Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    I'll be removing my Onstar antenna before I go through a car wash from now on. The thing snapped off and cost $45 for a new one! :mad:
  • paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    What style do you have? Analog on rear window or digital on top of cab?

Paul P
  • meyervillameyervilla Member Posts: 40
    I'm still wearing my GMC cap. It stood up better than my '02 Envoy which fell apart. Too bad; I miss it. It was so comfortable to drive. The seats were much more comfortable than my Honda Pilot.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    They can be found on Ebay for less quite often. :)
  • elvis23elvis23 Member Posts: 12
    I had the same thing happen to me. Now I unscrew the antenna from the window bracket before I go through. I also unscrew the main antenna just to be safe. In my previous vehicles, the antenna was in-glass. This is a nice feature with the car washes.
    What style do you have? Analog on rear window or digital on top of cab?

The one on the window.
  • tednustednus Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Silverado with the same Passlock problem that many have described. I do not need the theft prevention system. I do not want the dealer to get rich on me fixing something I neither use or want. Can it be disconnected? disabled?. The manual (pg 2-14) refers to a fuse. Which one is it? No mention of Passlock in the fuse listing.
  • tednustednus Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Silverado with a malfunctioning Passlock system that many of you have complained about. I do not need it or want it. How can it be disconnected, disabled? The Owners Manual (pg 2-14) refers to a fuse in the "Fuses and Circuit Breaker" section. I cannot determine the fuse referred to. No mention of Passlock.
    If I find the fuse and pull it will it cause other problems?
    I am sure the problem is in the ignition switch. I am going to spray it with electronic contact cleaner. It might be as simple as that.
    Does anyone have any information regarding the fix for this?
    Here's all I could get from this site regarding the symptoms, but there's no detail on the cure.
    "Summary:
    VEHICLE DIFFICULT TO FILL WITH FUEL/ FILLING STATION PUMP SHUTS OFF BEFORE TANK FULL. ALSO INCLUDING 2003 BUICK RAINIER. *MR"

I've been dealing with this problem for 2 years and need to know the cure.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    I just changed the oil for the first time on my 04 Envoy. Talk about a serious lack of space to access the filter! What's happening is that the filter is above a crossmember and when it is unscrewed it drains down onto it. I'm sure the service techs don't cover it up or clean it up so it eventually drips down onto the driveway. One more reason I always do my own oil changes.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Having just done my first oil change on my 04 Envoy I discovered there are no zerk fittings on the front suspension. While this may save me a few minutes each time I change the oil it's going to take me way more time to replace the front end components that will certainly wear out prematurely. What kind of distance are others getting out of their front ends before parts are being replaced?
  • archie1934archie1934 Member Posts: 4
    I use to always change my own oil etc. but at 70+ years I am getting a little long in the tooth (and lazy) to crawl around under the TB. Getting under there and changing the oil is fine, but getting back up is a b****.
  • allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    Had the same problem in my 02 Bravada, would take forever to full the tank, always back splashing over everything.
    It got to the point the dealer replaced the gas tank and filler pipe. It still splash gas back out the filler pipe.
    The final solution was to replace the charcoal canister and vent line. It was full of fuel and couldn't vent the tank when filling. Have the dealer check it out.

Allen
    Thanks, I appreciate the response. I seem to remember someone mentioning the charcoal canister in the past. That must be it.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Hi all,

I have a 2004 4WD Isuzu Ascender, an GMC Envoy clone. Base on the problems I have read on this forum, I feel fortunate. Engine (4.2 6cyl) is smooth as silk, mileage is decent for an SUV (16-21), and it is fairly comfortable vehicle to ride in. Other than a CD/radio that gets hot at night due to the display lights, I have had no problems with this vehicle. Knock on fake wood. I do wish it was a bit more stable when cornering and have been considering upgrading the sway bars that many on here have done. Fortunately the Isuzu warranty is 3/50k miles(bumper to bumper) and 10/75k (powertrain) thus, if anything bad does occur, I am cover for a couple more years and more on the powertrain. I only have to hope Isuzu stays in business, LOL.

My question to the forum is, "Has anybody else had a problem with the radio/cd player overheating at night? " And if so, what was the fix? Thanks.
    Another item to consider to make the vehicle more stable when cornering is to get the Ground Force lowering kit. I have it on my '03 Envoy, and drove an '05 Envoy last week. My '03 handles much better when cornering.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Has anybody else had a problem with the radio/cd player overheating at night? " And if so, what was the fix?

Try turning the intensity of your instrument panel lights down to about half. The bulbs will run cooler, and last a lot longer too.
    Has anybody else had a problem with the radio/cd player overheating at night? " And if so, what was the fix?

Try some light jazz. ;)
  • shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    I have driven just about every SUV out there and at this point I have it down to two (Jeep Grand Cheorkee and the Buick Ranier). One of my choices is the Buick Ranier. I am concerned about they type of ride it will deliver over the long term. The amount of comfort in the front seat and the amount of wind noise. I currently have a 2002 Trailbalzer. I have not been satisfied with it because of the same concerns I have listed above. The Buick sales person that I have talked to assured me that I want have the same problems with the Buick. I can't see how I would not because they are built on the same platform. I don't want to drive four more years with the same problems. I was just wondering if anyone out there had a Buick Ranier and how they like it. Your comments and help would be greatly appreciated.
  • adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    Shorty, I have an 03 TB. I have heard from about all reviews that the Ranier is one of the quietest SUVs on the market. The rear suspension is air-controlled, making the ride even better then the TB. I agree the cloth seats are huge but provide little support, but the leather seats are better. The Buick also has been quiet-tuned, with more sound insulation and a laminate on the glass for further noise suppression. I'm sure the dealers would let you keep both for a day or 2 to compare. Good luck.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    With your experience with the '02 TB, you should be able to tell the differences right away, if the Buick "Quiet Tune" makes enough difference, and if it's improved enough overall after 4 years building these things.

How many months supply of Rainiers does GM have sitting on lots? I know the Arlington, TX GM Full-size SUV factory has been scheduled to be shut down for 6 weeks so far this year because of excess inventory.

Don't they allow test drives? Maybe you should ask the dealer for the GM 24 Hour Test Drive being promoted a while back.
    While looking at the Buick Rainier, you might also consider the new GMC Envoy Denali that is on the GMT360 chassis. I drove one last week and it is quieter than my '03 Envoy.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    My 02 TB has 16.5k miles and the doors are starting to rust. The inside bottom seam which runs along the bottom of the door is starting to rust. At first it started to bubble now I see actual rust all along the seam. My 3 year warranty is up in July. I am planning on taking it in to the dealer but I am not sure what the best fix would be. Should I demand a new door or let some body shop flunky grind away at my door. I shoud have listened to my older neighboor who said he always squirts oil onto the doors on all of his new cars to prevent rust.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Don't all GM vehicles have something like a 5 year 80k rust warranty? Call up Chevy customer service and document this. I'm sure they will want you to take it into the dealer...

--Robert
    First, I would graba a rag and thoroughly wipe down the ninside and outside edges of the door to make sure it is rust and not road grime. If it is rust, take it in and get some answers. Do you live up north, btw?
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Check the drain openings. They might be plugged.
    Thanks for the information and the advice. I will ask my local dealer if I can drive one for several days.
    I am not sure how many months supply of the Buick Ranier is out there. I will do some more research. I know that at the two dealership that I visted in Baton Rouge, LA I saw a total of six. Five 2005's and one 2004. I was very quickly given a quote of invoice minus rebates for a 2005. I am pretty sure that one of the local dealers would let me take it over night. Thanks for the help
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    It is definitely rust and I take extra good care of the TB. The TB looks still looks like new.
    I do live in the northeast but it must be from water not draining properly or to much is getting in through the window seal. One rear door is the worst, the other rear door is starting and on of the front doors is starting also. The warranty on cosmetic rust is 3/36k and the rust through warranty is 6/100k . it wont rust through in 6 years but it will be hard to sell
  • imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    I was reading about how GM and Ford are losing market share and screaming poverty. They are blaming it on gas prices and other things. I blame it on styling and quality. The Triplets are the only SUV that turns my head that GM makes. The Suburban, Tahoe, and Yukon are bland. The Tahoe actually is a better family vehicle, but the design is old.

Reading this board, the triplets have a ton of issues. Not big ones, but little ones that drive people insane. I had to resolve the wind noise in my TB myself. What does that say about GM? I love Chevy's. However, if I was given the same price on a Trailblazer or a 4Runner, I'd take the Toyota. The styling is better, and the quality is better.

GM and Ford need to get their heads out of their (insert expletive) and get some styling changes made and solve their quality issues. I really like the Chevrolet HHR and the Trailblazer SS models coming out, but if they are asking huge dollars for them, I don't want them.

I bought a TB because of the huge discounts GM was offering. It was all about the money. GM has lost its luster, and I am afraid it can't get it back until they make a vehicle that never has problems. They don't even come close at this point.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a recent thread along these lines by one of our editors over in Karl's Daily Log Book. Recommended!

Steve, Host
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    imadad, I had felt a pain similar to yours for some time, until I had a very painless procedure called a 2002TBectomy. The procedure called for a short ride to a Mitsubishi dealer in Park Ridge Il. The highly trained sales staff scrubbed up and sharpened their pencils to remove the GM tumor from my life. My new 2005 Mitsu. Endeavor LTD has all the style I liked about the TB, but lacks the troublesome hi tech gadgetry GM attempted to use. The steering is tight and responsive. The engine is of a proven design and has more power than is needed. The full time 4wd negates the need for a demand switch which fails as with the TB. It comes standard with a 315 watt Infinity stereo with 6 disc storage. This is a crossover SUV, meaning it is built off a car chassis rather than a truck chassis. The ride is more car like than truck like, which makes it much superior to the TB. I have driven it for a nearly a month now and have found nothing to call the dealer about. At about $8K less than the top of line TB, the Endeavor Limited is a much better value for the money. Resale values should be about the same for each in 4 years. The Endeavor has a 10 yr. 100K drive line warranty, a 5 yr. bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 yr. no cost service policy. Everything called for in the owners manual is included for free.
    This is a made in the U.S.A. vehicle and is a great alternative to the tripletts. The only shortcoming as compared to a TB is the out of door towing capacity. It comes short.
    BTW, the reason I am still here posting is that no-one has anything much to say ( complain about) about 2005 Endeavors.
  • sabotagesabotage Member Posts: 15
    I have heated mirror's, if I buy TB mirrors with the turn signals on it, is it just simple plug and play and is the same wiring used for both heated and turn signal?? Thanks a million!!!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You bought a gorified car, not in the same class as the TB. No 2 speed transfer case no real off roading ability and best yet why do you think you got that big warranty. Read up on how MItsu screwed their customers for years in Japan and around the world with inferior products in which they hid from the government problems and in Japan they have lost so much market share from the shoddy vehicles that they are rolling over backwards trying to get customers back. Good luck, you may need that warranty. :P :lemon:
    I agree with him also, less torque, horsepower ETC...
    LS XLS LIMITED
    Engine Type: V6 V6 V6

Engine Block: Cast Iron Cast Iron Cast Iron

Cylinder Head: Aluminum Alloy Aluminum Alloy Aluminum Alloy

Displacement (liters): 3.8 3.8 3.8

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net): 225@5000 225@5000 225@5000

Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 255@3750 255@3750 255@3750

Redline (rpm): 6200 6200 6200

Bore and Stroke (mm): 95.0 x 90.0 95.0 x 90.0 95.0 x 90.0

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1 10.0:1 10.0:1

Valvetrain: SOHC 24-Valve SOHC 24-Valve SOHC 24-Valve
    Where do you think a TB can go with about 5 inches of front end to pavement clearance? As far as not being in the same class as the TB, you are correct and I am happy to upgrade. This is my 2nd Mitsu. product, the first being a 99 Diamante. Four years of leasing the Diamante caused me 1 trip to the dealer, to replace a bad horn, 1 of 2 went out. I suppose the Chevy Vega was a blessing to the American public as was the G.M. V8-6-4 engine. Let's see, the Corvair was a real safe car to ride in, especially the back seat. The 10 yr. 100k mile warranty is insurance that repair costs will be bourn by the responsible party, not the innocent dupe who buys the poorly engineered product. I suppose you would rather buy a car with no warranty, implying that the car must be perfect. If I make a good product, I would gladly provide a long warranty, look at the G.M. Northstar product.
    It takes a very narrow vision to not see that other countries may also have good and great engineers. Look around you, do Lexus, Nissan and Toyota come from Michigan?
    I am not saying the Endeavor will be the best car ever. I am saying the 2001 and 2002 Trailblazers I owned were the worst.
    Do really any SUV's ever touch the off road??? Except for a occasional camping trip with the FAM....If I wanted to go off roading I would buy a old pick up and put a lift kit and chunky tires to go off road'n..Just my 2 cents :)
    Yes, simple plug and play. You can also just buy the orange turn signal lens and bulbs and convert what you have.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It takes a very narrow vision to not see that other countries may also have good and great engineers.

Yep, some look at the Endeavor and wonder Mitsubishi: Can This Brand Be Saved?. (Inside Line)

"Indeed, turnarounds happen. Look at Chrysler, Nissan and Volkswagen, the Mitsubishi folks point out."

I'd say it's about GM's time, in spite of whispering about Bob Lutz. (Inside Line)

With all the rumors of GM going Chapter 11 and all sorts of doom and gloom articles, it's probably just a great time to load up on some GM stock, especially if you like the TBs and think GM is undervalued right now. (this ain't financial advice so don't bet your retirement on some internet musings :shades: ).

Steve, Host
    ..This is a crossover SUV, meaning it is built off a car chassis rather than a truck chassis. The ride is more car like than truck like, which makes it much superior to the TB..

That's like saying the color red is superior to the color blue. I drive a truck because I like the ruggedness of a truck. If I wanted a car, I'd buy a car. My only complaint about the SUVs of today is that too many soccer moms are driving them which leads to manufacturers to soften the ride and lower them so they can't go offroad.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My only complaint about the SUVs of today is that too many soccer moms are driving them which leads to manufacturers to soften the ride and lower them so they can't go offroad.

I wouldn't blame the mythical soccer mom for my own preferences in a vehicle. Manufacturers tend to provide products their customers will buy and the vast majority (men and women both!) who buy SUVs desire the large form factor with passenger vehicle comfort and amenities.

tidester, host
    Has anyone had a problem with paint chipping/peeling on the front bumper or with excessive chips on the hood. Mine are both chipped way more than I would figure in 2 years of driving. I had the front bumper repainted when someone backed into it and scratched it up, I wonder if the body shop did anything wrong (this was at least a year ago). It really makes the truck look bad.

Guess I'll drop by the body shop and see what they can do for me.
    Ross1962, you're correct, what I meant is that I prefer the car like ride over the truck like ride. I'm sure you realize cars are a personal thing, like wine. I may like one and you may not. It doesn't mean it is good or bad. Now for the TB to be a truck, I would expect it to last like a truck, you know "Built like a Truck" isn't that Chevy's slogan?. Well, a truck suspension probably wouldn't be loose enough at 25k miles to need a new sway bar and/or links. The front bumper cover on a Truck probably would be fastened well enough to not come loose. I've never heard of another truck whose windshield wiper motor had hydrophobia, that's the fear of water. They seemed to leak and short out, in the rain no less. I suppose if I took the advise of some here and used a rain repellent on the windshield I wouldn't have to worry about it, but I didn't. As for being an off road vehicle, I didn't notice the Rubicon trail rating being applied to the TB. I doubt the TB would be allowed on the trail. Time will tell, but for the time being, I think the Mitsu. Endeavor is a great alternative for anyone else disenchanted with G.M.'s triplets
  • suitedpairsuitedpair Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience trying to fit three car seats (one toddler seat, two infant seats) in the 2nd row of a Trailblazer. I've got a 2002 LTZ and a family addition on the way. Will I be able to fit all three in the 2nd row or do I need to start looking for a car with a 3rd?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    I haven't tried fitting 3 car seats in the back, but I bet you can (depending on what kind of car seats).

We currently have an infant car seat (rear facing) carrier and a booster seat in the back and have plenty of room. We've had a 3rd kid sit inbetween those two (without a car seat) just fine.

The back seat of our Envoy is 6" wider than the rear bench seat of a Ford Freestar van. A friend of ours tried to put 3 car seats in her van and wasn't able to.. she couldn't believe that I had another 6" over her van!
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Well my kit arrived recently and I'm debating if I should install myself or pay the
    $100 to have it installed.
    The instructions make it seem fairly easy once I buy the tools I do not have.
    What it does not specify however is how to position the car relative to the suspension.
    For those who have done this, do I lift the TB by the frame and have the tires off the ground with the suspension hanging?
    I'm asking thinking about the front bushings and rear sway bar.
    How tough is it to break the bolts loose? Truck has gone through 3 winters so far in an area the uses lots of salt. Not sure what to expect???
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Congratulations on your new vehicle ficuss! After having checked in on this forum periodically over the last couple of years, I would say that you were over and beyond patient with the General. I can easily see how you could be excited about driving something different at this point. No doubt about it. Regardless of Mitsubishi's current reputation, you couldn't possibly struggle through as many issues as you've dealt with in the past few years based upon what I have read from you.

All that really matters is that YOU are happy with what you purchased--and it sounds as though you are quite pleased with your choice of vehicle. Best of luck to you ficuss!

Ron M.
  • ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    Twinrotts,

For the most part, the Hotchkis bar self-centers when you install it.....just like the factory bar does. (It doesn't have the cast in stops, but fits/works the same way). I've installed and un-installed one with the vehicle on the ground! - Its actually a bit easier to get the bushing hold-downs on with the vehicle level and supported by the tires or axle.

You just shimmy on under and unblolt the factory unit and manipulate the original bar out and then new one in. Note that it is NOT necessary to remove trailing arm as they indicate in the directions. I simply removed the bushing hold downs, the end-link nuts and just moved the bar around until it was clear. - All with the vehicle on the ground! (I'm 6'2" & 250 lbs and can slide on under no problem)
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I have a 2003 4Runner, and you won't avoid wind noise buying a 4Runner, in fact the 4Runner is louder than my former 1997 Blazer. But the TB is way more comfortable than a 4R. You are right that quality is the main issue-that's why I didn't buy the TrailBlazer. Too many recalls on 2001 and 2002 models as well as endless complaining on this forum. You'd think GM selling 275,000 of these a year is a good thing, but 1/2 of the buyers won't buy GM again for at least a decade if GM doesn't put some quality in their product. My 4Runner ain't perfect, but it turned out to be the better choice in 2003 even though I could have got 0% GM financing, $1400 GM card $, as well as one grand owner loyalty $ toward a TrailBlazer.

Believe it not, I'd still consider either a 4Runner or TrailBlazer today, as I need 4-lo and skidplates for my travels. A pickup is too long and light in the rear for my use. And YES, my former Blazer did get a helluva lot of use out of the skidplates, but I never got stuck with my Chevy's as I did with my Fords. Chevy's and Toyota's have a better 4-lo crawl ratio. Jeeps are a consideration too if their redesigned 05's are better than their prior generation models. Jeep's handling and straight-6 were fantastic, but forum comments about transmission and brake issues, among others, kept it out of consideration for me in 2003. On top of that, there was only (1) Jeep in all of No. Calif. from Bakersfield to the Oregon border at the time that was equipped with an L/S diffy and skidplates, and it was 150 miles away. These were essential options for me that were standard on 4Runners and TB's .
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    01 hoe: I have a 2002 TB with the heated outside mirrors also. Can I order the turn signals from GM or aftermarket? Any idea on cost? Would you happen to know how I would convert what I have? It doesn't look that easy.

From what I have been reading on this forum about the TB, it looks like most of the problems people are having are with the 4 wheel drive TBs. Mine is a 2 WD and I have been very lucky in that I haven't had any major problems. Yes, I have taken it in for the recalls, but haven't had the air noise problem from the luggage rack rails, haven't had any rust problems, haven't had any electrical wiring problems, pretty much a dependable vehicle for me. I did have to have one of the O2 sensors replaced and the original battery started leaking about 18 months after I bought the vehicle in Aug 2001. I can only guess that I have been lucky with this vehicle. I love it!! Guess I got one that was made when all the workers were in a good mood. :D