITTLE gas pedal effort at all. I am constantly surprised at how well it moves and works in conjunction with the transmission. It's a much more "relaxed" engine so to speak? Merging on to the freeways do not require much effort or downshifting (if any) at all. I'm not a tech person either, but that's the best way to describe it.

Now that I have over 500 miles on the odometer, I had the chance to PUNCH the accelerator and I was QUITE surprised. You can very easily BURN rubber from a stop that's for sure. Even given the extra weight of the XL's and having the AC running, the vehicle performs quite well, plus the V-8 rumble sounds so good! Kinda makes the vehicle feel more SUV'ish, but maybe that's because my past SUV's have been V-8's??

If I had a choice to do it all over again, I would definitely choose the V-8 over the V-6.. I like having the abundance of power sitting on tap just waiting to be released! Also, the mpg is not bad either! Now I don't know about you all, but I can imagine that the Buick Ranier will kick some major BOOTY with the V-8 engine and less weight!!

5) MPG: I've been averaging about 17 mpg on the DIC with a good mix of city/highway driving thus far. When I first picked up the XL last week, I drove it approximately 170 miles home and I average 19.9 and 20 mpg the entire trip. The 25.5 gallon fuel tank is VERY handy. I don't have to fill up with fuel until approximately 400 miles!

The DIC's on the shorties are constantly showing between 15 - 17 mpg in the city, and about 19-20 on the freeway? I was quite surprised myself, since I had initially thought that the V-8 would consume more gasoline.

6) Steering Question?? For those who have XL's or 2003 models, I quickly noticed that my 2003 has a shorter ratio steering setup than the 2002's did? Initially, I hated my 2002 Envoy's "Auto Bus" type steering... you had to turn it quite a bit before reaching the lock position. Turning the steering wheel from side to side took about 3 revolutions of the steering wheel to complete. On my 2003 XL, the revolutions have been shortened to only 2.5? Is that a feature only used on the XL models or was it something new GM changed for 2003 across the board? Just curious..

Sorry for the long post guys/gals!

Thanks!

IExplore2000
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    FWIW, Car and Driver has an I-6 shortie running
    0-60 a good half second quicker than a V-8 extended. Just because it feels quicker, doesn't mean it is. No doubt the V-8 has more low end torque, but my Envoy really pulls once it's moving. I would think hard about the V-8 in an extended model, but the I-6 is plenty good for the shorties (not that we have a choice until the Buick arrives). I can also say that my 2003 is light years ahead of my old 2002 in terms of throttle response and transmission operation.

GAM
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    for fellow tblazer owners i have a 03 tblazer and do anyone have this problem. when you brake does the truck dip forward? and when you reverse does it dip also? mine is doin it does yone know what it could be i put 2 logs of sand in the back could that be the problem? let me know somebody please thanks.ps i have a ls 2wd
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    ask after watching the video I was wondering is this a regular envoy with just the rear section "enhanced" ? I really like the new rear door but really don't go crazy for the new PICK UP TRUCK combo thing they all seem to be trying. Is this a 5 passanger or a 7 passenger?
    If you're braking, weight transfers to the front (figuratively, through inertia), and your front end dips.

Every vehicle I've ever driven does that.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    even if is dipping? i watched as my wife braked and what im seeing is the shocks are dipping. i know every auto has went forward when you brake. but dipping? is it the brakes? it takes a while for the truck to stop in traffic and on the highway in stop and go so what do you think im trying to describe to best of ability i guess you own a 03 tblazer.
    but I've driven 60-70 of them ('02s and '03s) in the last year for lemon law lawsuit inspections.

If you feel the dipping is excessive, by all means, make a service appointment and have them check the shocks and springs, as well as the brakes.

We can talk about generalities here on line, but you're feeling and seeing the real world thing and it's your own gut you need to satisfy. I don't mess around when it comes to safety issues - get it checked out.
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Wow it went over your head host, it makes the same sense? Wasting gas? Hydrogen? I didn't know gas was a natural resource, or did I know hydrogen was? I guess I'll drill for gas in my back yard, wouldn't want to waist that would we? Same thing with hydrogen from the air? LOL , Both need to be made! That was the point!! Hydrogen fuel cells, are not as efficient as people think, and that is the point of that domestic terrorist that posted on this board. If its not one thing its the other!!!

If cars used salt water for fuel, groups would be throwing themselfs in the OCEAN! to prevent grid lock, no one will ever win!
  • jr45jr45 Member Posts: 45
    If so, where did you mount it and what mount did you use? I'm on an accessorizing kick and want to add satellite radio. Since my Bravada has the Bose head unit, it looks like there's no way to connect directly and I will have an fm modulator.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    FYI,

Hydrogen fuel cells are about 45% efficient, compared to 30-35% for an I/C engine. Getting the hydrogen is a different story. It will be very expensive until new technology is found. You will see stationary and portable fuel cell generators
    (using reformed natural gas) on the market long before mainsteam vehicle applications. Check back in 10 years though........

GAM
  • jbumjbum Member Posts: 3
    re: #11561 of 11575  conquest rebate? by onlyagirl  Jun 04, 2003 (10:58 pm)

Hmmm, I had a Mercedes...didn't get a "conquest" rebate...just 2 weeks ago...is this a mfg deal? and is it too late for me to inquire about it??

AND

re: 11563 of 11575  Bonus cash???? by elevatorguy  Jun 05, 2003 (5:12 am)

Eric N or anyone that knows,
     Do you have any specific info as to when the bonus cashrebate began or ended? I may be entitled to another $500 here and will try to get it if I am. All info will eb greatly appreciated.

=====================
    I live in Illinois down near St Lous and the $500 conquest cash was for driver's of other model cars. I just had to show my current registration of my Honda (which I sold after purchasing the Bravada). Guys -- I think you get this conquest OR $500 for taking the 24 hour test drive as my rebate was listed as conquest/test drive. The $500 Memorial day rebate came up the week before Memorial day and was good for deliveries through 2 June. Applied to Bravada and I am not sure what all other GM models.

My extra $750 military discount is self explanatory. Just want to say thanks to all the businesses out there giving military specials. Going to Disneyworld this fall, they are giving me free 5 day pass and I get $99 5 day passes for each of my family members. Also able to get significantly discounted resort stay.

thanks,
    Jay
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    how close to the bean salad plant do you live in Ohio?

Frank
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Wow it went over your head host...

Now you get it! Hydrogen gas is so light that its buoyancy and molecular speed take it very far over your head and, in fact, right out into space!

Nevertheless, there is a LOT of hydrogen all around us locked up in water and rock above, on and below the Earth's surface. This makes hydrogen a natural resource. Separating it from its molecular bonds is the part most people overlook in discussing hydrogen fuel technology - there is an upfront energy cost to accomplish that and it isn't cheap.

tidester, host
  • ericn1ericn1 Member Posts: 5
    I live in Mass. and actually bought the Trailblazer on Memorial Day, so maybe the $500 was a Memorial Day weekend incentive.

In my paperwork, there is a sheet that lists the incentives and the GM Incentive Code:
    consumer cash $3,000 cne
    bonus cash $ 500 bfa
    gm card rebate $ 502.09 udc
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hmmmm GAM2..

Well.. honestly, I think that mine would whip the crap outta the 6 cylinder in the XL model line (SMILE), but you could be correct.. maybe it just "feels" faster. The I6 in the shorties is adequate though, but I thought that it was a little "over worked" in the extended models, at least the one that I test drove? Especially for the lead footers!

I lifted this bit from an aritcle in Motor Trend's Road Test Archive (online) of the 2003 Envoy SLT XL V8 and V6:

"Available in 2WD and 4WD, the Envoy XL tips the scale at about 300 lb heavier than the Envoy, so the V-8 doesn't feel much quicker than the six. Put a load on the hitch, though, and the V-8's low-end grunt is appreciated--so is the Corvette-like exhaust note."

Check out the full report at MT's website under Road Tests -- SUV's, 2003 Envoy SLT XL. It doesn't give much, but I appreciate what they had to say. SAME APPLIES TO Edmunds too.. Excellent sources for information! :-)

Thanks!

IExplore2000
  • ees1996ees1996 Member Posts: 31
    I need some insight on an issue. The engine on my 2002 TB would only knock when the engine was cold. After awhile the engine developed a VERY loud knock. Sounds like what others described as a cylinder sleeve problem. I got it towed to the dealer and they have had the truck for 3 days now. I need to know about a rental and about this problem. Can anyone help. It is under warranty. They made me produce maintenance records before they went into the engine. The service rep did not like the fact that I could produce ALL of them including silicone lube for the weather stripping. I guess they were gonna try to cancel my warranty. Any input will be appreciated. They got the car gutted at the moment. Am I entitled to a rental? Thanks fellow Triplet owners.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    ees1996, if the problem your triplet has is the slipped cylinder sleeve, it is not a maintenance issue. Mine crapped out at 2100 miles. They had a few bad engines early on. Mine was replaced with no questions asked, and yes a loaner is in order. If the engine has to be replaced, it will take several weeks. Depending on your mileage, you may be able to get a new engine, as opposed to a rebuilt one. Either way, contact Chevy customer service and demand an extended warranty on the engine. They will oblige if you persist. I hope your dealer is as good as mine was, I could not tell the engine had been replaced after the tech. worked on it. Good luck

Frank
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your Father's Oldsmobile Replacement:

First Drive: 2004 Buick Rainier

Steve, Host
    I also live in Mass. I did the paperwork on May 15th I think and took delivery on May 17th. Just over a week before Memorial Day. anyone know the exact start date of this rebate? I would not be surprised at all if I didn't qualify. I may be the unluckiest person in the world! I wonder if my dealer knew about the rebate. I would certainly have waited a week to save $500. Where did you buy your truck, by the way, and did you like the dealership?

Thanks,
    Todd
  • eaziereazier Member Posts: 5
    SMFRAN: Where did you get the Denali Grill from? I have been looking around for a while now and my dealer has no clue on what I am talking about. Is it a Putco? Who manufactured it? Do you have any pics?

Thanks!
    "saw video on 2004 Envoy and just wanted to ask after watching the video I was wondering is this a regular envoy"

That's the "XUV" another variation on the long wheelbase platform - just in case you need to haul a refidgerator.
    So you reckon they will come out with a "T-Type" "Grand National" or "Gran Sport" version? Supercharge a 5.3 - that would be fun.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    That would be fun but I don't see the point of overly souped up SUV's. All that power is wasted on something that is heavy and handles like an elephant on roller skates.

There is a supercharger available for the 5.3, but you'd have to do some suspension modifications or else you'd be making a deathtrap.

I'd rather just have a normal SUV and a fast car to deal with those times when I need to regress. Whoops, already got that.
    I will go after that extended warranty for the engine. Thanks for the input the truck is at 35234 miles. Not a problem up to this point. had to replace a O2 sensor and that was all. Just got some new rubber and it rides fine. My tire dealer did say that there might be a problem with the tire rod end. I will bring that up to the dealer. They have fully torn the engine down and now they are saying that chevy MIGHT pay if they dont find anything. Also the service rep said that if i got a rental chevy might pay for that. I want to bring this stuff up but hey since it is so close to warranty they might stick me with a "second rate" engine. Thanks for the input ficuss.
    was thinking of a more street-tuned version with a lower stance, stiffer sway bars, wider tires, quicker steering ratio, etc to compete with something like the Nissan Murano / Infiniti FX45/35 ON-road SUVs.
  • bigtoys1bigtoys1 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased an 03 Envoy SLE, along with the $3000 rebate, I received a $500 Memorial Day Bonus rebate. This offer was for residents of the "North East Region" towards the purchase or lease of the following 2002/2003/2004 models.

Cadillac: Escalade EXT $1000
    Chevrolet: Malibu, Trailblazer, Trailblazer EXT
               $500.
    Olsmobile: Grand Am, Grand Prix $500
    GMC: Envoy, Envoy XL $500

Memorial Day Bonus Cash expired on 6/2/03.
    Called the dealer they reported that the engine is out of the car and they said that the problem is that two of the Main Bolts broke. Did not give me a solution when that is happening. The guy on the phone said that there will be no "extra" warranty when they but the engine back toghether. Also the guy said that they have to wait for word from chevrolet on how to remove the broken bolts to drill them out or another method. Of course I get a call AFTER the rental agency at the dealer has closed so I have to wait until monday to get a rental. Anyone elses main bolts break?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I'd like to hear from anyone who previously drove the last generation Explorer ('95-'01). Is your Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada a significant improvement over the Ex? Is there anything about the Ex you liked better than the comparable feature/behavior of the GM SUV?
  • mcali17mcali17 Member Posts: 22
    The Envoy XUV is a 5 passanger vehicle.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    When I was a GM service mgr. if we did warranty work, it was covered for the remainder of the normal warranty period or 1 year and 12k which ever was longer.