Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    I hope that someone from Mazda is reading this...they have my perfect minivan for sale and I can't buy it.

I have owned Mazdas exclusively for the last 10 years, but at this exact moment, my next minivan looks to be a KIA. I can't even believe that I am saying that.

BUT...Kia is releasing the new Sedona in a short-wheelbase version. Their people are saying that this will be a "sporty" version. The same powerful 3.8 liter, firmer independent suspension, but nicely sized for parking and for those of us who don't want a mammoth.

The only van that could compare would be the latest MPV...hmmm...I can't buy that one!!!!!

It is a sad day when Kia is picking up the ZOOMZOOM mantra for an entire vehicle segment that Mazda has apparently abandoned.

Fortunately my current MPV will last me a few more years so Mazda has time to change their mind.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Yeah but if you go to the Kia web site and check out the new 2006 Sedona, you will find that the 3.8ltr 244HP engine requires PREMIUM UNLEADED. Unless this thing will get 30+ MPG city, your going to need Immodium to stop the flow of cash coming out your rear for gas.

Odie
  • gurneyhalleckgurneyhalleck Member Posts: 8
    Hey everybody, my wife and i have about $15,000 to spend and I see plenty of low mileage MPV's for sale all over California, usually being former short-term rentals/shuttles. I drove an MPV and LOVED the way it drove, thought the interior was sweet and generally wife and I adored it. Problem is, I'm not sure if the reliability is up to the old school Mazda I grew up with. So many Ford parts, Duratec motor/Ford Transmission, I read in Consumer Reports about bad trannys and other things. JD Power rated it really low in mechanical quality. How do you think the Mazda stands vs. Dodge Caravan, Kia Sedona? My dad has a 1996 Mazda MPV and that thing is bullet proof!! He's driven that thing over 110,000 and only replaced batteries and tires! Has the same brakes on it as from factory, everything! Timing belt had to be changed, obviously, but that rig is solid!! That being said, it had a REAL Mazda engine, not a Ford. What do you guys think?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    my '02 LX has been bullet proof for 42k miles.

Duratec supposedly one of Ford's best, proven longevity and track record.

Tranny is from Japan, aside from some software issues on some of the years, it has been a solid unit.

No complaints here. I might swap it for a Mazda 5 diesel in couple years, otherwise I will keep it for at least 10 years.

John
  • nlsnls Member Posts: 65
    My advice would be to buy an extended warranty so that you are covered in case of serious problems. The Gen 1 MPV's seem to be more rugged than the Gen 2 MPV's, with lower maintenance and repair costs.
    The 3.0ltr duratec engine that is found in the MPV / Escape / Tribute / Ranger / B2000 is a Mazda Built engine. I have an '01 Escape XLT with it and have not had any problems. The '06 MPV is one of a few vehicles my wife and I are looking at as replacements for growing family.

Odie
    The 3.0ltr duratec engine that is found in the MPV / Escape / Tribute / Ranger / B2000 is a Mazda Built engine.

I beg to differ. The base engine was sent over to Japan from Ford. Mazda did some control work to it. It would be a stretch to call it a Japanese product.

John
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    YES, you should buy a MPV. I did...and don't regret it one bit. About 14,000 miles on our 2004 and has been extremely reliable(knock on wood).

The only reason CR has downgraded the MPV from one of those most reliable, to not recommended, is because of the
    programming software issue with the trans. that was easily rectified. CR doesn't differentiate a mild software upgrade for the transmission to one that has the trans. falling out from beneath your vehilce. So, I wouldn't worry about that as it affected 2003 and early 2004 models.

The only Ford part I know about is the Duratec engine...one of their best. MPV is built in Japan...fit and finish, as well as overall quality, is outstanding in my opinion.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    John,
    I've noticed in a few of your postings, mentioning about the M5 DIESEL?
    Where did you get that for US?
    Just curious....coming from Diesel Land of Europe.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    you probably saw the Euro article then.

Last update was that it was coming to Canada.

Mazda US surveys are asking about whether people will be interested in it.

It is only my opinion, but the US diesel version seems a logical next step once the fuel gets cleaned up here.

An no, I don't work for Mazda or Ford or any car maker, I am just a normal guy.

John
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    Unfortunately, there is a huge misconception in the US, about the Diesel engines.
    I was recently in Austria and drove a manual 6 spd Diesel M6 wagon....it's a ZOOM-ZOOM come true!!!
    Diesel technology ( in Europe) is light years ahead of what Diesel engines represent on some US trucks.
    Or it could be ( according to other folks I spoke with)...a political issue of not encouraging Diesel for the US auto-market.
    Now grasp that....

Thanks for clarifying, John
    huge misconception in the US, about the Diesel engines.

It is changing though. Even Pres. Bush publicly stated that he wanted the clean diesels coming in.

It just makes sense, from a global perspective, to get the best technology in place. I think the emissions bug-a-boo will eventually get addressed. Then once we get a funtional modern diesel engine car available in all 50 states, the word will spread.

Mercedes (IIRC) is planning on being in all 50 this fall, with their Blu-tec engines and technology.

John
    Well my wife and I found a buyer for our Civic, selling it officially tomorrow and then we need to HURRY and buy a minivan!! I'm really worried about getting an MPV since my dad's mechanic (a local garage who works on foreign autos) told me he "quit working on MPV's." He said they're becoming tough to find parts for and less reliable. He said it wouldn't be a van he'd buy. And there is NO MAZDA DEALER in my town, closest is about 50 miles away. I'm worried that, since they're getting rid of the MPV and won't produce them in North America in 2007 that there will be a scarcity of parts. Also, worried about resale value taking a nose-dive because that's usually what happens when brands are dropped. In five years will people say, "Mazda M-P-what??" We have about $15,000 to spend and I REALLY LOVE THE MPV, drove great, fit and finish was sweet and it was overall awesome. I'm just worried about practicality here...
    Legitimate concerns, but $15,000 will put you in a very nice 2004 or 2005 MPV. If you get a 2004 make sure the built on date is after March...that is when Mazda corrected the transmission computer glitch problem. Which is the primary reason the MPV has fallen in reliability. In early 2004 the MPV was rated tied for most reliable minivan in Consumer Reports.

Don't know why you mechanic would have a problem finding parts. I believe every manufactuer is required by law to prodvide parts for any vehicle they sell for up to 3 to 5 years(?)after its discontinuance. It's not like the Mazda MPV's parts aren't used by other models and makes. The Ford Duratec engine is used in 4 or 5 other vehilces. Japanese trans. is widely used as well.

Resale? If you keep it 6 or 7 years resale won't matter much. The MPV will remain a cult favorite I believe. A true quality built "smaller" minivan that handles very well and doesn't ride like a bus. If any serious problems crop up you can drive 50 miles to the Mazda dealer...your local mechanic should be able to handle all the other stuff. Good luck gurney...you'll be fine because you have thought everything out. ;)

P.S I'm betting Mazda will bring back the all new MPV model in 2 or 3 years...ZOOOOOOOOMMMM ZOOOOOMMMM ZoooMMM
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    ....my dad's mechanic (a local garage who works on foreign autos) told me he "quit working on MPV's." He said they're becoming tough to find parts for and less reliable.....

I certainly understand the value of a quality local mechanic...but in this case your mechanic is wrong. If the MPV had something unusual like a rotary engine I would understand his concerns. (not everyone can work on a rotary)...the 3.0L V6 is found in quite a few other products. (tribute, escape, mariner, mazda6, fusion, milan, 500, montego, etc)...if parts were hard to find you would hear alot of noise from alot of people. Any Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealer can work on the MPV...Also MPV parts are NOT hard to get. If your thinking about an extended warranty, most Ford dealers will take a Mazda MEPP warranty since its backed by Ford.

....Also, worried about resale value taking a nose-dive because that's usually what happens when brands are dropped. In five years will people say, "Mazda M-P-what??"....

IF your like many van owners after 5 years of carting around kids and stuff there isnt much van left to worry about resale values.lol... Also, MPV are selling at substantial discounts compared to some other import vans...so even if resale value is less, it cost you alot less to buy the van...so your out of pocket expenses are similar.

Jipster has provided you with some great first hand information and as you have read on here...MPV owners seem to be a very happy bunch compared to other vans. If you feel the MPV is the perfect vehicle for you then buy it.
    Hey you guys made me feel a lot better. My gut has told me to go with the MPV. My dad ADORES his old 96 that is still driving like BRAND NEW at 120,000!!! I love the looks of the vehicle, the drivability, the interior, and trust Mazda. You guys gave me some good thoughts and input. I'm very glad I wrote in this forum! I'll let you all know how it comes out! I think the MPV will be our van. Thanks guys! ZZoommmm ZZoom.....
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    We've hit the 9 month mark for our MPV. Last month our family (me, my wife, our 2 kids and my parents) drove to Anaheim for a 6 day stay at Disneyland. Here's a couple thing I noticed on the trip.

First, the bad.
    1. This was the first time I wished we had a bigger van. This same group rented a Town and Country about a year ago for a week long trip in Orlando and had no problem fitting everything behind the 3 row. This trip we packed lighter, but still had to place luggage below our kids feet. Everything fit, but it was very tight.
    2. I thought the middle row seats were uncomfortable. They felt a little low, and I'm not a tall guy (5'8", with a 30" inseam).

The good.
    1. Power. Alot of folks seem to think the MPV is underpowered, but I never felt that way on this trip. I was a little worried about crossing over Siskyou Summit and the Grapevine, but the MPV did fine. While I wouldn't call it effortless, the MPV felt strong, never strained.

This is a nice driving car. Not like the 6 we test drove and almost bought, or even my wife's Passat, but not bad either.

One thing that is dissapointing is the mpg. My normal route to work (about 40% city and 60% freeway) is averaging right around 18 mpg. With it's EPA estimates, I was hoping for 20 mpg or better. And it's getting slightly worse as time goes on. (They do change the gas here in Portland in the winter, so maybe things will improve in the spring.) FWIW, our V8 Explorer averaged about 15 mpg for the same route.

I've also noticed a crunching sound that sounds like it's coming from the steering column or under the dash when I turn to the left.

Overall, it's been a terrific van. For us, the size is just fine 99% of the time. Being able to out to dinner with my folks and not having to take 2 cars is great.
    Too bad the MPV will soon RIP.

Vic
  • gat135gat135 Member Posts: 7
    I am interested in purchasing a MPV but I have concerns regarding a comment that was made by my mechanic. He had claimed that it took over 1 month to get a part to repair a Mazda. Is this true? Are the MPV's reliable and can they be repaired by any competent mechanic or only factory trained?
    I can tell you exactly what the crunching sound is (happened on my Escape), your nuts are not tight on the wheel. Alloys have a tendency to loosen over time and it causes a rub / crunch while turning. Just have your local dealer (service dept) check the lugs, they usually don't charge you for it, they just come out with a torque wrench and re-torque them. If it's not the lugs I would be worried it might be a front ti-rod or sway bar.

Hope this helps

Odie
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Is it official that Mazda is not bringing over the new 2007 MPV? I've seen the Mazda Japan link and that car is gorgeous. Bring it over with the same setup/dashboard/lazy boy captain chairs and 244hp engine and I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don't understand why they think the CX9 will be a suitable replacement. Isn't the price range for the upcoming CX9 starts in the 28-35K range? The great thing about the current MPV is that it is affordable and a compromise between a car and a Minivan. Mazda is making a bad decision. =(
    Yes, it is official Mazda is not bringing over the new 2007 MPV to the U.S. But, who knows what they will do in the future. I think in 2-4 years they will bring it back...probably name it after myself..."The Jipstermobile"

The small and midsize SUV market can't seat 7 as comfortable as a minivan. Only the monster SUV's...at $$$.
    So, a carlike minivan would be a good alternative between the big minis and suv's.
    Our list for replacements for the '01 Escape has officially change with some of the price changes (and wife's feelings towards vehicles).
    1. '06 Mazda MPV
    2. '06 Scion xB
    3. '06 Mazda 5
    4. '06 Saturn Vue (wife likes this one)
    5. '06 Pontiac Torrent

We are still sticking to the price cap of $28,000 and MPG is going to be a deciding factor.
    MPG's (price range);
    1. MPV - 18 cty / 22 hwy ($26k - $28k)
    2. xB - 30 cty / 34 hwy ($16k - $18k)
    3. Mazda 5 - 20 cty / 24 hwy ($19k - $20k)
    4. Vue - 19 cty / 25 hwy ($18k - $24k)
    5. Torrent 19 cty / 25 hwy ($24k - $26k)

I know most people look at the xB and go "Eeewwwww" but I did have a wrangler at one point so I'm use to driving a box on wheels, but the MPG is nice.

Odie
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    FWIW: MPV's go for far less than sticker, even the '06's. Typically $2.5k under invoice.

-Brian
    The xB gets 30 city? WOW. At $16k, you could almost get one for you and your wife on your budget. Or, just get one and not have to worry about gas prices for awhile.

The 2005's are going for a song these days. You could get a fully loaded ES for around 22.5. If you can find one you like with low miles. The 2005 is identical(save exterior color choices) to the 2006 model.

The 250hp Honda engine would be nice in the Vue.
  • tarnertarner Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are in the market for a Small Minivan or Midsize SUV as her lease on her 01 Rav 4 is ending. We have 2 kids, and would like a 3rd row... We have narrowed our options to:
    1. Highlander
    2. Rav 4 (the 06 is bigger than the last version)
    3. MPV
    We live in Arizona, and have almost no use for 4WD, but i would hate to buy a suv without 4wd for resale. The MPV came into the picture recently, and i really dont know too much about it.
    Questions:
    1. I have read many of the posts here, and there have been many positive comments. Do you guys have ANY problems/dislikes about the MPV.
    2. How is reliabilty?
    3. Pricing - i think i should be able to get below invoice - is that a fair statement???
    4. Anything in general i should know???
    Thanks for your help in advance!
    dan
    We love our MPV.

But we paid about $23.5k in 2002 for an LX.

Only problem is that resale is very low now since the new ones are so cheap. By all means get a new one, it is a bargain and a half for a great van.

John
    The '06 is the (confirmed) last model year for the MPV. It is being replaced by the CX-9 ($35k base) and the CX-7 ($29k base). I was told by my local Mazda dealer that I can order a '06 up until May 20th.

Odie
    We haven't had any problems with our 04 MPV(knock on wood). I think the MPV is perfect for 4 member families. A quality van made in Japan. Most stylish, sporty and attractive van on the market in my opinion.

Big discounts on the leftover 05's.$2,000 rebates and $500 off if finance thru Mazda on the 06's. So, you'll probably save about 4-6k over comparably equipped Highlander or Rav 4.

Some people complain about lack of side curtain airbags and vehilce stability control. Also navigation not available. So, if you "need" those things...then you probably won't care for the MPV. Good luck.
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    tarner,

Except for our one trip to SoCal a couple of months ago, the MPV is the perfect size for our family of 4.
    We also test drove the Highlander. My wife and I loved it. I'll admit, if it weren't for the huge rebates and discounts we got on the MPV last summer, we'd probably have got the Highlander.
    I still see ads for 05 MPVs in the paper. Sometimes up to $9K off MSRP. (We got ours $6K off last summer.) So yes, you should be able to get one below invoice right now. They probably won't have great resale in the future though, due to current rebates and the fact that it will be RIP after this model year.
    Just one last thing. Have you also considered the Mazda5? It's smaller than the MPV, but still holds six people. This was another car on my radar last summer, but they were not on the lots when our Explorer lease ended. I've heard the 3rd row is pretty tight, but I'd bet it's no worse than those in the Highlander and new RAV4.
    Good luck.

Vic
  • jstasakjstasak Member Posts: 8
    I an new to this board and was wondering what the experts here thought about a 2003 MPV ? What should I be looking out for ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance...
    This expert says go for it. I will have owned my 2004 MPV LX 2 years in July and we are very happy with how it has done.

The 2003 and very early 2004 had a transmission issue with "shift shock". The fix was having transmission control module reprogrammed at the dealership...which was a simple procedure. If you are buying at Mazda dealership I would have them check to make sure all warranty/TSB issues have been taken care of. Or, you could take the vans VIN number in to have it checked out. Try to find out as much as you can about its repair history.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just bought a 2002, which is about the same as a 2003. Love the handling (for a van) and the comfortable driver's seat. As with any used car, try to find out its maintenance history--see if you can talk to the original owner if you are buying from a dealer. Didn't Mazda's warranty go to 4/50k in 2003? So the van might still have some factory warranty left--that would be a big plus.
    I was told today that the MPV will be back for a 2008 model but is going to be remamed the Mazda8. They are taking a year off for redesign and update. Dealer also told me that price will be about the same as it stands now ($18k base - $32k loaded).

Odie
    Odie's Garage
    The 2007 MPV has already been redesigned and updated. It will not be available in U.S. in 2007.

Hope you are correct about it coming back in 2008.
    $18k base? The MPV today starts at about $23k, doesn't it? The Mazda5 starts at about $18k though.
    I was told the base model (starting @ $18k) will not have 3rd row seating and only have a 4 cyl. The dealer said there will be 5 trim levels. He also told me that the top end model will have full power folding seats that fold into floor (a'la Sto-N-Go), but the other models will have manual seats that fold. It will be interesting how it will turn out. He said the redesign will move away from the traditional Mini-van look to more towards the way the Mazda5 looks, just bigger. We will have to try and get some spyshots as time comes closer.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
    No need for spy shots...the all new Mazda MPV/Mazda 8 is already out. Just not here in U.S.

Per Mazda press release, "Mazda Motor Corporation has announced its plan to launch the all-new MPV in Hong Kong, where it will be named Mazda 8, in May 2006" It has already been released in Japan where it is still called the MPV. The artilce also stated that a decision to bring the Mazda 8 to other global markets hasn't been decided.

The Mazda MPV/Mazda 8 will have a 4cyl, but it will be turbo charged and produce around 240hp. I have read that it will have a lower profile/style like the Mazda5, but that it will have third row seats.
  • jgardnerjgardner Member Posts: 2
    My ES van has a vexing problem of pulling to the left at odd times of driving but usually after starting it from a several hour standstill or when turning left or right. It is still under warrenty and Mazda mechanics have replaced a steering rod, and realigned the front wheels. Just about when I think the problem has resolved itself, it resurfaces. Has anyone else had this problem and got it permanently resolved? Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? (For any aircraft pilots out there, when first driving the van after a standstill, if feels like taking off in an airplane and not applying rudder pressure to compensate for propeller torque.)
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Have you tried rotating the front tires to the opposite side to see if the pull goes right instead? Just wondering if it's a radial pull on the tire.

-Brian
  • jgardnerjgardner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick response.........I will try your suggestion..........If the vehicle HAS to pull one way or the other would much rather it pull to the right for safety's sake. Hope rotating the front tires to opposite side resolves my problem. But, again, it's only on certain occasions that the vehicle pulls to the left, such as cold engine and left or right turns, so have ruled out alignment as problem. But when it DOES happen, it really feels like an alignment problem. I have also found that steering is rather tight and uncorrecting, but have attributed this to this type of vehicle. I am accustomed to driving Buick Sentras, Chevy S-10s, and a Ford Aerostar, none of which had this type of steering problem. The Mazda steering feel is similar to driving a lawn tractor. Apart from this one basic problem, I have been very satisfied with the vehicle (particularly after engine light and quirky transmission problems were fixed by dealer).
    well after 4 years and 42k miles we have our first MPV problem. Keyless entry quit working all of a sudden. So I replaced the battery (correctly) and still nothing.

Manual says a bunch of vague things about being careful not to hit any of the buttons with the remote battery out, or else it may need to go back to the dealer for repair.

Obviously, if the remote battery is very dead then the buttons usually will get punched a bunch of times trying to get it to work.

So am I dooomed to the dealer, or does anyone have an idea?

John
    It might need reprogramming, and the instructions are available elsewhere but I cannot post the link on this site.
    Yes, once you replace the battery the remote must be reprogrammed.

Do a search (e.g. using the search engine that starts with "g") on "Mazda MPV remote reprogram". One of the links should take you to an eBay offer for reprogramming instructions for $3.95.
    nls,

How about e-mailing me the link?

Thanks,

John
    nls,

Nevermind, got it. Instructions follow:

Open drivers door and leave open.
    Lock and unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door.
    Insert key into the ignition.
    Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position)
    Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition
    Open and close the drivers door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step)
    ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.
    Press any button on remote #1. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.
    Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.
    When you're done, remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks.

Works fine now, took about 2 mins to do it. Other posters over at mazdaworld tried it on their 3 and their 6 and it worked for them too.

Now we have the scoop here at Edmunds, not even $3.95 needed! Thanks to all.

John
  • psimpsim Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I'm looking for a 2000 MAZDA MPV manual.
    If any body has one I can photocopy or scan it

TKS
    Because I don't have the 2000 MAZDA MPV manuals I don't how to find the SPARE TIRE in the car.

TKS
    Hello,
    Do you keep the 2000 MPV?

Thanks
    The spare tire is underneath the vehicle, below the middle row passenger side seat. Just in front of the seat, on the floor, there should be a cut in the carpet, and if you open that, you should see the screw to lower the spare tire. I assume that you have all the tools which came with the vehicle. If you need more detail, I will copy it from my manual.
  • carsx3carsx3 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a 2006 Mazda MPV. Consumer Reports states the transmission has a lot of problems. Can any 2006 owner advise me what their experience is with this vehicle? Thanks!