Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    bluesub, volk, tw:

i LOVE the edmunds forums for this very reason: people like you!

i now negotiating for $22100. if the '06 gets the upgraded engine... well, i can live with it [heck, i had a Solara and originally thought THAT was quick... :) ]

mileage varies, but generally the WRX seems to get the same milage if not better than what i'm used to. for the thrill of pretending to be McRae, Sainz or Burns, i can shell out some additional bucks for premium.

thanks again!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    One trade-off, for sure, will be less fuel efficiency with the 2.5l engine. No way will it match the 2.0's fuel efficiency with 25% more displacement.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    The 2.0 has been bulletproof for many years. The 2.5, on the other hand, has had all sorts of head gasket issues. I am not convinced they have been fixed at this point -- I think they are relying on coolant conditioner to take up the slack. Personally, I would choose the 2.0 for reliability!! You rarely hear of problems with the 2.0 in the WRX when left in stock form, and it's even pretty tolerant of mods.

Craig
    None of the turbos have had head gasket issues. And besides, the block is different.

I haven't heard of any STi gasket failures. Or Forester XT. Or Baja turbo. Or Legacy GT. Not one.

-juice
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    In the past 12 months I drove about 23000 miles and spent about $1250 on gas.

YMMV (literally!!)

DjB
  • jchristopherjchristopher Member Posts: 8
    Just as a data point for potential shoppers looking for 05 Wagon WRX cars...

Just bought one for $24,000 out the door (tax, title, DMV, destination, everything) with a 5sp manual, bumper cover, cargo tray, and security upgrade.

Our sales tax rate here is 7.75%, so you can work that backwards and see what might be reasonable for your own area.

For reference, this was about $250-300 less than CarsDirect would have been. So I think it's pretty competitive. For 30 minutes of email negotiating, I'm satisfied.
    I posted a complaint about Coleman Subaru of New Jersey in the buying/prices paid forum.

I put a deposit on a blue-pearl WRX sedan w/premium package, short-throw shifter, auto-dimming rearview mirror, and the upgraded 'security' package (Nitti Subaru in Hamilton, NJ) - with a lot of help from Edmunds and Carbuyingtips.com, I got it down to $25,000. With my Solara trade-in, that knocked the price down again to $18,300. The car is at another dealership, and has to get delivered/swapped.

Monday or Tuesday, I expect to get a call for my car, and at that point, I hope the numbers stay the same. Anyway, I'll spend an hour or so making sure the exterior/interior is up to snuff, and that the car sounds/performs as well as the other three I've test-driven.

As soon as I test the car, I'll update this report. Wish me luck!
    SInce you seem to be concerned with getting a good deal, make sure you are paying around invoice or lower (and check incentives too -- they would lower the price even more).

When I bought my WRX, I paid about $600 under invoice which worked out to about $3K under MSRP. The car stickered for $26K and I paid $23K basically, before taxes/tags/license.

Good luck!

CRaig
    ... tired but happy after hours of negotiating, but the drive in to work was great... still i can't wait to get past the break-in period.

wow, the ride is more responsive/informative than my old Solara. and how embarassed do i feel that my moniker is on this forum? :)
    I too wish Edmunds had a re-name feature, but I don't believe they do.

-juice
    cool, it's a fun car!

Craig
    Craig & Juice. ack - only 600 or so more miles...

Marty
  • marcus3marcus3 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a WRX 5-speed with the Premium package. Price was exactly $27K out the door.

There should be a $1500 rebate on the WRX (non STi as is ours). The dealer is essentially giving you nada for your desirable, low- depreciation Toyota. Look right here in Edmunds for the trade-in value. They will also suggest a price for selling it yourself--which is a bit of a hassle, but probably worth the wait. (Put a deposit on the WRX to hold in the price and rebate, if you can.)

What kind of a car is it? I have the newer Audi A6 which isolates and soothes as you drive. I like that. The Subie has the look and feel of a solid Tokyo taxi cab--until you boot it. And I love that. It will simply outrun most any Audi or BMW other than the M3 while making you laugh your brains out. It's actually more fun than the German sedans, and particularly the Mini. I think the seats are exceptional, also the stereo and climate system. These kudos from an "Audi guy!" You will never regret it.
    hello!

Edmunds/KBB estimated my 2000 Solara (because of the mileage - almost 88K) to be about $5700. The Solara's paint suffered from almost innumerable chips, plus it had the less desirable manual tranny - so I knew the re-selling the Solara with the stick would be a prob.

The Subie dealer offered $6700 for the Solara, and a $750 cashback. i figured it evened out... $18300 plus tax/tags; Premium package including the autodimming mirror and short-throw shifter - seemed like a bargain to get a car I'd been fantasizing about since the WRX became available...

The only downside so far: the Solara's stock JBL stereo was head & shoulders better than what's in the WRX... but I didn't buy this car for its stereo... :)

should reach 1K miles next week.

many thanks for your observations!
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    Anyone of any good alignment shops in the central/northern NJ area? Ones where the techs will align to specs other than stock?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Check out Lightning Automotive on rte 22 in Union. Good guys. I've used them several times.

-mike
    Thanks Paisan.
    I think I'll be seeing you for some agx/spring install...check your website order requests : -)

Don
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I am coming up on my 60K service on my '02 WRX, and had a question with regards to engine oil choices. I have been using 5w-30 Mobil 1, but considering 10w-30 for the future oil change.

the Mobil 1 website recommends 10w-30.

Interestingly, it recommended 5W-30 for '04 WRXs with 20K to 50K miles on it.

I am guessing I will not go wrong with either grades, but was curious.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    "With my Solara trade-in, that knocked the price down again to $18,300"

Dude, didn't you learn ANYTHING from Edmunds? :confuse: Trade-in is still YOUR MONEY, so it does not reduce the purchase price. Unless they pay you more than the car is worth...

Now I know why some dealerships advertise price with "you pay" and asterisk and small print "price includes $2500 trade-in or cash". So, who paid that trade in Santa Claus? Dwarfs?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

where do you live?? When I looked at the specs for Mobil 1 in my 03 WRX, 10W-30 was the best choice here in Virginia, so that's what I used. For regular "dino" oil, I would have stuck with 5W-30.

Craig
    perhaps U didn't read all the posts? i got a little over $1K more than what my car was worth.

thanks for the concern, no thanks for the sarcasm.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    Sorry, I sometimes jump too fast... Just heard too many times from many people something like this "I paid so and so for this", which sounded too good to be true. After couple of more questions it comes up that it was after the trade was considered. I guess, I unloaded my frustration on you. Sorry again... :blush:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I guess that would mean the Mobil 1 10-W30 is probably fine? After reading this board, it seemed like a good idea to switch to Mobil 1 for a turbo engine that was new to this market. I figured if worse comes to worse, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you for the reply! :shades:
    Yeah, 10W-30 Mobil1 would be perfect for you.

Craig
    Thanks again Craig, appreciate your quick input. :shades:
  • 86regalt86regalt Member Posts: 7
    I have a question for all of the WRX enthusiasts. Has anyone been real uncomfortable in the WRX seat. I bought a 2005 WRX Sept 2004 and the seat is absolutely killing me. I can't drive it for more than 45 minutes or I am in pain. I have tried a bunch of different cushions and padding but nothing helps. Subaru says the seat can't be switched with one from a Legacy which seems to be more comfortable.

Basically I am just wondering if I am the only one experiencing this problem and what other seats will work in this car. It does have side airbags which make aftermarket seats a problem.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas!!
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I have on 04 WRX that came with the same seats as your 05 and I absolutely hated those seats on longer drives. They made my back and legs hurt like no other car seat I've sat in. Of course, the brief test drives don't tell you anything about long term comfort so I really didn't think about it before buying.

After 12,000 miles of hating the seats, I finally sold them online and bought a set of 2003 WRX seats (which are relatively easy to find online). The seats swap out in a matter of minutes, you still have the side airbags, and the 02/03 seats are supremely comfortable on long trips. I have put another 20,000 miles on the car with the new seats and the difference was amazing. Comfortable, supportive...everything a seat should be.

Incidentally, I sold my front seats for $450 and bought the used 03 seats for $350 if I recall...and it was by far the best upgrade I made to the car!

Brian
    I loved the seats on my 03 WRX. From 04-onward, the seats are wider and much less supportive.

CRaig
  • trevian2trevian2 Member Posts: 22
    I'm just about ready to have my 30K mile service performed. What is a reasonable price to pay for this service? Any comments / suggestions on the maintenance schedule details for this service? Do I really need to replace spark plugs after 30k miles?

Thanks for your help.

Jason
    I had an independent Subaru mechanic do my 30k service (04 WRX) for $275. This was just for the services recommended in the owners manual, nothing more. Dealerships all went above and beyond the recommended service schedule, but wanted to charge anywhere from $350-750 for the 30k service. And, NO, the WRX does not need spark plugs at 30k, according to the manual...they're due at 60k.

brian
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I drove to CA and back from WI and the seats in my 02 were extremely comfortable for the whole trip. I'd seriously consider the seat swap.
    Thanks for the info. If you can say, where did you find the used seats. That sounds like a good possibilty for me to pursue.

I will say this much, Subaru was willing to do nothing except say they were sorry that the seats are uncomfortable. Of course they also said any modifications I make to the car will void the warranty. :mad:

I will keep you posted as to my progress. Thanks again!!
    Steve
    yup, gotta admit, the old Solara's seats were much more comfy than my '05 WRX sedan; lumbar support bar did wonders. i ended up buying a lumbar support pillow - kind of a three panelled pillow only six inches high that conforms to the lower back area of the car seat. it pushes me forward too much initially - i hate driving with my knees - but eventually becomes unnoticeable.

i have been looking at Ebay for '02/'03 WRX seats - should i be looking at NASIOC for them?
    I got tired of looking for a dealer that would just do what is listed in the manual so I did it myself. If you are in the NJ NY area you should contact Paisan. If I had known they do regular maintenance work I would have gone to them. (AZP)
    Well there always is the 60K and the big belt at 105K.

anyone ever find out how the valves are adjusted?
    I bought and sold my WRX seats on NASIOC, although I'm sure there are other alternatives. I handled both transactions locally (within 100 miles) to avoid shipping because those seats are heavy and very bulky -- which means expensive to ship.

Incidentally, Subaru CANNOT void your warranty just for changing the seats; that's illegal and they are required to honor the car's warranty. They can, however, decide not to warranty the different seats (ie: if you had a problem down the road with the airbags or seat tracks). For them to void you entire warranty, they would have to prove that the seat swap directly caused the part failure.

Brian
    Ah.... more good information. Thanks. :)

I will keep that in mind if I change the seats and have a warranty issue. I guess maybe they mean if the airbag system has a problem they won't fix it under warranty.

By the way, are the 02, 03 WRX seats an exact swap including the tracks and the electrical connector for the airbags??

Thanks,
    Steve
    Yes, they are an exact swap. The only thing to be aware of is the seatbelt buckles, which are attached to the seat base. If you sell your seats without removing those buckles and your next set doesn't have them, you'll have to buy them. I don't know if most people remove the buckle recepticles before shipping, but my seats did not have them and I had to bolt the 04 buckles to the 03 seat frame (same location on both seats).

B
    Sounds good. The extra info is good to have. I would not have thought about the seat buckles. I don't think I will sell my seats right away but may eventually.

I don't know if you'll know the answer to this one but I figured I'd ask. Are the wagon front seats, passenger and driver, the same as the sedan? I figure that they are. The back seats I am pretty sure are different since the wagon seat folds down.

Anyway I now have a possible solution other than getting a different car. Thanks again for all of the info!

Steve
    the sedan and wagon front seats are the same...the rears, however, are not interchangable since the wagon's fold down. This modification saved me from selling the car altogether. Nearly 100% of my driving involves highway stints of 2-3 hours at a time, and it was unbearable before the seat swap.

Happy shopping, I'm sure you'll be able to find a set near you!

Brian
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I haven't tried either of these , but, perhaps Subaru should follow Mitsubishi's lead with their EVO and offer Recaros, or maybe ask Saab for some help with the next Impreza's seats?
    The recaros in the evos are imho, the worst recaros I have ever seen. My neighbors evo's seats started to delaminate.
    I have tried sitting in a 2005 Legacy Limited with the 8 way power seat and leather. That feels comfortable and I was thinking about trading in the WRX and eating some money but I may give the 2002/3 seats a try! Thanks to all for your feedback. :)

Steve
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I upgraded from a 2002 WRX to the Legacy GT Limited about a month ago. It may just be that my body conformed to the WRX seats, but I still don't think the Legacy seats for all their adjustment and power and leather are as comfortable as my WRX seats were. The WRX seats didn't look all that good IMO. The newer WRX and Legacy seats look alot better, but the old seats were comfortable.
    You probably miss the tighter bolsters. Those were some great seats, but I bet the new seats conform to bigger folks better.

-juice
    Hi Brian,

Looks like the 03 seats are the way to go. I have one more question I would like to ask you. Did you disconnect the battery or do anything special before you unplugged the air bag connectors. I have heard air bags can be touchy. Any info about your swap will be greatly appreciated!! I drove an 03 WRX today and the seat if much better so I am going to try it. Also thanks for directing me to the NASIOC web site.

Steve
    Yes, I did disconnect the battery, just in case. The airbag plugs were a little tricky to disconnect (requiring a series of hold-here-push-there antics) and there's an additional wire on the driver's side that tells the seatbelt light in the dash if you're belted or not, but it's otherwise very straightforward. Start-to-finish was 30 mintues. Oh, and watch the seat tracks when you pull the sets out or put the new ones in -- I put a deep scratch in my doorjamb from the sharp track as I put one of the seats in. :cry: I think you'll be impressed with the comfort of the 03 seats in comparison...my partner and I absolutely love them :D

Brian
  • cinosweivecinosweive Member Posts: 166
    Yes, those fantastic bolsters were just not designed for the average american physique, or for anyone else who has seen the inside of a gym within the past year. Once again, we have to settle for the dumbed-down version. :(
    fattened up! ;)

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    I have a 2002 wagon and I love the seats; they are the most confortable of all the cars I've owned...my wife hates them, she is used to her 2001 legacy GT seats. Whenever we go to Disney World, it is a straight-thru 3-hour drive with no stops..no back-pain, leg pains, or cramps at all when we arrive
    Serge :shades:
  • cyluriancylurian Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 WRX and I have the same problem. I have taken my car for the same engine light problem 5 times now. The dealer tells me it is a mis fire on cyl 1. Have you fixed your issue?
This discussion has been closed.