Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    If you think $796 is bad, how about $1038??

1. Rear Bumper Cover = 395.45 (EST, yay $0.04 cheaper than icojones's dealer!)
    2. Paint $124.20!
    3. 1.6 hours of body labor $120
    4. 4.0 hours of refinish labor $345
    Plus disposal fee, tax etc. $1038.62
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Where did you see any reference to being a "menace to society" or anything regarding A. Bunker? I don't quite understand the reference but in my experience, people who aren't satisfied with the above average stereos in today's cars are the same ones who need to play their stereo loud. If you are saying that was some kind of a racial stereotype, then I suggest YOU have the problem with "Hasty Generalization" and not me.

For the record, I have been indirectly involved in the automotive industry all of my life. I've always looked at cars as transportation and a major expense (I can't stand it when people use the term "investment" about an automobile as nothing that is made to constantly lose value can be termed an "investment"). I've also never understood why people would spend money (or, as experience has shown, put themselves further in debt) on stereo equipment. I do have a prejudice about people who are "wrapped up" in their car stereo system. There is no way one can focus on driving (to the extent that one needs), not to mention hear emergency vehicles, while the music is blaring and they are singing.

That you just assume that only certain people have expensive stereos or listen to their music too loud is something you need to deal with yourself.
  • sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    All I ever said was that I put an aftermarket stereo in my car. I never asked for commentary. I never suggested I was increasing the value of my investment. I never said I had a 500 watt triple woofer boom machine. I spend a lot of time in my car and I believed it to be worth my money to improve the performance of the audio so my time in the car for the next 6 or 7 years I plan to own it will be more enjoyable! All I really was looking for was someone who might have some technical knowledge about my vehicle, which it appears many contributers to this site do (and I look forward to learning from them). I also stated that everything in my car was great until the vandalizm took place!

What I got from you was advice to "put it back to stock because you'll never get it to sound good anyway". It did sound great (great does not equal loud, by the way), way better than and for less $$ than the top of the line GM system. And you provided a testimonial that the GM engineers taylored that system to the car's interior! Gag me! Have you seen the components they use? The speakers look like they came out of a transistor radio!

Then, to top if off, you automatically assumed that I must be one of those guys who "forces" everyone to listen to my music from 100 ft away! That is quite a jump, especially since the people who spend most on audio equipment are generally classical and jazz music fans-one time through an issue of "Stereo Review" magazine will confirm.

I guess I should be thankful! I ask for a little tech advice and I got so much more!

My next post will be a serious request for technical, factual information regarding my vehicle!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I sense a bit of over-reaction here. Lots of people upgrade their rides with all kinds of aftermarket stuff to make their commute easier. I've stuck in aftermarket radios in cars before , and I have a tin ear and a copy of the "boom box" ordinance on my desktop (ours is a $100 fine - 50 feet one).

Besides, what else are you going to "invest" in - the stock market, LOL?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    I just looked at this site recently and I am concerned at all of these TB problems everyone is havning. I bought mine in August, 01 (2 Wheel Drive) and I have had no trouble at all, other than a vibrating power steering line, which was fixed. I also think the outdoor temp readout is a little unpredictable. I just turned over 20K miles and really like it.

I have read a lot of posts above with a lot of TSB's about things like Mufflers, License Gaskets, FAns running, wandering mirrors, front suspension welds breaking, air shocks leaking, etc. I also moved about 2 months after I took delivery. Should I have been receiving notifications from GM? Can someone summarize some of these issues or tell me how to learn more? Is there a TSB web page I can check out? It might have been better if I had not known-now I am wondering if there is trouble ahead!
    TSB summary info can be found here:

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Only recall info generally gets mailed out - lots of TSB's are specific to limited model runs or just for certain options or parts combinations. Lots of people read TSBs and think they suffer from every problem listed too :-) I'm sure the service managers love that!

Steve
    Host
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Steve: Host: forget that last post, It's been a long day.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    Just a general informative, www.chevy.com (click on owners on the top bar, then trailblazer) has an owner site where you can put in your VIN#, and it will(should) track your oil changes etc by putting in your usage, and has a handy dandy little maintanence history sheet (provided you keep it up to date)that you can print later. It also is supposed to check your VIN against current Recalls, As for TSB's another good place to look is www.nhtsa.gov they also do the crash tests along with www.iihs.org NHTSA is the feds consumer safety, IIHS is the insurance testing center. Hope this helps. rd
  • houstonken4houstonken4 Member Posts: 4
    My new Trailblazer runs right at the 210 mark when cruising and in stop-n-go goes one or two marks above. It that is correct it seems too hot. My Suburban never goes above two notches below the midway point. The dealer says not to worry about it since it is at the midway point. Seems to hot to me. I can test it with an IR temp gun to check out the gauge. Just wondering what someone else's gauge reads.
    Ken
    Does anyone know: A)If any of the three sisters come with hydraulic hood lifts or B)If anyone makes an application for the three sisters yet?
    Been noticing the nice scrapes forming by my hood prop and the ease of working in the engine bay of a '02 TL w/hydraulic hood lifts... think it would be nice... any help would be appreciated. Havent been able to find anything yet. rd
    Ken, mine reads right there too, except during the winter, then it reads like one notch down. Right now, its about 90 deg here and its just hanging out at midpoint. Just be happy, there was one guy about a month ago whose temp was hanging out at the 230-240 range =)If you have an IR gun, you can probably check it at the top of the radiator or at the thermostat housing (the upper main cooling line from the radiator where it connects to the engine) I believe that the thermostat housing is the general area for the temp switch. Probably will come out a little cooler because its not the actual fluid you are getting the temp from, there will be that metal as a buffer. hope this helps. rned
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    "hydraulic hood props" or actually gas-charged "lift supports" are OK until they loose their pressure after 4-5 years. They have gone "flat" on every car I have owned that had them. Especially the engine-hood ones exposed to lots of heat. The prop rod won't wear out. Cheap but effective.

My TB temp gauge is constant about 1/2 the pointer width below the 210° mark, no matter if it's 40° or 97° outside.

http://www.finishlinewest.com/tb04.jpg

Very interesting front fascia on this TB sure would look good on my LS!

i believe thats a front end to a envoy. i've seen the mesh before, and there is i believe speedline, or speedgrille has a new fascia for the TB w/ a mesh grille just like that one. Not sure if they have pics yet, though online. hope this helps some.
    Not sure what post you are referring to - if there was one after mine, I didn't see it. Or maybe I did, but it's 108 here at 7:30 pm and it's hard to distinguish the posts from my heat induced hallucinations :-)

Steve
    Host
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    For those that followed my other post, check out the link and pics I put up that came from my Japanese Triplet Owner.

If you can translate, please do! HID's and a really cool radio mod available.

Follow the link to Other Owners Mods. I'm limited to 115 characters via this board and the direct link won't fit. Expand the image to full size if your browser shrinks to fit your window. They will download and print fine.

Enjoy

tim

http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/modifications-page.html
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Yeah, that 230-240 was me. After the dealer replaced the fan clutch, it has been hanging right at 210. When the weather is hot and I'm driving in stop/go traffic, the needle may move just to the right of 210.
    I remember the discussion. The owners manual states 100 ft-lbs. The service manual someone said stated 92 ft-lbs. Then someone else brought up 120 ft-lbs from somewhere just to confuse things even more. When I checked mine after the drive home the 1st day I owned it, some of the lugs were almost loose, some were way tighter than the 100 ft-lb spec, so I retorqued all to 100 ft-lbs. (Also as delivered to me, tire air pressure varied btwn 38 and 45 psi. That's after I specifically asked them to double-check everything since I bought my TB out of state 210 miles away. The dealer make-ready was really on the ball that day!!) 100 ft-lbs- a nice even number to remember, and within 10% of what the service manual was reported to specify. Also as I am sure you know, since you do it yourself, torque the lug nuts in a "star" pattern to equalize the tightness of the wheel against the hub so you don't warp anything.
  • jefepro2jefepro2 Member Posts: 16
    If anyone here knew what the deal was with the lease program for the triplets. I live in a area that has 6.5% MF, if I drive 3 hours, the deal changes to 3.5%. That's a huge difference on the lease. Is it based on dealer location or home location? Both? I have no problem driving 3 hours to pick up a truck and save close to 50 a month.
    Thanks
  • sbindleysbindley Member Posts: 28
    As part of a Truckin's SUV Magazine project buildup on my 2002 Envoy, I am doing a mild, but effective stereo upgrade. I have the Bose system already, which is okay, but nothing close to a decent aftermarket system. As the saying goes, "No, highs, no lows, it must be a Bose..." Given the integration of the head unit with all the other equipment, we simply changed out all the speakers and added a powered subwoofer system that fits beneath the rear cargo well in the hatch. The project sponsor, Kenwood, provided the following equipment: FRONT SPEAKERS - The factory separates are NOT a woofer and tweeter -- they are a woofer in the door and a 2" full range paper speaker in the dash. We replaced the dash speaker with a Kenwood Excelon series 4" two way, which is cleaner and brightens the sound immensely. To make it fit, we had to mount the Kenwood grill on top of the dash, but it looks fantastic. At the moment, the front door woofers are still Bose, but we will try to put Kenwood's best 6.5" mid bass units there if they will fit. REAR DOORS - Kenwood's Excelon 5.25" two-ways are direct replacement for the factory paper full rangers. Remember, there is not one single tweeter anywhere in the Bose system, and now there are four high end tweeters. SUBWOOFER - We went with a simple and inexpensive Kenwood Woox unit that fits perfectly beneath the carpeted rear well with no cutting, drilling or mounting. It adds a nice, subtle bass to the system that is controlled by a wired unit mounted on the dash beside the factory head unit. For those who want more bass, any bigger powered unit will work, it's just a matter of taste and space. The bottom line is that the Bose amp is plenty strong, and will power a set of upgraded speakers very well, satisfying all but the highest end audiophiles (at less than $1000 installed). Watch Truckin's SUV this fall for more info and photos.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Thanks tlauro and tblazed!

I was surprised that my dealer actually had all of the tire pressure right on for my Bravada. I haven't checked the lugs since I got it though, since I don't have a torque wrench at home. I do all my work at a military auto shop (I'm federal civilian, so they let me use it). For $2 an hour, I get a hydraulic lift, and have access to nearly any hand or power tool you could ever imagine! The only thing they don't have is diagnostic equipment... otherwise, it's outfitted better than most garages! They even have a master mechanic on premises at all times to answer questions and help you out!
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    I can't believe what I'm hearing about this Bose system. Paper cones? No tweeters? I'm going to have to prove this to myself.

I think it sounds pretty good and has plenty of power, but it's not as crisp as it could be. I had a set of Infinity's in my last car and loved them.
    Are the existing speakers 4 ohm?
  • blrmkrblrmkr Member Posts: 40
    rj123456 - The TBLT bumper cover would not be a replacement part for the Envoy XL. Also, the steps are the gray platic inserts on the top of the painted part of the bumper.

sbindley - Would you happen to know if the Kenwood's Excelon 5.25" two-ways would fit in the front door openings w/o any modification? A few of us have been working on ways to improve upon the non-Bose system in our trucks.
    Jefepro2, not sure where the 6.5% rate is from but it will depend on the lending institution and term. Last I checked here in Cols. Ohio the rate was 4.5% with a 12k/yr lease the residual is at 53%. However, I'm not sure if that's a regional or national program through GMAC. Rates/Residuals will be changing soon, so act before the end of the month.

Let me know if you need help. I have a couple different versions of my excel lease calc. depending on how taxes are applied in your region.

tim

"If anyone here knew what the deal was with the lease program for the triplets. I live in a area that has 6.5% MF, if I drive 3 hours, the deal changes to 3.5%. That's a huge difference on the lease. Is it based on dealer location or home location? Both? I have no problem driving 3 hours to pick up a truck and save close to 50 a month.
    Thanks "
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Have not posted in a while, but still liking our 02 Bravada. It's been virtually problem free with 18K kms on the dial now. One think I have noticed is a bit of a creak in the seat belt anchor on the pillar behind me. Anyone else had this?

My next door neighbor just picked up a 02 Envoy on summer clearance this week. These GM triplets are getting very popular!
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    LEARN TO READ BEFORE YOU REACT LIKE CHILD. My exact posting was "On another note, I do hope that the aftermarket system wasn't one of those meant to "force" the entire population within 100 feet of your vehicle to listen to the music you want to hear." Since it's obvious that it wasn't, all that was needed was a simple "No, it wasn't".

I also started that with "My suggestion..." Hmmm. You would think, by your [over]reaction that I had commanded you to... My "commentary" was just that. If you are going to get so upset by a response to your request you should write exactly what kind of advice you want so that way no one will "offend" you by giving you what you don't.

Enough said? Let's get over this already.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    mtrammell: Doesn't water boil at 212°...?????

~Ken
    Water boils at 212° at atmospheric pressure. A 50/50 mix of water and Dexcool (or, regular old ethelene glycol) boils much higher. Also the cooling system is under pressure of 15-17 PSI which also raises the boiling point.
  • jefepro2jefepro2 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the Info Tim
    Just to clarify...
    GMAC is currently doing leasing deals until the end of the month based by regions. West, North Central, and NorthEast has a 3.5% financing deal for the triplets. While South and South Central region are given a 6.5% financing deal. Unfortunately, I live in a region that is considered south central while places south and east from me ( About 3 hour drive) is considered North Central.
    I was just wondering if anyone here knew how the leases work for GMAC. If I purchase a vehicle in the North Central region and register it in a South Central region, will I still get the special financing?
    Anyway, thanks for the reply - you gave me more information than my local GM sales guy would give me.
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Thanx tblazed! Also, the manual states that the system will go into its limp mode when the temp reaches 265 or 275 (I don't remember which). I didn't wait for it to get that high. I pulled off the side of the road and waited for it to cool down a bit and then drove it straigt to the dealer.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Pure water boils at 212° only at sea level.

The boiling point drops by about 2° for every 1000 foot increase in elevation. Dissolving certain materials in water increases the boiling point.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • envoy2002envoy2002 Member Posts: 26
    I don't wish to fuel a [non-permissible content removed]-for-tat debate, but if my memory serves me right, several of your responses/commentaries/suggestions/remarks to various members of this group in the past (and recent) have been responded to by the original postee (and others) with a tad bit of sarcasm/correction/irritation, etc. This would most probably suggest that some of what you write is coming across negatively, whether unintentional as it may be. I know this is a newsgroup and personalities are diverse, but we all should realize that words once spoken or written, can only be interpreted at face value. No offense to you specifically here, but every word in your sentence to Silpro about music and loudness was grammatically and structurally worded such that I understood it the way he did. Anyways, I can't call up Miss Cleo anymore to see if you (or whomever posts) is being light-hearted or scowling and sarcastic when they type a post. So when words like "childish, overly sensitive, touchy, grow up" are used by anybody, hey, someone out here will undoubtedly take offense or be defensive (and yes, that's thier problem). SOOOOO...let's all try to keep things in perspective. Besides..I don't know the policy of this particualr group, but one newsgroup I belong to will "excommunicate" someone if they commit 2 scathing (unpolite) posts towards another member.
    hey there!

yep...I double checked today. 3.5% but more like 4-4.5% given the F&I office markup at the dealer as they often will. not a bad thing, that's how they make money.

residuals are 52 & 54% for 12k and 15k per year leases at 36mos.

tim
    for those that are interested in carrying four bikes to places that Triplets can't go....check it out.

I should have some pics of my LTZ with is mounted and loaded up in the morning!

tim

http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/reese-bike-rack-mod.htm
  • jpk23jpk23 Member Posts: 6
    Have a 2002 bravada and am interested in running boards / nerf bars. I have seen what the factory running boards look like. Have seen pictures of the aftermarket nerf bars themselves, but not on the vehicle itself. Does anyone have pictures of running boards they have placed on their Bravada or any other pictures of custom things done to their trucks.
    Besides..I don't know the policy of this particualr group, but one newsgroup I belong to will "excommunicate" someone if they commit 2 scathing (unpolite) posts towards another member.

That is essentially our policy as well. In case it's been a while since anyone read them, here's the link.

We find members tend to settle squabbles on their own with minimal intervention from us but, short of that, we will and do intercede.

Thanks for asking!

tidester
    Host

• kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I often wondered how boiling water cooled down an engine ( maybe I have to much time on my hands )

~Ken
    Actually it is relative to the atmospheric pressure. At 30.05 inHg, the boiling point for water is 212+° regardless whether you are at sea level elevation or above. That's for pure water.
    Of course. And in a closed radiator system, the pressure rises above the local barometric pressure with heating.

tidester
    Host
  • mlauricellamlauricella Member Posts: 24
    Just wondering if anyone has the mats or cargo liner from Husky? Im just wondering how they fit?

My deadpedal definately needs some protection.

see them here

http://www.suvxccessory.com/xccessory/liners-mats-2002-chevrolet-trailblazer.html
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Hi Tim:

You stated:

"3.5% but more like 4-4.5% given the F&I office markup at the dealer as they often will. not a bad thing, that's how they make money.

residuals are 52 & 54% for 12k and 15k per year leases at 36mos"

Some questions....if the 3.5% is GMAC lease rate, is the dealership allowed to mark that figure up?

If I'm reading you correctly, the residual is 52% for 36 mos and 12k/year mileage allowance or 54% for the same term and 15K/year mileage allowance?

Do you know the rough pricing difference between the Envoy and TB with like for like options?

I'll probably be doing a GMO deal using my brother-in-law's Delco/Delphi employee pricing. He doesn't live too far from you....in Dayton.

If you get the chance, can you fire an e-mail to me at graphicguy@yahoo.com with GMO figures?

If I go to the dealership for the pricing, they're going to hound me and I'm not sure I'm ready to make a deal.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I'll put the answers here:

YOU ASKED:
    "Some questions....if the 3.5% is GMAC lease rate, is the dealership allowed to mark that figure up?"

ANSWER:
    Yes, just as loan officers, banks, lending institutions do on your home loan or any loan really, they do mark it up. GMAC and other banks limit that markup, but it will almost always happen at .5% I consider it fair as there is a cost involved in processing the loan and in the F&I office in general. Ethically I question standard loan markups that can reach max. 25% in some areas like ohio, but even then, there are costs to getting a person with very poor credit ratings done on a finance deal. That's another story though.

RESIDUALS
    You have it backwards. 52% is for 15k/year and 54% is for 12k/year. Use the truck less over 36mos. and it will be worth more in the end.

PRICING
    I would consult Edmunds New Car/Truck Pricing for the differences between the Triplets. I went with the LTZ as the costs difference for the nicer trim inside and out didn't equate to what I personally needed for the cost involved. Buyers drive away when price=value and while the GMC's are nicer, it wasn't worth it to me in the end. Would love to have and SLT, but I'll keep my money instead. Everyone is different.

YOU WROTE:
    I'll probably be doing a GMO deal using my brother-in-law's Delco/Delphi employee pricing. He doesn't live too far from you....in Dayton.

MY REPLY:
    Well, then you should be in good shape. I too get a huge discount from my past and it can't be beat. I don't have the GMO figures handy as I'm no longer in the business, but you will be able to sit down with the dealer and go over them. It's an easy sale for them.

YOU WROTE:
    If I go to the dealership for the pricing, they're going to hound me and I'm not sure I'm ready to make a deal.

MY REPLY:
    Enjoy the test drive and just be firm on what you are looking at. Personally if you're there just to drive a vehicle to see if you like it, then state that. You're entitled to review the GMO pricing and from there it would be best to email me the figures and I'll calc. the lease ranges.

I say that as if you have no intentions of driving home in your new vehicle, sitting through the negotiation is pointless and frustrating to all parties.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions and enjoy.

tim
    Well, I finally got off my but an put up my cold air setup from the stock box. Couldn't wait for the aftermarket players and made my own. Held off on the web page just in case one popped up.

So far, runs just like the open cone only I'm sure much better off the line when it's really hot.

Enjoy.http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/cai-mod/cai-main.htm
  • dhgraydhgray Member Posts: 2
    Since this board is over 6600 posts long and lacks a search, I apologize if this has been discussed before.

We brought an EXT, most all of the bells and whistles, 12 miles on it as we drove off the lot. Next day left on a long trip with the intent of taking our time. 59 miles from our house, 129 miles on the odometer, left a highway gas station after filling up and the engine wouldn't accelerate as the gas pedal went down, or it did and the transmission wasn't engaged, and the ABS and Brakes lights came on along with the service brakes soon message. If I stepped on the gas hard enough it would suddenly jump into second or third gear and lurch forward, but if I let up on the gas it would disengage the transmission. Turned the car off, back on, same behaviors, stopped at the end of the onramp and called Onstar. End result was being towed back to my home since it was late Saturday night and I couldn't get to a dealership anyway.

This afternoon, after talking to the dealership I bought from, attempted to drive the TB to them, approx. 12 mi. Same erratic behavior, turned around at 1/2 mi. and went home, am waiting for the tow truck. Of note, when I was driving into my neighborhood the RPM was up around 1500, the transmission was disengaged, and though I was coasting at 15-20 MPH, the speedometer showed 0.

There are TSBs on similar problems. Has this problem been noted before in this group? Recommended course of action? Replace whole computer vice smaller components? Invoke Lemon law now? Any assistance appreciated.
    For those that are interested in actual pictures of a Reese 4 bike rack carrier on a Trailblazer, click the link below.

Between these and the CAI Mod, I was picture happy I guess :)

tim

http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/reese-bike-rack-mod.htm
  • paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    Tim Lauro,
    Appreciate your posting of the pictures of your mods to the airbox.

Have you noticed any change in performance, economy or engine compartment noise? MIght be too early for economy judgement but the others?

Paul P
    Happy to help out. I'm really trying to get the Triplet Mod thing going for those interested.

Overall, with either open cone or CAI, the MPG isn't really going to change. IMO, the MPG changes are over-rated. Never noticed a thing over the many years and cars I've tweaked.

Noise...well, roar more like it. It's the typical K&N sound. Gotta love it. You should here it on a Turbo or Supercharger :) Like a jet plane taking off.

tim

YOU WROTE:
    Appreciate your posting of the pictures of your mods to the airbox.

Have you noticed any change in performance, economy or engine compartment noise? MIght be too early for economy judgement but the others?

Paul P
  • kevs8n1kevs8n1 Member Posts: 4
    Just looking for facts and opinions to help make a decision on either the Trailblazer EXT or standard Trailblazer.

I've driven both, the EXT rides a little nicer, but feels bigger. Weight is move than 400 lbs more. The turning feels different.. and measures 3+ feet different. I'm not going to be primary drive (Wife's truck). From just driving, I like the feel of the standard size. Felt frisky, handled a little more car like.

So, does anyone know the 0 - 60 times for the EXT? I can't find that anywhere.

Anyone else driven both and have opinions?

The extra space would be nice... really nice if the third row would fold flatter. It still leaves a slight crease, etc that prevents a truly flat surface.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
  • smmillersmmiller Member Posts: 19
    The 3rd row explorer/mountaineer seat doesn't fold flat either. At least with the EXT you get the board (or whatever they call it) that slips into place and gives you a flat enough surface. No option for that on the Ford.

For us a primary factor was could we fit 2 400 dog crates with the 2nd row seat up.

Does your wife really care about 0-60 times. ;-)

S
  • kevs8n1kevs8n1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks smmiller for the comments. I didn't know that about the Exploder. What's your feeling of the EXT's parking ability? Like I said, I noticed a different feel to the steering. I didn't get a chance to really put it through the parking tests. Visibility with the 3rd row up might be an issue, however, most of the time I would imagine the 3rd seats would be down, as we only have 2 kids.

What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

How does the TBs do at highway speeds traveling on grades? Does the transmission kick out of overdrive a lot?

We're going Monday night for a second test drive of both vehicles.

Thanks again for the comments.
  • kenitzerkenitzer Member Posts: 19
    We have had our 2WD EXT for nearly a month now. I am averaging 15MPG in general purpose driving (mix of expressway and in-town), and I just returned from a weekend trip on Interstates and averaged 20MPG.

As far as size goes, it handles and parks easily for me, however, anything would park more easily and feel smaller than my Ford E150 HiTop Conversion Van that we traded in. Seriously, I really don't find it much more difficult to maneuver than my wife's Honda CRV.

The EXT is the only reason we ended up with a TrailBlazer. Had the EXT not been available, we probably would have purchased a Tahoe or Expedition. We sail and my son plays travel hockey and we need the room for weekend sailing and hockey trips. Those hockey equipment bags take up a lot of room, especially when your the coach and you have other players traveling with you.

Yes the transmission does shift out of OD on steep grades, but I suspect the same would happen with the regular TB. Even so, it is very smooth and hardly noticed unless you're watching the tach. The only thing I wish it had were a more stiff and responsive suspension. While it handles better than the van, it doesn't handle as well as the CRV. I could see myself upgrading the suspension within the next year or so. So far though, with 1400 miles under my belt, I can strongly recommend the TB EXT.