Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Autoweek quotes a Mazda exec as stating it's too small for the US market. Too bad, as this would make a really nice replacement for our '04 in 4 or 5 years.

-Jason
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    The reclining 2nd row seats is a good idea. Would sure help me be more inclined to hand over the steering wheel to wifey with a chair like that available. :blush:

Put a DVD in back of front seat headrest, multiple beverage holders...lean back ahhhh...maybe get a haircut from my 4 year old, a pedicure from my 10 year old...and just relax the day away. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    After reading jipster's comments about sporty looking MPV, I have noticed more MPV lately and they are very sporty looking while the Caravan/ SWB T&C look short and fat by comparison.
    The MPV with the rub strip on the side are much more attractive than those without that strip...the strip makes them look sleeker. The MPV also has a nice, sporty looking grille. ;)
    Hans, funny you should make the comment about the side moulding strip (and side skirt). I saw a MPV in the groceries parking lot the other day...I'm thinking...hmmm whats wrong with that MPV...looks kind of plain compared to mine (it was also an 2004 model LX) Then I noticed it didn't have the sport package, which includes the side strip and skirt, as well as the zoom zoom spoiler. All of which make the MPV much more attractive and sporty looking than those without. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Folks...I am drooling! Did anyone translate the Japanese article? This puppy is getting the 2.3 liter turbo from the MazdaSpeed6 and will include a 6-speed manual transmission in Japan! How cool is that...272 HP.

My heart hurts though since it is doubtful if the vehicle is even coming here, and even if it does, there is no way that they would offer a manual transmission here in Lazy-Right-Hand America.

I am certainly going to email Mazda, begging and pleading for this MPV to come to the US. Manual transmission or no, this will be a hot minivan, either with the 2.3 turbo, or a 3.5 liter V6 (Ford estimates around 245 hp). It certainly looks bigger than the current one...I would think that would be enough to sell more, especially since it looks so hot.

Any ideas on how to get it here?
  • boydalboydal Member Posts: 1
    Jason,

Some 18s would be awesome and SWEET! I would recommend some Giovanni Anzios, but I would be leaving you for some repairs later on down the line! So let me tell you that 18s are HOTT! I even know a guy with some 20s on his MPV! I have 18s. Stay within the 17 / 18 ratio with some low profile tires okay? Now about those Giovannis! I'm getting ready to have my second set of bearings put on the rear of my MPV. So I'll tell you to not get the Giovanni Anzio rims. They are SWEET, but at $300.00 per side to replace the bearings, me paying $1800 for rims and tires weren't worth the repairs.

Gizmo :D;)
  • lingonberrylingonberry Member Posts: 1
    The rotary engine would be a perfect match to go hybrid, especially for a minivan.
    A small engine with very few moving parts, a lot of power
    packed into a small space and, if going hybrid, it would solve two of the rotary's problems, high emissions and
    low mileage. Is this a good idea?
    I took the 2004 MPV into the dealership today to have the tires rotated. While there I asked a few questions about the tires for life that I recieved upon purchase of MPV back in July 2004. Service person sent me to parts...which sent me back to service.One person said I must replace tires with same OEM tires. $1,500 Customer cash card has a limit of $500 for lifetime tires. Don't know if the $500 is per tires exchange...or $500 total in tire exchanges. Which would assume I only put around 2,000 miles per year on the vehicle. The parts dept. person said the OEM Dunlops are $150 apiece. Which would mean I would end up paying around $100 for my 4 free tires. Excuse me for a moment :cry::cry::cry: o.k...much better. Anyone have any experience with these tires for life and all the fine print that comes with it??? I know about the required maintenence.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Havent seen any hybrid RX-8's but Mazda has some hydrogen powered RX-8's on the road in Japan....
  • slovikovskislovikovski Member Posts: 8
    with less than 30000 miles i have rear heat lines replaced, new tires and a new altenator.... ZOOM BOOM DOOM
    Any word on whether the 2007 MPV is coming to the U.S?
    Some say no...some say maybe.

The 2007 is just a little bigger than the current model from what I understand. Supersize the MPV to suit the current American taste in large minivans...and it would be a sure fire winner.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I say no it won't come here. the CX7 and CX9 will be where Mazda focuses their attention next.

-Brian
    hi subearu, I haven't heard anything about the CX7 or the CX9. What type of vehicle are they??
    edmunds has some of the info on the CX-7 wrong...it will have the MazdaSpeed6 engine not the 3.0l. The first orders are in and we expect a late spring 2006 arrival.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, folks,

There's also a discussion about this vehicle in our Future Vehicles Forum:

2007 Mazda CX-7

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Thanks guys and claires.
  • mcrowmcrow Member Posts: 1
    hi all,
    new to this forum. have a 2003 with 45K miles. am trying not to be sorry we have it but it does seem to be becoming less reliable: query: is anyone having electrical problems? here are some i have: the area where the cd player and temperature/ac dials are located heats up tremendously so that just putting your hand there or using the dials allows one to feel the extraordinary heat. cds heat up a lot even if not used. also, when the fan is on, the radio indicates interference. second problem, from time to time the electric door locks simply stop working. then start again. third, new problem: cannot start car, battery is fine, alternator is fine. am going to the shop on monday but i have had 3 jumpstarts in 4 days. it first happened when i drove to a gas station where there was a line, turned off engine and listened to radio for 5 minutes, then couldn't start car. of course, warranty expired 14 days ago.... are these common problems? oh and i have automatic transmission which lurches all the time and the shop says they have never replicated this problem....
    thanks
    maggie
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Maggie, we have an '02 and it has been flawless to date at 38 k.

Some '03-04 owners have had hard shifting problems. A tranny shop may not know about this but the dealers all have Technical Service Bulletins and software to reprogram your tranny (it is a safety issue and maybe Mazda will honor the out-of-warranty---but I believe the warranty was extended to 50k in '03?).

Sounds like a bad battery connection or ground. Someone should be able to track this down for you.

John
  • chisfu1chisfu1 Member Posts: 25
    I had a 2003 MPV ES w/39K miles on it, it's been very reliable so far except the passenger side door didn't close sometimes! I took it to the Mazda dealership for the 30K service and they took care of it for me at the same time w/o any charges. It has 50K warranty, so the Mazda dealership should take care of it for you. Or if it's more than 3 years, they should at least fix it with a discounted price for you. Since the Mazda dearlerships are going to improve their customer satisfaction level in the US, I believe they will do it for you.
  • nlsnls Member Posts: 65
    Doesn't the 2003 have a 4 year 50000 mile warranty?
  • chisfu1chisfu1 Member Posts: 25
    According to my brochure of 2003 MPV, it's 3 years/50K miles warranty. I believe Mazda changed it to 4 years/50K from 2004 models...
    well, unless it was bought in 2002 it should still have something left, right?

Besides, the tranny issue is likely a reprogramming and and normal dealer will acknowledge that it came with the car and needs fixing.

John
    According to link title, the warranty on 2003 models is 4 years, 50000 miles.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I have not found it necessary to open the rear vent windows yet on our van. The a/c works very well (we have the rear a/c also), so power opening rear vent windows, IMHO, would be not really needed.

Regarding the brakes discussion...there are a few advantages to having disk brakes on the rear of a vehicle. However, stopping power really is not one of them. Let me explain why:

When you apply the brakes, the weight of the vehicle is transferred onto the front wheels (assuming you're are driving forward like most sane drivers). Thus, the rear brakes do little of the work, at most 25%. The reason most higher-end autos have rear disks are for fade-resistance, as disk brakes both cool faster and provide better modulation of the braking power. These are both features lost on about 90-95% of common drivers, since they never really tax the braking systems.

I used to race VW GTIs in the SCCA club scene, and I had upgraded the rear brakes to disks, mainly for two reasons: first, I could modulate brake bias (front to rear control) better to make the car slide in turns, and secondly because the pads are easier to replace than the shoes on drum brakes. These are two issues you probably won't ever encounter on a minivan (I hope nobody's club-racing an MPV?).

(I would think,)the reasons for Mazda to use the drum brakes probably is monetary (their cheaper), and also none of their competitors are using disk brakes in the rear, not even cutting-edge Honda. If you've looked at the rear drum brakes on the MPV, they are actually huge. I'm not sure, but they probably come directly off of their B-series trucks. Of course, the previous MPV model used disk brakes on the rear, but I never noticed an advantage.

Sorry for the long post...
  • matt46matt46 Member Posts: 1
    2000 MPV engine warning light comes on. Manual says check room fuze. Removing and replacing room fuze turns off light for a few days before it comes back on. Repeat process gets same result. Replace fuze got same result. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what solved it? The fuze connection goes deeper in the fuze box than all other connections. Is that how it is for all MPVs?
    When a CEL comes on steady (not blinking), that indicates an emissions related issue. First thing is to check the gas cap. Since it's coming back on after the reset, you should get the code read to determine what it's trying to tell you. AutoZone can read the code, as can your dealer. Or if you have a code reader (I have one from OBD-2.com) you can DIY. Once you have the code, you can further investigate what to do.

A blinking CEL indicates an engine misfire, btw.

-Brian
  • jimmy1969jimmy1969 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all I am a new owner of a 2005 MPV LX. My question is are there any splash guards for the 05? They are not listed in the accessories brochure, and the dealers parts people are not even 100% that the 2004 MPV guards (they show 2004 front and rears)will work on an 05, does anyone have any information on this? Thanks.

Jimmy
    05 model is basically unchanged from 04. So, 2004 splash guards should work for 05. Don't know why your dealer wouldnt know this...or look it up for you.
    just wanted to let everyone know...this is the last month to order 2006 MPV's.
    Do you know when the last shipments of MPV'S...ever...will come in from Japan? :cry: I'm guessing end of July.
    not sure..but this allocation is for March production and May arrival...only 215 MPV's are allocated to the NE region for the remainder of the year. The NE is the strongest region for Mazda so I suspect other regions will even have less availability.....also the orderbank is weighted towards 'SV' models.
    Thanks for the reply jipster. One more question. Do you know if they mount using the trim screw holes and line up perfect, or do you have to drill holes and measure yourself?

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    Sorry Jimmy..I do not know. Anybody else have an idea??
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Just about to pull the plug on my 2000 MPV with 112K miles. It's been a good run. This has been probably one of my most trouble free vehicles, at least since my '79 626. Not perfect, but close. I did have to bite the bullet and get a new battery a few months back. The brakes are still original and it's never needed a tune-up. Only three troubles that I've been able to easily live with. It's made the "moosing" noise on first starting in cold weather for a few years, the CD changer packed it in a couple years back (probably from disuse since I mainly listen to the radio), and the driver's window gets hung up if lowered more than a couple inches (I can get it back up with some tugging). So, I've basically escaped with only normal maintenence. Not too shabby, I'd say. Kudos to Mazda.
    Good to hear about your MPV. What are you getting in it's place?
    No alternator failure, no coolant leak from rear heat lines? Guess you weren't in the snow belt, or else you were extremely lucky. Did you ever get the IAC valve replaced for the "moosing" noise? How about tires - assume you didn't make it to 112K with OEM tires!
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    Jimmy, those on 02 MPV fit in the trim holes except for the front ones, for the front ones you suppose to drill one hole on each side, but I did not yet, it holds just on those 2m or so which were awailable.
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    The alternator held up just fine. No rear heat in this one. Only need rear air here in the South. I never bothered getting the IAC valve replaced since the "moosing" only lasted for a few minutes in the mornings or on cold weather starts and never happened for most of the year. I'm on the third set of tires now. I used Michelins for replacements for the OEM Dunlops. That reminds me, never needed an alignment either. My new ride is an '06 Civic EX. Quite a change from dear old Mazdie. Unfortunately, my wife's old '95 Odyssey packed it in unexpectantly almost two months ago. After towing it to the dealer we concluded it wiser to trade for the Civic than fix it. The Mazda will be traded, possibly tomorrow, for either an '05 Volvo V70 or an '06 Mazda 6 Wagon. We really didn't want to be buying two new cars, but what can you do.
    anyone use Falken Ziev 512's to replace the 'lops (215/60R16)? They have the 95H weight rating, A's on temp, traction, HR on speed and 420 treadwear. #1 rating and $59 delivered from Discount Tire.

Plus I hear they are very quiet. I can't find the original 'lops anywhere, and the improved? version is well over $100 each.

John
    Which would you buy? I am looking to get something for the front end to try and keep rock chips from doing too much damage. I know the full front bra covers everything nicely, but is the upkeep a pain, and does it remove / install easy? The price difference between the two is about $45. Anyone have any experience with either one?

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    I got the bug guard(hood deflector) on my 04 MPV after getting a couple chips on front hood area. I had read the bra was a bit of a pain to install and maintain...and could cause wear on paint if not careful.

The hood deflector(from Mazda dealership) was fairly easy to put on...and is easy to take off.(which is what some people do when washing or waxing...I just leave it on and work around it) Be careful when installing though. I broke a little plastic fastner and the dealer wanted like $48 for a replacement kit.I ended up buying some fastners at Auto zone for a couple bucks...then drilling a hole in the fastening clip a bit wider. No more chips since installation. ;)
    Thanks jipster. I will probably order the bug shield tomorrow. I figured the front bra would be a pain to upkeep and I was worried about scratching the paint. I will be careful and try not to break any of the clips. ;)
  • neveragain1neveragain1 Member Posts: 11
    I am researching vans - Japanese to be precise. I am replacing an 01 Chev Venture - no need to ask why if you go on to the forum for those. Nightmare - almost paid for the vehicle twice with all the repairs in past 2 1/2 yrs since I bought it at two years of age!

So - for those who own 2002 Mazda MPV's - what do you think? I am looking at the LX or ES models. Please help me make up my mind - ASAP!!
    One common complaint about the 2002+ MPV's with the 3.0L engine seems to be the "hard shift", but a reflash of the TCM has helped in many cases. But there are still some people who say that it hasn't helped at all, and there have also been some reports of transmission failure. So you might want to get an extended warranty, at least on the power train, if you are considering a 2002.
    On the contrary, 2002's generally had impeccable transmission credentials.

It was the 2003-4 where the tranny programming was tweaked to try and improve mpg that suffered the problems.

Our 2002 LX has been trouble free in 41,000 miles.

We just replace the OEM Dunlops with Falken Ziev512's. These tires are # 1 CR rated, 95H weight, "H" speed and "A" temp and "A" traction with a 420 treadwear.

$59 at DiscountTireDirect. They are quiet and we like them and the price.

John
    Good to hear that your 2002 is not having any problems, but there are quite a few postings in other MPV forums which I am not allowed to mention here, about transmission issues on 2002+ models. The other issue that has been reported on those models is coil failures.
    of course I can't comment on the other folks...

At one point CR had a "black" high rating on the 2002 tranny and lower ratings on the 2003-4.

Not sure what it is now, I haven't checked in a while...

John
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    We currently have a Dodge Caravan with quad seating. We usually leave one of the seats out, which gives us lots of extra room and makes it easier to get in and out of.

Are either of the middle-row seats easily removable in the MPV? We'd probably look at a model new to 3 years old.
    Mine is a 2000, and the two middle seats are very easy to remove. They don't weigh all the much, either. I don't think the design has changed for the later models, so you should be fine with them. Of course the rear-most seat folds down flat into the recessed cargo area, opening up plenty of space in the rear.