Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• fpannofpanno Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the quick reponse. New to this message board. How do I get your email addresss??
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    Tblazed- Doing a little research on my AC problem and read your message # 11880 first paragraph which exactly describes what I am expierencing. Was there a final fix to yours?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can access a Town Hall member's profile by clicking on the user's name at the top of a post. You will be able to view the user's email address if the user has elected to make it visible.

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    People thought that Warranty Gold was safe too:

"Warranty Gold" Claims

Are Extended Warranties Warranted? (Smart Money)

Steve, Host
    Thanks
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Nope - still does the same thing after one "update" done. A friend that has a similar '02 LS like mine had it addressed several times before his went out of warranty, reprogrammed, replaced the low side cycling switch, etc., and still does the exact same thing mine does. Almost acts like it is slightly overcharged with refrigerant and the high side pressure on a hot day causes it to cut out. It is designed to cut out if pressure goes too high and exceeds a set value, and will delay re-engagement until the pressure drops back, but seems too sensitive for real world conditions. If yours wasn't doing that before they changed your compressor, maybe they put in a bit too much R134 in yours.
    Yes, Warranty Gold got upside down for consumers, and there was indication of financial problems back in June 2003 when A.M. Bests downgraded the insurer from "B+" to "B"...this is why I cannot stress the importance of making sure the insurer for the aftermarket has at least an "A-" rating or better. Anytime the financial rating drops to "B" recovers are rare and it is only a matter of time.
    tblazed: Reference message 15141...no luck with your email address (they have your email as private). Looking forward to those pictures/web site for the wind noise fix. Thanks, fpanno
    "In March, they were given an A- rating by A.M. Best. All of a sudden, 60 days later, they're in liquidation."

St. Petersburg Times

Steve, Host
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    fpanno--Your last two postings have been double-posted. Once is enough. See messages 15142 & 15145 and 15152 & 15154.

C.B.
    Usually that happens when you refresh the screen after posting. Click Recent Messages and you'll avoid this bug.

Steve, Host
  • calucykcalucyk Member Posts: 35
    Is it just me or has GM released a flurry of recalls on the 02 Bravada recently? I no longer own this vehicle but I continue to receive these notices even though I told them in a letter about a year ago. I've received several recall letters in the past 1 1/2 years, since owning my 02 Bravada, but recently (two months), I've received two recall letters, may be even three. You want to hear the worst part, the recall letters correct issues I claimed were broken on my Bravada and GM warranty claimed, "Could not duplicate". In the state of Texas, to qualify for the lemon law, your vehicle must exhibit the same problem four or more times, out of service for repair 30 plus days or had a serious safety issue that cannot be fixed. The expiration date for lemon law claims is 2 years or 24,000 miles. It just seems odd that GM is releasing all these recalls after a 2 year period. Do you think they knew about these issues and waited knowing it would mitigate liability? That can't be true as I'm sure laws protect us from such a situation...
    I don't know about Texas (or anywhere else <g>), but I don't think the ability to file a lemon law claim prevents you from getting a lawyer and suing for breach of warranty or under some other theory.

In fact, from reading posts from dealers around Town Hall, it sounds like most lemon lawyers do this instead of filing under a lemon law statute.

Steve, Host
    Cbwilsha, recommend that you see msg 15156, it might help you next time. Thanks Steve for correcting cbwilsha.
  • usmctblzrusmctblzr Member Posts: 7
    Hey all, I've actually been with this forum since it first started. just lurked a lot tho. i posted a few messages under the ID bakednut. but i forgot all the info for that ID. but im back after a long over due update. man a lot has happened. a lot of regulars arent around anymore, but its good to see some are still hangin in there.

ANYWAY, i got my '02 lt. pewter metallic TB LT back in july '01. it served me well for 2 yrs. the last year my baby was under the care of my family cuz i was away in Iraq. But as i came home it was crunch time to make a decision on keepin my '02 or springin for a new one. well, i bid farewell to my '02 and it's problems and said hello to my shiny new '04 dk. grey metallic TB LT. My previous truck was the base LT. This one has the DIC and automatic climate control, no moonroof =( (ill live).

I've noticed subtle alterations in the truck ... probly to reduce overall manufac. costs. things such as no plastic cowl over the headlights. or door hinges that used to painted black that are now unpainted steel (leaving them prone to rust i think) no glove box, engine bay and driver side foot area light. just little things they took way made me feel like i was taking a slight step down in build quality. the first year models had their share of problems, but they did really pay attention to detail (very little things). i guess as the years progressed, they may have ironed out some of the first year kinks but also cut back on the little details that made you feel like you were riding in a QUALITY vehicle. I really dont see any REAL improvements in the '04s, somewhat dissapointed. But i do LOVE the new color. it has a purple hue at one angle and green hue at another, a real interesting color. My uncle has the '02 dk. grey envoy SLT, and the color is definatly different. I did however get a glimse @ some of the '05 LS models. they do look pretty slick. white face gauges, chrome accents on int. door handles and shift nobs. looked a lil more like the Envoy than a TB. I always liked the ruggedness of the TB. They apparently dropped the lt. pewter metallic paint (which i did really like)for the silver, the '05 seems to have a darker silver which looks pretty good too.

even tho the subject of leather vs. cloth has been beaten to death, i opted for cloth. Because i use Neoprene seat covers from Wet Okole. They are HANDS DOWN the BEST seat option for me cuz i sweat like a mofo on leather seats.. hey ross1962, i dunno if u wear a wet suit when you go surfin, but these are like wet suits for ur seats. waterproofed too. might wanna check em out. i go snowboarding, camping, hiking, all that outdoor stuff. they're great when ur caught in the rain, or when ur digs are soaked from sittin on ur posterior in the snow cuz u waitin for ur friends to get down the mt.. Plus, they look really nice too. i've gotten LOTS of compliments and inquiries bout them. true u cant just WIPE them down after they get dirty, but i like to wash them every now and then to keep em lookin and smellin clean. they fit like they came from the factory. along with sum rubber floor mats from weathertech, slap on a set of ventvisors and molded mud guards, they make a GREAT all-weather package.

I also got the 17" LTZ rims for my '02 LT which i kept after i turned her in, and when i got my '04 i had to take the new 17"s off. they look bad. they make the truck look less sturdy compared to the older LTZ 17"s, but just my outlook. i noticed they dont use BFG open trails anymore, rather they use some cheapo lookin continentals that have treads that look like they belong on a sedan. im lookin to replace OE tires that come one the 17" LTZ rims. I REALLY like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOs, tirerack dot com has some of the HIGHEST reviews i've seen on any tire, they look MEAN as hell too. but they dont have the OE size of 245/65/17, rather the closest 17 they have is 265/70/17, does n e 1 know if these will fit the 17x7 LTZ rims? how much will this effect ride stability? any help on this would be a HUGE relief, no one i call seem to be able to help me with this issue.

I had the Manik front bar, nerf pipes and tail light guards that ALL went back to Manik so i can get new replacements cuz they got rusty on me, so i got brand new pipes ALL around. YAY MANIK. Piaa sent me a new set of 520s due to rust as well, YAY PIAA. waitin on gettin the front windows tinted, and my viper auto start alarm re-installed. My Yak, roof rack will go back up in the winter, when the snowboarding season starts. i have a bike rack too, but my mt. bike is critically wounded from a mishap @ mt. creek a few months back. but i was able to walk away from it with just a teeny scrape on my elbow. i like to take this opportunity to thank budda, god, allah, gilgamesh and who ever else is up there for that.

I'll try to post some pics of my new turck over @ sounddomain dot com. when i have the tints done. im thinkin bout stereo stuff. but i think i might have to wait till after my 2nd deployment. duty calls so i might have to abandon my baby for another year. this time i mean my girlfriend. hehe.

all in all i guess you can pin me as one of the more satisfied owners of a TB. i was seriously considering a subaru impreza wrx sti, i even took one for a 24hr test drive, MAN ALIVE does that thing WANT to haul [non-permissible content removed]. my brother had a 5-speed wrx, but the STI has NO equal for its price. but after much deliberation with my GF, the SUV was more practical for me. she said i looked dinky in a compact car like the STI, just not me. sure the TB has been plauged by its problems since day 1, the interior is ugly like a mule (sorry, i dont mean to offend mules, they have feelings too) and material qualities are like that of a cheap chinese knockoff (sorry to the chinese), but through its faults, its still a great truck and it looks strong like bull, and there isnt ANYTHING out there that i loved as much as the TB.

sorry i kept it long, just wanted to rant.
    I mentioned that the WRX STI has no equal for its price range. I know that the Evo VIII is the equivalent .... but its just plain UGLIEE!! (sorry to the EVO lovers)
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    Anyone gotten this letter yet? Saw it on the MyGMlink:

Dear GMC Customer:

As the owner of a 2002 - 2004 model year GMC Envoy or Envoy XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us. This letter is intended to make you aware that some of these vehicles may have a condition where the tail lamp/stop lamp(s) may become inoperative.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your dealer as a result of this letter unless you have a tail/stop lamp that is burned out.

What We Have Done:

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the tail lamp/stop lamps. If this condition occurs on your 2002 &#150; 2004 model year GMC Envoy or Envoy XL vehicle within 6 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 72,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special policy condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the GMC Customer Assistance Center at 1-866-996-9463.
  • ccarbaughccarbaugh Member Posts: 12
    Sieford, yes I got this letter. I have a 02 Envoy SLT. I also had the left side tail lamp burn out about 2 months ago. I put a new lamp in and it is working ok. Don't know what I should do? Tell the dealer it went out or wait till it goes out again. I don't know what they will replace anyway. I read on here something about a circuit board they will replace. Not sure what to do.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    As I understand it, they replace the plastic board that the three sockets are mounted on.
  • zachzach Member Posts: 3
    Is there a way we (non-mechanics) can shut that oil life light or reset the idiot light? I change my own oil so it never gets done.
    I dont know if anyone has actually removed the taillight, but if you do, notice there is a gapeing hole staring right at you. that hole is staring right at the rear wheel. so what happens when i rains?? the circuit board is held in place with 2 metal screws, and sealed with a rubber gasket. well the screws rust, and the gasket rots and all of the sudden the "water tight" seal is no more. i wonder if this issue will come back. after another few years of wet downs. i put mud guards on the truck, so i think this will stop the water from sprayin up to the tail lights.

Hey zach, the manual will tell you how to reset the light. it's somewhere along the lines of turning the key to the on position and depressing and releasing the break 5 times within a certain time period. i always do my oil change. and i have to reset it, but i have to look it up in the manual everytime. maybe i should write it down ..... hmmm. later all.
    From a GM bulletin:

1. Turn the ignition to RUN with the engine off.
    2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds.

If the CHANGE ENG OIL light goes out after the reset procedure and does not return after the next ignition cycle, then the system has been reset.

If the vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center (DIC), then reset confirmation can also be done by verifying that the Engine Oil Life percentage value has reset to 100%.

Regarding resetting a service engine light, first you need to find out why it came on by checking for any stored trouble code, then you can use the same scan tool you read the code with to reset it.
    Shouldn't haver to worry about the screws that hold the lamp boards to the lenses rusting. They're stainless steel. 3 each on mine. When you take off the board from the tail light lens to change a lamp, there should be 3 orange colored silicone rubber-looking seals, one around each lamp on the lamp pcb [non-permissible content removed]'y, to keep water out. If one if those is missing water can get in. Doubt that seal material would rot since it's looks like a silicone rubber and it's not exposed to the sun.
    when i first tried to replace the rear right bulb, one of the the scrwes snapped cuz of the rust. stainless shouldnt do that. so the seal went to hell right there. im assuming the rot came from all the salt on the roads in the winter. my truck had 60k miles and they replaced it under "warranty". along with the wiper motor.
    Host,

I must admit at first I did not believe that article link posted. But I checked and discovered the following per A.M. Best news:

3/7/03 - downgraded from A- to B++
    5/23/03- downgraded to B
    6/03- downgraded to C- and then insolvency and liquidation declared.

Wow! Very unusual a company will go under this quickly. I know this is not the proper forum to keep discussing, but I am amazed at the speed. Something major was off.

Thanks again for that information.
    Yeah, if I was going to buy one, I think I'd stick to one offered by GM.

Steve, Host
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    Good luck getting the light reset. I usually have trouble getting mine to reset so I just leave it.

After I try the "Turn the ignition to RUN with the engine off & Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds" method a few times unsuccessfully, I get frustrated and quit trying.

Dean
    Keep us posted if anyone upgrades/trades their 2001-03 trailblazer for a 2005. I would like to hear their feedback on positive and negative changes. Aren't the 2005's out yet to dealers? I have not come across any literature
    I usually have trouble getting mine to reset so I just leave it.

Try pressing the pedal to the floor three times, and pausing about 1 sec in between. Have heard that if you do it too fast it won't reset. Never had a problem getting mine to reset that way.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I reset mine using the steering wheel button through the DIC display. Works every time.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hello everyone

I am taking my 2002 Trailblazer in for a 58,000 mile service. Most of the items are "inspect" this and that. Does anyone know if there are any items that shoudl be replaced at this interval? ( Tranny fluid, coolant, etc). I drive 65 miles a day all highway so I think I'm ok but wanted to check.

Many thanks.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    You may want to lubricate the fuel gauge needle bearings. The are probably worn do to overuse. All that back and forth between full and empty can take a toll on the part. And don't forget the gas tank filler neck door hinges too.
    I recall seeing the manual stating that tranny fluid should be ok until 100K miles and since your driving is easy-highway driving you should be fine. Spark plugs and coolant should fine as well until 100K. I would pay attention to fuel filter, air filter, brakes, and serpentine belt. That's it. I pulled my air filter at 45K miles and it was very dirty. I was amazed since the indicator was "green" on that tube. I will probably do a tranny flush when I hit 75K...I do more stop and go (0-45mph)...may try to squeeze out life of factory brakes until 75K as well. Even though I baby my trailblazer with 50K miles, her brakes may not make it to 75K.
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    This is the whiiiining I refered to...
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Amen! That post had no place here. If you want super economy you should never have bought a triplet or any other truck based SUV. Ficuss should save it for the Sarcastic Remarks Board!
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    Bought my '02 Envoy new and the extended warranty at purchase through GM. Paid about $1800 for 100,000 miles of coverage and $100 deductible. Truck now has 47K on it and contrary to widespread thinking of what is going to happen after the standard warranty runs out, I only had to use the warranty once and that was to replace the wiper motor which GM will now reimburse me for.

Everything is still tight, quiet, and solid. I really enjoy driving the truck. Had the usual list of items replaced under warranty and the re-engineered parts have not needed replacing.

Someone once asked on this board if the triplets were jam or jelly. Well they both seem kind of "soft" to me but I would say the truck will hold its own and provide a long life if maintained.

While some have criticized GMC for its branding of "Professional Grade Engineering", I think it suites the features (i. e. ECAS, etc.) in my XL SLT and I identify with the branding personally. I think the Envoy is a great looking vehicle that gets lots of attention from other drivers which makes me feel good too. The Bose rocks and more and more stations are sending RDS signals which enhance the listening experience.

Now if I could get the car porter at the dealership to take the parking brake off before driving away. . .

Chris
  • cameokidcameokid Member Posts: 31

#15081 of 15181 TACH NOISE by previousamigo Aug 19, 2004 (4:29 pm)
    I had the tach noise and thought the dealer would replace the entire instrument panel. They fixed and said it was just one small part. I haven't heard the noise since the fix 6 months ago

Hi all, sorry to repeat my request but I'm going in Fri for an oil change and I'd like to get my tach noise fixed. Does anyone know what part replacement fixes this problem?

Thanks much -
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    lighten up, it was a joke. The fuel gauge needle bearing doesn't have a grease fitting anyway.
  • bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    There used to be a guy in here named Tim Lauro. He even had a site timlauro.com with some TB information on it. Does anyone know his contact e-mail address as I need some information he had on that site. Thanks
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    Found Tim's site,

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/my_cars

but according to the message at the bottom of this page he no longer has the TB info.
  • ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    What information from Tim's site are you looking for? While I didn't copy everything, I did grab most of the service information and bulletins he had up.

Ray
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Thanks to all who replied. I will make sure they dont do anything "extra". I know the serpentine belt should be replaced.
    Can't complain about the fuel economy I get with my truck..never expected it have the fuel economy of a Cavalier or Civic.
    I would be interested in knowing what your dealer recommends/suggests. I change my own oil and I had one dealer service rep tell me: "We notice that you change your own oil. You know you should be using an AC Delco oil filter for this vehicle. This new engine is specifically designed to work best with an AC Delco oil filter and not using an AC Delco filter will tear up your oil pump and affect performance." I remember asking him to mail me documentation in writing stating such...never received anything.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I finally found the invoices regarding the tach noise and new baffle for my "02 TB. These were both fixed under warranty so I don't have a price.

The service guy said there was just one small part to replace but the invoice states:
    "install sop instr.cluster - (tech 2310)
    cause: failed
    N4180 cluster assembly, instrument panel R&R or replace
    2310 WC
    FC: 6C part #: count: 0"

The new baffel design is more molded and shaped as where the old design is just a flat piece.
    "customer states the baffle on the passenger side door loose
    install sop
    cause: loose
    B0764 sheild and/or liner front wheelhouse panel right replace
    59 wc
    1 15173519 seal
    fc: 2W
    Part#: 15173519 count: 1
    17431 retaining clip on seal is deformed #59 removed right front splash gaurd and inner fender to gain access to and replace seal between back of inner fender and body at front of drivers door opening

While I'm here, anyone notice a shudder or bad gear change (not smooth) when when the automatic transmission goes from 1st to 2nd gear? I don't feel this with any other gear change and I don't feel this if I'm really heavy on the gas pedal.
    Have not had that shifting problem. The transmission on my 02 TB is very smooth on all shifts points for entire throttle range, and has been since day 1. How many miles do you have on your TB? Is it clunking into gear or slipping? How long has it been doing this? Can you describe "bad gear change"? Have you tried shifting manually through the gears to see if it shifts smoother? It could be a pressure soleniod sensor since it seems to be related to how much gas you give it.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Well, I don't really buy the oil filter argument, but I fried the ignition on my '92 S-10 Blazer by using platinum tipped Bosch spark plugs. I'll always use the OEM plugs from now on.
  • oompaoompa Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I have. Here recently I purchased an aftermarket XM radio and had it installed by an audio/video shop. That night I noticed that I could not turn on my fog lamps or even turn on all interior lighting via the panel control switch. As a matter of fact, the control panel is not functioning at all. I can not dim my instrument panel, turn on my parking lights or anything. Fortunately, the car has auto head lamps. Anyway, if anyone has an idea as to what might be the reason behind this problem, please let me know. I think it might be a module within the fuse block, but then again, I don't know for sure. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!!!
    If they had to disassemble the instrument panel to get to the radio when they were doing the install, maybe they didn't get the headlight switch connector plugged back in. That'd be my first guess. Second guess: they might have damaged the Body Control module (BCM) probing around looking for some wire to tap into for whatever reason. Go back to that installer and have them check for an unplugged connector, and mske them fix it. Good luck with it!
  • oompaoompa Member Posts: 2
    Thanks tblazed for the information you've provided me with. I'll certainly ask them about those things you mentioned. Thanks again!!!
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    Back in the days when I changed the oil and filter I would purchase the oil filters in bulk from the parts department at the dealer (buy 5 & get the 6th one for free, or similar deal) to save some money and ensure I was using the right oil filter for the application.

Chris