Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    and I'll make no comments about the size of the fish or anything else :)

If you don't mind my asking, what was the temperature there? How warm does it get in summer where you are? We're thinking of doing the Inner Passage cruise sometime in the next couple summers, unless there's a better way of doing that same trip...

and yes, to keep on topic, wonderful how that huge cooler fit in the back of the MPV :)

best, and edging slowly toward being able to live with midnight blue,
    Carolyn
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If I may make a suggestion, put the MPV on the Alaska Marine Ferry and cruise the Inside Passage that way with real Alaskans instead of other tourists.

Plus you'll have a van at the northern terminus and you can hop over the 800 miles to Anchorage to have a cuppa with Java.

Steve, Host
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    That's the idea, Steve, being an ex-patriot and all. That's the proper way to travel! ;) Ajacat... it's all snow here, year round. Yeah, that's the ticket. We had a number of days in the 80s in early July, actually.

Rich, fish stories always grow. ;) By next week, I'm sure there will be an additional 20lbs added <w>
    Steve that is the coolest website. My husband and I are reading it and just imagining going there with our daughter. Java, thanks for your kind welcoming weather forecast...:)

I'm definitely bookmarking that site. Thanks so much.
  • 09norcim09norcim Member Posts: 8
    Hi MPV owners:

This is my first post. My local dealer has a 2000 MPV ES with 27,396 miles, with a sale price of $10,900. The price is good, ext./int. condition is very clean and miles are low. Althoguh, I have not driven it yet.

We want to make it a sibling of Honda Odyssey in our garage and replace the current car/Geo Prizm (Not big enough for day care trips and hassle to keep kids toys in the trunk).

My one concern is the 2.5 liter, V6 and 4 speed combo. How slow or underpowered this is? and what are other issues with 2000 MPV like smell etc. posted earlier on this board.

Thanks a lot.
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    The "problem" with the 2.5L is that people are afraid to rev it. If you have a Geo Prizm, you probably won't have that problem.

The only problem I've had with my 00 MPV is I've gotten my past two speeding tickets in the darn thing. One of them climbing and then cresting Mont Eagle (IIRC) north of Chatanooga, TN. Of course I was going over 100MPH with a car full of family, luggage and a car top carrier. Fortunately for me, once I proved once again to myself that the 2000 MPV was not underpowered by my uphill triple digit sprint, I slowed to 80.

Sadly for me, the limit was like 55, so I had to pay the man.

The tranny does seem to get confused from time to time, but usually that is when I am accellerating hard and then suddenly have to brake. There is a harsh upshift on those rare occassions.

I've recently posted my used oil analysis for both my 00 MPV and my 94 Geo Prizm and both seem normal, neither vehicle gets babied either. They do get good quality fluids, however.

http://tlcc2000.dyndns.org/Oil_Analysis/2000-MPV-Oil-Analysis-200- 3-07-28.jpg

http://tlcc2000.dyndns.org/Oil_Analysis/1994-Prizm-Oil-Analysis-2- 003-07-28.jpg

TB
  • 09norcim09norcim Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for replying. We are not aggressive drivers. Our Geo Prizm is the one with 3 gear AT.

I read that MPV 2000's 2.5L is made by Ford. Is this a reliable engine? How is your experience with your MPV as far as reliablility ? Any recalls? The high repair $s for 5 MPH hits are a concern.

Thanks a lot agian.
    you will find plenty here about the Duratec. (I own two, one is turbocharged now!!) It is a great engine, multi year winner of the Wards Automotive 10 best engines award.

Designed by Porsche for Ford using the Cosworth casting process, it's a pretty decent engine.

The waterpump is the weak link, and probably shoudl be changed pro-actively at 50K miles. It has a plastic impeller, and it may come apart or simply seperate from the metal shaft.

Napa makes a pump with a metal impeller and I've replaced the pump on my SVT Contour with the NAPA pump.

I believe a few vehicles were affected by some fuel rail and/or fuel pressure regulator problems. But at the dealer you can check to see that all recalls for the vehicle have been addressed.

TB
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Do you know if the 3.0 also has a water pump "issue" ?

Thanks in advance,

-brianV
    But if it does, it's really easy to change since it is on the back (drivers side) of the engine. It'll take you about an hour to do the job.

Supposedly Ford respec'ed the plastic for the impeller, but it is still plastic.

TB
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    I'm hearing rumors about substantial changes for the 04 MPV. Anyone have firm information?

Mark.
    ...is on the front of the driver's side of the engine, next to the battery. It's driven by a small belt off of the camshaft, apparently.

One of my projects this weekend was to change the oil for the first time (1000 miles - I'm old school). I took that opportunity to examine the engine compartment and find all the major components.

Obviously, I wasn't able to see if the water pump has a plastic impeller though...!

-brianV
  • dannyyodannyyo Member Posts: 14
    I was trying to do an oil change on my 2003 MPV LX this weekend. Little did I know that I wasn't going to be able to find the drain plug. I couldn't believe I couldn't find it. I looked through the manual and there was a drawing of it, but I still couldn't find it. I tried looking for a picture of it on the internet, but was unsuccessful. If anyone has a pic of it or knows of a link to a web site that has it please let me know. Thank you.
    during the last oil change.

It's on the back side of the oilpan, 15mm wrench. You probably can't fit a socket and ratchet back there.

TB
    Box-end wrench, or I like to use a 15mm ratcheting box end. Gotta love the Mac-Tool guy!

And, lol... right were you left it...
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    ok...there are alot of changes. I don't have all the details. But, lets start with the big stuff.

here are the all new items.....hood design, headlights,front renders, front and rear bumpers, grill, side sill extensions, alloy wheel designs, side markers, fog lights(ES), seat upholstery/trim, steering wheel, spring assist 3rd row, front pass side central locking door lock switch, illuminated front door switches, front and second row head rests, driver seat lumbar, pwr sliding doors(ES) 6 disc changer std on ES, dual passenger weight sensor airbags, front door storage pockets wth bottle holders, sirius radio ready head unit, chrome door handles(ES), rear disc brakes.

items dropped....privacy glass(LX), side moldings(LX),floor mats(LX)

LX Plus package.....priv glass, mats,moldings,windshiels sun shade, fog lights.

All sport pkg.....no longer includes fog lights or GFX

deleted colors... pure white, emerald mica, midnight blue, coastal blue, sand mica, sage.

new colors.....rally white, whitewater pearl, tsunami blue, nordic gree, cosmic sand, razor blue and titanium gray.

This should keep everyone talking for a while.
    Ahhh, so nothing like more power (you know, gotsta have more power, always, lol), awd (please oh please oh please), Automatic HVAC?

Still with those changes, it's not worth me waiting for a 2004 if I'm shopping a 2003 right now. :)
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Well, now both of our vehicles are 'classics' in that their respective colors were cancelled 1-2 years later.

Looks like they've addressed a few of the 'wants' list for many.

-Brian
    It's easy to tell once you've found it - it's the only bolt with a rubber washer on it. About level, not angled, facing to the rear, not the ground, just above the bottom of the oil pan (washer is about flush with the bottom edge).

hth,

-brianV
    has a waffle like grid pattern to it, btw.

-Brian
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Are the rear disks for all models, or just the ES?

Mark.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    it looks to me like all models get the rear discs....but like I mentioned, the details are a little sketchy.
    I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade our '03 with the '04 rear disks ?

hmmmm...

-brianV
    Rear disks? Hey cool!

Seriously though, awd needs to be on the plate for the MPV. Now that the Sienna has it, Honda is planning it, Dodge (ack!) has had it for eons. Well, maybe (small criticism...) since Mazda is always trailing a certain company... it'll come out a couple of years after *that* company makes the move to awd. BE A LEADER, MAZDA!!!
    hear hear! When we started shopping, the new sienna was on our list because of the awd (and only because of it).

I would *so* love it around here in OR--we were going for the Forester XT before we saw the back seat (or lack thereof)...maybe we can start a write-in campaign...

And I'm thinking--if we were to get an MPV this year so we'd have a van and not have to wait another year, would it be entirely stupid to get it and then trade it for the hybrid Sienna in a year or so? (opinions of the sienna excluded, please) -- I mean, if we get it for around 25 we won't lose *that* much on it, right? The hybrid aspect is so appealing to me that I might put up with toyota dealerships (I was gonna write you this javadoc--I'm so with you on that one--although avoid Beaverton Toyota, I've heard) to get one for the mpg. I don't like the cruise-ship aspect of it atlall, though.

The rear disc brakes are a WELCOME addition--anyone have a WAG on how much *would* it be to retrofit them? Would it be worth, then, waiting for the 2004s? I personally would like them very much. The Quest has them, I believe.
    Usually hits the hardest in the first year of ownership. The True Cost to Own tool can give you an idea of what to expect.

btw, I think rear disks may be overkill, esp. on a FWD minivan. The fronts are doing what, 90% of the work?

Steve, Host
    Well speaking of the 'Cruise Ship,' I'm planning on a full-tilt test drive of the Sienna tonight, to make sure we've "checked out all of the competition." However, at the price of the Sienna... holy cow, mother of pearl! We're talking about $10k difference if you load them up the same, then throw on the awd. So, awd for $10k? ;) I say this now... before the wisdom of a test drive...

Now if Mazda offered awd for a couple/three grand...

I agree w/Steve (omg, did I just type that? lol). IMHO, rear disks are really just gravy, but when I have to change brake pads/shoes... I hate changing rear drum shoes.

Personally, Ajacat, the I haven't heard much of anything about the hybrid, but I'm not too interested in that option, although the mpg statements are mighty nice. I think you'd be taking on a huge pile of depreciation if you bought this year and then sold next year to get a hybrid... or any other vehicle for that matter.

You know the deal on your MPV is killer though. I found one that still fits my specs... I wont' say where so that it doesn't get snatched from under my nose. I'll have to decide after testing the cruise-ship, ahem, Toyota. I already sent one Toyota/Lexus salesperson running for the hills...

Steve, I uh, will probably be in your neighborhood in the next week or so...
    I think you guys are underselling the rear disk upgrade - afterall, it depends on how you load the van. The MPV isn't too bad, weight distribution-wise, for a mini-van. Isn't it 58/42 (%, front/rear) or something, empty? My old Plymouth Sundance was 64/36! Even our Forester only manages 55/45.

If you load the van full of passengers (a reasonable scenario for a mini-van), you're going to see something near 50/50, since all of the passengers sit behind the front wheels, and 2 rows sit behind the mid-point of the wheelbase. Or, in our case, if you hang a 200# tongue weight on the rear, you're going to move the weight distribution back too.

EBFD helps, and the stock drums seem up to the task (good test results, anyway), but I'd rather see disks in the back for the improved cooling and easier maintenance. Besides, it fits better with the "Soul of a sport car, body of a mini-van" bit. How many sport cars are built today with rear drums?

Rear disks are one of the few things we really miss on our '03.

-brianV
  • hoopofficialhoopofficial Member Posts: 21
    When I am at a stop, the car wants to go. It seems as if the van wants to nudge forward. Is this just a transmission adjustment? Secondly, has anyone experienced problems with the brakes on 2002 EX. It seems that this van is shaking when I brake. Warped rotors in front? Any thoughts. 2002 still under warranty but I never had these types of problems with any other vehicle with just 13k on it. Thanks for the input
    I'm on my 3 set of front pads and 2nd set of rotors (first set was turned once) at 84,000 miles. I never think about the rear drums and they were looked at this morning getting new shoes for my van.

So for me, it's a matter of economics. Rear drums work fine on my minivan, and have saved me money.

Java, did you edit your message? I missed the part about you escaping to the sunny climes yesterday. The walls are going up on the Krispy Kreme, but I'm afraid it still won't be open in time :-)

Steve, Host
    Actually, I think it's closer to 88.638333% of the work by the front brakes, but if you want to take the NASA approach, then I guess 90% is 'close enough.' ;)

I suppose it'd be nice if you were towing. I'm a guy that likes peformance, but really, I don't think you'll even notice any difference w/rear disks on an '04 MPV.

No Steve, I didn't edit it (out). I'll be down there on some family matters... the short-notice type of trip. Take a whip to those construction workers at the KK site for me! Taking Kaladi orders...
    tomorrow as I'm visiting a customer 150 miles from Chez [non-permissible content removed] who loves KK.

And I have to keep my lady customers happy 8^)

Content: should I take the MPV, turbocharged SVT, or go for fuel economy and take the Geo?

TB
    Take the SVT. then (content) start figuring out how to put those, ahem, the enhancements from the SVT into the MPV.

<this is me not making the comment I want to make about your last post...>
    Yeah, I know it's silly, but I figured since we'd be getting it for 25, it wouldn't be like we paid 29 or anything...we might get scalped a *bit* less...

How was the HMS Sienna? :)
    The good ship Sienna? Good.. it was good... I'm reserving judgement, but not yet condemning... ;)

Depreciation? Well, after 4yrs, I figure my MPV is worth about $9k less than when I bought it, but $13k less than original MSRP.
    If we were to wait for the 2004 with the all-important rear-discs (just kidding kind of :)), what's the usual pricing for MPVs before clearance time? I just became acquainted with them recently. Do they go for near MSRP for a bit? Will the discounts start in December? What's their pattern, if there is one?

thanks
    Have you all looked at one, esp. the SE? I liked it a lot, big but to me drove like a car--price is comparable w/Sienna (i.e. unless several stocks come in, we're not there :)). That's why we wandered over to MPV land--although you know, a car sales guy who is a bit of a speedster took the Quest SE and the MPV out and said that the MPV handled better and was more fun generally--but the Quest might be more fun than the Sienna...and it's got all those beautiful skylights...just an idea.
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    Take it to the dealer. Friend of mine had the same brake prblem with brand new 2002 LX. They fixed at no cost.

mazda guy
    Initially they'll probably go for close to MSRP, especially with all the new features we've been teased with.

I don't believe there is a fixed pattern for when they start discounting them, it really depends on the market demand. IIRC, the '03's got discounted early on, and there's been a rebate for quite some time now.

-Brian
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Well, our local Mazda dealer shows that the 2004 Tributes are on their way and they already have a customer cash back of $1500 !!! :-)
    Thanks Brian and ace--I know with some cars it's just a matter of wait 'til December...but the early $1500 off the Tributes is a nice enticement to wait for what's behind door #2004...

On the other hand, a bunch of 2002s have suddenly cropped up, some with low mileage...we just may go with that, if we can find an ES w/power door.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Wait a minute...was that a Sienna and MPV Java was holding up while standing in the stream???
    Subtle reflection of "I'm up to my butt in muddy water decisions..."?
    ;))
    BTW - what did you think of the dashboard shifter? If they made it long enough they could compete with the MPV possibly.
    Alright you guys, I promise to stop obscessing over rear disks, already !

(But they still look a heck of a lot better, ha!)

:)

-brianV
    OH what a dilemma...what would you do? Can get a 2002 ES that, once we made it what we want (moonroof, other little items like roof rack, etc.), would be $2300 less than the best price we can find on an ES right now...

It's got 13K miles on it...but it would only have 1 year of the warranty left. A new one would have 4 years (because the 2002s only had 3 years).

What would you do? Money isn't so guaranteed right now, so the 2300 would be nice, but is that being penny-wise and pound foolish? Or is a program car a *must*-avoid?

any thoughts would be appreciated...
    elsie the Libra who can't make up her freakin' mind!
    Well, it's used, even if they call it a 'program' car. If it looks/feels/runs like new, AND you're comfortable with buying it used, then there shouldn't be a problem. I'd haggle with 'em a bit to see if they'll cut you some slack on a extended warranty (freebie? probably not), but that shouldn't be a deal killer.

-Brian
    hmmm...didn't mean to bother everyone *twice* with that. Some little glitch.

Brian, thanks for your reply. I had your very thought re the extended warranty--he said to get the equivalent warranty would be over 1K...the thing is that it's about 3 hrs. drive from us, and haggling isn't what I want to do, but I am so tempted by the price...

Re buying used: we've *always* bought used before, usually 3 y.o., but single owner trades or leases, not programs. Programs I see as one step above rentals, which would be out of the question for us because I know how we --ahem--drive rentals...

best
    elsie
    probably going to lose sleep over this tonight
    on another website--momentary lapse--
    I'm really Carolyn, just so no one gets confused :)
  • mazfan1mazfan1 Member Posts: 26
    I email MAZDA to try to confirm the changes on the 04 MAZDA MPV and this is what i got back:

MPV
     New headlights and combination light design
     New hood and front fender design
     New front and rear bumper design
     New front grille design
     New side sill extensions
     New 16" allow wheel design
     New 17" alloy wheel design
     Add side marker lights
     [non-permissible content removed] standard fog lights
    Wow, fog lights off the back. That's an interesting choice...;)
    If you refresh after posting, your message will get posted again. It's a *feature* of our software. The trick is to click on Recent Messages to see if anyone has replied since you posted (or go anywhere else in Town Hall and then come back to the discussion you were reading).

You can always delete your own posts at any time too (and sometimes a host will do a bit of housekeeping <g>).

Steve, Host