Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• fletch45fletch45 Member Posts: 72
    My avg mileage drops when I am stopped, too. If you think about it, it makes sense. Any fuel you burn while sitting still is burned at the rate of 0 miles per gallon, thus reducing the average. Switch the readout to instant mileage and you will see what I mean.

Re: the little grill by the driver's ear. I thought maybe that was the microphone that the Bose system uses to check the "ambient" sound in the driver's compartment. I looked in a TB the other day with the non-Bose stereo, and I did not see the little grill. Input anyone?

jim f
  • mc3dahmc3dah Member Posts: 6
    I'm thinking real hard about an Envoy, and would like to hear from some of you fine folks about 2wd vs. 4wd. Has any body tried a 2wd with the limited slip/tranction assit options in any slippery stuff yet. My thinking is that with the limited slip, 4wd may not be needed, especially in NC. Any comments about this?

Also, folks with the 3:42 gear ratio, does the truck down shift or struggle around 50mph when going uphill? Do you wish you had the 3:73's or 4:10's?

Thanks, and I have learned alot on this board.
  • hambone7hambone7 Member Posts: 130
    Yep, I realize you get 0 MPG when idling. However, an engine is typically very stingy with gas at idle. I'm just trying to figure out if there is something wrong with the adjustments of my TB engine since the postings here seem to show that most people are getting better MPG than I. I'm jealous. And I'm not a lead foot. I rarely get the engine above 3000 RPMs.

BTW...I think it's a great truck overall.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I finally found a use for OnStar...tape a little American flag to the antenna.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Edmunds has a review of the 2WD Envoy. You can have a look at it here:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/47050/article.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I have the DIC in my Impala and it is usually about 1.7 mpg off.
    Of course your mileage will drop when you are sitting at a stoplight. Did you expect it to stay the same?
    Has anybody done some 0-60 times in their triplet yet?
    How is the low end torque. Does it have good passing power?
  • pbshannpbshann Member Posts: 20
    These are my thoughts on these two subjects. I think the little grill is a speaker b/c when my low fuel light came on and the warning beep sounded it sounded like it came from there and filled the whole truck. The little motor running noise is the gas pump starting up when you put the key in the ignition to get the engine ready to start. I had this on the 4.3L V6 in my S-10. Theses are just my guesses but lets here what other people think.
    UGGH!

Yes, of course I expect the average mileage to drop at a stop light...just not as quickly as it does. I'm just trying to figure out why my city mileage is 12.5-13.5 MPG....when I'm easy on the accelerator. Everyone else and the EPA is stating better city gas mileage.

:)
    My highway mileage is as good or better than the EPA averages, so the EPA ratings aren't more optimistic in the highway ratings. My city mileage, on the other hand is at the low end of the EPA city range. Other owners are posting mid to upper teens MPG in the city.
  • agentelevenagenteleven Member Posts: 95
    OK, I couldn't get consistent results out of my DIC this weekend to draw any conclusions. I guess it's just the nature of the beast, hambone.

My gas mileage with the 3.73 rearend and 1100 miles has been an average of 15.2 computed the old fashioned way. That's with about 15% 55MPH highway miles. I have noticed that the DIC gets more accurate after every fill-up (4 so far, it's now 0.5 MPG off).

MPG should get better after about 3000 miles or so.

Also, for finally2, what do you mean by "slow to halt?" Mine seems to want to roll forever.
  • minn_tbminn_tb Member Posts: 25
    I've posted these before, but I will do so again, with updated information:

Overall MPG (4000 miles total)
    DIC:19.2
    actual: 18.58
    average speed (overall): 36.5MPH

Best tank: 19.72 (averaged 44 mph, mostly HWY)
    Worst tank: 17.25 (averaged 27mph, mixed driving)

Other:
    MPG going up slightly, but consistently, since 2400 miles
    15 total fill-ups, resetting DIC each time, about 12 tankfuls showed DIC 0.6-0.7 above actual
    speed calculated by timer on DIC and miles driven on DIC. Halted timer when car was on, but not idling (washing/listening to music, etc.)

brh
    I am looking at putting Micheling Cross Terrain's on my LTZ.

Has anyone upgraded tires? I want to put on the 265/70/17 tires on the current rims, I am not sure if they will rub at the extremes.

Does anyone have any insight to offer?

Also, I waxed the Indigo Blue LTZ for the first time yesterday. Look BEAUTIFUL in the morning sun!

brh
  • zecgeotzzecgeotz Member Posts: 22
    Although I have not done city driving for a full tank of gas I would expect what you're getting for mileage, 12 - 13 MPG. I am getting around 15 - 16 with a 50/50 mixture of driving. I saw in an earlier posting an EPA definition of city driving from their web site.
    I found the criteria for testing efficiency at:
    www.epa.gov/otaq/cert

re: minn_tb...How'd you get the average speed?
    I got the average speed by taking the miles driven in each tank and the timer setting on the DIC. I reset each of these values each time I filled up. I would pause the timer anytime that I was just sitting in the car without running it.

I am sure that the average speed is not exact, but it gives me a good idea of my mix of driving.

brh
  • penny14penny14 Member Posts: 17
    I took my Bravada into the dealer because I noticed the leather (or is is vinyl) upholstery is bubbled out where it goes under the outside of the seat in the rear passenger seats. They tell me that all Bravadas on their lot have the same problem and it can't be fixed. Anyone else notice this problem or have any luck getting it fixed?

By the way, 4 days after getting my vehicle back with an apparent coolant sensor failure--it happened again. This time I was blocking traffic for 40 minutes waiting for the two truck to arrive. The car was running one minute and completely dead the next! The dealer says the whole computer system went down and they are installing a new one as I write this message. I love this car, but am now worried that I will continually have problems with it.

Any info on the seating situation would be appreciated. I don't know if this is only for Bravada and not TB or Envoy.
    Could you be more specific about your seat problem and location?

I'll look at my TB LTZ for the problem.
  • bobmnbobmn Member Posts: 28
    I have been reading these posts since day one, I ordered a TB LS from the factory in July and took delivery in August. I currently have 871 miles on it. Before I could even get it home, 15 mi., it developed an engine miss. Took it back to dealer and the service dept. said they repaired the connector on the #6 ignition module. Picked it up, and by the time I got it home again there was a clicking noise like a lifter or spark arcing coming from the top of the engine. Took it back again, they had it for a day, they could hear the noise but couldn't find it. Told me they needed to call GM but couldn't resolve for about a week due to their contact not being available. Would I pick up TB in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to drive it. I did and they called a week later asking me to bring back. Said GM was perplexed but suggested filling the sparkplug boots with dialectric grease. Took back in, they had TB for 3 days. Dialectric grease did not help, they swapped out all six ignition modules, this did not help. Told me they pulled the valve cover and still couldn't find ticking noise. Said they needed to call GM again, they're baffled. Asked me to pick up that evening (Wed) as they couldn't reach GM contact until following Monday again. I did, but I'm kicking myself now, I should have left it there until they get it fixed. Awaiting call today from dealer. Another issue, as soon as I drove it off the lot I noticed the steering wheel was off center to the left and there was an ever so slight drift to right. Was told I needed to put 500 miles on vehicle before they could align, need to let vehicle settle in. They aligned it and its worse than ever now. Left tire is nervous and it drives like a go cart. The steering is so tight that with a little wind on the freeway its a chore just continually overcorrecting the steering. They will have to redo it. I'll post the resolutions to these problems once I get them fixed.
    I have 871 miles on my TB LS. I have been able to get a gas mileage figure on one tankful of strictly highway driving. I was varying my speed between 60 & 65 mph and got an actual 22.0 mpg. I have the 3:42 axle ratio and 4wd. I do notice this vehicle seems to really bog down on hills and you loose speed quickly. Also it seems to have to work getting going from a dead stop although I'm light on the gas pedal.
  • lgspencelgspence Member Posts: 15
    reply to #2320 Worried by jpk23 Sep 25, 2001
    JPK23: I too had a 95 Orvis (V6) and bought an Envoy in May. The differences are amazing. I feel like I've jumped "light years" in performance and technology from the Jeep to the GMC. I know there are differences between the Envoy and TB, but my experience with the new suv has been very positive. The engine has a lot more power, the fit & finish is very good. The suv feels a lot more luxurious (...sound system, onboard DIC computer, OnStar, heated seats, etc.). I also prefer moving a switch to change from 2WD to 4WD. There are some problems that can crop up with first year models...just read through this message board...but they are usually minor. My problem was a loose rear center brake light molding, which was replaced. I did look at the new JGC's but was not impressed. I am happy with my choice.
    My TB seemed to pick up some pep after 1-3k miles. Mileage gained a little too. I have the 3.73s, and have gotten 22+ @ 70, and 20-21 @ 75 (interstate driving). The AC will bring that down at least 1 mpg. It will be interesting to know what yours will get in the long run, especially with a light foot (which I don't have).
    jim f
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    The Envoy has been tempting me ever since it came out. I've been seriously considering getting one when my current Pathfinder 2000 lease expires next August.

In two years, all I've had on the PF are oil changes and tire rotations. And that's about as much as I want to get to know the dealer.

From what I'm reading here, my next SUV will be another Pathfinder ...
  • finally2finally2 Member Posts: 10
    Hi agenteleven ~.. Slow to halt = Slow to stop.. I think it was a silly thought ..Don't these things weigh in at like 4400?.. of course they are slower to "halt"..I think it is just "me" getting used to it..

Gas mileage.. Hanging in at 15.1 now..Will c where it goes from here.. I still think it is gonna get better though..

Speed~ I don't know what happen but my "get up and go" seems to have left me for awhile..Got a great pick up on passing from 50-55..to pass.

But "she" is now dogging bad to get going..Feels like a struggle.. and heaven knows I am not wanting to push to hard on that gas pedal..:) laff.. Odd very odd..I am going to give this some time first..

Bobmn.. you have the 3.42 and posted the same thought? "Slow to get moving"..I would agree at this time.. "She is slow to get moving"
    Do you experience unusual RPM's increases at any speeds? Where are your RPM's at like 60- 65 MPH steady?

PS: You have given me hope on the mileage Bobmn.. Thanks for the post.
  • stump21stump21 Member Posts: 41
    I think I have read every post on this board but I still have the same question. What does the air suspension do for the handling of the Envoy? My fathers Lincoln has that sickening, rolling feeling with the air suspension. I like a tight cornering feel. I realize it is probably better on rough roads, but am hesitant about the negative handling effect. I am going for some test drives to hopefully compare on Wednesday night, but some responses would be appreciated!!
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Don't change the tire size too fast! You can go to the Michelin Web site and pull up specs for the Cross Terrain and get the outside diameter, number of revolutions at 60 MPH, section width. The manufacturer of the tire you have now probably has the same info on it's web site. Or, you can go to Tire Rack or similar sites to get the info. I had been looking for a set of winter tires for my Envoy, and have found none in the proper size. When I researched the Cross Terrain, which is the standard tire I have, I find that it is supposed to be great in snow, so I am going to try it this winter and see. Jumping the tire sizes you want may not only not fir in your wheel well when turning or flexing, but will also mess up your speedometer, odometer, and affect the handling. SO, be careful!
    Are you using Ethanol blended fuel? My Silverado got sluggish like you describe with E blend. Switched back to Regular unleaded, and all was well. Just a thought...
    BTW...4wd TB weighs 4600+, so yes, it is heavy.
    jim f
  • hruntinghrunting Member Posts: 6
    I ordered a 4WD black LS in August and took delivery at the beginning of this month. The ride is enjoyable. It feels nice, handles well. The steering return-to-center is a little weak, so sometimes I think its drifting, but it's actually just going in the slight direction I left it at. The vehicle now has about 1100 miles on it and I've been getting around 16mpg in the city and 19-20 highway.

My major issue right now is the paint job. On the hood, in enough light, you can see where it looks like they didn't quite spray completely, so there's a little feathered light patch. On the rear gate, there's a plastic piece that frames the license plate area and includes the lift release. Around the edge is a sharp crease where this painted plastic meets the sheet metal of that door. In this crease, it appears the paint on the sheet metal has chipped or been worn off just a little (a couple of millimeters wide, but definitely uneven and definitely primer underneath). I'm not sure if that's a bad tape job on the original paint, an issue where the movement of that plastic piece (which isn't much at all) is scraping it, or if some solvent used in that crease caused a weak bond between the paint and the surface. The dealer is going to look at it this week and point me to a body shop, but it was discomforting to find both less than a month after purchase.

The other problem I have is that sometimes, when I start the engine, it revs a little higher than at a normal startup, then slowly drops down to a normal idle speed. If I drive off though, the car has half the acceleration, almost like it's in second gear instead of first. If I floor it, it drops gear to get the acceleration I desire and then acceleration is normal, so it looks like the transmission isn't resetting properly perhaps, but it's not something that I can recreate regularly, so I'm not going to waste my time by handing it to the dealer. I'll talk to them when it goes in for the paint.

As for everything else, the power in the engine is fantastic as well as the ride and sound. It does have a little bit of wind noise (and sometimes, depending on the direction the outside wind is blowing, even a little howling) at speeds over 75, but I've come to expect that from SUVs.
    GMC is adding to its all-new 2002 Envoy lineup with the debut of the spacious Envoy XL. Available in spring 2002, Envoy XL further supports the surprising comfort of the Envoy by adding best-in-class, seven-passenger roominess to the unparalleled performance features of the Envoy lineup.

"For years, consumers have said that they want more comfort in their SUV. Envoy and Envoy XL have been engineered to exceed this previously unmet need. Within the Envoy family, we have a best-in-class five-passenger and a best-in-class seven-passenger midsize SUV. Consumers consistently told us that they are not willing to make trade-offs in their SUV, so we gave them the best of all words...unprecedented levels of ride quality, interior amenities, and roominess," explained Tony DiSalle, GMC Envoy brand manager. "The most comfortable midsize SUV also delivers more horsepower than any competitor," he added. "Envoy offers the power of an eight cylinder engine with the fuel economy of a six cylinder."

The four-door five-passenger 2002 Envoy, introduced in spring 2001, and the 2002 Envoy XL are available in two- or four-wheel-drive with a choice of well-equipped SLE or uplevel SLT trims.

Roomier and more comfortable

Surprisingly roomy and comfortable, Envoy and Envoy XL provide more first- and second-row head, leg, shoulder and hip room than most competitors. And the Envoy XL’s superior third-row seat, with six inches more shoulder room than Ford Explorer, for example, isn’t just a child’s seat. Its two seating positions can comfortably accommodate two 6' 2', 190 lb adult males. All seats feature longer, wider and thicker cushions, providing comfort for a variety of individual heights – from 4'11" to 6'2". Envoy’s SLT trim provides premium soft leather seating surfaces.

Envoy’s rear seat and Envoy XL’s second- and third-row seats fold down for extra loading flexibility. With the convenient second- and third-row flip-fold seats folded down to provide a flat load floor, Envoy XL provides an astounding 100.2 cubic feet of maximum cargo space – 18.9 cubic feet more than a seven-passenger Explorer, for example, and 12.3 cubic feet more than Dodge Durango.

Envoy XL also features a highly versatile rear cargo shelf with adjustable height levels. It can be used to extend the flat load floor in the rear when the seats are folded, raised up for privacy in concealing items stored beneath it or simply stowed or removed to maximize cargo space.

Accommodating comfort features

Envoy and Envoy XL’s standard heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system provides dual zone climate control with as much as a 25 degree F difference in temperature settings for the driver and front passenger. Envoy XL’s standard HVAC system also provides rear-seat passengers with independent temperature controls, conveniently accessible at the back of the front console. The five-passenger Envoy provides rear passengers with separate HVAC airflow direction controls.

Envoy and Envoy XL’s SLT trim provides individual memory and personalization features for two drivers. Each can tailor seat and side mirror positions, radio stations, HVAC controls and more to their individualized preferences.

The SLT’s standard six-language driver information center also provides vital information on fluid levels, along with calculations for fuel data such as average fuel economy and range.

Envoy’s standard audio system features a CD player with Radio Data System (RDS) technology that permits searching for radio stations by type and receiving text-based messages. A 275-watt Bose premium sound system, available on the SLT, optimizes listening pleasure. The SLT’s secondary steering wheel controls also enable the driver to continue watching the road while adjusting the audio, climate control or driver message center.

Envoy and Envoy XL will also offer an industry-first, factory-installed DVD Rear-Seat Entertainment system. Envoy’s state-of-the-art DVD system includes a wide screen, flip-down, color liquid-crystal display and the capability of playing studio quality audio/video in both CD-audio and DVD formats. The optional DVD system will be available in September.

GM’s renowned OnStar system is standard, along with one year of OnStar’s safety and security service package. For more information about OnStar, see the "OnStar" section of the Corporate press kit.

Smooth, comfortable ride

Envoy provides responsive handling and unexpectedly smooth, stress-free riding comfort.

Its extremely stiff and rigid body, with a 23-Hertz rating comparable to that of world-class luxury sedans, minimizes noise and vibration. Advanced, full-length hydroformed side rails with eight cross-members on the five-passenger Envoy and 10 cross-members on Envoy XL provide the backbone for this amazing structural rigidity and stiffness.

Envoy’s new independent short- and long-arm front suspension and five-link solid axle rear suspension also enhance ride comfort. Standard Bilstein monotube shock absorbers provide excellent handling and tire-to-road action. An optional, electronically controlled air suspension adjusts the spring height at each rear wheel to maintain a smooth, level ride, regardless of load and road conditions.

The hydraulically assisted rack-and-pinion steering system enhances maneuverability. Despite Envoy’s increased wheelbase and length, its 36.4-foot turning diameter is almost six feet shorter than its predecessor. Envoy XL, although 16 inches longer than the five-passenger Envoy, still provides an impressive 41.3-foot turning diameter.

Four-wheel vented disc brakes, with standard four-wheel antilock braking system (ABS), provide surer control during hard stops; the brakes also provide world-class pedal feel, wear life and quietness.

A wider track and larger standard 17-inch Michelin tires and aluminum wheels contribute to a more stable, comfortable ride and surer handling.

Unsurpassed power and performance

A totally new, all-aluminum Vortec 4200 inline six-cylinder engine drives Envoy to the top of its class in power and performance.

The standard 4.2-liter, 24-valve, dual overhead cam (DOHC) engine produces 270 peak horsepower — more than the V-8 engines of competitors like the Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its impressive 275 lb-ft of torque also enables Envoy, equipped with a 4.10 axle ratio, to tow trailers weighing as much as 6400 pounds and up to 6000 pounds on Envoy XL.

The Vortec 4200 is so incredibly smooth and quiet at idle and during acceleration that a starter-interrupt feature, called "Intelli-start," has been added to prevent re-engaging the starter if the engine is running.

Refined, sophisticated styling

A bold, center-port grille, offset by GMC’s ruby red logo, highlights the distinctive front-end appearance of both the Envoy and Envoy XL. Large, vertically oriented headlamps, standard fog lamps and standard cornering lamps — a feature rarely found on competing SUVs — extend the bold, precise look.

Beveled tail lamps create an angular, precise appearance; their geometric shape extends to the body side moldings and wheel openings. The uplevel SLT trim adds body-colored exterior door handles and brushed nickel body side moldings.

The highly refined interior includes appointments such as the brushed nickel trim appearance on the instrument panel and front console; the SLT adds premium wood trim accents.

Drew
    Host
  • penny14penny14 Member Posts: 17
    agenteleven, the seat puckering is on the back seat - passenger side near the door, mid seat at the bottom where the fabric attaches to the bottom on the seat. The dealer claims there is a bracket underneath that will not allow the upholstery to be properly attached. Let me know if any of you have this problem.
  • immoeimmoe Member Posts: 15
    Looking from the front of the vehicle, can someone tell me where the oil filter is located on the Envoy? I only have 100 mi on the vehicle and it is a pleasure to drive.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Has any other info on the XL been released, such as date of first production (other than spring 2002) and cost differential over the 5-passenger model? Also, I am 6' tall and when I sat in the 3rd row of an Expedition, my head hits the ceiling. The press release says the seat can accommodate 2 people who are 6' 2", so this sounds like a legitimate 3rd row seat.

For the Explorer, the 3rd seat is about a $1000 option, but on the dealer lots, the 3rd seat is only added as an option on the most expensive model. So in reality, in less you order an Explorer, you will end up paying about $3000 more to get the 3rd row seat.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Keep in mind, it's a first year vehicle. There are always problems with them, even if they have a Honda badge on the hood.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The XL looks great! Anyone seen a picture of a Trailblazer XL?
    I think I feel its slow to get moving more from the standpoint that its a heavier vehicle than I have been used to, not the axle ratio. I previously had an S10 Blazer. I don't experience any unusual rpm increases at any speed. When I'm traveling 60-65 mph the rpm is in the 1600-1700 range, right at the bottom of the power curve.
    Does anyone have a good answer for when to change oil in the TB. The salesman tells me to wait until the change oil light comes on. I have an LS model without the dic, not sure if I have the feature. The service dept says to change oil every 3000 miles. Also, wondering if its a good idea to perform the first oil change at about 500 miles.
  • mgrcmmgrcm Member Posts: 53
    immoe- your oil filter is up slightly to the left of the oil drain looking at the front of the Envoy.

hrunting-your howling noise you hear is from the front roof rack.I had this same noise at high speeds no matter where I put it even above the the rear door opening.My solution was to take two hard rubber strips fold them in half put them in the roof rack channel slide the back of the front roof rack over the rubber strips and clamp down the front roof rack.Apperently this prevents the rack from flexing and causing that awfull howling noise at high speeds on the interstate.Now I can put the front roof rack where ever I want.Hope this helps.

Rick
    I agree about the paint. My black LTZ paint has an orange peel texture that covers the entire vehicle. I've since come to discover that this same texture is on EVERY GM car, including the Corvette. I've seen it on every new car on the road, but GM seems to be the worst.

I have the problem with the chipped paint at the rear liftgate license assembly, too. At first, it looked like wax build-up in that groove. The dealer looked at mine and had their body shop look at it... they wanted to repaint the ENTIRE liftgate.

I'm not letting them repaint because there's NO WAY they can match the factory "texture." Besides, I really think it can be adequately fixed with some skillfully applied touch-up paint.

Further, I think that GM should address this issue and manufacture a gasket or rubber molding to go around the plastic assembly that caused the chipping. When they disassemble to install the gasket, they can touch up whatever paint, and then the gasket could cover any touch-up imperfections.

I've heard from at LEAST two other people about this same problem. I have no idea how to get GM's attention about this, but I'm willing to give it a go.
    I don't think my TB LTZ has puckering there... there is a bracket and the seat leather/vinyl isn't attached to anything, but the "fit" of the material seems to be correct.

Let us know if you find a solution or fix.
  • ees1996ees1996 Member Posts: 31
    I own an LS 2wd and there is a oil change light. Reference your manual it is in there. (Yes I actually read the manual) It states that it will come on when an oil change is necessary. But hey Im old school at 3000 miles it is time for an oil change. The manual states how to reset the oil change light also after an oil change. Hope this helps.
    AFAIK, there is no Trailblazer XL or Bravada XL, only the Envoy XL for now. Pricing has not yet been released. However, if you have any questions about the difference in length, spacing inside, I can try to dig it up for you.

Drew
    Host
    Car and Driver noted that the rear air suspension can make rear seat riders car sick. Go to caranddriver.com and check out the article in, I believe, March's issue. If you want rear springs, get the TB or the Envoy without the premium air suspension. A lot of people like the rear air suspension, but I would not consider it.
  • donbadabondonbadabon Member Posts: 2
    I have the 4WD Envoy SLT with the SLT Premium Package with Professional Towing that includes the rear load-leveling suspension, and everyone that has ridden in the back has commented at how smooth the ride is. No complaints at all.
    Just my experience.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I must say my black LTZ is perfect in finish quality. No orange peel at all...I haven't seen that on one of my cars in a long while.

Perhaps it's just me picking good vehicles, but again, it's fine.

Just my experiences.

tim

http://www.timlauro.com

(site move in process)

• trailblazer02trailblazer02 Member Posts: 11
    My TB is doing the exact same thing (high revs, lots of noise, lack of power, etc.) sometimes in the morning, but I think I recall it happening with the engine warm as well. Wife asked the dealer and he said it was the fan. I don't think so. Goes away in less than a minute after driving, so I haven't pushed the issue, yet.
  • finally2finally2 Member Posts: 10
    Hey.. thanks all for the inputs..

Fletch 45--- are you suggesting using a lower grade fuel? Please pardon my ignorance on the the Ethanol factors.. :) That is possible though cause I filled her up with the "good stuff" and noticed the difference not long after..(I didn't fill the first tank so I don't know what it was) I think this will be a test of just finding out what "works" best..and again.. giving her the opportunity to work in a little and me the chance to get a better feel for the truck....I have no doubt that I will hit the mileage that was provided for city of 16.. if not better in time...

Bobmn- Thanks for the RPM note.. I just had a couple of "odd" experiences ( two to be exact) when I pushed er to go and the freaking RPM's jumped way out of wack..(It made me nervous)Please pardon my description here without having any "auto" language..but there are definetly certain points (ranges, speeds) where the "get up and go" is right on the edge and the pick up is awesome.. at other speeds it seems as if it won't shift out to hit the next gear or something..

I just wanted to note for the "Wannabe a Trailblazer Owners" or "Considering being a Trailblazer Owners" reading out here that many of these posts, at least mine, are " New ( often under 1000 Miles)" mostly "Happy Owners" that are looking for input from others in the boat .. Not really complaining just trying to ensure that the "experiences" are within norm..though you can probably see that already and on your own~~ I just felt like noting it... I know I have received a lot of great information out here that had I not checked on it I might have then really wondered if something was wrong (ie. mileage, sluggish etc.)

Hambone.. What do you think about the Ethanol comment from Fletch..What are you using?

My opinion, the Trailblazer is a one of a kind.. best of breed for the midsize SUV market...It's got style,luxury yet is a little rugged~ as so it should be.. and it's got alot of pep too.. There is no doubt that Chevy/GM has made it's mark with this truck. I love mine.. Indigo Blue LT..3.42..sunroof, boards..leather.. I love this truck..

To the backseat info.. one thing I noticed the first day I got the truck.. ( I let my Dad drive) cause I wanted to ride in the backseat.. The backseat ride is awesome~~ smooth, quiet, roomy.. not to mention the toys..(stereo, air controls and all back there)..

Thanks..
  • jwdsrbjwdsrb Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to decide between a TB LTZ and a Bravada. The prices are nearly identical, so is there a reason not to go with the Olds and its 5 year/60,000 warranty? Also, any great differences between the Olds All Trac system and standard 4 wheel drive options available on the TB? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
    I have the dreaded "tailgate paint chipping around the plastic insert" too. This stinks.

What really irks me is that people were reporting this to dealerships back in the spring, well before mine was built. I would venture to say that this design flaw will result in the repainting of all TB tailgates. I've had the TB for almost 3 months and at first the chipping paint was barely noticable, but now the chipping paint is getting worse.

My fear is with others on this board...no body shop will be able to match the color and orange peel effect with a repainted panel.
    My opinion is this:

Ethanol mix was really popular many years ago, and if it is such a great product then why don't I see it at any gas stations anymore? I would avoid it.
    I don't have any paint chipping yet but on numerous occasions I have heard the plastic insert popping and snapping as it expands and contracts so its just a matter of time. My TB was built in August.
    Sorry, man, but from the pictures on your site, I can detect the same orangepeel texture that my truck has.

Maybe we have different definitions of orangepeel, but on your first page of pictures, 2nd row, 2nd picture, you can see the reflection of the house siding... The lines of the siding are broken up or rough in the reflection, not smooth and continuous as they would be in a true mirror. That's what I'm calling orangepeel... images reflected in the paint have a stippled effect because there are small ripples in the surface of the paint.

BUT DON'T KILL ME! Maybe I'm looking at compression artifacts from your digital photos. Maybe I have some kind of psyc disorder that makes me see car paint in a different way.

You've still got a great lookin' truck. Looks JUST LIKE mine, except I don't have those cool GM Accessories!
    I agree 100%, finally2. I would buy the EXACT same truck again if I had to do it over.

I've been posting about the 2 or 3 problems my truck has had just to see if there are others out there, and what their solutions have been. But my problems are FAR outweighed by the satisfaction I receive from the truck. I have a long list of items that I like about the truck that I guess I never post.

Maybe I should start throwing some love out there for my TB.

I'll start with the tires: BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A's! FIVE of them! These are relatively quiet for on/off road tires, and I understand from a buddy that they're long wearing, too!