Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    .....this message because it will probably be ignored. I guess I like reading my own messages.

We picked up our van today after having the tranny fix done. The technician tried to reflash the TCM, but he said it wouldn't accept any reprogramming. He ordered a new TCM and it came with the new program, so all he had to do was install it. There were no hard shifts today, but I guess only time will tell if this is actually the fix.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    any description of what version the 'new' TCM is? I think it's behind the plastic on the passenger side - you can see what markings are on it to verify it's version.

-Brian
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Not that I have anything to say, but I'm just replying to your message to make sure you don't feel ignored :)
  • sugoiyasugoiya Member Posts: 12
    Check out the 2006 MPV discussion board. European posters there have already received information that the MPV will be pulled from that market. Perhaps Mazda has the same plans for Canada as well.

It's not surprising to me that Mazda is ramping down production on the MPV. A recent check of the dealer inventory in my area showed that there are literally hundreds of 2003's sitting around and an even greater number of 2004's. It's too bad. I love my PeeVee, but it's clear that I'm in the unprofitable minority.
    subearu

The new TCM's part number ends with an "N". The one it replaced ended with a "K".

sugoiya

It's too bad the MPV doesn't sell better, and I really don't understand why it doesn't. It really compares well to the other vans available and I think it actually drives the best of all of them. I guess the majority of the minivan buying public wants the larger vans. That's the only thing I can think of.
  • adzamadzamadzamadzam Member Posts: 2
    Mazda's own internal research show, the biggest reason why mpv is not selling is its size.
  • sugoiyasugoiya Member Posts: 12
    can't make due with regular sized packaging anymore.

I still have hope though. Mazda and Ford announced long ago that they're working on a new line of vans that will use the Mazda6's platform and a new 3.5 liter V-6. So, I actually expect the MPV to take a short hiatus while the factories retool.

Just cross your fingers and hope the project doesn't get axed. Mazda may wind up selling rebadged Freestars if that happens.
  • oldmedicoldmedic Member Posts: 78
    I still like you. Sometimes I too get the feelin' I'm posting to myself. If you feel like your not gettin' enough attention we can ask the host to open a discussion area with a name like, "alienated members problems" or "problems of the socially challenged". ha ha.
    The only problem with that idea is you and I would probably be the only people posting in that topic. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe y'all can take it to email :-)

Looks like a SWB Caravan is going to be the only small MV left, and I don't think it's as small as the MPV.

Too bad, if it's true. The PeeVee is about the same size as my '99 Quest and anything bigger won't fit into my 70's era garage. Unless I turn it into a one car garage.

Steve, Host
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    i might purchase a used MPV because I will need a dog hauler after I sell my Grand Cherokee. I also like the row down windows in the back, the dogs will LOVE that!
    Maybe we could take it to email because we're disturbing all of these "on topic" topics with our "off topic" discussion? :)
    I'll show up this week if you hold off on the Corvette questions!

Steve, Host
  • dlmc4dlmc4 Member Posts: 26
    We just bought a pop up camper that we plan on towing with our 03 LX. It weighs approx. 2,000 lbs and I figure about another 500 lbs. of gear to go with it. We do have the towing pkg which is rated at 3,000 lbs so it seems like a good fit. Just wondering if anybody has any feedback on what the MPV is like when towing a camper or trailer?

I've got about 1,500 mi. on the TCM reflash and absolutely no hiccups or complaints. Smooth as butter.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Flexa concept is a thinly disguised Mazda4 and the production version will be shown in Paris in Sept. (remember, the Mazda3 in the form of the "Sportif" debuted at Geneva last year, and we've had the real thing in our market since late 2003). Apparently the Flexa will also be shown at the NYC auto show in April. As much as I like the current MPV, the Flexa/4 works for me better because it's smaller (only slightly),lighter, and, with the 6's 2.3l four, should get way better mileage....that's my knock against the MPV...even though it's smaller and less powerfull than the competition, it's mileage is no better (and in some cases much worse). For those of you who find the Flexa/4 too small, perhaps Mazda will offer a version of the next-generation Freestar which will be built off the Mazda6 platform. Anyway, I do hope we get the Mazda4/Flexa (in Canada, at least). It fits perfectly in the gap between Toyota Matrix-type vehicles (a liitle too small for our needs) and the mega-minivans (Sienna, Odyssey, et al)which are way too large.
    As long as you stay under the 3000 lbs towing limit, you shouldn't have any problems.

We ordered our PeeVee with the 4 seasons package, but we didn't get the factory hitch or wiring harness. I called around a couple weeks ago to get some estimates to have a hitch and wiring harness installed. Most places wanted right around $400, so I decided to look online to buy the materials and install the stuff myself.

I ended up ordering a hitch, wiring harness, and a light kit which my trailer needs. I got all 3 items from etrailer.com for $199 shipped.

I installed the hitch and wiring harness today. The hitch was kind of a pain in the butt to install, but mainly because I installed it by myself. Because of the weight of the hitch, trying to hold it in place and install the bolts at the same time was a bit tricky. If I had someone helping me, it would've been a breeze. The wiring harness went in without any problems. It's a good thing I ordered the harness that came with a circuit tester. This made the install very easy. Without it, it would've been a mess.

For anyone looking to add a hitch to your PeeVee, this is a good route to go. It costs half of what it would cost to have one installed, and the job takes a very minimum of mechanical skills.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    For anyone thinking about towing anything over 1000lbs....you must have the larger radiator and A/T oil cooler, which is part of the 4 seasons package......
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    The 3000lb towing limit isn't really any such animal. From the manual:

"The total trailer weight (TTW) is the sum of the weights of the trailer load (trailer
    weight plus cargo), trailer hitch, vehicle passengers, and vehicle load. Never allow
    the total trailer weight (TTW) to exceed specifications in the Trailer Towing-Load
    Table."

With the 4-seasons package, the maximum TTW is 3000lbs (again from the manual). Pulling a 2500lb trailer leaves only 500lbs for hitch, passengers and luggage. Only with no passengers, no luggage and a zero weight hitch can you tow 3000lbs.

There are a bunch of other limits that need to be calculated too - GCWR, GAWR, GVWR, etc. All in the manual.

I pull a 1500lb boat trailer. That's as much as I personally want to tow with 2 adults, 2 kids and "stuff".

Steve.
    Maybe some incentive questions would be timely ;-)

Steve, Host
  • dlmc4dlmc4 Member Posts: 26
    That 3,000 lbs number is a little misleading since it includes the weight of all occupants and gear in the van too. So basically you can tow 3,000 lbs so long as you have a remote control MPV with no gear inside?
    Are all the trivia answers going to be "C" again this week Sneakers?

Steve, Host
  • redoutbackredoutback Member Posts: 3
    We are about to purchase a 2004 MPV ES.
    How important is the 'All seasons' pkg. if we don't plan to do any towing? I hear the engine is made by Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily). Do they also make the tranny? Several friends of ours have had problems with Ford auto trannys. Maybe that's why Mazda limits their warranty to 4yrs/50k - instead of longer on the drive train like many other mfr's.
    YFINJ
    Red
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    The MPV Tranny is from JATCO, a Japanese Auto Transmission Co.
    It did have a small problem on the Tranny Control Module (sometimes hard-shift 2-3 upshift after 25 mins driven), the Mazda software fix in Feb seems to be working. I got the fix as well, now smooth like butter.
  • rumor24rumor24 Member Posts: 74
    If you live anywhere it might get cold, I recommend it. In order to get traction, you have to have it. I have it, live in the midwest, and am glad I have it. It will depend on your climate. There are other things it offers besides towing. I had the fix as well and my tranny so far has held up.
  • owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    The all seasons package includes: 3000-lb. towing capacity, AT oil cooler, large radiator, heavy-duty battery, heated door mirrors, rear heater, cold-spec wiper motor, large windshield washer fluid tank.

Regardless of whether or not you tow, it is worth it to get the package. The AT oil cooler helps extend the life of the trasmission. The larger capacity radiator does the same for the engine. The heated mirrors are great to burn off the morning dew or frost. you will appreciate the large washer tank if you live in a dusty or snowy (think salt spray) are. The heater adds to the comfort of the rear seat occupants.

RBB
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Hey folks. Got my MPV reflashed for the shift flare problem a month ago and it's still doing it. I want to take it in again, but want to know what version is the latest just so the dealership can confirm they have it. Also, was there an issue date for the software? Any help would be appreciated!
    Apparently that dealer didn't do the right job. Bring the car to other Mazda dealer. Suggest to them to use Mazda's latest download that was available early Feb. The fix is a 2-steps process that involve (1) reprogram the TCM & (2) reprogram PCM. for repair slip details please refer to my post at
    Mazda > MPV > Problems & Solutions > P185 > Msg #3683
    TCM = Transmission Control Module
    PCM = Powertrain Control Module
    If you are in the chicago area I can direct you to my dealership about an hour away. They did my reflash and I have had no trouble since. These guys are pretty up on things. let me know and I will give you their name
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    You guys rock! Thanks much. Rumor... would love to know where you took yours. Thanks!
  • daron1daron1 Member Posts: 18
    I just had the reflash done yesterday to my '04. This might(?) help mjvchicago. Also, I asked for anyone to post specific reflash info. a few weeks ago, but I never saw a post with other than very general info., so I'm posting this in case anyone is having trouble w/their dealer/service dept. I don't know what these #'s mean, but they might help someone facing an unhelpful service dept.

XX531XRX SB 05/11/02 - Shift Shock-TCM Reflash
    342 W94
    FC: 269J
    Part#: AJ51-18-9E1
    No problem. Anderson nissan/mazda/suzuki in Rockford IL. They will treat you right not only in the service area but in the sales area as well. If you want to email me, I will give you the phone number for the dealership and easy directions on how to get there from I90. I have had really good luck with them at this dealership and they own a toyota dealership which treated me well also. They also have a mazda dealership in sycamore as well but I just don't know how there service is. The ones in Rockford are really good to work with.
    Anderson direction
    I-90(W) > I-39(N) > Rt-55W (3 mi) > R-Turn on N Alpine Rd. (between Rt-55/Rt-25)
    Well, there you go. Bigdadi must have been there before. Ther is 2 people who are familiar with the dealer then. Must be ok.
  • tom2003tom2003 Member Posts: 1
    bottgers, I've been trying to figure out what to do with my 2003 MPV with 4 seasons, re: trailer hitches. I read you post and was encouraged.
    etrailers.com looks good. Do you have any advice? Can you tell me the specific hitch and harness you bought? At this point, I'm planning on calling etrailers.com to place the order so that they can help me out getting the correct stuff. The hitch looks straight forward - I think I'll get the Hidden Hitch class III round tube hitch they have (my MPV does not have the GFX package), but the harness (or hardwire kit?) is confusing to me. How bout Wiring Harness Mounting Brackets? Are they necessary? I just want to make sure I get everything I need.

Thanks in advance!
    I think it is not a bad idea to call mazda re whether it'll affect b2b warranty before purchasing the trailer hitch from outsider instead of OEM. The hitch installation involves hookup of elec. wiring to the car. Later if there is a problem on something then they may blame on the hitch wiring since it's not approved or installed by Mazda.
    I heard horrible story that under warranty but dealer refused service / repair due to a remote starter was installed and dealer won't touch the car until the remote starter is UN-installed even there's already a svc bulletin re same problem.
  • kolt1kolt1 Member Posts: 25
    Question about changing the oil filter on a 2004 LX. Do you have to remove the plastic shroud directly below the filter (or at least loosen it)? After removing the filter, how much work is it to clean off the manifold pipe which is also located below the filter? Last but not least, what size socket removes the drain plug? Thanks in advance for all answers/suggestions.
  • owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    On my 2002, I remove the bolts from the shroud in the middle and passenger side. Cover the manifold with foil and you will have no clean up problem. Not sure off the top of my head the size of the drain plu, but it is metric ;)

RBB
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    MPV market. While it is true that I don't see nearly as many in Fresno, CA. as the Odys, Siennas, etc. it fills a great niche market as a "mini" van and its interior space is hugely functional. I would hate to see it disappear.

John, '02 LX
    It seems the MPV posting areas are pretty quiet for past week. After the hardshift problem is pretty much settled by reflash of TCM & PCM, probably no new problem pops up. I love my PeeVee.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    No problems, good mileage (23.3 calculated on the last fill-up). Quiet, comfortable, as much room as we need. We love it!
    a couple of weeks ago.

2004 LX
    -LX Plus Pkg
    -4 Seasons Towing Pkg
    -Traction Control w/Side Air Bags
    -Power Sliding Doors
    -Whitewater Pearl Paint

So far, very satisfied. The firmer driver's seat is going to take awhile to break in.
    I traded in a 13 yr. old Chevy Lumina APV (bought new) with 144k on the odo. I figure this one should last me at least 20yrs and 200k miles.
    The hitch I ordered from etrailer.com is the class III HiddenHitch with a 2" receiver part #70583. The wiring kit I used is the 4 pole hardwire kit part #18251. You don't need to oreder anything else as the hitch and wiring kit come with everything you need.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    15mm wrench for the oil drain plug......
    Thanks.
  • avelectroavelectro Member Posts: 9
    Here's a link to an AutoWeek.com Driver's Log where they have tested an '04 MPV, looks like an ES. http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_cod- e=carboard&loc_code=index&content_code=07078084

I'm very happy with my '04 Sunlight Silver ES and I am glad to read favorable reports on the MPV that don't also include "great vehicle but not as big as the others". Sometimes smaller really is better!
    .....could just get the PeeVee's gas mileage up there where it should be......
  • mikmmikm Member Posts: 1
    I want to know if anybody out there has any information on the 2005 mpv and what, if any additional features it will have. Will it get a horsepower boost? Also will it have any additional safety features such as stability control and three row side curtain airbags? No luck contacting Mazda.
    Try looking in the Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda4 discussion. (Post #1 suggests few changes for '05).

Steve, Host
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    I'm closing in on 1000 miles and would like to hear some opinions on whether I should change the oil or wait. I've read some of the past posts regarding this topic and was also wondering about whether I could/should change grades and/or go with a synthetic. I've been using 5W-30 in all of my vehicles (every 3k) since the early 90's and have not had one major engine problem. I understand that I would probably see a drop in mpg if I changed to a 5W-30, but I believe it would be minimal. One side note... I will be taking a 400+ mile road trip this weekend and am strongly considering changing it over to 5W-30 synthetic. I welcome all suggestions and opinions. BTW, the thing runs like a top, can't wait to get it out on the open highway for a few hours.