Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    you failed to mention the year of your TB. I had a 2001 TB that had a similar problem. Had to have the TB towed to the dealer and was told an underhood wire feed to the selonoid shorted to an engine part. The repair was covered under warranty.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    We faced the same issue. Ended up buying the two kids their own portable DVD players vs installing one in the Envoy. We bought 2 of them in late 2002 for $350 each. They are cheaper now. 7" screens with AC, battery, or DC power. All adapters were included. We already had 2 sets of headphones from the rear audio system on the Envoy, so we were set. No fighting over which movie to watch as they each can choose one. We bought black carrying bags for each unit so we can taken them inside when traveling. We can also use them to connect to hotel TV's so we can watch DVD's in the hotels and on planes. Best yet, we can take them from car to car. It was a no brainer for us to go with the portable units. Why spend at leat twice as much for a built in single unit that you will lose when you trade or sell the car?
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    m2iceman:

How did you get your vehicle into the dealer? Did you have to be towed, or were you able to reach down in there with something and press the release?
  • hschehsche Member Posts: 9
    I had the problem on my Suzuki Verona - so I'm not sure that it is analagous. Anyway, broght the Suzuki to the dealer only to be told that the brake lights were out (probably a short) and because the brake lights were not working, I could not shift out of Park.
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    I like the look of the dual exhaust on your white Envoy. Where did you get it done and cost?
    Thanks

Bobbies
  • m1icemanm1iceman Member Posts: 11
    Sorry had to change the name from M2Iceman to M1Iceman

Anyway,
    sorry for the lack of info. I own a 2002 LT and it was towed to the dealership. I dont have a warrenty with it, at 42,000 ended at 36,000. I looked on this site prior to having it towed and saw some responses. I was unable to check the selonid, but did check the wires near the shifter and everything was connected. I had someone check the brakelights to make sure they were working and they are. I could not use the orange override switch because I already had it taken out from the recall. No one, as of yet, had looked at it so I dont know what they will find or say they have found. I have to call in the morning and find out, getting ready for the deep pocket drill from the dealer. Other things, checked the tranny fluid and it was fine, pushed the car to see if it was torque lock, no good either. All I know is my wife parked the truck and then came back in 30 secs and it wouldnt coomu out of park.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Dual exhaust is the Boral cat back system that can be had from several sources for about $785.00 It is a little steep in price, but it is all stainless steel with a million mile warranty.
    The kit fits together very well, according to the muffler shop that did the install for $100.00 and an hour of their time. Installer was Al's Big Muffler and Brake in Centerville OH. If you elect to install the Boral system, be aware that there will be increased noise or drone in the cabin interior.

• quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    The shift lock solenoid can be accessed from the passenger side of the console. Pull the front bottom edge of the console towards the passenger side and using a flashlight look up under the console and back towards the parking brake. You'll see a silver "button" with wires attached, looks sort of like a door bell button. Pushing the button towards the drivers side will allow you to disengage the shifter from park and allow the vehicle to roll so make sure the parking brake is on.hth
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Here's a picture to go with the above description.

• sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    Whatever happened to the good old days where you just fought with your brother for 2 solid days on that drive from Chicago to Florida???? Many of life's most important lessons were learned in the back of the car on long vacations!!!

By the way, I have been away a while, so I will give an update:

My 02 TB LS 2WD is still the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned! 60K miles WITH NO OFF ROAD and the front end makes enough noise going around right turns that the neighbors all stare. Already replaced tie rod ends at 50K.
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    I, too, have been away for awhile, so I'll give an update as well....

Took our '02 TB LTZ 4WD out of town for the Holiday weekend. I-6, w/ 3.73 rear end). Two adults, two kids, one dog, not packed *real* full. A/C on the whole way home. 38 psi in fronts. 36 psi in rears. Strong winds, but blowing at about our 4:00 position, so probably helped some. Averaged 23.5 mpg for the 240 mile trip, cruising about 4-5 mph over the limit. Absolutely thrilled!!

Purchased new in Jan '02. Several recalls, and a few very minor warranty items that I've had addressed while in for scheduled oil changes. Otherwise, no problems in 2+ years. I love my TB.

BTW: the kids shared a 7" portable DVD player we had sitting on the center console.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Less than optimal gas mileage is normal for this engine during break in - up to 6000 miles, as is minor oil loss until the rings seat and form a good seal against the cylinder walls. 12.5-13 mpg does sound a little low though. If after 5000-6000 miles you still have that problem, I would take it up with the dealer. I have an '02 2 wheel drive, short wheelbase Trailblazer with the 3.73 rear end and I get 19-21 mpg (And I drive it pretty hard, as compared to the guy in the last message).
    You should know that this is a silky smooth engine and if it vibrates, or shudders at all at idle, then there is something wrong (which could be contributin to the poor mileage)
    My brother & I did it the old way in our family's 1967 & 1972 Imperials as we hit 47 of the lower 48 by car. Dad kept a wooden paddle beneath his seat so when we started fighting in the back, he would calmly reach down, get the paddle with his right hand, reach back and start swinging. All while having the left hand on the wheel and never taking his eyes off the road. That sent us retreating to each corner of the back seat, far enough away to be clear of the paddle and to bother each other! By the way, dad went with me and my two boys (6 & 9)on a recent 2 hour trip each way. His comment about the DVD's for each kid was "that's the best money you ever spent!"
  • bradrx7bradrx7 Member Posts: 29
    Kingdo, I've got an 03 TB V8 (not many of us on this board) and haven't had that problem. I get atrocious gas mileage (12 city and 11.5 towing my 5000 lb trailer/track car combo) and have a clunky transmission at partial throttle which the dealer swears "they all do that". Question for you: Does your headliner squeak?
  • allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    12mpg when towing 5,000 lbs?? Name one other SUV, one that could tow that load. Two that would get better mpg?

Allen
  • kingdokingdo Member Posts: 3
    No squeak from the headliner, do you have the sunroof? Ours does. Clunky transmission is not a problem that we have experienced.
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    bradrx7 said: "clunky transmission at partial throttle"

What does this mean?

When towing my 4000# trailer, mine doesn't like to upshift until it revs up to an insanely high rpm, and even then I sometimes have to really baby the throttle to get it to upshift at all. If not, it will just hang in second gear at 4000-4500 rpm all day long on level ground. Frustrating...

Dean
  • m1icemanm1iceman Member Posts: 11
    Well I finally got my TB back and the price tag on the shift lock problem $400!!!!

I'll be calling Chevy to share my joy of having to pay for something that broke only after 2 years. It was a Shift interlock that had to be replaced, the price for the piece was $170, but they charged 3 hours for labor, 3 hours????? Well thats what the book says, so they charge by the book, but come on 3 hours!.

Anyway, I love my truck and havent had many problems with it, but it shouldnt be breaking like this. Chevy will be getting an ear full!
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    I've got 42K on my '02 Envoy XL. Not showing any wear and looks like the day I drove it home.
    Chris

And this info off of GM's website concerning the GM oil life monitoring system...

"Customers don't have to worry about deciding when the best time is to change their engine oil because our Oil Life System technology adapts to their driving conditions and habits, and determines the right interval," said Peter Lord, executive director, GM Service Operations. "Since the new maintenance schedule is based on oil change intervals determined by this technology, customers can save time and cost."

System offers significant benefits

First introduced in 1988, the GM Oil Life System (GMOLS) is a computer-based algorithm that determines when to change the oil and filter based on engine operating conditions. The system enables owners to maximize the performance of their vehicle engine oil by sensing engine speed and temperature. There is no actual oil condition sensor. Rather, the computer continuously monitors engine-operating conditions to determine when to change the oil.

With the GMOLS, consumers have an accurate and reliable way to monitor engine oil life. When the system notifies the owner that it is time for an oil change, consumers can go to their nearest GM Goodwrench dealer and a technician will change the oil and filter, properly recycle the old oil, then reset the vehicle's oil life system. Overall operating costs for the customer will be lower, because they only have to change the oil when needed, and they can be reassured that their engine is always running with good oil, improving the long term performance and reliability of their GM vehicle.

Use of the GMOLS will often double or even triple the oil change interval for a typical vehicle when compared to the commonly recommended 3,000-mile oil change.

The GMOLS will automatically adjust the oil change interval based on engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7,000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short-trip driving in a cold climate may limit the oil change to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway find that the GMOLS will indicate an oil change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. GM data shows the OLS extends oil change intervals without risk to the engine.

The GMOLS can offer significant benefits to the environment by reducing unnecessary use of oil. GM has built more than 20 million vehicles to date with the GMOLS. In the next five years, as the GMOLS is used as intended — oil changes performed only when necessary — hundreds of millions of gallons of oil will be saved.

The GM Oil Life System is available on all light-duty North American GM cars except for some models of Buick Park Avenue and Le Sabre, Pontiac Bonneville and Sunfire/Sunbird, Chevrolet Tracker, Cavalier and Malibu, S10/Sonoma trucks, Astro/Safari Vans, and the Pontiac Vibe. For more information about the GM Oil Life System, visit www.gmability.com.

With more than 7,000 participating dealerships, the GM Goodwrench network is the largest automotive service chain in the industry. Its technicians receive specialized training from General Motors to provide expert care for GM cars and trucks. For more information, visit the GM Goodwrench web site at Goodwrench.com.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I had this fixed when I purchased my '02 TB LS over 2 1/2 years ago. The dealer took the headliner off and put in some extra velcro. The headliner hasn't made a sound since then.
    kingdo, I don't have the sunroof. My headliner squeaks around the front headliner AC vents and center storage unit. I added some insulator in the myself but it is not completely solving the problem.
    Allenr,
    Actually I wrote that badly. I meant to say my city mileage is atrocious at 12 when I get almost that good towing my 5000# trailer/track car combo.
    Sorry for the misconception. I'm very happy with my towing mileage. My old '02 short wheelbase TB got about the same mileage, but the '03 EXT V8 tows much smoother and has a bigger gas tank (25 gallons).
    dlare,

My tranny problem is from a 'rollling stop'. When sitting in traffic and I come almost to a stop then get back into the throttle, it feels like I have a bad U-joint. Stealer says they all do that, but did "pack the yoke" to alleviate the clunk. Total BS but at least it is documented on my trouble sheet. I don't notice it too much when towing because of trailer brakes and the load.
  • goochgooch Member Posts: 13
    Debated this with my wife for a while, and we went with the headrest solution. I use my rearview mirror quite a bit (probably paranoia from being rear-ended) so having a ceiling-mounted LCD would have interfered. I installed 6" LCDs on each headrest, a wireless headphone system (transmitter installed on the ceiling) and pipe the sound into the stereo via FM modulator. Hardest thing was finding a decent place for the DVD player. I ended up making a platform that sits underneath the front of the back seat, with the player sitting on top of it. I also created a small enclosure that sits underneath the driver seat that contains the video amplifier/multiplier.

Right now we get a slight whine that I haven't been able to get rid of. All ground is common to a single location. Even put in a ground isolation loop. I suspect the wireless FM modulator. I will probably go to a wired modulator to see if that situation improves.
    There is a source that does tuning of several different vehicles
    > for performance. Lyndon Westers of Westers Garage has produced some great results on other GM vehicles both cars and trucks. I have
    been bugging him for months for a tune for the TrailBlazer and
    Envoy I-6 4.2L engine. He is tired of hearing from me, and also
    several other owners have inquired. He is ready to do something for
    the I-6 engine. What he needs is a vehicle he can work with to
    develop and finalize the tune.
  • gofishingofishin Member Posts: 1
    I don't see a followup by Zonk regarding his vibration problem. And I did a search on "humming" and found some disturbing information. This problem goes back to the first Trailblazer models -- yet my dealer seems to not have heard of this issue. My brand new, out of the box, '04 hums at 55 and again at 60. Very minor vibration at the same time, felt at the pedal. (I live in flat country, so this is happening when the vehicle is NOT under load. I have not tried running up a bridge incline or anything yet to see if it worsens.)
    I also noted a slight downward fluctuation in the rpm meter when the humming starts. This is very slight, but seems noticeable each time. I had test-driven an '02 TB that had much more pronounced humming and vibration. When the dealer replaced the tires, the vibration almost stopped, but the hum was still there. I test-drove an '03 and there was no hum.
    My question is this -- for you, Bert, and anyone else who experiences this problem: When did you first notice the humming? Was it present the first time you held your speed at 60? Or did it develop over time. If I am able to return this vehicle and get another one that does NOT hum, is it just a matter of time before that new vehicle starts its harmonics?
    Thanks.
    m1iceman wrote:
    I'll be calling Chevy to share my joy of having to pay for something that broke only after 2 years. It was a Shift interlock that had to be replaced, the price for the piece was $170, but they charged 3 hours for labor, 3 hours????? Well thats what the book says, so they charge by the book, but come on 3 hours!.

If your vehicle was only 2 years old, why was this not covered under warranty, or were you already over-mileage on your warranty miles? Even if you're over on mileage, I agree that I'd let GM know your dissatisfaction. Sometime they will do the honorable thing rather than go strictly by the mileage. But based on what you've said, I don't understand why this was not repaired under warranty. Did they tell you why?

As for charging labor "by the book", I agree that is a real ripoff. Not long ago, on an older car, I decided to put a new O2 sensor. I changed my mind and decided to let my mechanic put it on during my state inspection. I furnished the part, and figured he might charge $15-20 for putting it on, or maybe even nothing since I take all 3 cars there. Well, it took 5 minutes to unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one and hook up the wire, and he charged it on his computer-based billing "by the book"-- installation of O2 sensor, one hour of labor @ $70. I learned a lot from that experience. I would bet, however, that if there was a procedure that took them longer than "the book", that they would find a way to code the extra time.
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Sounds like you have an unbalanced drive shaft, tell the dealer it is the drive shaft, I went thru the same thing, if not bring it to a speed shop to balance, and have the dealer/GM reimburse you.
  • tb4metb4me Member Posts: 41
    Hi All it's been a long while since my last post. 93,000 miles on the 02 LT TB and still hummin. Except for the wiper motor. It's now starting to hesitate in the delay cycles--not the full run positions. I checked the National Highway Safety Transportation Board and found that a recall--#4005 for wiper motors for this vehicle exists. My question is--if GM plans to mail the recall in the 3rd quarter of the year(as stated on that board) and I have a problem now(safety related)--would it be treated as a recall problem if I dropped it off to the dealer to fix it tomorrow? My dealer says no that I would have to pay. Been trying to call the 1800 GM # but it is always busy.
  • tb4metb4me Member Posts: 41
    Been thru 1 cluth fan at 45,000 miles. I went to a used car parts facility and paid $185.00 for a used fan--still going at 93,000 but is starting to act up again in the mornings and at warm start ups. Looks like Gm has a definate problem with some of these things. Also I replaced the fan too. It's not too bad but you have to kinda have the ability to work on engines to figure out how to get the darn thing off and out and wiggle the new one in place.
    Luckily the third quarter is only 3 weeks away. Remember, unless you are in a small town somewhere, you are not locked into one dealer. Call up several. I'd print out everything I could about the recall and take the copies to the dealer. While the following article doesn't specificially say GM will pay for it before the third quarter, it says GM advises anyone having troubles not to wait for their recall letter. Read below:

General Motors will recall about 636,000 2002 and 2003 midsize SUVs. Some of the following vehicles will be recalled:

Some 2002 and 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer and TrailBlazer EXT

Some 2002 and 2003 GMC Envoy and Envoy XL

Some 2002 and 2003 Oldsmobile Bravadas

Some 2002 Isuzu Ascenders

Owners will be notified beginning in the third quarter of 2004. Dealers will cover a vent hole in the windshield wiper module with a patch. The wiper motor, circuit board, and electrical connector will be inspected for signs of water intrusion and/or corrosion and be replaced as required.

In some vehicles, water can enter the wiper module, causing a short circuit or corrosion of the components within the module. As a result, there have been reports of the wipers not working properly. Owners should have their vehicles checked and serviced if they are experiencing windshield wiper problems. GM says that most owners will probably not experience any wiper problems, and should wait for the recall notification letter before bringing in their vehicles.
    "Dealers will cover a vent hole in the windshield wiper module with a patch."

There going to fix a potential problem with a patch? Duct tape maybe?
    Seems like the entire unit should be replaced. I'm gonna be pi$$ed if at 60K mine with a patch goes out and I'm handed a bill.
  • bertman48bertman48 Member Posts: 15
    gofishin...my '03 TB has had this problem from day one. I did take my TB to a driveshaft shop and had it rebalanced. It definitely changed the sound of the humming/growl (it doesn't humming/growl as loudly as it originally did, but the problem is still there). I can still feel the vibration and slightly hear the humming/growling. I wish GM would investigate this problem and determine what is causing the problem. It seems to me the problem is associated with the transmission (overdrive gear) or the touque converter since it only happens in overdrive. The problem does not happen if I drive 58 - 60 mph in 3rd gear.
  • cameokidcameokid Member Posts: 31
    bertman and others,

I had to have my drive shaft balanced twice because the first one didn't do it right. See my previous post (#13862) on this subject for specs it should meet. The first 'balancing' changed my vibration so I knew we were on the right track. I asked my dealer to have it done again by a different shop. I took it to a guy who balances drive shafts for race cars. He was great - and he showed me my drive shaft on the balancing machine and how far out of spec it was from the first guy. I realized that this type of work is an art - they heat up the drive shaft with a (welding?) torch in certain spots then cool it quickly to make it warp back into position. Then they spin it on a spindle and measure the runout and balance, and do it again until it's good. So, if you're still vibrating, try again - and get them to show you the readings before they say they're done.

PS - regarding prior comments about torque convertor - one way my dealer ruled out the TC is when the vibration occurs, press gently on the brake pedal while driving. This disengages the TC and for me the noise stopped while the TC was not engaged. This helped us to zero in on the drive shaft as the problem. I had my springs replaced and it had no impact on my vibration. The drive shaft balancing fixed my problem.
    I was told the black dots on the windshield are for cars that have the automatic rain sensor wipers. My '03 TB does not have this feature but I have the dotted windshield anyway. I use an EZ Pass transponder placed at the top of my windshield just to the right of the rear-view mirror mount and it works just fine.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I have the vibration in the gas pedal but I don't notice the growl in my '02 TB LS 4X4. I use to only have the vibration around 55 - 60 mph, but now I have the vibration in the gas pedal at all speeds but mainly when the rpm's are between 1400 - 1600. Will the drive shaft balance fix the gas pedal vibration? I'm getting tired of the tickle in my right foot. I haven't replaced the springs or tried any other fixes and the dealer says the vibration in the gas pedal is normal.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    "Dealers will cover a vent hole in the windshield wiper module with a patch."

There going to fix a potential problem with a patch? Duct tape maybe?

Sounds fine to me. A simple problem warrants a simple solution. In fact, duct tape was originally called "duck tape" because it was waterproof.

They did say that they'd replace the wiper module if there's any corrosion.
    I had the gas pedal vibration AND the growl consistently at 1500 rpm - usually between 55-60 mph, but could occur at slower speeds when the tach hit 1500 (like going up a slight grade). Balancing the rear drive shaft to within .003 runout and .038 balance fixed both issues, and the dealer paid the $45. for the balancing.

Incidentally, during my original pursuit of a solution the dealer let me drive 3 other new trailblazers on the lot (you know the drill - it's a normal characteristic of the vehicle) he was right about that...they ALL had the problem. See prior comments about Three Rivers Plant drive shaft quality...
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    This is an old problem with the TB. I went around and around over this early in 2002. There is a TSB to replace the rear springs, wich isolates or dampens the driven train harmonics set up in lock up at 58-62 mph. the fix works pretty good till cold weather then it returns about 50%.
  • elvis23elvis23 Member Posts: 12
    I took my 03 Envoy in to the Dealer yesterday because I noticed some rust like looking material on the bracket for the rear glass over the weekend. I figured the part is rusting on my Envoy under warranty, no problem, they'll replace the part. Well, I was right and wrong. They will not replace the part, but they will repaint it. Apparantly, this part is plastic, and the coating has come off because the rear glass bolts were undertorqued in the factory. On the driver's side, the bolts have dug into the paint, exposing the sheet metal. They will repaint that as well. Finally, they will reseat the glass bracket properly.

The only problem I have is that they want me to pay for this.

I have 16,300 miles on the Envoy. Root cause was a problem at the factory. I am not happy. I will be going to another dealer.

You may want to open your rear window glass and check out your bracket and bolts.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    My theory is on the Black Dots - they are there to fill in the area above the rear view mirror between the visors to cut glare, in case the sun happens to be coming from between the gap in the visors above the mirror and in your eyes, the light will be subdued by the dots.

I know the wiper bulletin says they will inspect the motor and circuit board for signs of water intrusion, but how? I have an old wiper motor [non-permissible content removed]'y from a TB and the only way to really inspect it internally would be to remove the whole [non-permissible content removed]'y from the vehicle and take the motor-pcb cover off to look inside. Easier said than done, since the cover is sealed in place with tar! Once you break the tar seal it has to be cleaned off with solvent and resealed before the screws are put back in. Big mess too! Be easier to just replace the whole thing.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    They don't "all do that". My '02 TB never has. I love the way dealerships dismiss defects with this logic.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    My problem with the outside temp sensor is beginning to degrade. It was working well with the first start of the day and after several hours of down time and only doing the hold at 50D
    thing after a restart. Today however I noticed after a fresh start that the reading was not stable. It was close to accurate but was gaining and losing a few degrees every few minutes. After about 20 mins of that, it decided to read 50D for several minutes, and then back to something about 10D below the real temp of 87.
    I have an appointment for 6/15 to have it looked at.
    The dealer does not always have the last say. Put a complaint in with GM, and bump things up to the regional rep (or zone rep or whatever they call it). Have the zone rep meet you at the dealer to look at the problem. I'm not sure how you launch all that into motion, perhaps thru the 800 GM number, unless you can find out the number of the zone rep. I would call the 800 number anyway so they can make a record of your problem. Maybe someone in here who has appealed up the ladder can relate the procedure. I hope you get some satisfactory relief on that.
    Well, last night I finally had time to check the orientation of my crossbars, and surprise, they were incorrect. The bottom of the brackets have an LH and RH on them, and mine were on the wrong sides. So, I reversed them.

I haven't driven the truck since because of the beautiful motorcycle weather; but plan to this weekend.

Dean
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    Hi Dean--Didn't know you were a TB/Envoy owner. Mine is a 2003 Envoy with which I am very pleased!!! I just removed my cross bars because I never use them.

C.B.

P.S. I prefer the ST1100 though.
    The 36/36 original warranty is about to expire on my 2002 Envoy SLT 4WD bought 7/19/01. Still love the truck but for the first time in my life I am going to buy an extended warranty. Have been too many little things that have had to be fixed over the 3 years, and I don't want to have to start paying for them all. I plan to keep the truck at least another 36/36 so am buying the 36/36 GM MajorGuard coverage with 0 deductible. Got a great deal on the warranty from my dealer so am going for it. I continue to check this forum every day and will continue to post whenever I have relevant information. To this day I still enjoy driving the Envoy and appreciate all of its features. A great truck all in all, even with the minor annoyances.
  • pete2002pete2002 Member Posts: 36
    I need some input from those who suffer from the above issue. I am about to run out of my standard warranty and decided to return the vehicle to the dealer this week to check this out. They had trouble verifying it at first on their own but when I drove the truck with a technician they were able to verify the complaint. Now they are coming back with a bulletin that was issued in Feb/Mar 2003 telling me this is an inherent whining noise from the differential assembly. I have a slip diff with 3.73 ratio. I know there has been a posting where someone got it fixed by a replacement of the ring and pinion, but my question is, has anyone else noticed this on their vehicle and have they brought it back to the dealer?? What has been the outcome and if no fix, has it gotten worst since it became noticeable? I hear it most on open flat highway with smooth pavement driving at 50mph. This appears to be when it peaks. At lower speeds the noise is less but it is there. Of course with the air at full blast and with the radio on, you cannot hear it. The management at the dealer I am working with are looking into the technicians recommendation which is to do nothing because they are afraid they will make matters worse and since GM says this is inherent noise, they may go with the bulletin. I need to know if this is really inherent or is this just an excuse from GM. Also, I am being told that the noise factor is greater on the 4.10 gear ratios, is this true? Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
    C.B.,

Funny meeting you here! Mine's a 2002 EXT. I love mine too and it's been very good so far in the 45,000 miles we've accumulated.

Dean

P.S. I prefer the ST1100 also ;-)
  • elvis23elvis23 Member Posts: 12
    I still have a year and a half left on my warranty, but I will be interested in extending it. As I understand it, when you buy a GM extended warranty, it starts on the day you sign up. So, I should probably wait until 3 years is up and sign up then. Does anyone have a price list for GM MajorGuard? I do not want a 3rd party warranty. I just want a ballpark so I can start saving up.

Thanks