Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• ottosottos Member Posts: 80
    Consumers Reports has a bunch of reliability ratings. The ratings for the Impreza are still relevant because the 2002 car is not that much different that the previous year.

Plus, previous model years sold well in Japan, Europe and the rest of the world, so that is worth something. It is also good to know that the EJ20 engine is highly developed by racing and customer use, so all important bugs have very likely been worked out. So even moderate upgrades (extra 20% in power) probably won't decrease reliability significantly.

I agree with few luxuries. As long as the car is quieter than my crap (but trustworthy) truck, I'll be satisfied. With cloth seats, I'll be in the lap of luxury. In my parents' BMW, I realized that trip computers, power seats, and sunroofs become boring. I also realized in my truck that it is more important that major items like heater, A/C, wipers, and gauges work reliably after many years. The seats should also be durable.
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    except reliability. Subaru has a higher reliability rating than either BMW or Audi. Additionally, replacement items that are either not covered under warranty or out-of-warranty are significantly more expensive than Subaru. I agree that luxuries are nice but what is more important to me (next to fun-to-drive, of course) is reliability and cost of maintenance. I used to, but no longer allow the BMW mystique and, to a lessor extent Audi mystique, rose color my viewpoint. I'm certainly not insinuating that you are doing this but for a lot of folks this seems to be the case, expecially when considering BMW's. Really, Audi's and BMW's are fine automobiles but at what "price". When I weigh all the factors, I can't justify the ownership of either at this point in my life, especially with great alternatives such as the WRX.

Stephen
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    It's rather interesting to me that in checking out the various town forums, it seems everyone wants to compare with BMW 3/5 series on on the small/mid size sport sedans (or Nissan Maxima on the affordable mid size sport sedan). Even the topic titles bear this out.

It's a testimonial to these cars that they are the standards everyone else seems to be chasing. It comes with being on the top consistently for a long period of time.

However, with all due respect, comparing a Subaru to a BMW from a historical perspective is pretty absurd. Allen Iverson may be the NBA All Star of the moment, but given his history, he's not likely to replace Michael Jordon on the Wheaties box or as a role model for kids (I want to be like Allen????).

Subaru apparantly has come a long way over the past fifteen years years from when my friends were anxious to dump their "Burros" in favor of real cars. Congratulations are well deserved. However, the comparison to BMW will, for me, take another couple of decades to be justified.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    If the Seat is comfortable, and the Steering wheel feels like butter in your hands, than thats all the the "Luxury" required for ANYONE in reality. Everything else is just Visual luxury and gadget luxury, it its never in use.

And the IS300 isnt luxurious IMO, its got a hard plastic dash and console with fake silver highlights (Same as the WRX, exept the WRX dash is soft to the touch). The Gages are fancy looking, but rather non-functional and hard to see. The radio and climate area is fancy as well, but that just makes it hard to operate... Blank out the gages and the center console area with the radio and other controls, and its hard to tell them apart.

Remember, the IS300 is more of a top-of-the line Toyota than a bottom of the line Lexus (And its sold as a Toyota in the rest of the world to boot)
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I agree the comparison between Impreza and BMW is quite irrelevant in many people's mind. Go and ask around to people who know nothing about cars except for their prices. They all say, "What? BMW and Subaru? Are you nuts?". But for those people who know how to enjoy cars more than lether seats and wood trim, it is very natural to compare 330 and WRX. In Europe and Japan, WRX and STI are very highly regarded. When car magagines in Japan compare sport sedans, they have to omit WRX and EVO even before they start the comparison, simply because cost-performance can not be in the same league.

WRX has terrific chasis, engine, suspension, and handling. It is one of the cars in the market which is most highly decorated with motor sports trophies. It has everything and is proven, but it does not have pedigree of luxury. Now, if an experienced tester says "330 still has an edge in steering and handling" or something, I respect that kind of opinion. I really want to know how "car and driver" will judge WRX.

I guess What I want to say is 330-WRX comparison is quite relevant from the point of view of driving pleasure. But it is quite irrelevant, if you think price and pedegree are important and if you think a car is a piece of furniture.

I own 2000 Jetta VR6 and 1997 Impreza. Jetta's interior/exterior quality is so nice and it's no comparison with Impreza's cheat toy-like interior finish. Now I am approaching 40 years and start to like indulging myself in such a nice interior. This is Jetta-Impreza comparison. So, I agree 330-Impreza comparison IS absurd in that respect. If you can afford, go for 330. But if you are young or a driving enthusiast, WRX-330 comparison is valid, although you must forget about car price in one hand and luxurious interior in the other hand.

4 years from now, I will get rid of my Jetta VR6. If 330 and WRX are still in the market, I will seriously compare them. No doubt. $35K 330 is a little stretch but I can get a highly praised car with gorgous interior/exterior and a normal aspiration engine, and I will be envied (or maybe a bit dingerous in Baltimore). $25K WRX is perfectly within my budget and I can enjoy its driving ability everyday. So, here is at least one guy, who will actually compare the two :).
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think WRX customers would be better served if Subaru had decided not to use a MOMO steering wheel, or offer BBS wheels as an option. Why? Because you're going to pay a lot extra to have those "Designer" labels applied to your vehicle.

I've sat in the new WRX, and while the MOMO steering wheel is nice, it's, IMHO, no better than a steering wheel that Subaru could have designed in house. It's waste of money, as far as I'm concerned.

As for the 17" BBS wheels—$3K just for the wheels, sans tires—is nothing short of highway robbery (pun intended!). With tires, you're probably in the neighborhood of $3.6K. That's crazy!

Again, Subaru has some great 17" in-house rims/tires that are "standard" on overseas WRXs. I doubt they add $3.6K (U.S. $ equivalent) to the cost of the vehicle.

I'd be surprised if SOA sells many of those 17" rims. It's a shame, really.

Bob
    It's indeed insane, but you must understand Japanese tendancy to worship brands. Steering must be MOMO, wheel BBS, rubber Pirreri, and sheat Recaro. It's stupid and they must study more about American market where people do not care about brands that much.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    of Subaru, but that's fairly recent. In fact, ten years ago they were still known as fwd "rust buckets." Most in the U.S. have no significant awareness of rally championships, but they still recall the rust and the econobox styling. It'll be awhile. If the company -- as opposed to just the posters on this board -- is seriously interested in competing in the public eye w/ long time prestige marques, it'll take awhile and a lot more than just one model. I have a Forester and while I love it I would never make a comparision between it and an AllRoad or an X-5 w/o winking. The WRX may be real good -- let's see what the posts are like on this board 9 or 10 months after it appears -- but it's going to take more than speed and "interesting" headlights to compete w/ prestige brands, if that's really an issue. (To me it's not.)

One advantage of a Subaru over the Audi and BMW that I haven't seen mentioned is that parts are available and generally don't require a second mortgage. That's really good (and important to me). But it's not very prestigious.

Take care.
    Joe W>
    I agree with you, but there is one thing I want to say. WRX has been around in Japan and Europe for a while and it has already built up prestige out there. It is not an untested, unknown newcomer.

Also, WRX is not "just one model". Subaru has high-output twin-turbo Legacy for 10 years, which has been ranked as one of #1s in the Japanese market where you can find a number of insane domestic sport sedans.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    How long was the Datsun PL510 compared to the BMW?
    I have been in the (Toyota) car-biz for 2 decades. Many times I saw the two compared, and having owned both at one time or another (a beemer and an old 510), it's amazing what folks will compare, car to car. Really.

Dianne
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    silverjetta, but I wasn't talking about reality (Remember: I'm a fan!). I was talking about perception. And not in Japan. In the US. Sorry. People here on the board, and who buy Subarus, are far ahead of most buyers who would as soon compare a Kia with a BMW as a Subaru with a BMW. Not for quite awhile.

Take care.
    Joe W>
    The March issue of Automobile magazine has an interesting "comparison" between the WRX and the AWD Porsche 911.

Even though you could buy 3 WRXs for the price of the 911, there are some very valid comparisons: in engineering, in corporate philosophy, and in (the bottom line) driving satisfaction. It's an interesting read.

Bob
    I guess you are right. It's hard to change people's perception once it's fixed. By the way, rsholland, what was the conclusion of the Porshe-WRX comparison? I though it was a little bit of a strech...
    Certainly not your everyday comparo, and it's very doubtful you will ever see a 911 customer ever cross-shopping a WRX. But that wasn't the point.

The point(s) are: that, besides sharing a boxer and AWD format; Subaru engineers, early on, were strongly influenced by Porsche engineers; and, that for most driving, they both offer similar levels of satisfaction.

By the numbers, the Porsche is the faster car. You would expect that. What I didn't expect was, that according to the folks at Automobile, a WRX is just as much fun to drive as the AWD 911.

Bob
  • dellwelldellwell Member Posts: 27
    The MSRP is $24000, but what are the options going to be and for how much?

I am in the market for a new car and the more I read about it, the better it sounds!!!
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    actually the steering wheel and the shifter knob and skirt are MOMO products. There just wasn't a label there. But it's MOMO. Just rip the RS leather stiched steering wheel out and look inside. heheheh
    Do not compare the interiors of the current generation Impreza to the likes of Audi or BMW or even a VW. The Impreza is plasticky and crappy. However the new age design is very good. I just sat inside a WRX today at the Toronto autoshow and am very impressed with the seats. It is on par if not even better than the seats that is in our 330Ci at home. sans the heated treatment. Actually the Canadian WRX all have heated front seats....
    The interiors are beefed up. Much better than the current gen interior dash boards. Still no where the likes of bmws or audis. You are paying for the interiors pretty much. So nice.... i really dig the baseball glove motif interior of the TTs. Anyone know where TTs are made?
    Those BBS wheels are some of the best wheels money can buy. But, I totally agree, $3000 for the set WITHOUT tires is insane for a dealer to ask! But, then again, those are slightly smaller versions of the wheels that the WRX STi 22b has, with the same build quality to boot.
    The MOMO wheel on the other hand, is VERY nice to see! What other cars have Momo wheels? Ferrari... Thats it :)

Oh, and here are some quotes from the Automobile Mag comparo between the WRX and the 911:

"This car is as close to the old Porsche 944 Turbo as you'll find today"

"Funnily enough, the 911 used to be like this. It was a car you had to learn to control, a car that rewarded good execution... ...Now, the Porsche 911 is too harried by insurance companies to leave its raffishness exposed, but it, like the WRX, retains the short wheelbase that, to the trained eye, means power oversteer."

"The Subaru WRX engine is best thought of as two-thirds of a Porsche 956/962 engine."

"...In many important ways, these cars are bound together- by the rallying heritage of their all-wheel-drive hardware, by their boxer engines, by there emphasis on handling, and, finally, by their ability to blend refinement with the kind of performance that drains the blood out of your brain."

(I like this one) "And if your a rally enthusiast or a PlayStation-ist (Gran Turismo reference), its fair to say that the WRX holds as much allure as the 911, despite being nearly $50,000 cheaper."

"If the 911 wears its age on its sleeve, so does the WRX. The Subaru is as light as the 911 is hefty, as impetous as the Porsche is stable, and as explosive as the 911 is measured. Nevertheless, if you really examine the cars back-to-back, the WRX reveals itself to simply be a less polished version of the 911. The WRX is not quite as refined, not quite as quient, not quite as developed, but both cars have the same tactile directness born of the same engineering solutions. In fact, its uncanny how much these cars have in common."

"In terms of ride, the WRX and the 911 strike an almost identical ballance of soft wheel impacts and stiff, well-controlled body movements... ...These cars dont just read the road, they subject it to strict freudian analysis."

"In handling too, both cars take the same tack. The 911 and the WRX are set up for mild initial understeer that segues to a neutral phase, then, finally, to oversteer... ... a WRX slide can be adjusted with careful applications of the throttle, an overeager foot prompts the notorious Swedish Flick of rallying legend."

"The WRX and the 911 are not compeditors, really, but they're very definatly in the same league."

Sorry prestige fans... But for the price of the 330 or X-type or IS300, I could get a WRX, put on those BBS rims, the STi Suspension package, the STi exhaust, a chip upgrade, air filter upgrade, maybe one or two more mods, and I'd eat up anything less than an M3 for lunch :)

Leather and fancy cupholders just isnt worth that much guys... Sorry
    Yes, the MOMO wheel is nice, but it's no better than something Subaru couldn't have done in house.

As for the 17" BBS wheels, Subaru offers a standard some very nice 17" rims as standard on all WRXs sold overseas. Why couldn't (shouldn't) we get those too? So the base price would be a little higher, but at least you wouldn't be paying $3.6K, as you would now.

I sometimes wonder what Subaru is thinking when they make marketing decisions. There are no rear cupholders. A moonroof is not available, even as an option. The WRX should have the 6-speed from the STi, not the current 5-speed. There are no heated seats on U.S. models. Yet... they offer this incredibly expensive BBS wheel option!

They obviously cut some corners to keep costs down, yet on the other hand, they expect customers to cough up huge sums of money for items that shouldn't be that expensive. It just doesn't make sense.

Bob
    I don't understand why the sedan and wagon don't share the same has a wider track (and blistered fenders). The "official" justification that I've heard from SOJ, is that the wagon didn't look good with the blistered fenders (or wide track??).

That answer just doesn't wash. Why, on a price-sensitive vehicle like the Impreza, would you design two different sets of fenders, and two different suspensions? Subaru, over the years, has often made some excellent/smart "production" decisions. This, however is not one of them.

Bob
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    rsholland
    Regarding the moonroof, Subaru has crossbeam reinforcements in the roof where a moonroof would go. It is a tradeoff. You get a 250 percent rigidity increase which translates to better handling, but obviously you lose what many of us (myself included) like as an option.
    unoffically, that a moonroof might be in the works for next year.

Bob
  • winterhammerwinterhammer Member Posts: 1
    Forgive me if i sound like an idiot.....

Almost everywhere I've read, the engine below 3K rpm is "dead". In my current car (240sx), I change gears in the mid 3K-4K range. What would be the optimal range to change the gears in this car (under NORMAL driving)....thankx in advance
    I think you made a very good point, which is also little bit related to the comparison to BMW too. I am not sure but you may not change your driving pattern in commuting, which may occupy 90% of your driving time. Hmmmm. Now I am enjoying Jetta VR6's nice power zone in 1500 - 4000 range, which hits really a sweet spot for everyday's use. WRX has its root in motor sports, in which people seldom use below 5000. No matter how hard Subaru tried, I think they could not hide its nature completely. I once owned a car with extremely responsive and high-rpm engine, which beckoned me to rev higher and higher. It was so fun and I was using high rpm almost meaninglessly. I am not sure that becasue I was young. These days, I start to think that might be too tiring.... I wanna know how other guys in this forum think.
    I hate those dealers... Have one here at the Automall in Roseville, California. They dont know jack... Meanwhile, i've got 3 other dealers I go to that I like, and know what theyre talking about... one of them hasnt even sold all of their initial shipment yet.

Go somewhere else, somewhere more isolated and less high-pressure who knows what theyre doing. Try Irvine, they might be ok... But they have a longer list.

PS, I dont know what you need to do about signing, but from what ive heard, you dont...
  • patchin1patchin1 Member Posts: 9
    Those people don't know crap about the car they sell. That's my impression from my one-time visit 3 months ago. You should not sign anything or have anything to do with them. Get the check back asap.
    If you are in Culver City you might as well drive to Santa Monica Subaru. I visited there a few months ago before I moved away from LA. Although I didn't buy or negotiate with them. The sales rep (Abe?) is very courteous and fairly knowledgable about the car. Normal disclaimer applies: I have no affliation with any car dealer any where whatsoever.
    One dealer around where I live now is taking $100 deposit refundable deposit for WRX at slightly below MSRP. No contract required for this. The other one is asking $3000+ ABOVE MSRP. Guess whom I wrote my check to?
  • wrxanswerswrxanswers Member Posts: 21
    1st, I am a dealer, and no I don't have all the answers, just some and some tips. 2nd, Subaru requires a copy of a check or a receipt left for a deposit to build a car, not a signed contract. However whether it is refundable is up to the dealer. Most will not be, here is the reason. To stop dealers from ordering cars that have not been allocated. If you (dealer) do not deliver the car to the person that left the deposit that the car was built for, Subaru gives the dealer a point. After 3 points in a year period there is problems for the dealer. Do not sign a contract to order a car. However if you order it you should buy it. That is only fair to the dealer. DO NOT pay over MSRP. MSRP is a fair price but most will give you some kind of discount. Some of you think that MSRP should be negotiated, but how many of you negotiate when you buy clothes, or food or something for say at Wal-Mart? Not saying that you shouldn't negotiate MSRP, but don't say bad things about a dealer who wants MSRP, when you don't have the guts to ask for a dicount at your local clothing store. Fair price for the consumer and the dealer is 3 to 5% over invoice. That will depend on the car and the supply verse demand. You might pay a little more than 5% for something like the WRX. For those of you who are saying I bet he does not ask for a discount at his local clothing store, YOU ARE WRONG. People do it to me and I do it to them. About the only place you can't get a discount is at a restuarant and a food store. I get discounts on my clothes, at hotels, for car rentals, and many other things. Good luck shoping for your car. Remember it should be fun. If your dealer does not make it that way, go elsewhere!!!! It is worth a drive not to get screwed and to have a good experience buying a car of any kind.
  • doctornursedoctornurse Member Posts: 1
    Needles to say I am a fellow WRX-junkie, and am sooooo excited about this car I can't stant it!! I had a few questions for the group...

Does anyone know if an Aero kit will be available for the wagon?

Is it confirmed that even with the 1 in narrower track that the 17's will fit the wagon? (Not the SOA BBS rims mind you, but maybe some nice rims I could get from the Tire rack or something like that)

You guys recommend premium gas for this rig??

Is this not the coolest car in the world?? :) I mean 113 hp/l, awd, Bimmer busting power.....I am just so durned excited!! Great community here guys, Best of luck to all of you waiting for your chariots!

Thanks for the input

DoctorNurse
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    Many employees at clothes stores are teenagers making minimum wage who do not have the flexibility to negotiate prices with customers. I used to work in retail so I know this is true. If someone were to slip a customer a discount it could be considered "stealing". I remember a time when you could negotiate with the sales people at Sears, but this doesn't seem possible either as I've tried it a few times.

The auto industry is driven more by supply and demand than the clothing industry. You don't see everyone rushing out at once to buy a new knit Polo shirt.
    I was wondering if there is anyone else in Canada who is going to buy one of these dreamboats and how they are going about it? I have talked to my local dealer and they do not know much about the car or when they will have one if any. Local dealer is small and there is not a bigger one within a 4 hour drive. How can I go about getting one without having to wait well into the summer or fall? I need a car soon as the one I am driving is about to fall over and stay that way!! I want this car but I don't know if I will be able to wait the time it is looking like it will take. Any ideas????
  • ottosottos Member Posts: 80
    Would it be possible to buy the car here? We have plenty. I recommend Ann Arbor Subaru if you want to buy from a place around Detroit.
  • sshinsshin Member Posts: 10
    I still think it's curious that the official WRX site compares the WRX directly with BMW and Audi. In even a small way, it's a marketing campaign. Also, has anyone seen any TV ads yet?

And if you think about wagon brands for example, Subaru is the only true Japanese premium wagon importer into the US. There is no Camry Wagon, Altima Wagon, Accord Wagon, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, etc (except Suzuki). The same for the sedan, there is no 25K awd Japanese compact sports sedan with 200+ hp. So in order to compare to other imports, they chose Audi and BMW. I think this comparison is fairly valid. The only problem I have is size. Both the sedan and wagon are considered sub-compact (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and are smaller than the 325ix and Audi A4 Quattro.

I have to see the car in person before I make a deposit, so I guess it's wait and see.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    ...seem to be the next big thing again...

Sport wagons are proliferating....I noticed a new Protege wagon, an new IS300 wagon and a new Jetta wagon at the autoshow.

I'm considering the WRX wagon just because it's far more practical than a sedan which doesn't have a 60/40 folddown seat. A passthrough doesn't cut it these days. There is something inherently hilarious about a wagon that does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. I know I'll be smiling when I drive this beast.
    What type of gas is the RX going to take? Re or Premium? This might be a factor in my decision to buy one. I have seen a few things pointing to premium but I hope that this is not correct!!! Any ideas????
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    The WRX has to require premium gas, I can't imagine someone wanting to put regular in it. If a couple of bucks a tank extra for premium is a deal breaker - you're looking at too much car......
    What type of gas is the RX going to take? Re or Premium? This might be a factor in my decision to buy one. I have seen a few things pointing to premium but I hope that this is not correct!!! Any ideas????
    Yes, the WRX requires premium gas. I did not buy this car for it's economy of operation. It's not bad but not as good as my 00'OB Ltd w/auto, especially factoring the need for premium gas. All I have to say for those that are worried about whether it is economical to own, does or does not look cool enough, too small, etc. is DRIVE IT then go back to your list. It will be interesting to see how the list becomes less important. Just my .02 on the subject.

Stephen
  • sajohnsonsajohnson Member Posts: 48
    I just got back from placing an order for a WRX sedan. The dealer here in Maryland was willing to take $23,000. I hope this helps prospective buyers as the usual rules don't apply at this time with this vehicle.
    drinks premium like any serious performance cars. I just cannot understand a person who pays over 24k for a car but cannot pay premium gas to run it. It was calulated once that in a year if you do an average of 20,000miles you only pay about $110 more over regular.....
    I say if you can't afford the maintenance then go get an Echo or something. I am not directing this post to you dellwell. Your post brings up a good point since there are alot of ppl that wonders about that. Hope you see my point.
    Thanks Ramon. That was basically the point I was trying to make as well. The WRX is a serious performance car that just happens to be docile enough to live w/on a daily basis, not the other way around. A person needs to keep the WRX in perspective, it's all about the driving experience.

Stephen
  • outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    you say that the dealer took 23K. why??? did this price include any options and/or the dest. charge? Obviously you can't get every dealer in the country to sell for the same price, but I havn't talked to any dealer in south Texas who is coming off MSRP.
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    While I think paying MSRP is fine if you feel good about a dealer or they are limited in your area, many people on the message boards over at I-club got the WRX for $500-$1000 over invoice. I would say at least half of them. The WRX is loaded to begin with and there are very few options worth it. I think many dealers got some flack for being so quick to jump on the $500 over invoice deals from Subie of America that now they be a little more unwilling to make that deal. My brother ordered his for MSRP and will be in the first shipment. The deposit is totally refundable if he doesn't like the test drive.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    "I think many dealers got some flack for being so quick to jump on the $500 over invoice deals from Subie of America..." -- hersbird

Once a dealer buys the car from SOA (at a number below published INVOICE I expect) then they could care less how much the dealer sells it for. They won't make any more or less on the deal since the deal is done as far as they are concerned.

A salesperson can correct me if I'm worng, but I believe that is the way it works.

:-)
  • wrxanswerswrxanswers Member Posts: 21
    When getting a discount on clothing or such, you must ask for the manager to get a discount, common sense should tell you that. The sales consultant on a car lot must also have the permission from the sales manager to discount a car. Why do you think they are always going to the sales manager during a deal? And you are right, demand is greater for WRX so why should the dealer have to discount? Yet you expect it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The turbos burn premium, but at least it's an LEV and gets 20/27 EPA figures. Driven hard, as is likely, it won't quite make those numbers, but that is still an impressive feat given the 227 horses.

If mpg is a big concern, consider the RS instead. It burns regular and gets even better mileage. It also makes good low-end power.

ASC makes aftermarket moonroofs, so look into it if you're interested. I've had two installed and neither had any problems.

The WRX interior is greatly improved, at least if you're thinking of the current Impreza. The seats are fantastic - I'd love a set of those in my Forester. Plus you get side air bags and a CD changer - not exactly economy features. Even the rear seat is roomier. I'd say the wagon matches the A4 Avant there.

I think lots of folks will cross-shop BMW and Audi, actually. I know I would, if the wife wanted to replace her car. My critera would be AWD or RWD, wagon, a back seat, good power and handling, sub $30k price.

The problem is that forces me to compare the WRX to the 1.8T and 325xi, both nearly stripped.

We saw BMW motorcycles at their stand at the Baltimore Auto Show, and I kind of giggled when I read in their brochure that "the boxer engine carries its weight low in the chassis for an improved center of gravity and better balance." So BMW agrees about the advantages of a boxer layout!

ramon: finally saw one in person, eh?

BTW, there are accessory rear cup holders already on the market. In photos they look to be in the same place the Forester has them.

-juice
    yup yup. saw some WRX in the metal. It is quite nice. The interior is way better than the current Imprezas. I like that push in pop out cupholders. I can play with that all day! hahahaha.... push in pop out...push in pop out.
    The seats are nice too. The big intercooler is el neato! It's so much business like unlike those Audis or bimmers having plastic covers all over the engine to make it pretty. Oh well.
    My biggest disappointment is the new RS. It is a step back. Yes it has the new age design. But it is missing alot of stuff that the current RS has. Example : Rear LSD, sunroof, foglights, checkered seats (the new rs seats are ugly!), useless hoodscoops and vents to make it look fast.... I dunno. I was quite disappointed with the new RS line. The rest of the N/A Imprezas are good to go too.
    I know for sure that future WRXs would built on top of this for sure! The new WRX are nice but there's still lots to be improved. I can see future WRXs coming with sunroofs, more hp, bigger brakes, wilder spoilers?, bi spoilers for WRX wagons etc.... bring 'em here Subaru!!!

WELCOME TO NORTH AMERICA WRX!!!! HAVE YOURSELF SOME MUSTANGS WHILE YOU'RE HERE!
  • outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    Sporin-Don't tell me your one of those people who wonders if published invoice prices are the real thing. Invoice is invoice! Most all web sites worth a darn (including this one) get the invoice figures right. The ones that don't I figure it is probably just an error from having to keep up with so many figures. I agree with wrxanswers that the manufacture makes no more or less on a car whether it is sold for invoice or msrp. Subaru does want dealers to make money on the cars they sell because if they don't than why would they want to re. Subaru products?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    ramon: I agree about the interior. Overall about two steps up, but those WRX seats were touched by God!

The cup holder is for one cup, which is odd. The Forester fits two in the same size space. Guess they didn't need a 2nd, since there is one in the console, but I bought one for $12 IIRC from Darlene, so why not?

I thought the new RS had the rear LSD? Is it gone?

LOL! I didn't know Scoobies ate horses? ;-)

-juice
    you kill me juicester!

sadly the new RS will not have rear LSD. Only the new WRX. So in light of that.... nevermind. I'll annouce it next week at the Club's forum. ;)

Bah, I never use the front cupholder. I always use the armrest one. Not like I ever drink anyways.
  • bedabibedabi Member Posts: 149
    I just got off the phone with Van Bortel Subaru. I was assured that my order for a manual silver WRX sedan was filled and received ON PAPER a fax of their prices that I will be charged. Remember, this dealership has a NO HAGGLING policy, and lists their prices up front like in a restaurant. The cost will be $22,444, that's $1551 under MSRP. Add freight costs of $535, and that comes to $22,979. They list it on their pricing sheet. I ordered mine with the security kit and short shifter.

And FYI, they also list the manual RS sedan as $17,911 (18,995 MSRP)

So far, they've been very courteous and knowledgeable. And in response to my concerns of having to go all the up to Rochester from New York City and getting screwed with a sudden inflation in the invoice as we've discussed, the salesman offered to Fed Ex all paperwork to me here so I can get title to the car before I go up. Remember, I never put any money down, so I can't enforce a contract yet.

I'll keep you updated. Let's hope it all works out.
    In Japan, the advertisement of WRX goes, "we designed this car starting from the driver's seat". Indeed, the seat and the driving position have been highly praised. I wonder why SOA is not using the same copy, or is it? I haven't seen the broacher yet.
This discussion has been closed.