Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• polespoles Member Posts: 23
    what kind of car are you showing in the picture because i know it is not a Trailblazer
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    Haven't checked in for a awhile. After reading some posts about having to replace rotors after 25K I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience like mine?

I have 55K on my '02 Envoy XL and the dealer said I've used only 1/3 of the linings. I should be good on front and rear brakes until at least 80K. I won't mind paying for new brakes at that time and I will buy GM parts and service. I just feel better doing that and have had good experiences with GM parts and servicing.

I had a similar experience with my '97 Monte Carlo. I think I had the brakes done at 92K. Mostly highway driving on both vehicles.

For my experience GM does know how to do brakes right.

My Envoy rotors aren't rusty either.

Chris
  • meltbmeltb Member Posts: 1
    I just had a lemon trailblazer ext GM buyback. I

did not need a lawyer. I had my car in repair for

at least 25 times and one problem for six times. I

let them know I had enough, told them I'd go to the news and the next day the rep came out. I

gave them a week to fix it or wanted a new car or

my money back so that I could get a vehicle I paid

for. I got it in writing, the mileage was from the time I first had problems. Everything needs to be in writing, your conversations with the service people, your cars history and they can't

dispute the facts. I found GM to be fair with their buyback offer and would purchase another GM.

Cars have problems and believe me, I went through

some aggrevating and angry times, but by keeping

a level head and giving them no room to argue the

facts, I prevailed without a lawyer. You too, can

do this on your own and don't take no excuses. Their is a wealth of information on the internet

which I used to strengthen my knowledge to show

I was no push over. Good Luck
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I found it on some site. Looks like it might be gm though?
    My rear wiper on my 02 TB doesn't work good.

I had it in to the dealer yesterday for the tail light fix and a broken 3rd brake light.

They said I needed a new blade for only $16. I passed. I replaced the blade myself and it still misses in spots. I think that there is not enough pressure on the spring. When the wiper is on and I press down on the arm it works great.

Any fixes out there?
    The Dealer said I am due for a new fuel filter, air filter, and a fuel injection cleaning.

1st, I told him that I use Redline SI-1 and it is better than any dealer $129 cleaning FOR ONLY $5.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_fueladditives.asp

2nd, I could change the fuel filter, but not this soon.

3rd, I asked him if my TB had 1,000,000 miles on it. He asked why. I told him that is when my K&N Air filter needs to be replaced.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    spray some wd40 on the first joint of the wiper arm. This is the joint nearest the wiper motor post. Exercise the joint after spraying with wd40. This will help. Other lub sprays may also help, I happened to use wd40.

I know WD40 is NOT a lubricant, but it works great.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    I know WD40 is NOT a lubricant, but it works great.

WD-40 is a lubricant. It is just a light lubricant that can also act as a solvent for thicker lubricants and adhesives.

I know you only mentioned this because you know others would jump on you saying "WD-40 is a solvent,not a lubricant." That isn't correct.
    So should people jump on me or not? Either way, it will loosen a stiff wiper joint. The reason I said WD40 is not a lubricant is because we've had this discussion before, and the consensus was that it wasn't and therefore is still that it isn't..

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    WD40 says it is a lubricant.

And a solvent ("dissolves adhesives", etc.).

I think it does everything but take out the trash.

WD40

Steve, Host
    from WD40:

"WD-40 is also great when it comes to cleaning grease, grime, and other marks from most surfaces."

No biggie but....

How can you clean grease from a surface and lubricate it at the same time?

I'll tell you what it will do, Use it to clean up the mess the next time you spill paint on a smooth surface. You won't believe what you just did. And the surface won't be slippery afterwards.
    I dunno, but it's not the only product out there that advertises it "cleans and lubricates."

AquaSeal Zip Care (I've used that on my drysuit), and 3M™ Throttle Plate and Intake Cleaner are two of the more reputable products making that claim. Not much grease on my throttle body or drysuit though (or on that wiper arm I bet).

Steve, Host
  • amom1amom1 Member Posts: 1
    Thought I'd give you an update re: my status with my 03 Envoy. (see post 15064) I contacted a lemon law atty via the internet, told them my story, they took the case (no cost to me but court filing fees). It took a few months but we turned our car back in yesterday and received our buyback ck from GM. (without ever going to court) This website is a great help. I'll use it again when making my decision on what to buy next.

Thanks!
    Thanks for the update. Here's hoping you don't get stuck again! It's a slow process isn't it?

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How can you clean grease from a surface and lubricate it at the same time?

By dissolving it? :-)

tidester, host
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Well, it did start out as a lube. It's a water displacement chemical developed here in San Diego for use on Atlas and Centaur rockets to keep the stainless steel tanks from corroding. (Yes, I know, but they do corrode). Anyway, I used to work in the building where they assemled these and they apply the stuff with big dustmops.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I prefer Remington "Rem Oil with Teflon" with "superior cleaning, lubricating and anti-corrosion" protection as an excellent spray oil lubricant (10 oz size available for <$5 in the sporting goods dep't at your favorite big box store).

WD40 works good as a solvent for cleaning old gummy grease and dirt from mechanisms, before you relubricate it with something else that will stay put and work for a while.
  • noagendanoagenda Member Posts: 1
    Replacing the fan clutch in my 02 GMC Envoy...would anyone know the part # or where to get the special tool to remove the fan clutch from the water pump pulley? (special wrench that holds the pulley)

FYI...dealer wanted $600+ to replace...found a new fan clutch on ebay for $90.00, BUT you will need the special wrench to remove.

thanks for any assistance

Al
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    The Fan Clutch Remover and installer uses part no. J41240. Manual says to order from OE Tool and Equipment Group Kent-Moore 28635 Mound Road Warren MI 48092. Phone 1-800-345-2233.
    Buy one, and you can go into the triplet fan clutch tool rental business. Please post how much it costs.
    Might try these guys.

http://store.autotoolexpress.com/gmchryswatpu.html

NOA's Tool Rental ??? LOL
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I am not very impressed with mine. I just paid $123 to replace the front pads on my 02 with 31000 miles (the front rotors rusted and were replaced under warranty).

Now they are squeaking and I have to bring it back once again! Grrrrrr.

Jeff
  • gmcmangmcman Member Posts: 30
    I keep searching other forums as well and cannot find anyone who has done this, is it possible? I understand you need the certain options and I have them but I hear the connector is different. I would really like to get this radio because it really is a bargain for what it offers. Any help appreciated.
  • adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    My radio buttons are peeling. I've read where the dealer will replace this under warranty. I wonder if the 05 MP3 player can be put in its place. I have an 03 TB. Would be a nice upgrade if possible.
  • gmcmangmcman Member Posts: 30
    I had that problem also and the dealer replaced my radio. I'm not sure what intensity you have your instrument lights set at but I turned mine down to lower the temp of the lights because they really put out alot of heat when turned up.
    do you work on any other gov. projects that are secret?
  • sisu145sisu145 Member Posts: 22
    I've been searching too. Everything says from 03 on.

I'd really like it for my 02 SLT with Bose and steering wheel controls. If you find anything, post it, and I'll do the same.

Peace
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I tried to put a '04 TB factory radio with the band button in my '02 TB and it would not work. The radio was locked and two different dealerships could not unlock it after both said it would be easy to do. The '02 can not "communicate" with later year models and neither dealership knew that before I purchased the '04 radio from ebay. I was looking to get XM Direct hooked up to the factory radio via wire but I needed a GM radio with a band button.

I had to purchase and install an aftermarket Poineer that I'm also having problems with. Seems like every once in a while my TB doesn't recognize the radio since it is not factory and won't power it on. Most of the times it does turn on.
  • ugltrkugltrk Member Posts: 16
    Where is the oil filter located on 02 Envoy? Do you have to take the skid plate off to get to it, or am I too blind to see it? On the amsoil site, it appears to be on the pass. side.

Opinions on Mobil 1 synth oil.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    do you work on any other gov. projects that are secret?

The Atlas rockets aren't secret.

I don't work on any secret projects and couldn't talk about them if I did.
  • ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    The filter is on the front right (Passenger) side of the engine and is accessible without removing the skid plate. (It is a little cleaner to drop the plate to access it, as the oil doesn't drip down and run along the side of the plate).

When you open the oil plug access door built into the skid plate, reach/look up just off to the side of the oil pan....can't miss it! (You can also see the bottom of it on the lower passenger side wheel well).

Ray
    I've found it's easier to get to the oil filter if you turn the wheels all the way to the right before you start. Then you can get to the filter through the wheel well. And like ylab said, the access door on the skid plate works, but it's easier (to me) to remove the 4 bolts and set the whole thing over to the side. Makes wiping up the inevitable oil spill while removing the filter a lot easier.
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    Speaking of oil changes, do you guys lubricate anything on the chassis when you change the oil?
    There isn't anything else to lubricate since none of the suspension parts have grease fittings. Good time to add a little white lithium grease to the rubber hood stops, maybe wipe some silicone oil spray on the rubber door seals. Do a good visual and check all the fluid levels of everything else under the hood while the oil's draining. Look at the bottom of the engine for any signs of leaks. About all you can do.
    I cut a plastic 2 liter bottle a little larger than the filter. I loosen the filter into my plastic bottle and the oil spills inside of the bottle instead of on the truck. I used to bring it out the side from underneath, I am going to try turning the wheels next time.
    Has anyone smelled gas inside the car (triplet) upon cold startup? If so what was the cause and what was done to repair it?

ross1962....I just wanted you to think about it. Sometimes people think no one else is reading these forums.
    You'll still probably have bring the filter out the bottom; it's just a lot easier for me to get a hold of the thing from the side and direct it down and out. I have a small funnel I put under it before I loosen and the oil starts dripping out, and have tried rags stuffed around to catch the oil drips. I'll give the cut bottle-sleeve a try in a week or two, is about due for an oil change.
  • ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    I have a Wind-Jammer installed on my Envoy and have seen the nearly identical TB unit. Installation is very strait forward and involves cleaning the mount area, rubbing activator on it and then peel and stick. There's 3M table on the bottom of the unit....seems to hold tight even at somewhat illegal speeds. (Mine has stayed put for better than 2 years so far).

Be aware that the style used for our trucks isn't that of the one shown in your posted picture. The model we get extends low enough that the bottom is open. - They're also black out of the box, which happens to look great on a white Envoy with the dark glass and black side trim along the hatch.

Ray
  • ugltrkugltrk Member Posts: 16
    Thanks guys,

I knew someone could tell me, I would have found it eventually, but it's better to know ahead of time,also needed to check filter #, it's a PF61.(dealer change)I got different #s at different parts websites,ORiley used the VIN #, and got the right one.

I used to work on the I-6s back in the 50s, they don't look too much alike. Think I 'll take the skidplate off,cause it needs rust treatment.

I'm gonna try the bottle trick..
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    I am the former owner of an 03 TB and am looking at getting another TB, a 2005. Are most of the issues with these trucks fixed and are there any new issues? Most things were not major anyways, but a lot of small things like the rear plate gasket, power steering problems in the very cold weather, stabilizer end links wearing, and the brake light problem affected just about everyone. Any info is appreciated. Also, have they decontented any standard equipment since the 03 year? Are an underhood light and glovebox light available now? Any options I should seriously consider getting or any I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance,

Elevatorguy
    I know they "remodeled" the headliner and got rid of the individual lights on left and right sides, went to front and back central lights, the back one has nothing behind it to reinforce it when you push the on-off buttons, so the whole headliner moves and flops back. Got rid of the driver's side grab handle (wasn't much good where it was anyway, mounted overhead, rather than on the normal A-pillar position, so that's no big deal).

Also there is no serviceable FUEL FILTER on the 2005s. Don't know what you do if you get a bad tank of gas - tow it to the dealer and pull the tank, replace the pump? Injectors? Fuel rail?

GM should at least make available a light group option that would have all the courtesy, underhood and glovebox lights they took out.
    It is a good thing that GM got out of the refrigerator business, because by now there would be no lights in the refrigerator. :)
    Read on another forum somewhere that a plastic zip lock bag wrapped around the oil filter as it was removed cut down on oil spillage. Would that work on the TB's?
    That would probably help too, as long as the oil goes IN the bag, not down the outside. Slipping the box the new filter came in over the old one, and then remove it, will catch a lot of the oil. It's not that bad really. Easy to do compared to some vehicles.
  • jarrettjarrett Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a 2003 Chey Trailblazer (4 weeks ago) and have had the 'reduced engine power light come on 3 times in 3 weeks. It causes me to only be able to go 10 mph and I have to get off the road. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what did you do about it? Was it covered under a warranty as electrical or computer? I am having a problem getting someone to deal with it. I have a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty that I purchased with it and they are saying it is not covered. Help!
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    I have a 02 Bravada. Thinking about a rear air deflector to keep the dust off the back door and window. Anyone have one? Does it keep rear window cleaner? Thanks
    To anyone who's triplet makes a clunking front end noise, My dealer just replaced the sway bar links under extended warranty terms. If your triplet sounds like it's about to fall apart when going over small bumps, have it checked out.

The reduced engine power mode can be activated by any of few things happening. Any good dealer mechanic should be able to determine the cause. If everything else seems normal (except engine power), it's not overheating, it's not low on oil, etc, it may be a bad sensor. Bring it to a reputable dealer for repair.
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    I have an '03 as well. Had the same symptoms you describe two times. Each time the truck would eventually not start. Each time it was the ignition switch. Yes, it was covered under the 3/36 warranty.

Hope this helps

Wxman
    Re: Windjammer Rear Air Deflector - By Lund [2k_impala_ls] by ylab

"I have a Wind-Jammer installed on my Envoy and have seen the nearly identical TB unit."

Is there any way you could post a picture or email me one. I read that there is a way to mount it without using the tape?