Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    agentelevenagenteleven Member Posts: 95
    vplaza:

I can confirm the same problem exists on the TrailBlazers.

I have spoken with Chevrolet about it via their 1-800 number, but I haven't heard anything back.

Someone a few posts back indicated that GM was supposed to design a gasket or something, but I've never heard an update on that, either.

Please let us know what the GM Rep says.
  • Options
    medolarkmedolark Member Posts: 93
    I have learned so much from this board that I wanted to give you all some feedback on my new Envoy which I took delivery on yesterday.

First, I have the SLT with the 1SF package, 4WD, locking rear differential, a 3.73 rear axle and the load leveling suspension.

So far, I have not seen any problem with the vehicle, expect the rear door on the driver's side could possibly fit a little better. I pointed it out to the salesman who immediately called a service tech over. It is so minor I elected to leave it alone for now and see if there are any noises or such from the door on rough roads etc.

I was pretty impressed by the customer service delivery presentation. The pretty lady spent one hour and 45 minutes with me showing how everything worked, hooking up onstar etc.

I do have a couple questions that perhaps someone can answer:
    1. What are puddle lights and how do they work?
    2. I have the radio with CD and Casette which looks identical to the BOSE picture in the owners manual, but mine does not say BOSE on it. What is different about the BOSE? Who makes the "non-Bose" radio.

If anyone has any specific questions about my vehicle please let me know, I'll be happy to investigate.

Al
  • Options
    jstinejstine Member Posts: 3
    During the summer, I considered both the Trailblazer LTZ and the Envoy SLT, as well as the Bravada. I ended up ordering a majestic red Trailblazer LTZ in October - took delivery in mid November and have been very satisfied since. In terms of the interior, I just don't like all the fake wood in the Envoy - a little as in the Bravada - would be OK but in my view the center panel and console on the Envoy are just too much. I also felt the Trailblazer did a better job of positioning the 4WD controls and the rear wiper controls. In terms of the exterior, I prefer the looks of the Trailblazer with the LTZ two-tone wheel flares - the flares also protect the sides from a carelessly opened door. I also prefer the cut down rear bumper step on the TBZ as opposed to the flat bumper on the Envoy. The Envoy comes with Michelin tires which should be superior to the BF Goodriches that come with the TBZ. But for the upcoming demise of Oldsmobile, I probably would have gone for the Bravada as it seems to have the best balance in terms of interior/exterior appearance/equipment of the triplets. However, I just couldn't see investing $33-35,000 in a truck which will be an orphan in two years. Also, my Chevy dealer was about the easiest dealer I ever dealt with - great price up front; delivery within 4 weeks of placing the order; and they are 3 miles from my house.

Ultimately, I think any of the triplets would be a good choice as they are state of the art for the mid-size SUV - all they need is a 25 gallon fuel tank!
  • Options
    garykinggaryking Member Posts: 47
    Bryan,
    No idea where the crossbars were on the one I drove. Hard to believe that placement of the crossbar could cause THAT much noise. I'll have to drive another, and pay more attention next time....
  • Options
    robsutsrobsuts Member Posts: 18
    The Envoy offers the air adjusted rear suspension -- I don't think the TB does. Additionally, the Evnoy then offers an air hose in the rear compartment for tire inflation (or other use -- toys, bikes, what have you).
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Puddle lights are the small lights on the bottom rear inside door panel. They should illuminate as the other inside lights do. In theory they should light up the ground where you would be stepping out.

Regarding the stereo fronts - here's how it goes. There are essentially two different looking stereo fronts. One for the stereo equipped with one disk player and cassette and the other is for the stereo that is equipped with the in-dash CD changer. They look very different. As far as the Bose badging - it can be on either front, if so equipped.

All of the stereos are manufactured by Delco Electronics, a division of General Motors. The Bose stereos have an amplifier and speakers designed and manufacturered by Bose - a high end stereo company. Bose is very well known for making superb home stereo systems. What GM and Bose have done now for nearly 20 years is design speaker systems custom engineered for each model that it is offered in.
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Here's a site that sells transponder bypass kits to allow easy and seamless installation of aftermarket remote starters/alarms with the factory alarm and doorlocks/databus... They make them for the 2002 Triplets as well:

http://www.transponderbypass.com/

GMC Envoy 2002

Available Model(s):

GM Passlock II Bypass Kit (HPBK3)

GM Doorlock/Alarm Databus Interface Kit (GMDL1)

GM Passlock II bypass kit (PL45)

GM Learnable Passlock Bypass Kit (IPPME)

• Options
    jhtjht Member Posts: 24
    I bought my Bravada at the end of March (in fact, I was driving it home from the dealer when the recall was announced). All together, it's a terrific car. It has had a few problems, which seem to be the normal "first off the line with a new model"-type problems that can happen. I've had the wandering mirrors, a problem with over-revving before shifting, the loose console lid, and the loose rubber seals on the doors. None have been really significant things that affected functionality and I'll be addressing them all at my next service.

It's been less problematic than most new cars I've owned (my first-year Intrepid had a computer flaw that literally required rebooting the car periodically).

-Josh
  • Options
    Ahhh! That must have been the Microsoft Intrepid! ;) Reminds me of the following joke I received in email a while back:

The Microsoft chairman, comparing computers with the auto industry, said, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry, we'd all be driving cars that cost $25 and got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

GM should have responded like this:

-- If Microsoft built cars, every time it repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

-- If Microsoft built cars, occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart, and drive on.

-- If Microsoft built cars, occasionally executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail, and you would have to re-install the engine.

-- If Microsoft built cars, you could only have one person in the car at a time, unless you bought "Car 95" or "CarNT." But, then you would have to buy more seats.

-- If Microsoft built cars, Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast, twice as easy to drive, but would only run on 5 percent of the roads.

-- If Microsoft built cars, the Macintosh car owners would get expensive Microsoft upgrades to their cars, which would make their cars run much slower.

-- If Microsoft built cars, the oil, gas, and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "General Car Fault" warning light.

-- If Microsoft built cars, the airbag system would say "are you sure?" before going off.
  • Options
    cwhawkcwhawk Member Posts: 38
    I went to my dealer today and he had 7 new TB on the lot. Five did not have the bracket cover on the inside floor bracket of either front seats, however, two had them. He then ordered a pair for my vehicle. I guess only the owners that complain get the bracket covers.
  • Options
    medolarkmedolark Member Posts: 93
    This is something I checked and my envoy has all the covers.
  • Options
    vplazavplaza Member Posts: 47
    Well, I can't say I was expecting too much, but the regional GM Representative took a look at our Envoy and the other Envoys they had at the dealer today.

According to the service rep (I personally did not speak to the GM Rep), they are classifying this as a factory defect. No duh, Sherlock! They will not do anything to it right now and we will have to wait until GM finds a permanent solution. Unfortunately, no one has any idea when that will be.

I'm not really happy with that answer, but I suppose that's the best they can do at this time.
  • Options
    giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    Thanks for the responses, it's good to hear several people in the group are happy with their vehicle. Now to find a dealer that's worth my time. Anyone have any good dealer experiences around Houston Texas?
  • Options
    candlbuffcandlbuff Member Posts: 11
    I've told my friends about this story, and now I'll share it with the group.

I had been interested in the TB since its' introduction. On the Saturday night before Mother's Day, our family had just finished attending my daughter's dance recital in Kingwood, and decided to go out for dinner. After dinner it was still light outside, so I suggested that we go over to Robbins Chevrolet in Humble to see if they had received any TBs.

Upon pulling into Robbins Chevrolet, we found a TB prominently displayed in their lot. We parked our car and got out to look it over. Strangely, I wasn't assaulted by a salesman looking to "sell" me. After spending about 10 minutes looking over the TB, I decided to go into Robbins to see if I could take it for a test drive. I literally went up to the first salesman I saw and introduced myself. "Hi, my name is .... I noticed the name tag on the guy's shirt which said "Rich Krause". I didn't think anything about it, and proceeded to ask him about a test drive. He told me that he needed to make a copy of my driver license, which he did. He brought me back my license, and handed me the keys, looking at me a little strangely. I didn't pay any attention to it at the time.

Our family then headed off in the TB, enjoying our test drive. Upon our return, Rich was waiting outside the door of the dealership. I started to hand him back the keys, when he said "You sure have a poor memory". I looked up at Rich, thinking "what's up with you", when it dawned upon me that this was Dick Krause, my first boss at Union Carbide, when I had graduated college. Now this wouldn't have seemed very strange except that we had last worked together 18 years ago in Chicago, and neither one of us knew that the other lived in Houston!

All I kept muttering on the way home that night was "I can't believe it". Needless to say, "Rich" cut me a truly exceptional deal. He's been selling Chevy's at Robbins for 7 years since his retirement from Union Carbide. Rich has succeeded in this dog-eat-dog business on the basis of honesty, repeat business, and customer referals.

If you contact Rich at 281/ 446-3021 x2203, mention that you know, "Chris Buffington", you'll be very satisfied with the results.

IMHO, a story for the ages!

Chris Buffington
  • Options
    kimodokimodo Member Posts: 44
    Hi all,
    Just made a deal for a new LS 4wd TB. Will be taking delivery this saturday. Was wondering where I can get running boards or tubes for the TB online. Checked out gmaccesories.direct, but there seems to be no accesories for the TB.
  • Options
    baitisjbaitisj Member Posts: 24
    Hey there agenteleven:

If you decide to put tweeters in the dash, wire them in parallel with the front speakers, and insert crossover capacitors in series with the new in-dash tweeters (one to ten microfarads should do the trick). The majority of the power in audio signals is below 1kHz, and putting the capacitor in series with the tweeter will cut out low frequencies, enhancing clarity and decreasing impedance mismatch.

I seriously doubt adding a pair of tweeters will cause problems with the hot-running deck.
  • Options
    imototoimototo Member Posts: 22
    While I've only got a little over 2000 miles on my Bravada (have had since last July), I've had few problems. The "service engine soon" light came on at 500 miles. The dealership (where I did not buy the car) replaced a computer module. A week ago, I started the car, put it in reverse and it died. Couldn't start it. Called On-Star---those people are so nice!--and they couldn't do a diagnostic on it so arranged for roadside assistance. I left the car to make a call and when I came back and tried to start it again, it started. I have no idea what happened or why.

So far, we love the car. Drives like a dream. Mileage is pretty awful, though. I'm averaging a little under 16 mpg. And wish there were more Olds dealers....the closest one to me is in a pretty rough neighborhood (hate leaving the car there overnight) and they don't instill much confidence in me........last time, it took them 3 days to figure out the problem and fix it (replacing the computer module).
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Any GM dealer that sells one of the triplets should be able to service the truck I would think. Have your tried bringing it in to a Chev dealer?

Here in Canada, all Chevy dealers are Olds dealers also so Olds service will never be a problem like I hear it is in parts of the U.S.
  • Options
    jw4gmjw4gm Member Posts: 27
    cwhawk, (post 3278) and others.....
    Since many of us seem to be missing seat bracket covers; if you, or anyone else, gains access to a GM part number for the covers, please post the number and maybe we can get them from an online suppliers. Some past postings indicate that one size fits all. Please post a part number if you find one. Thanks.
  • Options
    tcd2tcd2 Member Posts: 16
    No more squeal, why, I don't know, he's on 3rd, what's on 2nd, and who's on 1st.. The dealer checked out my trailblazer for the front end squeal like others have reported, but as my luck goes didn't find a thing wrong. It made the noise once but not long enough for them to track it down. So they say they took apart the wheel and look at all the moving parts and did see anything dangerous or broken. Hmmm? Anyway the squeal is gone for now. Has anybody with this problem noticed that when it's colder outside it acts up and then disappears when its warm. It may be coincidental but that seems to be my case.
  • Options
    Give 'em heck, vplaza! This whole problem is nothing short of ridiculous!

Keep us posted!
  • Options
    Good advice, baitisj.

Any recommendations on speaker brands to look at?
  • Options
    Kimodo, welcome aboard!

Several folks have posted info about the factory running boards on this forum. You can order them at www.gmpartsdirect.com for$247. Part numbers are below for convenience:

12497885 TB

12497886 Envoy

If interested in aftermarket fiberglass and aluminum running boards for your TB, check: http://www.boards4less.com/20chevtrailg.html

If interested in tube steps, check out what MANIK is making...

Envoys:

http://www.manik.com/images/2002%20GMC%20Envoy-PR.jpg

Trailblazers: http://www.manik.com/images/2002%20Chevy%20Trailblazer-PR.jpg

Also check the accessories board
  • Options
    Well folks, those of you following the saga of the paint issue will not like the latest.

I spoke to the Service Director at the dealership. I guess he spent over 2 1/2 hours with the GM Representative yesterday looking at my car and other Envoys. The GM Representative told the Service Director that the situation with the rear paint is "acceptable to GM"!! They will NOT be doing anything else with my car!! It seems that since it does not harm the strength, integrity, or whatever of the rear, it doesn't warrant any work.

In fact, the dealership's service department has been trying to get reimbursed for the two re-paints that they had done on my car previously, and the GM Rep told him yesterday that he shouldn't have done the work and he isn't going to be reimbursed! The Service Director is now trying to talk to this guy's boss about it, but I doubt if it will make any difference. He was obviously trying to make me, his customer, happy the first time he tried to have it repainted, but his mistake was he did not get clear direction from GM about what to do about the problem before he had it done, so he's out $600 for the work already done.

So, in a nutshell, we are driving vehicles with an obvious defect in design that causes the paint to be scraped off the rear of the vehicle by this damned plastic piece. And GM is NOT going to do anything about it, at least according to the Service Director at the dealership I went to.

I don't know about you all, but I don't like it. You may be able to live with this blemish to your cars, but I can't. I am seriously starting to think about that buy back route since it's obvious that GM does not care about 100% customer satisfaction. They may think that it's just cosmetic, but I think it's also the principle of it. They're saying that a $30k vehicle is allowed to have scraped paint from the factory. I don't think so.
  • Options
    flyguy7flyguy7 Member Posts: 22
    Does any one know how much of the mechanics in the Triplets are controlled by the computer? Yesterday I tried to rev the engine while warming it up and I could not get the revs to go above 4K, actually it could barely creep up past 3K. I even had it floored. I was told that the gas peddle is electrically controlled, is this valid? Also how much would it cost if the warranty was expired and that computer needed to be replaced? Is it covered under the emissions warranty? Also all of you may want to check your radio antennas. Mine was 1/2 unscrewed. Checked another one at the dealer and it was only finger tight.
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    The gas pedal is electonically controlled. However, it appears to do what you
    tell it to do. I know that one of those hybrids has a drive by wire that won't rev up
    the engine if you're in park even if you floor it. It sounds like you might need something
    like this.

Why would you ever be reving the engine up to 4000 when trying to warm it up?
    That's the absolute worst thing you can to do an engine. Starting is when most of
    the engine wear occurs because the oil is the oil pan and takes time to warm up get
    circulating. Start it and keep your foot off the gas. Let it warm itself up.
  • Options
    flyguy7flyguy7 Member Posts: 22
    It had been running for a couple of minutes and when I tried to rev it up the gas was half depressed and revs hardly went up. I am fully aware of cold oil properties, but my main concern is that the computer controls everything and if it goes it coulkd leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Is there a default mode for it? I am also wondering if they have it temp controlled to prevent high revving when cold?

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    THAT'S COMPLETELY OUTRAGEOUS!!!

There's NO WAY this paint chipping can be acceptable! I'm dumbfounded!

We must convince GM to reconsider. I just don't think it makes good marketing sense for them to have hundreds of trucks out there that say (in my case) TrailBlazer on one side, Chevrolet on the other, and inches away in the middle there's a bunch of gray primer under chipped paint!
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    to flyguy7: I wouldn't worry too much about replacing the computer control for the engine, they'll throw in a new computer when they replace the $6,000 engine. Reving a cold engine does not warm it up faster. Driving it normally does just fine. High reving an engine with the trans in park more often than not will ruin a timing chain/gear or timing belt. Have you noticed the tach does not have a "red line". I've read that you cannot redline the tripletts. The computer may just save your engine.
  • Options
    I apologize if I may seem to be making such a big thing about this paint problem.

I would like to ask all triplet owners to take a minute or two and take a look at that area on the rear hatch where that plastic moulding touches the paint. I am almost certain that EVERYONE will see this problem on their vehicle.

If that were the case, if everyone were to let GM know that they are not happy with this, then maybe something will get done about this. Because, as it stands, I honestly don't see GM putting in the effort to fix this. It doesn't result in a car fire, rollover, or other life-threatening event, so they feel that it is something we have to live with.

I almost got out of my car when we picked up the Envoy last Friday to walk over to a couple looking at a new Envoy on the lot to point out the problem to them, but didn't. I wonder how many of these 'SUV of the Year' or 'North American Truck of the Year' vehicles they can sell if every buyer knew that their paint was going to come off and GM wasn't going to do anything about it.

I just received an email from the GMC Customer Service rep handling my case. She said that they've left a voice mail for this GM Representative and will get back to me.

We'll see. I've got the inkling to sick Mike Turko from San Diego on these guys.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    It sounds like it is class action lawsuit time! That is one way to get GM's attention. The other would be to contact your individual state attorney general's office and ask for their consumer protection division and make a complaint. If enough people in enough states do it at once, that will get their attention.
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    the 4k rpm thing is typical on most cars...GM anyway for sure. it's there to protect the engine. no way that when the car is in anything but a drive gear that it should need to be rev'd above that amount.

it's a safety thing IMO too. I once had the floormat catch the gas pedal of my GTP and causing me to force the car in nuetral while coming up on stopped traffic no less! bounced off that limiter numerous times until I came to a complete stop and was able to fix it.

tim
  • Options
    can someone please post a pic of their Envoy or TB with this paint issue.

mine is fine....no "wax like" look to it or anything....black is black around the license plate surround.

I'm not denying the claim, but I've yet to see a close up pic of someone who has this issue.

I'd love to go see one on the lot, but I'd rather see a pic of someone here who has a problem.

I'll post a pic of my 6k mile TB with no problems later this weekend. The dealer detailed it up for me today when I picked it up.

tim
  • Options
    Yes, it appears that the mirror issue has been fixed!!!!

Knock on wood of course, but all throughout today, it's been fine.

I picked up my TB today that had both the mirror control modules replaced.

Not one mm of movement.

Here's the process as I found it. If my car was started and running, I'd shut it off and lock it with the key fob. Then I would open it and insert the key. The mirrors would move everytime. The only time they did not move is when I didn't use the key fob. All this regardless of the DIC settings for the personal settings 1&2.

NOW: NO PROBLEM.

Here's what the dealer ordered.....I'm not sure if the part# is anything special, but this is how the work order reads:

"Replaced pass and drviers power mirrors actuators/tested ok...per danny"
    "Qty 1, Special Order 15097470"
    "Qty 1, Special Order 15097471"
    "Parts on Special Order"

So, check into the details and if anyone has any questions, please contact Gary Kennedy the Service Manager at Byers Chevrolet in Dublin, Ohio or ask for Larry Smith the Service Advisor who has been nothing but 100% very cool with me throughout my issues. 614-793-4800
  • Options
    tlauro, I'll bring the digital camera from work home this weekend so I can post something.

Also, just a reminder, it isn't the paint around the license plate or plate holder. It's the paint around the large plastic moulding piece that surrounds the area where the license plate and plate holder are.
  • Options
    Again, knock on wood, but while my mirrors where being fixed, I also had the HVAC reprogramed. My guess is that they had to re-do it twice as they kept my car in and mentioned "another" update to the program for the auto climate system.

Now it works great. Not many here have mentioned it, but mine used to blow what I felt was much cooler than expected air to the lower floor vents than any other auto climate car I have owned....and all of mine but one numerous makes and models have had this feature....so I'm not new to them.

Finally, I can start my cold TB and set the heat on 77 and it works like my GTP does. Heat comes on once the vehicle is warm....eventually blows hot air and gradually slows the fan down along with the "slight" drop in air temp and of course it will re-direct the airflow when needed.

I actually drove around for 30 minutes and tried is all out from cold to sweat me out of the truck hot.

Now, let's just cross our fingers that I have AC in the summer!

Anyway, they reprogramed it...and Gary Kennedy of Byers Chevrolet has the program in his email still.

The work order says:

"reprogram heater and climate controls. new up-dated calibration from GM for HVAC. Re-programed BCM with GM Special calibrations. Tested ok. per John."

Lastly, they rotated my tires and changed the oil. Both for $19 and they did use Mobile 1 in mine...not that I asked for it, but they did give me an extra 1/2 quart in a bottle to take with me. Who knows....my parents dealership always used Mobile one on the GMC's we sold and the first one was always free. Thankfully Byers still does this?
  • Options
    cool....do post a pic and email me if you wish....I broadband at home, so raw pic is fine too.

I'm familiar with where the issue is, and have looked at mine. No scrape marks or what not with mine. Looks pretty clean actually. Like I said, I'll post them. Had mine since June too.

tim
  • Options
    envoysleenvoysle Member Posts: 20
    Well, i'm very happy with my Envoy SLE, drove it for a couple of hours and have no noise or problem for now. I don't have the Bose sound system but the basic audio is just fine for me. My last car was a GrandAM GT and man, this truck moves air !

I'm hoping for the best, and I wish that I'll have no problems with it.
  • Options
    flyersruleflyersrule Member Posts: 47
    Tlauro

I am taking my car in for the first time on Monday. I will be taking your printout on the mirros to them. Thanks for the info.

My HVAC has alwyas seemed to work ok, but would sometimtes seem to take awhile to switch to a cooler mode when bright sun was coming in the front. Think I will also have them do the reporgramming while in there.

My biggest concern is the vibration in the peddal. Did you have that problem? Did that issue come up at when you were talking with the regional guy?

Mark
  • Options
    icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    Does anyone have pricing info on OEM mudflaps for the TB? I'm looking for info on the rubber and molded versions.

Thanks.
  • Options
    flyersrule

I have not had a problem with the pedal vibration, but then I never drive between 55-65mph.

Most roads I'm on are 45mph minimum and highways are 65mph minimum.

Regarding the HVAC issue you mentioned....could be the dashboard sun sensor. All they do is plug a Laptop and handheld into your truck under the dash and bingo...they can show you everything with the HVAC. Neat stuff.

Good Luck.

tim
    Go Blue Jackets!
  • Options
    baitisjbaitisj Member Posts: 24
    Hey all:

I, too, would like to see some pictures posted. But here's a tip on how to do it for all of us, from the "GMC Envoy Owners: Photo Gallery" discussion forum here on Edmunds:

Use this coding, but replace the ( and ) with < and >:

(img src="http://a332.g.akamai.net/7/332/936/0001/www.edmunds.com/pictures/77627.jpg")

Or: (img src="Photo URL address")

Someone please post a couple. I'd love to check it out. I haven't checked my rear in any detail yet, but if I find paint problems, I'll take pictures w/my digital cam and put them up.

Regards, image

Jeff

• Options
    andersonpandersonp Member Posts: 6
    I got my TB back yesterday and glad to report that it is back to normal operation. Dealer had to replace the number 3 fuel injector (it was leaking) and a "gas-fouled" spark plug. My TB is running smoothly.
  • Options
    I've read so many posts regarding those that have had the rear hatch repainted and all I can say is it would have to look pretty bad to have them repaint the thing. Repaints are never as good as the original and unless there is a bad unsightly spot, don't do it.

I went this morning and saw a TB LT in the parking lot of the store I was at and now clearly understand what everyone is talking about. It was a blue TB with the paint scrape issue.

Let me just say, it looked like the owner had wax inside the groove. That's my description of it anyway. It's not going to rust anytime soon as it's not eched into the metal, but it appears that it just pushed the blue paint off the surface. Pretty cleanly and consistantly too. Again, it really just looked like car wax. The double galvanized metal in todays cars are much more durable than they used to be and I can't see it rusting.

Not discounting the problem and what not, but just rather saying if you are even remotely considering a repaint for something like the one I saw, get a serious couple of opinions. I'd leave it but that's just me.
  • Options
    sstradersstrader Member Posts: 15
    Gentlemen,

Tlauro, I presume that your TB does not have this problem since you needed to go see one on the lot to see the problem.

I tend to agree with you on the repainting business, especially from a dealer. I have never, and I mean never, had a repainting job done by a dealer that was worth a hang. In 1985, I bought a new Buick Grand National. After having it at home for awhile, I discoverd that the car was solid black from the windshield forward and metallic black from the windshield back. The differences in the two were subtle until you recognized that they were different and then it stuck out like a sore thumb. Now, the car was supposed to be solid black so they repainted the car from the windshield back. The job looked fine until the first time it was in the rain and then the sun came out. The paint blotched terribly on the roof, the trunk deck, etc. with these white blotches which would fade back to black over a few weeks. Needless to say, the dealer was no help in this matter and I ended upgetting rid of the car for that and other reasons.

Here in Northern Virginia, if I were going to have this or any other vehicle painted, I would choose Craftsman Auto Body in Chantilly, Va. I know their work and it is first rate. However, a dealer is not going to let you do that. If they don't have their own body shop, which is typical here, they have contracts with local body shops to do their work. These are low ball shops which are not worth a plug nickel in my opinion.

On the other hand, I understand the feelings of vplaza and others who are upset over this. My Majestic Red 02 ENVOY has the problem also. It looks exactly like you describe, wax down in the groove between the rear hatch and the license plate surround. As a matter of fact, I tried my best to get it out of there until I discovered this forum and the posts on the paint issue started to appear. Then I realized what the problem really was.

It is very upsetting to have a $38K vehicle and to have this type of shoddy design to it. It might be even worse to have a $38K vehicle with this shoddy design and then a shoddy repaint of the shoddy design. I will continue to follow this issue on the forum and to think about the options as to what to do. I would rather find some other way of fixing it without painting but that solution does not readily jump out at me at this point.

Best Regards to All,

Steve
  • Options
    sstradersstrader Member Posts: 15
    Gentlemen,

The color on my 02 Envoy is Magnetic Red, not Majestic Red. Maybe Majestic is the name of the same color on the TB?

Steve
  • Options
    Sorry, I wasn't able to get the code to work to post the pictures of the paint problem here. I'll just post a link to a photo album with the pics.

Also, sorry that the car is a little dirty. It's getting washed today. :)

I believe that the scraping of the paint won't cause the metal to corrode or rust. But if nothing is done about it, eventually, the car will have a white halo around that plastic piece. It may be invisible on light colored Envoys, but it'll stand out on the dark ones.

I still believe that this type of external blemish is not acceptable on a $30k+ automobile.

Click the link below and you can go through the slides and view the pics full size. Sorry about the quality of the pics. If I have time, I'll try to get better resolution pics, but at least this should give you an idea of what to look for and where.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/vplaza96/vwp?.dir=/Envoy

• Options
    pbshannpbshann Member Posts: 20
    Mine looks exactly the same, except my truck is red, and every time I ask the local dealer if they will call GM to see if they have a fix for it yet, they just blow me off. Of course the first time I had them look at it, they said they fixed it. Low and behold when I picked up the truck it had a license plate holder on it proudly displaying the dealers logo, that was their fix! Of course this is coming from the same dealership who knows nothing about the transmission recall eventhough I took them the recall notice GM sent me. Go Figure!
  • Options
    dpointerdpointer Member Posts: 5
    So in that picture the problem is at the bottom of the picture? Or is it all around the edge of the plastic piece?

Does anyone have the part number for the front inside seat mount covers (or caps)? Mine is missing the inside ones but I couldn't find a message with the part number.

Thanks, I really find this forum helpful. I'll be calling the dealership on Monday with the Part numbers to fix my wondering mirrors.

So everyone knows you can defeat the Daytime running lights and the "auto on" night time lights by hitting the "dome defeat" button four times....right?

Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

The problem is all around the plastic moulding piece. What may look like wax residue trapped between the plastic moulding and the paint is actually the paint scraped off showing the gray undercoat (?) underneath.

They start out as small, short lines, but then grow in time.

I tried to get a closeup of one of the larger scrapes on that's on the left of the moulding.