Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• corrinas30corrinas30 Member Posts: 11
    My last post was on July 4th. Had my car in the shop for two days with what ended up being a leak in a front seal on my transfer case.
    Well, here I am about to head back to the dealership with my 02' trailblazer ext.
    My service engine soon light came on last night on my way home from
    a friends. I checked this morning and my light is still on. I did take my gas cap off and re tighten. I know about that. I have 42,000 miles on my trailblazer. Its been
    in the shop on a regular basis since I bought it. Average months in between are 3.
    This has got to be a record! Only 3 weeks.
    Update when I know why my light is on.
  • eaziereazier Member Posts: 5
    Did anyone put any new brakes on yet? OEM or better? Is/would this be a hard task to do?

Thanks,

Shaun
  • allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    Sorry I meant condenser but typed evaporator :confuse:

Allen
  • allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    I have a full set F&R of Raybestos Quite Stop pads. Haven't put them in yet as I still have lots of pad showing at 56,000 miles.

http://www.raybestos.com/usa/brakepads.htm

I run these pads on my Buick Regal GS, there very quite and low dust.

If you know how to change brake pads there is nothing special about our trucks. I would recommend a brake fluid change when you install new pads.

Allen
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    I know we are beating this topic in the ground, but I tried something the other day and it really seems to help reduce the time it takes for the a/c to blow cold air from a few minutes to less than 15 seconds. Try this, before you get to your destination, turn off the a/c, wait a few seconds, then turn off the vehicle. When you crank up the vehicle to leave, wait a few seconds, then turn on the a/c. I have been trying this for a few days and it is consitantly working much better. If it keeps this up, then I can get by without any a/c service work (i.e. new fan clutch or high pressure cutout failure) The hard part is to remember to do this each time ;) I would be curious if this works on others' vehicles.

-gmfan
  • tink1tink1 Member Posts: 3
    Anybody has had problems with tailights on 2004 Chevy Trailblazers?
    I have replaced the light bulbs 3 times and asked the agency to replace the whole part or casing. When I told them I found a recall that the tailights were defective I was told that was only on 2003 models and not mine. The agency said they would replace the whole part but the next day a police officer almost gave me a ticket because he said I failed to indicate I was going to make a left hand turn on a one lane road.
    I've taken my car to the agency twice for that problem and obviously they didn't replace the part.
    Any suggestions on reporting my car as a lemon?
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Why not call the GM customer service 800 number? Do you only have one Chevy dealership in your area? If not, take it to another Chevy dealership. If a part was replaced, it should have been stated so on the repair order. I could be incorrect, but I don't think burnt out tail lamps makes the TB a lemon, yet.
    I have taken my car to two different dealerships close to my house.
    I also called Customer Service and was asked for the last digits on the vin #, I was told the last digits on the vin number of my car are not included on the recall.
    I found the recall on a www.nhtsa.dot.gov, informed Chevrolet and the employee in charge of my car made a comment like if the recalls stated in that website are bogus.
  • cyndiloucyndilou Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 GMC Envoy in May 2005....have already replaced the rear end in it...under warranty thank God...now there's this clicking noise under the hood....when it's sitting only time I notice it so far...it will stop for a few seconds then start again...very annoying loud click...anyone else with this problem??? or know what it is....also the kids have noticed one of the headphone jacks works part of the time....so I guess I'm headed back to the repair shop while I'm under warranty! Thanks for any replies!
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    If you register your vehicle on My GM Link I think it will show what recalls are valid for your VIN. There was a tail light notice on my 03 Envoy that stated there was 6 yr. coverage on the tail lights..... and I've had my replaced as part of the recall. The notice covered 02-04 vehicles.
    Are your bulbs failing or what is the dealer doing when you take it in for service? Replacing the socket assembly or replacing bulbs??
  • isptechisptech Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 Trailblazer that had the exact same noise. I sounded like a bomb ticking waiting to explode. It did that for about 1 month. Yesterday the
    Fan clutch went bad, and the ticking noise went away. If the fan clutch starts
    causing you problems, the engine will sound really loud. I have heard it described as like driving a school bus. Mine seems ok after getting up to 60 mph. The fan clutch repair was quoted to me at $575 at one dealership and $442 at another.

I would definitely get that fixed under warranty

mine is out of warranty :(

good luck..
  • auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    A car dealer (Carmax.com) is showing a 2006 TrailBlazer available for sale with a picture. It has a new front grill, 4.2 liter I6 engine output raised from 275 Torque@3600rpm 275 Horsepower@6000rpm to 277 Torque@4800rpm 291 Horsepower@6000rpm, etc. Check it out.
  • wholtzwholtz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Envoy and the exterior temp was erratic. I went to the parts Dept at the GM dealer and the parts person printed out the location of the sensor and $16.00 and 20 minutes later I installed the sensor. The sensor is located in front of the radiator. You have to remove some sheet metal in front of the radiator and the sensor is easy to see and remove and replace.
  • bayner66bayner66 Member Posts: 1
    Using the TSB information provided by Trailblazed, I took the 04 TB to the dealer for another go at fixing the slow cool down problem I have been trying to get the dealer to fix since last summer.

A new fan clutch was installed per the TSB and some reprograming was done and the problem was fixed.

I used to drive nine stop-and-go blocks to get out of downtown to the freeway and had little cooling until running at a steady speed. Now the A/C starts to cool down as I leave the parking lot and keeps getting cooler. No more compressor shutdown at each stoplight and warm air blowing.

There may be more fan noise but who can hear it over the max cool setting you need to use in the 97F temps in houston.

Bayner 66
    Spring, TX
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Thats great :shades:
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Amid all of the discussion regarding sub-standard A/C and overheating on hot days, I'm pleased to say that on a trip over this past weekend in 105+ degree weather, my '02 TB with the 4.2L I-6 ran like a top, stayed cool under the hood (never over 212 deg.) and cool in the cockpit both while driving hard up the mountains and stuck in traffic with a full load of people, luggage and other gear.
  • immoeimmoe Member Posts: 15
    Upon startup of the vehicle the brakes sometimes fade to the floor.The brakes on my 02 SLT were much better even during driving. The dealer has the vehicle and has contacted GM tech support but so far no fix. Has anyone else had such a problem? Other than the brakes the Denali is a far superior vehicle. Gas consumption is similar to the i-6, 15.2 around town.
  • kagz71kagz71 Member Posts: 12
    I too have complained to my GMC Dealer about the brakes, it is my wife's, but she complained to me that the brake pedal felt odd. SO, the next day I drove it and there was a problem, just as you described. So I took our $41,610 Envoy Denali with 890 miles on it to the dealer and told them I didn't want it back til the brake pedal worked right. They called me after two days and said it was fixed. They tried to tell me that we must just be depressing the brake pedal too hard and said they "adjusted" the brakes and replaced the brake pedal and that "they were able to get it covered under warrantee " Boy did I get HOT, needless to say I will just be taking the Envoy to the Chevy garage where I take my Tahoe!
  • sniknshelbsniknshelb Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just drove home our new 2005 Trailblazer EXT LT 4x5 (v8) yesterday from the dealer. Our dealer is about 30 miles from home, so we were able to get some driving in. On the highway when I reached 60+ mph - you could notice a vibration. Now granted the highways in Michigan are not the best - I was still disappointed with how noticable it was.

My question is - has anyone else noticed this??

It came with "Coninental Contitrac" tires, and I have read some tire reviews that the tires may be the cause??

I don't want to jump the gun, and run right back to the dealer and say I have a problem, but at same time I'm not sure if it isn't one.

It only had 11 miles on the odom at delivery, does the suspension take some time to break in?

This is our first SUV, and we love the Trailblazer, just looking for some helpful insight.

Thanks!

Todd
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Ditto for us. I have the issue with the A/C delay very occasionally, but since I'm aware of it and what causes it I don't give it much thought. Never any problem with overheating even in 120+ degree weather on the Colorado River/Mojave Desert in summer. It pulls the boat better than my Suburban ever did, but the biggest difference is in the ride, which is far superior. My brother-in-law's Tahoe rides like a buckboard compared to it, he does have 20" wheels and low profile tires. Sometimes the suspension is a little soft, but it firms up quickly under load. We had a bad spinout on the interstate last year, which in my opinion was going to cause us to rollover, but it stayed upright and under control. My original warranty is expiring next month, I'm going to extend for 24mo/24K miles.
    Where is the vibration noticed? Seats, accelerator pedal, steering wheel, etc?

Have read some problems with the tires. A road force balance will eliminate any wheel tire problems.

Curious why you did not notice it when test driving before purchase?
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    I've had some of the A/C problems with my '03 Bravada. It has always been a little quirky in hot weather, failing to kick in for several minutes after startup. Occasionally also it wouldn't cool at all and you had to shut down the engine and restart to get it working again.
    Finally, it died, no cooling at all, and the fan wouldn't blow even when switched to the highest setting. The dealer made some repairs which got it working again, but there is still an unusual delay until the cool air starts coming. And on one occasion since the repair it the a/c failed to come on, requiring me to restart the engine.

There is nothing wrong with compressor or fan, but glitches somewhere in the chain of sensors, relays and computers that control the blooming thing. I long for the days when you could just set your A/C "Max" and have it blast. On the upside, I've never had any overheating with my Bravada, even while towing a 4800lbs boat & trailer.
  • sniknshelbsniknshelb Member Posts: 2
    Pretty much all the above...can feel slight vibration in seat, steering wheel.

I've never heard of a "road force balance" - I take it need to take back to gm?

As for why we didn't notice, we had test driven 3 other Trailblazers, 2 of them on the highway before deciding this one that had the amenities we wanted. And of course never took this one out on the highway.
  • gmcmangmcman Member Posts: 30
    Go back to page 1699 thread # 16982 "Ascender vibration" Same exact vehicle as yours...I really hope it is the tires. Keep us posted.
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Tblazed - Thanks for the post. Where did you get your bushings? I have been unable to locate them even with a Google search.
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    I wash the engines in my vehicles all the time using a good degreaser. The newer engines are a lot more water compatible than the older ones used to be. Still, I wouldn't just blast a hose in the engine compartment. Use a light spray and watch what you're hitting and you should be fine. It's also a good idea to start it up right afterwards and let it idle a bit to cook off any water that might tend to seep in where it's not wanted.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Go to www.prothane.com and click on "Where to Buy" in the upper right hand corner. Surely there is a dealer listed that can get them for you. Or call Prothane 1-888-PROTHANE and ask where to buy.
  • motowntblazermotowntblazer Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback wholtz. I'll give it a try. :)
    Road force balancing will identify any wheel or tire that is defective or out of round.
    Some of the larger dealerships have them in house, but the equipment costs about 10K, so availability is scattered. The Hunter GSP 9700 equipment is used.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/index.htm

Could also be from the TB just sitting on the lot for a long time and flat spots developing on the tires. Usually this goes away after driving for a while. Could be drive shaft also, or ???

Several years ago I made the mistake of driving two other new vehicles before choosing a third vehicle that I did not drive before purchase. It was a big mistake. Wind noise was unbearable and dealer shrugged it off. I now drive anything before I buy,
    I also won't buy a vehicle with dealer assurance of fixing a problem relating to vibrations or major mechanical issues. I make the dealer fix before leaving the lot or paying for it.
    I have my trailblazer registered on the GM Link but I haven't received any recall notices yet.
    I know my car is one that must have a recall. I have replaced the lights bulbs like 2 or 3 times and all of a sudden they stop working. I've taken my car to the agency twice and told them of the problem. The first time they didn't do anything and I didn't check it when I picked it up. The second time one of the service managers told me they were going to replace the whole casing. I picked it up and it was ok. The following day one of the light bulbs was out again. I think they are playing games with me and only replacing the sockets.
    With the recall, GM only replaced the sockets and the board the sockets were attached to, as that was the problem.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Even though this is a 2004, it does sound like the same problem I had on my '02. They replaced the circuit boards and bulb. It may help te dealership to know that the service bulliten came out before the recall did. I had mine fixed before the recall under warranty.
  • immoeimmoe Member Posts: 15
    to kagz71: After three dayswith the Denali the brakes are fixed. The dealership with the help of GM tech support used a procedure to bleed the brakes that was computer assisted. What a difference! The Denali stop almost as well as mu 05 Z- 51 Vette. My thanks to the Paul Masse dealership here in RI. I'm leaving for vacation in the morning but if you call 401-762-2300 and ask for Chris the service advisor I know he will tell the repair procedure, Good luck, Moe
  • kagz71kagz71 Member Posts: 12
    Hey, I took the wife's Envoy to the Chevy dealer where I go and they hooked me up with woking brakes in no time, just as you said they had to bleed the brakes and whatnot, thanks for the info!

-KAG
  • zblockerzblocker Member Posts: 1
    Yes, this has happened to me 3 times. Took to dealer and they can not seem to find out what's causing it. Not only do my seats lose memory, the clock and preset radio stations also lose their power. The service repair light also comes on. I'm not sure what the problem is but please let me know if you find out.
  • notfairnotfair Member Posts: 1
    where are you finding the TSB I have to have copies in order to prove that I am having to do alot of homework and searching for solutions that either the dealership or GMC should have access to - I have a hearing with the bbb on monday.
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    I finally broke down and subscribed to infotraxx.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can get the summaries here (Edmunds Maintenance Guide), the NHTSA and at Alldata.com. Summaries are free, but don't say much.

Alldata will sell you the full text of the TSBs too. Looks like Infotraxx is cheaper.

Steve, Host
  • sarkelsarkel Member Posts: 2
    I know someone on here has to know this. OK, I freely admit i know nothing about changing a tire, that 's why i have AAA. WEll, Last week, i got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere (between West VA and PA ) and called my trusty AAA. Well, the person that they sent spent at least 2 hours (at Nite) trying to find the jack. Not only did he not find it (we did find the bars under the back seat) but he also failed to release the spare from under the vehicle.

NOw tha I know that I cannot count on intelligent help from AAA, I really need to know this information for myself (and admittedly should have before).

I read in the manual that perhaps the jack is need to release the secondary latch from the tire? is this true also? do you always need to release the secondary latch with the jack??? I probably sound stupid but please help me anyway as i'm going on another long drive tomorrow and need the info before i go . thanks
    You didn't say which year or model, but on my '03 and presently on my '05 GMC Envoy (both short wheelbase) the jack was / is under the right rear passenger seat. Did you buy used? If so, the jack may be missing when you bought it.
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    They are slow in sending out recall reminders. In fact I only got an inquiry as a result of my asking another question. What you have to do is actually log onto mygmlink and browse around. That's where I found the info, not from them sending me a notice.
    On the other hand, tblazed was having a heck of a time, they were sending multiple notices of recalls he had previoulsy had done.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    A "bottle" jack, wheel wrench, handle and extension parts that lower down the spare, along with the instructions, should all be clipped in their holders under the back seat. The instructions are printed on a plastic sheet and attached to the vehicle with a cord. With the wheel wrench, handle and extension parts that attach together, insert through a hole in the rear bumper fascia (you have to open the lift gate) and engage the "hoist shaft", turn ccw and let down the spare. Unclip the retainer from center of spare tire [non-permissible content removed]'y by hand. A 5 minute job.

If those tools and instructions are not with yours you need to get them from the seller or another source, maybe a salvage yard.
  • blink3blink3 Member Posts: 74
    Glad to see someone stepped up and got the Envoy Denali. Could you give any impressions so far? I like my SLT but wish it had the V-8. Could you tell a big difference and what kind of mileage did you get on your trip? I am avg. now 21+. Just put in a K&N today. Obviously I do lots of Hwy miles. Travel 1000+ miles per week. Been quite happy with my Envoy with almost 50k on it with only the battery problem to mention.

Thanks!
  • kman609kman609 Member Posts: 4
    First of all, a big thank you to the folks here who spent the time to figure out the Trailblazer's fan clutch woes and fixes. As I found out, the dealers in my area have not.

I have an out-of-warranty (46K total miles) '02 Trailblazer LTZ that I brought to the dealer for some recalls--including the PCM upgrade. The car ran perfectly when it went in, then began to overheat in low speed regimes immediately afterward. The AC--which ran perfectly before--also exhibited the same non-function problems after a heat soak you all are having. All this because of the new PCM program.

I took it back to the dealer today asking them to put the old software back in the PCM, cause the car now overheats like crazy during low speed driving with the AC on. He couldn’t do that because it was a recall item. I knew that, but it seemed like a good beginning strategy.

I was armed with some printouts from posts here. At first, the Service Manager blew off the printouts, but after some discussion, he agreed to diagnose the problem w/o charging me. I asked him if the clutch is bad (or incompatible with the new PCM programming) if he would call GM and see if they would cover the replacement cost. I again pointed to all the problems people in the printouts were having, and mentioned GM has reimbursed some of them. I don’t recall if that was true, but lying seemed like the thing to do—Hey, it’s CARS.

Amazingly, he called back a couple hours later saying the clutch tested OK, but the technician recommended it be replaced AND GM AGREED TO PICK UP THE TAB! Woo hoo!

Here's where it gets interesting: I told the Service Manager I had called a couple dealers' Parts Departments (including his), inquiring about the correct part number for the replacement clutch, and they gave me the old-style (10383029) number. I told the parts guys about the TSB and the new part #. They both said that part number (for the new style) was a clutch all right, but it didn’t show what car it was for and that they didn’t stock them. I asked the Service manager to look up the TSB I showed him this morning (the one he blew off) and sure enough, it says to use the new clutch, #15293048, that is now standard on vehicles made after June, 2005.

They had to order the updated clutch (it’ll be here tomorrow), but I'd rather wait than have an old style (what they stock and are still installing :surprise: ) put on. Pretty scary that two out of two dealers I called would have put the OLD style clutch back on.

Anyways, thanks for doing the heavy lifting on this issue, and thank you GM for stepping up.

Will let you know how the new fan works out.

Kurt
    I can't speak for immoe, btw I think he said he was leaving for vacation. I am very pleased with my '05 Envoy Denali (SWB) I had an '03 Envoy SLT previously, and I can say the '05 is truly an upgrade. The seats are better, truck is quieter and the 5.3L engine is something I think GMC should have offered as an option for the SWB since day one. Every time I hit the accelerator a bit, I tell myself that the '03 would not perform this well. Since I only have 900 miles on truck, and most in town driving so far, I am getting 15 mpg. When this engine loosens up a bit, it will be awesome. :D
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know if the warranty for Onstar is different than the rest of the vehicle? Found out after paying for service for 3 years for the safety features I thought were there are not because of a problem on board my vehicle...probably never has worked? TB is 4 years old with 51K miles, dealer tells me warranty is probably only good for 3 years 36K miles.

Not real happy with Onstar service now... anyone have any ideas?

thanks
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Made an appointment to get the wife's Envoy SLT in to have the "fan clutch" TSB done (because her Envoy doesn't blow any cool air for at least the first 2-3 minutes of A/C operation). Faxed them the TSB description from this board, and asked them to order the part, so that they could apply the fix once I demonstrate the problem.

They refused, insisting that I needed to demonstrate the problem for them, then they would order the part, and I'd have to bring it back in.

I think I'm finding a new dealer... when the vehicle was new, I complained to the service manager (who I was dealing with on my GTO problems, since resolved by a new car) about the rough idle of my wife's Envoy... without seeing the truck, he tells me "my wife has one, they all do that". Less than a week later, the Envoy was on a flatbed to the dealership (SES light flashing)... cracked spark plug from the factory.

*sigh*

Wish I knew why dealerships played these games,

--Robert
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I doubt any dealer will just order a part without first seeing the vehicle as if they did they would be swamped with parts they will never use. If you are so sure this is the fix than you order the part so it is on hand and if that is what is needed they can install it under warranty. If they can fix it without that part then you won't mind paying for it. :shades:
    The fan clutch is a common part. Strange why they wouldn't order for you. Dealerships have no concerns about customers time. They think nothing of having a vehicle come in, then find they have to order parts and customer has to return to have installed. Often have to go back again, as repair was not completed to customer satisfaction.
    Also seems a lot of dealers don't like a TSB put in their face. They would rather a technician fumble around with diagnostics (that they charge for) and maybe come up with the correct fix. Service depts should listen more to their customers, afterall it is the customers vehicle being repaired.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    01_hoe - you are right on. If a dealer puts their financial interests above their customers, then the dealer should be subject to a fine. Some professionals, including myself, take an oath and we are to abide by "reasonable man" ethical conduct, and we would be subject to fines or loose our license if we ever put our financial interest above our clients. The whole dealership service experience is a scam and a racket. I wish I could review some statistics that show the income breakdown for dealers between cars sold and service departmental income. I would imagine the later contributes to 85% of their income, if not more. I have great respect for the certified mechanic, but the service rep at my dealership is now a joke...they used to be good, but of course, employee turnover became a problem. The evasive service repUnfortunately for GM or any car manufacturers, if the dealership is poor, then the OVERALL experience is poor.