Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    They moved my office about a year and a half ago and I am only 3 miles from work now. I am lucky to put 6k a year on the TB, should last a long time. I just replaced my tires with uniroyal laredo Cross country, I read some good reviews on them and they were $112 a piece at BJ's wholesale Club including everything. Rides much better.
  • welshyboywelshyboy Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know where I can find the build sheet for my 05 trailblazer? It's usually under the back seat, but I can't find it.
    thanks
  • welshyboywelshyboy Member Posts: 9
    I would like to install a temperature gauge to tell me the outside temp. on my 05 trailblazer. any thoughts on how.
    thanks
  • quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    One idea: either Kmart or Walmart sells a digital temp gauge with a 10-foot lead to the external sensor. You could stick on the dash and run the lead through the firewall. To get a reasonable reading I think the sensor will need to be as far forward as you can get it so it won't pick up engine/radiator heat. Anyone know where GM puts their sensor?
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    RPO Codes are located inside the glove box on a sticker. The paint code will also be there. You can give your VIN to the GM parts or service dept and they can print a no cost complete build sheet.
  • brewpaulbrewpaul Member Posts: 5
    It's a tiny little clip on guage attached to the driver's side of the radiator housing. It is just behind the grill. A pretty cheap and simple fix.
  • brewpaulbrewpaul Member Posts: 5
    I am going to be changing my spark plugs in a few days. I have good info on changing them, but I cannot find recommendations on changing plug wires. I've actually read that you do not need to change them on some websites. What's the scoop? :confuse:

I have a 2002 Envoy w/ 102k miles

Thanks
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    2004 GMC Envoy with standard equipment wiper system. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if there is a known problem. Sometimes the windshield wipers work, other times they don't. Sounds like an intermittent open somewhere in the wiring or the motor.
    Plug wires only need to be changed if they are bad. They age more with time than mileage. The usual failures are cracks in the insulation and gaps in the conductive core. You should inspect them for cracks visually but internal faults can't be seen except on an analyzer at a repair shop. Most wires last well past 5 years & 150k miles.
    There was a recall on the wiper system.
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    Good news for you. There isn't any plug wires on the I-6. Each cylinder has a spark coil that sets on top of the plug eliminating the need for wires.
  • rob1123rob1123 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if an anchor for child seats is available for the 3rd row of seats on an Envoy XL? If so, where or how does a person get the part?

Thanks
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    Now I suppost they will lay off my Rainier and I will have a collectors item! Should have keep the Accord or gotten the Pilot I wanted. SNOKING
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Does anyone happen to know how to disable, disconnect, or turn down those damed seat belt chimes? They're way too loud and are driving me nuts. Thanks!
  • rob1123rob1123 Member Posts: 3
    With your radio turned off, hold down the number 6 button until you hear the chime sound and then you can adjust the volume.
  • jasonzo6jasonzo6 Member Posts: 3
    I tried doing a search on this but found too many responses and none of them pertained to my question. I was wondering if anyone has found a way to disable the feature on the DVD navigation that does not allow you to input information unless you are at a complete stop. My wife REALLY hates this feature and wants to disable it if at all possible.

Also, any chance of modding and playing a DVD movie in the main dash unit?
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    The recall 01_hoe refers to involved an opening in the wiper motor housing that allowed water to enter. Sounds like it could be your problem.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    I didn't see the commercial, but I haven't seen anyone use a drawing board to design anything in about 15 years. It's all CAD now.
    I thought that was pretty funny myself until my son enrolled at a technical college this fall in technical drawing program. His first class is using pencil and paper for drawing! I Guess they want to make sure that you can do something useful when the power goes out at your first drafting job. :shades:
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    That would explain the 1/2" panel gaps on my truck.....
    Thanks a million Rob! What a great resource this forum is. By the way, where did you get this tidbit? It's not in the owner's manual, is it? :blush:
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    My 04 Envoy had to have the windshield wiper module replaced. Thanks for your responses.
  • bitterwaterbitterwater Member Posts: 1
    Since I have purchased my envoy, i have been having problems with my battery going dead. While it was still under warranty, i had the battery replaced and linkage on the shifter changed out. Technicans supposely said that was the culprit. Now that i have no warranty, i still have the problem, and have just been getting the vehicle battery jumped. does anyone have any ideas? or has anyone have the same problem?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I would be talking with the service manager, then GM, then the sales department explaining that this has been aproblem since almost day 1. They need to fix it for free as they haven't fixed it right the first time. If they refuse, go in order to GM, then sales telling them the story and bottom line can they afford to lose another customer. I had my Tracker fixed 18 months out of warranty. Shifter problems and whole tranny had to be dropped at $450 out and another $450 back in plus parts. $1400 and after telling GM I had had all maintainance done as required, most done early and some done that wasn't required I felt they should pick up the tab. I ended up paying $375 and some change. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Just remember, calm, cool, and collected. Good luck.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    Is anyone out there getting zapped by static electricity when they get out of their TB. It is so powerful that it will even carry through a leather glove. I have been putting up with it a few years at least, my TB is an 03 with 78K.
    One theory is the rear Goodyear tires, the fronts are standard BFG issue. Also I am getting the anoying service 4wd light that kick out 4wd until it sets a while and is restarted.
    Static is a very common problem in dry climates and in winter most anywhere. The amount you get also depends on seat covering material as well as what clothes and shoes you wear. It has little to do with what vehicle you drive.

One trick I use is to hold my key in my bare hand and touch the key to a metal surface first before anything else is touched. The discharge through the key will not be felt in your hand since it is spread out over a large contact area.
    Take a minute and share your perspective: why did you end up buying a Triplet? What did you compare it with and what finally motivated your decision?

I don't mind starting ... I was motivated by the fact that Motor Trend picked it as truck of the year (although I knew all along that this really didn't mean much); by the fact that it was reputed to have a "world-class" drivetrain; that it had pretty good performance for a truck; that it had rugged good looks; and last, but not least, that you could get a great deal on one. I almost bought a 4-Runner instead, but the salesman didn't get back to me when he said he would. :D
  • imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    I bought my triplet based on several factors. Looks, quality, and price were the top three.

I loved the look of the EXT TB. The way the roof rack hides the heightened roof, is genious. Also, putting two seats in the back instead of trying to place three, makes the back row usable for adults. Besides the Toyota Sequioa, the TB was 2nd on my wifes and my lists.

When reading about how the brakes on the triplets seemed to last forever, I was convinced that the TB was the truck I wanted. My wife however needed to be convinced that the TB would be better than the Sequoia.

Well, when we had a $12,000 difference in price between the Sequioa and the TB, it was a no brainer. My wife liked the way the TB drove better, and we bought one. Our TB does not need running boards, but if we bought the Sequoia, we would have had to buy them. We got more standard features on the base model, and when I added the V-8 to our package, we can out tow almost every SUV on the market.

IMO, the first few model years of the triplets scared me. The lists of complaints and problems had me a little worried. However, I have always had good luck with GM products and GM seems to work out their issues after three or four years of production. GM dropped some standard features on the 2005 & 2006 models, so I feel I bought mine at the right time.

Besides a bad flicker signal, my TB has not had one issue. It drives as nice as the day I bought it, and I plan on having it for years to come.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks like GM is going to delay re-engineering of the TB and Envoy until '08 since SUV sales are down.

Steve, Host
  • b36b36 Member Posts: 15
    I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of any service bulletins regarding the gas odor that comes out of the vents on the first start of the day. My 04 Envoy still does it. The dealer service dept. claims they have never smelled it. I have left the envoy there overnight 3 times. Now that the cold weather has returned to the northeast the odor has returned. The service manager suggests starting with the inside circulating on. This does work if I remember to push the button. I would think GM would have come up with a fix by now.
    Have you tried a different dealer service department. Sounds like this one is not interested in fixing the problem.
  • watchdog2watchdog2 Member Posts: 21
    Greetings,

I had just recently experienced the gas smell in my 2002 Trailblazer EXT. Initially, the dealer had indicated that they were not able to duplicate or smell the gas. I told them no way, I can and it is very strong. After a further review the mechanic had found the cause which was a hose under the hood that had a small hole in it and the gas smell was coming from there. I can't think of the exact one but I will locate the service ticket and response back.
  • watchdog2watchdog2 Member Posts: 21
    I have experienced the same static charge when exiting my vehicle too during the winter months. One way to eliminate the charge temporarily is to purchase a can of "Static Guard" and spray it on the seats and floor mats. It had worked for me ....
    I bought my Rainier mainly for one reason: it's very quiet. I detested the road noise in my last 3 vehicles but I could not afford a $50k+ SUV. I drove most all the competition in the $25k-$35k ballpark. Rainier had the right combination + quiet. It was 1) small enough to fit through my narrow garage door 2) it had a powerful 6-cyl 3) it was very comfortable 4) it was $33k @ 0% 5) it had decent suspension and handling 6) it doesn't look bad and 7) the dealer is the best I've ever seen.

I liked Toyota's engineering the best but there was something about the Highlander and 4Runner that just didn't feel right. The Highlander cockpit seemed too awkward for some reason and I could not read the speedometer easily in daylight. 4Runner was too stiff. Every other SUV had some niggly thing - the Pilot had atrocious road noise on coarse pavement (worse than my Blazer). The Acura MDX came very close but was more $$.

I made the mistake of relying too much on website opinions (like auto.ConsumerGuide.com) and almost didn't test drive any of the triplets. They said they were noisier than the Pilot (huh?). Then a friend gave me a ride in his TB and I was intrigued. Five minutes in a Rainier and I was sold! Best vehicle I've owned in 40 years of driving.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    I am seeing more and more triplets so I think people are coming around and not paying to much opinion to the website opinions. Again, they are just opinions. I really do like the Rainer, but my wife will not allow me to buy a Buick. One of these days, I will put my foot down, but I enjoy my Trailblazer very well. This is the first GM I have purchased, and mine is getting better the more miles on it. The 4.2 L is very tight engine...I do not think mine loosened up until I hit 75,000 miles. My friend agrees my Trailblazer is quieter than his Tahoe. I bet that Rainer you have is a very quiet vehicle with the extra insulation. I no longer think there is a quality gap anymore between US and foreign automakers. I have had my share of owning many makes and models, and that is just my opinion!!! :)
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    We have what I call our accidental SUV. I wanted a Honda Pilot for my wife to go skiing and the Honda dealers would not give me what I wanted for a low mileage 2001 Accord V6. I stopped by the local Buick dealer and drove a I6 Rainier. It may have had the 4:10 gears, as you had to really push it to make it cruise on the freeway. So I hopped in a V8 model and it has been in the garage for 9 or 10 months now. They gave me good money for the Honda and the 2004 Demo was a steal of a deal.

Other than needing better cup holders in the front, lack of storage pockets and poor mileage, it is a really nice rig. I would have preferred manual control of the 4x4 function, and have read not so good of reports on the AWD. So, I got new takeoff wheels out of Arizona at a good price and put four studded Les Schwab Winter Cat SST tires on it. They are 245/65R17 and Michelins are 255/60R17 so the size is about the same. Drives great with the snow tires which are the Cooper Discoverer M&S rebadges. Going to try 35 lbs on air in the front in the spring when the Mich's go back on.

The Rainier is the CXL Plus with all options except the side air bags, DVD and Nav. We listen to the XM radio most of the time.

Buick service is very good. They installed the running boards as a TSB to prevent the paint chipping on the lower panels and there is now a TSB for the thump in the V8 climate control system. I signed up for a web site that provides the TSB for 12.95 per year. Good Deal!

This is a very quiet vehicle on the road. The control panel warned of possible icy roads coming home from Seattle Sunday night.

The Rainier is really my wife vehicle and she loves the sharp turning for parking at the mall etc. She also likes a bit of power, which the V8 has in spades. I get better mileage driving it than she does! So I guess she uses the power from time to time.

Head light dimmer is weird. It is push forward for hi beam and pull back for low. What happen to klicking it???? Cruise Control should have been on the steering wheel, wait, already 18 buttons on it!!!! Dual climate control is good for two people that run at different temps. It fits in the garage well with my Ram Pickup.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I have had my 4WD Envoy SLT since July of 2001. 51,000 miles and still love it. Have had a few issues but all have been rectified by the dealer without a problem. I did get the extended warranty just to be sure. Bought it because it could pull our 5000# boat/trailer yet was still a midsize, had tons of style, had tons of luxury features, was comfortable to drive, and got decent mileage. Still have essentially a brand new loking vehicle yet it is 4 model years old and had all of the original high content. If it was gone tomorrow would seriously look at the new Denali Envoy. Despite the minor naggles, it has been an excellent vehicle and I plan to keep it until it dies many years from now.
    I bought a '03 Envoy SLT and got very good service from it. The only thing I found lacking was the engine. When the '05 Envoy Denali was released I bought one, as it has the 5.3L V8. Did I need a V8? No, I wanted a V8. the 5.3L is a great engine, and no real difference in mpg vs the 4.2L. Lots more torque. Really like the tight turning radius. Now if they would just put the LS2 engine in the Envoy like the TB has.......... :)
    I have an 04 Envoy and have not experienced any gas smell. Can you be a little more specific as to the circumstances under which you smell it? Engine hot or cold? Recirc on or off? Windows open or closed? How long does the smell persist? You should never be able to smell gas in a vehicle. If you do, something is wrong and the dealer should bend over backwards to find the source. Quite often, it turns out to be a defective gas cap.
  • 7golfcharlie7golfcharlie Member Posts: 1
    I have a new house with a low garage door. I have to get rid of the roof rack or get rid of the Envoy XL. Is there any problem with getting rid of the rack? Is it difficult to get off?
    Any suggestions for sealing the bolt holes? And can it be re-installed when I sell the Envoy?

Thanks.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    If it was me and my plan was to put it back on, I would use clear silicone to seal the holes, a non-paintable type that will stay pliable so it can be removed easily. You would need to check it from time to time as it may wear off due to exposure to sun, rain, wind, etc.
    Remove the crossbars first. The roof rack is held on by 6 or 7 long screws on each side that use a torq head screw driver to remove. (Some folks just use allen wrenches instead of the torq head.) Once the rack is removed, you can also get some rivets at the Ace hardware store and put some silicone around them and in the holes. Will keep water out and can be easily removed to reinstall the roof rack. You will find some dirt around where the roof rack was mounted. Get a good polish to remove any dirt. The roof is much easier to wash without the rack.
    You will still have a noticeable raise in your roof with the XL. Take the rack off and see if it is objectionable to you.
  • lambo4lambo4 Member Posts: 1
    Many years from now--don't hold your breath!! I have a 2002 Envoy SLT with 50,000 miles now in the shop getting a new compressor for that great ECAS system to the tune of $1000.00. It also needed a new starter at 18,000 miles. I've been trying to sell the thing since the warranty expired---I should have tried harder--my instincts were right--I'd take a Hyundai with a 100,000 mile warranty any day over this crap--
    That Hyundai 100K warranty isn't bumper to bumper.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I bought my Bravada because of the looks, ride, and powertrain. The discounts made it seem like a good value. In hindsight it wasn't. GM took it back and gave me an Envoy in return. That hasn't been much better. More problems with these 2 vehicles than the combined total of vehicles I've owned in the previous 20 years!
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    I have an '03 Bravada with also 50K on it, and bought it because of the power, confort and quiet ride. I actually intended to buy a 4Runner but found them too narrow and uncomfortable for my rather large frame. The TBs and Envoys of that year had different seats that were a little hard, so I went with the Olds. Not to mention, as gam2 says, all sorts of discounts and I got 0.00% financing.

I'll say also that the straight 6 engine runs like a top and is quite powerful. My truck is quick and I like that.
    Passing power out the ying yang.

Another thing is that these vehicles are surprisingly nimble and have a better turning radious than many sedans. My job requires me to go downtown often and parallel parking is a cinch.

Initially there were problems with shuddering from the AWD system, but GM finally devised a fix about a year after my purchase.

I've haven't had any mechanical problems (knock on wood) aside from the shuddering issue. The negatives are typical GM fit and finish issues. Both passenger side doors are tight and some of the gaps are a little big.

Also, in the Spring of '04 my dealer applied a PCM update that vastly improved the shifting of the auto trans, especially when towing.

Indeed, I'm thinking of trading for a V8 Envoy or Rainer to get a little more towing capacity. I tow a boat that weighs together, full of gas, about 4500 lbs. My truck handles it ok on flat ground, but I wouldn't want to go long distances or up mountains with it.

I'm considering also moving up to a Yukon or maybe an Escalade. If anyone owns one, I'd be interested in how it compares in terms of handlings (and turning radious) to the Bravadas, TBs, etc.

JR
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I bought the GM extended full warranty up to 6 years and 72000 miles. Sorry you had the big problems. I have not. If I do up to the 72/72000 then no expense. After that, I am on my own. My bet is that if I am going to have a serious problem it will occur within the 72/72000 window. Until then, I am still happy with my purchase.
  • pj41pj41 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my '03 Trailblazer EXT v8. They replaced the rear computer, checked various other things, never solved the problem. I had it in the shop over 4 times for this problem. It would go dead if it sat for more than 2 days. Dealer kept trying to blame it on my aftermarket DVD install even though I unhooked it from the power for a month.

Two months ago, I finally went to Sears and bought the biggest CCA battery they had for it. I haven't had a problem since.

Maybe Delco had a bad run on batteries in '03. I also had to replace the one in my '03 s-10 last year. My brother's '03 s-10 battery crapped out in less than a year too.
  • b36b36 Member Posts: 15
    Raliegh I got this Envoy in Oct. of 2003. The first winter I had no problems with a fuel odor. Last year it started. The dealer has kept it over night 2 times and they never smell it. They have run all the codes several times. whatever that means. The car is kept in my garage every night. It doesn't seem to do it if recirculate is on. gm suggest putting it in recriculate when you start up. It only does it on the first start of the day,windows are normally up. Odor comes out of dash vents.only lasts 2 or 3 seconds. Seems stronger this year. If they can't fix it this year then I will probably get rid of it before next Oct.as My warranty will expire then. i like the car and this my not even be a problem for other drivers. I just don't like the odor no matter how long it lasts.
  • imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    I just read that GM is axeing the Trailblazer EXT and the Envoy XL in 2006. Four years of production and it is dead. Pretty sad. IMO, the TB is nicer than the Tahoe. It is also smaller and again, IMO, is more suited for the family. Wife's tend to drive these 7 to 9 seat SUV's, and the Tahoe is harder to drive than the TB. At least that is what my wife says. So, if you are looking to buy a 2007 TB EXT, you won't be able to. I own an EXT, and now feel that GM's over production has killed off what I think is one of their best SUV's.