Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    jk23jk23 Member Posts: 1
    When are the GMC Envoy's going to be in the dealerships for test drives?
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Heard at the auto show, production started end of January, will be in dealerships within one month.
  • Options
    billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    Now that GM has released all three vehicle's pricing, albeit without option costs, etc. when will Edmunds have their comprehensive pricing details available?
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Your dealers should see a few units in early march. Bravada should be available in one or two weeks. Equipment packages will be issued in a matter of days. Ford has announced that the 2002 Explorer will be delayed until may, Which is disappointing many dealers as well as new customers. This should give GM the lift they need and get there product into the market first.
  • Options
    baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    bilsorter, where did you see these prices? Have seen info on Envoy but not Trailblazer. Please post or give info. Thanks
  • Options
    trailblazer pricing can be found at www.autoworld.com
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The True Market Value (and the specs) can be found here at Edmumds:

2001 Chevrolet Blazer Trailblazer 2WD 4-Door

Fot the 4x4 or other models (Envoy, etc.), start here:

New Vehicle Prices & Information

Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards
  • Options
    Steve
    The info we're looking for relates to the 2002 models. When will Edmunds have these data?

The Bravada detailed info on base prices and option pricing can be found at www.autosite.com. No info for the Envoy or Trailblazer yet.
  • Options
    Sorry I missed that (wee hours of the morning thing). I don't know when the '02 data will arrive (Drew?). I'll nose around and see what I can find.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    As I recall, it will be quite soon. I believe it may be an early 2002 model?

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
  • Options
    I just watched this week edition of Car and Driver TV. Featured for the first 10 minutes was the all new 2002 Envoy/Trailblazer & Bravada. This will be replayed on Sunday Feb 4th. My cable station shows C/D on TNN. Check your local listings. Anyway, I was in drueling, my wife had to leave the room as she seen my annual bonus go up in smoke. Hope you see this post before then.
  • Options
    Funny, I just watched that very same segment myself. I'm not so much into the Olds Aurora look of the Bravada, but the Envoy and Trailblazer do look quite good. I wish GM had made the rear doors longer though. If you look at the length of the base of the front doors compared to the rear doors, the latter look really short and sort of disproportionate. It also means that getting out of the rear may be more difficult because of the short rear door frame bases (ex. Land Rover Discovery).

Ah well, just my two cents!

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    Yeah, but did they give the '02 pricing out on the air?

Got a URL, baddestbob1? (how did I know you were going to post pricing info next--must be psychic!)

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Chevy has just posted a new and pretty comprehensive page on the Trailblazer. Opening prices: LS $25,755; LT $29,115; LTZ $32,105. Must be for standard equpment on 2WD. Note that the GMC Envoy SLE comes in at $28,200, SLT at $31,595. It will take a little study, maybe more info to compare values. One thing, Envoy is standard 17" tires, alloy wheels, TB is 16", LS shown as Alum wheels, LT as Alum "sport" wheels. Look the same on web pics.
  • Options
    As a matter of fact, they did! Starts from $25K and you can boost the sticker by US$10K just from options alone (note that this is in general for the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Bravada)! The Envoy is supposed to be a higher end version with (fake?) woodtrim and other more upscale goodies (ex. air suspension instead of coil springs). The Trailblazer is supposed to be more of a tough truck version. C&D TV did say that the pricing puts it smack in the middle of the Grand Cherokee's and Explorer's price range.

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I'm drewling over the 2002 GMC Envoy. I passed up on Tahoe and Yukon due to low gas mileage. Living in CA can be very expensive. I heard gasoline may reach $2 a gallon this summer.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of fuel mileage the Envoy has? I was at the LA Auto Show last month and forgot to check out fuel economy.

I kinda liked Toyota Highlander also, but it looks more like a giant station wagon, then a SUV.
  • Options
    chevy page (engine report), suggests mileage of 16/22 on 2wd and 15/21 on 4wd. Somewhere I picked up a weight figure of 5590 from one source, 4442 from someplace else. 5590 looks way high. Looks to me like mid range TB andSLE envoy are very well equipped standard (no leather or roof). I don't want either or AWD. Do have abs, side air bags, trailer package, nice wheels, roof rack etc, etc that come extra on some other same price and cheaper vehicles. My initial read is that you get a little more bang for the buck on a SLE Envoy than on TB mid range LT. Went to GMC site and they list at 5550 and 5750 pounds.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I'll go with about 4500-4600 lbs. No way is it 5500lbs. that is what a Tahoe or a suburban weighs.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The gas mileage on the new models seems to be not quite what it was on the old models. I guess it's the price you pay for an extra 80 horses (190 vs 270 on the new). On the flip side, it's better than any V8.
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    I caught the tail end of the Car And Driver TV review of the new GM mid-SUV's. According the the show, the Trailblazer (not sure about the envoy or bravada) is not an exact replacement for the current Blazer. In fact Chevy will continue to produce the old Blazer until 2003 (why?) and that the Trailblazer was GM's weapon against the larger? Explorer/Durango's of the SUV world.

Whatever it is, gimme!!
  • Options
    thecargonzothecargonzo Member Posts: 31
    Also caught the C&D TV preview, the vehicles had a "larger presence" than I realized, very attractive. Styling is much nicer than the the new
    2002 Explorer. The new Ford is very slab sided, necessary to reduce front bumper height (Wily Clay Ford's appeasement to the anti-SUV, NY Times crowd).

My niece's husband went to the open house at the plant building them (Moraine Assembly, south of Dayton, OH). He stated the reported shutdown awaiting parts is over, estimated they were making 100 units a day, various models.

Chevy will be using the current Blazer platform as a "price leader," to get people in the show room. Of course, having nice shiny new (and more profitable) Trailblazers there is part of the plan! Plus, the Linden, NJ plant that assembles the old version will be making the similar S-10s 'til their re-design in 2003, economy of scale makes it a low-cost risk.
  • Options
    If you like the old model Blazer, it will indeed continue to be made. I think the idea is to cut prices a little and have them compete with "econo-SUVs", like Escape. I think it's worth the extra money to go for the new models though. With the economy slowing, the new models will have decent financing rates by late summer.
  • Options
    This weeks Auto World (the issue probably came out last week) has a great article on the 2002 Envoy. If you are interested in the vehicle, check it out.
  • Options
    Anyone have details on performance? 1/4 mile time & speed, 0-60. Has anyone seen Bravada at dealers yet?
  • Options
    I finally got a chance to see one for myself. My local GMC Dealer tipped me off that they were to receive training today at a near by hotel. So I took a drive over and I have to say the Envoy interior was sweet. The Trailblazer looked very athletic, the Bravada was not that appealing however. I will certainly go for the envoy. The wood grain dash was disappointing. I would rather go for the after market version which is real wood. The back seat was very roomy and the Chrome wheels really dress it up. Happy Trials-blazer.
  • Options
    alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    Can't wait for it either! I use to work for a GM subsidiary (Hughes Electronics) before we were sold off. I still get the GM employee discount so it should knock off some bucks (about $2.5k) from MSRP. I don't know when I'll get it. Maybe wait to see how the extended Envoy (3rd row seat) turns out and have all the 1st year bugs ironed out.
  • Options
    tctobintctobin Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of ordering a 2002 Envoy and was wondering about opinions about 2WD vs. 4WD. . . I really don't forsee off roading, but may do some winter driving (suburban NYC). I'm wondering if I should get the 4WD "just in case" and for resale value. . . any views?
  • Options
    My opinion, adds weight, lots of $$$, expensive repair bills. If you don't need it for off road or a lot of really bad driving conditions save your money, upgrade to an SLT from an SLE instead. You'll get more pleasure from that upgrade and you'll never miss the 4WD. That's what I intend to do anyway.
  • Options
    I have to go with 4wd for rain and snow. I do plan on doing a little towing now and then, however if you concerned about repair then you may want to consider 7/100 mile extended warranty. I definitely thinks its a good deal and adds resale value to your car. GM cars can be solid automobiles and can run like a good Japanese car, although I feel better with additional coverage thru 100k miles. You should definitely negotiate a few hundred dollars off the warranty price. I would also stick with the GM plan.
  • Options
    4WD : Better in bad weather, better resale
    2WD : Better gas mileage, less maintainence, less expensive.

If I get a Trailblazer, I will likely go 2WD even though I live in Ontario where there is a fair amount of snow sometimes. I just don't go anywhere I need 4WD. Even the roads to friends cottages are paved.
  • Options
    jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I read that the 2WD will come with a traction control option. It will help on slippery roads but it won't do you much good if you get stuck in deep snow.
  • Options
    danmac1danmac1 Member Posts: 1
    I found a local dealer who showed me MSRP pricing for the 2002 Trailblazer. It was a memo to dealers titled "introductory pricing" and was dated 1/31/01. The price sheet showed option groups as well as individual options available. The dealer can look up on their computer a description of what option groups include in each package.
  • Options
    jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I was an envoy fan until yesterday. I sat in an Envoy yesterday at the Chicago Auto show. The front end looks great but I was a bit turned off by the rear quarter panels and rear end. It looks rather clunky. The front end, on the other hand, makes you think "this is a luxury SUV". The steering wheel leaves much to be desired as well. The Blazer also suffers from the same clunky back side. The Bravada had the cleanest shape by far but the front end is nothing to get excited about. I was surprisingly impressed with the 2002 explorer design. However, the interior quickly put me to sleep. Functional but boring. We'll see what test drives turn up.
  • Options
    I too sat in the new Envoy and agree that the rear of this car is not what it could have been. I feel that this SUV is better than what GM has produced in the past, however this market is very competitive and I will look at all my options. The interior room is far better and I like the options available on this car. I also looked at the explorer and said nice outside but plane jane inside. The Envoy needs to be driven before passing judgment and I plan to do just that as soon as I can. Consider all your options, after all these cars are getting to expensive to just trade it in after a couple of years.
  • Options
    GMC sent EMail, empty weights 4442/4628, gross vehicle weight fully loaded, 5550/5750
  • Options
    That confirms what C&D said in this months issue, 4450-4600 lbs. They also said that the engines are a little noisy at high rpms. I think edmund's said this also a couple of months ago.

Hopefully, a little more sound insulation would help. Usually straight sixes are smoother and quieter than most.

I think GM should back off of the prices a little.
    $32,000 for a 2wd without all of the options is pretty steep. A 4wd with sunroof, bose and leather has got to be $35-36,000.
  • Options
    blake777blake777 Member Posts: 6
    C&D magazine stated the 0-60 specs to be 8.5 seconds. Not too bad for 4500 lbs.
    The 2002 Explorer V8, 0-60 specs were listed
    as 8.9 in a recent C&D article.

Other stats on the Envoy:
    Width= 174-175 inches
    Lenth=191 inches

Can't remember what the height is....but
    I think they said it was 8 inches taller
    than the old model.
  • Options
    C&D's time is an estimate. I fully expect it to do it in the mid 8s and i know it will be quicker than the ford.
  • Options
    I visited my local GMC dealer today and ordered my new Envoy SLT. Are you ready? MSRP with all the goodies' $37,570.00----OUCH! Don't think I am crazy, we get a GMO price, thanks to my in-laws who work for GM. The break down is, Base-33,820.00 with 3,150.00 total options and destination charge 600.00.

The following is direct from GM Training guide on 2002 Envoy.

Overall Length 191.6
    Overall Height 74.5
    Overall Width 74.7
    Turning Diameter 36.4
    EPA 16/22 (2wd)
    0-60 is 8.0 (estimated)

This vehical is 8" longer 8" taller & 7" wider

If I did not have GM employee pricing, I would have had to look around a little before doing this.
  • Options
    Instead of milking its customers GM should price
    these vehicles to gain market share. How are they going to capture sales from explorer if they are priced the same?
    They should start at $24,900 and top out at 34,900.
  • Options
    How much did you end up paying? I'm assuming there will be no finance deals when these trucks hit the market.
  • Options
    If you have a family member at GM you can save 14% off the MSRP, I paid $32,300.00.You can go to www.priceline.com they have the 2002 Envoy pricing.
  • Options
    Any delivery date given to you?

Unfortunately I have no relatives at GM. :-(
  • Options
    I was told 8-10 weeks. If additional incentives are rolled out by time I take delivery, i.e. special financing or rebates. I can take advantage of them as well, however the dealer explained that is not very likely I would see any in May or June. But they did not know for sure, it really depends on sales of the Envoy and the economy.
  • Options
    morelockmorelock Member Posts: 7
    After reviewing the pricing of all 3 GM new SUV's it seems like the pricing is so similar that it besides the Trailblazer LS being cheaper than any of the other 4x4's, it really comes down to looks. To me, clearly the Envoy is the choice as it just looks smooth. Other may like the roughness and truck look of the Trailblazer. But the Bravada, while okay with looks, just seems like a dud because of possibly have a resale problem in only a few years. One would think GM would price each a little more apart with Trailer blazer lowest and Envoy highest. I would think the Bravada, even though nicely loaded would need to lower the price because of Olds going away - maybe that will wait for the rebates to help its sales. Can't wait to test drive all 3, but from what I have read and scene, the Envoy is the way to go.
  • Options
    hiker1hiker1 Member Posts: 9
    The Kelly Bluebook website (kbb.com) has posted the prices for the GM threesome.
  • Options
    alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    jimxo,
    The dealer told my buddy the same delivery on his GMO purchased Sub. That it would take a couple of months, but he finally took delivery 8 months later. Had to do with parts not being readily available and dealer alotment. Did not see a pwr moonroof option on Priceline specs. Also, do you know if HID headlamps come with the '02 like the previous years model? Only saw Composite Halogen from Priceline.
  • Options
    Interesting to see the info on vehicle costs and available options. First note: TB basic price on2WD LT and LTZ sjows MSRP of $600 less than Chevvy website, Envoy stayed the same.
    A TB 2wd LT model with 1SE option includes leather and lots of other good stuff comes to $30,375MSRP opposed to Envoy SLT at $31,595.
    I have a couple questions. TB lists as options both G 80 Limited slip rear axle $270 and NW7 Traction Assist at $195 MSRP. Huh?
    Also lists option tires OWL at $140 (for 5) instead of same size BSW standard. Someone please clue me
  • Options
    ejzejz Member Posts: 18
    Some where earlier in this discussion I remeber a question about the entry into the back seats. I had a chance to climb around in one of these at the Houston Auto show and found the back door was a little short. It was no where near as bad as the Discovery II back entrance where you have to be a contortionist to get in but I was expecting better. Kind of reminded me of a Grand Am I had as a rental car once, had to be careful not to hit your head on the door getting out of the back seat. The 2002 mountaineer was much easier to get in and out of however it was also a whole lot plainer on the inside. I was also disappointed at the front seats in the trailblazer. Having test driven a 2001 Tahoe LT which has to have some of the most comfortable front seats around, the trailblazer was no where near as comfy. Hoping maybe the Bravada or Envoy seats will be a little better. Local dealer here says he should have a 2002 Bravada any time and has a couple of Envoy's on the way. Not sure this is really what I am looking for but will let you know my impressions after I get a chance to drive.