Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Can you guys tell something does and different brake pads make different sounds? I put some pep boys raybestos pads on and man are they making a heck of alot dust on the wheels. Also when i turn to the left or right the right not as much as the left i hear a scootch sound. Now its not the boots, or cv axle or the wheel bearings and i heard it only since i replaced the front rotors and pads. So my last question is also I replaced the shocks bilstein hd's are on it they are not leaking or anything everything is tight so what is it help anyone? And also spark plugs man i see the other guy said he did his but how in the world do you get these out because the ones in the back are impossible to get out and what the the ones in the front thanks guys.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Why not take it to a dealership that services and sells both the Buick Rainier and the GMC Envoy? There are several of those dual dealerships in my area, maybe some in yours?
    Can i get some help please haha message 17891 thanks guys for help me out as you always do thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here give Stop here! Let's talk about brakes a try.

tidester, host
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Well, GM puts ceramic pads on the truck, that's why you had no brake dust. Pepboys pads get you dust, but you saved some money, right?
    Yeah man i see what you mean lesson learned MOOK QUIT BEING CHEAP!!! 01 man i get a question side note Tidester blessing came big time brakes fine its gm's crappy steering had this problem from day one design flaw im getting tired of this. 01 um what do you think of reliability as far as auto's today the reason im asking is i've moved from the north to the south and i do not need to drive 1000' of miles anymore. So with 2yrs worth of pymts left on this Tblazer which i have put like $7000 worth of aftermarket stuff on it borla, sound system, hotchkis , shocks etc is it time. I do mean its not like it was which i know that for sure but its rusting under the auto. So i dont know. What do you think?? My credit is close to flawless so im in the state of mind i do not want ANYTHING TO DO WITH GM PERIOD. Down here man they drive like bats out of hell and a truck is not what i would want again. So what will fit a guy who is built like tank and tall toyota, honda reliability keep in mind thanks.
  • bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    I need a new [spare] key for my 02 Tb. What about those for sale on ebay the blank ones that claim I can take it to any hardware store and get it duplicated. Do I need to order a new key from the dealer or can I pick one up at any pepboys?
    Thanks
    We now have 92,000 miles on the 02 LTZ and I checked the brake pads last weekend and they still have life left on them?!? How in the world can they last so long especially with the wife doing most of the driving? (sorry ladies.)

Also a side note, we bought this rig brand new May of 02 and have had absolutely ZERO problems with anything outside of the recall items. Nothing at all! They only gripe I have is that the DVD player doesn't like any of my homemade DVD's. I've tried +R, -R, R/W's can't get it to play anything but comericial DVD's.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Ditto for me, brakes wear very good, woman driver uses it 90% of the time, and she is admittedly (her admission) hard on the brakes too. Can't play MP3's in the DVD player, is that your problem?
    No it's movies that I have made using Sony's Vegas Video and DVD Architect software. I think the player is quite tempermental when it comes to media type.
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    I own 02 TB LTZ. 150K miles on it. I bought it (almost) new at dealer in 02.

I STILL haven't replaced the brakes. I keep asking various vendors (Big O Tires/Dealer) when I take it in, and they always say its fine.

WEIRD

WPK
    Nice mileage! May I inquire as to your maintenence schedule? Change the oil every 3000 miles? Synthetic oil or still using the plain ol` dino oil? Have you had any issues with your TB? Did you have to change the links?
    Oil changes, every 4-5K (kind of a balance between 3K and recommended 7.5K); only maintenance items (other than fluids, filters and 100K spark plug deal) are (i) tires (of course, about ready for third set) and (ii) shocks (upgraded to heavy duty Bilstiens).

Still runs quiet as a mouse, and plenty of power. I live in Sierras and tow boats, fight snow, etc. It's been great. I'm looking for about 300K out of this one.

- WPK
    Why upgrade the shocks? Was it worth the money?
    I sure think so. The original shocks that came with all trailblazers, including mine, are bilsteins, but are not heavy duty. My rear shocks started leaking at 30K. I continued to run them until about 140K. Then, I replaced all around with the bilstein Heavy Duty. World of difference. Feels much tighter all around. It may not be worth it to do a premature replacement (as you can tell, it takes me a while to get around to these things). However, when you do need new shocks, definitely get the Heavy Duty. It's a completely different shock.

-WPK
  • chewie65chewie65 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Trailblzerls and Tblaze...

Just wondering how this repair went.

I have the exact same rattle problem on my 02 TB. Did you replace bushings or links too?? :D
  • carriegrubbscarriegrubbs Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2004 GMC Envoy. So far I love it, but I am having a problem and wonder if I could ask a question. Anyone heard of or know why the RPM would just drop while your driving. It usually happens when I am going between 40 and 55 mph. It just suddenly bogs down like I am running out of gas. Then it picks right back up.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I have the exact same rattle problem on my 02 TB. Did you replace bushings or links too??

My bushings were fine. I replaced the 4 links which fixed all the suspension rattling.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I had the rattle also in my '02 LS TB and dealer replaced 4 links and not bushings at 65,000 miles. Feels a little tighter and no more rattle. Dealer charged alomst $450 but it was covered under extended warranty. I just paid $50 deductable.
  • jr222jr222 Member Posts: 15
    I scraped my Bravada against a parking lot pole the other night which put deep scratches into the right rear plastic molding slightly in front of the wheel well. No damage to the metal. Anyone know what holds these side moldings to the body? I don't see any clips. I know moldings on some vehicles are held on by that double sided 3M tape.

Thanks for any help - JR
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    I thought the long brake life was odd too. It's due to the ceramic brakes on these. One of the many things they got right about these vehicles.
    I replaced my shocks with the HD Bilsteins as well as added the Hotchkiss sway bar kit. Much better ride.
    You can get a spare key cut anywhere for a few bucks, but the remote key fob will cost you $150 to buy it and have it programmed.
  • chewie65chewie65 Member Posts: 5
    did you use GM parts or 3rd party?? can you share part # and cost.

I was quoted $299 by the dealership for 4 link kits.

:shades:
    Yes it's the key I need thanks.

By the way the fob remotes can be purchased right on ebay for as little as $10 and [you] can program it for nothing. The instructions are included.
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    Could be torque converter lockup. RPM will drop about 3%. This is normal operation. At steady speed try gently stepping on the brakes momentarily and see if RPM increases slightly and then drops again. This is the converter unlocking and relocking.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I just checked my brakes at 42K miles because they were starting to pulsate. Plenty of pad left but they are worn unevenly due to heavy rust on all 4 rotors. The rotors rusted on the inner and outer edges even where the brake shoe contacted the rotor. The eneven rust caused the pulsation. The pads are pretty much shot though, as they are grooved pretty bad on the inner and outer edges. Don't know how that could happen?? Pretty useless to have pads that go 100K miles if the rotors eat them up at 40K.

Greg
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Took the TB in this morning for the second time. When using the remote door opener the left mirror will either go all the way out or in and start clicking. It has then forgotten where to set itself. First time they reprogramed it. Has anyone else gotten this problem corrected?
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I used Moog parts. Here's a link to an old post with the part numbers. Should be able to get all 4 for less than $100.

tblazed, "Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy" #16281, 22 Mar 2005 7:52 am
  • emlawemlaw Member Posts: 3
    What I'm hearing about the replacement for my Envoy is that the Acadia will only be made in a 7 passenger model (same with the Enclave). Can that be true? I don't want or need the third row of seats.
  • oldsfreakoldsfreak Member Posts: 1
    Please let me know if you find out what the deal is! My 2002 Bravada does the exact same thing whenever you unlock the vehicle with the key fob. I have been contemplating a removal of the fuse/wire (if thats even possible)because its so annoying! If only you could program the thing to not move! The dealer said I had adjusted the memory position to a point outside the normal operating range and when re-programmed it worked fine for about a week.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    You can turn off the memory functions using the drivers information center. Owner's manual gives the details.
  • rjfchywyrjfchywy Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 TrailBlazer LTZ which I bought new in April 2003. Am having a problem with my tailgate/license pocket gasket (seal) being sucked into the body. It was replaced the first time in Jan 2004 with p/n 15170981 and I was told then that this was an improved seal and I would not have this problem again. Well, it is happening again after the 3 year 36,000 warranty expired. My dealership said they will replace it on a “one time only goodwill”. I asked if there has been any changes by GM to this item so it will not happen again. I was told “we don’t re-engineer GM cars”. Question for tblazed or anyone else who might know, has GM come up with anything that will stop this seal from being sucked into the body?”
    The Acadia is a crossover vehicle, which means it is built on a unitized construction car frame. There will be a 2007 Envoy, so the Acadia is not a replacement for it.
    7 passenger seating will be possible in boh of these without extending the length of the vehicles due to independent rear suspension.
    This gasket was actually a band aid that was put in place due to the fact there was paint chipping where the plastic lisence plate holder and the steel rear hatch interface. Starting in 2003, this came with the cars. 2002 models were retrofitted free of charge. They never did come up with a good design for it.
    Had mine replaced on the 02 TB back in 02. Still works perfectly and has not moved an inch. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Ditto here. When mine was redone they didn't use the goo that was on the first one. Maybe that's the secret.
    Thanks about the "goo". The one they replaced in 2004 has lots of goo. I'm taking it in next Tuesday so they can replace it the 2nd time. I'll ask them not to use the goo and maybe I won't have to replace it a 3rd time.
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    I agree about the "goo". I bought my 2002 Envoy and had to have the gasket installed. I would wander around the dealership when I was having any kind of service done and noticed after they started installing the gaskets at the factory, most of them looked bad from the glue seeping. Some even had the gaskets twisting already on the lot. I asked when they installed mine, they said it wasn't necessary. Still looks fine after a couple of years. Maybe it was just to make the manufacturing process easier by holding the gasket in place before assembly.

The whole purpose of the gasket was to fix the problem with the plastic license plate holder rubbing away the paint from the liftgate. It would expand in the heat and make contact. If you parked in the hot summer sun, you could hear it popping as it expanded. I suspect the "goo" just oozes out when it expands and allows it to shift.
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    shudder in transmission from 1st to 2 nd... did the dealer ever get the problem resolved? I have a 02 trailblazer and an 04 envoy that both sometimes will shudder.
    thanks
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    Is anyone experiencing a problem with period shutter when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear? Has anyone found the solution? I have a 02 TB and an 04 Envoy, both have the same situation...

thanks
    I think there's a computer update that fixes this.
    Had the seal replaced yesterday. Asked them not to use the "goo" and it looks like they did as I asked. However, they did not install the plastic panel correctly. When you open the rear window the plastic was behind a black metal bracket where the window latch is. I took it back and they had the take the panel off and install it correctly. Then the service advisor had the gall to tell me they didn't do it. That they only had to take the lower panel off. They did not take the upper panel off nor did they have to open the window. I wonder how they split a one piece panel into 2 pieces and put them back together while still on the TB. I was also told the fastener holding the panel to the black metal bracket was "missing" but they are going to order a replacement. It was there when I took it in to them. From now on I'm taking my TB to another dealership. Unfortunately, the closest one is 50 miles away. :mad:
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Been a while since I've posted, but I'm still enjoying my 02 TB. I am looking for feedback from folks with real world knowledge here vs opinions so thanks in advance for helping me with this issue with fact based information.
    I've used my truck for towing but to date have not gone beyond approx 3000#. I'm looking into purchasing a new RV that will come close to a hitch weight of 540# and a dry axle wgt of 4800#. Except for the rear sway bar upgrade and front bushings, suspension is stock original equip.
    Truck has 3.92?? pumpkin and Amzoil in the tranny.
    First off, Am I nuts thinking I'll pull this trailer?
    What is the real world max I should not exceed?
    Are there proven upgrades I should make that would allow me to pull this load? Truck has 65K miles and I would like another 50K plus from it. I'm willing to upgrade the suspension. Might be willing to regear it as well unless that is very expensive.
    I think you are pushing the limit. Thats alot of hitch weight and the dry weight of 4800 plus another few hundred pounds in supplies, another few hundred in water, gray water, and black water in my opinion would be way over the limits of the TB. Towing weights are figured on more than the suppension. The rear axle will only handle so much weight for example before the bearing go bad. That much weight would require a 4:10 and since you have a TB which is most likely 4 X 4 than that would mean replacing both ends which is very expensive. Do yourself a favor and the people traveling the highways and buy the proper vehicle to pull that weight.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I have owned my '02 Envoy SLT 4x4 since July of 2001. In the summer of 2002, I bought a Cobalt 220 boat which, with trailer, weighs about 5000#. I have towed this boat for 4 seasons now without incident. Take it to Table Rock Lake in the MO ozarks each summer for vacation and it tows down the highway at 70MPH with no sweat. The hills and valleys are likewise not a problem. I do have the 4.10 rear axle and the ECAS rear suspension. I have had no issues related to towing on the vehicle what so ever. I have about 55,000 miles on the Envoy and just towed the boat home from where I store it today to get it ready for the lake this weekend. My boat/trailer is at the upper end of the rated towing capacity of 6000#. I would not want to tow 6000#, but have really had no issues with towing 5000#. Unlike the comment from the previous post, you would not be a threat to anyone's safety by towing the trailer you speak of. The rear suspension/shocks would seem to me to be the place any upgrades might be needed. If you have the ECAS suspension, then none are needed.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Thanks guys for your responses. Looks like I'll be able to meet my trailer preference and not exceed 4800# when loaded. Have found a selection of equip that dry is approx 4K in weight. Hitch weights however vary between 350 and 450 and more depending on layout. The folks at the trailer dealer have verified through some ref book that I'm ok at or below 600# on the hitch. I evidently do need to purchase a new receiver to achieve a weight distribution hitch for approx $650 :cry: My gearing is 3:42 and I would consider taking that to a 3:73 or so if that could be done reasonably.
    DM: you mentioned it would be expensive. Any range estimate?
    depends on if you can do it yourself and if you can get any parts at the local wreaking yard. Also depends if you have 4 wheel drive. If so than you need to do both ends.
    I have an 02 TB with 3.73 Axle (4WD - with the I6. Pulled around a variety of 4000 - 5000 lbs items no problemo all around the Sierras. (Pulled Toyota P/Us/Subarus/4Runners/Boats) Up hills. Down Hills. I just make sure to keep it geared low....

- WPK
  • king36king36 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 Bravada, and the external temperature sensor display is acting strange. It seems to have defaulted to reading 50 degrees and stayed there, but about once a day, for about 20 minutes, the correct external temperature appears. Does anyone have any idea if something might be loose? I was going to change the sensor, then the correct temp started showing up off and on.