Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• brunopuntzjonebrunopuntzjone Member Posts: 22
    I think the website and Edmunds are not quite what the LS TBs on the lots were. Of the 10 or so I saw on the lot here, they were all well equiped.

Had cruise, rear window defogger, etc.

I doubt she could even find one that didn't, judging by the ones I've seen.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's probably some discussion about this in the Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) discussion, but I'd be careful to make sure the fan blades are clean before blowing air from a leaf blower gizmo on my newly washed car.

Steve, Host
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    From what I can see on Edmunds regarding next years models, it looks like the locking differential is no longer being offered as an option.

Isn't the locking differential required in order to get traction control on the 2WD model?

Had not read anyone else mention they charge $50 extra for the 3.73 or 4.10 ratios now?

The window sticker on my '03 Envoy XL shows $0.00 for the 3.73 gears. I bought it last December, so maybe they have started charging for it now?
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    somehow, standing in a puddle of water with an electric power tool....just doesn't sound very smart.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Could you elaborate where and how to replace the faulty switch? I'd rather do it myself than have to sit out the whole day without my truck.

btw, I had mine replaced back in Jan/Feb. and it's now the A/C's blowin hot air again. Geez.

Many thanks.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    "somehow, standing in a puddle of water with an electric power tool....just doesn't sound very smart. "

Most leaf blowers are gas powered.
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Dawn detergent (the brand most recommended) is used selectively and indeed should not be used as your routine car shampoo since it removes any wax. It is used only when you WANT to remove the old wax and road grime in preparation for preparing the paint (i.e. claying, etc) before applying a fresh polymer or car wax. So a Dawn wash would normally only be necessary once a year or so. But once you wash with Dawn, then you MUST reapply a wax or polymer. Then for your weekly washes you can use one of the formulated shampoos made for cars. But for cleaning off all previous waxes, etc., the vast majority of car detail websites and discussion groups recommend Dawn; that's where I learned to use it. I use the Dawn once a year, reapply polymer, then all the routine washes after that are with Meguiar's Liquid Gold car wash. I occasionally apply some Blitz wax afterwards. As far as drying, I have fallen in love with the Absorber that you can get at WalMart and similar stores; one pass over the car and no streaks or spots. It can be used for lot of other things too. I take one to the lake and dry my body after a swim. It's incredible how much it can absorb; I guess that's why it got its name :)
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    Before I go search the warranty boards thought I would check here. When I purchased my TB a year and a half ago, I also purchased an extended warranty through the dealer from Olympicare Service Plan which is insured by National Warranty Insurance Co here in Lincoln NE. I financed the warranty with the TB for 3 years at 0% interest through GMAC.

Long story short - National Warranty Insurance Co is soon to be liquidated. Since I financed the warranty payment with the TB through GMAC, HOW CAN I STOP PAYMENT OF THE DEAD WARRANTY PORTION OF MY MONTHLY GMAC PAYMENT?

There have been many articles in our local paper because this will cause the loss of 150 jobs. I know, I should have done my homework regarding warranties but since this was my first American vehicle and a 1st year model..... I live and learn the hard way. SO WHAT SHOULD I DO? I only have 20,000 miles on the TB and the warranty is a 6 year 90,000 mile warranty.
  • lawrencew1lawrencew1 Member Posts: 15
    I have an '03 Envoy and the map lights and visor mirror lights stopped working! Does anybody know if they are related to a fuse? Which one? Location? Also, everybody who is experiencing A/C problems, are you hearing a hissing sound?
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Question is, did GMAC simply pay the premium to NWI in full when you bought the TB and include that amount in the total financed deal, or are they paying in installments which I doubt. I hate to say it, but you might be stuck unless you can managre to get a refund from NWI.
    I don't know how GMC paid NWI. I just called the dealer that sold it to me and they said to mail them the contract and they would see what the could do. They pretended like they had not heard of this yet. WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I JUST REDUCED MY MONTHLY PAYMENT TO GMC BASED ON THE PRORATED PORTION OF THE BANKRUPT WARRANTY???
    I emailed a guy I know that owns a Ford dealership (Prestige Ford) here in D-FW. Here's what he replied:

"I'd go back on the dealer...they should immediately cancel the warranty and give a refund for the unused portion. "

As far as reducing your payment, GMAC would likely give you a negative for underpayment on your credit report.

Go for a refund and apply that to the GMAC balance.
    warranty are not related and are two separate issues. If you underpay GMAC, you'll be demanded to bring the account up to par, or your vehicle will be reposessed.
    The Selling dealer sold you an aftermarket warranty and included it in the note financed by GMAC. The Dealer sold you the policy that went belly-up, GMAC just loaned you the money to pay for it with.
    That is what I figured. Thanks for the help! Now it's off to the dealer I go to see what they can do for me... Am I crazy enough to buy a GM warranty if I do get the money back? I've always held my vehicles for 8-10 years (but that was a '84 Toyota Celica and '92 Isuzu Amigo). The TB does have MANY minor(subjective) issues for which "most" have been fixed. I never thought a vehicle purchase could be so stressful...
  • gmdronegmdrone Member Posts: 78
    Just thought that I would let you know that after 23 years of working for the General, I have crossed paths with management, and I have left GM! I am now working for American Sunroof at the Lansing Assembly Plant, where we are building the Chevrolet SSr. I just wanted to let you guys know that I didn't forget about you, but I was forced out of my job by a vindictive boss who thought that it was more important to climb the ladder than it was to build a good product. I'll be looking in from time to time, Good Luck, Mark
    Happy landings in your new job. Feel free to spread the rumors from your old buddies at GM now and then :-)

Steve, Host
    "In an answer to its dealers' prayers, Saab Cars USA Inc. will get an SUV based on the Chevrolet TrailBlazer for the 2005 model year."

Saab promises 'different' SUV

Stay tuned in Future Vehicles for more....

Steve, Host
  • darlenefdarlenef Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 TB. Recently, I found out that the vehicle will not make a sharp left hand turn while in 4 high. If you try to turn into a driveway or parking lot, the vehicle pretty much comes to a complete stop and will not move until you take it out of 4 high.

I took it to my local dealer and was told that this is normal.

I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem and if they've found a solution.

Thanks
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I've been thinking about buying a Major Guard plan for my '03 Envoy XL (2WD, 6-cyl). My dealer wants $1250 for the 72 month, 75K mile plan with $100 deductible. Does that price sound about right for this vehicle?
    "Saab Cars USA Inc. will get an SUV based on the Chevrolet TrailBlazer for the 2005 model year."

They will have some reconfigurin' to do to get the ignition switch mounted on the hump between the front seats!

Glad to see a post from gmdrone!
  • mdavis69mdavis69 Member Posts: 6
    We purchased a 60mo/75k GM major guard warranty for our 2002 Envoy SLT. We didn't elect for a deductible. We paid $1,340 with the GM family discount.

Has anyone noticed a difference in their triplet when using synthetic vs. regular oil? My husband forgot to tell the dealership to use synthetic oil last time he took it in for an oil change. It seems to run rougher and louder with the regular oil. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed or if it was just me.
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Quick question, does anyone know what percentage the factory tinting is on the Envoy? I am taking mine in tomorrow for the two front windows to be tinted at 35% (the max allowed in MO)

Thanks!
    you're not supposed to be driving on dry pavement in four-wheel drive, ever. Not to chastise you, but if you'd broken something, the repair would have been on you (thousands of $$) instead of GM.

The 4x4 system isn't designed to be free of kickback while driving, there is slippage when turning on ice and snow that you'd never feel, because you're on ice and snow.

Save yourself a whole bunch of money, and don't drive in four-wheel drive on dry pavement.
  • rye78rye78 Member Posts: 16
    I had my windows tinted. And I had the same question because I wanted mine to match the factory tinting. Well I found out that the factory tint percentage is printed on the window. Mine said (18 +/- 2%) on the rear drivers side door in the bottom left corner when looking from the outside. I ended up getting 15% tint and it was a bit darker than the factory. By the way, tint in Illinois on the front and driver/passanger side windows is illegal. Any amout of tint is illegal. But I have an unlimited free get out of jail free/get out of a ticket free card.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    Any amout of tint is illegal. But I have an unlimited free get out of jail free/get out of a ticket free card.

You must be one of those people that always pull me over when I'm trying to get someplace.
  • loudornloudorn Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,
    I can't seem to get a straight answer on where or how to get to the trailer wiring under the dashboard. I just bought a 2003 TB LS. I have a Brake Actuator, but don't know how to access the wires to hook it up. The TB manual says the hook up is under the drivers side dash but not exactly where. Do I have to take down any plastic panels to get to the wires? Is there a hot lead up at the battery that needs to be hooked up?
    I'll be towing my motorcycles, with an enclosed trailer.
    Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks, Lou D.
    loudorn@yahoo.com
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "Could you elaborate where and how to replace the faulty switch? I'd rather do it myself than have to sit out the whole day without my truck."

If you can give me your email address I'll send you info.

"btw, I had mine replaced back in Jan/Feb. and it's now the A/C's blowin hot air again."

Just remember you may have other problems with your A/C and this switch might not be the solution.
  • loudornloudorn Member Posts: 2
    Ok, Folks here is what I found so far.
    I took 2, 9/32" screws out of the black plastic under the dash and then it snapped out and lowered to reveal the wiring harnesses.
    On my 2003 TBlazer, I found the 4 wire harness with a white printed tag on it. The wires are taped up on their ends. The 4 wires were under the dash taped to the main harness that runs along the left side of the steering column.
    There are 2 heavy gauge and 2 light gauge wires.
    The Tag described the wires as follows:
    DRKBLU=AUX
    ORN=BATT
    BLK=GRND
    LTBLU=CHMSL

The Brake Actuator wires are coded as follows:
    White=Grnd
    Red=Stop Light
    Black=Battery
    Blue=Brake

Can someone please tell me what color wires connect together. I can figure the Ground wires out but the
    others I'm not certain about.
    Last thing. On the Trailblazer the Light Blue and the Black wires are very thin. Why are they such a light gauge wire? All four Actuator wires are heavy gauge, about the same as the 2 heavy ones on the Trailblazer.
    Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the Long post. I hope this helps someone else in the future.
    Thanks Much, Lou D. loudorn@yahoo.com
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    I am very happy to see the last posts on trailer wiring as I need to connect my controller this weekend.
    On the question of silicon water blades.
    I have been using the "California Water Blade" for 2 plus years and love it.
    Yes you need to wipe with an absorbant towel afterwards, but time is greatly reduced when first scraping off 90% of the water.
    Got mine at Targea (Target for english speakers)
    Think I might try the high velocity air method but wonder if using a compressor is really a good idea. Isn't there usually some lubricant product in most tanks to help prevent corrosion??? I know at work for example, there are oil filters on all compressed air locations where contamination would be a concern.
    I have both a compressor and a shop vac. My shop vac motor is detachable from the tank so I can assure no dust coming from the tank while using for the car.
    If you are ever curious to see how "NOT" clean the exhaust air is, fasten some cheese cloth to the exhaust port and run the blower for a few minutes. You do not want to breath this stuff nor blast it on you car at 100MPH
  • darthkimdarthkim Member Posts: 7
    I can't read the language, but it appears to be some prototype pics of the new saab 9-7.

http://www.vtm.be/autowereld/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1611&sid=6

Judge for yourself..I think it looks a bit more of a van rather than a suv... also the rear end looks pretty long.. I like the exhaust on the first pic though.
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    Wherebouts in MO do you live? I live on the KS side of southern KC (also allows a 35% max) but I did a lot of investigating before getting my TB tinted. Almost anyplace is willing to tint your windows to an illegally dark degree, if you're willing to pay cash and a bit of a premium. I was quoted anywhere from $60 to $120 to tint mine to 20% to match the rears. Ended up paying $75, AND the guy actually came to my house and did it my garage while I drank a beer. Talk about service, and he did a great job.
    I live just outside of the St Louis area in St Charles. I was quoted $62 to do the two front windows. I did not even try to ask him to do the fronts to 20%. (since I can't seem to find my "Get out of a Ticket Free" card!)
    I figure that 35% is much better than nothing! Sounds like you got a good deal, kgbkahnk, if the guy came to your house and did it for ya. My fiance just had all of his windows on his Grand Prix tinted by this same guy and he did a great job so here's to hoping he continues his trend and does well with mine! I pick my Envoy up today after work so we'll see how well it looks.
    Keep in mind, the front door windows (and windshield too) are already slightly tinted to 70% light transmission, so putting 35% trans tint film on the door glass will yield about 24-25% trans. (which technically isn't legal here in Texas either - 35% is the legal limit) Visually, my front door windows almost match the rear door factory tinted 18 +/- 2% glass as a result. An inquiring police officer would have to use a Light Transmission Densitometer to measure the actual light trans through the glass with the tint film applied. And in some states and jurisdictions, they are equipped to do just that.
  • rye78rye78 Member Posts: 16
    I'm not one of those kind! I love cars myself so I don't mess with other people who just want their car to look good!
    This will be a short one. Just got through talking to a guy that came by to give me a roofing estimate. He drove up in a loaded '02 Envoy: Leather, DIC, Bose, Auto-levelling, the works. Noticed his build date 9/01 so I asked him how many miles, he replied "44,600" and I asked have you had any problems he said "now that you mention it, I have a burned out headlight so I am taking it in later to get that fixed" That was the only thing he said has failed so far. Amazing.
    I meant you must be a cop. You said you have an unlimited get out of jail/get out of tickets card.
    That can only mean you're a cop. Or maybe you have cop connections.
    One of my reasons got getting an SUV was that I figured I wouldn't need to drive it as fast and I'd get less tickets. Then I got a ticket for making a rolling stop. Oh well.
    "I have a burned out headlight so I am taking it in later to get that fixed" That was the only thing he said has failed so far. Amazing.

That is pretty amazing. Taking it to the dealer to change a headlight?
  • iceprizmiceprizm Member Posts: 2
    I was interested in buying the borla exhaust, but was told by borlas tech. guys that it wouldn't work (because of the air suspension) without some mods, something about moving brackets. I'm wondering if anyone here has made it work, and can tell me how.
    "Taking it to the dealer to change a headlight? "

While he's there getting the oil changed. Two things I would do myself.
  • richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
    First trip to the garage. Not too complicated yet. The tires had to be balanced again. I guess the first dealer had its machine off. I had the alignment re-done. It was pulling hard right. They had difficulties fixing it, had to switch the front tires from left to right, then turn the left one on the wheel. It still pulls right slightly, but very little. May have it looked at before long. I think one tire is bad. The last fix was my vent visors. Great piece of kit, much more useful then I expected. No air noise at all. However, the first dealer had it installed wrong.

I pulled my trailer (3000 lbs) over 400km last weekend. On "D", it pulls fine, but has a bit of a hard time on very stiff hills. I find that it doesn't shift down fast enough. However, if I put it in "3" before a major hill, going at 100km/h, 110km/h, I have no problem keeping up and can even pick up speed. The manual says you can either pull on "D" or on "3". I doubt there is any problem in shifting between both manualy?
  • celebrimborcelebrimbor Member Posts: 10
    "Taking it to the dealer to change a headlight? "

Why not, I did with my Trailblazer. It was covered under warranty and cost me $0. I did replace my own taillight, but that I broke myself, backing into a tree. . .
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    and reduced wash/dry and armor all of tire down to 65 minutes, a new record. Drying using the silicone blade and towel touch up takes me almost 90 minutes. Don't know if I'd do it again though. I have an electric leaf blower and even though I moved the Envoy to a dry location I was concerned about safety and of course there's the noise to deal with--no I didn't use my ear plugs. The real problem of drying is getting rid of water spots and they still show up on Polo Green no matter what you do. At least I notice them.

'02 Envoy XL SLT with 22K miles still in show room condition and rides like brand new, feels like a keeper.
    Happy Motoring
    Chris
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    Hi group...I just received a warranty app in the mail from United American Warranty in Arlington, Texas. Dosn't look too bad. Anyone have any experience with this outfit? Thankx
  • tripicchiotripicchio Member Posts: 10
    i own an 02 Envoy with the base stereo, (it may be one of the worst-sounding base systems in any 30k plus vehicle)....has anyone replaced the 4 existing factory speakers with exact-size after market products?...if so, was there a noticable improvement in sound quality?
    There are some aftermarket warranty discussions over in the Finance, Warranty & Insurance Board. Try browsing the discussion list there.

Steve, Host
    Hi Folks-

I am thinking about removing my Envoy's shift knob and replacing it with a nicer leather-wrapped one. Does anyone know how easy/difficult it might be to remove it and is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks!
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Took my 2002 Envoy SLT in this morning for the two recall items and the return of the wandering mirrors. Took about 30 minutes to take care of all of them. Still love it. Turned over 25,000 miles and it will be 2 years old on July 19th. Have had some minor glitches here & there but nothing really serious. Still get complements on how it looks (Indigo Blue with polished alloys & running boards. Added a Corsa chrome split exhaust tip too.) The only thing in the showroom I liked better was the $57,000 2003 Escalade.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    I have read many of the past posts on "Brake Controllers" and am confident I can find the wiring harness. What I can not determine by reading the manual is, which of the wires to connect to the corresponding controller wire. The hot and ground are easy.
    My Tekonsha Voyager controller requires I hook a wire to the "stop/turn lamps" and one to the "Trailer Connector". Can anyone tell me the corresponding wire on my TB that I need to hook each of these too?
    If yes, where was that information available???
    Thanks!!
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    your experience has been good. Indigo Blue was my second choice. My Envoy XL SLT is Polo Green.
    Happy Motoring,
    Chris