Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    When I first got my '02TB it had a resonant buzz-noise under certain loads and engine speeds - was a heat shield that was lightly touching where it shouldn't be against the transmission as I recall, between the exhaust or cat converter and the transmission. Bent it out a little to get some space and noise gone. Sometimes you can find noises like that by lightly tapping around on things underneath with a rubber mallet. Not that I recommend doing that yourself, but sometimes those annoying noises are very simple to fix.
    When I first saw the new Chevy Colorado I thought ..Why didn't they put THAT front-end on the Trailblazer.. including an actual bumper instead of this easily damaged painted plastic fascia stuff.
  • meharhaymeharhay Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I've had nothing but nightmares with my 2003 GMC Envoy XL - V8 - since I purchased in Early May. I'm tired of taking my Envoy into the dealer every month for something new.

The latest problem is an intermittent start problem. I have full battery power -- I know it isn't the battery -- (I'm on my Second Battery already) -- if I wiggle the gear shifter -- right/left/up/down for about 2 minutes I can then start my car. I may go 3-4 times without having the problem again. When I took it into the dealership they said they could not recreate the problem and the computer said there was nothing wrong.

Is anyone else having or had this problem? If it has been repaired, can you tell me what they did so I can let my dealership in on the fix?

I like the car -- but I hate that I'm on my 6th different problem in 7 months.

Thanks!

Mitch
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Wow, I didn't think that you'd go all spaztic over that?? Mood swings maybe...
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    Didn't sound "spaztic" to me, seems like a reasonable response to your curiosity.
  • gmc02gmc02 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I'm an owner of a 2002 Envoy. So far, I'm happy with it. Even with some minor problems I had before. I just discovered a problem, hopefully I can get your help. I turned on my A/C the other day when the engine is idle, I could see the RPM went down and surge up all the time than the engine stall. I tried it so many times, and it still does the same. Unless, I turn off the A/C.I tried to drive the car around, but the same thing happened. I brought it to my dealer ship and let them know what's going on. They said they can recalibrate it, but the problem won't go away unless the fuel injection cleaned($270.00). The car has 27K miles on it. It just doesn't make any senses to me. I owned 3 cars that had fuel injection, but never had to clean them or this kind of problem (their mileages :75K, 115K, 90K). The way the technician explained to me, somehow I just can't believe it. I've been on this site before I bought the car and until now, but never seen this kind of problem. Has anyone had this kind of experience? Please help.
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    gmc02, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that when the A/C is off your idle, accelerating, and driving is normal? And that your symptoms occur only when you turn the A/C on?--that it causes rough idling that surges up and down until it stalls? I would think that if there was a fuel injection problem, it would happen even with the A/C off--that it would cause a rough-running engine perhaps at idle and also when accelerating and driving. However, I've never had a fuel-injection problem on my Pontiac which has 132,000 miles, and never had it professionally cleaned; which makes 27,000 miles sound bizarre. Makes me wonder if that's some kind of computer problem or idle-control solenoid problem; I would think that when an A/C comes on that there's some kind of solenoid to increase the idle speed. But I'm not much of a mechanic, so I better shut up before I dig myself a deeper hole :) You could have gotten some "bad gas" somewhere, but that should cause you trouble idling without the A/C, too. We'll have to see if anyone else has had an A/C-idle problem.

I do run a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner through my tank occasionally. The cheap ones probably don't do much, but I've heard Chevron's Techron is pretty good prevention and have read a little about a stronger (and more expensive) one called BG 44K. Most major brand gasolines have cleaners in them, so I try to use major brand at least every other tank or when I can.
  • discofeverdiscofever Member Posts: 34
    I have experienced a similar problem if not the exact same situation on a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2000 Yukon I use to have. It sounds like the Throttle Housing is dirty with high carbon and oil build up. My suggestion is remove the Air filter connection(s) leading to the throttle housing, clean the throttle housing with a carburetor spray and rag, open the flap on the housing, spray and clean too. You may wish to replace the PVC valve and gas filter too.. Usually at 30K miles is a good time.
  • baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Hi, hope someone can help:

I have a 2002 Trailblazer 4x4. The problem is if my truck sits in the garage over a week long the initial starts rev the engine rpm high. This is understandable but the first 1/4 mile out of the garage was powerless from the engine. It looks like the truck reluctant to go and engine rev.s high. After the engine fully warm up then everything is normal. Program problem??

How do I know I have passive alarm system?

Anyone has the same problem like I do??
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    Typically the idle air control (IAC) will open slightly to admit more air into the intake when the engine rpm drops. This is done in response to the load of the ac compressor engaging.... or for that matter, any extra load. Your engine rpm should be around 650. The diagnostic tools used by a qualified dealer should be able to monitor what your system is doing when the ac is turned on. Try some fuel injector cleaner as mentioned by pepper50 (msg#13542)
    You mentioned the engine will actually stall. A less likely cause could be a pending compressor failure. For example, if it's load is such the IAC can't compensate for it.
    I suggest you get a second opinion.
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    I had a 'no-start' problem with my 03 EXT V8. Occasionally I would turn the key and nothing would happen except for the dash lights coming on, no crank. I would continue turning key off to start maybe four or five times and then it would start and be fine. Eventually got bad enough that it happened at dealer. Replaced ignition switch and no more problems. Never related it to the gear shift, but it was funny how it would start, then not, then yes on second try or sometimes fifth of sixth.

Good Luck
  • kpp14kpp14 Member Posts: 62
    lurker01 n7don macman246 caflyfish envoyowner tblazed iexplore2000 ylab cincyman medolark ficuss gam2
    I am fascinated with this issue and the fact that no one can champion it. I’m no scientist mechanic and have learned a lot from the board, (thanks guys). So I e-mailed 7 pages of your candid comments on “clunking” to my dealer who has never had anyone with this problem. This is a large volume dealer in Toronto, numerous bays ect . The “clunk” in my truck is barely noticeable and I’m not complaining. Lots of speculation from the trany guy though. They’ve taken your comments up the ladder in GM in a non threatening way. If it ever comes back down the ladder I’ll post it here. I’ll bet they’ve got a fulltime donut eating guy locked up in a room somewhere reading this site…….. Actually it would be in their best interest to read it wouldn’t it?.

Poping And Cracking Noise, I can get the rear passenger door small window to pop and crack just by pushing on it.

baltychen sounds like you’ve got the infamous “engine roar”. Search this site on that one!

Ok, Who’s got the most snow so far? Not me for sure. And who has a good rip snorting slip sliding almost trashed my truck cause of that idiot story?
    "the first 1/4 mile out of the garage was powerless from the engine. It looks like the truck reluctant to go and engine rev.s high."

Problems like you describe have been addressed with recalibrations especially on '02s. If you are still in warranty (otherwise they will charge you) you need to go to your dealer and have them reprogram the PCM with the latest versions. Listed below are some of the problems addressed:

calibration to correct cold start idle surge and hesitation

calibration to correct cold start/shift problems

new calibration to address complaints of fan noise

new calibration for improved fan control
    Here's something different for the Envoy owners that kinda like the TrailBlazer-style tail lights...

"Ok, Who’s got the most snow so far? Not me for sure."

Response from east of Phoenix... zero and counting!

I'm sure our Canadian winter visitors would keep the folks back home informed if it did!
  • gmc02gmc02 Member Posts: 2
    First of all, I'd like to say thanks to you guys for respond to my message.
    Pepper50, The A/C is on when the engine is idling - than it would surge up and down until it stalls. When I drive the car with the A/C on, then it would cause a rough-running. But when I turn the A/C off, everything is normal.
    Discofever, would it be normal if the Throttle Housing is dirty with high carbon and oil build up? If so, is it because of bad gas or what else? I'm going to clean the throttle housing. the fuel filter on the Envoy, do you know where it might be? Also, where is the PVC vale? I'm not much of a mechanic. But I'm a handy guy.
    I'll keep you guys posted.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    I have these tail lights on my '03 Envoy also. Would post a pic if I knew how.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    See message 10937.
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I have side air bags, whats your issue?
    around 12" so far this year about 5-8" on the ground, its gonna melt by Tuesday, but by the end of the week looks like more Lake Effect!!!

Southtown of Buffalo NY!!
    tblazed,

Who sells these lights, where can I pick up a Pair?
    Sounds like the "Idle throttle Module" controls transmission, Symptoms: Engine revs high, loss or reduction of engine to transmission interchange.
    "Throttle Housing is dirty with high carbon and oil build up? "

These have the electronic throttle control [non-permissible content removed]'y, the throttle plate controls the amount of air-only at that point into the intake manifold, and the fuel is directly injected right at each cylinder intake port, well down the path from the throttle plate, I don't really see how fuel quality or anything else would cause a carbon buildup at the throttle plate.

"If so, is it because of bad gas or what else? "

You could have some injector clogging from fuel. Get a 20 oz bottle ( or 2-12 oz bottles) of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector or System Cleaner and run that through it, and try a different brand of gas known to have more than the minimum detergent additives (Chevron, Shell, etc) for a few tanks.

"I'm going to clean the throttle housing. the fuel filter on the Envoy, do you know where it might be?"

Located under the vehicle ahead of the fuel tank, under the L rear seat area. There is a special procedure to do that- search this board for details how to.

"Also, where is the PVC valve?"

There is no PCV "valve" per se in these 4.2s. There is a PCV tube that goes between the intake manifold and the engine block, and another air intake tube that goes from the air resonator to the valve cover, but there is no serviceable PCV valve.
    Do a search for "02 Envoy tail lights" on eBay.. you might find a few. (NOT an endorsement! Just one source of many I presume.)
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    My point was that if some people were bothered without having side-CURTAIN airbags. It seems to be the new standard in safety, and oddly the GM midsizers don't have them. What's more odd is the fact that the Vue has them.
    n7don, back on August 06 (120*f in your town?)you posted regarding the oil cooler. Do you have any words of wisdom on its usefulness now?

aldan93 I'm planing a trip to Rochester over the holiday. Does the Buffalo snow lake effect get over there to?.... I'm actually working on a project that would have a high speed, car carrying ferry go between Toronto and Rochester but right now the cities are too busy trashing each other.
    rctennis wrote:
    My point was that if some people were bothered without having side-CURTAIN airbags. It seems to be the new standard in safety, and oddly the GM midsizers don't have them.

Nope, people don't seem to be bothered.
  • medolarkmedolark Member Posts: 93
    Clunk, Clunk,

The other day I stopped on an incline with nose down and noticed more severe clunking tban ever before on level ground. Also, on another occaision when I expected some clunking, I pressed the brake harder than what was necessary to keep the vehicle from rolling forward - result- no clunk. Could it be that what we are experiencing is a slight rotation of the rear axle relieving friction somewhere in the drive train? I really would like to understand this, but I will not obsess over it. My Enovy runs too damn good to get overly excited about it at this point.

I will sure be interested in what you hear from your dealer.
    expect snow in rochester!! it gonna melt this week but expect it for the weekend!!!!
  • varsitysgvarsitysg Member Posts: 5
    After a relatively trouble free first two years, my '02 TB just turned 30k miles and suddenly a bunch of problems have cropped up. Front pass side window stopped working, was fixed by dealer.
      On the same visit they failed to repair a problem I have with the Service 4wd warning light on the dash coming on about every other time I drove. When the warning light was on, the indicator light for 2wd, auto 4wd,... was out. Dealer replaced a switch, but problem wasn't fixed.
      Have some other problems but will list them on a seperate post to avoid clutter.
  • varsitysgvarsitysg Member Posts: 5
    Some more issues at the 30k mile mark.
      -Taillight out.
      -Strange "whooshing sound from dash panel when turning ignition on and off. Seems to happen when the gauges are dialing up and down at start and turning off of ignition. When gauges reach their true reading the noise ends.
      -Clunking sound when accelerating moderately hard from a stop or cruising.
      - Very intermittent problems with the a/c. Happened only twice where a/c would suddenly go out for a day or so, then return to working normally.
      Warranty ends soon and hope I won't be in for some serious repair bills in the upcoming year.
      Any insight would be appreciated. Have appt with dealer next week.
    The only midsized SUVs I am aware of that have side-curtain airbags standard are the Volvo XC90 and Cadillac SRX. There may be some others. You need to shop around if the optional side air bags in the front seat backs on the Trailblazer, Envoy etc. aren't suffecient to make you feel "safe". I kinda like that Caddy SRX with the Northstar V8 myself... that should haul home the goods from Home Depot!
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I liked the SRX too until I saw the price! At almost $60,000 for a fully loaded model, it is certainly no value leader. If someone wants the side curtain bags so bad they are willing to spend an extra $20,000, then more power to them! I'll have to wait until after the Powerball win!!!
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    dlare - Thanks for the response on the cargo carrier. I've got my eye on the Thule Cascade 1700, but I'm concerned about weight issues. I know you aren't supposed to put more than 110 lbs. in it, and the carrier itself weighs 40 lbs. Is 150 lbs. too much for the Envoy XL's crossbars to handle? Also, how well does the Thule's clamp system work on the Envoy's semi-flat crossbars?
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    I purchased a Thule mountaineer ski box last year. After putting 4 pairs of skiis in there and some boots, I could tell that the crossbars were under too much stress. They were bending way too much for my liking. I ended up getting the thule feet and crossbars. I wouldn't put more then 100lbs on there. Good luck!
    Every vehicle I've used to pull a trailer I've installed an aux. cooler. That includes a 98 Pont. Montana @ 93K miles & 95 S-10 PU @ 95K miles. The cooler is just an added insurance but like many things of this nature, the average person doesn't/can't do a long term A-B test to know if it really makes a difference. I do know the oxidation rate of oil doubles for every 18-20 degs. above 200 and I do have a temp. gage and the highest temp. I've measured pulling a 2800lb popup was under 200F. I also change the filter and oil in the trans. pan yearly using the recommended ATF. If you arent' pulling a trailer, for routine daily driving I don't think an aux. transmission cooler is needed. Let me know if more info is wanted. If so, after the holidays I'll try and post a few pictures. tblazed has directed me to the info on how to do it, I just have to impliment the process.
    Since I make the installation myself, the $75+/- spent is worth it to me for the peace of mind.
    BTW only once in the 30+ years living in the Phx area has it exceded 120. I think the record was 122 and I couldn't tell the difference between 122 and 115!!
  • envoyedenvoyed Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the photos of your Envoy with the aftermarket tail lights. I also have an '03 which is Magnetic Red and was considering the black version of these lights. I think they look great. Now I'll just shop around for the best price.
       Thanks again, Ed Haywood
    N7don, thanks for the reply…interesting. In your post #12434 you mentioned that: .
    “I noticed the Castrol ATF stated "Meets the new anti-shudder performance and sprag gear wear requirements of the DEXRON-III specification"
    Do you remotely think that using non conforming oil would seriously impact sprag gear wear so much that the truck would “clunk”?. Maybe not. What are the chances of all the clunkers using crappy oil? (try to be an oil/clunk scientist for a second) I think clunking is more slip yoke related.
    Oh yes, I guess I did the conversion wrong (120*f would be 48*c). That’s darn hot! I bet you could fry an egg on the hood of my black truck. Actually I noticed that the Envoy hood insulation works very well. When you get a block of ice or snow on hood in the morning, the engine heat doesn’t dissipate as quickly through the metal and takes longer to melt it than other vehicles. Ah, now there is a bonus feature.
    I wish I could take credit for that gorgeous candy apple red Envoy, but it is owned by Don, N7DON. My plain ol' white Trailblazer LS isn't nearly as pretty!
  • lauricellalauricella Member Posts: 3
    Hello

2002 Black LTZ w/31K here and for the most part, minimal problems.

I think my vehicle is quite good looking, that is until I look at the " spackled " area just in front of the rear wheels.

For those that havent noticed, or are lucky enough not to have this problem, take a good look at the area between the rear door and in front of the rear wheels. Does it look like you hit it with a sandblaster? I guess rocks/stones/pebbles/rock salt are in direct line with area, shooting directly off the front tires.

Its my opinion that this is a design defect. Has anyone sucessfully had any type of repair done under warrenty? We shouldn't have to live with this type of problem on a 35K+ vehicle.

Why should I have to go out and buy that 3M clear crap....

Any info is appreiciated

Mike
    This issue is exactly why I ordered the factory running boards and added the GM splash guards as soon as I picked up my Envoy in July of 2001. After 31000 miles there are virtually no chips at all. The warranty is not going to cover it as it is normal wear and tear, just like stone chips on the hood or windshield or door dings. The Chevy/GMC pickup body style that started in 1973 was notorious for this kind of chipping due to a similar design. The design adds to the appearance of the vehicle. This can be avoided by driving a slab sided box on wheels. The tradeoff is that if you want style there can be a price. There are a number of SUV's and other vehicles in all price ranges that have exactly the same problem. Sorry to not be encouraging, but it is a fact of life and there is nothing that GM can or will do about it.
    That was the general consensus to protect the paint on the rear wheel flares, or some 3M Stoneguard protective film put on before the paint gets damaged.
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    I refused to drive my 2002 LTZ off the lot without first having both the running boards and the moulded mup flaps installed. (I actually got the dealer to "throw in" in the mud flaps). It will be two years of ownership next month without a single rock chip on the sides.

I'm afraid I must agree with hardhawk and tblazed on this one but, unfortunately, this doesn't help you now. It can't hurt to bounce this off your dealer. Who knows? Maybe they can do something for you. Let us all know what you learn.
  • baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Thank you for your advice. Today I took my truck back and hopefully the dealer fix everything as you indicated.

Thanks again.
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    The max roof rack weight for the crossbars is 220lb. I've had nearly that on mine and everything went fine.

The clamps work fine with the stock crossbars. They have rubber-coated steel bars that sandwich the crossbar.

Dean
  • lauricellalauricella Member Posts: 3
    Most other SUV's I see have some type of cladding in this area to protect.....Explorer,
    G Cherokee....

I just wasnt expecting such an oversight when I was forking over my 33.7K
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    Most other SUV's I see have some type of cladding in this area to protect.....Explorer,
    G Cherokee....

Most other ugly SUV's, that is! It's not an oversight. I hate plastic cladding and imagine plenty of other folks agree. I'd rather just get mud flaps. No Aztec styling for me!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I wonder what some of you have against some cladding? If you do, stay the hell away from Pontiac!!
    Which type of running boards are best? I notice even the factory boards come in 2-3 types. And would after-market side tubes like Westin help much? Of course they aren't as wide as the factory boards.
    For protection, the black, wide factory boards are hard to beat. Another option for boards that are painted to match are Star Boards, made in Kansas City. They are very nice and painted to match your factory color exactly. The tubes are more cosmetic than useful, in my opinion. They look really nice, bit don't offer much protection.

Happy holidays to all!!!!