Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    I thought if safety related (i.e. seat belts) then it would be fixed regardless if it is out of warranty by the manufacturer for goodwill purposes. I think if you called GM and explained in a level headed maner, they may help you out. The air filter is not bad- there are three screws that secure the box into place. You have to negiote a small rubber hose, but that is it.
    At 91K miles, I went ahead and changed my spark plugs this past weekend. Overall, they looked good and probably would have been fine for another 20,000 miles. It took me an hour and half- it was not quite as easy as I thought- thank god my father-in-law has every kind of tool imaginable. Vehicle cranks a little faster and has more power when you stand on it. However, I cannot tell a difference in performance when driving around town. I put the Bosch 4+ platinum plugs in- I like the idea of having a hotter plug. This message board has dried up- maybe everyone likes their triplet afterall?
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    I sent them email from mygmlink. They said TSBs are essentially advisory and there is no recall on the XLs for my 4/02 build date. They said they would call me to discuss "cost assistance". What can I reasonably hope to get from them?

--
    I was looking at replacement prices online and partsamerica wants $70 for a filter - ouch that is expensive!

There's a seller on fleeBay selling a "cleaning kit" for ten bucks - any one here used one of those??

gmpartsdirect has a few that are cheaper but as usual their site is impossible to understand (and I have not received a reply yet to the email I sent them 2 days ago).
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Autozone shows an STP SA9345 air filter to fit the Envoy.. about $14. Seems as if I paid more than that the one time I replaced mine. Also checked Advance Auto parts...they have a Purolator for $20 and a Fram with discount that is less that $18. BTW, I noticed that shopping on-line throught Advance ends up at PartsAmerica.com. Only thing I saw there for $70 was a Tornado replacement filter system. Even the K/N was only about $60.
    The one I mentioned was the K/N...at Partsamerica.com for $69.99 (I rounded off to $70, probably more with S&H and tax, if the charge that).
  • carpro3carpro3 Member Posts: 10
    Here is the latest on my Envoy Stall. They replace the computer last Thurday pick-up Envoy Thurday night they left thr data recorder on the Envoy ran fine for the weekend Monday after work it stall again and then Tuesday morning on the way to work took back to dealer. They said the data recorder pick-up information but it didn,t help them they reprogram the data recorder to pick-up different information and had be pick-up Envoy on the way to work Wed it acted like it want to stall but did not but Wed after work it did so off to the dealer I go in the morning.

That the lastest!
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Alright 01Hoe i changed the links not the bushings i am buying the rear sway bar should i put the front bushings on also that come with it? Also do i have to buy the alignment kit to go with the springs or is that with eibach. Which i see they do not make some for the tblazer Which one should i go with? Lastly i am changing all the shocks bilsteins that is let me know thanks.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Okay...I did not understand that you wanted to change the compete air filter system, not just the element. Why do you want to change to something other than the OEM air filter setup? I have not seen any real evidence that the K/N type filters give much if any better mileage or performance on most vehicles. I know some think they do, but I don't believe there is that much difference.
    My mistake. I just tried searching for "filter" and didn't realize that you can get them as a system (i.e. $70) or just the filter ($10-20). I get it now!
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    There is a TSB. Pull out hard to get some slack and then feed that back in to release it. SNOKING
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Yes, put the new front bushings on. They better than OEM. No alignment kit needed as far as I know. Bilstein is a very good shock.
    Hey 01 What is the Eibach Springs to get for the Trailblazer ls Well the correct ones that is i am seeing alot so what is the right ones to purchase. I guess i am saying where to purchase them and account number, online etc.thanks
  • densmensadensmensa Member Posts: 2
    Hi, My 2002 Envoy SLE with 54k miles suddenly started locking up during a slow speed turn, like pulling into a parking space. Fluid levels (power steering and brakes) seem fine. I thought at first I had got a sudden flat tire since the car didn't want to move, but everythig was ok. There are no dash lights coming on and we haven't had any brake problems since we've owned it - about 15k miles. I can power through the lock and it seems fine when driving straight. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Dennis
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks a bunch.

I just placed my order.
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    Does it have a limited slip rear end. It may need some additive added. SNOKING
  • mjr15197mjr15197 Member Posts: 13
    It sounds like you're in 4 wheel drive.
    Re snoking: "...Pull out hard to get some slack "

I can't pull it period - it is locked in a half way position (between being fully retracted and around a passenger).
    Re: gmfan "...I thought if safety related (i.e. seat belts) then it would be fixed regardless if it is out of warranty by the manufacturer for goodwill purposes."

GMC has offered to pay for 50% of the cost of repair. That's not quite all the way but halfway.
  • jd02jd02 Member Posts: 4
    I have had my 02 envoy through two Pennsylvania inspections since I have owned it. Both times its needed $400 worth of "suspension parts" some rear, some front, (I drive highways..46K mileage). Nonetheless they were all parts I never replaced in all but the oldest of my previously owned vehicles. SO you can imagine how impressed I am with the $38,000 Professional Engineering of my GMC Envoy. It is almost as if GM knew the "stuff was going to hit the fan" with gas prices and built these trucks just well enough to make it a few years(figuring you'd have to sell it soon anyway). If anyone reading these posts is considering a purchase of these vehicles, extend the warranty to the limits, don't worry it'll pay for itself.

Its not hard to see why GM is in such financial straits.

Here's the way it supposed to work, you make short warranty's to encourage the sale of should be profitable extended warranties. But you should build in enough quality that the extended warranty should be barely tapped. However in reality, the overall cost to service these warranteed vehicles quickly exceeds the revenues of the warranty sales. So on top of 0% financing and fat rebates, GM continually pays for the lack of quality for the life of the warranty.
    Hmmmmm.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    What parts are being replaced?
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    I haven't been to this site in years. Mainly because my Envoy was the best vehicle I ever owned. Only had it in the shop twice. Once for a wiper motor failure, that was later a recall, and another time for a rear drivers side window problem. I drove it daily for a little over 4 years and put 60,000 miles on it.

I just picked up an '06 AWD Trailblazer SS. A word of warning! Don't test drive one unless you are prepared to buy it. It has supernatural powers. You won't be able to get it out of your mind until you take one home. I just hope it gives me half as much dependability as my '02 Envoy.
    I know this sounds ridiculous, but my 02 TB has been changing stations on its own while driving down the highway. I do not have steering wheel buttons, so it cannot be from that. Never had a vehicle do this and the strange thing is that it is occurring only on two stations I listen to. It will go back and forth.

Also, my intermittent wipers are crap- the wipers nearly stop while on intermittent mode, so I no longer can use this feature and have to have the wipers either "on" or "off" position.

I have 92,000 miles and mechanically this has been a good vehicle. Anyone out there have the radio changing problem and find a solution?
    No idea about your radio issue, that's strange. Has your TB had the wiper motor recall done? Sounds like one of the symptoms.
  • jd02jd02 Member Posts: 4
    Both tie rods now and the rear linkage bushings....
  • moe8moe8 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2004 Rainier and have experienced the same clunk/surge. We've taken it to the dealership several times only to hear from them that they couldn't duplicate the problem. We finally had them take it for a couple of days and they finally felt the cluck. The dealership told us that they didn't know what was causing the problem and were checking with Detroit to see what could be done to fix the problem, (we're still waiting to hear back from them). The dealership also stated that several people with Rainiers are starting to have the same problem.
    Does your Rainier have the air suspension? Does it feel like someone has "bumped" you on the rear bumper after coming to a full stop and sitting waiting for a light to change with your foot on the brake after approximately 20 seconds? As I mentioned my '03 Envoy SLT with air suspension did this, my '05 Envoy Denali with the air suspension has not yet. However I did read and respond to another '05 Denali owner on another forum that is now experiencing this, and his started about with about 6,000 miles on it.
    Do keep us updated on what GM and dealer say.
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    Congrats and Good Luck with it.

How's the handling, does it feel top heavy in the corners
    like the Envoy? Also hows the ride quality on bumpy roads?
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    >>>Thanks a bunch.

No problem. If you could please post a little review of the Bilsteins after you've had them installed.
    I am also thinking of getting them along with the Eibach Springs, but here in NY the roads are a little rough! :cry:
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    My 03 Trailblazer did this for a while every so often, but it was 30,000 to 40,000 miles ago. It has not done it in more than a year, I have 86,000 miles on it and the only problems I have had were the A/C cycle switch (warranty), Taillight (warranty) Stabilizer links (replaced with Moog) my expense, regular maintenance and that is it, The Truck runs great and I intend to put 250,000 miles on it.
    Thanks Steve! It doesn't feel top heavy at all. It's lower than my Envoy was and the suspension is MUCH tighter. It's obviously not as smooth over bumpy roads, due to the nature of the beast, but not at all harsh. Also, it improved after letting out 7PSI from each tire. For some reason GM ships these things with 40+PSI. I've read that it has something to do with keeping them stable during transit. You would think the dealer would correct this before delivery, but...
  • 4wdfun14wdfun1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an older GMC Jimmy, which is the predecessor to the TB. It developed the elusive clunk clunk sound just like what you describe. Turned out to be front 4x4 wheel hub bearing. Have replaced more than one front wheel hub on this vehicle. The bearings do not appear to be bad during general inspection, but fail under load. The 4x4 front hubs have most likely not changed much.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Just published in the GM ordering guide, the 2007 changes.

2007 Buick Rainier
    Deletions
    Exterior Color (22U) Deep Saphire Metallic
    Exterior Color (62U) Carbon Metallic

New Features
    Exterior color (37U) Midnight Blue Metallic

Exterior color (54U) Graphite Metallic

(UE1) OnStar, 1-year of Directions and Connections plan with Turn-by-Turn navigation
    (ZNF) Tire, spare P235/75R16 all-season, blackwall
    (NZ3) Wheel, 16" (40.6 cm) full-size spare
    Wheel, 17" (43.2 cm) full-size spare

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer
    Deletions
    Exterior color (22U) Superior Blue Metallic
    Exterior color (38U) Emerald Jewel Metallic
    Exterior color (62U) Dark Gray Metallic
    Exterior color (42U) Silver Blue Metallic
    (QNF) Tires, P235/75R16, all-season, blackwall
    (QNG) Tires, P235/75R16, all-season, white outline letter
    (QC3) Wheels, 4 - 16" x 7" (40.6 cm x 17.8 cm) bright aluminum
    (CE1) Wipers, intermittent, front, Rainsense
    (UB1) Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player and cassette
    (PDR) Spring Edition Package
    (PDF) LT Package 1

New Features
    Exterior color (32U) Moondust Metallic

Exterior color (37U) Imperial Blue Metallic

(PD8) Wheels, 4 - 18" x 8" aluminum, 5-spoke

TrailBlazer SS easy-spec ordering 1SS and 3SS
    (QTM) Tires, P245/65R17, all-season, Blackwall
    (QZD) Tires, P245/60R18, all-season, Blackwall
    (QUB) Tires, P255/50R20 V-rated, blackwall
    (UJ6) Tire pressure monitoring system
    (ZTM) Tire, spare P245/65R17 blackwall

Changes
    (B4U) SS Package no longer available, now TrailBlazer SS 1SS and 3SS
    (YC6) LT Package 2, no longer includes (UB1) Sound system
    (US8) Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback now available on 1SA

Revised LT trim content now includes (CJ2) dual-zone automatic air conditioning, (STW) leather-wrapped steering wheel, (DD7) inside rearview auto-dimming mirror, (UK6) rear audio controls, (U68) Driver Information Center and (B42) rear cargo mat

2007 GMC Envoy
    Deletions
    Exterior color: (22U) Superior Blue Metallic
    Exterior color: (38U) Emerald Green Metallic
    Exterior color: (62U) Carbon Metallic
    (CE1) Wipers, front intermittent, RainSense
    (UB1) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with CD and cassette player4SB Equipment Group

New Features
    Exterior color (32U) Silver Mist Metallic

Exterior color (37U) Midnight Blue Metallic

(N87) Wheels, 4 - 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) high polished forged aluminum includes center cap and 17" steel spare – optional

(NZ3) 16" standard spare wheel(ZNF) 16" standard spare tire
    (UJ6) Tire pressure monitoring system (all models)
    Tires, 17" (43.2 cm) spare, P245/65R17
    (UE1) OnStar Gen 7

Changes
    (B42) Cargo mat, (AP9) Cargo net and (RYJ) Cargo shade are now packaged together as (PDC) Cargo Convenience Package and available on 1SA, 3SA, 3SB, 4SA and standard on 5SA. (PDC) Cargo Convenience Package with 1SA or 3SA equipment groups also includes (V1K) luggage rack with center rails.
    (US8) AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback no longer available on 1SA, 3SA or 3SB
    (V40) Seat adjuster is only available on 3SB if (**2) leather-appointed seats are ordered
    (UA6) Passlock Theft-deterrent system is no longer available on 3SB
    (U2K) XM Satellite Radio is no longer available on 1SA or 3SA
    (DK2) power heated outside mirrors are no longer available on 1SA or 3SA
    (G80) Heavy-duty rear locking differential is no longer available on 1SA or 3SA
    (GT4) 3.73 rear axle ratio is no longer available on 1SA or 3SA
    (GT5) 4.10 rear axle ratio is no longer available on 1SA or 3SA
    (G67) Rear load-leveling suspension package is no longer available on 3SB
    Hook me up man respond to message 17749 Plus What do you think about the backing plate on the tblazers rubbing against the rotor? Replace the rotor or bend it back? thanks man.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • dbyers12dbyers12 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue of stalling and cutting off when slowing down in my GMC 2003 Sierra 4.8L. I may replace the camshaft position sensor..Does anyone know where that is located and is it a good job for a do-it-yourself project?
    Finally!! Our dealership repaired our 2004 Rainier of the clunk/surge. 01 hoe your were right on the mark. The problem had to do with the air ride suspension. It also had something to do with the drive shaft, (i'm not how the 2 relate but its fixed). GM sent out an engineer from Detroit and he figured out what was happening. Apparently when the air suspension activated, the drive shaft would slip and then clunk into position after the vehicle came to a complete stop. They replaced the drive shaft with a redesigned one and problem solved.

:)
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Do you have a repair ticket that sets all of this out? If so, I would love to have a copy of that mailed to me at my expense. If not, the name and location of your dealer/service person so I could call and talk to them. My '02 Envoy has the air suspension and the occasional clunk/surge that feels like we have been tapped from behind. Only happens when the Envoy is cold and does not happen all the time. Thanks!
  • leckolsleckols Member Posts: 2
    I recently (this past Saturday) purchased a used 2005 Envoy with about 30,000 miles on it. This morning I went to fill up with gas. As I was turning around in the parking lot, the Envoy lost acceleration. I coasted to a stop. The lights, radio and dash were still working, but as I pressed accelerator, nothing happened. I re-started the truck and it started right back up and I went on my way.

Does anyone have a clue what that could have been? :(
  • quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    I bought a 2005 Rainier that developed a similar problem after 3000 miles. It was also surging quite noticably at idle speed. I nearly crashed it a couple times when pulling into a parking space and all of a sudden it would lurch forward. The stalling was much less of a problem but similar to what you had. The dealer spent several hours on it and ended up not replacing any parts. All they did was reprogram one of the computers that is involved in throttle control. Sounds like its memory got scrambled somehow. I haven't had any problems since they fixed it.

Are you experiencing surging or any other symptoms?
  • leckolsleckols Member Posts: 2
    Knock on wood, I haven't experienced any other symtpoms. I am afraid even to say it. I am going to continue monitoring it. I have a few thousand left on the warranty.
  • 02envoyowner02envoyowner Member Posts: 24
    Hooray for you for getting this fixed! This is exactly what my 02 Envoy does and my dealer has intimated it was tied to the air suspension, but offers no solution. Your description/resolution makes perfect sense. I would also very much appreciate the info requested by hardhawk so that I can share w/ my dealer. Thanks!!
    Hey hardhawk

Yep. The clunk happened pretty much anytime it was cold.

Here's exactly what the ticket says:

"Vehicle was road tested for 45 miles by shop forman with VDR in attempt to capture the cause of the complaint. Was able to reproduce complaint, worked with TAC, exhausted all info, TAC escalated case to higher level RSE, duplicated PIT 39 54 suspension exhausting at stop (normal) causing drive line to bind and then release causing bump feel and noise. Replaced slip yoke with nickel plated one, road tested a number of times, unable to reproduce stop bump, customer to monitor and report after a week of driving".
    Good news that the issue appears to be resolved. :) Do post back in a few weeks to confirm all is well and no more problems.
  • ckeenckeen Member Posts: 2
    This is an update on our '04 Trailblazer. Sent in lemon law papers, BBB(Better Business Bureau) contacted us to do a final attempt at the dealership.They did not find anything and could not duplicate the problem we were having. A week or so later truck stalls and sets the engine light on and sets two codes. We contacted BBB and GM. The light was staying on. GM asked us to bring it back in, that was this past Friday and it is still there. They replaced a part the light came back on and now they are doing more testing.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Thanks for the info. I will take that to my dealer and ask them about it. Really the only lingering issue with my Envoy. Would like to get it resolved.
  • jmwallrodtjmwallrodt Member Posts: 1
    We also had that problem. However, worse yet, our 2000 Bravada with 106,000 miles (not a lot, by our standards) just had the smartrack go out and the dealer wanted $14,000 to repair. We got a second opinion and it was the same. So, beware, you may want to trade before that happens. I don't know how common it is, but the service manager at the Chevy repair shop said he is getting more and more of them in.
    $14,000 to repair a 2000 Bravada. :surprise: :confuse: :sick:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Must be they are filling the gas tank too. That is the only way it could cost that much. :P :P
    $14,000 :surprise: That's more than I got for my excellent running 1998 Bravada, with 60,000 miles, I traded in back in 2002. I never liked the DumbTrac system, which is the main reason I dumped it. Looks like you're in the market for a new car.

Good luck!