Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    This is purely speculation.

I can, when the transmission is cold, make my 2000 shift in a funky way as well. It's repeatable every time. Here's what I do to get that hard shift to happen on command. I can be going up a hill, and then have to let off the gas to turn the corner onto flat terrain, and as soon as I hit the gas again to accelerate, boom! a hard shift! It happens without fail.

So, here's my theory of why the transmissions will do this (some of you have already figured this out, I'll bet). Since the transmission is a 'learning' type (OMG!! SKYNET!!!), in my example it has learned that I am going up hill, hence my foot being planted heavily on the gas pedal. Then, I let up for a second, van slows and then I'm back on the throttle. The TCM hasn't had time to figure out that I'm not on an incline anymore, so shifts as fast as it can to get me back going 'up the hill,' although I'm not needing that kind of action.

It's a theory, at least. Fuzzy logic... is just that, fuzzy.
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    I wouldn't mind it making a fast, hard shift. What gets me is the pause between gears; that half-second between deselecting 2nd and selecting 3rd when the revs flare up because you're in neutral with your foot on the gas. When the TCM decides to shift, it should always select another gear as fast as mechanically possible.

Oh well, I'm sure Mazda will eventually come up with something.

Steve.
  • lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    I'm a little slow here but I think I understand what your saying the problem is. You are at a stop sign, you start to accelerate and when your MPV should shift up into second gear it hesitates for a second and then goes into 2nd and so on. Does it shift hard though or is it more of a delay?

Leslie
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Java's theory on "Fuzzy Logic" is very plausible. The fact that Mazda is developing new TCM Software would tend to lead one in that direction.
  • jeffatlmjeffatlm Member Posts: 8
    We have a 2003 LX we purchased back in July and the 2nd-3rd gear surge has become more frequent (and annoying) over the last month. We made an appointment at the dealer (Sentry West in MA) and the head tech called us back with the following: They are aware of the service bulliten on the 2002's which recommends the TCM reflash. However, they have been finding that this "fix" has not been working on the 2003 models. He has half a dozen or so test cases he is working with Mazda on. He believes it is a differnet "software" problem and that Mazda is working to come up with a new "reflash" fix for the 2003 MPV's. He has asked us to put off our appointment for a week, since he doesn't believe the current reflash will solve our problem anyway. He promised a call back with the new solution. I'll let you know.
  • bigdadibigdadi Member Posts: 72
    I live in MA too. Please post when the tech calls you back for the new fix of 2003 mpv hard shift.
    I have a set of steel rim snow tires NORD FROST 185/65-15 snow tires (made in sweden) left behind after my Volvo 850Turbo lease expired.

Which website I can find information whether the above tire circumference fit to my MPV LX (alloy wheels).
    i went to www.tirerack.com found that if use 15" wheel snow tires then 205/65-15 will fit for mazda mpv lx. the 4 I have right now are 185/65-15, is it ok?
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    You're nearly right, except that the shift from 1-2 is smooth; it's the shift from 2-3 that hesitates and then slams in. For me, it has to be from a standing start, or rather, it has to be a 2-3 shift following a 1-2 shift. Doesn't happen on a 2-3 shift following a 3-2 shift. At least, not yet :-)

Steve.
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Going to this size will throw off your speedometer and odometer, because this size is a bit smaller than the stock size on a 15" rim (the 205/65's you found at tirerack). So your speedometer will read too high, and your odometer will record more miles than actually driven.

More importantly, it is very unlikely that the smaller tire will handle the weight of an MPV. The MPV requires a load rating of at least 94 (was originally spec'd at 92, but they issued a recall and raised the minimum to 94). Since the load rating is mostly dependent on how much air a tire holds, going to a smaller size will reduce the load rating unless the tire is built to be unusually strong and run at higher pressures.

Check your snows for the load rating. I'm almost certain they will NOT work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hope this helps,

-brianV
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ......if letting the hard shift go for longer than you have to could cause any other damage to the tranny. It slamming into 3rd like that can't be doing it any good.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I believe that gear slam in a transmission is not go for the trans and will eventually do damage. It would also put a strain on the trans/engine mounts as well as the axle joints.
    Checked the snows 185/65R15 marked outside wall ...

MAX LOAD RATING 560KG (1235LB), can't find any number re your "94", "92" rating.

The tire manufacturer is Gislaved NORD * FROST
    on 5 spokes steel wheel size 6J x 15 x 43
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    We had to make another (300 miles)trip to "Hell's Backdoor" today (only 95 today, better than 130 last year) and the MPV ran prefectly. The tranny was smooth as butter all the way. I am wondering why my MPV has no problems, here is some thoughts:
    1. last built car (April 03).
    2. Had a warranty call in September for EC lite. Dealer found a leaky recirculator (not gas cap)system and fixed. Plus he said that they updated both computers. I didn't question why. He said that the Vin # was on a list.. The Fondy Wi dealer (Holiday) has a super duper warranty deparment... I happened to remember there was some bumps when the tranny was cold before the updates. Since the service updates it has shifted smooth as butter for 2500 miles...
    3. I try not to make PeeVee mad and pamper it...
    Dang Fuzzy Logic, it thinks too much like us...
    Tj
    Ok, I'm really confused. Yesterday as I was driving my MPV I noticed the stinky sulfer smell. It's been cold here in New England and I've been running the heat. I also noticed that my MPV isn't running as smoothly. My husband is going to take a look today and I'm going to call for an appt. for next week to have it looked at. I know some of you have experienced this and I was wondering what was found.

Tom......Send some of that heat my way would ya please!! :)

Thanks!

Leslie
    Per the TireRack's Tire Tech section, a maximum load of 1235# translates to a load rating of "88", well below the "94" required by the MPV.

Check out this page:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/speed.htm

The MPV's load rating translates to 1477# per tire. This is consistent with an axle gross weight limit of about 2700# (rear): 1477 x 2 = 2954 > 2700, in case the tires are running a little low on pressure. In other words, they've slightly overspec'd the tires to account for real-world driver's habits...

Strangely, Mazda calls for a 94 load rating on the 15" rims, and 95 for 16" and 17" rims according to the door sticker. I haven't the foggiest idea why they raise the bar for the bigger rims.

I've found even the 215/60R16's in a 95 load rating are rare. Most are only 92. When the OEM's wear out, I'm going to try 225/60's - they typically run a load rating of 97 because they hold more air (larger volume translates to more load capacity, all else held equal).

Since the Ford Exploder fiasko, I've started to pay more attention to these things. Not that the MPV is in any way, shape or form comparable, but it pays to be informed.

Hope this helps,

-brianV
    Are the OEM 15" tires "H" rated like the 16's and 17's? If so, are you looking to stay with "H" rated replacement tires? We have the 16" H's on our LX and I hate them. The sidewalls are way too stiff and make for a very choppy ride. I know some folks in here have said they don't mind the ride of the H's, but personally, I can't wait until they wear out and I can install a nice set of all-season touring tires. I much prefer a nice, smooth, quiet ride over the higher performance, noisey, and harsh ride of the H's.
    Maybe the goofy government has messed with the gasoline again now that winter is coming??? Try adding some injector cleaner to the gas. You might have got some bad (Water) gas and got the injectors dirty...

Like, we were in Mexico the other day and DW bought(no prescription required) some Ventlin inhalers for $2.25 each ($75 ea in US) because the US (Al Gore) thinks the the propellent is going to destroy the world....Grand Kid had her braces fixed in Mexico for $150 ($1000 US). Best Dentist(US Harvard trained) I have ever been to.. Lots of Americans leasing property and retiring in Mexico. They come here, we go there..
    Go figure.... If I was a Canadian, I would move to Mexico...

Brrrrr, The temp has dropped to 72. Time to get the electric blankets out...
    Tj
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The FDA still permits the use of CFCs as an inhaler propellant and Ventolin uses both CFC and non-CFC propellants. I think you better look to the pharmaceutical companies for the price difference - follow the money, as they say.

Boise is chilling down some and I'm sure we're getting ethanol (no MTBE I don't think) at the pump, or soon will be. I'd check for carbon build up on the throttle plate in addition to the injectors, Leslie.

Next stop, Manzanillo!

Steve, Host
  • pb17pb17 Member Posts: 33
    Anyone see the 2004 MPVs anywhere? Or any brochures? What's holding up the arrival of the new models? Dealers are very vague on when they'll arrive. Are they hoping to sell off the 2003 inventories before releasing the 2004s?
    Wait until after the first of the year to buy. First out cars are usually buggy.. Prices will start to settle down by then.

Steve: The Govt is forcing the removal of CFC drug propellents off the market. They are being replaced with inhaled spring loaded powder despensers(goofy)that are hard to use.

Leslie: Use Injector cleaner not the Octane booster stuff. One can per full tank...
    I'll bet the dealer will say "bad gas, your problem".
    Good Luck
    Tj
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    essentially the same as the 2003. Just some exterior and interior design modifications and a few minor mechanical modifications like adding rear-disc brakes.

I doubt any of these changes will be buggy since disc brakes have been out for several years on the Japanese MPV.

Now the dealers may not be dealing quite as well at first, but once consumers figure out that it is really the same-ol small van, they will have to deal in order to sell.

Not to disparage the MPV, I love my 2002. But like most other automotive categories, US consumers still have the "bigger is better" mentality.

I just hope that Mazda doesn't give in, and the next fully redone MPV (2006?) will still be smaller and more manuverable (and more stylish)than the rest. For me, if you take the small size, good handling, and stylish exterior away then there are a lot of competitors out there.

The current MPV has very few competitors. Mazda needs to keep it's eyes off the Odyssey and Sienna sales numbers, and compare the MPV sales to short wheelbase GM vans, or Dodge Caravans. Those are it's true competitors.

I am hoping that I will not be forces into a behemoth mammoth for my next minivan purchase.
  • robevtsrobevts Member Posts: 22
    I test drove two 2003 MPVs a few months ago, an ES and a LS. I remember one had a real bad sulfur smell. The saleslady said she could not notice it, as her nose was not working that day...yeah right. I liked the van ok, but it was a little small for our needs.
  • sebr0d1esebr0d1e Member Posts: 17
    Mazda can solve our (current MPV owners) problems and theirs (desire to more aptly compete with Odysseys, Siennas, Dodge/Chryco Twins) by simply taking a page from Chrysler/GM and offering current wheelbase and a new extended wheelbase when they redo the MPV for 2006.
  • mbs7mbs7 Member Posts: 28
    So, we finally bought a 2003 MPV and drove it home from the dealership on Friday. Saturday morning I went out to the garage and the electrical system was completely dead. As if the car had no battery connected.

I was able to start it by jumping it, but each time I stopped anywhere, it wouldn't start. Saturday afternoon I ended up having to call Mazda Roadside to come jump the car. My chincy jumper cables weren't working too well.

Today I took the car back to the dealer where I purchased it and they ended up giving me a loaner car. They just called and said the alternator is bad and that it will be repaired tomorrow. I'm a patient guy, so I'm not too worried yet. I'm just hoping they really solve the problem.
    -bottgers: We've got the H-rated 215/60R16's on our LX as well, and we like them, so no, I won't be downgrading the speed rating when we go to 225's. A 225/60R16 will have a slightly taller sidewall than a 215/60R16 anyway, so the ride may soften a bit, but hopefully not too much. We run our tires slightly overinflated (about 37-38psi instead of 35, which aids sidewall stiffness, of course) to improve handling. So far, the treadwear's been very even.

I wouldn't call our ride "choppy"; it's about right. "Ride" has a lot to do with the predominant road conditions where you drive though - if it's pothole city where you drive, stiffer sidewalls might get annoying.

To each his own - I'm really not a "soft ride" kind of guy. I was all over the old Sienna before I actually drove one - it rode like my grandfather's 1985 Cadillac DeVille or my fil's Roadmaster. Horrible. I hate that "floaty" steering-and-suspension-are-numb feeling. And give me a brake pedal that feels like it's actually connected to something, please, no pillow-pedal for me, thanks.

I haven't driven the new Sienna because it's simply too big for my purposes, not to mention the price. It's a personal preference thing...

-brianV
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Making the MPV longer is only part of the issue. Most of the other minivans out there are wider as well.

I like the smaller size of our '00 MPV. With one kid, we really don't need a maxi-minivan. But on the (extremely) rare occasion, we need to put people in the back row, and getting back there is difficult with the current width. A little more room between/beside the second row seats would help that out a bunch.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The smaller size of the MPV is one of its best features I think. I've found the big vans, like the GCS I own now, to be a little too big--hard to fit in the garage, constantly getting dinged up and scratched in parking lots. The MPV and the short wheelbase DC vans are just the right size for me, but the MPV currently has the major advantage of the fold-flat rear seat plus some other advantages like a better reliability record, the sliding middle seats, and the working windows in the rear doors.
    Yeah, that's the problem of buying a leftover "Lot Queen". The dealer knew it had problems but to save money he sells it and fixes it under warranty at no cost to himself.. SOP for the car business. I perfer factory fresh...(factory to me)

The MPV too small: Geezz, anybody says that should get a school bus. It's funny to watch the Odys and Toys "waddle" down the road and try to find parking..
    Tj
    That is a pretty big claim to make about a dealer if you weren't there. So the alternator is bad, it happens. I doubt the dealer knew about this problem, it doesn't make sense to have a new customer unhappy.

Enjoy your new MPV.
    You must either have some pretty smooth roads there, or you don't mind a choppy ride. If I ran 37-38 psi in my tires, it would feel like my tires were made of stone.

Like you, I also don't care for the sloppy, swashbuckling type of ride in any vehicle. However, I don't believe installing touring tires on the MPV would make it handle that much differently. I believe the way a vehicle handles is more a function of the suspension system, not the tires. However, the amount of feel that's transmitted to the passengers from short, choppy bumps such as pot holes, pavement seems, etc., is more a function of the tires rather than the suspension. The stiffer the sidewall, the more that's transmitted through the vehicle. I believe an MPV with touring tires would still outhandle any other minivan on the market because of its suspension. It may lose a bit of its of road hugging ability, but what it would gain in being able to smooth out those choppy bumps would be worth the sacrifice.
    Our roads might be smoother than most, I don't know. There's hardly any water here, and winters are mild, so we don't get the severe freeze/thaw cycles that some places face, at least not in Denver proper.

I think we're probably talking past each other a bit, too.

"Choppy" to me sounds more like a bad suspension system - one that bounds around alot, like my old Plymouth Sundance did. I envision a small boat struggling through choppy waves. "Harsh", or "stiff" is how I'd term what you're describing. Stiffer sidewalls definately let you know that you just hit something, there's no denying that.

Unless you drive hard, you won't notice the difference between sport tires and touring tires. We drive a lot of twisty mountain roads, and you can tell the difference there, even without pushing it much. For as big and as tall as it is, the MPV really turns a curve.

With only 3000 miles on the odometer, we've got a while to think about it. I'm considering winter tires for next season, since the OEM's will be down a bit by then, and then replacement performance all-season's the following year.

We'll see how it goes. I'll be interested in hearing what you decide to go with in a touring tire.

-brianV
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Well, I dropped her off at the dealer for the TWO DAY fix of the tranny computer. That bulletin deal that was floating around here a while back. They say by fixing the computer I will have a smooth shift again....nice.
    When I asked general questions about how many of these had come through, the writer was vague but just said a lot are starting to come in now.
    They did give me a loaner to use for the two days. Again, my jerky shifting was between 1st and 2nd gears from a stop....about 25% of the time.
    Well, I think it may have been the gas. The smell is gone. Very strange! My MPV is running great but my husband wants it to go in for a check on the hard shift and the sulfer smell. I have to go pick up our hitch so I may make the appt. Argh! Won't happen today though, little one is home sick from school.
    Dealers know the details on each "Queen" they have on the lot and which ones to get rid of ASAP(make deals)and it is a pain to change batteries every morning. If they don't they are not going to be in business much longer..
    Always drive a "Lot Queen" around for 45+ minutes and let it sit at the lot then see how quick it starts. If it hesitates then forget it...

As for customer relations, if you believe they care, you must have just got in town on the "Turnip Truck".. It's a Dog eat Dog world out there... Trust nobody...

Mazda has a good warranty and they will fix it.
    So you will be ok.. You may want to take it to a different dealer for warranty work. It sounds like the dealer "jimmied" the Battery warning lite..
    TRUST Nobody.. "Assume the Worst and you will be right most of the time"
    Tj
    Right now I'm in the process of reading the tire reviews posted by consumers on the Tire Rack web site. There are so many to go through, it will probably be time to replace my OEM tires by the time I get done reading them all.
  • pb17pb17 Member Posts: 33
    Spoke to two dealers about seeing the 2004 MPV's. One said the end of November,maybe, and the other said January. Is Mazda delaying the shipments due to some problem with the vehicle? What's up?
    Well, it's not going too well with our new 2003 MPV. I was really happy with the sales department, but the service dept is lacking. I have now owned the van for 6.5 days and it has been out of commission for 6 of those days.

I took the car into the shop on Monday. It turns out the battery was fine. So, they called me on Monday afternoon and said, "you have a bad alternator and we need to order the part." So, that cost me a whole day in the shop. I expected a call on Tuesday, but it never came. So, around 3pm on Tuesday I called them and they said it would be ready either in the late afternoon or in the morning. They called a short time later and said it would be ready Wednesday, which is today. Well, 2pm came and went and they hadn't called, so I called them and they admitted the alternator wasn't the problem. They replaced it and that didn't solve the problem. So, now they think there's a short circuit which is draining the battery. He said they've been going through "every circuit in the car" to find it and that they've been on the phone with Mazda about it. After chewing-out the shop foreman a little for not notifying me of the situation, he said he would call "first thing in the morning" to let me know the status.

I've considered calling Mazda directly and logging a complaint with them, but I'm not sure that will help the shop do quality work. I don't want them to do a half-hearted job because I've complained about them. However, if tomorrow doesn't go any better than today, I probably will call Mazda. After that, I may think more seriously about contacting a Lemon Lawyer.

I'm trying to be patient and am still hoping they can solve it without doing too much damage to the car :-) It seems likely that if they solve the problem, everything will be fine, but I can't help but stress over it.

Suggestions?
    This dealer is guessing about what is wrong with your van. Go for the "Lemon" law if you can. If they do get it fixed, don't ever go back.
    Picked up my van after the dealer had it for two days. They said that Mazda Tech Corp. had no fix yet for the computer module...but are 'working on it'. They DID adjust the transmission range switch sensor-PO706 was the code that had to be cleared - and was. They called Mazda Technical Assistance center and the center stated it is 'normal' for some clunking....how sweet! It did seem a little more smooth though. I am suppose to get a call or bulletin from the dealer or Mazda when the module fix comes out.

As far as parts for this beast: new wiper inserts are $21 a PIECE! Air cleaner is 19.95; what a deal! I have not been able to find the inserts or air filter in any aftermarket store yet. The dealer stated they may NEVER get them!
    What a rip-off. This is getting to smell of a bad deal more than just that sulfur smell and I've only had the vehicle for 6 months.

Oh yeah, the dealer said that the 2004's are just beginning to ship from Japan. See them in late December or January...yippee!
    Wow Tccmn1 that's quite a bit of $$ for an air filter. I go to our dealership and buy a case of oil filters and a few air filters. My husband changes the oil and air filter himself. I certainly don't remember the air filter costing me almost $20. Yikes.

Sorry your so unhappy with your MPV. I've had mine now for 6 months and with the exception of the sulfer smell which never came back, I've had no probs. and am really happy with my MPV.

Good Luck!

Leslie
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I would immediately go for the lemon law and or demand that the dealer either give me another vehicle or my money back. This is outrageous what they are doing. If the dealer should not make you wait for your new van while they fix it. It was defective from day one and they probably knew about it. Even if they didn't, the dealer should do everything possible to make you happy.
    A lot of us have had good luck with a dealer in Texas that runs an internet store for Mazda OEM parts.

I'm not sure if I can post a link without aggravating the gods around here, so let me try this - do a google search on "mazda stuff" - I bet you get lucky.

Air cleaner is $16.95, oil filters are $4.95. I bought the OEM dash speakers to bump the stock 4-speaker system in our LX to 6 speakers (wiring is in the dash, just plug and play) for less than my local dealer's cost.

Service is excellent.

As to wipers, there are aftermarket wipers that fit, but they're really long, so don't expect to pay $2.50. As to the dealer's story on air filter availability, I think you're asking the wrong guy. Pull my other leg, it plays jingle bells. "Never" is a very long time. K&N already makes one if you're inclined to go that way.

Mazda is known for having expensive parts - a lot of import makes do. On the other hand, you don't need as many of them as you might with other makes... <G>.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    2004's are at the port in NJ....I expect my first units to arrive in apx 2/3 weeks.
  • daron1daron1 Member Posts: 18
    Are the official brochures also at the port? I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the '04's. I've seen all of the photos from Europe, Japan, on the Mazda Canada site. But, I really want to see them, if not in the showroom, then atleast in a brochure or on the website. Any idea on a timeframe ?
    Well, I finally picked up my car today at the dealer. They said that they found a faulty relay in the rear-window defrost system. When they replaced it, the drain on the battery stopped.

At this point, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the whole experience. I suppose if the car has no future problems, I'll be fine.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    with most carmakers you will see the car before you see the brochures. Years ago the manufacturer used to send us brochures before the cars arrived...but now they worry about last minute product changes so they dont have the brochures dont up way ahead of time.

Also, based on the prices that the mfg charge us for brochures...get one when you see one.
    Thanks for the info. I was looking for some speakers to pump up the volume on my unit. I thought I was getting the 9 speaker deal when I ordered mine last winter...I got the in dash changer with cassette and the stupid dealer thought I was getting the speaker setup too. Sorry about the whining, BUT, it's been a long crazy road with this thing since ordering it a year ago and getting it in late February.
    I'll check out that site. Also, keep a heads up for the tranny fix that is supposedly being worked on by the engineering guru's at Mazda Corp. However, I have not located air, oil or wiper blades at the major auto stores around the TC's area in MN. Maybe we're the last to get them.
    I DO like this vehicle for many reasons. It's just that that Tranny deal brings back nightmares of my Dodge days in Caravans and being stranded TWICE in 10 years of two vehicles!
    THX!
    Tranny headaches are enough to give any of us weak knees. I hope it all works out OK for you.

I found the addition of just the dash speakers made an amazing difference. The "sound table" was raised from floor level to the dash, which improved clarity and presence a ton.

Price was still high compared to aftermarket, but convenience and confidence was too, so I figured it was worth it. There's something to be said for peace of mind and less than 5 minutes install time...

I may add rear tweeters too, although the OEM parts are not an option - you'd need to replace both rear inside quarter panel covers. I've been considering a second set of dash speakers and some time with my Dremel... The colors would match with the rest of trim (dash speakers are brown, rear panels are beige), and it would look fine, I think.

Anyway, with 6 speakers it's still not the 9-speaker set up, of course, but it's tolerable now. I bought the OEM sub-woofer - because it fits inside the rear quarter panel and doesn't get in the way of cargo - but I haven't had a chance to put it in. I'll need to create a wiring harness to hook it up.

I can't for the life of me understand why Mazda doesn't offer the 9-speaker sound system as a stand-alone upgrade. Duh. Every other manufacturer out there offers premium sound packages at ludicrous profit levels. It doesn't make any sense. As if I'm going to spring for an ES over a sound system... NOT. I looked into having an aftermarket system put in, but the $$ and hassle were just too high.

Oh well, we'll see what I find when I go to put the sub-woofer in. The folks at that "other site" were incredibly helpful and informative. Unfortunately, I've been buried at work, and see no relief for the next couple of months...

-brianV
    I read in my manual that there is a filter for the 'cabin' air intake. Suppose to be changed annually or every 12K miles. Anyone done this yet and can I do it myself??

How much doe THIS filter set you back?