Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Thanks for the link. The operation of the electronic controlled viscous clutch is now not fuzzy for me anymore. The two minutes to disengage after cold start is about what I'm experiencing.
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    Drove a V8 envoy xl today, the thing is very quiet but fast! Its the first one we got at our dealership.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    The engine stalling problem on my Envoy reared it's ugly head again. Stalled twice last week at a stoplight. Engine would be idling fine, then starts shuddering as rpm's dip down, then comes back up or stalls. Happens driving the first mile from work, engine temp not quite warmed up, even after I let it warm up for a minute (or the fan roar dies down).

Last time they fixed this they replaced the PCM, even though the part number was for the ECM. This time it's the throttle body. No error codes registered in the computer this time either.

Anybody else had this problem?
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Took the Envoy in for the ECAS adjustment to the ride height. They have ordered new sensors for each side. Evidently they replace the sensors rather than adjust them. Will keep you posted after the installation as to whether or not the new sensors lower the back end back to where it is supposed to be. Happy holidays to everyone on this board. I always enjoy checking to see what is new here.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I'm a little hesitant about getting an Envoy with ECAS. Seems it would probably be pretty costly to fix after the warranty runs out. I don't plan on towing very often, so I think I can live without it.

The SLT comfort and convenience package seems like a big waste of money. There are a lot of novelties, but nothing I have a use for.

Wife is stuck on the Envoy XL, I like the Envoy better. Can anyone help me win this argument?
  • yatesdyatesd Member Posts: 60
    I was first hesitant about the ECAS system. I was worried about service costs. But it is a much simpler system then some older styles that were available and I think it gives great features for the price.

First, the system uses standard shocks, no hassles there. It uses two simple air bladders (instead of springs), sensors,a small compressor, and regular (bilstein shocks). Otherwise the suspension is the same.

Benefits:

Supposedly rides nicer, who knows...

Ensures the vehicle is always level, both front to rear and side to side, nice....

The built in compressor can be used to help in roadside emergencies, you can pump up your own tires or somebody elses.

GM provides a kit, included in the price with the hose, air gauge, and various needles. You can use it on vacation or for camping. Air mattresses, balls, etc.

It came free with my 02 Bravada, but the price by itself seems reasonable.

--
    Doug
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I've seen a similar problem with a vehicle that macman246 described. It was a 1992 Plymouth Voyager. I believe it was the fuel pump going out intermittently, causing the engine to stall or almost stall. It would do this intermittently even at highway speeds. Dunno if this is related at all to what you're seeing.

I'm currently considering a new vehicle, and I'm looking at the Trailblazer tomorrow. So far, I think the new 4Runner is my top choice - I took a quick test drive of that already. But I'd heard some interesting things about Chevy's reliability improving. Obviously, the opinons on that differ in this forum....though I do hear a lot more problems here than in the 4Runner discussions. I may consider other vehicles as well (Explorer, Pathfinder)
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    Redline, I'm not sure anyone responded to you on when incentives are available on ordering. You only get the incentives that are in place when you receive the truck, not when you order it.

I ordered my truck and missed out on some great incentives because of the timing. Since current incentives are tremendous and future incentives are a big uncertainty right now, I would recommend to keep pounding the pavement and the gmbuypower.com site until you find one you want. There are also extra incentives to the dealers to sell in December, so they should be willing to offer on top of GM's 0, 0, 0 deal!

If you can't find one that you are looking for, I would try to talk the dealer into offering you incentives based on what is currently offered, but I don't think you will find any takers.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    The 92 Voyager had a feature which was far ahead of the times. It was called EVSI- Extenal Visual Stall Indicator. If the car stalled, no blue smoke would come out of the exhaust.
    The Tripletts don't have this feature... Yet.

Frank
  • tjcishere1tjcishere1 Member Posts: 42
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth i have the SLT with DVD, ECAS system, heated seats it is loaded, everything but the sun roof that u cant get if u get the DVD. The truck has 9,000 miles on it now 5/02 build. I tow a 5,000 lb boat with no problem i have the 3.73 rear,my the money gas mileage is good if u baby it. But all in all the truck has been a great truck very nice ride i drove the same truck with out the ECAS and the ECAS is a difference that is worth the money. i have also talked to many people i meet that drive Trailblaizers and Envoys most people have had very few problems if any.So anyway thats my feed back i love the truck
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    All,
    My wife has air suspension bladders on her '98 Transport and it still works great and has never given us any problems. I have it on my Envoy XL SLT and it too works equally great. It is proven technology. With ECAS you also get Bilstein shocks for better handling.
  • smmillersmmiller Member Posts: 19
    I drove the XL both with and without the ECAS and I could tell the difference in ride, but it wasn't enough for me to pay the big uplift in price.

If I towed trailers it would be a no brainer to get the ECAS.

I prefer the ride of the XL over the regular trailblazer. It's very nice for a truck. in fact better than a lot of cars I have rented.

I thought the bilstein shocks were standard on all trailblazers?
  • kimodokimodo Member Posts: 44
    Well, after 13500, my right headlight decided to die out on me. Anyone else out there with this problem. The left one sure does put out enough for driving at night though. Well, got to take it to the dealer. Anyone know if this is covered under the warranty? Had two other cars and never had this problem before. Oh well, happy driving...
  • dstoppdstopp Member Posts: 4
    It took me about three weeks (and 4 dealers) from the time I decided to get an Envoy to actually picking mine up. My requirements were unpopular (XL 4wd, DVD, C&C package, running boards, locking differential, load leveling suspension, side air bags, and only 2 colors to pick from) so I had a hard time finding what I wanted as well. I actually walked out on one dealer cause the truck they "found" for me had 150 miles on it already (demo?), OnStar service was already set up in someone else's name, 2nd row leather seats were damaged and one seat wouldn't fold down.

Anyway, when I found a dealer that would do the work to find one I was able to walk in Saturday, tell them what I want, and picked it up Wednesday. Just got it yesterday and I LOVE IT!

My advice to you is to work to find a dealer that will do the search (and arrange the dealer trade) for you. Let them know you will buy it before the end of the year and you know exactly what you want. I had to take the polished wheels since my exact requirements could not be found. Advice is predicated on the fact that I was able to get the GMS pricing (no haggling). This way I wasn't put in a lesser negotiation position for the vehicle price. If you have to negotiate the price with them, you just have to be ready to walk out on the deal if they won't work with you.

Buypower is not easy to find what you are looking for and the dealer can do it fairly quick. They are able to enter your requirements and identify matches fast. The delays involved doing it this way is ensuring the vehicle is still available, arranging the transfer, and getting the thing to the dealer you are going to buy it from.

Good luck!
    dstopp - Thanks for the advice. I went to one dealer last weekend who was very willing to find the vehicle and options I wanted, he did a search in a 350-mile radius. I'll probably go back to him this weekend to see what else he can find, as my desired options have changed since then. I'm still on the fence about getting an XL vs. a standard Envoy, that may work to my advantage in finding the vehicle I want. I get GMS employee pricing too, and I love not haggling and not seeing dealer "prep" fees on the sales order. On top of that there is a $2250 rebate and I have my $1000 Olds loyalty certificate. Should be able to "steal" it from the dealer.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Curious if your other two cars use the low-beams for daytime running lights like our triplets do. After concluding the DRLs only run at maybe 10-15% reduction in brightness I am sure this will shorten the life of the headlight lamps. A 40-50% reduction would be much better.
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    Just got the truck back from the dealer after a second visit (they had to order some parts). I got all the relevent TSBs fixed to date. Got a second gasket for the lic. holder (the first one got all twisted). Got the bumper bracket. Got the headliner velcro fixed. Got the feet heating ducts fixed. 1->2 shift reprogramming.
    Also had the issue with the rear washer fixed (bad switch) and the rear wiper going nuts (rear door BCM unit replaced). The service dept. was very helpful and did not cringe when I dropped it off with 11 issues (ok, one was an oil change).
    So, everything is perfect now! (knock on simulated wood grain).

I guess I need something new to [non-permissible content removed] about... How about a TSB to attenuate the seat heaters! The lowest setting is too hot after 10 min. and the highest setting can fry an egg! My g'friend's Audi has 6 settings and they are much more comfortable. If only we could reduce the power level overall sent to the heaters...

Well, if that is the worst I can come up with, I have to say that it is a great truck. For all of you on the fence, don't let the complaints on this board scare you away. I have had my 02 for over a year now, more than 20,000 miles on it and other than the tweak TSBs, I have no issues. Even those have all been fixed to my satisfaction. If it was not for this board, I would not have even known about them!
    Mileage (city/country/stop-n-go/a little hwy) has been 17 in summer and 16 in winter. And I have some Pb in the right shoe... ;-)

Merry Xmas to you all...

-John
  • flyersruleflyersrule Member Posts: 47
    Hey John,

I think I have the heating duct problem. I feel cold air (or lack of hot air) blowing on my feet. Does this TSB fix that? Do you know the TSB number so I can take it with me when I go in for service?

Mark
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    I, too would like a little feedback on your satisfaction with the heating duct problem and the TSB # if you could.

But I really just wanted to say that I caught myself smiling at the reference to periodic table of elements. *grin*
  • cpufixer1cpufixer1 Member Posts: 5
    What does this fix ?
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    Hi all,

I've been leasing Nissan Pathfinders for the past 6 years. Other than a squeak here or a rattle there, my PF's have been extremely reliable. So you can see my hesitation as I consider the TB for my next vehicle. I swore I would never go back to American-engineered cars after the horrible experience I had with a '96 Dodge Avenger(funny, Dodge doesn't even make that model anymore). However, after seeing the new Trailblazers, I'm trying to convince myself that my oath was only for American-engineered CARS. I seem to have found a loophole! It worries me though when I read posts in here about vehicles stalling. Squeaks and rattles I can deal with. Thinking I could be up north out in the middle of nowhere and having my truck stall makes me worry a little bit. I realize this is an exception, but it is cause for concern. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any other foreign-to-domestic SUV converts out there that might want to offer up there experience.

Thanks a bunch!
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    well, I'm not a foreign *SUV* to domestic SUV convert, but I am a foriegn CAR to domestic SUV convert. I've got got two japanese cars and an '02 Trailblazer (12/01 build date), so i'll give you my $.02

First off, let me say that I *love* my TB. I have had just a handful of minor electrical issues, but all in all it's been a great truck so far! I would (and have) recommend it to anyone who asks with just one caveat: "Think really hard about this purchase if you plan on putting a boat-load of miles on it and/or owning it for 10+ years."

My '92 Honda Accord turned 195,000 flawless miles this week (I know I'm not comparing apples to apples here, vehicle-wise, but bear with me), and I just don't see my TB holding up that well. I am somewhat frightened to think what kind of shape all of the electrical "gizmos" on this truck will be in when it's got 195,000 miles (or even 95,000 for that matter). In 11 months of ownership, I've put only 5500 miles on my TB, so it's hard for me to project 4, 6, or 10 years down the road, but I'm getting the feeling that the electronics are going to be the long-term achilles heel for the triplets.

Might be good to hear from someone who's really running the miles up on their triplet to get their opinion of the longterm outlook.

Good luck with your decision.
  • agentelevenagenteleven Member Posts: 95
    Hey folks!

Just wanted to chime in that I've had my 2WD TB LTZ for 16 months, and I've had NONE of the TSBs performed that I know of.

And I'm still happy!
  • pewterbird2002pewterbird2002 Member Posts: 4
    The right headlight on our 02 went out a couple of weeks ago at about 11,000 miles.

It was covered under warranty, but the service advisor made it sound like it wasn't actually within the time period for that. The mechanic working on it told me that the advisor didn't know what he was talking about, and that it should be covered under the 36 month/36,000 mile warranty.

He also said that it was the third right headlight he had replaced that he could recall. We had a headlight go out on our 02 Firebird when it was about two weeks old, but there was moisture inside 3 of the 4 sealed beam headlights when we bought it (covered under a TSB) so that probably was caused by the water.

Otherwise, it's been (almost) perfect. We've had out Trailblazer LS for just about ten months and 12,000 miles, and it's only been back to the dealer for slightly lose cloth on the back of the right rear passenger seat, a serpentine belt that squeaked in moist weather for a minute when cold, and the headlight.
  • axsysmanaxsysman Member Posts: 26
    I have a lot of miles on my Envoy SLT and it has been ok. I may not be as picky as some people about the little quirks, but here are some that are just now appearing:

Turning the wheel several turns left or right it makes a rubbing noise, just showed up in the last week or so.

Drivers side door got caught in wind, I heard a cracking noise when it swung wide open, I believe the weld on the upper hinge may be giving way, I am monitoring it. Seems like there is a small crack in the sealant around the hinge now after the cracking noise happened.

Rubber moldings around doors seem to come loose randomly, I re-attach them with a gasket sealant glue made for rubber seals.

Radio seems to change channels on its own now and setting one seems to go thru all the pre-set channels before finding the stored channel.

Mileage has settled into about 19.7 mpg, 80% highway, not bad for a 4500 lb vehicle.

Turning the wheel all the way left or right while turning makes a squeeking noise like the rubber bushings are being moved in steering linkage. Only does this when going over bumps with wheel fully turned one way or another.

Speedometer makes a gurgling like sound when slowing to a stop, dealer quoted $470 to replace the unit, said I would live with noise, seems to of lessened now anyways.

Steering is starting to feel loose now as compared to first 25k miles, had dealer check it out, said it was tight, normal wear.

Tires are wearing real well, at least 25k of tread left on all four.

Rubber around gas tank filler tube inside gas filler door is cracking, normal?

Paint is as nice as it was when new, except for small chips from rocks on highway and a small nick on rear bumper from a rock in my shoe when I was stepping up on rear step.

Wheels look good for 47k, no discoloration of plastic covers.

Brakes are in excellent shape, dealer says they should last another 30k or more.

Oil consumption is negligible, maybe .25 quarts every 4000 miles. Never need to add between oil changes.

Engine is a little noisy when cold but quiets down within 2 to 5 minutes after warmed up.

All in all, a great truck! I had a Ford Explorer Sport prior that was much worse at 32K miles, I hated driving it because the drivetrain had become so noisy and it hobby horsed down the road from day one (rocked back to front like a rocking horse). I traded it in for the Envoy. If you are looking for a nice "Truck" that should last over 100K, the Envoy is a good choice in my opinion.
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    Well, I just got the truck back last night with the air duct fix and only drove a few miles since then. I will have to take some trips this weekend where the heater runs a bit and see how the feet feel. The TSB info I gave the dealer was:

Cold feet when heater running. See TSB “TSB 01-01-38-014 JAN 02 Heater - Insufficient Heat To Driver's Feet”

As for the bumper bracket, here is what I told the dealer:

Front bumper loose. Needs bracket. See TSB: 02-08-62-001 Fix for loose front bumper fascia, 02 triplets prior to vin 22375120 (last 8 of vin)
    Envoy - R/S 15184433 L/S 15184432

I forgot to mention that I had the roof rack reversed (again) so it is now correct and (incidentally) back to the factory position. I had them reverse it last summer when the original (wrong) TSB came out.

I also had the rear aux power outlet cover swaped and can happily say that I no longer worry about dents in the leather when the seats are folded.

Hope that helps you out.

-John
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    I have been driving my 02 TB EXT since early October with nearly 4K miles logged and proclaim to be a satisfied owner. It is quite for a truck, plenty powerful and has shown no signs of reliability problems.
    I notice some occasional quirky things like rear hatch does not always unlock with truck in park or takes 3 hits on the remote. Driver mirror occasionally seems out of position. Had the raging fan 2 or 3 times, and also think the seats are way too hot. (my teenage daughter loves them this way)Other than that, I enjoy the product of American design and craftsmanship.
    I'm using a small town dealer and they are service with a smile.
    As a Quality Manager in a US manufacturing facility with top brand recognition, I would rate my ownership experience as "meets customer expectations". Deal with perfecting the little quirky things, and I would lean toward a "Delites the Customer" rating.
    For those of you that read these boards to get a sense of their expected experience, good for you.
    Current customer feedback is very valuable and sought after by any responsible manufacturer that hopes to remain in business. You must recognize however that the feedback will always be biased to the negative as people are 10X more likely to share negative information than positive. In addition, people that had no reason to complain will begin to doubt their own satisfaction as they listen to the negative experiences of others. Do not shy away from a manufacturer that appears to be issuing TSB type bulletins frequently. Its called "Voice of the Customer response". Would you rather they ignore the feedback about dissatisfiers???
    In my opinion, buy a Chevy or GMC with confidence. The probability is much greater that you will be happy vs disappointed
    I found the article that criticizes the ride quality with ECAS in case anyone is interested:

http://www.auto.com/reviews/ulrich14_20020214.htm

• churchiechurchie Member Posts: 1
    Am I missing something or is there a way to keep the AC on the recirculate setting between car starts? I don't want to have to push the button each time I start the vehicle.
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    I've had my trailblazer LS for 6 months now and have 10K miles on it. I've had a few little issues, but nothing major. All in all I'm a pretty happy owner. One thing that worries me though. When I start the engine after that car's been sitting overnight, there a clunking sound coming from the engine. It almost sounds like a diesel engine. This sound speeds up as the engine revs higher and the sound persists till the engine reaches operating temperatures. I let the engine warm up for about 3-5 minutes before I drive off and I'm VERY easy on the engine till the sound goes away and operating temps are reached. Anyone else experience this and know what it is and know if there's a fix? I plan on mentioning this to my dealer next time I take it for an oil change. Thanks a lot!!
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I recall Car and Driver saying the same thing about ECAS in one of their first reviews. It was too soft and affected the handling. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

GAM
  • tjcishere1tjcishere1 Member Posts: 42
    as u know the slt has 2 different remotes for driver 1 and driver 2 for memory of seats mirrors ect. was anyone able to get remote start programed into the GM key fob? i was told they were unable to do it . So now i have 2 remotes for each driver. the Viper remote just starts the truck and the GM key fob stayed the same. not a real big deal but was just wondering what others were told.
  • dorene1dorene1 Member Posts: 75
    I'm looking into either Envoy or TB seven seaters. Could anyone give info. on gas mileage, acceleration, manueverability for parking, etc? Thanks so much!

Also, are any new buyers getting close to invoice on XL's?
  • offroad57offroad57 Member Posts: 11
    the fix.replaced module under backseat.also looking at 2003 TB EXT.dealer had 12 on the lot,7 had roof racks loop facing rear 5 had loops facing front.salesman had no idea why,said he had never noticed.
  • edl55347edl55347 Member Posts: 46
    I ended up ordering my TB in July 01 because the dealers couldn't find anything spec'd out the way I wanted it. (if I was going to spend 30k, I would get EXACTLY) what I wanted).
    At the time when I ordered it, there were incentives offered as well. The dealer said I could get in on the incentives effective at the time if I was willing to start making the payments as if I had driven off the lot that day.
    I decided to wait and see what the incentives would be when I picked it rather than start making payments for a vehicle I didn't have yet. Luckily for me, the same incentives were still being offered when my truck came in.
    I am not saying you should start paying for something you don't have yet, but it may be an option if the incentives are really good and you don't want to take a chance if ordering a truck.

I have 18,000 miles on it and had only a couple of problems: 4x4 transfer case module failed - no 4 wheel drive - this was fixed, and the front axle squeal - replaced the seals.
  • 2003carz2003carz Member Posts: 13
    I checked with the GM ownerlink site, can anyone tell me what they recommend on changing oil for the 2003 LS Trailblazer. I know the standard 3000 miles, but If I do not have to change it I wont @ 3000. GM Owner Link says 7500 or at least two times a yr, or when the oil change light comes on...?? Any suggestions. Also, what is the maintenance schedule like? And, what do you really have to get main. on or replaced.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the The Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve, Host

Dorene1 - My wife and I have been driving the Envoy XL. We just put a deposit down on one today, but it's about 200 miles away. I feel it manuevers pretty well actually. My wife was able to back it up into a parking spot on the first try with no problems. Acceleration is pretty decent too, I think the numbers I read were 0-60 in about 9 seconds. The standard Envoy gets there in about 8 seconds. Gas mileage is supposed to be 15/20 with the 3.42 rear axle, not sure about the 3.73 or 4.10. I hope you aren't looking for 4WD or V8, because there are none, at least not in the Dallas area. I can't comment on pricing as I'm purchasing under the GM employee plan (a fixed price). Good luck with your search. Our Envoy XL SLT 2WD will be equipped as follows:

Magnetic Red Metallic
    Dark Pewter leather
    sunroof
    comfort and convenience package (didn't want, almost impossible to find sunroof without this package)
    polished alloy wheels
    locking differential
    traction control
    3.73 rear axle
    side impact air bags
    running boards

It's pretty much fully-loaded except for ECAS and 6-CD player. Our experience with the air suspension and the XL was bad. The car was very floaty and the body roll seemed more pronounced. Unless you plan on towing some heavy stuff I probably wouldn't get it.
    I appreciate the info, but that maint. seems a little off. It seems overly inaccurate compared to the GM website. Change tranny fluid @ 15K. I think in the GM site says @ 50K. I wanted to hear from actual owners, instead of edmunds site which I am not sure where they get their info.
    I have been looking for the maintenance schedule on the GMC web site, but I could not find it. Can anyone provide a link?
    Engine Oil and Filter Change
    Change engine oil and filter
    Interval: As indicated by Engine Oil Life Monitor or every 12 months whichever occurs first. or 7500 miles

Rear/ Front Axle Fluid Level Inspection
    Inspect rear/front axle fluid level and add fluid as needed. Check constant velocity joints and axle seals for leaking.
    Interval: Every 7500 miles

Tire Rotation
    Rotate tires. Check tires for uneven wear or damage. If irregular or premature wear is apparent, check wheel alignment
    Interval: Every 7500 miles

Engine Air Cleaner Filter Inspection
    Inspect engine air cleaner filter and replace if necessary.
    Interval: Every 15000 miles if driving in dusty conditions.

Fuel Filter Replacement
    Replace fuel filter
    Interval: Every 30000 miles.

Engine Air Cleaner Filter Replacement
    Replace engine air cleaner filter.
    Interval: Every 30000 miles.

Transfer Case Fluid Replacement (Automatic Transfer Case Only)
    Change transfer case fluid
    Interval: Every 50000 miles

Spark Plug Wire Inspection (V8 engine only)
    Inspect spark plug wires.
    Interval: Every 100000 miles.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve Inspection (V8 engine only)
    Inspect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve

Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement
    Change automatic transmission fluid and filter
    Interval: Every 100000 miles

Spark Plug Replacement
    Replace spark plugs

Cooling System Service
    Drain, flush and refill cooling system. Inspect hoses. Clean radiator, condenser, pressure cap and neck. Pressure test the cooling system and pressure cap.
    Interval: Every 150000 miles or every 60 months whichever occurs first.

Engine Accessory Drive Belt Inspection
    Inspect engine accessory drive belt
    Interval: Every 150000 miles.
    Just what I was hoping for, another low maintenance vehicle from GM. Thanks!

I don't think I'd go 150K miles on a drive belt though...
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    I know it says 100,000 miles spark plugs. But does anyone really plan to go that long? My mechanic told me once that he had seen spark plugs that had been left in that long, and one had essentially become "welded" to the engine block. While it was not one of the GMC triplets, it was some vehicle with a recommended 100,000 mile change. I know if you can't get a sparkplug out, it's bad news. It would be interesting to know what others of you think about this recommended interval.
  • leftonlefton Member Posts: 8
    2003 Are the bugs worked out yet. Is this a good time to buy one? Is there a list of common problems for all three?
  • yatesdyatesd Member Posts: 60
    I have a 98 Olds Cutlass with the 100K rated plugs. Everything lasts so long on these new vehicles that you end up doing everything at the same time (Coolant, Plugs, Transmission Fluid). Anyway, so I could spread out the pain I thought I would replace my plugs and wires early (about 92k). I almost felt like I wasted my money, the plugs looked like new.

On the oil changes, this is my first car with an oil change sensor that counts RPM's, etc. I usually change my oil every 3-5K, but I want to take advantage of this new technology, plus our trucks have a huge 7 quart capacity. On my Bravada, I'm scheduling oil changes around 50% life. That should be around 6K for my kind of driving. I'm not quite ready to go all the way to 12K, but I don't like to be wasteful (with my money or the unnecessary oil usage).

--
    Doug
    I have been driving a TB EXT since Sept and logged over 4K miles.
    Truck is fully loaded (tips the scale over 5k#)and 4X4.
    Decent weather with a 65/35 split town vs expressway 4.2L engine yields about 18.5 MPG
    Using A4WD with cold weather and snow maybe 20% of the time, mileage is low 17's.
    Driving style will impact this significantly.
    My performance is based on cruising around 65-70 but taking my time getting there
    Truck has a tight turning radius and easy to put where ever needed.
    I consider myself fairly demanding and have been satisfied with the truck.
    Actually chose it over the Envoy as the TB has more leg room in the front passenger area
    The tach in my TB has no high rev redline marked.
    Anyone know what it is?
  • smmillersmmiller Member Posts: 19
    Welcome to the wonderful world of computers. No stated redline as the truck's computer will cut it off for you.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I was told to "break" loosen the spark plugs every 15 to 20k. You don't have to take them out just break the seal and then retighten them and you wont have any problems when it comes time to change them. Really not that hard of job to do.

~Ken
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    A service writer for a local GM dealer told me they are seeing many vehicles with spark plugs stuck in the heads.

I would recommend pulling the plugs out and adding some anti-seaze to the threads.

I did this to my Silverado with a 5.3 engine at 3 years /33k miles on it. 3 of the plugs needed some WD-40 sprayed on them as I worked the plugs back & forth to thread them out easily.

Tony