Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    The Endeavor is a nice looking vehicle, and it drives truly wonderfully. It doesn't have the truck capabilities of the triplets (really quintuplits now), nor many of the available features and accessories- although Mits did a real nice job with this one. It would be on my consideration list, if it weren't for the really truly ugly center console and lack of available Nav. (I admit- there's no accounting for taste and I hope others enjoy the look)

The fact that the TB has been around twice as long as the Endeavor may have somethign to do with the complaint number difference. The fact that ficuss is on this list may also have something else to do with the numbers, as so many responses here are counterpointing his posts. There may also be a sociographic difference between TB buyers and Endeavor buyers. One may be much more likely to participate in web forums on their automobiles. There would be a strong social correlation between how enthusiastic they are with their purchase and their interest in participating in on-line forums. If the typical purchaser of an Endeavor sees their vehicle as more utilitarian rather than have a passion for it, they would be less likely to participate here- for instance. The more complex a vehicle, the more likely there will be problems- this is almost a complete truism. A good example of this would be the Touareg. A fiercly complex (and magnificent) vehicle with mediocre reliability. But most of the things that go wrong with it, other cars don't even have! (If it only had the TB's 4.2L V6).
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    "The more complex a vehicle, the more likely there will be problems- this is almost a complete truism"
    You couldn't be more accurate if you tried. The big difference between a proven complex design and the Tripletts is that the reliable complex design is de-bugged before it is thrust upon the public. The Tripletts could have instilled driving passion in me as well as many others were it not for the never ending barrage of service problems. The endless recalls and tsb's. From the VERY beginning with major suspension failures until now with the cooling fans the Tripletts have cooled those passions.
    You're correct, the Tripletts have been around 2 more years than the Endeavors, and this will account for many of the posts. Responses to my posts have generated many replies, some have agreed some haven't. This is the point of having a discussion, to get feedback. We are not a bunch of lemmings. I am 55 years old and the TB had been the worst car I have ever owned to date. My parents 1959 Rambler was more reliable. As far as being more or less utilitarian, I don't get it. Is the TB more utilitarian with it's towing capability and truck like characteristics or is the Endeavor more utilitarian because of its' more car like ride and comfort?
    Finally, what good are technology and gizmos when you are on the back of a flatbed tow truck.
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    Just replaced mine last night.

You must first remove the entire front grill filler panel. This is the horizontal front wrap around that goes from the center of one headlight lens to the center of the other headlight lens. This part unsnaps at ten locations. Four on the top, two on each side under the top part of the headlight lens's, and two on the bottom edge. After removing the grill, find two pull up tabs on the top surface of the lens containing the burnt out bulb. One is under the fender lip and the other is along the top of the lens toward the radiator. Lift the two pull tabs. Now you can remove the lens enough so you can pry open the approx. 3 inch cover behind the bad bulb. Twist the bulb socket counterclockwise, remove bulb and socket from lens, and remove wiring plug from socket. It's not hard to do, it just takes some figuring out the first time. As a rule I don't like to force open anything, but these snaps are just as the name implies, a snap.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    Here is a link the Endeavor is being recalled :surprise: http://motorway.chicoer.com/Stories/0,1413,310~32290~2745020,00.html

"Mitsubishi Motors Corp. is recalling 65,436 Endeavor sport utility vehicles because the parking brake may not work correctly.

The recall affects Endeavors from the 2004 and 2005 model years. NHTSA said a nut in the braking system may not be tightened properly, so the vehicle could roll if it is parked on a slope and the transmission isn't in "park.""

Looks like recalls affect all vehicles on the road.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    WHAT! the great Mitsubishi Motors Corp is having a recall. Oh my god, holy Trail Blazer. I thought that was the greatest vehicle ever produces, at least that is what I heard here. :lemon: :lemon: :P :P
  • imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    I was always told growing up to never buy a Chevrolet in the first three years of production. GM, IMO, works out the bugs in their vehicles in the first few years of production instead of doing it in pre-production. Almost all of these complaints come from 2002 & 2003 model years. The Endeavor is a newer vehicle, so comparing the number of posts complaining on the vehicle is like comparing apples to oranges. It just can't be done.

ficuss, just happened to have bad luck with his TB's. I have always had bad luck with Chrysler products. Does that mean they are a horrible company? No, it just means it is not in the cards for me to buy from them. I love my TB. Yes, I have had a tail light recall and the fan clutch might be an issue to, but my dealer has been great and very co-operative with repairs. If I had the choice between any SUV and my 2004 TB, the Toyota Sequoia would be the only winner. That is only because I like the looks of it better as does my wife. I don't care what you tell me about quality. If the vehicle is not appealing, I am not going to buy it. I love the TB.

A lot of these posts are extreme as well for complaints. Some people expect these SUV's to drive like sports cars, and they are not designed to do that. It is a family vehicle and towing machine. Plain and simple. It might not be the best off road vehicle out there, it may have wind noise, and it may have a few quirks, but the triplets are for the soccer Moms who haul their kids to and from school. Every vehicle has issues. You could name any car or truck or SUV, and I could find someone complaining about it on the web.

This forum lets me learn about items that might be issues on my vehicle. I want to know about them, so I can get them repaired before my warranty ends. So far, there has been only two issues that stand out for me. The tail lights, which have a recall, and the fan clutch for the A/C. The latter issue seems to have been resolved by the TSB that has been posted here. Yea, it sucks for those out of warranty, but for me, this board is a God send.

I am a Chevrolet (GM) loyalist. My family has had way to many good cars from them to not be. So, if you are coming here to pimp some other SUV and tout that the TB sucks, I disagree. I do agree that the TB had issues, but the majority of those are fixed. I'd put my 2004 EXT against any SUV from the same year, and let's see which vehicle last longer. My money is on my Chevy.
  • wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    Outside temp sensor; Mine went bad as well...showing 50d. I saw this post and decided to get one and replace it. I called the local dealer on part price (always amazed at how pricing can vary dealer to dealer), and I tried to get a little addtnl info on replacing the part...but apparently they were 'too busy' to take 2 min to give me any other info.
    Facing the engine bay from the front, is it located left, middle, or right ? Is any 'special tool' needed for bolts or screws in the removal/replacement process (you mention about removing sheet metal??) Thanks much.
    Just for kicks, I read some of the posts on the Endeavor forum. Since 1/05 the following has been discussed.

Warm Air from vents (Sound familiar?)
    Radiator leak after only 300 miles
    Lift gate issue
    Gear Oil leak/Powertrain noise
    Wind Noise (Sound familiar?)

Mitsu vehicles have their problems to. You should always read up on a vehicle before buying it. I always hesitate to buy a first or second year model, because there is no feedback from consumers out there as to how the vehicle performs and what issues it has. My advice is to check out as many vehicle forums as you can before buying any car/truck/suv. It will help you make a sound decision on what you may or may not be getting yourself into.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Thanks for repeating what I said at post 5529
  • wholtzwholtz Member Posts: 2
    No special tools needed, quarter inch drive sockets will do. On the Envoy there is a couple of snap in fasteners and without looking about 4 quarter inch screws. Remove the sheet metal in front, top of the radiator and the sensor is right behind the hood latch. You will see some wires going to it. The sensor and it's holder snap into a recess hole. It is not the easiest to see and remove, but if you study it some you will figure out how to remove and replace.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    I have replaced 2 sets of bulbs in my 202 TB, never removed the grille took about 10 minutes total for both. To add to fuel about the TB's overall issues, the recalls and numerous tsb's for sure are more than most avg new vehicles, but for 60k it has driven reliably, handled great with the Hotchkiss kit , pulled my boat and gets 17.5 to 20.5 mpg. All this said, there have been more than the expected issues in the 1st 3yrs of ownership and this is from a retired Cadillac factory employee.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    This is by far the most expensive vehicle I have owned. It's also by far the most
    troublesome. I expected more. Way more. Maybe I'm in the minority, but it will leave a bad taste in my mouth for years. I can't expect those of you with good ones to understand because yours are relatively trouble free. A 2 year old vehicle should not be rusting. The sway bar links should last more than 24K miles. The clutch fan shouldn't take 3+ years to figure out. Tail/brake lights and turn signals
    were perfected many years ago. No complaints about the engine/tranny though.
    Like I said, I expected more.

Of course people with problems will dominate this board. they are looking for solutions. Those w/o problems have no reason to post in most cases. Unless you want "Like, omygod, I drove the kids to the park last night. It was raining. Good thing I had 4 wheel drive or I would have been in the ditch for sure! This truck makes me feel so secure that I could answer my cell phone and dish out Cokes to the kids at the same time!"

Greg
  • walk4walk4 Member Posts: 9
    I have 2002 TB LS with 44K miles. In last few weeks I had few times DTC P0305 (cylinder 5 misfire) and MIL with 40 to 70% load in close loop. I changed the spark plugs and the ignition coil . Added 2 times Techron cleaner to fuel tank. No help. Yesterday I got 2 DTC codes first P0305 and 2nd P0171. I researched forums and GM tech link.
    I had professionally fuel injection cleaning 8K miles ago and I changed air and fuel filters at that time.
    The P0171 would suggest the MAF sensor dirty or manifold leak. Also it is possible that the O2 sensor is getting bad.
    However I think it is the injector that got dirty or sticky (rust?).
    Checking fuel pressure and injectors balancing would be the next step. I read about it but never done it.
    Any suggestions what else I could do?
    Has anyone had similar problems and if so how they were fixed?
    Thanks,
    Walk4
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    A friend of mine is interested in getting one of these. All I could say was run away...run away...my experience/knowledge regarding the triplets was from the original build where they had all those recalls etc.

Did I give bad advice? Has GM turned it around with these vehicles? Would advising someone to go ahead with getting one of these vs. say a 4runner be bad advice?

Thanks in advance...
    JD Power rated the Envoy in the top three for quality. I think that says something right there. The TB rated high as well. I believe the 2002 & 2003 model years of the triplets had issues. GM, IMO, has worked a lot of the bugs out. No one can argue that the 6 cylinder engine they put in these is one of the best built engines ever. The drivetrain is good, and the vehicle looks awesome, especially the Denali. It should be cheaper than the 4Runner, but I would have your friend drive both. The 4Runner is a quality SUV and there is no denying it, but to tell someone to run away from the triplets, I think that is bad advice. Just my 2 cents.
    Do you feel the misfire/roughness? 171 points to excess o2 in the exh stream to the point the pcm cannot compensate for it in the lt fuel trim. If you have eliminated ign misfire, sounds like an injector. Low fuel pressure to the point of misfire would reduce overall power and most likely set a random misfire code as all cylinders would be affected. If possible you could move inj. 5 to another cyl. see if the misfire code moves.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    There is no "MAF" on these with the 4.2 I6- they use a computer algorithm to calculate air density from the intake air temperature sensor. Seems like if an injector ( or spark plug or coil) was not working it would have a very bad vibration with one cylinder not firing. I have read of several that have had to replace the O2 sensor ahead of the cat converter. Seems those get fouled sometimes before 44k miles. As far as swapping around injectors, too much has to be disassembled to make that practical including removing the intake manifold, PCM, and other stuff in the way to get the fuel rail assembly with the 6 injectors out.
    He has to to something here to pin down the problem, every thing you point out is true. Usually the o2 would set a seperate defined code. Anyway, if he could get a bi directional scanner he could do an injector balance test, this may help point him to the problem or away from the injectors based on the results. Tough to help out here in the online environment, not hands on.
    Thanks tblazed and dshepherd3 for your replay. There are good suggestions.
    There is no MAF in the TB. Today I got again the MIL with P0305.
    It is happening when the engine is warming during my first 2 minutes of driving.
    My O2 sensor was replaced at 34K.
    Getting those infectors is not few minutes job and if I would decide to do it I will have all of them clean and check (rebalance).
    GM in last few years is advertising 3 step maintenance induction cleaning and I read few paragraphs on cleaning with GM top engine cleaner that supposed to be very effective.
    Today I tried to test the resistance on the injector harness connector, but I could not get conclusive reading on my analog device - have to buy digital.
    Today I tried to get my engine rpm pass 4000 with shift lever set in park and I could not do it. I think this possibly could indicate O2 problems.
    It looks like I would have to got to the basic – test the resistance on the injector harness connector, fuel pressure, Multec 2 injectors balance and O2 sensor. I’ve never done it before but there is always someday a first time.
    Would anybody have a suggestions or comments regarding my problem.
    Thanks,
    Walk4
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Had an '03 Envoy SLT SWB. Now have an '05 Denali SWB. Great truck. Good power, handles great, no regrets or problems. Have had 6 Toyotas previously (all cars) and some were better than others.
    Today I tried to get my engine rpm pass 4000 with shift lever set in park and I could not do it. I think this possibly could indicate O2 problems.

Not a problem - when in P or N they are all limited to not rev above about 4,000 RPM.
    Like I said an injector balance test with a scanner will test the injectors fairly well, again do you feel a miss that would coincide with the code? By the way the pcm will not let the engine go above 4k in N to protect the engine.
  • stephen9stephen9 Member Posts: 6
    I'm reposting two messages from 8/13 to see if I will get any replies. Thank you.

1) The rear door exterior handles on my 2003 Envoy XL sometimes won't open the doors. My dealer tells me this is common and there is no fix. They tell me to pull up on the end of the handle instead of the middle. This does improve the performance but still I have to apply a lot of upward force to get the door to open. Has anyone else experienced this?

2)I have over 80,000 miles on my 2003 Envoy XL. I have never reset the average fuel economy meter. After a weekend of around town city driving the average will drop to around 17. After a 100 mile highway trip the average will go up to 21 or higher. You would think the average would not fluctuate so much with such a base of miles if it is averaging from day one. I don't think this is the case because a limited amount of miles has such an effect on the overall average. According to the manual, if you don't reset the meter, the average is calculated from the last time it was reset. Does anyone know how the average MPG meter really works? Is it just averaging from the recent past; like the last X amount of miles?
    I replaced the outside air temp sensor today...and....the display still shows
    50 degrees !! Augh.
    I shut off vehicle, restarted, shut off hvac system, restarted...let truck run for awhile to see if it would adjust itself...no difference. Is there something that needs to be reset after changing out that sensor ?
    Thanks.
    Thanks again tblazed and dshepherd3 for the info.
    The engine is just a bit rough and shaky at the first 3 minutes and after that no problems. I do not feel any misfire.
    I wish I could have Tech 2 scanner to check the balance, unfortunately this baby is just too much.
    Would anyone have a suggestion for good fuel injection test tools that are reasonable in price and where I can buy them?
    Thanks,
    Walk4
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    P0171 is set when the PCM detects an excessively lean condition with possible causes listed as air leaks in a variety of locations and fuel contamination such as alcohol and water. In particular water was mentioned as being able to cause a lean condition in a single cylinder if it has accumulated in a low spot in the fuel rail.
    Also low fuel pressure was listed as a possible reason to set this DTC.
    There is no "MAF" on these with the 4.2 I6-

Starting with the 2006 4200 I6, they get a MAF sensor. Seems GM Powertrain has been doing a little tweaking... the new 291 HP spec isn't just juggling the numbers for the new SAE rating method (which for 2006 has caused most of the imports to reduce their exaggerated power claims).

VORTEC 4200 4.2L I-6 (LL8)
    2006 model year summary

• Increased horsepower and torque outputs
    • Higher 10.3:1 compression ratio
    • Improved air flow
    • Mass air flow sensor
    • Improved A.I.R. system
    • Improved ignition coils
    • Piston rod squirters

Among other changes...

The Vortec 4200’s compression ratio increased to 10.3:1

Improved performance from increased airflow into and through the engine.A larger (38.7 mm) intake valve and larger (33.5 mm) exhaust valve allow more air to flow through, and the camshaft also provides more lift to allow the valves to stay open longer.

Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (replacing a previous speed density fuel control system) more accurately measures air flow into the engine, eliminating variability in a number of conditions including changes in altitude and temperature, and allows more precise fuel and spark response. The MAF is lightweight and has a modular design, using an integrated intake air temperature sensor.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Wow. Very cool. The best 6 cylinder SUV engine is getting better. Now can we get it with displacement on demand? :)

Any other significant Trailblazer/Envoy changes for '06?
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    My 2002 TB EXT suffers from the occasional difficult to open rear doors.
    I FIND THAT YOU NEED TO LIFT THE HANDLES A BIT HIGHER THAN YOU MIGHT EXPECT> its usually my kids that can"t open the doors but i can every time>
    A more annoying issue is when the doors fail to unlock with the auto unlock feature
  • stephen9stephen9 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised no one else on this board is experiencing the hard to open rear doors. My dealer says it's common.

What is your opinion on the average MPG meter? Mine fluctuates widely even though it's never been reset in over 80,000 miles.
    Nevermind ! It is working now! Wow, talk about a slow sensor/computer. After I had installed the new sensor I had the truck running for about 10min while I was trying everything to get it to work. I used the truck that night on about a 15min ride to the store and all of a sudden it began to work (it climbed from 50d incrementally up to the current outside temp of about 80). Seems ok so far, but noticed that the new sensor seems to adjust a bit more slowly to the outside temperature changes than it did originally.
    Yes, I have the same vehicle (03 XL) and have the same door handle problem. Mine is only on the driver side rear door. I found that holding it to the back-side (to the rear of the vehicle) and lifting sharply/quickly gets it open....8 out of 10 times that is. Sometimes it just plain doesn't work and have to open it from the inside. The kids can never get the knack to open it (as the other postee described as well).
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    What is your opinion on the average MPG meter? Mine fluctuates widely even though it's never been reset in over 80,000 miles.

Those trip computers were never intended to go that long without reset. They are made to reset each filling of the gas tank. Mine justs a lot the first 50 to 75 miles if I am in town and pooring the power to it all the time. If I baby it, I don't see that problem. Now on the institanious readout of MPG it is jumping all over the place as you speed up or coast. Just reset it each fillup and see how it goes. By the end of the tank it should be very close to what you would get if you do the math yourself. As a matter of fact the few times I checked it myself the computer was less than I figured by hand. I think part of that is I can't measure exactly how much gas I put in as gas station pumps vary. Also think the factory errors on the safe side so if you do the math yourself you will get a little better. :shades:
    Here's some info from the service manual that will explain the apparent slow response, and also how to override the "filter" delay and update the temp display from the HVAC control panel...

The ambient air temperature sensor mounts underhood and can be affected by city traffic, by idling, and by restarting a hot engine. Therefore, the HVAC control module filters the value of the ambient air temperature sensor for temperature display. The ambient air temperature value is updated under the following conditions:

Condition- Display

At start up with the engine off less than 2 hours- Displays last stored temperature

At start up with the engine off more than 2 hours- Displays real-time temperature

Engine coolant temperature is less than 28°C (50°F) above the ambient air temperature- Displays real-time temperature

Vehicle speed above 32 km/h (20 mph) for a minimum of 80 seconds- Displays real-time temperature

Vehicle speed above 72 km/h (45 mph)- Displays real-time temperature

Sensor reading is less than the last displayed value- Displays real-time temperature

To update the ambient air temperature display on the HVAC control module, perform the following procedure:

1- Turn ON the ignition.
    2.-Simultaneously press the MODE, FRONT DEFROST and REAR DEFROST switches.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Now can we get it with displacement on demand?

I can't even imagine how that could be done on an inline 6. And I wouldn't want it anyway.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is hoping to hear from residents of Southeast Michigan who fit either of the following descriptions:
    - feel as if the cost of gasoline is significantly driving up their commuting costs (no pun intended)
    - have been impressed with their vehicles' gas mileage

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, August 25, 2005 with your daytime contact info, year/make/model of vehicle, city of residence and city of employment.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thank you for the service manual info tblazed, appreciate it. :)
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Jay 24 -
    Where do you get vehicle sales numbers? I've been looking for them everywhere, but it seems you have to subscribe to an expensive service like Ward's to get them. No?
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Tblazed - You da man! I am always amazed and impressed with your knowledge. It is spot on. What the heck do you do for a living? Auto engineer? In any event, good job. My hat's off to you.

Interesting list of changes for 06. Why do you think they would need "piston rod squirters?" And won't 10.3 to 1 compression ratio require premium fuel?

Another question ... any idea whether the bigger front sway bar on the Saab 9-7X will fit the Trailblazer/Envoy?
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Somebody had posted this link over in the subaru crew.
    marketing report for car and truck sales

Pick sedan, truck, SUV (etc...)
    Then select the "sales volume" link to show the numbers

--jay
    Thanks, Raliegh!

As per the 4200 I6 summary of changes for 2006...

"Piston rod oil squirters-
    The piston, inside the cylinder bore of the engine block, transfers energy through the connecting rod to the crankshaft. For improved durability and quietness the piston rod is now drilled with a tiny (less than 1/8th mm) hole, which allows oil to be sprayed on the cylinder wall, providing a cushioning layer on the sides of the piston which rides on the film of oil. The oil is originally pumped into the crankshaft, whose journals have cross-drilled holes. As the crankshaft rotates, pumping oil through the journals, the oil is fed from the journals through the piston rod bearing into the piston rod itself. Its open orifice then allows the oil to be sprayed into the cylinder wall."

"Increased compression ratio-
    The Vortec 4200’s compression ratio increased to 10.3:1 as a result of changes to its piston profile, which lowered the volume in the combustion chamber. Even with its higher compression ratio, the engine continues to maximize fuel economy by allowing customers to use regular-grade fuel."

"10.3:1 compression ratio delivers the seemingly incompatible benefits of high compression and regular-grade fuel"

Pretty amazing what they can do with electronics to control things like cam and spark timing, and fuel delivery, and make a 10.3:1 compression engine operate on regular gas with no problems!

Don't know about the Saab front bar... have to take a look at one sometime to see if it is mounted different or ?? Probably with the correct mounting brackets and bushings, and whatever else is different, it could be retrofitted. In 2004 GM did change the front bar size and attachment to the chassis on the TB/Envoys.
  • campc01campc01 Member Posts: 1
    my engine knocks bad when cold but goes away when the engine warms up and also the exhaust seams to have a bad smell coming out at highway speeds. the dealer did a fuel injection cleaning but that did not fix the problem what might fix this problem. :sick:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter would like to hear from consumers who have recently had trouble selling their gas-guzzlers for a decent price. If you have a story to share, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info, city/state of residence and the make/model in question no later than Monday, August 29, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

See message number 17215 to see what GM s doing about this on the next generation engine, but don't worry about the noise. It's a common issue in many GM and Toyota engines called "piston slap". It does not affect durability, or performance.
    As for the smell, it sounds like what I get on long, steep grades and that is nomal as well UNLESS it's something like leaked oil, or aother fluids burning off your engine, or exhaust manifold.
    A reporter would like to hear from consumers who have recently had trouble selling their gas-guzzlers for a decent price.

I don't know what constitutes a "gas guzzler", but I wouldn't put the triplettes in that catagory.
    TBLAZED, as usual great info and research on your part. One addtitional comment on the compression issue. The all aluminum engine, in particular the heads, allow for significantly higher cr's while still running on regular, the issue of aluminum allowing greater heat dissipation contributes to the ability to run 10.3:1 as well as, of course, cam profile, timing and mixture curve refinements.
  • kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    I'm planning on replacing the plugs on my 02 Envoy this weekend. Anybody have any tips, shortcuts or cautions? Do I have to disconnect the battery? Any kind of anti-seize needed? Any precautions needed for the coils? Questions....questions...questions.
    Pretty easy really. No need to disconnect the battery. Take of the air intake and resonator box to get to the coils, unplug the connector at each coil which may be tricky the first time you do it. You have to slide the gray plastic connector retainer up, then press the connector in the middle to get it to release. Start with the front #1 which was the most difficult for me because of a front wiring harness in the way. I unhooked the harness holder and moved it forward a little to get the coil out. Definitely get some anti-seize compound to put on the threads since the plugs thread into aluminum. Use a torque wrench when you put in the new plugs. That's about it.
    01 "my engine knocks bad when cold .."

I read few articles/discussions that decarbonizing using GM top engine cleaner was very effective in eliminating engine knocks. I've never done it myself. I read that this stuff is nasty and they were using it in a spray or can.
    Also I found that the GM top engine cleaner when mixed 5 to 10% with gasoline can be used to clean injectors with special fuel injection canister tool. It supposed to be very effective.
    Check http://www.gmtechlink.com/
    Walk4
    Look for loose or corroded battery terminals and/or main ground connections. Some ignition switches have been problematic also, but usually you loose the accessories as well.