Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    I have a pewter Envoy. I can't decide whether to go for black tube steps or the polished stainless steel, which is supposed to rust less than the chrome ones. I think some companies even have some black stainless steel ones. Any suggestions?
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I think the chrome ones would look really nice on an Envoy. Looks to perhaps compliment the grill and wheels pretty well.

Just my thoughts.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I ran my VIN about 2 months after I bought my TB and printed out the data. Then about 6 Months later, I read about revisions for cold idle surge/hesitation and improved 1-2 upshift. I ran the VIN again. Compared the original printout and saw that the original OS software had been superceded by 3 revisions, and there were two new calibrations that were not on the original list. I would suggest that anyone should run the VIN, print it out and save it for future reference, to have a base to compare in the future. Otherwise, gator36 is right you have to go to the dealer and get your versions read from the Tech II.
    I bought the 3.42 gears figuring a 5-10% better avg. fuel economy. Mileage has not been significantly different from those reports with the 3.73. I am now averaging about 14 in town and have seen as good as 21 on the road. Actually the in-town mileage reports seem better with the 3.73 gears. Easier to get the 4500+ lb. mass moving from a stop I guess. In the summer with the A/C on and 3 adult passengers aboard the low-end torque from a stop with the 3.42 leaves something to be desired. My only regret is going out of my way to get the 3,42 gears. I would prefer the extra low end torque. 3.73 seems the best compomise to me. My 2¢.
  • 4jwv4jwv Member Posts: 6
    Mr. Goodwrench says my 2002 Trailblazer engine
    is toast, and is replacing it, with a new engine
    after only 15 months and 16,100 miles!
    I have been reading posts here for over a year,
    and don't remember any other failed engines.
    They don't know what caused the failure, but the
    dealer removed the engine, started tearing it
    down, and found so much damage, they quit tearing
    it down, and started installing a new engine.
    I find this strange, my Trailblazer has had an easy
    life: it lives in a heated garage, never towed
    anything, or been off-road, I bought it for use in
    the snow. And it has enjoyed regular maintenance.
  • 41564156 Member Posts: 31
    HP went from 270 in 2002 to 275 for the 2003 model year. What changes account for the increase??
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    Probably nothing. 275 sounds better.

They could have toyed with the testing methods some. It's not an exact science to begin with.
    Back to the side steps questions, stainless steel is overkill, but the Westin stainless steel ones don't cost that much more than the the regular ones so that ain't too bad.
    I figure my powercoated ones are less likely to rust than the body panels, so I'm not too concerned.
    HP went from 270 in 2002 to 275 for the 2003 model year. What changes account for the increase??
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I installed the ones from GM accessories and they are aluminum, not plastic like the factory boards. They are also adjustable and the factory ones are fixed. You can move them front to back and in or out. I moved mine closer to the rear and out to make it easier for the kids to get in the door. I have complete installation details and photos and more info including the mudflaps.

See my website http://www.trailblazer.homestead.com/
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    There were changes made to the 4.2L engine for the 2003 model year that probably account for the increase. Somebody posted a link a while back that showed all of the changes.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    4jwv: my TB engine self destructed at 2600 miles. They found a cylinder sleeve had shifted or somehow came loose and was making contact with other moving parts. They replaced my engine also. I was very leary about getting a new engine, wanting instead a new car. But they would not consider it. I purchased the GM major guard extended warranty after that. I would recommend you consider it too.

Good luck

Frank
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    It was known that a small number of eninges in early production had porous castings that would cause the cylinder sleve to come loose. This was very early on in the production run.
      I would wonder what was the produxtion date of your vehicle?

I believe that this was corrected before mine was made in 2/2002.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    So what's really different between the 2002 and 2003 Envoy models?
    Came across the following CANADIAN GM site at:

http://media.gm.com/division/canada/english/products/VehiclesEng/e3Envoy.htm

I notice they didn't mention the missing glovebox light or under hood light though...

NEW FOR 2003:

-New optional Vortec 5300 V8 engine producing 290-hp and 330 lb.-ft. of torque on Envoy XL (available this fall)

-Engine's horsepower rating increased from 270 to 275

-New "Luxury Convenience Package" available on SLT models - includes RainSense wipers, travel note digital recorder, and headlamp washers

-Side air bags are now optional

-Child seat safety restraint system: Lower Anchors and top Tethers for Children (LATCH)

-Larger fuel tank capacity on Envoy (increased from 70.8L to 83.3L)

-Roof rack cross bars are optional

-Roof rack side rails are standard equipment

-Polished aluminum wheels, load leveling suspension and Bose sound system are now optional

-On-Off road blackwall tires are now available with load leveling suspension

-The following features are now optional on the base SLE model: cargo shade, overhead console, convenience net, rear view electrochromatic mirror with compass and outside temperature display, OnStar, front high-back reclining bucket seats and adjusters, and deluxe leather-wrapped steering wheel.

-CD/cassette is now available on all models

-New accessories available - includes grille guards, side steps, cargo organizers, and a hood protector/vent visors

-New exterior colours - includes Silver Green, Carbon and Indigo Blue (available on XL)

Ironically, the US Media site doesn't get as detailed and use euphemisms rather than details:

http://media.gm.com/division/2003_prodinfo/03_gmc/03_envoy_envoyxl/new.html

New For 2003

"Increased value" on base SLE models for Envoy and Envoy XL

"Flexible equipment selection" for Envoy and Envoy XL SLE and SLT models

Optional Vortec 5300 5.3L V8, providing Envoy XL with the segment's most powerful V8*

"Flexible lighting control" with new, four-position headlamp switch for daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps

25-gallon fuel tank for Envoy XL; larger, 22-gallon fuel tank for Envoy*

New exterior colors: Carbon Metallic and Silver Green Metallic

*Not available at start of production

I guess removing some of the goodies us early buyers benefit from now falls under "flexible equipment selection" for those who will now have to pay extra for them...

• redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    The flexible equipment selections with the Envoy surprises me. I thought GM was going towards the direction of other car makers and offering more option packages rather than individual option selections. Personally I prefer to pick and choose, but it can make it difficult to find the vehicle with the exact options you want. Mine had to be brought in from 200 miles away.
    "Flexible lighting control with new, four-position headlamp switch" I guess the Canadians don't get the new switch because the law up there requires DRL's? "Roof rack cross-rails OPTIONAL" but you still have to get the side rails standard? What if you don't want the side rails either? What good are standard side rails without the cross rails? When I removed my cross-rails the next step was to remove the side rails and plug the holes. 5/8 dia. plastic screw caps from the local hardware store RTV'd over the threaded inserts in the roof work great! Sure makes it easier to wash and dry off the roof. GM could save a few more $$ deleting the side rails as standard and charge extra to those that want them. I would have paid extra for a "roof rack-delete" option and a clean roof with no holes. That "new" silver green color looks almost exactly like the old "metallic green mist" color my old '70 Chevelle was. Not a bad color but it sure faded in the Texas sun.
  • jbhornerjbhorner Member Posts: 3
    Okay, it sounds like an odd question. I mean, I should know, right? Well, I don't. I have a 2003 Envoy. I've seen two different ratings for the fuel capacity. I've seen 18 and some change, and 22. Is there a way for me to tell what size tank is actually in the vehicle? My fill-ups seem to lean toward 18, but I've read in a lot of places that it should be 22. Here I saw something that "early runs" had 18. Is there a VIN listing that would provide the missing answer?

Joel
  • v8extv8ext Member Posts: 7
    Hey Dean ( dlare) - Any luck with the hissing noise? Mine is getting worse. The dealer can't seem to find a cause. They admit to hearing it but they can't seem to find a fix. It is starting to drive me crazy.

Frank
  • gt01gt01 Member Posts: 6
    2002, 15,351 miles. Today for the third time failed to start. First time it was hauled to Olds dealer. It started and they could find nothing wrong. The motor would turn over but fail to continue to run.

Second time while waiting for tow truck, Roadside service said to turn ingition off, wait 20 minutes and try again, it could be trouble with the security system. Sure enough it did. Tow cancelled. Went by Olds the next day and they knew nothing. Supposed to have called factory and they knew nothing.

Today, it stopped again. Roadside called tow truck. Twenty minutes later, as tow drives up, I tried and it started. Had it taken to service department. Tomorrow they will say, "we can find nothing wrong."

Has anyone had similar problems, with Roadside Service saying, "it may be in the security system" there must be others. Would be hell,if we were on a trip and it happened at remote resturant or service station.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    You might want to check the baffles located inside the front quarter panels. I know mine made a hissing/whistling sound because they were loose. Open up either of the front doors and look into the quarter panel and you will be able to see them.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    Several people have noted this issue. It happened once to me at around 13K miles; 02 Bravada. Driving along at about 35 mph when it died. Pulled over and it cranked normally but won't start. After 5-10 minutes with OnStar, etc., tried it again and it started right up. Didn't have anything to do with security system as far as I know.
    gator36, my build date was 7-2001. ficuss when was your truck built? I hope this was limited to only early built engines.
    I picked my Trailblazer up last night from the dealer,(it was there 8 days). The mechanic said a cylinder sleeve came loose and damaged many parts
    in the process, so they put in a new "crate" engine. They looked up the numbers on this engine
    and it is a 2002 model, but I don't know when it
    was built, hopefully it was a "late" model.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    Got it back just a week ago, and sure enough on the way home last night it stalled at a traffic light. This morning while waiting for traffic, idle went down real low, engine shuddered, then recovered without stalling. Three previous attempts to fix this included replacing the PCM, throttle body, and ignition switch. This will be the 4th attempt to fix the stalling problem.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Look around on the front of the engine there might be a date there. On mine there is a date and time on the block casting just upper left of the alternator and above the belt. It is upside-down on mine too.
    Just opened my mail and received an ad from GM. They are adding "Bonus Earnings" to total $2003 to my GM Card Earnings to use twords another GM vehicle, and that's in addition to any other incentive deals. I just cleaned out my GM Card rebate acc't last year so they are adding about $1700 to the "earnings". They could POSSIBLY talk me into it if I could do a COPO special order and get the 5.3 V8 in a base TrailBlazer LS, put the glovebox and underhood lights back where they belong, along with the rear A/C vents, body-color side moldings, and whatever else they stripped from the '03's, maybe lower it an inch in the front and two in the rear, oh, and completely delete the roof rack. Hmmm... I think I just built a TrailBlazer SS.
    Just get a Rainier.

Or, I've heard talk that they might actually make the Trailblazer SS, complete with the 6.0 V-8.
    Nope all that gussied up chrome-simulated-wood-like plastic stuff ain't for me. Now maybe if Buick puts in the PORT HOLES in the front fenders!

I predict that 6.0 will likely never happen with all the racket being stirred up about SUV fuel mileage (or Passenger Trucks as I now prefer to call them).
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Buy a Dodge Magnum. All the HP, less weight. Seems like you guys want sport wagons, not SUVs.

-mike
    But that's a Chrysler product. No thanks. Even with their 7/70 Warranty they are still No. 3. Plus they wouldn't honor my GM Card rebate even if I would consider one. I have what I need in my TrailBlazer: a mid-sized truck-based people-hauler, but a performance version would be nice.
    If they make the Magnum, I might even consider breaking down and buying a Dodge. However, I expect they'll ruin it somehow if it makes it to production.
    I bought my TB in July of 2002. Never looked up the build date. I have been happy with my new engine. It has about 12k miles on it and has had no problems at all. One thing I did before having the engine changed out, was take a very long good look at the engine compartment. Once I got the TB back, I took another long look at the compartment. I could find nothing out of place except for one plastic wire clamp holding a harness in place. I couldn't even tell by looking at the bolt heads that they were removed and replaced. Jennings Chevy in Glenview Il. did a great job of replacing the engine. It took about 2 weeks, and they gave me an Envoy to drive.
    Push GM into giving you a component letter on the engine, this will be a no deductable warranty on the engine. It superceeds all other warranties. Call 1-800 222-1020. This is the Chevy customer assistance center. Keep the pressure on them until they give you something to go along with the new engine. You might ask them for a deal on the extended warranty. If you do get the warranty, make sure it is transferrable if you sell the car.

By the way, is there any way to tell if your "crate" engine is a new engine or a repaired engine that was re"crated"? I'll look up my old engine number and post it to see if it ever shows up again. If I'm not mistaken, the engine number should be matched to the vin number. This keeps chop shops on their toes.

Make sure you keep your records in order, you might some day have to show why the engine number doesn't match the vin number.

Frank
    Thanks tblazed, I found my new engine's date of mfg. on the block, right where you said it would be. It was made 3-6-2002, about 9 months newer than my original engine that self-destructed. Hopefully this engine will last much longer.
  • jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    Macman,

I had my Envoy in the shop last Friday, left it overnight, with detailed instructions, Thursday night for them to recreate the problem. They could not recreate it, but did do the reprogram for cold hesitation, etc. I don't have the number in front of me, but I can get it tonight if you would like.

BTW, I have not had it stall/shudder since, but it has only been 4 days.

JAW
    Reuters
    U.S. regulators investigate GM SUVs, Ford sedans
    Tuesday January 14, 4:48 pm ET

DETROIT, Jan 14 (Reuters) - U.S. auto safety regulators have opened an investigation into 150,000 General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News) sport utility vehicles after 36 reports of engines stalling without warning.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the complaints involve 2002 GMC Envoys and 2002 Oldsmobile Bravadas; the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, which shares the same mechanical parts is not under investigation.

NHTSA says the complaints allege the SUVs stalled at speeds up to 75 miles per hour, causing steering and braking to fail. In some cases the engines could not be restarted and the vehicles had to be towed.

The agency also opened an investigation into 480,000 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable sedans from the 2000 model year after one report of an air bag failing to deploy in a fatal crash. The driver was wearing a seat belt, but suffered fatal head injuries when he lost control of his Taurus and rammed a concrete bridge rail, NHTSA said.
    Cool... that usually precedes a full-blown recall. Of course they have to figure out how to fix the problem first. Wonder why TrailBlazer isn't included.
  • envoyeurenvoyeur Member Posts: 9
    Hi all. I am new to the board. I bought a new loaded Envoy SLT a couple of weeks ago. Can someone tell me how to find the build date of the vehicle. Also, even though I just bought it, I also seem to have the smaller gas tank even though I was hoping to get the 22 gal.
    Hello welcome aboard! Look on the sticker on the driver's door above the door latch. Should be a month and year date. Seems I remember the bigger tank started with the August production.
    Perhaps the TB has had no stalling reports. The one difference between the TB and the Envoy and Bravada is that the TB doesn't have the air suspension as an option. There have been many posts regarding the problems caused by the air suspension. Compressors draw high currents. A dip in power could cause a computer to lock up. I would look in that direction among others, and I would also call Bill Gates, he has a lot of experience in finding software glitches.

Frank
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    Finding software glitches or producing them? I don't think that Mr. Gates has the best record for "glitchless" software.
    We're definitely on the same page on that one. The only thing I coulld think of also is the auto-levelling air suspension and reports of the engine almost dying when the compressor kicks in.
    I logged in today to this web site and it's ... different. Guess I am going to have to get out my magnifying glass. Text is so small I can barely read it! NOT GOOD!! If I increase font size, then on every other web site I go, to the text is way too big. I use a 17" LCD monitor in its native resolution 1280X1024 which is not a problem on ay other web site I go to. That darn new BANNER AD on the right seems to be crowding out the font size. Also I primarily use Netscape 4.7. Checked it with IE and it isn't as bad but everything is squeezed vertically to accomodate that new banner.

Let me know when you guys get this fixed. I'll be back then. I can't handle this.

later, tblazed Ed
    I've been very fortunate that my Envoy hasn't stalled while moving (knock on simulated wood!). It's always when I'm stopped, which is still dangerous since I almost got rear-ended the other night when I couldn't go on the green light. And yes, it does seem to be related to the air suspension inflating, either right when it starts or right after inflation. Deflation also lowers the engine idle slightly, but not as much as inflation.

Surges and electrical noise on the data bus seem to be the likely glitch that would cause the computers to hiccup and cause the engine to stall or create a near-stall condition. But who knows??? GM??? Hello, are you out there???

I really want to keep my Envoy (assuming I get it back in working condition after their 4th attempt to fix this problem). But my confidence level in my truck has fallen considerably and I'll probably trade it in (or initiate a buyback) real soon.
  • jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    I, too, have been fortunate that my Envoy has only come close to stalling at stop lights. However, I am not sure that the air suspension is the sole cause, because I do not have that option. Mine was built in April of 2002, when there was a shortage of parts.

Macman, I am not sure that the recalibration fixed the issue. This morning, right as I was stepping on the gas, the engine RPM's seemed to drop and there was a hesitation, so I am still in the same boat as you trying to get this fixed. Looks like it will take at least three tries on mine.

BTW, does your vehicle on seem to do this when cold (engine temp below the first major tick on the temp gauge)?

JAW.
  • envoyeurenvoyeur Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info tblazed. My Envoy was built 10/02 according to the sticker but I may have a small tank anyway. I filled it up when the fuel alert light was on and the estimated remaining range was only 20 mi and it only took 18.5 gal. Looks like I'll be stopping for fuel a little more often than I would like.
  • gt01gt01 Member Posts: 6
    I can't access previous post but believe it was #9654 where I told of problems with my Bravada not starting and being towed. As late as yesterday afternoon, I was being told there was nothing wrong. I said they could keep it until I got in writing from Olds there was nothing wrong. This morning I received a call saying two recalls had come out and it would be repaired by late this afternoon. So much for "there is nothing wrong."
    I didn't think a software update would fix the problem. According to my service advisor I have all the latest.

The stalling/near-stalling seems to occur within the first mile driven when cold. That is pretty consistent. However I have had it stall/near-stall when fully warmed up too. It does not seem to matter if I have the climate control and/or heated seats on or off either. The only reason why I keep mentioning the air suspension is because when I have near-stalls the rear is being inflated just after the idle recovers.

On occasion I have noticed a major hesitation/drop in RPM's when stomping on the gas. If I take it easy on the gas it seems to accelerate fine.

I went ahead and filed a complaint this morning with the NHTSA to put my $.02 in. I've also contacted a lemon law attorney who will evaluate all of my repair orders this week. I didn't want to go down this path, but it looks like that's where I have to go to alleviate my safety and financial concerns.
  • blrmkrblrmkr Member Posts: 40
    "The stalling/near-stalling seems to occur within the first mile driven when cold. That is pretty consistent."

I've noticed the same thing with my TB. I've had several RPM drops, but only 1 stall in 40k miles.

I wonder if the new engine calibration for the MY2003 triplets cured the problem that some of us with MY2002s are having.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    No need to get out the magnifying glass! Most browsers will let you change the size of the display. I'm running Opera at 110% and things look great. IE and NetScape will let you adjust the size too.

tidester, host
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Well I had the battery post breaking off incident which caused it not to start one day but I've never had a stalling event. Good thing as the new owner is about to pick it up and I'm off to get my new Tahoe!
    No need to get out the magnifying glass! Most browsers will let you change the size of the display. I'm running Opera at 110% and things look great. IE and NetScape will let you adjust the size too.

Why not set it at 100% and make the font size look good at 100%, like every other site out there?

This is a lot like Spinal Tap...

"Why not just make 10 louder and have it go to 10?"

"{pause} These go to 11"