Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    I believe he'd get the employee discount pricing. :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, everyone gets the Universal Employee Discount this month! (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • talldude1969talldude1969 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2002 Envoy SLT and had the steering rack replaced (under warranty) about 4 months after we bought the car. This week the same symptoms (whining from the steering power pump) showed up again and the dealership just informed me that the steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaced for about $1300. :mad: Has anyone ever had to replace the steering rack on any of their cars let alone twice on the same car?

I'm at a loss for why this would happen twice. We are exclusively city drivers and I do not drive the car hard. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Talldude
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    How many miles on it now and how many since it was replaced? I'd raise holy hell with GM. Obviously there is a problem, and the replacement unit had the same problem as the original. At the very least they should offer you the part for free and you have to pay installation.

GAM
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    everyone gets the Universal Employee Discount this month! (Inside Line)

This is actually a bigger discount than it appears. When I used the employee discount, I had to pay taxes on it because it was an employer provided benefit. This roughly worked out to $500 on my Trailblazer. The general public won't have to pay taxes on this.
  • talldude1969talldude1969 Member Posts: 3
    My Envoy had 6485 miles on it the first time (08.22.02) the entire gear assembly was replaced. Now my Envoy has ~52,000 miles on it. I've had several other cars with higher mileage than that and have never had the steering assembly leak even once. Of the people I've talked to so far today, not one has ever had a problem with the steering assembly. Either I've got the world's worst luck or there's a problem that did not get resolved under warranty.

Talldude
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    The external temp reading 50d is very likely the outside temp sensor located under the hood.
    Had mine replaced last year under warantee with no problems since
  • srqdavesrqdave Member Posts: 4
    GMFAN,

My '02 Envoy does the same thing and in hot, humid South Florida can be almost dangerous.

I found the following info in another topic that is now locked and I can't seem to find it again.

This is a known issue with GM. There is nothing they can do so they don't really acknowledge a fix. There was a TSB issued that essentially admitted the problem. Evidently the problem is that the sensor does not recognize the outer air temperature as high enough for the the condensor unit to come on. Once the vehicle gets moving, it recognizes the excessive OAT and the compressor kicks on.

I tried the fix suggested in the TSB for 'resetting' the sensor and it works !!!! You don't seem to have to do it everytime you start up, but I always do when it is super hot and the vehicle has been left in the sun.

Here goes......With the vehicle on and the AC running, simultaneously push the 'Mode' the 'Front Defrost' and the 'Rear Defrost' buttons. It will take three fingers. they are all right next to each other. While you are holding them for three to five seconds you will see the AC light flashing. When it is done flashing, release the buttons. You should see the EXT TEMP reading rise to the high 90's or over 100. The compressor will kick on and you will feel cold air in a few seconds instead on minutes. Note: You will have to cycle through the 'Mode' to get back to what you want. Also you have to turn off the 'Rear Defrost' that you turned on when you pushed the button.

This worked for me, too bad it took me almost three years to find it out. I have 85K in almost three years and have decided I'm going to keep this one for a while. Had the transmission valve body replaced under my extended warranty at 74K, other than that have not had any problems other than this AC gremlin. ((((Knock on wood))))

Good Luck.
  • ugltrkugltrk Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have a source for urothane bushings for front swaybar to chassis, 2002 Envoy.

Also talked to dealer about rust prob, got the expected runaround,shop mgr. sent me to bodyshop mgr,he refered me to his assistant, he was not aware of 5yr/100K rust through. I am going to take pics of rust, and write a letter to GM customer srevice.

Bill
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Is there a service procedure for tightening the air bag/horn center section on the steering wheel? Mine is loose and vibrates over almost every bump. The dealer claims there is no adjustment.

On a funnier note, my wife got a product catalog from Pontiac the other day. I was reading about their new Miata fighter and in the specs they listed the front roll bar diameter as 26 inches! That's got to be one flimsy chasis if that's what it takes to prevent body roll! Me thinks they meant 26mm diameter. Ooops!

GAM
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    Srqdave, thanks for the info. I will give it a try this afternoon. What about your transmission valve body? What was your vehicle's symptoms? I have 68K miles and I am having the transmission fluid serviced today.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Hotchkis Performance part number 21810113 for the front bar to chassis urethane bushings. They were about $6 ea when I bought a spare set a year ago.
  • aldanaldan Member Posts: 19
    What you guys are seeing is HEM rust, I just got my TB back from the dealer, They brushed it off, surface rust from the doors and hood, caulked very nicely and painted! Looks Great! I also got the car Rust Proofed from Carwell. They said it will never rust as long as a yearly treatment is put on it. My Dealer never gave me a hassle about the rust. West Herr Hamburg NY. I also found mine a month ago on the Spring Cleanup. I do believe that this problem is from moist er getting under the paint at the seem, It is just surface rust not rot or bad welds.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Probably will want to do all four though (front and back) OR, I would get the whole Hotchkis kit. It really improves the handling and is worth every penny.
  • ugltrkugltrk Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the info. I went to the Hotchkis website and they only listed the rear kit w/ swaybar. I have a part # now,and a name to search for.Maybe a local, or a performance dealer will be able to help me, I have the # for the links Moog K6665/K6666 that have grease fittings, and are available local.

Thanks again...Bill

I
    I called Hotchkis parts dep't on the phone to order those. Bushings were not listed seperately on the web site.

The rear urethane bushings will not fit the stock rear sway bar. Hotchkis bar is bigger diameter.
    Srqdave, I tried your trick, but instead of using three fingers, I just pressed the rear defrost putton while the ac is on, and low and behold, the compressor kicks in and I get cooler air quicker! Great tip!!! Maybe try yours the same way and see if that works on yours.

Tblazed - you want to give it a try since we were having the same a/c cooling delay at startup after the vehicle had been sitting in hot sun.

Also, I had the tranny serviced today. I took it to Mr. Transmission and it shifts smooth as butter. Before I had it serviced, I thought it shifted fine, but new fluid and filter makes a noticeable difference. In fact, I don't even feel it shift from first to second...amazing. The mechanic said the fluid looked brownish and I am glad to have it done for $72. I was reading a few posts on the tranny section that some triplets owners have lost transmissions in the 70-85K mile range. To be safe, I had mine done at 68k miles.

-gmfan
  • roberts4roberts4 Member Posts: 8
    I am 36 and only 5'7". I find the belts extremely uncomfortable. Does your method actually increase comfort? Seems like it would still pull and press on collarbone and shoulder. I think the best way to fix this problem would be to install comfort guides on the pillars and thread the belts through them, basically reverting back to the old way of wearing them. I use a grip clip to pinch the belt where it enters the seat on top, leaving an inch or 2 of slack. This way the belt lies loosely on my chest and does not pull on shoulder.
    I have the same problem and have posted several times about it. What does your clip look like, and where do you get it? I use a metal heavy duty metal clip used for stacks of paper, in addition to small wooden dowel. Definitely not the best solution, but I am comfortable now. Wish GM had not switched to this stupid in-seat bealt system. I really hate it. :mad:
    I agree with tblazed that TB's need comfort guides in front seat belts. They are so damn uncomfortable. What type of clips are you using? I think if the position where the belt emerges from top of seat was changed or moved to pillar, it would solve the problem.And the belt is WAY too tight too. GM really screwed up in this area. We are not taking the space shuttle into outer space, just a truck on the road. Let's bring back old comfortable belts please! :mad:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    This must be a state thing as a GM employee I don't pay taxes on the discount, of course in my state I pay the taxes on the purchase price where some states let you take the trade off and then pay on whats left. So all states are different but one thing they have in common at the end of the year if we all add up the taxes we pay on everything it is WAY to much. :cry:
    ====================
    This is actually a bigger discount than it appears. When I used the employee discount, I had to pay taxes on it because it was an employer provided benefit. This roughly worked out to $500 on my Trailblazer. The general public won't have to pay taxes on this.
  • sabotagesabotage Member Posts: 15
    I had my tranny replaced @ 2500 miles, thats right twenty-five hundred miles..... :sick: DRIVES even better @ 3000 miles compared to the first 2499 miles.... :)
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I have the same issue with mine, I have been using a metal spring clip like the black type used for a thick stack of papers. My shoulder is so sore from wearing this thing for 2 1/2 years that even a slack belt irritates my shoulder. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER VEHICLE WITH THIS DESIGN. Someone need to develop an after market fix for this. I like my truck but this is the one thing that will make me make a change.
    Hi all, I have a 2005 TB. Great vehicle with only slight fit and finish problems. Looks great, rides smoothly. My biggest complaint is the front seatbelt comfort. It is horrible. The belt attaches to top of seat at too low a position, and pulls too strongly. It cuts into my collar bone and shoulder and after 2 minutes of using it I would just take it off, immediately getting relief. I fashioned a home-made fix where I attach a metal clip, the kind you use on stack of papers. I took a round wood dowel and rolled it in the belt and then clipped it. This way the clip stays on tightly. I attached this at the location which gives me about an inch or so of slack. It is not a perfect solution because wearing a thick jacket will require moving the clip. Also the belt hangs loosely after you take it off, since the clip prevents it from retracting back into the seat. But it is very comfortable to wear. I do wish GM would have engineered the belts better. The old pillar-mounted system was perfect. My 2002 Blazer has it and it is so comfy I can drive for hours and forget it is there. The TB, about 2 minutes and I feel discomfort. Not good. I complained to dealer and they said they can not tamper with it, obviously for legal reasons...Honestly, if I had known how uncomfortable the belts are, I would not have bought the TB. :mad: Will keep you posted on any news...
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    It has been in the 90's the past few days here in NY and I had the "slow air" problem. I just have an LS with the regular controls. Would I press the rear defroster button when the a/c is on. Also, should the switch be set to vent or defrost in the front. thanks
  • jayk47jayk47 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have come across a 2002 Trailblazer LT.. Leather seats, Fully Loaded etc with only 18000 original miles on it. An old lady is selling it as it used to be her deceased husbands car. Its been garaged for over 2 years and has only been used a few times... Its absolutely like brand new... Problem is im not sure what to offer for it... We were thinking of 15000... It might even have some warranty left on it...Does this sound like a good deal??
  • meberedmebered Member Posts: 4
    purchased a 2005 Trailblazedr EXT and @ 318 5 days later it's in the shop, engine failure. Dealer run-a-round big time, GM claims they will buy it back and I don't know what to expect. Any help about the buyback process, or what to expect from the dealer and manufacture as well as my options going to battle with a company who done 296 billion in revenue last year. I think they should make it "right" with incentives, rebates, and or service. Am I expecting to much or what. Dazed and confused in virginia.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If GM buys it back as they said what more do you want. Give them a break, they stepped up to the plate, but after and only after you get the money tell the dealer to go to hell and you will find another GM dealer to do business with in the future. Things happen, it's a machine built by robots and humans.
    a break? Give me a break GM spends 40k on christmas cards, as a consumer we all expect to get what we pay for and we honor the debts we assume. Given the fact that if you don't make your mortg pay the bank is gonna call. My point is simply this...both the dealer and the manufacture seem to be taking their time with this all the while I'm making payments on something that I had in my driveway for 5 *@!! days. Your advice is well put and had it been what I was looking for it may have had some value. thanks anyway
  • steviestylessteviestyles Member Posts: 1
    membered,

You sound extremely frustrated and rightly so. I don't think anyone would expect a 5 day old vehicle to have an engine crap out. If GM agreed to buy back your trailblazer, you should consider yourself somewhat fortunate. Take a look at the "GM losing millions can they recover" forum. There are many out there who have had similiar problems with their GM products only to be left without any support from GM. I don't know the full circumstance of the issue you have, one of your problems sounds like your left making payments on a vehicle that doesn't run. Well based on the warranty, GM is supposed to provide you with a suitable comparable vehicle while yours is being worked on, talk to your dealer. If they won't help you, go to another dealer. That's the best thing about Chevy and GM is the amount of dealerships. I think many people have the preconceived notion they "HAVE" to go to their purchasing dealer only to get any warranty work done. Second If making the payment is the problem, call GM back and ask them to work with you. I know it may not all work out, but you'd be suprised. For one thing if you talk to the first person and they tell you they can't help you, ask to speak to their supervisor, and keep going up until you get an agreeable solution. I can't say I've been in your exact shoes, but I've had my issues with GM and with a little determination and patience, I was able to resolve the problems I did have. Good Luck
  • blink3blink3 Member Posts: 74
    15k sounds like a fair deal to me. I think you will come out ahead on that deal. You will be very happy with the LT. I have an Envoy, many of the same features of the LT and you just cannot find another vehicle with these types of "bells and whistles", this kind of utility and plushness at this kind of price anywhere else in the market. Get it and enjoy!!!!
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Sounds like a reasonable price. Any remaining warranty will be determined by the date the truck was origionally placed in service. Would have to have been placed in service after 06-12-02 to have any warranty left. Did the origional owner buy an extended warranty that could be transferred?
    If GM claims they will buy it back, go for it. I don't think you can expect much more than that. If GM says it is going to buy it back, where is the battle?

Was this the V-8 or the I-6 engine?
    Many 2002 and 2003 TB and Envoy owners have had to get their fan clutch replaced. Has this problem been corrected, or do the 2004 and newer still have the problem or potential problem?
    "GM claims they will buy it back..."

If GM already said they will buy it back, what more could you want? That sure seems fair to me.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Hey guys im curious this Jet chip for the Tblazer is it a good thing?? I know someone said the stock computer overrides it. Is that true?? and is jet cool for gm autos. Has anyone had it on there Trailblazer??? Seeing i have the Borla on my Trailblazer and Airraid intake im wondering will it do something?? Thanks guys.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    May have a problem with the factory installed trailer wiring harness.
    Found I had no left signal or brake light and no backup lights on the trailer. Swapped bulbs on the trailer.
    Tested the trailers harness for continuity and could not find a problem Then plugged the harness in at the hitch and did not get voltage through he appropriate wires. Then crawled under the bumper with the multi meter and behold, no voltage at the pins that corresponded to those lights.
    Anyone else have one of these go bad? Worked fine last summer. I'm assuming this will be covered under my MajorGaurd
    i opted for the v8. Gm had a new v-8 this year, 2 were GMC envoy models and the other was the trailblazer ext. The technology used on the new v-8 is called D.O.D.(displacement on demand) where at no load conditions the cylinders began to shut down, so what is a v-8 when you need it will also become a 4cly. when you don't. Pretty inventative really. saves on gas and emissions. The tech from detroit says that my trailblazer is the second one in the county to fail.
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    Curious to what most people are seeing on the tach for idle speed. I have been unhappy with A/C and engine temp while driving in traffic. Today had the opportunity to sit at idle for extended time. Mine idles at 500 RPM according to the dash tach. If I held the idle at 650 or so the the A/C performance was noticeably better and the engine temp did not increase.

So, what are people seeing for idle speed on the 5.3 V8? Is there a service manual value or range for idle speed? Can it be easily adjusted by dealer?

Thanks
    Wxman
    Yes, press the rear defroster after/when the a/c is on. Don't mess with the front, just leave it in normal a/c mode. Once satisfied with the air flow, then depress the rear defroster button and enjoy. At least, it works on mine that way. Compliments of another member on the forum. Let us know if this helps yours. The solution sounds a little crude, but it works. I used to have that delay, but even now with humidity here in south in the 70-90% range and temperatues in the eighties, my a/c cools like a champ!

-gmfan
  • noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    I'm trying to find a wire under the rear seat near the fuse box that I can use to power up my subwoofer amplifier.

I've got everything hooked up for the high amperage leads, but there is a low amperage wire used to turn on the amp. It's commonly known as "the blue wire" and it just needs to go to a wire that is hot when the ignition is on, but not during engine cranking.

Used to be able to just slave off the radio hot wire, but afterlooking in the engine bay and under the back seat, I have no way of knowing which wire to use.

Any help please.

Also, anyone know how best to get signals from an xm radio into the Bose system? I'm using the cassette now, and don't get full dynamic range or quality, and the fm modulator is worse.

Thanks again....

Greg, Wichita
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    If you don't have a CD changer built into your radio, you can use a PIE aux input cable from BlitzSafe:

http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_appguide/Blitzsafe_Application_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    Thanks for the response, but I do have the Bose system in my 2002 Bravada with the single cd and cassette.

The application guide pdf ababe has no entries for the 2000-2003 Olds or Chevy.

I'll give them a call.

Greg
    Wichita
  • blink3blink3 Member Posts: 74
    Is the Standard (short) Envoy available with the V-8 yet, or do you still have to get the EXT version to get the V-8? Also, same question, but with the Trailblazer??
    I have the '02 Envoy and have been pretty happy with it, but would like some more power/torque.

Thanks!
    I had my tranny serviced last week at 68K miles on it. Instead of the flush option, I had the tranny pan dropped, cleaned, replaced filter, and added fluid. The shop said the fluid was brownish, but no debris and everything looked fine. I have had the vehicle back for a few days and it shifts a little smoother than before (it shifted smooth beforehand), but I now notice the vehicle is more sluggish. I find myself having to press on the pedal harder to get the vehicle to move. I have checked the fluid level and it is okay, and the shop assures me they put in Dexron III / Mercon. Has anyone else noticed a similar difference when they have had their tranny serviced? Maybe I should have not fooled with the service...if it ain't broke don't fix it! Any help would be appreciated.

-gmfan
  • imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    My understanding is that the Envoy Denali is the only short version of the trips to have a V-8. The TB has only the V-6. The V-8 should be an option in either IMO.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Get the 391 HP Trailblazer SS that is coming this fall. Has the Corvette engine. Can get it in either 2WD or 4WD. That should have enough power!!! Will still be able to tow up to the same capacities as now. Looks pretty sweet too, with 20" wheels and a lowered suspension.
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    Rainier has the V8 in the short WB. And it is a I6 not a V6. SNOKING
    The '05 Envoy SWB is now available with the 5.3L V8 in the Denali level trim.

Advance info on the '06 TB says the 5.3L V8 will be available in SWB in both LS and LT trims. Will still require the Denali pkg in the '06 Envoy SWB to get a V8.
  • mxer1mxer1 Member Posts: 3
    I know the Denali trim! That'll look so nice. Has anyone on here put 20 inch chrome rims on their Trailblazer/ Envoy? Does is handle okay? I mean it's only a 3 inch increase... is there a noticable weight difference? I was thinking of adding 50 horses to take care of the weight difference.