Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    yep, I believe the OK plant is where the Extended version of the Envoy and TB Are built. Last I heard, the Envoy XVU or cross platform unit is being built there. Makes sense as I belive the new cross platform SUV is built on the extended cab. The standard bodies are in Ohio.
  • edl55347edl55347 Member Posts: 46
    The running boards are identical to those that are on the trucks ordered with them. They The running boards are pretty easy to install. I did mine myself by putting one end on block and then lifting the other end and putting the bolts in.
  • dammitjim1dammitjim1 Member Posts: 95
    Hi - Just picked up my LTZ from a dealership in Manhattan last week. It is equipped with the Bose 6CD stereo, rear seat DVD, heated seats, running boards and locking diff. I paid $34,810 (list $37,815) which is about $100 over invoice. On a 3 yr lease, that's about $413/month.
    I haven't had the chance to drive it much yet, and there were some problems at delivery, notably the headphones and remote for the DVD were missing. The dealer is working to get these for me, though it has taken a lot of phone calls to make it happen. From what driving I have done, I can report that it rides quite well for a truck.

I just turned in a Chrysler 300M from a 3 yr. lease. Loved the car, but it actually would have cost me more per month to get another one, even with lease loyalty $$ and rebate!
  • sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    I've had my TB about a year and I keep seeing reference to this gasket. Is this something the dealer provides to fix a problem? How do I know if I have this problem? How do I know if I have the gasket? Are we talking front or rear or both? Sorry if this has been covered already...
  • jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    sildog,

There is an insert in the tailgate that houses the license plate. This piece is plastic while the rest of the tailgate is metal. Due to differing coefficients of thermal expansion, the plastic insert will stress and then rub the paint on the metal part of the tailgate when heated, usually by direct sunlight. The gasket was added earlier this year, and provides a buffer between the dissimilar materials, preventing the paint from chipping.

I bought mine in April and it already had it, but I believe there is a TSB, or at least someone else here on the board can provide a part number. Actually, if you go to Tim's site (tlauro.com) and click on problems, he has a description and part number.

As far as A/C, is anyone else getting a stale or musty smell when the start the car or turn on the A/C?

Thanks,
    JAW
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    My light pewter metalic TB was built 06/02 and has the gasket from the factory. I never really noticed it until reading posts on the site and it really doesn't look that bad. I have a website for my 2000 Impala LS and plan on starting one for the TB so I can post some pictures usefull info and part #'s. my impala site if anyone is interested. http://www.luckyjdr.homestead.com/impala.html

AC Smell tip. I got this tip from a mechanic after I had the smell in my 91 blazer. When I have the AC on and I am a few blocks from where I am going, I turn the AC off and LEAVE THE FAN ON OUTSIDE AIR set to 4 or 5. What this does is dry out the condensation which is the cause of the musty smell. I have been doing this with all my cars for years and the smell has never come back. After you do it a few times, it just becomes a habit.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I'm gone for vacation for two weeks and geez... 200 posts! Anyhow, just wanted to report that the Bravada is now up to 8K and running perfect. No AC problems, or lack of power issues here. I have the K&N fileter installed in a setup almost identical to Tim's, but I didn't notice any power issues prior to the install. One thing I do remember reading is that the ECU sets up a profile based on the drivers normal driving habits, so it may be that the feeling of less power was a learned response of the system and the dealer can reset it? All I know is that I have the 3.73 and off the line, very few vehicles can hang with me when I goose the throttle! When passing at highway speeds, even fewer vehicles have that kind of power... If you guys recall the 2002 Bravada was last years Indy pace vehicle, and they had no trouble getting the factory L6 to 140mph with only intake and exhaust mods. I'm sure they reprogrammed shift points and of course lifted the top speed limiter as well =)
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I don't recall all of the specifics, but I know with rebate I paid under invoice for my Bravada back in February. Obviously incentives have changed since then, but to give you an idea... I paid $32,800 for the Bravada with AWD, Conv & Luxury Package, heated seats, gold package, Bose, and Sunroof. The only option I didn't get was the DVD, because they wouldn't do it with the sunroof. List price was just under $38K. This was at a dealer near the Jersey Shore.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    There is no power going to the car when I step on the gas I have to leave for south Carolina tonight from NY and then we are off to Disney world since we are already half way in SC. My problem is the jet noise only seems to last less then 2min and then it is gone and it usually only happens after the car has sat for awhile . It happened today after it sat for 2 days . I just hope that my trip will go off well. If it was the tranny which is what my husband says he thinks it is will pressing the on-star button help?Can they tell ? This is a brand new car it has 900 miles on it and this should not be .Does it sound like the fan or does anyone else think it is the tranny? Thanks I will check back on the lap top to let everyone know if we made it .
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    The manual states that the vehicle may have LATCH. I see the hook on the floor for the center/top strap, but I don't notice any side hooks for LATCH. Does anyone know whether they are installed?

I have an Envoy XL SLT 4wd build date 4/02.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    momstruck1: the fan noise is well documented and is not a problem. It stops after a few minutes and causes no other problems according to the general. The loss of power feeling may be due to a cold engine and limited rpm's. Many of us have had the same thing happen.
  • mlauricellamlauricella Member Posts: 24
    Final cost was ~$31,200 PLUS T&T. This was with a $1500 rebte they had during the month of May.

As for the advisertising, my truck never even seen their lot. I watched it come off the truck and a couple hours later it was in my hot little hands. Why should I have to pay for the dealers commercials & radio ads.

Someone said advertising should not be charged with GM Supplier, I agree. It was until later I realized they charged me for it. I will be calling GM Supplier Monday, thanks.
  • mlauricellamlauricella Member Posts: 24
    Ive been putting up with a "squeak" upon cold startup on my LTZ for about the past three weeks. It sounds much like a belt, but only has been getting gradually worse. Dropped the truck off at the dealer two weeks ago so they could cold start it in the morning, but they say they didnt hear it.

So, oil change, cleaning of glue off the license plate gasget, hood adjusted( rattled ), rear driver door adjusted ( hard to close ), rear plastic piece ( third brake light ) deflector re-attached.

In addition to this, they broke my onstar antenna, and tried to bend it back like I wouldnt notice. This has since been replaced from a TB off the lot.

To the point here, dropped off the truck Thursday night, but this time I showed up at the dealership at 7:00. I told the advisor to grab his best tech and wouldnt ya know, we all heard the noise. It took them ALL DAY to locate it with a scope. Turns out to be the alternater, bearings inside or something. Ordered the part and will be done Monday.

Semi-pissed with the incompetence of the dealer for no locating the problem the first time. I also never heard of an alternater going after 3,000 miles. 6/02 build date

end rant
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    I now own a 2001 Denali XL and am in the process of looking for a vehicle for my wife. I like the Envoy and would really prefer to stay with GMC. You know the old saying about knowing the problems of the brand. I am also interested in the Mercury Montaineer. I like the idea of full time AWD and the V8. However, in reading the posts on that site, i find there are a lot of owners with many problems with the vehicle, and that is not what i like to hear.

On the other hand, in reading the Envoy posts, i haven't found anything particulary bothersome, some minor problems, which is par for GM. It seems as tho all you Triplett owners are Happy, am i reading this correctly, or am i missing something? I like the idea of the zero financing for 60 months. I can't imagine there will be much new in 2003 except a 5% price hike.
    What say you??
    Thanks for any information you give me..
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Has anyone else experienced any engine noise at startup that resembles a 'diesel' type of sound? The noise usually goes away after the engine has warmed up. Is this common with the new inline 6 engines?
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    The sound you're hearing is/are the hypereutectic(sp) pistons, similar to forged pistons, which make this noise normally at startup. Nothing to worry about.

Tim
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    Larry91; from what I have seen, most people are slightly irritated about the triplets, but most of us who have had all the recalls, etc were all the builds within the first 9mo's or so. My build date is 8/01 and I still need the rear license gasket, fuel filter fittings checked out, and GM is repainting my rear hatch w/ blending the rest of the truck because the paint is messed up, and the PCM reprogrammed to try to get better MPG(currently 13-16). Personally, I'm having it all done in Jan when I go on vacation. =o) Overall, I personally am satisfied with the truck(Trailblazer)and I did expect this from a first gen SUV(all new engine, frame, body, etc.)As far as I am concerned these are faring much better than most SUV's(check KBB.com prices are out) =o) If you do get a Triplet, let me recommend a 2003 b/c there are a bunch of engine and transmission changes that are supposed to help. It may still have issues with the "roaring fan" and "electronic climate control going out" (mine is manual dual climate control) Hope this helps some
    Admittedly, I did expect SOME bugs with an introductory year SUV from GM. And I would expect a few bugs with an introductory year SUV from any other auto maker as well. However, I have experienced way over and beyond the amount of problems that I would have expected with my 2002 TrailBlazer LTZ. Here's a list of what I've encountered after 13,000 miles of operation:

-Faulty cam position actuator (Replaced already)

-Faulty cam position phaser (Replaced already)
    *These two components caused the 'Service Engine
    Soon' light to stay on anytime the vehicle was running.

-Faulty rear pinion seal that caused a leak.
    *Had it replaced once already, but the problem persists whenever the vehicle is left sitting on my concrete driveway for 3-4 days at an incline. I'm going to have this addressed again soon.

-Rain sensor wipers come on whenever the windshield is bone dry part of the time, and they won't come on automatically after it starts to rain. At least most of the time they don't function properly.

-Transmission failed at 9,000 miles of operation while on a trip to the mountains. Experienced a hard downshift effect while driving uphill. The vehicle never would shift into automatic 3rd after that. Dealership out in the boonies had it for a week rebuilding the tranny. Ended up having to stay at a hotel in a small town that we certainly hadn't intended on visiting that Friday evening--so that I could drive very slowly to the closest Chevy dealership on Saturday morning.
    So far the tranny seems to be doing okay since it was repaired. Fingers and toes both still crossed on this one.

-Clicking/popping noises coming from rear hatch, front mirror and mid-side cabin areas. Every Chevy dealership has been totally clueless regarding a resolution to this particular problem.
    The sounds coming from the front and middle of the vehicle sound like a piece of metal striking a plastic lens. Strange. Very strange.

-Stereo gets very, very hot on long distance trips.

-Front bumper cover looks uneven, cheap and flimsy.

-Front passenger side window seal is defective. It has a large deformation in the center of the upper, horizontal portion.

-Driver's side rear door produces a thunderous sound whenever you drive over certain bumps in the road. This occurs regardless of how firmly the door is shut.

-The famous 'fan noise' and corresponding loss of power.

-Low speed, tight turn groaning noise.

-Ocassional squeaking noises coming from somewhere near the backseat area.

-Sometimes during deceleration it sounds like the drive shaft is coming through the floorboard!

-Paint runs on the driver's side rear door--near the bottom, rear corner.

Only the transmission issue has been a true showstopper, I will admit that. But this rather voluminous list of problems has most definitely ruined the TrailBlazer experience for me. I've contacted a GM rep about buying back my TrailBlazer. He said that they wouldn't do it, but he would offer me a free 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. Or, "GM would assist financially in the purchase of a brand new, equivalently equipped TrailBlazer LTZ". The deal was that they would charge me a depreciation hit of 0.30 for every mile that my current TrailBlazer had on it at the time of the trade. So, I've decided to let my home state's attorney general's office 'Consumer Protection Division' handle things from here on out. In other words, I'm attempting to utilize my state's Lemon Law.

In summary, I'm really and truly happy for the Triplet owners that have been fortunate enough to avoid the dreaded lemon. I can assure you that it's not a lot of fun to end up with one of the ol' Sunkist SUVs.

Ron
  • tpellowtpellow Member Posts: 21
    Was out loading/unloading stuff from my LTZ when I noticed the License plate gasket, which I had installed in April, is beginning to roll and bunch-up. I'll try and get some pictures posted but it seems as if the expansion/contraction of plastic is enough to upset the postion of the gasket. You can even see the glue being squeezed out as well. Anyone else noticed this???

Another side note, also noticed a paint blister on the roof that has been diagnosed as dirt between the clear cote and the paint. The bodyshop is worried since I have the Majestic Red metallic which is a multi-stage paint and hence more difficult to reproduce.

Other than that I'll still infatuated with my TB LTZ @ 11,000 mi

Tim
    '02 TB LTZ
  • m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    Is it just me?

After paying 30K for a loaded LT, I'm pissed that the buttons on the steering wheel, the radio and the climate controls are bubbling up and flaking off. You would figure that they would use a molded plastic piece instead of coating it. I know I can get them replaced at the dealership. I have an appointment for a checkup and plan on having them all replaced. I just cant believe they didn't see this coming in a test period with the truck. I've seen a couple posts about it, so I know its not just me. Anyway, you figure you pay more for a truck (That I love by the way)and should get quality, but I guess they skipped over those items and figured no one would notice. Also what burns me is I have to get them replaced now under warranty. What happens when and if it happens again when its not under warranty? I don't know how much it costs to fix, but I can imagine that when its not under warranty, it'll cost me. Anyway, just venting!!!!
  • paracanaryparacanary Member Posts: 14
    On my Bravada 2001 the steering wheel buttons paint is wearing off. It is not covered under warranty or the extended warranty because the car has 38000 miles. I ordered a new switch for $14 but do not want to pay $50 to have it installed. How do you take the front cover off the steering wheel inorder to install the switch?
    Thanks
    for the feedback, i am going to say "OUCH" as i didn't really expect all the issues. I know they had big issues, and my Chevy dealer stopped selling them for a short time after introduction, but i fiqured they had solved most of the major problems, guess not. Now i know why my service guy said to wait and buy and 03.
    Once again, thank you for your responses
    Larry
    You're welcome larry91. No problem regarding the feedback. At this point I would definitely hold off for an 03'--maybe even an 04' if you can fend off the new car fever that long. By that time the TrailBlazer should be an excellent buy. Even though I've experienced a lot of bugs with my 02' model TB, I can truthfully say that the vehicles have a lot of potential. If GM will indeed address all of the known problems with the Triplets, and really do the fixes up right, the Triplets' future does seem pretty bright.

Ron
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Larry,

Wait for the '03's! My Bravada is hands down the worst new vehicle I have ever owned. I like the truck, but there are way to many service issues.
    In addition to the many shown here, add poor wind sealing (I've tried all the tricks), a drivers side window that won't go completely up above 50 mph, and a driver side sunvisor that only hangs straight down, blocking most of the window (the passenger side is fine). Mine has a 10/02 build date. While some may say that we come to this site only to gripe, I must disagree. There are 2
    Envoy, and 2 Trailblazer owners where I work, and they have all had multiple issues with their vehicles. I know this because I have have been using info from this site to help them get theirs fixed.

GAM2
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Larry:

Many on these boards like to complain and you tend to hear far more from the complainers than those who are satisfied. Some have had legitimate issues. Let me tell of my experience. I have an Envoy SLT, with everything available at the time I ordered it in May of 2001. I got it July 19, 2001, and have just over 16,000 miles on it. I had a few of the minor gremlins, but they were minor. Wandering mirrors, license plate housing gasket, droopy headliner around the sunroof, etc. All have been addressed to my full satisfaction. If something happened to the Envoy tomorrow I would go out an buy another without hesitation. For a first year vehicle, it has had relatively few problems and they have been minor. Some who post here have had lemons, but I think you will find that the vast majority of new triplet owners have had a positive experience. Many of the changes have been made in production so I am not so sure that a late '02 will be much different than an early '03, except more expensive and without the incentives. I say go for a late '02, save some cash, and enjoy it. I sure have mine!!!!
    Thank you both for the information.. To ron m, i can get over the car buying fever, this is for my wife and she could care less about a new vehicle.
    Hardhawk, I agree, a first year vehicle from any
    American manufacturer is a dangerous thing.. LOL
    The guy that takes care of me at the GMC dealer said to wait till the 03 model, but he also said that they are doing rolling fixes as they go along and nothing spectacular in that area will happen with the early 2003's
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    I wanted to share with you all the details of my visit last week to my GMC service department. Unfortunately according to my service advisor, the "faulty pressure switch" fix concerning the A/C has been delayed through GM. He stated that they contacted the GM TAC (technical assistance center) and was told that they are aware of the intermittent A/C problem and are currently working on a fix that involves something a little bit more in depth than a faulty pressure switch. In other words, I was not able to get this issue resolved at this time, he informed me that I should check back with them within the next 30 days to see if GM has implemented a fix for this problem.

In order to fix my reverse tilting mirror problem (passenger side mirror would intermittently tilt down and would not come back up), they replaced the mirror actuator for the 2nd time. So far so good! Last but not least, they completely replaced the driver's side rear reverse tail lamp because it was filled 1/4 of the way with water.

Has anyone else had any luck concerning the A/C issue?

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
    Hi All:

I am about 1 week into ownership of a 2002 LTZ, purchased from Potemkin in Manhattan, NYC.
    I bought it equipped with the rear seat DVD, intending to keep the kids pacified on long trips.
    Unfortunately, the headphones and remote were missing, and the Prep department was clueless as to their whereabouts. The Business manager assured me that he would get them to me via FedEx.
    Needless to say, this didn't happen, and I get a different story every time I call in to get a status update. Responses thus far have included the claim that the headphones are "not included" with the truck, but are available for "separate purchase". You have to wonder how they could qualify to be Chevy dealers having so little knowledge of how the truck is supposed to come equipped. And this is a large dealer!

It is a small item, and the truck is fine in other respects. However, I paid for this option, and the DVD is essentially useless without these accessories.

I'm running out of options for resolving this issue at the dealer level, and they still have the gall to request that I indicate "completely satisfied" when I get the survey from GM.

Any advice out there for getting this resolved without putting up with the dealer stringing me along any further?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You might want to try a different dealer that might actually do a good-will thing for you in hopes to gain your warranty/service work.

-mike
  • sbindleysbindley Member Posts: 28
    Did you look under the carpeted rear well in the rear? Mine were in a box in there and it took me a couple of days before I even looked as I assumed that was for the spare tire equipment.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check the rear well tonight. You would think that the dealer might have passed that tip along.
  • tbltexttbltext Member Posts: 21
    Kudos to Tlauro for the Zaino tip, pain in the but to do the first app but worth it.
    My EXT with a 04/02 build has the rear gasket warping, add to the list of things to fix. I've had my TB since 6/18/02 and love this truck. My list of problems only has the AC, (same issue as everyone else) and now the rear gasket.
    Highly recommended purchase..missed the 0% by a week but what can you do..
    Child tethers are only located at the seat bottoms three in all...I purchased a Britax runabout seat for my 6 month old and this seat fits better than the Cosco 3 in 1, it uses the seat belt and the tethers, some seats only use either or. Fits tight and rear faces until he grows to the point of hitting the seat with his feet...then we turn him around until 35lbs. Have to purchase 3 seats for him but $$ is no object when it comes to safety..
    Happy Trailblazering...
  • donjoydonjoy Member Posts: 3
    We just purchased a 2002 trailblazer ltz built 12/01
    Does anyone know if the license plate gasket problem was fixed in tb built in late 2001
    I don't see any gasket between the plastic and the body steel should I if it has been remedied
    Also are there any other issues I should look for ie sagging sealing near the sunroof
    thank you
  • icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    I bought my LTZ at Potamkin as well. They are obsessed with their customers checking "completely satisfied" for every box on your survey.

If you let them know that there will be quite a few "unsatisfieds" unless you get the goods, I can guarantee that you'll have everything you need shortly.
  • bricklayertxbricklayertx Member Posts: 20
    Bought my TB/LS in Feb 02. One minor problem about 2 months ago----dead dash which self corrected and never returned.
    Only other glitch was last week----A/C died completly. Turned out to be a 'blown' hose on the low pressure side. Tech said he had never seen a failure on the low side. Took it in Friday and had to leave it for part shipment. Part in today and all is well. So far, I love this truck.
    For a dealership so concerned with its survey results, it seems like they should have done a better job with the delivery experience, which was by far the worst I ever experienced. Aside from the missing DVD accessories, they were supposed to transfer the plates from my old car, and ordered new ones instead, despite the insurance binder clearly stating "Replacement Vehicle". Go figure.

I think they were also kind of hungry to book the deal for the end of last month, even offering to handle the lease return of my non-GM vehicle.

When I pointed out that I needed a week to get the car detailed to avoid excess w&t charges, they said not to worry, they'd handle everything and there would be no charges. I found that kind of strange, but went along with it.

If I can get the DVD accessories in a reasonable amount of time, AND the lease on my old car terminates with no charges back to me, I'll probably still give them a good review - but 'completely satisfied' is a bit of a stretch.
  • pauleulpauleul Member Posts: 116
    The triplets didn't start coming from the factory with the gasket until around 02/02. Anything produced in '01 didn't have the gasket. I was one of the first to have a dealer installed gasket in mid April this year. For those who are finding the gasket is extruding out it is because the 6 or 7 nuts holding the plastic pocket in place have been tightened down to tight. When your dealer fixes/replaces, tell them not to over tighten the nuts and the problem won't return.

Hey GAM, how did you manage to get a Bravada with a build date of 10/02? Isn't that actually an '03? You must have one heck of a time machine.
    ;>)

I now have 5,000 miles on my Envoy. Still (0) defects. The gasket was my only issue. Another TB in the neighborhood didn't even need the gasket, and no problems. There are triplets that DON'T have problems and aren't lemons (at least, not yet).
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Ooooops! Like my Bravada, nothing is perfect. I meant 10/01.

GAM2
  • jurassic3kjurassic3k Member Posts: 13
    I've got a build date of 6/02. Do you think I got any of the 03 engine changes?
  • lockcityssrlockcityssr Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know the part numbers for the side steps for an Envoy? Also has anyone added the chrome door trim inserts that come on the SLT to a SLE? Are they available/part numbers?

I also have a problem free one!!
  • johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    These should be covered by warranty, at least by my dealer statements. I have a 2002 TB LT with 25k miles. I am driving by the service area tonight so he can order the buttons. I only live 2 miles from the dealer.

I only have one button showing the signs of flaking. I noticed this 6-9 months ago, but I wanted to wait to see if any of the other buttons were beginning to show this wear. I only have one button flaking, it's the one for the odometer & trip odometers. I don't think it's like I use this button more. Except for the DIC setup & configuration buttons, I generally use all the buttons equally.

I'll keep you posted as things progress.

I'm curious to see which buttons everyone else has the wear on. . .

John
  • caldwell52caldwell52 Member Posts: 7
    2002 Trailblazer EXT - I felt that I was going faster than the speedometer was telling me I was going, so I checked it with my Laptop and GPS unit (which I have found accurate with several other vehicles). At 35, 45, 55 and 65 the unit showed I was going 5 MPH fast that the speedometer was showing (speedometer 55 - actual 60). Anyone else seen anything like this? Only had a couple weeks and haven't asked dealer yet.

Thanks!
  • envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    My wife and I have also noticed that the speedometer on our Envoy XL seems to be calibrated incorrectly. However, ours is the other way. The speedometer is reading faster than we are actually going.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    My TB is very accurate within 1 MPH of what my GPS reads at any speed. Almost sounds like you got the "calibration" for a different rear gear ratio being about 10% off as you describe. Example: if you have the 3.73 gears but they inadvertently loaded the 4.10 gear calibration into your computer (or have 3.42 gears with 3.73 cal) that would make the speedo read about 10% slower than you are actually going. Did you check the odometer to see if you are registering 10% fewer miles too?
    The suggestion to look under the rear wheel well was a good one, but unfortunately they were not there. This puts me back at the mercy of the dealership, which is not a good thing.
    Can the GM/Chevy Customer assistance help with an issue like this?
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    My rear hatch strap broke. I have heard this happened to others. Did the dealer replace under warrenty? Is the new one of better quality?

Also, has anyone else noticed that a lot of road dust builds up under the rear hatch glass around the edges? (not in the vehicle, but under the glass when you open it up)

BTW: approaching 15k miles and MPG is up to 18 from 15.5 when the truck was new. Same commute route the whole time.

To those considering to buy, I had many of the standard bugs, but the dealer fixed them all so far and the truck runs great. I would wait for 2003, however, just for the bigger gas tank. It is worth it. And if you get just one option, go for the BOSE. Unless, of course, you are hearing impaired.

Finally, can anyone suggest a good auto glass cleaner that does not leave a film? Windex just does not cut it.

-John
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I use the RAIN-X glass cleaner. It works great and no streaks.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I pulled that strap after my TB had been sitting out in the sun probably 120° inside and the darn thing stretched about double its length, but didn't break it. Now I just grab the area below the outside handle to pull down the hatch more centered force is applied there too. That strap is a real joke. Not one of the better marks of excellence GM used to tout.

Only way dust could be prevented getting in-between the glass and the frame area would be to have seals right to the edges. Going down the road creats a vacuum back there and sucks up dust. Maybe a deflector might work or at least help?

I use Sprayway brand glass cleaner, an alcohol-based cleaner as opposed to most like Windex that are ammonia-based. Works great. Smells good too. The Sprayway product is what they use at a local Lexus dealer service department too where a friend is a technician. (They keep him real busy down there fixing broken Lexus cars and SUVs - they have their problems too) 1st found this product many years ago when I worked in a 4-color lithography shop.
  • tbltexttbltext Member Posts: 21
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    Did ya notice how the emblems were shaved off the back and side panel (LTZ). It also looks like there are no tow hooks in front. I think the tow hooks are now an option on the 2003's that you must pay for (LS). I would also like to take off the roof racks if there were any plugs for the holes on the roof. I already have shaved off the emblems and taken the cross bars off the roof rack. Has anyone looked to see if the tow hooks in front can be taken off? May be a nice place for extra fog lights. Has anyone actually used the tow hooks in front and if so, for what?