Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Man, reading all these posts has just cinched it for me! The next generation 4Runner coming this fall is looking better all the time...

;o)
  • sicksofarsicksofar Member Posts: 4
    Hi ajmrn30,

I've noticed the clicking seat also. I figure it's the material, leather in my case, that puckers down underneath the plastic shroud for the seat controls as I lean over to get out. When I move off the seat, the material pops out, snapping the plastic.

It's a theory. I'm going to try applying clear shipping tape or something to both the seat and the shroud, hoping to force the two different materials to slide past each other when I get out.

I just know that as the plastic ages, either through work failure or crystallization from the heat, it's going to break.

Good luck.
  • racoonlodgeracoonlodge Member Posts: 34
    tbcreative: bet EVERYTHING they say on the 4runner discussion forum is perfect, no problems, electrical or non. Maybe we ALL should turn in our vehicles and run over to That manufacturer, Since there are no problems. Sounds like the boy that cried wolf....See ya there!
  • jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    I may be off-base here, but tbcreative has said the same thing twice in the past few days. He may be a troll looking to start a "discussion". I wanted to respond the first time but chose not to, because it would have added nothing to this forum.

It may just be best to ignore him.

Tbcreative, I am not trying to start anything, but we heard you the first time. I hope that you are happy with your decision and that your 4runner is flawless. I am sure you would hope that for all of us triplet owners.

JAW
  • ajsimonajsimon Member Posts: 1
    Occasionally on first startup of the day, any season, the truck engine roars, and it will not shift from 1st gear. Drive for five minutes and
    the engine roar stops and the transmission shifts, with no further problem.

Dealer is unable to replicate.
    Anyone know what this is about?
  • ajmrn30ajmrn30 Member Posts: 7
    Sicksofar---

Please let me know how your "fix" goes. The click is definitely something that I can live with, I just want to know that I am not damaging anything in the meantime.

Anthony
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    How chilly was the weather? I know on the Subaru ATs, it is stated in the manuals that it will not shift to 4th gear (overdrive) if the transmission temp is below 35 degrees, so on cold mornings it may take 5 minutes or more to warm up. Perhaps the TB has a similar system?

-mike
  • calucykcalucyk Member Posts: 35
    I wouldn't trade my Bravada in for nothing! I have a friend that bought a 02 4Runner. It's been to the shop for several issues. His main gripe is how under powered the 4Runner is. I believe it has a whole 181 HP. He's been talking about installing a TRD super charger.
    I guess you guys didn't read my posts very well. I DON'T CURRENTLY own a 4Runner because when I ordered my '98 GMC Jimmy back in the fall of '97, I thought there were too many things the 4Runner lacked, like power and comfort.

I'm talking about the ALL-NEW 4Runner coming this fall that's based on the same new platform as the GX 470. It's going to be VERY DIFFERENT, and make up for and surpass everything the '02 lacks. I don't even know if I'm going to buy one yet as I haven't even seen a picture of one, because Toyota is being so secretive, and I really won't know until I've been able to drive one.

I've been frustrated and disappointed with GM for not offering some version of the Trailblazer or Envoy for those of us who actually go off-roading on rough stuff. So I came to this forum to see what people were saying about them, or to see if anyone was talking about putting an inexpensive lift on their truck. Then I read about all the problems with the electrical systems, which my dad and uncle have experienced with their Envoy and Trailblazer. For those reasons, combined with my experience with being a GM owner since I got my driver's license 18 years ago, and the problems I've had with my Jimmy, I've decided to look elsewhere.

Racoonlodge, I'm not sure what you mean by "cry wolf," because that would imply I'm teasing about something, so that makes no sense. If you mean I'm giving up the good fight before the battle is won, then you'd be right. I've been a GM loyalist and owner, scoffing at foreign cars for as long as I can remember, so I think I've earned that right. But the older I get, the less I want to deal with service on my automobile. And while they still have problems, there's a good reason Toyota is still #1 in quality. I've had it with my GMC, so I've decided to keep an open mind for my next SUV.

Jwinky, I only came to this forum to see if there was anything here to change my mind about the Trailblazer/Envoy. I wasn't "trolling." When I read all the stuff here, it gave me more reason to shy away from the GMT 360s, which has been a struggle for me because I do think they're really great-looking SUVs.

I'm sorry I used this platform to vent, but I was also hoping someone would challenge me enough to reconsider the TB or Envoy. I didn't want to make people defensive or ignore me, I wanted to be challenged in an intelligent discussion. I didn't plan on attacking anyone, because I'm a GM guy myself, not some jerk looking for a foreign vs. domestic debate. If these trucks aren't worth a decent discussion, and people are using poor grammar like "I wouldn't trade my Bravada in for NOTHING," then I should look elsewhere.

Sorry for the disruption. I sincerely hope you enjoy your trucks, and they give you little or no problems.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    No need to apologize... I think people were just afraid that you were another of the many "Brand Zealots"! You're right, the TB, Envoy, and Bravada will never be considered serious off-road vehicles.... at least not without serious modifications. That being said, I don't think that segment was their target audience anyway. I too love my Bravada, and wouldn't trade it in for anything. Well, I might consider for a new Landcruiser... but at $20K less, I don't think anyone's going to jump at that! Both the Sequoia and LC are overpriced when you price them decked with the same options as the triplets. To date, the 4runner has never felt plush enough for me... even the limited. We'll see, things could change in 2003.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I'm not offended by your comments. That's what is great about America, we can all think and say what we want. I have had my Envoy for 11 months and 14,000 miles. It has had a few of the minor issues, but nothing major. I love it and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Beware of jumping off the Toyota cliff. They are not always as great as many people think. I have a good friend who can hardly wait to dump her 2001 Sequoia. What a lemon. She has had nothing but problems. Another challenge with the '03 4 Runner will be getting any dealer to negotiate or even not add a bunch of dealer pads to jack up the price. I will never pay MSRP or above for a vehicle. But, if you have the $ and don't mind being raped, then it is your business. As I said earlier, I love my Envoy and would recommend it to anyone. At any rate, I hope you love your new Toyota and that you don't have any problems with it. I hope you are as satisfied with it as I have been with my Envoy.
    Thanks, guys! That's all I was looking for; a little interaction. I really appreciate your input, and I'm going to do a lot more research after reading what you said about your friend with the Sequoia, hardhawk. I'm far from making up my mind on my next SUV, and have never paid over dealer invoice, so I'm in no hurry to buy anything in September when the '03 4Runner hits the dealerships. I'll probably wait until after the first of the year, not only for the kinks in the new platform to show up for recalls and such, but that's when Toyota will add the new V6 to the line-up, as they're only offering the new V8 when the 4Runner launches this fall.

I want to be sure to test drive both before I make a decision. With the V8 rated at 235hp and 320 lbs/ft of torque, but the new V6 making 245hp and 283 lbs/ft, it will be interesting to see how each drives. I will be holding both engines up to the standards set by the awesome Vortec in-line 6 in the GMT 360s, of course. If they don't compare to GM, then forget Toyota altogether!
    Ajsimon,

Welcome to the fan roar club! I believe what you are describing is the jet engine a lot of us have experienced. For a lot of us, it is very sporadic and I can see no other way except sheer luck that the dealer would be able to duplicate. Depending on the build date of your your TB, there is a TSB for the reprogram of some of the software to reduce this problem. My Envoy was built in April of 02 and I have this happen about every two weeks. A nuisance, yes, but I can live with it for now. Check Tim Lauro's website for the TSB (timlauro.com)

TBCreative,

I wasn't sure why you were here, and I may have been a bit harsh with the 'troll' comment. Please accept my apology. I absolutely LOVE my Envoy. As you can see, it is a fairly recent build, and I have only had the fan engagement on startup. A nuisance, but I can live with it for now. I have faith in GM to fix it (did I just doom myself and everyone else with that comment?). Other than that, the vehicle has been a gem.

I had a 98 Honda Civic Coupe and an 86 Toyota Corolla, that was handed down to me by my mom, before the Envoy. The Toyota was bullet proof. It had 180k miles when I get rid of her, with the only problems being the tape player no longer worked and I believe a crack in the distributor housing (never verified, but the symptoms led me to that). Comparing quality between my old Civic and my Envoy, they are about the same. I think that says a lot about GM.

One other thing to watch for with Toyota is a sludge problem. I have seen a discussion on TH about this but did not investigate. Not sure if it is a real problem, but may be worth looking into.

Unfortunately, a lot of times these forums, like many other things in life, only relay the bad, when there may be many times more good stories that go untold.

Hope this has helped, and again, I apologize for my earlier post. I look forward to any input you may have, and that you get a problem-free vehicle, whatever you decide to buy.

JAW
  • bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    I'll wait for the new 03 abusive intruder model ###. Mr becreative you can wait all you want. I used to believe that but your exuberance will last all of about 1 year. I used to think I'll just wait for the newest model to hit the floor. Yes I paid dearly for the latest and greatest sportbike to come out, but low and behold those brainy little japanese engineers steped it up a notch not 10 months later. Funny thing had I "waited" just 10 months I could have gotten second best for $K less.
    Live and learn
    No need to apologize, jwinky. I've seen the "trolling" type on other boards and all they are is destructive to what should be a constructive discussion. I admit my original postings looked that way on the surface.

Thanks for the heads-up on the sludge thing. That's something I've been reading about on numerous Toyota forums, and seems to be something Toyota is addressing and concerned about with their new models coming out. Supposedly they have a handle on it and it won't be a factor with the 2 new engines for the 4Runner, but you can bet I'll be watching that issue very closely.

I'm glad you like your Envoy and that the quality has measured up to your past experiences with Toyota and Honda. That's encouraging to hear! My dad sure loves his SLT. Whenever I see a black Envoy with custom wheels and tires, gleaming in the Arizona sun at my GMC dealer, the thought runs through my mind that maybe I should give up all the crazy off-roading and get that beautiful truck. Then I glance over at my black Jimmy with the off-road package and 30"x9.50" BFG All-Terrains, and I'm back to my same conundrum...(Big sigh)

Mr. Carter, thanks for your insight, but if you read my rather lengthy posts about the next generation 4Runner, you'll see it's well worth the wait, and will be around in that form for at least 6 years after it comes out. Of course there will be improvements along the way, but the difference between the current model and the '03 coming in September is so HUGE, that changes during the next year or so won't be as significant. I'll just be happy to have an option with everything I'm looking for.

Beside, I'm not ready to buy a new SUV until after the first of the year anyway. Who knows, I may wait until the following fall if I'm not satisfied, which is when I may have even more choices, like the re-designed Pathfinder. I appreciate your concern, but I know all about jumping too soon. Computers are a great example of that. I do extensive research before I make any major purchases, and find out as much inside scoop as I can about what the future holds, and I'm confident I'll make the right choice with my next SUV.
  • dinsmoor17dinsmoor17 Member Posts: 4
    I asked if anyone has had a rattle in the front end and did not get any responce.Post #6200.The dealer says this is a common problem and GM has not figured out a fix. It's suppose to be in the steering column but i have read 6600 posts and not seen the problem once. Could the dealer be giving me a line of bull ? Should I ask to have a GM service rep. to look into it?
  • hmaximohmaximo Member Posts: 22
    Does GM have an official fix for the mirror wind noise yet?
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I read that noise is caused by the viscuous fan clutch, the oil that couples the fan to the hub settles when parked and the fan engages for the first few minutes of operation until it disengages.

This poster said his'95 truck does the same thing.

Anyone care to confirm?
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hey Gang,

I "kind of" made an amazing discovery this past week about the triplets that I wanted to share with you.

This past Friday, I helped envoy2002's mother with the purchase of her new 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada. While on a test drive with the vehicle that she wanted to purchase, I noticed that when I placed the vehicle into reverse, the DIC displayed "Curbside Assist Mirrors Engaged." Well, of course that freaked me out because mine is a 2002 GMC Envoy and doesn't display that in the DIC screen when in reverse?? Also, I noticed that the build date stamped on her Bravada was 5/02. I touched base with several other triplet owners and they also stated that their triplets display "Curbside Assist Mirrors Engaged" as well. Additionally, they too have build dates of 4/02 & 5/02??

Does anyone have any idea on when this modification was added to the DIC? Actually, I find it quite impressive myself and would like to get ahold of the programming bulletin number so that I can have my local dealer program mine to display this as well. I would think that in order to gain this function, they would simply have to erase the current program in memory and replace it with the new one correct? Similar to how they are currently handling other programming items.

Anyone have any additional information that they would like to share concerning this? Of course a service program or calibration code would be wonderful!

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
    Funits...

You mentioned in your post # 6272 that there was a TSB out that addressed the "Rear End Chatter" problem on the triplets? Would you be so kind as to mention where you found this TSB or possibly e-mail a copy to me? I am experiencing the same issue with my 2002 GMC Envoy SLT & would like to have the appropriate TSB in hand when I do decide to take it in for service.

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Removing the mrrors apparently does the trick ...
  • dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    License plate tailgate fix is not 100% cure. I'm sure all of you know about he fix for the platic housing where they install the rubber gasket. Anyways this fix is not completely reliable. I've had the fix for about two months without problem, but this weekend I went up to Tahoe for the weekend. When I got home to unload my gear I noticed the rubber gasket was totally warped. Part of it was underneath the housing. The rest of it was all curled up like it was melted or something. I'm pretty cheesed offf about this as I was hoping this would fix the tailgate problem. I cant imagine it was the heat that did it as its been much warmer at home these past few months then it was in Tahoe. I wonder if the altituf=de had anything to do with it. Anyways I suggest everyone keep an eye out for theirs in case anything pops its head up. I guess I gotta go back to the dealer this week and get a new gasket put in. Damn tis problem is really cheesing me off.
  • biggie4852biggie4852 Member Posts: 34
    Anyone add cd player?I would like to add six disc changer under front set and local best buy will install for a good price. But I wonder if going to the dealer is the safe but more costly way.
  • johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    IExplore, I don't have the curb side mirrors on my TB LT, but I know there are differences in either the control module or software that gives different messages/options. I had to have my rear washer fixed (would not function when depressing washer button). The fix was to replace the body control module. This also required reprogramming all the driver options, lock, unlock, DIC language, ect. It also "fixed" an issue I really hadn't discovered, storing driver 1 & 2 radio presets, HVAC last used settings. I also have a new setup option in the DIC in regards to memory positions for the driver seat for Driver 1 & 2. I don't have the memory seat option. My build date is 04/2001, so I assume it's a software upgrade that needs to be performed for you to see the new messages.
  • anjin_navanjin_nav Member Posts: 18
    Tlauro:

I have a friend that works with the GMT360 program, Tim, and he has given me some pretty good info here. The problem is indeed the viscous clutch for the cooling fan. On occasion, when the fan is in use when you shut the vehicle down, it shuts down engaged. On most occasions, the fluid will drain overnight. However, sometimes the fan stops in an orientation that prevents drainage, leaving the clutch engaged. When you start up the next morning, the fan starts up at full speed--just when your vehicle speed is low and you hear it best. Once the fan spins out the fluid, it stops. They are working on fixes to control it, but he's not sure when they'll be implemented.

Iexplore:

Looks like GM is reading these posts and listening to the customer. Sounds like a software change to me.

tbcreative:

As someone who's read every one of these 6300 posts, I can't blame jwinky for thinking you were a troll in your first posts--it's happened before. That's too bad because this forum is very well focused (try reading the CTS forum or the Explorer forum!) with helpful comments. It's good to hear you're not one of them. Also, I'm not sure I'd want to take my $35,000+ vehicle off-roading. However, Motor Trend magazine had an article in last September's magazine that found the Envoy did pretty well in their Death Valley Torture Test. If that's not tough enough, the Hummer H2 is less than a month away!

• funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    iexplore2000,

I obtained the TSB for "Locking Rear Drive Axle Chatter in Turns" (Document ID # 761625) off the GM site when we all could gain access.

It states:

Checks:
    "The lubricant is contaminated"
    Action:
    "Drain and flush the axle housing thoroughly. Refill with the correct lubricant. Refer to Lubricant Change in Rear Drive Axle."

Checks:
    "The clutch plates are deteriorated."
    Action:
    "Replace the clutch plates. Refer to Locking Differential Cam Unit Disassemble and Locking Differential Cam Unit Assemble."

My dealership replaced the lubricant in the axle housing (synthetic gear oil according to the Tech) under warranty. This morning the rear end did not chatter at the spot it normally would. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I believe a member of this forum has a website which lists all the GM Triplet TSBs.
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    GM has had a problem with the intermediate steering shaft in all their trucks since the new body styles came out in 1999. I have had the shaft replaced in both of my silverados. My boss had the shaft replaced in her Tahoe. The TH threads for the "big" GM trucks are full of this problem. I was very suprised, after reading over 6000 posts in this thread that you seem to be the only one with this problem. Maybe GM finally got a good batch for the triplets and you just happened to be the .01% that got a bad one.

Originally, GMs fix was to replace the shaft. Now, they just lubricate it and hope the problem won't show up again until the warranty period expires.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Nope. No rattle in my TrailBlazer's steering column. Not a " common problem" with mine anyway. Mfg 11-01. I suppose the majority of others do not have a rattle either or you would have received more response.
    Last Wednesday, while driving my wife's new TB I noticed that the temperature was beginning to climb above the 210 mark. While driving it on the hiway, it stayed at about 195. When it got up to 245, I pulled off the road and let it cool down. I never heard the fan come on and from what I read on this thread, there is no mistaking the sound of the fan coming on.

I took it directly back to the service dept and left it with them to fix. The service mgr called me later and informed me that he was able to get the temp up to 235 and that the fan engaged at 220. That didn't make a lot of sense to me. If the fan came on at 220, why did the temp continue to rise? The two things that immediately came to mind were, something is stopped up or a bad water pump.

Well, here it is Monday, 5 days later and the service dept still hasn't found the problem. I still think that the fan is not coming on, even though they told me it comes on at 220. They informed me Friday that they now have the GM regional service rep involved. Evidently, they have never seen this problem and they have never worked on one of the new viscous damped electronically engaged clutches before.

Will let you know how it turns out. Anyone else having a problem with overheating?
  • pcrisppcrisp Member Posts: 22
    I have noticed since day one, that when I go over a bump, or into my garage at the right angle, it sounds like one or more of the doors are loose. Kind of like the sound from when a door isn't shut good and you hear a jarring rattle over bumps. Does something need tightened?
  • bakednutbakednut Member Posts: 17
    hey paisan .... i carry around an extra set of bulbs too .... i HATE it when im driving and a light goes out ..... im really anal about night vision. and when one light goes out it drives me nuts. PLUS it is an eye sore. i carry all sorts of stuff packed away in my truck (flashlights, jumper cables, bungee cord, first aid kit, flares, tools, maps, knife,ax .... the last 2 dont make me sound crazy do they??).... i do have an air compressor ... only i dont carry it around all the time cuz i dont like it clunking around in the back. I have bungee cords to hold down the thing when i do have it in tho. also does anyone have that cooler that plugs into the rear AC outlet? i was wondering if that thing is loud. i aways carry water in my car, as i get thirsty ALL the time. so i would like to keep my water cold. anyone who has left a almost new bottle of water in the car in the middle of july will know how disgusting it can be.
    Im not a pack rat by nature ... i normally like to just "wing it" most of the time. but i just like to get stuff to put in my truck. =P
  • bakednutbakednut Member Posts: 17
    OK .... im driving down NJ turnpike last week .... i called up my girlfriend to tell her i was on my way. now all you people who are against people using their cell phones while driving ..... relax i was using a headset and my phone has voice dial. so.... im listening to the phone ringing and i realize it isnt only in the ear that has the headset in it ..... i can hear it from both ears. the ringing was coming from the speakers. then i looked at the stereo and it was reading out PHONE! you kno when you hold a cell phone by speakers or the headunit you tend to get interference .... well i think it was something like that. but when my girfriend answered i could hear her. i thought it was cool as hell. but i couldnt understand what was happening. i kno that you can make phone calls from the onstar unit and you would hear it from the speakers, but i BARELY touch my rear view mirror. well after i hung up the stero kicked back to the CD and start playing music again. I have not been able to duplicate the incident. Anyone experience this? or know what in the "trailblazes" happened?
    Dinsmoor,

Can you describe the rattle in more detail? When it occurs, what it sounds like, etc.

Funits and Iexplore2000,

Can you describe the chatter in more detail? Or is it another one of those 'You will know when you have it' kind fo problems?

Thanks,
    JAW
    Last Wednesday, while driving my wife's new TB I noticed that the temperature was beginning to climb above the 210 mark. While driving it on the hiway, it stayed at about 195. When it got up to 245, I pulled off the road and let it cool down. I never heard the fan come on and from what I read on this thread, there is no mistaking the sound of the fan coming on.

I took it directly back to the service dept and left it with them to fix. The service mgr called me later and informed me that he was able to get the temp up to 235 and that the fan engaged at 220. That didn't make a lot of sense to me. If the fan came on at 220, why did the temp continue to rise? The two things that immediately came to mind were, something is stopped up or a bad water pump.

Well, here it is Monday, 5 days later and the service dept still hasn't found the problem. I still think that the fan is not coming on, even though they told me it comes on at 220. They informed me Friday that they now have the GM regional service rep involved. Evidently, they have never seen this problem and they have never worked on one of the new viscous damped electronically engaged clutches before.

Will let you know how it turns out. Anyone else having a problem with overheating?
  • toppergetopperge Member Posts: 2
    There is an answer to your radio problems Metra has created a T-Harness that allows you to relocate the radio somewhere else in the vehicle allowing you to retain all your functionality. It also has a split that comes off the radio and hooks up to a little speaker to let you retain onstar. I have relocated mine under the rear seat and hooked it up to the rear seat audio controls allowing me to have my radio up front and my rear seat passengers have their own.
    Here are the Metra part numbers (Metraonline.com)
    T-Harness 70-2003T
    Door Chime SP-2003
    On Star Extension 70-2005

Good luck, its not the most fun install in the world. BestKits also make something but I have no experience with it
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    What you had happen is called On Star Personal Calling. You can use the On-Star system to place handsfree calls. When you do it the stereo mutes and displays PHONE and the DIC readout displays the number you are dialing. It is very slick. Now, if you were using a separate cell phone when this happened, I have NO CLUE as to what may have taken place. Is your cell phone hard wired into the vehicle or a free standing handheld unit? If you were using a separate phone, then it obviously interfaced with your On-Star system in some way.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    Same thing happened here, there is a TSB for this condition, have your dealer do the update
  • dva10dva10 Member Posts: 6
    The rattle sounds like something is loose in the left front end when you go over small washboard type it is when i notice it the most. This is very aggravating at slow to moderate speeds.
  • dieselnerddieselnerd Member Posts: 12
    It happened to me today on my Trailblazer LT. Had parked it at a mall in 94 degree heat, shopped for about 15 minutes and back to the vehicle. I started it up and drove off. When I got to a stoplight at the mall entrance I noticed I had no instruments at all. It acted as if the ignition was off. I turned off the key (light was red) and restarted the engine. Still no instruments, had to shift into drive by "feel" since the indicator was also out. I had more errands to run and at my next stop after I parked, I switched the key off, removed the key, reinserted the key and turned it on again without starting, no lights at all on the dash. I planned to check out the circuit in my service manual after I got home to check for a fuse but when I finished my errand and got back in the car, it worked normally again. Has this happened to others? I recall a similar post a while back but couldn't find it.
  • kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    The thud that sounds like a loose door is actually the hood. Just lube the hood posts and the sound will go away.

Has anyone installed an XM or Sirius Satellite radio in one of the triplets? I'm thinking of installing the Jensen Sirius Radio and was wondering how much hassle it would. I'm thinking of placing the antenna at the rear, running the wiring to the rear seat, placing the radio electronics under the rear seat near the Onstar unit (and getting the power from the rear fuse block) and the controller unit attached to the center console.

A while back someone stated that they had a pdf file of the rear of the Envoy's in dash radio. If I can get a copy it would be greatly appreciated.
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    I tried this out on my Envoy and it did the same thing. I know when I bought the truck this did not happen because I initally had the tilt mirrors setup but with the wandering problem, turned off all the auto mirror stuff. I had all the TSBs done a month ago but had not tried the curb mirror feature until now. I agree that it is kinda cool. This thing has more features than you can shake a stick at. Now if they could just make some dirt repellant paint... ;-)
  • kimodokimodo Member Posts: 44
    dieselnerd

This happened to me earlier this year. All the instruments were dead, but the car was running fine. Was about to go to boston, but wasn't going to take a chance. Played around with the car and somehow got the instruments to work, but they did it on their own initiative. Turned the engine on a off several times and nothing happened, until it wanted to turn on the instruments itself. Another poster way back said it happened to him when he left his gate ajar and hit an bump or something. Who knows, seems like they've got a mind of their own. But wanted to let you know that it happened to me as well.
    lurker01...

Do you happen to know if your service visit invoice states a recalibration code for the wandering mirrors? I am wondering if your dealer may have applied some update to the system that now displays "curbside assist mirrors engaged?" I swear that I am dying to have this update applied to my Envoy.. it kind of gives it a "super high-tech" edge if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
    Got the wife's TB back yesterday. Dealer replaced the fan clutch. Won't know till Wednesday if this fixed the problem.
  • edl55347edl55347 Member Posts: 46
    Johntr, your post(#6300) indicated that your TB LT has storabe settings for both driver 1 and driver 2.
    A while back I checked into this, but I was told that driver 1 & 2 settings do not work in the LT. Your post indicates they do. I have a build date of 8/01.
    Do you know what was done to get these settings active, including the seat positions.

Thanks
  • dieselnerddieselnerd Member Posts: 12
    dshepard3, I searched the TSB's at Alldata, see link:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/11/0211AWJ2.html

The only one about instruments doesn't apply since it concerns erratic operation not no operation. My TB was built in March 2002 and already has that fix included.

Kimodo, thanks for your comments, that's exactly what happened to mine.
  • john9907john9907 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any experienece with the battery going dead on the triplets? I went out to start my bravada this morning and the battery was completly dead. When I finally got the truck started the clock was stopped at 12:17. I watched for a minute to see it it would start to move and it did not. I timed it using my wrist watch. I thought that maybe the clock in the bravada was like the one on my VCR it would start to flash 1200 after a power failure. So what I am wondering is what would kill a battery in less than 4 hours? Any Ideas please let me know
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    Well, I don't have it but I have something close to it. After a good coat of Zymol wax, I was still washing my car every 2 weeks since my pewter Envoy is like a dirt magnet. I have since invested in one of those car dusters treated with carnuba wax, and wow, just 5 minutes of dusting every other day and it's been 2 months since I've had to wash it.

Of course it hasn't rained here forever...
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Sounds like the microprocessor in the radio locked up if it did not start counting the minutes. If the radio locked up when you parked it, maybe it left some radio circuits "on" and drained the battery? Just a speculation. My old '88 S-10 used to occasionally lock up the radio when I would turn off the key, sometimes causing random segments on the display to be lit up other times no indication at all til the next time I drove it and the radio would be dead. One time it locked up with the volume wide open! Each time it did this, I had to pull the unswitched 12V fuse to the radio to reset it. The fix finally was - replaced the radio with another Delco ( the one with 5-band eq, AM-ST, FM-ST, Cassette) How long did it sit from the last time all was well and you parked it? Did you reset the clock time - did it start keeping time after setting it? Did you hook up another vehicle to jump-start it or did you recharge the battery? Sometimes hooking up jumper cables can send a glitch to a microprocessor and cause weird things - lock-up etc.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Maybe you need to get Bill Gates to release TB v1.1 ;)

-mike