Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Even with my lead foot on the H6 2.7l 13 year old XT6, I get 19-20mpg in/around the city. On the highway I get 26mpg @ 77mph.

-mike

PS: I have an auto.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    mirth - The auto will be slower from a start because of a) waiting for the turbo to spool up and b) the delay of the torque converter. I believe there is an auto wagon owner here and he's happy. Break-in, a better flowing intake filter/exhaust will probably help with some of the lag. The auto will probably last longer unless you're doing brake stand launches.

You'd really have to get used to it and anticipate the delay in traffic. Once the turbo gets spooled up though, you are firmly planted into the seat with a big surge of power. :-) The rear seats only have a pass through.

Dennis
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    Drove my XT6 off a cliff last week. For a few moments it was actually accelerating faster than a new Ferrari. It also showed a new top speed of well over 200mph. Stopping distance was also exceptional. 240-0 in just 2 feet. (The depth of the crater.) I was getting no less than 10,000mpg too because it was coasting with the engine shut off before it went off the cliff.

That really showed me what a safe car it is too. I watched it fly all the way down from the top of the cliff. It didn't explode and none of the debris hit me. Safest car to to push of a cliff while unoccupied I've ever seen.

Anybody know where I can get some uses struts for an XT6? Mine are shot now. (Among other things.)

What does this have to do with the WRX forum? I don't know, but the names both have 3 characters, so I thought at least one person would find it interesting.
    If you weren't a new WRX owner, the new generation of subaru owners that doesn't care about history, you'd understand that the XT6 is a rare old subaru, that is extremely hard to get parts for. But the newer generations (yes there was in fact subaru performance cars before the WRX and before the RS) have the same front suspension components. A lot of WRX owners upgrade their suspensions, and I am looking for one of said owners who has their old stock OEM struts, springs and top-mounts laying around their garage and would be willing to sell/give them to me for my XT6. So come down off your high horse!

-mike
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    Lay off his XT6. I think he posted a couple of weeks ago that his XT6 recently dusted a grandmother driving a Toyota Camry.
    My XT6 would have dusted the Camry in the drive it off a cliff comparison test because of it's superior drag coefficient. It's one of the most aerodynamic cars of the late 80's. It put Chyrsler K cars to shame in it's day.
  • jackyl1974jackyl1974 Member Posts: 1
    Well, Lets just say this has been an interesting week. 2 weeks ago, I purchased a nice WRX wagon. I couldn't wait for the snow to fly to see if this thing was just as much of a treat to drive in the white stuff as it is on the dry twisty road. The Snow finally came here in ND yesterday. The WRX is absolutely horrible in the snow. Couldn't even pull itself up a gently incline with 3 inches of snow on it. It was pathetic. Driving down an unplowed road with about the same amount of snow on it proved to be suicidal. I've had Mustangs that handled the snow better than that. SO, after about 2,000 miles,, and one snow fall that left me utterly disgusted, I no longer have my WRX. I traded it in this morning for an X5. As for the question posted earlier by someone wanting to know how the WRX compares to a real sports car. What do you consider a "Real" Sports car? I have a 2000 Z3, a 1999 Z28, a 1995 Impala SS, and a 70 Chevelle with a LS6 engine. Does the WRX compare to any of these? Not a chance in hell. I've drivin the MR2's and they are nice cars. One of the best handling,, and well balanced cars. I think you will be disappointed with the WRX if you are comparing it to the MR2.
    Comparing the WRX to my above mentioned cars,,is like comparing a 1974 Gremlin to a Viper. If you haven't bought it yet,,, don't buy it. You'd be better off with a Real SUV and your MR2. Good Luck.
  • 1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    you picked a good one (the X5)..see this link

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/central2.cfm

I think it beat the Ford Escape's record

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Yikes! jackyl must have money to burn! It also appears that he owns half the cars in North Dakota (not that that would be hard to do). It's just too bad he didn't offer it to get rid of it here first, I for one would have gladly taken it off his hands.

-Frank P.
    Well, you have to look at people's opinions and weigh them for what you think they are worth. Maybe jackyl's normal winter vehicle is a hummer, in which case, I'm sure the WRX would be a let down, though I imagine and X5 would be too.

I think I'll keep my MR2 for another year. I can afford to keep it and the WRX. The WRX is already ordered and will replace my Civic. I know that AWD doesn't assure good snow handling, but I just can't see the WRX being as bad as jackyl says. I guess I'll get to try it for myself and see how it is. I don't expect to get beaten by many Mustangs when the snow flies though. It's hard to take that one seriously.
    Embarassed? Not at all. I wasn't driving any of those neons and civics that you beat. I am impressed though. If I were looking at getting a WRX, the autocross results of you and your XT6 would definately be the deciding factor.

Thanks
  • cjremshwacjremshwa Member Posts: 3
    I know Edmunds' says its 21977, but this dealer swears up and down it is 22502. I don't know where to check for the true answer! Can someone help? I'm trying to get a black WRX and I'm running into obstacles left and right.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    I agree, I don't believe that the WRX could be that bad in snow. If it is, tires are to blame since jackyl had trouble even going up a hill.
    1 of 2 things was happening there.

1) He was gunning it through the snow, spinning the tires all over the place, even awd will not work well if you are well into the turbo zone and not driving properly

2) The more likely item is the tires.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Chris- Did you include destination when you looked at Edmunds? There can also be variations in price from distributor to distributor. All you have to do is ask the dealer to show you his price.

Dennis
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Chris, the difference between your two numbers is $525.00, which is the freight charge. Maybe Edmund's number doesn't include the freight? You can bet the dealer's does :)
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    "I think this was asked before, but what's the auto trans like? If I got a WRX, it would have to be auto for my wife."

I am the Auto WRX Wagon owner, who is deliriously happy with the Auto WRX. There is noticeable turbo lag (which would be noticeable in a manual transmissioned car too !!), but that does not detract from the driving experience, since the power comes on strongly, once the lag is overcome, which is near instantaneous. Also, if you plan to "really step on it", then the Automatic transmission has got an in-built "Power mode", which would propel the car forward with authority (I tested it during my test drive at the dealership with a demo car), while holding the gear. The sophisticated VTD AWD system of the Auto, certainly comes in handy for handling finesse. Incidentally, no other Auto Subaru (with the exception of the VDC H6 Outback), has the VTD AWD system, since they (other Auto transmission equipped Subarus), generally have a 90/10 Front/Back split in the power, unlike the 45/55 front/back split of the WRX Auto. Gives a slightly rear-wheel drive performance driving feel.

The handling of the car is GREAT and I love it. As for yourself, I would suggest that you take a test drive at a dealership and decide for yourself if you like it. Preferably, take it on a long drive in various road conditions.

Later...AH (Platinum Silver WRX Wagon owner - 555 miles)

PS: Incidentally, I also own a Torquey, refined and powerful Acura 3.2TL with the kick-[non-permissible content removed] DVD Navigation, which is slowly becoming my wife's car. :-)
    Have come a long way. I live in NYC and have always driven ATs. If you are a good driver, you can get an AT to handle very well. MTs are true sports cars, but the benefits an AT provide outweights the slight disadvantages. You'll be happy with an AT or an MT.

PS: I finally drove an AT WRX that is broken in. Very different than the Green one I drove the first week they arrived from japan.

-mike
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Thanks hunter. I did an inventory search of all my local dealers. Out of about 25 WRX's (sedan or wagon), only about 5 were autos. Guess Subaru knows its target audience. ;-)
  • freespecfreespec Member Posts: 25
    Other japanese performance sedans are catching up! See yourself in Tokyo Auto Show. WRX can be said performance oriented but no luxry making customers like me annoyed. Wait for 2002 or 2003! In between enjoy your WRX because its envoyed days will be soon gone.

I saw the other day a ponk driving a WRX with 17" wheels on and it did look very nice. But for $28K spent on WRX, that ponk was starving because I saw him chewing a tarred Hamburg in a evening tinner time.
  • gogolgogol Member Posts: 2
    thinking of buying a WRX wagon, in snow country. Any opinions (I've seen the N.D. posting) on how the stock tires SHOULD perform in snow. Alternative tires? thanks
    When someone posts that an AWD wagon with all season radials doesn't handle as well as a Mustang in the snow, I think you have to take it with a grain of salt.

The new Outback sport wears the exact same tires I think. I wonder if Subaru has been using them for a while. Maybe someone with another Subaru model with the same tires has been through a few winters and can shed some light on what to expect.
  • taos2taos2 Member Posts: 31
    I called Bridgestone and asked about the
    WRX stock Potenzas snow performance and got
    a lukewarm "they'll probably be OK". Was
    planning to just wait and find out for myself but now I wonder. I've been reading about Nokian
    NRW all seasons being a great true all season
    performance tire. Anyone have any first hand
    experience?

I was lucky enough to break my wagon in by putting
    1100 miles on it in 4 days. I then did the first
    oil change with Red Line Synthetic. The engine
    sound seemed immediately smoother and the performance increasingly enhanced every day. I
    just got back from another 850 mile trip through
    the mountains and the car just keeps getting
    better and better. I've now got 3200 miles on
    my SKIREX and think I did the right thing.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wait a sec, I've owned a Mustang. That thing was a little too "exciting" in the snow, if you know what I mean. I'd park it and drive my dad's Olds Custom Cruiser wagon, which actually gave me some traction to work with.

Both stink in snow next to my current ride, a Forester. My Miata is pretty useless in the snow, too.

-juice
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Forget the XT6, give me an old dual-range wagon with a turbo 2.2L big-bore kit, some suspension tweaking by Scorpion and some skid plates! Then I'll show those young WRX owners what Soobie history is all about!

A 1995 $3000 Neon ACR can beat a WRX on most autocross courses. Doesn't mean I would choose it over the WRX.

And what is this about a WRX being poor in snow?

Saw a nice blue WRX wagon outside of Harvard Square today, still liking silver better methinks...

-B

-B
    Was because when I asked if anyone had front suspension parts from their Rex, I was met with a sarcasic Hondah-like response from a young cocky WRX owner...

-mike
  • ryzmoneryzmone Member Posts: 1
    I LIVE IN THE BOSTON AREA WAS WONDERING IF THERES ANY ONE OUT THERE WOULD BE ABLE TO RECOMMEND A DECENT DEALER WITH FAIR PRICES ON THE WRX IM NOT INTERESTED IN ANY OF THE OPTIONS BUT THE SPOILER. ALSO IS THERE ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO SHARE HOW MUCH THERE BOTTOM LINE PRICE WAS THAT WOULD BE GREAT. AFTER LONG HOURS OF COMPARISONS I FINALLY NARROWED IT DOWN TO THE WRX OR THE NEW ALTIMA.
    #3360 of 3378 I didn't want to embarass you but... by paisan Oct 25, 2001 (11:45 am)

Here are the results...

NASA Auto-x, 2nd in class

http://www.nasanortheast.net/results/NASA-Autox8-9-29-01.htm

SCCA Auto-x Event #5 2nd place car in GStock, Event #6 2nd place car car in Gstock, Event #7 2nd place, All 3 times ahead of all but 1 WRX in class.

http://www.mohud-scca.org/Solo/2001/2001Season.html

Palisades auto-x, 2nd in G-stock, fastest subaru ahead of many WRXs and RSs

http://www.wscc.org/results/2001/ax20011021.htm

It's a shame you guys have the same attitude of the Honda crowd of wannabe racers we thought subaru people were above.

-mike

• twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    I have trouble with the ND post from jackyl about the WRX and the snow. Would not go through "3" of snow." There is no way I can believe that. I have a WRX wagon with the stock RE 92's. My wife has a '98 RS with the RE 92 tires and .5 inches less ground clearance than the WRX. In Feb. of 98 we got one of our rare 12" snowfalls here in Southern Indiana. Her RS made it through unplowed roads and unplowed driveways. So believe whoever you will.

TWRX
  • strider98strider98 Member Posts: 89
    I just had to chime in on this one. If jackyl bought a WRX, had it for a short time(had to b/c it's only been out 6mos.) and traded it in on an X5, then he was only trying to fill in the gap before he got an X5 anyway. Smacks a little of Bimmer snootiness, methinks. Doesn't seem to me that he was thinking too much about quality control either, just prestige...
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Anyone have suggestions for all season tires for my 1993 Sentra SE-R? The car has slighly over 140 horsepower and only weighs 2600 pounds so it's terrible in the snow/rain. I'd like to get a performance tire with decent all weather capabilities without paying top dollar. It has to get me through the winter and into next year, when, hopefully, I'll be able to replace it with an STI.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I'd like to see this discussion continue, and others to post their own experience with the WRX in snow.

Is it possible jackyl had the 17 inch ultra-wide low profile performance tires? They'd be worse than the 16" All Seasons for sure.

I'm seriously considering the WRX, when I get rid of my 95 Mazda Protege DX (its given me great service for 2 years, can only hope the replacement is 90% as good!) next spring.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Ya, If he had the RE730's or whichever summer tire that comes with the wheel upgrade, that would really suck in snow...

My cousin has an 02 RS, and he drove through 5 inches of snow and it was nothing. He was absolutly amazed at the car! Ive seen plunty of videos of Imprezas in the snow to know that its a great snow car, RE92's or snowtires alike. Ive driven my car on a beach, and was amazed at how well it tracked and I am specifically planning on taking my car up to the snow this winter just to check it out :D
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    There were a lot of complaints about the Audi S4 being terrible in snow but it was always due to the 17" summer tires. With winter performance tires, or even good all seasons, it is fine and I'd certainly expect the same thing for the WRX.

With the S4, I switched back and forth between Dunlop SP9000s and Dunlop Winter Sport M2s but, frankly, there are a lot of "in between" months in upstate NY where neither a dedicated summer nor winter tire will be optimal.

The way I see it, no matter what you do, you have to compromise and it's not worth the hassle and expense of switching back and forth, especially if you drive an AWD car.

The WRX wagon will simply use 16" Dunlop SP5000s all year round on the stock rims. I'm satisfied with them after 3500 miles. The SP5000 gets very good reviews for snow performance and they don't cost very much. I'm running 35 psi front and 32 psi rear and that works pretty well for handling vs. ride comfort.
    Those X5s are red hot. Burst into flames hot. Numerous recalls hot.

Maybe BMW should team up with Subaru to obtain super high tech goodies. Like a working thermostat! :P

The WRX has more than 6" of clearance. The Audi A4 has only 4". So even with Quattro, the Subie has the edge.

Also, my wife's 626 V6 had RE92s and about 5" of clearance, and the FWD made it through more than 3". That's FWD, open front differential, so really it's 1WD at times, and I made it. It wasn't good in the snow, but you could make it.

Any one with a hint of driving skill could easily navigate a few inches of snow with a WRX (AWD and rear LSD with 6" of clearance).

-juice
  • simusimu Member Posts: 1
    The snow handling of the WRX was my biggest concern before my purchase. I live in the Rocky Mountains where there is no shortage of snow, but also the roads are very well maintained. My previous car was an Outback. Apparently the Subby rep visited the Rocky Mountain dealers last spring after a big dump, and scared the snot out of everyone by doing 75 in a stock Rex on snow packed roads during test drives.

I'll report back after a few more storms, but I've decided to go with Blizzak LM22's as a dedicated winter tire. The tread seemed to be the best for pushing away snow, where tires like the Pilot Alpin or Winter Sport are better for ice (which we don't see much of at 8,000 ft.)

We all know, it's the driver. With AWD and H-rated snow tires on the Rex wagon, I'm looking forward to a white Christmas, Halloween, Easter... heck, even 4th of July here. It's the tourists in the rented Ford Excursion's us locals worry about.

BTW, this is my first post, but I've been following along for about 6 months. Thanks to everyone for their advice and constructive criticism, it was tough to give up the bomber Outback, but I still have my AWD, still have a wagon, but have added FUN to the package.
  • celcamcelcam Member Posts: 9
    I have been reading comments on the WRX vs. the RS on another board, and I was hoping people could help me with a question. I don't have the money to jump up to the WRX, but I want the AWD. Is the RS model really much worse than the WRX in handling and roll and such? If anyone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Is the RS worth 18-19k? Thanks so much.
    Actually the RS should handle just about the same. You're giving up high end power, but not much else.

-juice
  • celcamcelcam Member Posts: 9
    That is what I was hoping, but I read that reviews on the RS state it doesn't handle as well and tends to roll too much...I hope this is not the case. Of course I have to test drive it, but I wanted people's opinions first. Thanks
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    The Blizzak LM-22 is a performance winter tire and the MZ-01 is dedicated to more snow/ice than the LM but w/o any studs like a studded winter tire. The MZ will be better in compact snow and ice and the LM will be better (handling) in dry situations. They are both available in the std WRX size: 205/55x16. The price on Tirerack for the LM is $116 ea and the MZ is $102.

The Michelin Pilot Alpin is the all around performance winter tire and is available in the stock WRX size. The Michelin Artic Alpin is the dedicated winter tire but I did not see it available in the WRX size.

Just wanted to clarify that the models you listed are winter tires just not as good in snow/ice as the additional ones I listed.

Stephen
    don't get the RS... get the XT6. That is the best Subaru ever made, and faster than any other car on earth. Ask Paisan - I think he once beat a Grandmother in a Geo Metro in a stoplight race with his XT6.
  • 1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    it was funny only the first time...now it is stale
    The guy has autocross results to back up his claims, so what gives?

-juice
  • wrxguywrxguy Member Posts: 51
    talking some mean doo-doo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The WRX has won top honors in the "Sport Sedan -- under $30,000" category. Follow the link on the left sidebar of this page to read the story.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Just yanking his chain. He sure is in love with that XT6 though.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    if the WRX sedan wins best sports sedan under $30k than does it translate that the WRX wagon is the best sportswagon under $30k? :-) BTW, I know the answer as do most WRX wagon owners, LOL.

Stephen
    Anyone seen the Protege5 wagon? That car sure looks nice... but at 130 HP, it has no guts. I'd love to put the WRX engine in the Protege5 body.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    How true! That would be an ideal combo, indeed.

However that car already handles incredibly well (better than the Impreza TS Wagon, AWD notwithstanding!) IMHO. And the engine is sweet, if a mite underpowered.

The MP3 (which spanked all competitiors in a recent (albeit limited) handling comparison, including the WRX, in autoweek, I think) will return in a year as an MPS (Mazda Performance Series) with an engine that whistles (Mazda's 2 litre turbocharged engine?) and should be pretty interesting. Especially if they decide to put that engine into a P5 body, or give us the engine the Familia Sport 20 (what the Protege 5 is caled in other parts of the world) has - 165 or so HP.

Hopefully they'll do away with the love-it/hate-it MP3 music system for something better looking/easier to use!
    I'd seriously consider getting a Protege5 if I didn't worry about getting killed trying to merge onto the freeway with that wimpy engine. Just slap a turbo on that pup, and we're in biz. Or better yet, put in a six, and supercharge it :)
This discussion has been closed.