Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• king1079king1079 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a Trailblazer (haven't picked it up yet, later this week) through local dealer (Metro Detroit), I got supplier discount, $1000 certificate from leasing a worthless Alero, and I will eventually get money back from MAC because I prepaid lease on Alero. Anyway, all my friends are engineers for big three and suppliers, so I get quite a bit of info from them. Here is an small clip of what one guy said.

"I only have one piece of advice for you. Don't let the fuel run down to the low fuel light. I have been in some discussions with individuals that are frantically scurrying around in an attempt to write a new fuel gage calibration.
    It seems that there have been a number of drivers who have run out of fuel before the vehicle ever turned the low fuel light on. They didn't leave good messages with their dealers as they were walking down the freeway to the nearest gas station"

Take it for what its worth.
  • 9t9wu89t9wu8 Member Posts: 36
    #16 of 202  SmartTrak vs. Autotrac by 9t9wu8  Feb 16, 2001 (11:21 am)

Hi Kay,

How does the operation of SmartTrak differ from the automatic setting on the Autotrac system available in the Trailblazer & Envoy?

#92 of 202  Autotrak vs SmartTrak by kayjarboe  Feb 20, 2001 (10:10 pm)

9T9WU8 - It doesn't! The transfer case operates the same, but SmartTrak includes the locking rear differential as standard equipment to help in side to side slippage at low speeds.

#94 of 202  1991 AWD versus 2002 AWD answer to Legalwizard by kayjarboe  Feb 20, 2001 (10:12 pm)

Legalwizard - I am glad you are so pleased with your 1991 Bravada and that it held up to the test of the Minnesota winters! I have had an opportunity to drive in a 1991 Bravada in Minnesota just a few months ago, and was quite pleased with the performance (although it did need a good vacuuming!!) The AWD (not WAD) system in your 1991 Bravada is a full-time system, meaning that you are always sending power to the front axle, so you are always in AWD mode. The 2002 Bravada has an ""On Demand" system. The Bravada monitors axle speed every 48 milliseconds. If it senses slippage, it engages AWD in ¼ of a second to transfer power to the front axle. This system helps to provide better gas mileage and less wear on your AWD components. Buy one - you will love it!

#168 of 202  Re: danfinmnxyz - SmartTrak by kayjarboe  Mar 13, 2001 (05:36 am)

Danfinnxyz - SmartTrak is a combination of the On Demand AWD, the locking rear differential axle, and the ABS brakes. As far as operation of the transfer case, the Bravada monitors axle speed (not the ABS sensors) every 48 milliseconds. If it senses slippage, it engages AWD in ¼ of a second to transfer power to the front axle. This operation is the same as the Auto 4WD found on the TrailBlazer and Envoy. The locking rear differential is standard on the Bravada. When you are driving at low speeds, and one of your rear wheels loses traction, this feature will limit wheelspin to help make the most of available traction. SmartTrak does not have any switches or levers, so you cannot manually lock it into 4WD. It is designed to put the optimum amount of power to the front and rear axles.
  • 9t9wu89t9wu8 Member Posts: 36
    We took a 1600 mile round trip the first weekend we had the Envoy. We did the first 800 miles starting at noon (I worked sitting at my desk in the morning) and drove till 2 AM. We stopped for a total of 22 minutes (the ET clock helped with that) for fuel and washroom breaks along the way. We were none the worse for wear.

I'm not convinced that a seat that feels really comfortable for a few moments in a showroom or short test drive provides the support required for travelling comfort.
  • iukstuiukstu Member Posts: 12
    It's not a matter of getting used to it. I have driven new vehicles, cars, trucks, suburbans, etc. for years and never had this problem. It locked up when I wasn't even in the car. When I went to get in and put my belt on, it would not extend out. It wouldn't even pull out one inch. It was locked in the resting position as if nobody was in the seat.

By the way...has anyone else ever received a check?
  • richardc4richardc4 Member Posts: 33
    In my case I've found that the lumbar support simply supports a bit more than it should. Perhaps in time it'll get a little softer. I looked at an SLT model but quite frankly didn't like all the gadgets and buttons. Also, leather upholstery in Souther Arizona in the summer time makes a guy have a tendency to jump out of his car very quickly while rubbing his hindside shortly after getting in. So I obviously ended up with an SLE with cloth upholstery and am quite happy with it. After getting a few miles on the car I checked my gas mileage. 16 1/2 MPG city. I haven't had it on the road yet.
  • rpageaurpageau Member Posts: 94
    King1079 is pretty close on the low fuel warning. My TB goes down to about 2 gallons (actually I think a little less)before the bells and messages come on. That doesn't leave a lot of time to dill-dally around before refueling. You definitely need to re-examine your refueling habits if you travel on many deserted highways. But then again, you always have that blue button on the rear-view mirror to punish them with.
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    It looks like I only have two ways to go as far as options go, assuming I want a 4WD Envoy SLT:

Off-Road package and Pro Tow + air suspension + 6 disc CD:
    If I choose this, I give up rain sensing wipers, travel note recorder and polished wheels.
    I get the underbody shields and the 3.73 axle that I prefer. I also save about $72.

Premium Package and Pro Tow:
    I give up the shields and am stuck with the 4.10 axle, but get the rain sense, travel note and polished wheels.

Now, I realize I can add the polished wheels to the off road package, but then I am paying more and getting possibly less.

I don't really care about the travel note thing, but I like what I hear about the rain sense. I have not seen the polished wheels yet. Are they nice?

Help me decide. I think I want the shields because I have them on my '96 Jimmy and belive they protect the truck when driving on forest roads. If you disagree, please explain.

I also think I need the air suspension. If you disagree, tell me why.

If you have either of these packages, tell me what you like/dislike about your choice.

-John.

(You can't have everything... Where would you put it? -s.wright)
  • riskaker11riskaker11 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the feed back on the seats. I totally agree that sitting in a show room you cannot tell how the seats will be in ownership satisfaction - That's why I asked for experience. Sure is a nice vehicle and I will be trying it out a few more times. Seats are important to me because I do a lot of driving and my current seats (2 cars) are so bad that I am in pain after about 20 minutes (Acura & Honda products), especially the Acura EL (only available in Canada - basically a Civic EX). I have driven a Yukon on long trips and absolutely love the seats.

I love all the toys but don't really like leather in the hot climate. As with most vehicles you can't have one without the other. Decisions, decisions.
  • musicman10musicman10 Member Posts: 3
    Tuesday, received a certified letter from Oldsmobile. In the letter was a Master Card Gift Check for $100.00. The letter was well written and the check was much appreciated. I will be even more happy when the dealer can supply me with the polished wheels that will make my red Bravada look a lot better than the cheap looking standard wheels. If you were at the Andy 500 race they put chrome wheels on the pace car and it looked sharp.
  • lns1lns1 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone figured out a way to vent un-heated, un-airconditioned air in their Envoy? It seems that any time the fan is on, the automatic temperature control kicks in and the air compressor runs the A/C. Some times, the air temperature outside is just right and you don't need it heated or cooled! Also, the constantly running compressor isn't going to help gas mileage.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Lurker:

The polished wheels are so polished that they look almost chrome. They really look nice. Before I ordered, I went to the Tire Rack website to see what aftermarket wheels there were for the Envoy that were better looking than the standard ones. There were NO aftermarket wheels available. This new 17" size with the 6 lug nut pattern must be a brand new wheel that only fits the GMT360 platform. In time, I am sure that some aftermarket wheels will become available. They just are not right now. So, if you want a nicer looking wheel, go for the polished ones. I did and am really happy about it.
  • ralforalfo Member Posts: 36
    After turning the system on, just select any of the air direction buttons other than "Auto" and adjust the termostat to 65-70. This will bring in air from the outside.
  • jhtjht Member Posts: 24
    Generally speaking, 4HI mode is only good for driving in stuff like mud, sand, or unplowed snow. In other conditions, all P/T 4WD systems like the one you had (and I had in my old '96 Blazer) are better off in 2HI mode when driving in rain and ice.

The reason for this is that in 4HI mode, wheel speeds are locked. This actually gives you worse traction on many surfaces, because in 2HI the front wheels rotate freely - in 4HI they are locked together. AWD is better in those type of conditions. 4HI works best for loose surfaces and pretty badly on most roads.

I'm sure there are other people out there who can explain it better than I can, but I look at it this way:

2HI - driving _on_ stuff
    4HI - driving _through_ stuff
    4LO - wallowing through stuff
  • lgspencelgspence Member Posts: 15
    I tested again, and you are right. When the wipers are on for a short period of time, the headlights do automatically come on. When the wipers are in "automatic" (delay) mode, the headlights only come on when the wipers have been activated. i.e. in the automatic/standby mode, the headlights are turned on only when the wipers have been activated (by rain) and not all the time simply because the wiper switch is set to auto/delay. Once the wipers start (automatically) the lights do come on after a few seconds. (obviously the daytime driving lights are on when the headlights are not).
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Just visiting....last month I bought a new '01 Impala LS...car has been flawless so far.

Really like the new GM Suv 'Trio' specially the Trailblazer and Envoy. I had the opportunity to drive both back in April at GM's Auto Show In Motion test drive event. Very, very nice trucks!

Enjoy your rides!
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Ralfo wasn't entirely correct. You can adjust your airflow to any setting but the A/C compressor will remain on unless you push the "A/C" button. At that time, you will see a message (I think it is right above the temp readout) that says "A/C Off". Then, and only then, is the A/C compressor not running.

PS: You probably won't see much of a difference in your gas mileage. I have had automatic A/C for many cars and on all of the ones in recent years ('98 newer) I have tried full tanks of gas, during the winter, with the A/C compressor off. The results were always mixed (sometimes a couple MPG less, sometimes a couple MPG more)than when I just ran it on auto with the a/c pump on.

You see, in todays cars the actual belts that drive the A/C compressor are not as (ratio wise) dependent on the camshaft. Instead of the old serpentine belts than ran all things off of the same belts that was connected to a wheel from the camshaft, there is a much different ratio as to much power it draws from the engine. In short, if you notice any difference in MPG it should be inconsistent.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    We're starting to see Envoy and TB lease deals advertised here in the Philadelphia area. The supply has caught up with demand. I also suspect that GMAC has raised the residuals somewhat.
    While browsing the car ads for Orlando today, I saw an ad for an Envoy priced at $26,986. It was an SLE with 1SB and moon roof (MSRP $30620). I thought surely that price was below invoice, so I checked it out and the invoice was indeed $27714! Great deal, right! Welllll, not exactly....Upon inspecting the fine print, that price included a $1000 Olds Loyalty coupon. Remember, this a GMC dealer. They are pricing vehicles as if everyone buying a car has an Olds coupon to cash in. If that were true, Olds wouldn't be going out of business! And car dealers continue to wonder why they have such bad reputations.
  • 65panhead65panhead Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased 2002 bravada, while lurking on this forum since April and reading about all the recalls plus other problems I had mixed feelings.BUT after driving and buying the 02 bravada I must say that I am well pleased, fit&finish are perfect,rides and handles great, no wind,road or tire noise.. got the pewter w/polished wheels-sense wipers-sunroof-3:73 axle- plus lots of bells and whistles.. So far So good.
  • 228978228978 Member Posts: 1
    I am an Olds Alero customer who wants to take advantage of terminating early lease program from GM. I know I can get $1500 rebate off invoice for being Olds customer and then another $400 for recent college grad to-be. Is there any GM rebates on 2002 Trailblazer out there? I know the LT model is Inv. for about $25,800 w/o dest. charge. Realisticly, not sure how GM is acting on selling the new 2002 with rebates, but what does anybody feel a good price would be for LT Trailblazer? I know Chevy has 3% holdback. Figuring in rebates is always tough to get in car dealers...
  • fltrsei2fltrsei2 Member Posts: 9
    Wife's new Envoy's driver's power seat just died. I hope this isn't a trend but is anticipated with a new model. Its a SLT with 1SH in white. I have to admit it's a nice looking vehicle. And yes the hood and the fender do not line up right. I also noticed the back window on another one on the lot did not make a tight seal against the hatch.
  • trapjacktrapjack Member Posts: 5
    Can anybody give me a decent explanation why the TB with such a big engine able to haul up to 6200 lbs and larger brakes needs seperate trailer brakes if the trailer is over 1000 lbs. That's a pretty light trailer. I don't have any problem towing with the Explorer I have now. I would really like to come back to Chevy but don't know if I'll be able to. I'm not about to retrofit a '68 trailer if it was even possible. Chevy said it was required so as to not stress the brakes, but 1000 lbs is about equal to 5 adult men riding in the truck. If the brakes can't handle that they need better brakes.
  • akajoeakajoe Member Posts: 69
    I just received my $100 Mastercard Traveler's check from Olds. It was a nice touch. Since I am contemplating adding the running boards, this will help pay for them.

I just spent 4 days in Orlando, Fl at Disney World. Rented a Ford Escape (much happier with this than the Mercury Mystique that they reserved for me). I was surprised that the Escape has gotten the good press that it has in the reviews, given my experience. It is not a bad vehicle for the price, but Ford has its work cut out for it if it intends to compete in this space.

At Epcot Center, GM has sponsored an attraction called Test Track which I'm sure many of you are familiar with. At the end of the ride, there is an area where you can diddle-daddle with driving simulators and also there is a showroom where GM shows off some cars. Behind the stage area where there is a sliding curtain-wall, is an Oldsmobile Bravada '02. Apparently Disney was not informed of the demise of Olds, or were they? The curtain slide open to reveal the "piece de resistance" that is different every time it opens. The Bravada was one of them - an indigo Blue one.

If GM tests their designs prior to production as this "Test Track" ride indicates, it convinces me that there isn't some evil intent by GM to produce "bad" products. They ring everything out in their testing facility - manufacturing variations are responsible for the issues that buyers have. I'm sure this is one area that GM is focusing on, how to reduce the amount of variation during volume manufacturing. It is one thing to make a few pre-production units and to test the crap out of them, but a whole other subject to actually product tens or hundreds of thousands per year and not have any of them have some defect that will cut into their profit margins.

Seeing this show (if true) gives me confidence that my Bravada was built with the intent of making an exceptional vehicle (not to con me into buying a piece of junk).
  • pbshannpbshann Member Posts: 20
    You should be able to get a decent deal of a couple hundred over invoice, before your Olds rebate. Which if it is the same one we got for my Wife's Alero you only get $1000 off the Chevy but $1500 off any new Olds. Dealers that have TB's are selling them around here (PA) for these kinds of prices but if your dealer only has one he may be higher. Also you could try ordering one, which sometimes gets you a better price b/c dealer has little or no money in your vehicle.
    I have one word in the way of explanation...lawyers. The TB/Envoy/Bravada all have the identical four-wheel ABS disc brakes (all 4 ventilated), so if the Envoy/Bravada don't have the same warning in their brochures, it is purely a case of Chevy's lawyers being more paranoid about lawsuits. It is just good practice to use trailer brakes once you start getting over 2000#. I have a TB, and my boat & trailer are about 1600#. Frankly, I wouldn't even know it was back there if I couldn't see it in my rearview mirror.
  • suv18suv18 Member Posts: 11
    FYI: I recently ordered an Envoy from an L.A. dealer for 200 under invoice (factory order) and suspect I could have done even better, as the dealer took my first offer with no negotiating on his part. I went through the fleet manager which made the whole process painless.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    No matter how good the brakes are, the more weight they have to stop, the longer the stopping distance. So, trailer brakes will help the vehicle maintain its braking distance.
    Got my running boards finally, and they really do add to the looks of the truck. Very nice option. Picked them up yesterday, and put them on this morning. Why did I put them on myself you may ask. Well, because my dealer was trying to soak me for $595 to order and install them. These are the same OEM boards that have a MSRP option price of $325. I asked them how a couple of hunks of plastic can suddenly go from $325 to $595, and of course they had a hundred reasons. The best one was they had no control over the price, because GM dictates it. Yeah, right!

I then called several dealers, and got prices ranging from $500 to $760. One funny thing was I heard someone in the background on one call saying the computer showed it as a 30 minute job! On a whim, I called my dealer's parts department direct (instead of the aftermarket guy), and asked for the OEM running board kit. He searched for a while, and came back and said they were $299! At that point I ordered them, and just put them on this morning.

The installation took me an hour. The only reason it took that long was I had to jack each side of the truck up a couple of inches, and do the job laying on my back. With the truck on a lift, this is a 20 minute job max! There are 12 bolts each side that go into predrilled & tapped holes on the back of the rocker panels. I am so PO'd at my dealer for trying to stick it to me by charging $300 to do a 20 minute job (after buying a $32K truck). I think I will stop by and personally thank the General Manager for all their help!
  • ralforalfo Member Posts: 36
    rpageau - What are they made of? Aluminum or fibre? Can passengers actually use them to get into the truck if they wanted to, or they just for show?
    Ralfo....They are a molded plastic composite attached to a full lenght steel platform with three pretty substantion steel brackets, that in turn attach inside the rocker panels. They are plenty strong to stand on. Now I don't need a step ladder to wash the top of the truck anymore (and I'm 6'1"). Drive by a dealership and check 'em out, or look in the brochure (most of the pictures show them).
    I've seen the numbers but has anyone compared the 2001 Pathfinder LE to the 2002 Envoy SLT in person?
  • trek1420btrek1420b Member Posts: 32
    rpageau. Are the running boards the black ones shown in the various pictures of the TB or like the one in the back of the brochure under GM accessories? That one is silver with black ends.

Also, I did receive a $100 travelers check from Chevy today via registered letter. It was compensation for the recall. I like!
  • patxlbpatxlb Member Posts: 7
    My Envoy developed a "thump-thump" sound after leaving my son's school yesterday. It was similar to a flat tire sound. Everything looks ok, nothing hanging, tires ok. My hubby drove it and he could feel it in the steering wheel & on the floor next to his left foot. After driving it a bit and turning both sharp left & right, the noise went away. It will be going into the dealership Monday morning. Any ideas?
  • sostroublesostrouble Member Posts: 65
    This past week, my daughter was traveling from San Diego to St. Louis. They made it to Oklahoma, I received a phone call in the middle of the night. The car she was in struck a deer. Luckily no one was injured, but the Dodge, Neon, was pretty messed up. So we hooked up our 18' tandem trailer with brakes to the Envoy with the professional towing package and off we went to get the kids and the car.

On the way to Oklahoma empty trailer, 17 - 18 miles per gallon. It handled great. True test was when the car was on the trailer. Made sure to take the time to properly set everything up, center the weight on the trailer so not to much tongue weight, and we were back on the road.

Drive home was great. Easier than with my 1 ton truck, which couldn't be use, needed work before long trip. The Envoy handled excellent. Between 14 - 15 miles per gallon with car on trailer. No problems stopping or slowing down. Power was there. Most of the time on the highway you wouldn't even notice that a trailer was there. We went through hills, heavy downpours of rain and rush hour traffic. We drove in 2 wheel drive, except during rain, then was in all wheel drive.

After some of the comments about gas guage we made sure to fill up when between 1/4 and 1/2. In Oklahoma in the middle of the night not all stations are open on the turnpike.

So 21 hours and 1000 miles later, wouldn't trade my Envoy for anything else. The 410 gears and load leveler made all the difference. I don't recommend driving 21 hours with no sleep. But if I had to do it again, I wouldn't worry about whether or not the Envoy could handle it.

Needless to say, we're pretty sure the Neon is totaled. But the kids are fine and that's all that matters! The kids are happy to be home, but are not happy that mom said that they owe me a wash job on the Envoy. It needs to have a few bugs cleaned off.
    I read a review of the Envoy recently where the lead designer of the I6 was quoted as saying an additional 30hp can be had simply by adding dual exhaust.

Has anyone heard what GM's plans might be on this in the Envoy or the talked about 7 passenger stretch version?
    I got the black ones shown in the brochure. If that is what you want, just make sure you specifically state you want the OEM boards.
  • envoyelroyenvoyelroy Member Posts: 11
    Howdy, I actually bought my Envoy from that dealer because of that ad. I wasn't eligible for the $1000, so I paid $272 above invoice, a deal I was happy with. The sales manager did ask me if I had ever at anytime in my life owned an Olds so I could get the $1000 coupon, at least he tried. What the sales manager also did was dealer trade to get the color I wanted (Pewter) and honored the advertised price, the advertised model is white. As a side note, the sales person did not know ANYTHING about the Envoy at all. In fact he thought the Bravada was the same thing. While the ad was somewhat deceiving, I have learned to look for and expect that sort of thing especially in the Orlando Sentinel ads. Honestly, I was surprised I got the price I did. See ya on the roads.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I would think some kind of incentive, either in rebate or low APR financing will be coming on the bravada. My dealer has five on the lot that have been sitting and i have only seen two on the road where i live.
  • syssklsysskl Member Posts: 1
    When will they have the 3rd row seating available like the 2002 Explorer.
  • jack51pinejack51pine Member Posts: 18
    The following link states that the extended wheelbase versions of the TB/Envoy with a third row of seating will begin regular production during the first couple months of 2002.

http://detnews.com/2001/autos/0106/10/autos-234113.htm

• riskaker11riskaker11 Member Posts: 39
    Here's a link to a spy shot of the extended version.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/

• optimus_25optimus_25 Member Posts: 3
    This board is really helpful to me.I wanted to purchase a GMC Envoy SLE. I feel paranoid about the recall though. Can someone tell me how can i decipher manufacture dates and what dates should i be loooking for.
  • lns1lns1 Member Posts: 6
    I live in NJ where a front license plate is required. The bracket that came on my 2002 Envoy has no mounting hardware and the license plate just slides into the slot with no positive fastening mechanism. I'm not so crazy about the flimsy rubber darts that GM used to fasten the bracket to the bumper either--they are so lose that they could be pulled off in a car wash. I suppose I could drive screws into it but they would go right through the bracket and into the bumper. Has anyone figured out a better way? Did anyone get a better one with their Envoy?

Regarding the sun visor, anyone who's owned an Explorer knows about the great 2-way sun visor they had. It extends at a 90 degree angle to cover both the front and side windows. Has anyone seen anything similar available after market?

Thanks to all--this board has answered more questions than my owners manual!
  • earlcearlc Member Posts: 34
    I have a pewter 2002 Trailblazer. I love the color but people who have not seen it yet ask "What color is pewter?" I don't have an answer. Do any of you?
  • aleasealease Member Posts: 22
    I would consider the color "pewter" silver. I have one ordered and from what I have heard it is supposed to look clean longer, which I need.
  • jmnjn01jmnjn01 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just recently test drove the Envoy. As expected we enjoyed driving it very much. Since then i have been researching as to what is available in the options and so forth. We have decided to go with the SLT 2wd w/ the pro towing, and mnrf and running boards. We have been able to find Envoys with all these options. The only thing we have not been able to find is one with Blue ext and Tan lthr int. Has anyone seen an envoy with tan lthr int, or has one? I have searched most of the dealers inventories through GM buypower and no dealer in the SO. Cal area has one...Is it even available yet? I know it is offered in the brochure. Thanks
  • jmnjn01jmnjn01 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the GMS discount is on the Envoy?
  • jack51pinejack51pine Member Posts: 18
    I read that tan (oak) interiors were not available for order until 5/31. I've not seen any Trailblazers/Envoys/Bravadas with tan interiors yet.
    The GMS price and the GM Suppliers Discount are two different things. The formula for calculating the GMS price was posted earlier on this board. Add 4% to that number to get the GM Supplier price.
  • fdefulviofdefulvio Member Posts: 47
    The GMS supplier price which is GMS + 4% works out to within $100 of the invoice price. I got a quote last week and was shown the pricing sheet. I was looking at an Envoy SLT with sunroof and Bose stereo. The MSRP was a little over $36,000 with and invoice price of around $33,000. The GMS price was something like $31,700. My supplier price was very close to the $33,000 invoice price. I talked directly with the General Manager, who was actually very pleasant about the deal.