Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• rdisprdisp Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing, dealer found several body clips were missing. Were replaced before warranty ran out.
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    DETROIT - General Motors said on Friday that it was recalling nearly 106,000 sport utility vehicles in the United States and Canada to fix a rear door latch that may not close properly due to corrosion.

Alan Adler, a spokesman for the world's largest automaker, said the 105,893 vehicles affected by the potential safety defect included Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT and GMC Envoy XL SUVs from the 2002-2003 model years.

He said one alleged injury had been caused by the faulty door latch.

A small number of 2003 model Isuzu Ascender SUVs are also affected, Adler said. GM builds the Ascender for Isuzu Motors Ltd.

A total of about 98,000 of the recalled vehicles were registered or sold in Northeast and Midwest U.S. states, where corrosion can occur due to winter road salt.

An estimated 7,893 vehicles sold in eastern Canada are also affected, Adler said.
  • aldanaldan Member Posts: 19
    the 2007 model will have independent rear, kind of like the Ford Exploder, not sure if I would like this? I believe The TB's will take a hit in Towing Cap.
  • pjsmithpjsmith Member Posts: 2
    BE CAREFUL OF THINKING IT IS THE DRIVE SHAFT. I had these same symptoms, and my cousin, who is an experienced auto mechanic opined that it was the universal coupling/drive shaft. He came to pick up the truck to take to his shop to replace the thing and wouldn't you know it...the tranny died. Turns out the clunk was from within the transmission and was some sort of sun gear or star gear or something. A quick Google, and I discover that this is a known defect in these transmissions and has since been replaced (mine was an '02 too). $1800 later and I have a rebuilt tranny that's not quite the same as it used to be. Have this checked out before the tranny dies, as I understand that there is a lot less to fix if you catch it in time.

Just my $.02.
  • 02envoyowner02envoyowner Member Posts: 24
    Hi: I am very interested in this as my 02 Envoy also has the surge/clunk (worse in cold weather). My dealer cannot fix it. I have a case open w/ GM. However, I was told that "an open case" just means the dealer submitted the complaint, and it may or may not be addressed. Would you please post more information about your google search and any additional info that I can use to support the fix? I hate the surge/clunk. :cry: Thanks-
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Help! The passenger side door mirror on my 2002 Envoy had a collision with the side of the garage door opening. It folded back as it is supposed to, but the amber plastic turn signal assembly on the bottom side of the mirror was damaged. I need to replace only the amber part of the passenger mirror. I cannot find a part number. Anyone out there know what it is or can tell me where to look so I can order a new one?

Thanks!
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Lens numbers are 88944062 and 88944063 depending on R or L
    Thanks dor the info! I appreciate it. :)
  • px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    I hope GM is not serious about having suspension engineers performing complex suspension design work with pencils and paper. Having the commercial done in front of a CAD workstation is just as easy. Not sure what GM marketing folks were thinking???
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    I understand the the new SAAB is fundamentally a trailblazer - with a few nice SAAB like do dahs in the interior, but a significantly more sport car like suspension system. You might look into one.

- WPK
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I wondering i am gettting alot of boom in the rear of my 03 tblazer i am feeling the bumps. Now i do have 68k on it is it time for new springs and shocks or stabalizer link? I want the same ride i got when i bought it can i get it or what do i need to do. There is no leaking in either shock but it sound pretty bad and it rides bad. So what do you all think bilstein or someone else. Will the dealer replace the coil springs? they are covered under gmpp thanks.
  • jamisonsjamisons Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know why the edmunds pricing engine is reporting $10,000 in incentives/rebates for '05 Trailblazers? When you click on the link for more information, only $5500 worth (+ add'l $500 if military) are listed. I've called around to a few local dealers in Houston but, of course, they laughed. I also noticed a similar situation with Tahoes - rebates of $13,000 listed but only $6500 in the information. Anyone know what's going on?! Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good question Jamisons. I'm not sure why the TMV pricing has $10,000 for the incentives & rebates. I'll ask around, but it'll be early next week before I hear anything.

$19,354 for a 4WD LT Trailblazer with no options does sound too good to be true. :shades:

Are there still plenty of '05's on the lots there? I thought the employee pricing sales soaked up most of the inventory.

Steve, Host
  • mike7311mike7311 Member Posts: 3
    I was just reading through this thread and I have an answer for your flickering issue. Unfortunately, there is no way to correct it. GM has a voltage regulator on the alternator which doesn't adjust voltage gradually, but by abrupt shifts up or down to keep it nominal. This flickering is a byproduct of this process. This is noticed on many GM models, but no all, strangely.
    :lemon:
  • mike7311mike7311 Member Posts: 3
    This is my second time answering this question, GM voltage regulators which are located on the alternator are not precision pieces of equipment. Instead of adjusting voltage gradually they adjust quickly up and down to keepvoltage nominal, thus causing the lights to flicker. This problem is known with no remedy because it is a design issue. It shouldn't cause any problems, but it does eventually burn out the regulator if you add any extra electrical load to your vehicle.
    :lemon:
    Help me out with message 17387 thanks.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    What are you all doing when it comes to flushing the coolant? Are you sticking with Dexcool or switching to a a Prestone etc? I know the manual states it can go 150,000 miles before change, but I find that hard to believe just like the manual states the tranny can be serviced at 100,000 miles. I did a tranny drain and refill at 62,000 mi.

This is my first GM. Is Dexacool that great? I remember reading some posts it was crap and TB owners were switching it out. Anyone of the forum owned a GM with 150,000 miles with original Dexacool?

Thanks,

gmfan.
    What you describe sounds like the struts, but they should not be worn to that extent with only 62,000 miles. I have 80,000 miles on my 02 TB and the vehicle drives and handles the same. Are you sure it is not the tailgate, tail glass rumbling, or something else in the back like a loose jack under the rear seats? Have you riden in the back while someone else is driving? Just trying to help, but I bet Tblazed will know for sure!!

-gmfan.
    How many miles were on your vehicle when the sun gear went out?
    The home office reports that there was an error in one of our databases that was doubling up some of the rebates on a few of the 2005 GM models. It's supposed to be fixed now - thanks for pointing the problem out!

Steve, Host
    Check it out i got like 68,000 on it the struts are not the problem i can tell that.I am just wondering since everyone tells me that if shock are not leaking then there is nothing wrong with them is that true?? Lastly have other tblazer owners changed there suspension not lowering it but aftermarket stuff hotckins, sway bars etc. thanks. Ps what is a sway bar and is it the thing that is next to the differential. thanks.
  • jamisonsjamisons Member Posts: 5
    I figured. Oh well! Yes, there are still some 2005's out and about but your options are, of course, limited. I sent out several emails through the Edmunds quote request line and got responses so they're either finding them elsewhere or still hanging on to some stock. Thanks for clearing up my questions though. Too bad!
    To be honest, I am not a suspension guru, but I have heared a leaking struck/shock absorber is a good sign of it going bad. I am sure a strut/shock absorber can go bad and no leak as well. It normally will bottom out and make and thud noise as well as the car will bounce up and down or porpise down the road. Yes, the sway bar is horizontal that runs near the differntial. I have rad some posts have put a stiffer sway bar on the front and back to reduce the lean of vehicle. I think Twinrotts put a hotckins kit suspension on his...Maybe he can answer. There are several messages on this subject.
    I had my the pinion seal replaced on the rear end today at the dealership. It was $223, which is not bad when you consider they have to disconnect the drive shaft, drain the differential and fill up with new synthethic fluid. The BG fluid alone is $87.

I had noticed the leak about six months ago when I was underneath the vehicle changing my oil. But, the leak had gotten worse that the entire shaft and differential area was soaked. It was not dripping or whinning yet, but I went ahead and replaced it since a new rear end can cost $2400.

Triplet owners: Next time you are under the vehicle, you may want to look in the area where the drive shaft/differential area, because my dealership tells me they have replaced several seals on these vehicles.

My two cents.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Last year I noticed mine was leaking at the pinion seal, oil blowing back on the differential, and dripping on the sway bar. Drained out the OEM gear oil, put in Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90, and it has been dry for a year now. I got out for less than $20, the price for 2 quarts of RP. If out of warranty, might give that a try first before spending big $$$.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    A major news magazine would like to hear from consumers who are thinking about/planning to sell/trade in their SUVs (and similar large gas-guzzling vehicles) for more fuel efficient cars. If you have a story to share with the reporter, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., the make/model that you are getting out of and which more fuel-efficient vehicle you are now looking for, no later than EOD Thurs., November 10, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You only replaced the fluid, and the your leaking stopped? They put BG synthethic in mine. Ever heard of BG? They say it is better than the OEM synthetic gear oil but that could be their opinion.
    You only replaced the fluid, and the your leaking stopped? Yes that's it. Stopped. Al I can figure is the additives in the RP oil swelled the seal a little and made it seal better. Viscosity is 75W-90 like the original oil.
    They put BG synthethic in mine. Ever heard of BG?
    I think BG is a line of products sold mostly at dealers. You might check Bobistheoilguy.com and see if anyone has posted about it there. Several reasons I went with Royal Purple, one is RP clearly stated their oil exceeds the GM factory spec, also because it is sold at many auto parts retailers so it's readily available and competitively priced. $7.99 a qt. is what I paid at NAPA, but that was a year ago. I would think the dealer selling the BG likely would have more profit in that than selling the GM factory oil. Last time I checked the GM oil was about $25 a qt.
  • quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    One test you can do yourself for the shocks is to jump off the rear bumper. If the car goes more than one cycle of up and down (watch closely) then the shocks are suspect. Also, have you checked the spare tire? Mine came loose after 20k and needed a half-turn to snug it up.
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Ever watch Motorweek? The guy on there who does the tech stuff and looks like an unshaven groundhog, runs Goss's Garage in the DC Metro area. He is a heavy promoter of BG products. Among other things, he recommends changing your power steering fluid (with BG, of course) every six months!
    Hope you found the renamed discussion ok - we're moving the Rainier in here and updating the Triplets title. Bravada fans are still most welcome!

Steve, Host
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    There is now a fix for the V8 powered triplet climate control thumping. 04-01-39-006B We had it done and it fixed the noise. They replace one of the hoses on the AC system. SNOKING
    Ever watch Motorweek? The guy on there who does the tech stuff and looks like an unshaven groundhog

Pat Goss. Yes I watch Motorweek weekly either on my local PBS station or off the satellite feed. He makes sense, usually. Occasionally he will say or promote something that makes me wonder though.

Like I said, BG is mostly sold by dealers. I have seen a few of their products at Autozone and O'Reilly's. BG is not well known for their lubricants like gear oil.
  • williams14williams14 Member Posts: 1
    Sent: Fri 11/11/2005 3:52 AM
    To: Karen
    Subject: (no subject)

I am hopeful someone can answer these questions?
    we bought a 1999 Oldsmobile Bravada with approximately 101,500 miles for
    $6,500 about six months ago. At the time the book value was about
    $9,000 I think. It now has approximately 107,000.
    we have replaced the fuel and water pump and now before it will pass
    inspection I need to replace the upper and lower ball joints..and have a
    right ride exhaust leak? Can one of your experts tell me the track
    record on this vehicle? when I researched it I seemed to find that you
    either buy them new or with low mileage...or after major repairs are
    done.
    Also the drivers side door never did close right but about two weeks ago
    the spring popped out on to the ground. I am wondering if after I fix
    and get it inspected if the electrical system is a problem? seems to
    sometimes quit on me when slowing down to a stop at intersections, after
    the fuel pump was replaced, and the radio and temp lights go dim
    sometimes...
    thank you for your input..
    Jill Williams
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    you bought a old car with a lot of miles and things are starting to wear out. You have no idea who had or how they took care of it so be prepared to start replacing things. This is why people get rid of cars when they start nichel and diming you to death (old term) but when you have to spend near what a monthly payment is on a BRAND NEW VEHICLE it's time to cut your losses :sick: :sick:
  • gail04gail04 Member Posts: 51
    04 Rendez, has had 2 major sunroof leaks, left front strut replaced, tire's had air reduced to bring down roughness of affinity tires and brakes squeal. GM involved at this point as it's a true "lemon." Despite that, I started thinking about another one (newer perhaps) or the Rainier. Anyone who's had both who can compare for me, I'd appreciate it. Is either one more costly, or requiring more repairs than the other, as I'm single/handicapped and know nothing of the Rainier, as I didn't know much with the Rendez. I have been in dodge caravans over 20 yrs & loved them..just wanted a change and apparently made a mistake. Thank you.
  • quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    I have owned an 05 Rainier CXL AWD since March of this year. It has been a real pleasure to drive. I was looking for a solid, quiet SUV and nothing below $50k came close except the Rainier. I was appalled at the road noise (my biggest pet peeve) in some like the Pilot. So far the Rainier has been very reliable and the only thing the dealer has done is reprogram the throttle/shift control computer to clear up a problem at low speeds. I highly recommend the vehicle. Consumer Guide gave the '06 a "smart buy" rating. Rather surprising since none of the 04-06 models impressed them and very little has changed since 04! The overall rating was 59-60 which is below their "class average" - I can't figure out their rating system. I nearly dismissed the Rainier because of their ratings - glad I didn't.

As for the Rendezvous, I have only ridden in one briefly and was not impressed. The Terraza seemed like a better vehicle to me. Almost bought one until I drove the Rainier.
  • gail04gail04 Member Posts: 51
    Quarque-Thanks for the info. Something to think about, for sure. Gail04
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Any one has tested drove the 06 with V8? How is the new nav work? Any feed back will be greatly appreciated..
  • mark77mark77 Member Posts: 4
    Last weekend I pulled the plastic handle to close the lift gate and it broke into two pieces. How do I replace it? Do I need to take the vehicle to dealer or can I replace it myself? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    The plastic handle often breaks. No handle for my '05, they did away with it and put a handhold in the liftgate.

Read somewhere an owner fixed by putting a piece of leather belt instead of the plastic handle.
    My '05 Envoy Denali has a V8. Very satisfied with performance. Don't have Nav, because I would have lost the 6 disk Bose, and can't play CD's while using NAV. Others do not have a problem with the Nav. It is personal choice.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I had mine fixed under warranty and mine is 3.4 years old with 20k. Back in July, I extended my warranty for 60 months/ 40k zero ded., GMPP, Majorgard. it only cost $900. My dealer beat the internet price I found. I'm worry free until July 2010.
  • majororgmajororg Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Bravada experiences all sort of problems with the memory settings. It's no longer under warranty, and I can't spend the money to take it to a dealership. Does anyone know if there is a simple fix for this? The mirrors to not remain where I've set them, whether it's for driver one or driver two. The seat was set for easy exit and when I moved the seat back for comfort, it moves almost all the way back to the front when I turn the key off... that's not what I call easy exit. Also, the doors lock themselves if I turn the key off, take it out, and then decide I need it back in. Then when I shut the door, to pump gas, for example, the doors are locked. I turned this off in the memory functions, but that didn't help. It's like the memory board has lost its mind! Thanks for any help you can give.
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    When you insert your key and attached remote, does the DIC properly recognize the correct remote? For example if you have remote #1, does it display correctly as #1? I ran into a situation where remote #1 would display as #2. Generally we start and stop the Envoy in the garage and often didn't lock/unlock it for long periods. I think I had unlocked the Envoy with the wife's #2 remote but later started it with my #1. It still thought it was #2. Various memory settings were lost or wouldn't stay in memory. As a long shot, try using the same remote to unlock as you are using for starting. Then reset your various memory settings for that remote. What I'm suggesting is the memory settings may be associated with the other remote or becomes confused because "it" doesn't recognize the remote. Purely speculation but does clearly fall into the "simple fix" category!
    I would just go to the DIS and turn off these features. Get everything set they way you like then turn off the memory system. Yes, you lose the memory feature, but no longer have all the aggrivation!
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    yeah- I did. The new 5.3Lv8 with DOD (displacement on demand) is a great engine. You can notice just a notch more acceleration than the 4.2I6, and the gas mileage is pretty much the same. The extra torque really isn't needed if you're getting the smaller wheelbase version. if you're going for an XL or do some heavy towing, then It's probably worth it.

But the 4.2, with 291hp is a lot of power.
    Man, you sure do not put much mileage on your vehicle!. I had the 5/75k, but I am now at 80K miles and out of warranty. Tblazed changed his fluid and the seal expanded and his leaking stopped. I should have tried that first, but who would have known that changing diff fluid would really impact the seal. But then again, I have heard people use that Barbadhl Stop Smoking stuff on high mileage vehicles (180K +) (thick has honey) in their crankcase, and the smoking stops which means it swelled or reconditioned the seals.
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    Man, I got Steve to bring the Rainier over here and now this forum has gone quiet. Sorry

SNOKING
    Just keep posting and the lurkers will unlurk. :shades:

Steve, Host