Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• 86lude86lude Member Posts: 1
    Hi im 16 and i have purchased an 86 prelude and i am wondering where i could buy some lowering springs an i cannot find any for an 86 prelude anywhere if anyone could tell me what to do please get back to me
  • isjoeythereisjoeythere Member Posts: 4
    I have a 4 speed automatic, '97 Prelude with 120k miles on it, recently bought for $3500.

On my way home from dropping off a friend yesterday, and about three minutes from my house, I noticed that my speedometer had dropped to 0 even though I had to be doing at least 60. As I drove, it spurratically jumped around in the range between 0 and 60 regardless of my speed, except that when I came to a stop, it stayed at 0. Simultaneously, what I think is the check engine light came on, and the green D4 light on the panel of transmission lights started flashing instead of being steady. As all this was going on, the car drove like normal and seemed fine in every other respect.

I don't have an owners manual, and because all these lights came on at the same time, I'm suspecting that it must be the same problem. This morning, I checked the oil and found out that it was bone dry. I also had just been to the pump to put $6 worth of gas in her about 30 minues before the incident.

Any suggestions or diagnosis?
    update:

I drove it again, and the problem was gone. I filled up the oil, transmission fluid, ect.

Next morning, I take off and the D4 light is flashing again, speedometer reads 0. D4 light doesn't start flashing until I put the car in drive. I think it might be a transmission problem, but when I got to school, I popped the hood and saw that a small amount of smoke was coming up from behind the back right of the engine. The check engine light never went off, even when the problem was gone. I checked all the fluids and they're fine. I think I might be burning oil.

:lemon:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    THere were problems with the automatics for the first year or 2 of production.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• hrchrc Member Posts: 11
    About the Sunroof, it's a very common problem with a easy fix. Do you notice it ALOT when the sunshade is pulled back and not so much when the shade is covering the windows? Mines makes noise when the rubber surround of the moonroof dries up. My dealer friend gave me some honda silicone to put around the rubber surround and it went away! I just reapply when the gel dries up after a few months. Hope this helps!

Danny
  • jimftworthjimftworth Member Posts: 4
    The speedometer problem is likely the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It's a little part half the size of a cell phone that bolts to the transmission housing somewhere, usually in the most inaccessible place. There is a gear on one end. It goes inside the transmission sealed with an o ring and held with one 10 mm bolt. As it spins around, when the car is moving, a magnet inside creates an electrical signal. There is a wire that plugs in to it leading to the speedometer. Gone are the days when a cable with a metal shaft inside connected the transmission to the speedometer head. You are getting an intermittent signal causing the speedometer to jump and thus confusing the car's computer by not telling the engine the correct fuel and air ratios it should have. The check engine light is coming on because the engine is running fast while the computer thinks it is not causing the "what the hell ?" function to work. Replacing it will likely solve the problem. I have done this on my 97 Accord V6 and 92 Civic. Both had the identical problem you described. They are not cheap but you can get one at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, some place like that (maybe $50 or $60, go on line and look it up). Your problem may be with a bad wire or the socket plug in, considering all of the oil and crud that must be in that area. I wouldn't be afraid to try. The biggest problem is finding it, probably from underneath the car. All you need is a 10mm socket wrench with a short extension bar. When the D4 light is flashing it means the problem is happening at that moment rather than a stored signal from some time in the past. Once the check engine light goes on, you can't turn it off yourself unless you either disconnect the battery cable for two minutes or more, or take the radio fuse out for two minutes (it may be a different fuse on your car). If you do this and your car radio has theft protection circuitry, be sure you know the radio's security code, or you will no longer have a working radio. It would be interesting to try this to see if the check engine light comes back on again. If it does, you can take your car to the Honda dealer who will charge you $80 to tell you what's wrong but not fix it. Or you can take it to Auto Zone, where they will come out to your car, use their code reader machine, and tell you generally what's wrong for free. I would check your oil VERY frequently. If it really was bone dry, there is probably some engine block, valve train damage :cry::cry:
    I'm ready to post a picture of my unrestored 79 Prelude. But I don't know how. Can some one clue me in ? I know quite a lot about Hondas and early Preludes but don't have a clue how to attach a photo. I thought I would start off with this first picture. Then every so often, later on, post a picture showing what restoration progress is being made (if any). I expect to spend a year or so doing this as I can only work on it part time on weekends.
  • hrchrc Member Posts: 11
    "I'm ready to post a picture of my unrestored 79 Prelude. But I don't know how. Can some one clue me in ?..."

To post a picture, it must first be loaded on a website like sony's imagestation, from there, just copy the "properties" portion of the picture and paste it here with the image
  • prelude00prelude00 Member Posts: 2
    hey guys,what's up. i just signed up for this forum and it's great. i have a 2000 pearl white honda prelude. one problem though my timing belt tensioner went out on it with 49000 miles on it. i previously read on prior postings that honda dealers will try to fix this problem or at help help out in the cost with rebates or whatever, what do i need to tell them or even do to take that into consideration. please help me out, it hurts to see my baby just sitting in the drive way dead.
    kp
    If you bought this car at a Honda dealer and have had it since new, Honda should fix it either free of charge or close to it. Timing belt tensioners do not fail at 49,000 miles (except on your car apparently). I had a new air conditioning compressor replaced on a 90 Civic totally free once and it had over 50,000 miles on it. There are many unwritten warranty rules Honda and others have to keep their customers happy. Like on my wife's 97 Accord V6, it has a 150,000 mile warranty on the emissions system, not publicized, unless one asks. Take it to the dealer and complain. Tell them you bought this car based upon their reputation for qualtity. This part should not fail so soon and you want it replaced under warranty. If they say no, then ask for the telephone number, address, email address and name of the Honda regional warranty office. Contact them with your complaint, and I bet you will eventually get satisfaction. Worked for me.
    a poster named "linard" here on the Prelude board reported having the same problem. Do a search on this board and you'll find your answer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks. I took the car to a private mechanic before I read your response and he said the exact same thing. About the oil: I had a mechanic check out the car before I bought it, and he said there were a few leaks. What I think must be happening is that the oil is leaking onto the manifold and burning there, and when I drove in 5:00 traffic that day to take my friends home, it swelled the size of the leak. I didn't smell oil or see smoke until I added more oil, so there must be a fairly high leak. The mechanic estimate to fix all the leaks was 180-someodd dollars, so I think I'm going to do that. Thanks for everything, especially the advice about getting the check engine light to turn off. I probably would have had real trouble with that.
  • prelude00prelude00 Member Posts: 2
    hey thanks for the post, i'm here in knoxville tn, and i've talked to these service guys and they don't want to bring up the fact that they have to pay for the tensioner and fixing the problem. how would i get a hold of linard, that way i can ask him how to get the proper documentation and exactly who and what i need to do to get this problem fixed.
    thanks again
    I'd give Honda Corporate a call.

• 5speedguy5speedguy Member Posts: 12
    Need your advice: I'm looking at '93 Prelude SI with 4 wheel steering, 5 spd, 130,000 mi, great paint and interior. Asking $4300 OBO. Any trouble spots I need to be concerned with--especially on the 4 wheel steering? Also, how can I tell if I need a new timing belt? Seller had since 103,000mi and didn't change it. Thanks!!
    Sweet Car. Rule of thumb with a timing belt is evry 60K miles. Assuming the previous owner changed it at 60K, it definitely needs changing again (as a precaution).

I'd have the car checked out at a Honda dealership or Honda mechanic (maybe even call Honda Corporate). They'd be better qualified to answer questions about the longevity of the Electronic 4WS unit. I'd be wary of any computer controlled device on a 12 year old car. If that goes, it could be quite expensive to replace.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the quick reply. Honda will do a thorough pre-purchase inspection for $150.00
    That will be $150 very well spent. Let us know what happens.

• mrpreludemrprelude Member Posts: 3
    Hey whats up
    Thanks for your input. My sunroof rattles whether the sunroof shade is pulled shut or withdrawn. I took it to the dealer 3x for the same problem. They lubed the seals each time and told me that the problem should go away. Three months later,my sunroof still rattle's and my roof's seals have globs of grease all over. When I open and close the roof, it noticeably shakes as if it is skipping on the rack. The dealer told me that the next step would be to replace ALL the hardware that are used in assembling the roof. They said it would cost me $1000. I really don't want to spend that much to fix the problem. $1000 can get you a sunroof on a NEW car so spending that much on a 4 year old roof seems ridiculous. I'd really appreciate it if I can get more advice about some cheaper methods for fixing my rattling roof. Thanks.
    Hey, I have almost the same problem in my 97 Prelude. The problem only occurs when I'm opening the sunroof, and only at the very end. I don't really have any advice, but I'm interested in any response or further info you get about the problem.
  • sr4sr4 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 90 Prelude with auto trans. I washed the engine with Gunk's "Foamy Brite" engine cleaner the other day. I covered the electronics beforehand, and removed the covers after rinsing. After letting the engine dry I went for a spin and discovered that when starting off and in the first two gears, then engine was rough and sounded almost like it was backfiring. It also felt like the car was shaking a little bit. I would hit the gas, the revs would go up, but the speed wouldn't. Once I get above 40, all seems to be fine. But I do lose power when going up hills. I suspect that some water got somewhere that the car didn't like. I removed my distributor cap, air filter and spark plugs. Cleaned them, but no change. I think it may be the fuel injection. I added a cleaner to the gas, but ne significant change as of yet. If I hold my foot steady on the gas, the car will intermitantly drop up and down (from bad speed to good speed). And here's the kicker: Every morning when I start the car and go to work, the car runs like it normally should. Not sure if during the day water is evaporating and messing something up.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
  • timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    I'm still here, up to 15k on mine. Still loving it!
  • jumblejowlsjumblejowls Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1989 Honda Prelude. A few years ago my mechanic switched the a/c to use the 134 coolant, and I've been having problems ever since. Usually, a hose blows every few weeks. Do I need to replace the entire a/c system with 134 specific parts? If not, which of the old system parts besides hoses are most vulnerable to problems?

Also, the latest failure occurred 2 days ago. The a/c was running fine when I started on a 70-mile trip, but gradually the "air flow" coming out the vents diminished. By the end of the trip, almost no air was coming into the passenger compartment, but what little there was (almost nothing) was still cold. Now there's just hot air.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    jumblejowls, you might also want to run this problem past the folks in the Climate Control Problems: All Cars Forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Hi:

Well I bought the '93 Si 4WS for $3900. I love how it handles (especially with the 4WS, love the short "snick" of the shifter, and the grunt of the DOHC Si. It also is very comfortable & just plain looks good.

The sale went smoothly and seller gave me name of mechanic who specializes in Japanese autos. He will change timing belt, water pump and do seals for about $650. Honda quoted approx $900.

After a new timing belt, K&N filter, and a tune-up I hope to use it @ a track car day @ Summit Point Raceway in WVa. Of course, I'll need to work on my heel-and-toe skills. Thanks for your previous interest.
    congrats! Good luck with your car. Keep us posted on your driving adventures.

• jp79ludejp79lude Member Posts: 1
    Also have a 79 Prelude, use Majestic quite a bit. With gas prices going up I thought about converting the Prelude into an electric car. My has 149,000 - long story. Check out the pics (after the family photo). Be interested in seeing what your project looks like.

http://teacherweb.com/CA/MenifeeValleyMiddleSchool/Pinckard/gallery1.stm
  • aamondayaamonday Member Posts: 2
    Hi Linard...

I came across the posting about your Prelude's tensioner and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction as to who I would need to contact at Honda North America about the same problem. I have a 2000 Honda Prelude (my baby) and it started making that bolt-type sound around a year ago around 2 rpms. I finally decided to take it to my local Honda dealership last weekend and they did a diagnostic and told me it's the tensioner. I thought it was possibly do to the amount of miles on the car (approx. 75k), however after reading the message board I'm thinking it could just be a Prelude issue. The dealership wants to charge me $1300 to replace the tensioner and all belts, the water pump and to replace my seals. I would appreciate any advice you can give me since I don't know too much about cars...

Thank you!

Allison
    Have you owned your Prelude since new? Did you have the timing belt changed at 60,000 miles (a must if you don't want catastrophic engine damage)?

• aamondayaamonday Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I bought my Prelude new in 2000. I take my car to Honda for all service and repairs. I had a major tune up done on the car around 60k miles and they took a look at the belts but didn't suggest changing any at that time. I mentioned to them that I was hearing a slight noise under the hood, but when they drove the car they didn't hear it. Any ideas when tensioners generally go out on a car?

Thanks you!
  • elbeeelbee Member Posts: 2
    My first tensioner started rattling at 52K, the second one at 40K. The morons at the dealer didn't get it right until the 3rd try.
    July has been a busy month for my Prelude. Since July 1st, I've logged over 2000 miles on it. We took it on a Westchester County (NYC suburb) to Pittsburgh, PA trip over July 4th weekend. Over 800 miles round trip. During one leg of the trip, I actually got 30 mpg while the speedo was hanging out north of the 80 mph mark with the AC blowing and no Cruise Control on.

Who says Preludes are impractical? This past week, my wife and I loaded up the Prelude with one full set of golf clubs, 2 rolling suit cases (like the kind Greg Focker tried to stuff in the overhead compartment), a few small duffel bags, and 2 folding beach chairs for a 3 day trip from our Apartment in Westchester to Cape Cod, Mass. I did 27mpg driving between 75mph & 90 mph.

I hit 50,000 miles last night on my way home from Cape Cod.

Still going strong, it seems like the car has broken in fairly well seeing your excellent gas mileage. These are too much fun to drive, and at the same time makes for an excellent daily driver.
    for the break-in, I just varied my speed and didn't floor it (no VTEC) for the first 1000 miles (that was painful). Most tanks I get between 22 & 24 mpg on a mix of 70/30 highway/city driving.

• booherjcbooherjc Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a 93-97 honda prulude, but before i do I want to buy a more high powered engine and rebuild it so that when I get the car I can just drop The engine in... So, I was wondering if there is a V6 or anything of higher power than the stock engine that will fit in a 93-97 prelude with minimal modification needed to fit in the engine compartment. Thanks in advance for you time...
    How high powered of an engine are you looking for? You could buy a JDM H22A crate motor or find a motor from a crashed S2000 and supercharge it. A V6 of somesort would weigh the car down and throw off the balance. What are you going to do with the car?

• booherjcbooherjc Member Posts: 2
    Since a V6 will throw the balance of the car off then I guess I'm looking for a high powered V4, and that JDM H22A looks like a nice engine. I'm not really looking to turn the car into anything special, just a fast everday car. Maybe drag it once and a while but nothing to big. So, which engine would you prefer in your prelude? and would you prefer supercharge or turbo? Thanks
  • pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    hello, i own a 93 prelude VTEC that i purchased new off the showroom floor. i've got 152,000 miles and still absolutely love my car.

any other 93 VTEC owners out there? what kind of ownership experience have you had so far? have you replaced your timing belt once or twice? (i've only replaced mine once at about 85K so i'm thinking i might be due again...)
    '93 VTEC is a great car! I'd replace the timing belt every 60K miles (especially with the high revving characteristics of the H22A).

You're better off looking for a '93-'96 Prelude VTEC. Just try and find one that hasn't been modified. That might be a better option than a JDM engine. Supercharging the engine will give you more low-end torque and it is a bolt-on modification that can be done (by a professional) somewhat easily. Turbocharging the H22A engine requires a lot of work and can cost upwards of 10 grand to have the job done right.

I'm not really into modifying my car. If I'm going to spend a few thou on it, I'd rather just get something new.

• fastlex2000fastlex2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forums, I'm 17, and in the chicago suburbs area. I got a 93 300zx twin turbo when I turned 16, and drove it for about a year, then my engine started to knock and my engine pretty much blew. I had to get a daily driver/reliable car....
    Last week I saw a dark blue..maybe midnight blue? not sure of the technical color honda gave it, 1994 prelude S. I didn't know what kind of prelude it was bc the back of it didn't say anything but just Prelude, and it was from a small dealership. The outside was in great condition, no dings or cracks or anything. The inside was in MINT condition, the engine...oh wow, clean and quiet when idle, clean condition as well. I drove it and it drove so awesome! The car had 86,700 miles on it, I figured for an 11 year old car, it was really good to only have that many miles. For a honda it was barely being broken in. I loved how the car looked, since I'm going to go for a r33 body conversion along with the taillights. I bought the car last week for $4,900, then with taxes and title, it was about $5,400.. I got home and saw that the engine type was a f22 I believe...so I was somewhat disappointed that it wasn't an h22, or an Si. I'm working on speed and performance on my 300zx, as I'll be upgrading to ball bearing twin turbos on it next spring. My daily driver and show car will be the lude I just got. Does $5,400 seem reasonable for the lude I got? I know an S is only pushing about 130-135 horse, and the Si's do about 180-200? I'm used to driving 355 whp, (dyno on my 300zx) My 300zx is manual too, and the lude is automatic, which is fine for winter driving. Is there anything I can do beside those 3,000-5,000 dollar turbo kits, or a 1,500 dollar H22 engine swap, that'll give me about 200-250 Horsepower, and still be reasonable? Also...
    I've been looking at which exhausts to get on my lude, and I notice HKS doesn't really have any for it, I've stuck with hks for all my parts on my 300, but I'm thinking about getting the apexi N-1, they got for about $500? I've noticed that they advertise it to be pretty quiet. I'm more of a fan for loud exhausts, would I have to rely on a nice AEM intake, in order to make my lude pretty loud? or is there any recommendation as to which exhaust I should get? Thanks, well, I'm 17, and I suppose the automatic transmission doesn't really help the car when it comes to exhaust sounds, but I hope someone can help me out with getting my lude running like I know a prelude can :-) Been enjoying driving it, rides like a dream. I just installed an alpine cd player on it, bc the honda stock stereo really sucked hehe. For now, I just want a nice loud and nice looking exhausts, and intake. If anyone can help me, I'd greately appreciate it, thanks.
  • jmac7jmac7 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys

I'm so happy, only because i'm picking up my new 2000 Prelude Sh tomorrow. I'm looking forward to driving it on the highway and opening up the Vtec. I've been reading your posting guys and everyone seems really happy as a matter of fact thrilled with their Prelude-that's awesome to see guys.
    You'll be very happy with your new ride. What color are you getting? How many miles are on the car? What are you paying for it? Are you buying it from a private party or a dealer?

The wife calls me at work the other day and says she needs me to make a Costco & Stew Leonard's (grocery store) run on my way home. I tell my Dad (who is also my boss) where I'm going. His response was: "Is Rebecca meeting you there?" Me: "No, Why?" Dad: "I'm just wondering how you're going to fit all that stuff into your car."

My Dad likes to pick on my Prelude because of its relatively dimunitave size.

Now granted it is only my wife and I in the house, but I fit a whole lot of stuff in my car among the sea of SUVs and Minivans at the Costco Parking lot. In the trunk I put 2 - 2.5Gal cases of Water, I case of Bottled water, I case of Propel, Case of Garabge bags, Package of chicken... Damn impressive for a small car.

Not too many people post anymore, I like to keep whoever's watching updated about my car. I came about 12 hours away from getting rid of it. Not because I don't still love it, but because I want a new BMW 325i sooooooooo bad. So many people ask, why a BMW? Because they are the only car I'd be able to drive that will outhandle my Prelude. So much else out there isn't right. I decided to keep the Prelude because I decided that I couldn't afford the lease payments (well I could, but it would be stretching it).

My 2001 Milano Red Prelude Type SH currently has 51,900 miles on it. I'm going to have to put a new Exhaust system on it. The stock one flew off when I hit a pothole a few years ago. I was able to salvage the stock muffler. The welding of the new pipe to the stock muffler (which is bent from that said pothole) is starting to rust through. It sounds terrible. Can anybody make any suggestions on a quiet aftermarket exhaust? I know the Mugen exhasut is great, but I'm not spending $1000 on an exhaust.

I'm also going to have to replace the horrible Bridgestone Potenza RE92s (finally). Since I run a set of steel wheels on Michelin PA2 Alpin Tires duriong the winter, my Prelude's new summer shoes will be some serious High Performance Rubber.

I keep up with your post, I enjoying reading your posts! I can't help you with your muiffler, but I have heard good things about the RE750's. Ultra high performance tire, decent price on tirerack too. I think as soon as my re92's die off I'll get those. I'm still enjoying my prelude, I'm up to 19k now. It's my daily now till winter comes. One thing about Honda's, the more you drive em, the better they run!
    Side note, Honda won the Manufacturer's Championship in the IRL yesterday. Second in a row for them. Flip side, not doing so hot in F1 this year. Maybe they'll pick it up, if not this year; next. Keep em coming people...
  • ludecrazyludecrazy Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone! im new to the forum and actually dont even own a prelude. However, i have been in love with the cars for years and am seriously looking into buying one. I actually found a '98 Prelude SH. It only has 62,000 miles on it and the interior and exterior look great. the previous owner added leather but that's all. On the other hand he said that he has had the bumpers and the side panels replaced due to slight accidents. All of the work was done at honda dealerships and he still has all of the documents to prove it. Currently i am setting it up to have my mechanic check the car out to see if the accidents have done any serious damage and if the rest of the car is in sound condition.

I heard from one mechanic that the newer model preludes have alot of problems. he said that although they are Hondas and have that reputation, they just werent built as well. I was wondering if anyone has a 98 Lude and has had any major problems or if you all think that this would be a good car to buy if the mechanic gives it the ok (despite the previous damage-which has been all fixed and is not at all noticable). I look forward to your advise and responses. Thanks!
    HOw much is the owner asking for the car? I really can't think of any MAJOR problems the fifth generation Preludes had. Make sure the timing belt has been changed. A few people have said their timing belt tensioner has failed prematurely. Look on edmunds to find the TSBs issed by Honda for the Prelude. What kind of damage was done in the accidents? Was there any frame damage or just cosmetic?

• stuartboniastuartbonia Member Posts: 56
    I have a 98 SH that currently has around 77k miles. I bought it new.

I replaced the tires twice. Still on the original brakes. 1 new battery.

The only problem I have had was with the timing belt tensioner at around 45k. Honda picked up around 1/2 of the repair costs.

Still looks and drives great. I get around 25 mpg in my daily driving without treating it like a baby.

Best car I have ever owned. :)
  • ludecrazyludecrazy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for replying to my message. From what we saw when looking at the car the damage was only minor damage that was fixed by replacing bumpers and body panels. It was all fixed promptly and looks excellent now. WHen we take the car to a mechanic we will be sure to ask if there was any major damage done to the engine/suspension/frame. But as far as i know it was nothing that serious.

The timing belt was replaced about 2 months ago as well as the autotensioner. A new battery was also installed-- all done at honda dealerships. The tires are brand new z-rated BFG's and look great. The radiator was also replaced as a result of one of the accidents. That was the worst damage a belive.

THe owner is asking around 12,000 but we talked to him about the accidents and previous history and he said that he was very flexible. So that price will probably go down quite a bit. I think that this is an excellent car im just curious about what you all think about it from what im telling you. I will also get my mechanics opinion. Thanks guys- and keep writing!