Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• xntrickxntrick Member Posts: 27
    New Envoy with 05/02 build date. Very fragile paint in my opinion and I am wondering if this is par for the course?? My wife opened up her Blazer door into the side of the Envoy and upon lifting out a watermelon, her door rubbed off an inch scratch (down to the metal). Similarly, I brushed the plastic handle of the lawnmower onto the fender and now there's a scratch there as well. It's getting the paint touched up this weekend before I zaino brothers wax it, but I was wondering if this was something others have noticed?? Regards.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I also have the exact same paint issues but the mower guys at work hit my bumper becuase the grass is against the parking lot. The way I am getting the deep gouge fixed on the bumper is by getting the entire bumper replaced on my TB. The bumper is warping just under the grill so the dealer is replacing it under warranty. Since it is an LS, I am having fog lights installed before they paint the new bumper. I found the factory fog lights on-line from a salvaged TB. I also have the door ding in the back passenger side but I don't know if they can use the same paint for the bumper to also touch-up the door. I read earlier on here that the bumper paint is made more flexible. Now I park away from the grass at work.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I would like to find some plugs for the roof rack mounting holes as well. I will never use it, if I could have deleted it I would have. Would have gladly paid money for the factory fog lights, and have no want or need for the roof rack. Also how did you remove the emblems - heat gun to soften up the adhesive or?? I am afraid I might screw up the paint tryiing to peel those rear emblems off. I can just see peeling off the layer of clearcote the sticky tape is stuck to. Did removal leave any marks in the paint? The paint certainly must still be a little soft when those are applied at the factory.
    I followed the instructions from tlauro's web site to shave off the emblems. I just used my girlfriend's hairdryer to loosen the glue and a rubber/plastic spatula to pry off the emblems. The remaining glue comes off easily with WD-40 and a clean and soft cloth. I didn't believe the WD-40 would work either but it works great. Not a single mark left after the emblem removal. Just take your time. Trust me, GM is cheap when it comes to glue. I would not advise a heat gun. Check out Tim's website for better instructions.
    I do remember seeing something about new pistons with a graphite coating on the skirts to reduce or eliminate the piston slap noise on cold start that was supposedly to be implemented on 4.2's built sometime after April '02. Seems like that was a couple hundred posts back.

Reminds me... anyone remember Arco Graphite motor oil in the mid-70's? Wonder what happened to that idea?
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    previousamigo, did you have a hard time getting your dealer to change the bumper under warranty? just curious, the only reason I'm afraid of trying is because I have some damage from 4x4ing, but right under the driver headlight to the grill section, my bumper is warping. Is that the same place yours is? funny thing is that there are four clips on the trailblazer bumper, right under the grill that go in from the airdam. If the clips are not in, it looks fine(they fell off during my 4x4 fun) but after you put them back, the warped area shows up again.... just some thoughts.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Reminds me... anyone remember Arco Graphite motor oil in the mid-70's? Wonder what happened to that idea?

Apparently graphite suspended in motor oil did no more for your engine than did teflon. $10-15 a quart for something that demonstrated no real performance cannot be a market winner in the long run.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • tjcishere1tjcishere1 Member Posts: 42
    i have an Envoy XL build date 5/02 don't let them tell you, u don't get head phones with that package they are full of it. You need to call the Zone office today and report that dealer. You tell GM customer service they had better send out those head phones today. or u will take legal action against the dealer. when u get the Dvd head phones and a wireless remote comes with it also the batteries are included. keep us posted
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Pine Barrens Trail Ride Sept 21st All SUVs welcome.

Info at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• dammitjim1dammitjim1 Member Posts: 95
    Thanks, tjcisphere1 for your advice. As it turns out, the sales rep who sold me the vehicle was on vacation the week after I picked up my LTZ, and was personally unable to correct the situation.

The business managers at the Potamkin dealership in Manhattan were totally inept at handling the matter - I got a different status every time I called about it, including that they were optional accessories! Either they were completely ignorant of how the truck was supposed to come equipped, or they figured I was.

On the the sales rep's first day back, he got the parts manager to UPS them to me. I got both headphones and the remote yesterday. Very impressive sound quality. I expect to hear very little from the back seat occupants on long trips!

So....when I get that survey from GM, the sales rep gets 'completely satisfied' in all areas.
    As for the Potamkin dealer management/Prep Dept....somewhere well south of that!

I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase with my LTZ.
    I hope that the reliability holds up over the 3yr lease life.
    Considering the experience at Potamkin thus far, I definitely DON'T plan on using them for service.
    Funny story. My plastic bumper is warping under the grill on the horizontal flat part and just above the license plate holder. There are three clips and the middle one was missing when I purchased it. If you push on it you can hear the sticky glue that didn't stick. It warped into one big bump and they replace the middle clip so then there were two other smaller bumps on each side of the middle clip.

I then took it to a different dealer for other numerous problems and they failed to fix many things that I specifically typed out for them. I think they are replacing the bumper because they are trying to suck up for all their mistakes and get a "completely satified" on the survey. It is nice to see them trying to get all my issues addressed. Since they are replacing the bumper, I am adding salvaged factory fog lights (I have the LS) before they paint the new bumper. I have seen new TBs on the dealers lot with the same warping plastic bumpers.
  • todd02todd02 Member Posts: 1
    (Search function isn't working)

Has anyone had their headliner sag/droop? My headliner is sagging just aft of the sunroof. If I push it up the adhesive sticks for a second but then you can hear the adhesive break and it sags again (about 1-2").

Not a huge problem yet but something I would consider taking to the dealer if I need other work done or during an oil change.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    There is a TSB for this one.

02-08-67-004 Headliner Sag At Rear of Sunroof Opening (replace velcro patches)
    I also had the saging headliner and it was making noise over small bumps. The sticky noise is actually not enough Velcro. They fixed mine under warrany (along with the broken door locks) and no more sagging or noise so far.
  • mlauricellamlauricella Member Posts: 24
    I agree the paint on these vehicles is sub-par. the lower part of the doors and especially just before the rear wheels have several chips. Not to mention a few on the hood.

My 97 Pontiac Grand Prix's paint is in better shape, and its got 110K on it. Thats CRAP!!
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    My paint still looks flawless after 6,000 miles and 6 months. However, I don't follow gravel trucks, or drive on many roads that aren't paved.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    My paint is chipped in a few places. All paint chips. They use sand here on the roads during the winter. I occasionally go offroad to get to hiking trailheads.
    I don't get all worked up about it. It's an SUV, it's supposed to look rugged.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    This is not a Chevy only problem. Since the EPA started requiring more enviromentally sound paints all manufacturer's paints have suffered. Subaru and Isuzu owners have complained about this as well.

-mike
  • cpufixer1cpufixer1 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know where I can get smoked tail lights for my '02 Envoy ? I have seen them on one truck and can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    Yesterday, i test drove an 2002 Envoy SLT and I must say that it drove pretty nice. It had heated leather seats, sunroof, a sub-par radio, as well as other amenities. I was wondering to all of the Envoy owners out there if: 1) they have been having any major problems with this SUV, like the TB; 2) the price was listed at $36,000, what should I negotiate down to or what is a good price?. 3) Should one take the $2500 rebate or go with the 0% financing? 4) Should I wait for the 2003 Envoys without the rebate?

I took it home for my wife and kids to see as well see if it could fit in my garage. My 2 year old daughter told me that she wanted it. Is this a sign?

I would like to wait for the Kia Sorento (all the extras at a low price) and Toyota 4-runner (quality and reliability), but I do not think I can wait that long.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    8K miles here, and my paint is pretty much flawless as well. I live right by the beach and have been on several long road trips and haven't suffered any paint problems. It's probably a build date sort of thing, like the orange peel.
    mhenderson1, I'm a trailblazer owner, so I'm not sure if I can help you on this, but IMO, 2003 Triplets have many things that were "addressed" for the new year. All the triplets share almost every major component, except for suspension, and the deco, including body panels. Most of the problems I have seen are re: the ECC fan clutch, electronic dual a/c, wandering mirrors, and other miscellaneas(??) things. As far as I am concerned, I have not had any major problems with my Trailblazer, and would recommend it over the overpriced 4Runner anyday. Personally, stay away from Kia and Hyundai, look at the TCO on edmunds.com. I have also looked at my insurance agents liability charts when I was looking for an SUV, and while they(Kia and Hyundai) are cheaper, the average cost of claims are significantly higher on those, and they own some of the worst resale values on the market... For me, the biggest challenge was between my Trailblazer the Acura MDX, and the Ford Explorer. Acura was gouging prices when I bought mine, and Ford, well, just don't care for them much from past experience w/ cars... =o)
  • babyshoesbabyshoes Member Posts: 23
    I am a new Envoy XL owner that is very happy. Yes you will read about a couple of things that FEW have had to go back and fix. That is the bulk of what this message board and other Car boards are used for: Complain about what is wrong and ask how to fix it. Again, I am happy as this is my second SUV experience. (Durango)

These Tripplets have great Fuel economy, great resell value, creature comforts, style, price for what you get, and great utility.

with just 1500 miles i am getting 18Mpg on the Hwy. Will get better and if you are looking at the Regular version you could even expect 23Mpg. NO SIMULAR SIZED SUV CAN COMPETE WITH THOSE MILEAGE NUMBERS!!!

Jeff
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    I've shaved off the emblems from the rear of my white Trailblazer LTZ, and now i'd like to find a way to rid myself of the big, guady "TRAILBLAZER" logo splashed down both sides, recessed into the side mouldings. That way the only emblem on the truck will be the bowtie in the grille (which I've replace with a polished billet bowtie to go with the billet grille I've installed).

Has anyone got any ideas for ridding themselves of the emblems in the doors, short of actually taking off all of the side moulding completely? Just prying the emblem out will still leave a funky looking depression in the moulding that I'm not too excited about.

Any thoughts anyone?
    GM could come out with that and call it the Chevy "Anonymous" !

But seriously.. looking at it, about the only thing you could do would be removiing all the side moldings and replacing with another aftermarket-type body side molding.
  • lockcityssrlockcityssr Member Posts: 21
    I'm in the same boat with my SLE Envoy, I wanted to add the chrome strips to fill the "empty" spots in the side moldings like the SLT comes with. But unfortunately these inserts are not available without buying the whole molding. Does anybody know of a source to buy universal chrome strips that we could cut to fit? I will be investigating this myself next week when I'm on vacation but I'll take all the help I can get!
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I purchased the extended warranty for my 02 TB LTZ partly because of a problem early on and all of the problems mentioned here for the past year. I have had a 97 Ford Econoline for 5 years and have had NO problems with it till today. The fuel pump quit and the tab for replacement was $685.00. That included a new fuel filter also. This would have been covered by the warranty. Dealer labor rates have gone up so fast it just makes sense to have the warranty.

Frank
  • acl1966acl1966 Member Posts: 24
    I haven't posted here lately but saw something interesting today. I received a GMC flyer to check out the new GMC trucks and for going to the dealer, they are giving away a free 141 piece tool kit. I went to get my tool kit (which I must say is very nice-great to keep in the back of the truck) and looked at the 2003 Envoys. They are identical to the 2002's with exception to the headlight switch. I did see an earlier post here saying the Onstar buttons were changed also. Did not see that, they are exactly the same as 2002's on the rearview mirror. However, the front bumpers were really nasty (both SLE and SLT). There were fifteen 2003 Envoys on the lot and they all had an inch gap between the top of the bumpers and bottom of the headlights and grills. They all looked really bad. Looked like someone sat on all those bumpers and they sagged down towards the ground. Wonder if it's an assembly problem? Glad I'm not buying one. My 2002 SLT 1SK is great-will be a year old next month. No problems at all. Paint is flawless (black/zaino). Only had the license gasket installed. The top of "my" bumper is flush with the bottom of the headlights-no big gap as seen on the 2003's. I wonder if anyone else will notice these front bumper defects in other states or is it just a "South Florida Thing".
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    "and while they(Kia and Hyundai) are cheaper, the average cost of claims are significantly higher on those, and they own some of the worst resale values on the market..."

I don't care about Resale Values. I would keep my vehicle until it's driven into the ground, then buy a new one.

Make sure it runs great for the dealer, then after they give you their money, RUN AND LAUGH! They will discover that it won't start the next morning. Oh, and people, never trade in your cars on a full tank. Trade it in with an Empty tank. And always beg for gas money. Every new car should come with a full tank.
  • cpufixer1cpufixer1 Member Posts: 5
    I have to agree with the front bumper problem. Every time I approach the Envoy from the front, it sickens me. Another example of GM's quality
    How much would you have spent on that extended warranty for your Ford - more or less than the $685? And would the extended warranty have gone past the 5 years you have owned it to cover anything else that might fail?

I still believe that extended warrantys are money makers for the underwriters or they wouldn't do it. However there is always that 1 in 10 chance you might come out ahead.

The in-tank electric fuel pump failed on my '88 S-10 2 years ago. Cost $140 for the new ACDelco pump and $150 labor to pull the tank to replace it. That's after driving it for 12 years.
  • babyshoesbabyshoes Member Posts: 23
    Catch All doesn't make a Cargo Tray for the Envoy.

does anyone else? good experiences?
  • dammitjim1dammitjim1 Member Posts: 95
    Hello All,

2 weeks into ownership of a 2002 LTZ and just managed to resolve the issue of missing DVD accessories.

The manual refers to a rear cargo shelf, which can apparently be mounted low or high against the back of the 2nd row seat, or positioned vertically., in which case grocery bags can be attached to the hooks. I don't seem to have this item. There is a rear cargo shade, but no shelf.

Is this item supposed to be there or not?
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    Lease loyalty rebates are back as of today!
  • bakednutbakednut Member Posts: 17
    To ANYONE, who can help me. not a crisis, but would like to resolve this. I have received my Hid Conversion kit, and want to install it. BUT i need to know how to PERMANENTLY disable my DRL's I also have a 1999 Toyota Solara with the same kit on. that car also has the DRL's, but i disable them when i first got that one. but when i put in the HID's the DRL's came back. I think it might have to do the the polarity adjusters. but i have to look in to that. i dont think its gunna be THAT big a deal. So anyway, i want to know if it is at all possible to permantly shut the DRL's off. because if i cant do taht im gunna return the HID's before i install them. Thanks in advance for any help~

Will
    I am considering buying a 2003 Envoy within the next 2-3 months. Although I will lose out on the $2500 rebates for the 2002's, I think I should get a "better" quality SUV (praying real hard) with the 2003's. Does anyone think I could get the same deal for a 2002 on a 2003, or will I be paying more. I would like to get a SLT (sunroof, heated seats, etc..) for at $30K plus TTF. Is this reasonable?
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    Lease loyalty rebates are back as of today!
  • bakednutbakednut Member Posts: 17
    To ANYONE, who can help me. not a crisis, but would like to resolve this. I have received my Hid Conversion kit, and want to install it. BUT i need to know how to PERMANENTLY disable my DRL's I also have a 1999 Toyota Solara with the same kit on. that car also has the DRL's, but i disable them when i first got that one. but when i put in the HID's the DRL's came back. I think it might have to do the the polarity adjusters. but i have to look in to that. i dont think its gunna be THAT big a deal. So anyway, i want to know if it is at all possible to permantly shut the DRL's off. because if i cant do taht im gunna return the HID's before i install them. Thanks in advance for any help~

Will
  • adjguyadjguy Member Posts: 10
    I am ordering mudflaps for my 2003 Envoy and need the part #'s so I make sure I get the right one's. They said I had to go with the flat ones in the front, but I said I didnt due to what I read on this board. Can anyone please help me with the part #'s so I can get this right?

I read way back about a part that keeps the brights and the low beams on at the same time. Can someone please direct me the right way so I can get this part?

And I am going to be using Amsoil synthetics all throughout m vehicle. But was told not to use synthetic for the break-in period. Any thoughts?

ADJGUY
  • jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    Dammit,

I posed the same question shortly after taking delivery of my Envoy at the end of April. Turns out that standard wheel base versions get the cargo cover, while the EXT/XL versions get the shelf.

I know this is not explained very well in the manual (that is how I found out about the shelf's existence), but I believe it is in there. I also checked GMC's website about differences between the reular and long-wheelbase versions and that was one of the differences.

HTH,
    JAW
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    This transmission is known for its big gap between 1st and 2nd gear. That's probably part of the reason for the high shift point.
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    adjguy, I'll checkout the part number for you on Monday. I work in parts at a GM dealer. But I do believe they are the same for '02 & '03.

Front molded with GMC logo is 12497606

Rear molded with GMC logo is 12497607

But wait till Monday I'll make sure.

You can see them at: http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessories/modellistEnv.html

I recall reading a TSB about the new GM's and how the DRL's are now standard. It went on to say that the only people who could have the DRL's permanently disabled were law enforcement because of their "covert" needs(or something) To permanently disable correctly according to GM, you would have to get a signed affidavit that the vehicle is for law enforcement use and that it will be returned to original condition before sale to the public, blah blah. Then you need a new program for the ECU and some high level password that the technicians have to call in to get... or... you can see if there is a DRL fuse, and pull it... see what happens.. =o)heres the website:
    http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/August2001/articles/drl.htm
    hope this helps.
  • mraumrau Member Posts: 50
    -
    Just a tip: I got some grease on the gray carpet in the Envoy cargo area from some stuff I had back there (that's another story). Not sure how to clean it up, but my brother said try WD-40. So I sprayed it on and rubbed with a rag. The grease spot went away like magic and looks good as new. Smelled like WD-40 for a couple of days, but it worked great.

--Mike
  • bruser1bruser1 Member Posts: 31
    So all this is just really about convenience, since any of us can temporarily disable this feature by pressing the dome override button four times in six seconds with the ignition in run or on the fly.
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Don't know if any of you ever heard of this stuff (in the purple bottle) but it also works great for everything!

Whenever I have a stubborn carpet stain, I will usually spray a little on a damp terry cloth towel and rub! It gets rid of anything! I took my Impala in for a 3K oil change last month and the mechanic accidentally got a little oil on my cloth headliner with his hat. Unfortunately, my interior color is a verrry light "neutral" leather with matching cloth headliner. A dab of super clean on my white terry cloth towel removed the oil quickly.

I found my stake in Super Clean when my dad let me try a bottle of his to clean my tires. Wow did the dirt roll right off of the black side walls of the tires. Now, I use the super clean (very diluted and applied to my terry cloth of course) to do the initial "blue jean" stain removal from my leather seats, followed by a thorough rinsing. Then I finish the application with my Lexol Cleaner + Lexol Conditioner. Unfortunately I have learned that the Lexol Cleaner does not do as thorough of a job removing the blue jean dye from leather seats.

Just my two cents!

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • jurassic3kjurassic3k Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if I could order the painted door handles for my 02 Envoy from GM or will I have to order the paintable ones and have someone paint them? Also what do you think it would cost to have 4 handles painted. Thanks
  • dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    check these out. I like the pseudo skidplates in the front and back.

http://www.starcraft.mitsui.co.jp/trailblazer/accessories.html
    I test drove a 2003 TB LTZ yesterday an I have to say that I was thoroughly disappointed with it. I felt that that the seat were very uncomfortable (seems like the Envoy had better leather), the engine seemed to have a warble sound when you pressed on the accelerator, and I couldn't stand the tremendous sea of cheap plastic. I opened up the rear hatch window, and the defogger line wire connections came apart from the window. As I stated before, I did a test drive of the Envoy a few days earlier. I was really impressed with the look and feel. But having seen the TB, I think I may need to take another test drive again and do a thorough examination of the interior. One thing about the TB and Envoy though, I and my wife felt that the seatbelts harness was place to far below your left (driver) and right (front pasenger) shoulder, and I after some time it kind of dug into your shoulder. What can you do to get around this problem?
  • cwhawkcwhawk Member Posts: 38
    My 2002 TB LTZ has (9,000 miles) the 3.42 rear axle. I have never been happy about the gas mileage. In combined driving, I get 14.5 mpg. On all highway driving, at a steady 65 mph, I get 18.9 - 19.2 mpg. The mileage has been constant from the first tank of gas.

My dealer has checked and said everything is within specs.

Has anyone had any adjustments done that improved gas mileage?