Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    tjpush - Which engine did you get, I6 or V8? I've been curious about the V8's performance and gas mileage.

Alright, is this de-contenting, assembly error, or my imagination. Is there supposed to be some kind of plastic or vinyl cover over the "dead pedal" foot rest for your left foot? I'll swear I saw it at the auto show and I think I see it in some brochures. But, my '03 Bravada doesn't have anything except the carpeting and it is getting quickly worn and quite dirty.

Someone noted that higher octane gas in a triplet would provide better gas mileage. I tried it in my '03 Bravada and after my first tank full and my normal work commute, mileage improved from the dismal 14.2 mpg I've gotten for 2,200 miles to finally getting over the low end of the EPA rating w/ 15.2 mpg. However, as previously noted, that isn't enough of an improvement to offset the higher cost of premium gas.

I think the gas mileage problem is the vehicle's weight. On level ground I can keep the "instant mpg" on the DIC between 18 and 35 mpg at constant speed. However, my 10 mile drive to work, while two thirds state highway, involves a 700 foot elevation change. The Bravada really gulps the gas going up hill. Fortunately, I make up most of the loss on the way home. But, I live in a hilly area of metro-Denver and every grade takes its toll. My old S-10 Blazer w/ the gross 4.3L V6 averaged 18 mpg on this commute, but it is 1,300 #s lighter.
  • bravadajonbravadajon Member Posts: 60
    I have the 03 LL Bean Wagon with the H6. I have used the 93 octane since day 1. I know...people have advised me that I could use the lower octanes but I would sacrifice some hp. Premium gas is now $1.77 cents/gallon in St. Louis. With the S. American and Iraq situations....I expect to see $2.00/gallon prices soon.

So I am considering the switch to the lower octane gas. How low can I go....89 octane....87 octane. I hate to do this to my peppy H6, but this is getting expensive. I don't want to listen to engine knock.

I am sure glad I got rid of my 2002 Bravada that got 15 mpg in the city, although that I6 engine used 87 octane. My Subie has been getting 23-24 mpg city.

I noticed Honda is advertising their H2 fuel cell car.

I would drive a hybrid if everyone else did....but I don't want to get run over by a Lincoln Navigator.

This current episode in our history may be the turning point for the big SUV...no one will be able to pay for gas.

Thanks for listening to me. Your opinion?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------ -------
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Time will tell but I work with a few people that drive 75% highway to work ect.., They swear they get 20-22 MPG, in their TB,aprox 8K-29K miles, I get 16 NOW 50% Highway,with 1400 miles on her. I had an Explorer with the 210 HP 6 I never got 19 MPG Highway ever! The best I did was 14-18, 18 being straight Highway! But the few people that have taken these vehicles on long road trips, said they got 21-24 MPG? So maybe, time will tell!
  • emmisemmis Member Posts: 2
    I don't have experience with Progressive but I switched from the Hartford to GMAC and realized a $600/year difference on two vehicles. It just goes to show you how bad insurance companies can rip you off..
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    It definitely pays to shop around on your insurance, and whenever possible combine multiple policies. When I first moved to NJ, a state notorious for ripoff insurance rates, I was disgusted with some of the quotes I was getting... as high as $2600 yr. However, after shopping around a little and a little negotiating, I actually got the best rate from one of the big boys: Allstate. As a Married Male under 30, I now pay just under $1000 for my Bravada, wife's Villager, and a motorcycle. That's even less than what I was paying in PA... go figure.

For Octane, it's not going to make any difference in power or gas mileage whatsover, since most modern vehicles have a combination of knock and oxygen sensors, electronically managed fuel injection and variable valve timing. Go with the lowest rating in the manual and be happy.
  • envoyenvyenvoyenvy Member Posts: 24
    I have an Envoy without the third row and the tray. With the seats up, it fits in the back section nicely. It has lips around it just in case something gets spilled, and is useful to keep the carpet clean.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    Yes, the '02 Bravada has a ridged plastic dead-pedal.
  • sloth501sloth501 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone lately noticed a leak in the rear window around the 3rd brake light? I noticed some beads of water running down the inside of the window the last time it rained. I checked the window the other day and I could see daylight (i.e. no gasket) at a few points along the bottom of the brake light. I have an '03 Envoy XL. I have put about 2100 miles on it since purchase 7 weeks ago. I am calling the dealership this morning for a service appointment.

So far my mileage started off at 17 and has dropped down 15 the last tank or two. I hope it improves because that is same mileage I would have gotten a Yukon instead...

Gary
  • condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    I have an LT EXT V8 with 2200 miles and have been getting 14.2 overall. I get about 14 city and 18 to 20 highway depending on how I drive that day.
    Performance has been awesome and I find that it rides heavier and smoother than the shorter models with the inline 6, but maybe that's just me.
    As for the cargo mat, I don't think they make one that covers both rows of seats. At least I haven't seen one yet.

No problems to report yet, knock on wood!
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Have you tried AAA for insurance? I was with USAA for years until I moved to St Louis and someone tipped me off to AAA. They beat USAA by about $50 for a 6 mo policy.
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Sigh - I figured that as soon as I signed on the dotted line that GM would be offering more money back. Funny thing, while I was at the dealership closing the deal the salesmen were all called to a quick meeting where GM announced the bump-up to $3000 cash back for Envoy XL. But nothing for Envoy so I went ahead. Still feel like I got a pretty good deal.
    Question: How do I know if my roof racks are facing the correct way? Reason I ask is when I put the ski racks on they lean toward the front of the truck. While it looks pretty "kewl" it doesn't seem to be very aerodynamic.

Also, when listening to a CD with the 6 disk changer the steering wheel mounted control switches between disks as opposed to between songs on the same disk as the manual states it's supposed to. I think there is more of a need for the ladder. Has any one else experienced this?
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    I have done much research on auto insurance (once every 6 mo., in fact) and have yet to find ANYONE who can beat AIG. I even qualify for the GMAC employee rates and AIG beat them by over $100. AIG beats Progressive and GEICO by almost $200 for me. Those rates are 6 month packages, so double the savings when comparing to a year.
    I am a single professional homeowner in my early 30's and it comes to ~$900 a year for my 2002 Envoy SLT 4WD. You old married farts will clearly do better! ;-)

My gas mpg is about 16.5 (DIC reading) on a hilly, 50% back road, 40% s'n'go, 10% HWY commute of 20 miles each way. I get 21mpg on all hwy trips. Going over the passes sucks the gas. But coming down I can coast most of the way. This truck really glides well with little transmission resistance.

The steering wheel buttons switch the disc, not the track. My manual says this is the intended behavior. On the single disc model, the button changes tracks. Perhaps you read the wrong portion of the manual.
    "The steering wheel buttons switch the disc, not the track. My manual says this is the intended behavior. On the single disc model, the button changes tracks. Perhaps you read the wrong portion of the manual."

Thanks, perhaps you're right. I'll take another look. If the idea is to keep the drivers hands on the wheel then I think it should be tracks not disks. What's the ratio, about 11 to 1. Makes no sense at all.

I have a 2001 Accord with the 6 disk changer as well and the steering wheel mounted button changes tracks, at least somebody got it right.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I noticed in my Envoy XL's second row seat the heat to the floor doesn't seem to work. If you turn the rear temperature all the way up and the direction to the floor, it blows icy cold air. If you change it to the ceiling vents it blows warm air. If you change it to mix top/bottom, it blows some warm air through the top vents and no air through the floor vents. Anyone else experience this?
  • jefferson6599jefferson6599 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried to put a turn signal mirror on a TB LS or LT or even an Envoy SLE? I come from a European car background and think the side signals are a great safety feature while switching lanes on the highway. I was thinking about getting a set for my TB LT. I was hoping they are pre-wired and a signal wire is included in the wire harness. If anyone knows I would appreciate it if they shared their knowledge.
    RE: condoriole
    I totally agree that the buttons should change tracks. Dumb design. From what I can tell, they are mapped to the 1-6 buttons that change stations when in radio mode. Therefore, when in CD mode they act like hitting the same buttons, thus changing the disc. Still, I have learned to live with it...

Update: got my driver side mirror fixed (again) for the wander issue. Second time in a year. The tech said the actuators went bad. I mentioned that this would start getting expensive once the warrenty ended. My service guy said due to the repeated nature of the defect, he would honor a 60k warrenty on that issue. I must say, this service center is winning some points with me.

RE: Turn signal mirror
    My envoy SLT has a turn signal light on the side mirrors. Don't they all have that? If not, I'm sure it is wired if you have power mirrors...

Other issues: Asked about getting the bigger 2003 gas tank in the 2002 model. Also, about attenuating the seat heaters so they were not so damm hot. My service guy is going to look into these issues for me. I'll keep you all posted.

Heat settings:
    Low: HOT
    Med: Really HOT
    High: Bake your [non-permissible content removed] like a potato! ;-)
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    Haven't posted in a while.

On-Star. I like it alot. Its a great to have such good reception on a phone in the car. I have a company cell phone but I use On-Star for personal calls. I got rid of my personal cell phone because of On-Star--how many phones can a person own anyway? I always purchase 30 minutes over a two-month period and I think the cost is reasonable. I will renew On-Star when the time comes. I've read posts which seem to say that a thief can disable On-Star by simply ripping-off the antenna. I highly doubt it can be disabled that easily.

Mileage. A bitterly cold winter in Wisconsin and I am averaging 16.5 mpg combined city/hwy (10/90%). I have remote start and often let the vehicle run for a minute or two before driving away so that wastes some gas I am sure.

Stalling. I never thought it would happen to me but it did. Backing out of the garage on a bitterly cold morning she died on me. Started up after a few seconds of cranking. I let it warm up another minute before driving away. I also noticed a tendency to drop rev's after placing in drive when the engine is still cold. I am not freaking out or anything yet, but at the next oil change it'll get a once-over by my dealer.

13,100 miles and I still love my Envoy XL SLT!

Chris
  • ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    Actually the wheel controls DO change the track when a CD is mounted in my Envoy, as it would make sense to do. I have the combo CD/Tape radio and not the 6 disc Bose unit...might be the buttons were programmed originally for the standard CD or optional CD/Tape head and not the Bose 6 disc changer.

Ray
    I noticed that the heated seats in our Bravada heat up much quicker and get much hotter than those in our '99 Chrysler 300M. I like that!

When the vehicle is really cold, the seat heaters provide a quick way to get the chill out of you until the truck heater starts providing adequate heat. Then I just back them down one level at a time until I don't need them anymore. With our 300M, by the time the seat heater starts getting you warmed-up, the car heat is already doing the job. Those lower heat units are much less useful than the units provided in the triplets.

BTW, when I discussed regular versus premium gas in an earlier post, I didn't note that regular gas in Colorado is 85 octane and super premium is 89 octane. Both are several points lower than what you folks get living anywhere from sea level to a couple of thousand feet up. The basis for the lower octane here is atmospheric pressure and oxygen content of the air. I think it was probably sound science at one time, but lately some technical experts say that the computer controls on modern vehicles already compensate for the altitude and a vehicle designated for 87 octane should use 87 octane at altitude for top performance. Not the 85 octane that is cheaper to refine, but priced the same as "flat-lander" 87 octane gas.
    Thanks for the note about the "dead-pedal". I knew I wasn't losing my mind, although my wife likes to argue that point. I'm going to check out another '03 and see if it is de-contenting or a production line screw-up. Either way, I'll be getting a plastice dead-pedal cover soon. It is just a question of whether or not I'll be paying for it.
    Interesting gas facts, I didn't know that.
    Let us know how your dead pedal hunt turns out. I always keep my foot there and that carpet is not going to cut it.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Dead pedal, glove box and underhood lights, dimming outside rearview mirror, radio antenna, etc. The also took out the plastic trim piece that went over the radiator and headlight. All that for $1000 more! But HUGE incentives makes everyone think they are getting a great deal.

One thing is certian, my '03 Envoy shifts MUCH better than my '02 Bravada did. No comparison. No hanging shifts, delayed downshifts, etc. One can only hope they can reprogram '02's with the '03 calibrations.

GAM
  • junkmanj2junkmanj2 Member Posts: 3
    We are anticipating purchasing an Envoy XL. Will the air suspension (presumably air shocks) improve the ride in normal situation or does all it do is level the load in towing situations and with a full passenger load? Appreciate hearing from someone who has experience with the optional load leveling suspension.

Jim
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    Assuming you can't acquisition a stock dead pedal by it self due to it being manufactured into the carpet at birth, you might want to consider a set of Husky Liners. The front mats cover the dead pedal. I just recently got a full compliment of them myself and I'm really impressed by their custom fit. Here's a picture of the mats. If you do find the '03's should have it then by all means apply the pressure on your dealership to provide it. Do let us know if you find them to be omitted from the '03's so we can add it to the list of features dropped from the '02's.
        Also to those interested in the Husky liners, I found a good deal on them. This may not be the best deal but I did quite a bit of searching and it was the best I could find.
    Premier Motoring Accessories has this deal HUSKY FLOOR & CARGO GUARDS-SAVE 10% & FREE SHIPPING ON COMBO ORDERS. I got the front, second seat, and cargo mats for $197.73 and I received them in four days. If you live in Ohio you'll have to pay sales tax so your price will be slightly higher.
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    I would suggest test driving both the Envoy XL with and without the air suspension. Make sure to get on a road with pot holes and such. When I test drove the regular size Envoy's I personally preferred the air suspension's ride on rough surfaces, but that's my opinion and you need to decide for yourself which one you prefer, especially since the XL version probably has a little different ride characteristics. I was lucky enough to have a dirt road running behind the testing dealerships that had some Geo Metro swallowing size holes in it just for such a test.
        Other things to consider would be the cost of fixing the air suspension after the warranty is up, which would be significantly more bucks. And because of the added cost I wouldn't consider buying the air suspension without getting an extended warranty. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting the air suspension, I went with it, I'm just throwing out food for thought.
        Oh and to answer your questions, it does improve the ride in everyday driving, even with a full passenger load.
    Thank you for your remarks; we actually were considering the extended warrantee. This leads me to another question. We usually take the manufacturer's extended warrantee. Is this negotiable? Am I better off with an internet warrantee?

Jim
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    The GM warranty is very negotiable. I purchased the 5 year 60,000 mile Major Guard warranty for $640.00, which is hundreds less than they first quoted me.

If you go with the Bravada, it's thrown in free. You'll just have to deal with the accelerated Oldsmobile depreciation.
    junkmanj2 - We bought an Envoy XL in December and test drove it with and without the air suspension. I felt the air suspension made the ride too "floaty", and the body roll was more pronounced. We opted to buy one without the air suspension. The Envoy XL has a very comfortable ride without it, you won't be missing anything. When we test drove the short wheelbase Envoy the ride was a little more harsh, so I could see how it might improve the ride there. Also, I have read a few posts about the system failing and leaving the rear end bottomed out. If you will be towing frequently it would probably be a good option to get, but if you are like me and will only tow a few times a year it may not be worth it.

As for the extended warranty, this web site will sell you a GM Majorguard warranty:

www.gmoutlet.com

You can call them and get a quote. The 4WD extended warranty will be more expensive than the 2WD extended warranty. I think the prices are better with them if you purchase it within 10 days of taking delivery of the vehicle. You can always use their quote to bargain with your local dealership on the price of the warranty, they might match it or beat it. Don't forget about sales tax, if applicable.
    Just checked KBB.com and the Bravada isn't really taking a depreciation penalty when all is put into consideration. When I compare a fully loaded 2002 TB LTZ, Envoy, and Bravada all with 15K miles... I get the following: $21,935 LTZ, $23,070 Envoy, $21,860 Bravada. When I shopped all three triplets, the TB LTZ had an MSRP a little less than the Bravada, but was actually selling for about the same price as a fully loaded Bravada. A fully loaded 2002 Envoy on the other hand had an MSRP for about $2k more than the Bravada and sold for about $1500 more than the Bravada, yet is only worth $1200 More as a trade. I'd say it's pretty much a wash...
  • edl55347edl55347 Member Posts: 46
    I have also noticed the 'delayed' light-up when the TB is cold. I have had mine for about a year and a half(20K miles). Whenever it is cold out, about 15-20 or colder, I noticed that the lights/guages do not come to full brightness for about 10 seconds after startup. It has done this this winter as well as last winter. I have not asked the dealer, but will the next time I am in.

As for the 6 disc changer, if you use the RANDOM setting, the steering wheel buttons will change the cd to the next song in the random sequence. If you have a single cd, it will go to the next track.

I do have an issue with my BOSE 6 disc changer: Sometimes the display will not change to indicate what disc/track is playing, it will continue to display the first cd/track that was played on vehicle startup or when you started the cd player. This is happening randomly - the dealer says the stereo will need to be sent in to be repaired. I am not sure I want them to pull the dash apart just for this. Has anyone else had this problem??
    My statement came from experience. I traded in a '98 Bravada, last year, and took a huge hit in depreciation over a closely equipped Jimmy. Yes, a Jimmy. There was a $4,000 difference in trade-in value. I was lucky to get the value KBB placed on it. I looked again today and now see that both have severely depreciated. The Jimmy is now only about $700 more. Considering that a fully loaded Jimmy was over $2,000 less when new, it's still something to think about.

About the 2002's - I get a GM Supplier discount, which means I pay about $400 less than invoice. When I was looking last year, both were very close in price for what I was looking for. MSRP on the Envoy was about $38,000 and Bravada about $37,500. The invoices were less than $500 apart. All being equal, I could have saved roughly $1,600 on the Bravada. That includes the extra $500 Olds loyalty bonus I qualified for. I see that according to KBB I already made up the difference (12,000 miles - Bravada $22,785 and Envoy $24,630). An extra bonus was losing the jerky AWD on the Bravada. 4WD is so much nicer in the snow!
    Redline65 Thanks for your comments; Your right, the ride is subjective and my wife likes the floaty ride. I will see if I can find a dealer that has an XL with and without Auto Ride. Thanks for the web site! I was totally unaware of it.
    You've been burnt before on the trade-in, so It's understandable that you were leary when looking at a new vehicle. Personally, I plan on keeping the Bravada at least as long as the warranty (5 years), and probably longer, so depreciation was never even been a factor for me. Gotta disagree with you about the 4WD being better in snow than an AWD though. Granted the older viscous clutch based Smartrak was quite jerky, the new system is pretty much transparent. With the added clutch plates you also get more variables for torque split. You lock a vehicle in 4WD, especially in snow, it isn't going to get stuck, but it still will drift!
    I haven't driven the 2002 Smart-Track system in the snow, so maybe it has changed since 1998. It really needed to. I know that the Bravada went to a new system in '98. It was rear wheel drive until it sensed slippage. It then kicked in AWD, and I mean KICKED in. If the road was slightly slanted to one side or the other, the Bravada would slide that direction and then grab. It would do this on and off in very slick conditions. I previously had a '93 Bravada, which never had a problem like this. It had the viscous clutch, though. However, in '93 the anti-lock brakes left a lot to be desired.

Good luck with your Bravada, and I hope you never need to use your warranty. :)
  • biggie4852biggie4852 Member Posts: 34
    We are coming up on 30k on our TB. I'm not big on going to the dealership and paying $250(service rep quote) for this 30k check up. I can do most of the thing's on the check list. But I can't locate cabin air filter. If anyone has change this filter please explain to me how to do it. Any option if this is even necessary.
    We live in So/Cal is climate condition important or no factor.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I'm looking to buy a SUV and I would like to see what the monthly payments might look like. If any of you all could share your monthly payments, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Redline65 Thanks for your comments; Your right, the ride is subjective and my wife likes the floaty ride. I will see if I can find a dealer that has an XL with and without Auto Ride. Thanks for the web site! I was totally unaware of it.

No problem, I'm sure you and your wife will love the vehicle. My wife is the primary driver of the Envoy XL. She's very happy with it. Do you guys know what colors and options you want? My wife went with the magnetic red metallic paint and dark pewter leather. Out of the Envoy's options, I would say the best are the BOSE stereo that will adjust the volume based on the noise level and not the speed, heated seats, and memory mirrors and driver seat. Probably the least useful are the headlight washers and the Travelnote recorder. The option it doesn't have that I wish it did would be some sort of reverse sensor that would let you know when you are a foot or so away from backing into something. The XL is long, so in tight parking lots it can be hard to tell where that rear end is.
    I'm looking to buy a SUV and I would like to see what the monthly payments might look like. If any of you all could share your monthly payments, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edmunds has calculators here on their web site that will help you determine your monthly payment. Just go to the home page and look under Finance & Insurance for the "Calculate Monthly Payment" link.
  • dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    I personally think cabin air filters in a consumer vehicle are kinda a farce. Everytime you open a window or door, you erase about an hour's worth of your fitlers work. They clean up the particulates in the cabin's air, but only if you can get a good pattern of airflow throughout the cabin.

They may make more sense in an over-the-road trucker's cabin or a farm tractor cab where the driver would spend hour after hour in the cab.

All they do is add a restriction into the airsystem.

Just my 2 cents...

D
  • monstersincmonstersinc Member Posts: 13
    Way back when there was some discussion regarding Trailblazer EXT's with factory running boards and whether or not the gm front mud guards can be installed. The fact is they can be installed. I have a 2003 TB EXT with option BVE running boards. I ordered the front splashguards (molded with chevy bowtie) even though the GM site says they won't fit with running boards. The p/n is 12498652. Just put them on yesterday. They fit perfectly. I especially like having them since I hated when the road dirt kept getting on the front doors during turns. It doesn't now.

FYI - My 2003 TB EXT L6 has 2500 miles (10/02 build), GMS order. To date no problems. I love it (I have a '99 Pontiac Montana as well) I did have a fender bender with it (no one was in the car). Someone backed into my driver front door while it was parked during an evening heavy rain storm back in November. (doesn't that just bite). The entire door was replaced along with a scratched left running board and the chevy molding. Total cost $2500.00 ($1000 for parts) (The other party's insurance is paying). Hats off to the dealer's body shop who did a fantastic job repairing it within 8 days (after parts had arrived) All GM OEM parts.
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    I've been waiting for an after-market dead pedal cover to come out. Thought about fashioning one myself at one time. Thanks for the web-site. I'll gladly replace my Sam's Club mats for those babies. My left foot's been aching to rest on that spot since day one.

Air suspension: I have ECAS and its great. I didn't really notice any difference on test drives between a regular suspension and the air bladders but the biggest reason for me is that you can load to the limit and still be riding level. The ride is very nice. Also, we own an
    '98 Transport with air suspension and have not had any problems so the system is mature. The application may come with some risk but its been used by GM for at least 5 years now and probably longer. Another benefit of ECAS is a built in air compressor, good for inflating whatever.

I have an '02 Envoy XL SLT build date 5/02. Ordered in Polo Green with Med Pewter, Bose, ECAS, locking differential, running boards. Accessories (all GM so far)-- hood wind deflector, mud-flaps (all 4 wheels). Getting the brake light for the trailer hitch this week. Now with 13,200 miles. Its the most satisfying vehicle to drive that I've ever owned. Overall MPG is about 17.5. If I can keep it on the highway where most of my driving is, 18-20 is very achieve able.

Chris
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's a good one!

tidester, host
  • envoyownerenvoyowner Member Posts: 42
    #9920 of 9935 Re: junkmanj2 by 2002slt Feb 02, 2003 (12:24 am)
    The GM warranty is very negotiable. I purchased the 5 year 60,000 mile Major Guard warranty for $640.00, which is hundreds less than they first quoted me.

2002 Envoy SLT
    Seems like you got a good deal on this warranty. I have not purchased an extended warranty, but it seems I should. Is this (the GM warranty)something that has to be purchased through the dealership at which the car was purchased? If not, would you be willing to provide information on where you purchased yours?
    Thanks for the great information.
  • tjpushtjpush Member Posts: 9
    9891 of 9935 Bought a new TBLZ EXT by cebteb Jan 30, 2003 (11:39 pm)
    cebteb wrote in part in msg # 9891:

"tjpush - Which engine did you get, I6 or V8? I've been curious about the V8's performance and gas mileage.

Alright, is this de-contenting, assembly error, or my imagination. Is there supposed to be some kind of plastic or vinyl cover over the "dead pedal" foot rest for your left foot? I'll swear I saw it at the auto show and I think I see it in some brochures. But, my '03 Bravada doesn't have anything except the carpeting and it is getting quickly worn and quite dirty." ...

I have the I6(or L6 as they called it in the manual). I didn't get to test drive an EXT with the V8. But I did try a Tahoe, which is not as smooth as the EXT.

For the dead pedal, there is just the carpet cover, no additional cover or protection. The spot is already dirty.
    Yes, I purchased the warranty at the dealer on the day of delivery. They were really pushing it. On my last 3 new cars I avoided purchasing one. This guy wouldn't take "no" for an answer. He brought out a pamphlet and showed me what he claimed was actual dealer cost (~$550). (I have no idea if this is true. I don't trust finance guys at car dealers very much.) After thinking/worrying about purchasing a first year model, I caved and took his last offer of $640. He started at $1K. I hope I don't need it, but I do feel better about having it.

My Envoy will be 1 year old this week. I haven't taken it back to the dealer for anything. I've never owned a vehicle as good as this one. I would be very content if the $640 I spent on the warranty was a waste.
  • kevitrakevitra Member Posts: 20
    We purchased a 2003 Envoy XL last week. We purchased an XL with SLT package, heated seats, side airbags, and running boards. We have been very happy with it so far.

I got it for $3500 below MSRP, which I was happy with. Other dealers in the area were only offering $2000 off.

We plan on keeping this vehicle for a very long time. We knew that we would buy the extended warranty. We purchased a 6 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper. I am wondering if anyone else has purchased this warranty, and what they paid.

The warranty we purchased was through Chrysler. It is good at any GM dealer and has a $100 deductable. They didn't want to sell us the GM 6/100K warranty because they said it was $800 more than the Chrysler.

Input would be appreciated. I can cancel it can repurchase it somewhere else if I got ripped off.

Thanks
  • kevitrakevitra Member Posts: 20
    I did some checking online and we did get ripped off on our warranty. I will be cancelling it and repurchasing it online. I don't know the cancellation terms (the warranty is at home). We have had the Envoy for less than one week so I think I should be ok cancelling it. The dealer's grade just went from A to F (they were good until this issue).
    I have had this happen to me once or twice. Just 'reboot' the radio and it goes away. Seems to happen when on random more often...
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    If you can't afford the GM mirrors, these are a nice alternative and they have models that fit ANY CAR:

http://www.muthco.com/