Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Both had the issue. Recall included the other siblings also.
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Has anyone come up with a power programmer or similar for the triplets, and, if so, have any of you installed one? All I hear is that they are working on it, but Jiminey crickets, these vehicles have been out for years now. If anyone has one, I would love to hear their experiences. Thanks.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Do a Google search for Westers Garage.
  • quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    there are several on the internet - check out:
    http://www.i-5automotive.com/page6.html
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    For the last three days, the Edmunds site will not "remember me" and I have to sign in every time I visit. I have not changed anything on my computer and all the other sites I visit several times daily still remember me as usual. I've been visiting Edmunds Forums for over a year and never a problem before. Can't find a way to email tech guys so hope the Moderator of this Forum can help. BTW, cookies are still being accepted and I have checked and several Edmunds cookies are in the cookie folder.

Thanks,

C.B
  • genemo3genemo3 Member Posts: 11
    Same for me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The login software has been broken for several days and the techs are working to fix it. It's a site wide issue so the fix has been slow in coming. More here:

Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #2460, 22 Feb 2006 8:29 am

Apologies ... :blush:

Steve, Host
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    Thanks, Steve. At least now I know it isn't just me.

C.B.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Not only has the log in software been broke but the whole forum site has been broken for a long time. EVerytime they try one step forward we end up 2 steps back. Don't know who is running the show at Edmunds but he should be working with Bush, as he would fit in just great. :P
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Gosh, and we thought you would appreciate the server and software upgrades along with expanded services and forums reorganization. I guess we'll have to do one big rollback just to make you happy! ;)

Anyway, this is not really the place to disuss those issues so if you have any question visit the Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... - Town Hall discussion or Contact Us.

tidester, host
  • kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    I thought that this was a site to discuss the Triplets, not to take political pot-shots at the Administration.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Just let me log in and it remember me like it is supposed to. When I click on read subscriptions let that happen instead of having to use the back button and try again. Yes I have contacted Admin and the canned answer is yes we know there are problems but..........we are trying to fix them. In the mean time uncheck the remember me button for a few days. These kind of things have been going on with this site for about 6 months on and off. So big deal with the server and software upgrades along with expanded services and forums reorganization. What good are they if they end up messing up what I come here for. :lemon: Thats my last word.
  • dsr9dsr9 Member Posts: 6
    Several people posted about problems with the original Delco batteries. I have an 03 TB, is there an easy way to inspect it for leaks without taking the whole cover apart? Also what are the best brands to replace it with? I don't understand why they had to put a plastic cover over the battery in the first place.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    The only way I knew was by the electrolyte leaking out on to the ground. You could keep your eye on the area under the battery tray, but most likely it you will see it on the ground first.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    You can disconnect the Negative cable first, then the Positive to inspect the terminals and cable connections. Reconnect in reverse order- Positive, then Negative. Sometimes the leakage will not become apparent until the battery either fails to start the truck one day, or acid has wicked all the way to the starter through the cable and finally starts dripping on the ground. Then you have a ruined battery cable too.

Reason for the battery cover, it helps insulate the battery from the direct engine heat. It has a hose from the front of that battery cover to the radiator support to force air through.
  • dsr9dsr9 Member Posts: 6
    I did some more reading thru the archives on this - it seems to be better to get a battery with the terminals on top to minimize a chance for leaks. So if I do this, do I eliminate the housing cover and the bar that crosses over the top? Would a different battery still be secure without the cross-bar on top?
    ...it seems to be better to get a battery with the terminals on top to minimize a chance for leaks.

Not for me- no thanks. I bought an Autozone Duralast made by a different manufacturer ( Johnson Control maker of Interstate and Optima).

So if I do this, do I eliminate the housing cover and the bar that crosses over the top? Would a different battery still be secure without the cross-bar on top?

Yes you likely have to eliminate the housing, plus that BAR that goes across secures the battery. Without that bar, all there is holding the battery is a plastic clip bolted onto a plastic tray. Also if you want to change it out it would be much better to get all-new battery cables with the correct terminals and avoid adapters.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A newspaper would like to interview current and former owners of Buicks. Please respond to [email protected] before Tuesday, March 7, 2006 with your daytime contact info, your Buick's year, make and model, and a few thoughts on the subject of interest.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• butfordbutford Member Posts: 1
    air conditioner compressor will make a clicking sound when it ingages and disingages.
  • 727fr8dog727fr8dog Member Posts: 3
    Wanted everyone to know that the intermittent failure finally became a hard failure. I took it to the dealer and they found a broken wire in a harness under the power brake system. Total cost-$92 for a gas pedal, $120 for a throttle body (previous diagnosis from two other dealers), $79 for diagnosis from this dealer and $90 for labor to repair the broken wire. This was a certified used car that I think I'll be speaking to G.M. (thru my lawyer) about. Thanks to everyone who assisted.
    I tried to email [email protected] and all I got was a "delivery failure" notice with some sort of attachment. Outlook Express blocked the attachment so I have no idea what it is. What is the deal here? I spent at least 10 minutes composing a review of my Rainier.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's edmunds.com -with a U and not an O.

tidester, host
    DOH!
  • bigrobvettesuvbigrobvettesuv Member Posts: 1
    I drove one last week and then without delay ordered mine. This is a Vette SUV. I drive an Avalanche with a supercharger on it now and this thing just blows it away. There is no comprimise with the TB SS. I have nothing but good things to say about it.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    My wifes 2000 Impala LS, with 23k, yes 23 k, had the Delco battery go last year. I went to check to see if the terminals were tight because it wouldn't start but read 12v, the terminal fell right off. It had the dreaded Delco leak and rotted it away. I checked my 02 TB, took both terminals off, no leaks. I have 22k on my 02 TB with a june 02 build date. I think this is a Delco issue, never saw it before.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I have been through 4 sets of headlight bulbs in 3 1/2 years. I had the original ones go, then 2 sets of the hyper blue cheap ones. My brother had these PIAA super plasma GT-X bulbs, they are not that blue color but an amazing white, so crisp and clean. I got them for $60 shipped on ebay from this company. I just hope these, made in Japan, are better than the China bulbs. They have a color temperature rating of 5000K Kelvin. those plus my 55 watt hella driving lights, daylight at night.

• glags11glags11 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone in the Northeast lease an 06 Envoy SLT recently? I was quoted $409/month w/ nothing down, just first month and security. This is for the SLT with all the works. Seems a little too high. Anyone? Thanks.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I am wondering about something i have 77000 miles on my t blazer I have oem shock and struts on. Besides replacing shocks and struts is there something i can do to take away from all the bumps i am feeling on the road now? I mean i changed the links in both the front and the back so im just curious is it time time to changed both or what after market etc.
  • lastarlastar Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know if there is an after market sun visor made with a slide out?
    Thanks
    Case Logic makes one. I bought one about a year ago. It has some pockets and plastic sunshade that slides out one end. Worked well after I added some strategically placed staples to help guide the sunshade and keep it from flopping down at the end when fully extended. I think it was model AMV-10 or something like that. You will find several sellers online or check your local Target store.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    You don't need a slide out for your visor. The entire visor slides on its support rod. When you swing it around to the side window, just slide it back to the position you want. That's how it works on our Envoy.
  • gdavi4gdavi4 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the diameter of the front sway bar or the bushing sizes for a 2002 Envoy SLT 2WD?
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Can anyone help me with some advice on message 17662 thanks.
  • carpro3carpro3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi I have a 03 Envoy that has the stalling problem been at the dealer for a week they can't fix it even with calling GM corp for help. wanted to know if the ever go your fix?
    The OEM visor also slides on my Rainier but it leaves a good 4 inches of uncovered space on the side window. The extendable shade on the Case Logic covers that gap.
    I agree as it's very annoying when the sun is in that 4" of space. I went to www.caselogic.com and couldn't find the visor you are referring about. All they have are CD holders for the visor. What is the model?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I put a micrometer on the front swaybar on my 02 TB near the bushing and it was 1.735". My old bushing is 1.7" ID and it's in good shape. I used the firmer front bushings when I installed the Hotchkiss rear sway bar and I kept the old bushings.
    I agree as it's very annoying when the sun is in that 4" of space. I went to www.caselogic.com and couldn't find the visor you are referring about. All they have are CD holders for the visor. What is the model?
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    Nope. GM had to buy my '02 back. When does it stall? Does yours have the rear air suspension?
    It stall when you are first drive it after it sit it stall with in the first mile when you are slowing to a stop or sitting at stop. It will restart then know problem instill you let it sit again the only other thing it be doing sines the stalling when you start it in the morning or after it set
    it will run rough for a couple second then smooth out. No it does not have the air susension and they say mine does not have that tail gate switch is your XL Model?

Thanks Pete
    I think the model was AMV-5 or AMV-10. Do a web search for "AMV-10" and you will find many suppliers of Case Logic gear.
    I am wondering about something i have 77000 miles on my t blazer I have oem shock and struts on. Besides replacing shocks and struts is there something i can do to take away from all the bumps i am feeling on the road now? If the tread on your tires is geting worn down and/or you are running over 32 lbs pressure, those things would make the ride quality harsher. Nice thick rubber tread on a set of new tires will make it smoother. Replacement HD Bilstein shocks will give you much better bounce control than the weak stock Bilsteins that came on it.
    Mine was the regular length I-6 SLT model with the rear air suspension. It would stall when stopped at the first or second stoplight after sitting for 8+ hours. When it was about to stall, it would sometimes idle rough for a second while trying to recover. Other times it felt like the ignition just got turned off. It stalled a few times when fully warmed up too, but the majority of the time when it was still cold.

If I recall correctly, the tailgate module was sending garbage on the data bus, which confused some of the connected computers. They replaced it but the stalling continued.

The NTSB contacted me for information, and I think they opened an investigation. They were looking at triplets that stalled at highway speeds, with the rear air suspension.
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    I just found out today that the front struts are bad on my '03 Bravada with 51,000 mis. on it. It has been bouncing quite a bit and handling a little squirrely over the last couple of months. The mechanic who looked at it told me that they shouldn't wear out so soon and suggested I take it to the dealer for warranty coverage. I've got Major Guard but haven't read the fine print but have some doubts it will cover the struts.

If I'm replacing the struts, I may go ahead and replace the shocks as well and wonder what brands & models I should consider. I remember there have been discussions about certain Bilstein shocks that will give the truck a firmer and more predictable ride without making it too stiff or uncomfortable. I tow a boat from time to time and the soft suspension causes a lot of pitching front to back.

Thanks for any help. JR
    Hi yes it sound the same. The dealer had it stall on them twice once after the clean the upper end of the engine then the GM Tech line told the to replace the ign switch then it stall after that was on a Sat. then they let it set still Monday and would not stall or on Tuesday then they call me and changed their story said they mite have hit the ign key Sat when they road test it and want me to take it back. They also said Gm Tech line had know more idea for then to try.

How had was it to get them to buy back you Envoy? I call GM customer service they have not got back to me yet also call NHTSA and filed a complant with them.

P.s I forgot to tell you they are also trying to tell me that my K&N air filter mite me causing the stalling I have had that filter in sines the second week after i bought the Envoy I had one in my 98 S-10 can't you belive the thing they try to tell you.

Anymore info you can thing that mite help please let me know.
    Pete
  • deanodeano Member Posts: 11
    Major Guard DOES cover struts. Not shocks, but struts.

My '02 EXT just started making a metallic creaking noise as the nose dives on harder stops. Then as the nose starts rising, it makes another metallic creaking sound. It only does this occasionally and only after making a 90 degree turn. I suspect strut/strut bearing wear, but the dealer just lubed the stopper and said it's good to go. We'll see...

Dean
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    I figured struts weren't covered by Major Guard, though if they are bad makes you wonder why after only 51k mis.

I've already resigned myself to buying new ones and want something that will make the truck stiffer.
    At least you had it stall for the dealer; my dealer could never reproduce the stall. I still give them an "A" for trying, and they always had a professional attitude. They replaced the ignition switch and throttle body too. I had no aftermarket parts except running boards and PIAA headlight bulbs.

I've never used K&N air filters before, but I've read if there's too much oil on it, some sensors could get messed up and make the engine idle rough or stall. You may want to search the forums or K&N for that info.

Make sure you open and get a case number from GM customer service. Also, make sure you videotape the stalling. I rode around with a camcorder for a few months until I figured out how to make it stall 50% of the time (start it cold, drive it a few hundred yards, idle in park for a minute, give it some gas for a second, then watch it stall a few seconds later). I focused on the RPM's going to zero and DIC display to show the stall. The DIC was handy when it displayed "Low oil pressure, shut off engine" or something like that.

I don't know what year your Envoy is, but if it's still under warranty you have a good chance for a buyback either under your state's lemon laws or Magneson-Moss. Which state are you in? If you are in AZ I can refer you to the attorney I used. Aftermarket parts should not void the warranty, unless installed incorrectly or not maintained properly. The lemon law attorney may have an independent mechanic determine that. They will also need to look at all of your service records. BTW, good lemon law attorneys only accept cases they know they will win, so they should not charge you anything up front. They collect when you settle. My settlement took about 4 months. All my attorney had to do was write a demand letter, and a few months later we got a settlement offer. No inspection required, no court room drama.

Good luck!
    I had some trouble with stalling and surging on my '05 Rainier a few months after I bought it. It was intermittent but got more and more frequent. It always happened shortly after starting up (either cold or hot, but mostly hot). I took it to my dealer and they checked a whole raft of things. The fix appears to have been some type of "reprogramming" on one of the computers that deals with throttle/fuel system. They did not replace any parts at all. The problem has never returned.