Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    I really like the new style of the site. It seems more organized. I didn't have to change the size of the text, it stayed the same.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    It looks fine in Internet Explorer 6 with text size of medium, which is the normal setting.
    On Netscape 7.01 it is too small at the normal setting of 100%. Don't know why.
  • sportbikenutsportbikenut Member Posts: 15
    Just had to add my .02 as well. I have a 05/02 build date TB LS, and all was well until the "latest and greatest" downloads were performed (not at my request). Mine now exhibits similiar symptoms as others mentioned, such as the RPM's dropping slightly on light throttle when starting out. Also get a slight dimming of the headlights but the volts are fine. Totally dissatisfied with the recalibration. Lost low end torque and powerful feel. It only starts to feel normal after 2k RPM's, whereas it used to be fine after 600 RPM's.
    Hope GM is listening. Give dealers the ability to go back to older programs.
    Still have slight vibration problem too at 60mph.
    Should I file a formal complaint as well??
    Thanks.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    tgp1810: I'm sorry if I led you think I admire Bill Gates. I had my toungue firmly in my cheek when I recommended Mr. Gates be used to find the glitch. I have stated earlier that the software running the tripletts often behaves like Windows 95. My reference to Bill Gates was strictly negative.
     On the stalling problem, lets remember that the investigation sounds like stalling at high speeds is the target problem. Any car can and will occasionally stall.

Frank
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Well I'm now an Envoy owner as GM and I reached an agreement on my Bravada. Boy, they really cheapened up the 2003's, considering the price increase. I will say the drivetrain (engine/tranny) is much improved over the Bravada. Otherwise they are pretty much similar.

Anyone know how to adjust doors on these? The top edge of the rear door does not touch the weatherstrip and need to adjusted inward at the top. Do they just bend them?

GAM
  • 41564156 Member Posts: 31
    All stalls and loss of power during acceleration should be reported by complaint at www.nhtsa.dot.gov . An engine should never stall....never.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Came on board tonight with the intention of asking about benes of latest software on overall performance.
    Here in Western NY, temp has not exceed low 20's in weeks. Tonight for the first time, I experienced what I would call slight hesitation shortly after a cold start. Temp gauge was barely off left bottom. I was thinking of having the updates done next week but wanted some assurance that in the long run, performance improved. If not, I can live with an occasional hesitation. So what's the verdict... leave well enough alone, or get the updates??
  • melissak1017melissak1017 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know all this tech talk but I am experiencing some of the problems y'all are talking about and my '02 Envoy is in the garage alot and I think that the "trained GM tech" come out from under my suv scratching their..... heads and tell me that nothing is wrong. they must have gone to school with psychologist- its all in my head! you guys have been a great help and I am going to see my gm shrink armed with ideas this time. I also printed up the gm tech link.
    just so y'all know, I have brake issues, strange noise, and other things going on. this is my first GMC. I love my Envoy, I have a great stereo( my husband says he can hear me a block away). one of the best vehicles I have ever had.
    I am a PROUD AMERICAN and the people that drive BMW's for 2 hours to work and 2 hours back everyday use more gas than I do in a week driving my SUV. so stick that in a commercial!
    Thanks for all your help again. I may come back for advice if my problem continue. good luck with all of yours. Any advice you would like to add go for it.
  • edf117edf117 Member Posts: 6
    I decided to take my 2002 Envoy SLE (build date 06/01)in for a few fixes at 13,500 miles:

1. The front bumper fascia was loose. The dealer had previously tightened this up -- but I figured what the heck, go ahead and have the new designed braces installed! The fix for loose front bumper fascia is TSB #02-08-62-001 for VIN prior to -22375120. The updated brace part numbers for the Envoy are: Right #15184433 left #15184432. Braces are on order.

2. The accelerator pedal has a popping, clicking or crunching sound coming from the associated bracket or switch ONLY while you are driving the vehicle! I can push up and down on the pedal all day long when the vehicle is not being driven and it WON'T make the noise! Pedal part #15150990 is on order.

3. The front passenger seat shoulder belt locks up prematurely. See TSB #02-09-40-003 for the fix which is to replace the seat belt retractor assembly with the updated part. Seat Belt part #88956143 is on order.

4. The center console rear aux power port cover is wearing a spot in rear seat when folded forward. See TSB #02-08-49-009 for the fix. Aux Power Outlet Retainer part #15173672 is on order.

I had my Envoy in for service last June for rear license housing gasket, fan noise, loose door foam baffles, insufficient heat flow to drivers feet, and a computer reprogram for throttle hesitation. My service manager (Rally GMC, Palmdale, CA) always takes care of me!

I will post an update when the parts are all installed in a few days.

I have removed my roof rack completely, installed a Volant cold air intake, and switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I get a solid 17 mpg in mixed driving -- even with my foot shoved in it most of the time! For an SUV, this thing screams!

My next project is to install a Belltech suspension system, kit #141.

This is a great site! All of the shared information (facts and opinions) has proven to be an extremely valuable tool for maintaining my vehicle. Thanks to all! :)

Ed
  • blazedblazed Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the discussions and was wondering if anyone has had problems with power steering in cold weather. Cold meaning having the TB setting out over night in 0-15 degree weather. When turing the steering wheel, sounds like squeaking noise when leaving the center position and back during a turn. It finally goes away after running for a while. Thought possibly a problem in power steering fluid thickening and straining through the pump. Anything like this encountered elsewhere?
  • daytripdaytrip Member Posts: 10
    My dealer tells me that TSB #02-08-49-009 (Aux power outlet cover) is directed to the Trailblazer only and not to the Envoy. Does anyone know if this is true and if there is a separate TSB for the Envoy?
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    Ed, tell us more about removing your roof rack completely. By completely, you obviously mean more than just the cross bars (which i've done as well).

So you removed the main rails? What about all the black strips that run the length of the vehicle? How'd you do it? What kind of holes were left over and how'd you plug 'em? How reversible is it (i.e. if you need the roof rack back on for a weekend trip, can you quickly/temporarily put it back on?)?

Thanks,
    Greg
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Your dealer is on something.....

Here is a copy of the TSB and it clearly states all three of the triplets...

Interference with Center Console Rear Auxiliary Power Outlet Cover and Rear Seat Cushion (Replace Rear Auxiliary Power Outlet Retainer and Cover) #02-08-49-009 - (10/04/2002)
    Interference with Center Console Rear Auxiliary Power Outlet Cover and Rear Seat Cushion (Replace Rear Auxiliary Power Outlet Retainer and Cover)
    2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

2002 GMC Envoy

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

Built Prior to May, 2002

Condition
    Some customers may comment on an indentation mark or, in extreme cases, a puncture of the rear left seat cover. When the left rear seat bottom is raised and the seat back is folded down flat, the seat bottom rests against the back of the center console. The auxiliary power outlet cover, located on the back of the center console, contacts the seat bottom. If enough weight or pressure is applied to the seat bottom in this position, the auxiliary power outlet cover may leave an indentation or possibly damage the seat cover.

Cause
    The auxiliary power outlet cover has a raised finger tab. This raised tab on the cover may cause the condition.
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for the info, Gator. Have any of you had this replaced? If so, how involved was it, and did it take very long. And more importantly, does the fix work? i.e., is there no longer any imprint on the rear seat when folded down?
    Thanks
  • m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    I recently had an appointment for an amp install to the Bose for a sub box. When I get there they tell me the amp install can happen, BUT the sound wont be what I want. The way the Bose is designed, the crossovers inside the Bose amp wont generate enough bass to the add on amps crossover, or something along those lines. Basically he said it would work, but it would be more of a midrange sound then anything.

Has anyone added an amp to the Bose for a box? If so, how was it done to get the best performance out of it? I would like to change the whole system out and then use the subs, but that wont be for a while and I cant stand the idea of an amp and subs sitting there looking at me. Any help would be appreciated.
  • daytripdaytrip Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the help. I have printed the text on the TSB out and will carry it with me to the dealer.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    I browsed the NHTSA database for '02 Bravada info after someone mentioned that they had opened an investigation on the "stalling at speed" problem. One owner report caught my attention in that it stated that a 'Service brakes now' message came on the display then the engine shut down (at 65 mph). "Service mgr indicated engine is designed to shutdown immediately when this fault appears" when he went in to have the right rear ABS sensor replaced. That's just a service guy not knowing what he's talking about, right! Could it be possible that the software is designed to shut the engine off at speed??? The report also claimed that he had another occurance where the message was 'Low oil pressure' and the engine shut off. In both cases he was able to restart after a short period of time.

The thing that makes me wonder is that the one time this happened to me, a coolant temperature sensor had apparently gone on the fritz, although I didn't see a particular message on the display, just lit up as you would expect with the key on and not running.
  • jmltribjmltrib Member Posts: 20
    I purchased a 2002 Envoy SLT after the recommendation of many of you on this board. I very much love the vehicle (thanks for the recs everyone). I am, however, experiencing a few "little" things that I would like some advice on. Please advise. Any help is much appreciated

1. Issue with a buzzing noise in the center counsel which sounds like plastic rubbing together. When I hold in on the radio, the sound decreases but doesn't totally go away. Usually happens going over bumps.

2. Ticking noise that seems to be most prevalent when the air conditioner compressor kicks in...Could there be something loose/coming into contact with the compressor?

3. Rattling noise that sounds like its coming from under the center of the vehicle somewhat under the console like something hitting something else.

4. Does anyone have issues with the cargo cover making noise? The service guy said that 9 times out of 10 it's installed wrong yet still makes the noise after he installed it "correctly".

Thanks in advance for the help!!
  • richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    The interanl cross overs should be before the amplification in the factory amp. This should not prevent your installer from using an external cross over to filter out the mid range frequencies. Even if the internal cross overs happened after the amplification circuit, your installer should be able to find a combination of choke and capicitor to prevent the mid's from getting to your sub amplifier. It may take some experimentation, which in turn could take time and result in less profit for the installer. It would be nice if we could get some specs on the factory amplifier's cross over points.
    I put in some 3.5" coaxil speakers in my dash. The highs and mid's are now much better. The factory bass is ok, but not very tight.
  • gt01gt01 Member Posts: 6
    I got my Bravada back today, in post 9678, I mentioned recalls, I meant bulletins. Mine stopped when I placed it in reverse and had gone about 20'. Three times, about 6 months apart. Course if it doesn't happen with the service people it doesn't get fixed. Finally they got hold of some one and found two bulletins

02-08-64-017, moisture in door connection-ok
    02-06-03-001, ignition wire chaffing , repair wire and cover area.

Now whether or not it is corrected on not, I don't know, they say it is. Will see what develops in regards to other people's problems mentioned previously. After stalling and waiting 20 minutes, it would start which doesn't sound like ignition wire to me.
  • edf117edf117 Member Posts: 6
    Answer to Greg #9695,

Check out my previous post -- #9127 -- for info on my roof rack removal. You remove the front caps on the roof rails to get to the forward screws. There are five screws per rail. After you remove the screws and rails, you will have round threaded steel inserts that are just under 1/2" wide and stick up approximately 1/16". These are the threaded inserts for the rail screws. They do not come out! I purchased some 1/2" long plastic plugs from the local hardware store to close out these threaded inserts. These plugs are the type that are commonly used to hold panels and carpet down in cars and trucks -- finishing plugs. You want plugs with a very low profile button head. Apply a small bead of clear Silicone RTV sealant under the head of the plugs and press them into the holes. That's it! You will have to buff out the scuff marks on the roof from where the rails were mounted. Not the best solution -- but a workable one.

Ed

(e-mail me for photos: edstamper@butter.toast.net )
    RichardCoulson,

Initially when I made the appointment, I was told the install time would be around 4-5 hours. Then when I get there on my date, Im told they can do it but it will sound like crap. Reading what you said, its probably they dont want to spend the time on the install and bypassing or whatever to the Bose amp. It was at a Tweeter the install was suppose to happen. For the $50 for install, not worth it to them if it does take 4 hours. My only option is to wait and change the entire system. Either that or go find another place that can or is willing to do the install.

Thanks
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    Just had our first significant snow of about 5 inches. Main roads are clear but residential and parking lots are packed and icy. When I leave my TB LS in A4WD I feel the very delayed 4WD kick in with and abrupt jerk. I live in a hilly neighborhood and when I take a corner I feel that I'm sliding sideways and almost panic before the A4WD kicks in. Even on the flat and straight roads when I slowly move from a complete stop there is that abrupt and late jerk. Is there any fix or TSB for the DELAYED A4WD? Anyone else experiencing this? How and when does the A4WD system go back to 2WD? I don't want to leave in 4HI because half of the streets are clear and I don't want to keep turning the dial for each street condition. I could understand if I was gunning it but I drive very slowly like my grandma. I'm afraid if I did stomp on the gas the transmission would fall out from the hard jerk into 4WD.
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    I had the cover for the rear seat AUX power jack replaced with the new one. No dents in my leather now after having the seats folded down. I had the truck in all day for a bunch of issues so I have no idea how long it took to fix, but I can't imagine it took too long.
  • blrmkrblrmkr Member Posts: 40
    To me (and others who have posted before), A4WD is nothing more than a simple 2WD traction control. I've always experienced the "delayed jerk" feel when launching from a dead stop on slick pavement. Whereas ABS-based traction control can react and brake the wheels within a few tens or hundreds of milliseconds, I'd assume it takes the transfer case of our triplets some time to do its magic. Also, maybe others know otherwise, but I think the A4WD system reverts power back to the rear wheels soon after the slick condition passed. I've never noticed an binding in turns with A4WD enabled.

For the sake of safety, keep in mind that our triplets don't have any kind of electronic yaw control to keep them from spinning out and the 4WD can't make them stop any faster.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I believe the delay is half a second for the electronic transfer case to engage the front wheels in the A4WD mode on the Trailblazer and Envoy. A lifetime for fans of the NCAA basketball tournament. This A4WD action is not the same as "ABS traction control" on other vehicles. This system engages 2 additional drive wheels. ABS-only traction control only brakes the power to a slipping wheel. I have such a system on a Chrysler 300M and all I can say is that it is better than nothing.

If you were looking for AWD, you should have bought the Bravada. It's electronic transfer case reaction time is a quarter second or less. I still notice mine "kicking-in", but it has so far been rapid enough to prevent slides on turns at reasonable "slick-pavement" driving speeds.
  • bravadajonbravadajon Member Posts: 60
    I also experienced this with the SmartTrak(?)on my 2002 Bravada. I have sold it and now drive a AWD Subaru Outback Wagon...no delay and jerk here.

I have owned two 4x4 Chevy Blazers, one Ford F150 4x4 SuperCrew and two other 4x4 Subarus in the past.

The current Subaru AWD is the best performer of them all in terms of getting thru the road in ice and snow.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    Got my Envoy back this afternoon. Stalling is supposedly fixed. They had to call GM for help. I also have the Vehicle Data Recorder hooked up for the next few weeks so it can snapshot the data going through the system in case it stalls again.

So far so good. The drive home was uneventful. Activated the ECAS several times by idling facing uphill and downhill while stopped, no major fluctuations in idle. Stepping on the gas hard also does not seem to produce a drop in idle like before. Maybe it just seems way more responsive than the Ford F150 4x4 quad cab I rented for 4 days.

Here's the text from my invoice. The fix seems even stranger than replacing the ignition switch during attempt #3:

Intermitant communication, fair code U1000 and U1064. Replaced lift gate module, check grounds 107 and 108, check purge solinoid and data line to ECAS sys. tech. assist case #6167772, road test, cannot duplicate concern tech case #6167772

The lift gate module??? What the heck does that do? I really hope that was the culprit. We shall see...
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    Keep us posted on your stalling problem. Did you think the cold is associated with the problem? I hope its fixed for you. My '02 Envoy XL SLT with ECAS (12,500 miles) has never stalled but once backing out of the garage on a cold morning the idle noticeably dropped and I thought she was going to die but didn't. I usually let it warm up at least 30 seconds before heading out on the road and having remote start makes this pretty easy without wasting time.
    I love my Envoy XL but the cold Wisconsin weather has pointed out some of its cold blooded nature, not unusual for wheeled vehicles in my book. I've had Honda's and Saab's that have had their own unique cold weather characteristics. But on the Envoy for example, when cold and traveling up a 3/4 mile grade while on my way to the freeway in the morning it won't drop into overdrive thus wasting gas. That same grade, and even steeper grades, are easily traveled in overdrive when the vehicle is warmed up. My definition of warmed up is about after 5-7 minutes of operation at reasonable speed.
    Happy motoring.
    Chris
    RichardCoulson,
     Found a company, Go2Pac.com, that has the adaptors that anyone would need to add an amp to the bose system. The item#C2A-GM24 wont be ready for about 30 days, but in talking to the tech support of the company, they advised the item will work, heres the email.

The audio out of the factory deck is at a fixed level so you can not use a LOC there and if you get the signal after the factory amp it won’t be full range. We will have available in about 30 days an interface that will plug into the radio and reads the data signal being sent to the factory amp from the deck and adjusts the signal out. Part # is C2A-GM24. Watch our web site for updates.
  • yatesdyatesd Member Posts: 60
    Go directly to the source. GM provides an overview of it's systems in this month's Techlink article.
    http://service.gm.com/index_en-US.html

Just select the Techlink tab for information.

You will find that my Bravada will provide a slight delay compared to the "Full Time AWD" systems. "Full Time AWD" would be best for just snowy conditions. One thing that I appreciate with my "On Demand AWD" is that there is no wear on my system at all unless it is slipping.

So while I don't have as much bragging rights for it's immediate response. I will have a system that should be more reliable and better on gas mileage than comparable heavy duty truck based systems. I think you will find my link should address this question.

--
    Doug
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    I don't think cold weather is affecting my Envoy. I'll have stalls/near-stalls in 40 and 90 degree weather. The situation tends to happen more often in the first mile driven, but I've also had it happen when fully warmed up too. Sometimes it will go a week before stalling/near-stalling. Fortunately it only happens when stopped at long traffic lights, not while I'm moving.

According to the shop foreman, it only takes a "glitch" of 3 milliseconds on the data bus to disrupt the computers in these SUV's.

Make sure you take it in and get it checked out. Reference my case number from above. I disagree that engines are supposed to stall (in reference to a prior post). That implies breach of warranty since an engine is supposed to move the vehicle, not stop it and create a safety hazard.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I read a review that said the Envoy is supposed to have red lights on the bottom of the doors that shine down on the ground. Are these puddle lights? My '03 model doesn't seem to have these, or I haven't noticed them. Another light that was done away with maybe?
  • richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    The delay encountered with the a4wd would be alright on a front wheel drive vehicle such as the honda pilot. However, with a rear wheel drive vehicle you risk having the rear end fish tailing before the front can kick in. I always use 4hi part time when driving in snowy conditions.
  • tjcishere1tjcishere1 Member Posts: 42
    I have a Envoy XL slt. also, Just had a viper remote start put in works fine the range is great also. I have two key fobs now they told me i was unable to get everything all in one what did u have done. Reminding everyone that the factory key fob is for driver one and driver two memory seats, mirrors ect. thanks for ur help
    When I said that all cars will stall at some time or another, I said it from my own personal experience with my cars. Every car I have owned since I was 16 (37 years) has at some time stalled. This is no biggie. To call the NTSB every time your car stalls is rediculous. They have enough serious problems to investigate without being bothered with every stall which occurs. Now, when your car stalls at 75 mph, call the NTSB because that is serious. Just because the newer cars have fuel injection and computer controls, they are not given immunity to an occasional stall.

Frank
    I haven't had an engine stall on me for years and just the thought of driving and suddenly losing power steering and brakes makes me wonder how I'd react--I guess I'd have to manhandle it! I can still remember driving my dad's '65 Rambler with no power steering or brakes, whew!
    Chris
    Remote start. Since I am the primary driver of the Envoy I get the remote start key fob, mine works the driver 1 settings, I get the impression yours does not? My wife has the driver 2 key fob and rarely drives the Envoy. She has a '98 Transport and she loves it. If you'd like I can get you the brand name of the remote start as I don't know the name off-hand. It was installed by the dealer and doesn't void the warranty. Range is said to be 1000 ft. and I can verify that I have use it regularly around 250-500 ft. and it works fine.
    Chris
    Great website thanks, it will make for good reading now and in the future.
    '02 Envoy XL SLT owner.
    Chris
    Does the tech link information provided for your vehicle mean you should go in and have all of the calibrations done or does it mean that the calibrations are available if needed?

By the way, there are some good guidlines for installing two way radios in GM vehicles under the services provided section of the GM site.

Frank
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Just bought a 03 TB LS 2WD with the 1SC package. So far so good. But I have one question??? I'm not Joe Mechanic but I've seen alot of talk about 3.42 or 3.73 gears. What's the difference? Not sure which one's I have but will check the invoice. I think I have 3.73.
    Thanks
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I have never had a vehicle stall in 25 years and over 350,000 miles of driving. This is especially true of fuel injected vehicles. Stalling at or around idle can be just as bad as at 75 mph. If your vehicle stalls at an intersection when the light turns green, you could get rear ended. Or if you are accelerating into traffic or accross an intersection and your vehicle stalls, you could get hit. Either case is serious, is not normal, and should be reported.

GAM
  • jw4gmjw4gm Member Posts: 27
    Just want to add my 2-cents. I hope this new format accomplished its intent, whatever the intent was. It just made it harder for us non-computer types to enjoy. I'm sure there are work-arounds for this problem, but why? Does it have any benefits?
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I agree, the A4WD jerk is a bit annoying but it's better than having to select the 4WD option manually.

It's really only most effective from a dead stop or very low speeds. Personally, a full time AWD system is much better and IMO, I still like the Viscous systems previously used. Bravada's today no longer have SmartTrak....it's really just semi-smart IMO. Same system as the Envoy and TB's.

I wouldn't advise taking the Triplets on a comparison course with a subaru. You'll wish you had one then.

We are currently in process of replacing my wifes car with a Legacy Outback with Stability Control and all. I for the life of me couldn't spin or fishtale the darn thing with the system on. Even on a sweeping S Curve with a very slick coating of snow...this thing just took over and kept me on course. Very nice considering safety is my main concern for her. wouldn't dare do that with a 4WD in Hi or even A4WD.

Come on GM...get back to the good stuff at least as an option above A4WD!!
    That's just the gear ratio - the number of times the driveshaft turns to the number of times the wheels turn.
    3.42's give you better highway gas mileage because the engine will be revving lower for a given speed.
    3.73's are better for towing and will give you better low end acceleration. There are also 4.10's
    available that I kind of wish I had.
    3.73's seem to be the ideal, though.

I wouldn't advise taking the Triplets on a comparison course with a subaru. You'll wish you had one then.

Not me. For offroading or really bad snow conditions, AWD loses to 4WD. I was thinking of getting an Outback at one point, but it's over 30 grand to get a 6 cylinder version when things like the the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute are substantially less.

We are currently in process of replacing my wifes car with a Legacy Outback with Stability Control and all. I for the life of me couldn't spin or fishtale the darn thing with the system on.

Maybe that's because Outbacks are so underpowered :^)
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers on my non-Bose system.

Does anyone know if my dash is pre-wired for speakers? And if so, is the stock stereo set up already for dash speakers (kinda plug and play, I guess)? Also, if so, how do I remove the top dash panel in which the speak grills are located?

Another one, are the door speakers simply a round 6.5" coax or something? How do I remove the door panels without damaging the clips or whatever holds them in place?

Thanks for all the help!

Dean
  • tjcishere1tjcishere1 Member Posts: 42
    it would be great if u could forward me some info on your remote start. I had a Viper installed and like i said i have one key fob the viper one to start the truck and then the GM one to open the doors. Thanks in advance for you help
    Tommy
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    hmmmnnn...I'd have to take you up on that AWD vs 4WD challenge. With a fair share of time behind both when working for GM at their proving grounds, the AWD's always dominated. Ground clearance is the only area that the wagon looses on. However, it's not rocks it would be climbing over in the suburban world.

powerwise this thing really scoots. like the I6, it's no jumper off the line, but 215hp moves this thing in a way very similar to the Triplets. The 4 banger is the jumper and spools quicker but dies in the long haul.
    hmmmnnn...I'd have to take you up on that AWD vs 4WD challenge.

Allright, we'll head to a hugely steep rocky trail and I'll be forced to pull 4WD low out on you.

What would Paisan say?

I know the Outback has a good AWD system, but that car's still front wheel drive (for fuel economy) until it detects slippage. It may be quick, but there still is a delay unlike true 4WD.

The advantage to AWD is when going around turns and the fact that you can leave it on in variable conditions without worrying about damaging the drivetrain. Clearly for most people AWD makes more sense. I mas merely making a point to defend 4WD's benefits. I am not suggesting that driving up hugely steep rocky trails is something that matters to most people.

Also, I know it sounds like I'm bashing the Outback and that's not totally the case. It was on my list at one point and it's still probably the best wagon out there, until they start making the Magnum of course.