Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Over at I-club, I saw a picture of a German spoiler for the WRX that was PERFECT! Just a nice litle thing that connected the sides of the trunk... Probably not functional, but it made the rear end look 200% better! Ill try and find the pic...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks,

Unless you actually own a photograph, you cannot use the "img src" html tags to post it here.

It is okay to post a link to a picture hosted somewhere else, provided you are not violating any terms of agreement with the host site.

Please keep in mind the copyright issues outlined in your Terms of Use here in Town Hall. (A link to the TOU is on the left sidebar here.)

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    You know, as much as I like this site, methinks Edmunds must have skimped on their law advice. This is the third time in the past week I've come across a post from the staff babbling about no posting of pictures or text that isn't yours.

"for recreational and informational purposes" is what this site is all about, and gives all the protection you need in terms of people posting material that isn't theirs, as long as they don't start calling it their own material. Even then, contact by the party will be to inform Edmunds of the infraction by the individual, and not Edmunds directly.

As for the WRX, I was disappointed that Subaru followed in the footsteps of Toyota in applying silver accents to the dash. In Toyotas, it is painted plastic that looks like the portable radios of the '80s, a look that seems to be making a comepack in the electronics world. Accents in the WRX painted plastic or real metal? How does it look?

-B
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you have issues with the policies of Town Hall, the appropriate thing to do would be to contact management.

You can either follow the link to "Online Support" on the left sidebar, or if you prefer you may email Dana Livingston our Community Manager directly.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    I am totally agree with pat!!!
    I am doing a reserch paper for my Theater&Art class. Yes, you can site the scource of where your info were coming from, but you can not put it into your own use. As an example I can not use the subject(Asian women's Playwright) pics to put it in my web page. Unless you have full authorization to post their work on your web page or post...etc.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    of posting images, that belong to someone else, falls under the broad topic of "intellectual property." It's an issue (as a graphic designer) I am constantly aware of. It's nightmarish issue, to say the least. The only people who like it are the lawyers.

Bob
    Yes, I really should send an email to management. You can use the image on your website if you aren't profiting from it and it is noted. But this isn't the time or place to dive into the latest and greatest in electronic media copyright and fair use clauses, =)

Getting back to the WRX, I'd really like to wait a couple of years before getting one, both in terms of seeing where the aftermarket goes and see what else Subaru might offer once the WRX catches on (and hopefully it will). ANybody else planning on waiting until at least the 2003 model year before getting one?

-Beanboy
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    The least bit you could have done was edited my post so it was a link... all you had to do was get rid of the img=src, now I have to FREAKIN FIND IT AGAIN! :(
  • dtech114dtech114 Member Posts: 21
    Hello everyone! I'm happy to report that I will soon be joining the elite group of WRX owners. I just put my deposit on one yesterday with the dealer agreeing to sell me the vehicle for MSRP. I have an actual buyers order, written and signed to that effect and watched them fax in my order. I'm getting two options.....the buyers order is actually for a WRX ordered to my exact specifications which Subaru is guarantying delivery on any orders placed by Feb 28th by end of April (8 weeks or less). Alternatively, if one of the WRX's already coming in the next couple of weeks and allocated to the dealer matches or comes close to what I have ordered, they will give me first pick to take that one instead. Considering the other dealer I talked to quoted me $5K OVER MSRP and was MUCH less flexible (I basically laughed at them, told them "no thank you", and hung up), I consider myself lucky, especially in the South Florida area, to have gotten one allocated to me for MSRP by one of the three local dealers (within a 40 mile radius). BTW, I ordered a sedan with the spoiler, air filtration, and the security upgrade.

Dtech
  • dkapsdkaps Member Posts: 3
    Obviously this is an awesome machine and great value for the $$$ but a couple of things have been interrupting my WRX dreaming...

Has there ever been a turbo-Subie sold here in the states? If so, how did it fare? Should this not be a concern? Is the extra 62 horses (yes, I'm salivating too) over the 2.5 liter worth any potential long-term reliability risks? Are our insurance companies going to put us all through financial trauma just because we want to have a little WR-extra fun? Does anyone have any ideas what rates will be like (relatively speaking, of course)? Am I just being silly, boring and/or cheap?

Well, back to that dream where I'm fearlessly tearing through the Canadian countryside in the middle of January...
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I do not think reliability of turbo itself is a problem. I am not sure about the support, though. As you may know, Subaru's 2.0L+turbo has been around in Asia and Europe for almost 15 years and they have had 280+ horse powers. The same engine is used in WRC in which god knows how much power is produced from this small engine. So, although 115hp/L seems quite a high output, it must be a piece of cake.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Fuji Heavy Industries makes a wide range of turbocharged engines for automotive and aircraft use - I wouldn't be too concerned about their know-how. The usual turbo motor caveats apply (let them warm up before subjecting them to max boost, allow them to idle and cool after a hard run, use synthetic oil and don't scrimp on maintenance, etc.), but I would guess the WRX engine in the U.S. market car still has some room for further tweaks.
  • silver_skysilver_sky Member Posts: 12
    where I live (Milwaukee) I couldn't find many workshop who can install the timer...
    Kingmotorsports (Mugen sole US distributor) which happens to be not so far from here, said they can install it but not sure how long will it take for subaru...
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    There were a bunch up until 1996 or so. The closest thing to the WRX would be the 230 HP (I think) AWD SVX. It competed well in the sport car field but had funky looks and a steep price that really kept it from catching on. Does anybody know about how many SVX's were sold evey year? I think a AWD version cost $35,000 new so the $25,000 WRX in a traditional sedan package I think will far outsell the SVX. At least subie's WRX motor was designed to be a turbo motor from the start, not just a regular motor with a turbo slapped on to get more power. I bet reliability is pretty standard, worst case you melt your turbo from abuse and you have to get the STI version as long as you're replacing things!
  • outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    Subaru has lots of experience with turbos. It has been awhile since they sold one in the US but they have built them for many years so the usually rules about not buying the first years product doesn't apply here. I have seen several new or redeisned models from Subaru come out during my 5 years of selling them and NONE have had any new car bugs or service issues. I bought one of the first 2000 Outbacks produced (after the full redisgn) and it has been great. I'm sure the warranty and maintenance book will have all the info you need to get miles from your WRX.
    Especially when the TS/RS is going to be sporting the same chassis and suspension with less weight, should actually handle better than the WRX for 5K less.

However, you are starting off with an additional 62HP with a motor designed for a turbo. Cheap mods should net another 30HP or so once the warranty runs out.

As for insurance, who knows? Anybody have ideas for the A4 versus S4? Getting a wagon should help, but since the WRX is within the reach of younger drivers, I fear the worst. Doesn't help that I'm in MA...living within the limits of Boston...and a young white male .

-Beanboy
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I do not think owners will wait until 60k miles to tweak that engine...

Ottos: Doritos may perform better, but they break easily. Fritos are more reliable, so there!

Audi offered the spoiler as a retrofit, and for free, and only a tiny minority of drivers wanted it. It's only at 130mph that it got unsettled, and where can you do that here in the US?

Stephen: I saw that silver on the sedan, and in the wagon body style it ought to be a real sleeper.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of a USA Today auto reviewer. They are wrong more often than they are right.

The metal-finish interior trim is optional. You don't have to get it.

-juice
  • ottosottos Member Posts: 80
    I really like those 17" wheels that look like a bigger version of the 16" ones. They are on the UK version of the car, and also you can see them on Subaru's WRX site. But are we getting them? I hope those damn BBS wheels aren't our only choice.
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    don't trust the pictures. The WRX looks better in person! And it looks better everytime you look at it. It grows on you like some kinda mushroom. =)
    I saw the real thing at the autoshow. It looks great. Pop up the hood and you're greeted with one mean mofo engine with a no fuss boxer 4 engine configuration and top off by one big intercooler! It makes the intercooler for the Mazda Miller cycle engine look like a small calculator!
    Later my friend and I swung by Subaru of Canada's HQ which is located conveniently by my house during the wee hrs of the night and what did I see? a silver WRX sedan parked in the lot. It look great. It has the spoiler. The spoiler does not look dorky. It complements it nicely. I think it looks nice whether with or without the spoiler. For the sleeper look the sans spoiler would be killer.
    Yes I also saw the BBS rims on a WR blue WRX. IMHO I wouldn't pay that crazy price for it.
    I'd go aftermarket for wheels. OE is too pricey. I priced the 16" alloys and almost fainted. I got aftermarket wheels for half the price.

Grows on you like a fungus (mushrooms are a fungus)? ;-)

-juice
  • soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    Which dealer here in South Florida wanted $5k over MSRP..was it EA? we ended up buying my wife's 2001Legacy GT from an out of town dealer...the ones here were pretty lame
    Actually it was Delray Subaru. Eddie Accardi is where they actually gave me the reasonable deal. I guess it depends on your sales person, but there was also a lot of interaction with the sales manager given the details of ordering the car. All things considered they were very professional, reasonable, and friendly. Ask for Ed Tozzi at EA...he's a nice guy. Delray....no way....I could hear the manager in the background telling the sales person to tell me they would only be getting one or two a month and to quote me $5K OVER MSRP (they didn't even offer the order option). Like I said...I blew them off and did the paperwork with EA. William Lehman is another option in our area, but I've never had much luck with them in the past, regardless of the brand. I would have definitely been willing to travel to get the car if I could not have gotten an MSRP deal in town. Given any savings above and beyond that (maybe $500 +/-) somewhere more remote in the country, I'm willing to live with MSRP, but no higher, since this is a LONG TERM keeper.

Dtech
    I actually saw a list price of like 3K for the BBS Wheels! Completely outrageous considering you still have to supply YOUR OWN TIRES. However, I did ask my sales guy this morning to find out if the dealer was willing to give me a credit on the OEM Bridgestone RE92's towards the car and then have them mount a different set either through them or bringing my own, on the stock 16" wheels for me before delivery. They will probably say no, which is fine, because the stock RE92's will wear out quickly (tread wear 160). Doesn't hurt to ask though. Yes, I actually like the stock 16" wheels and any change to 17" or whatever would make at most a negligible performance difference given the same brand and type of tire (tread width of a high performance 205/55/16 is practically identical to a 215/45/17). Larger wheels are mostly for personal asthetic preferrence. Don't forget larger rims and tires are heavier(take more power to turn), tires are more expensive, and it's much easier to bend a rim when going over not so smooth roads/terrain or even the unexpected pothole. Just my $.02.

Dtech
    Eddie Accardi Subaru in Pompano Beach, FL (800-223-6300). Ask for Ed Tozzi or if he is not available Mark Sawyer and tell them I sent you (Dan the guy that ordered the WRX). They are both nice guys that gave me initial information, but Ed is working my deal going forward.

Dan Medina
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    on saturday night, it snowed a bit in Toronto so my friend and I went out looking for some empty parking lots to play around. Subaru of Canada so happens to be a 2 minute drive from my place along with a bunch of other big offices. So we went to pay homage to SOC. And what it blessed us with? A silver WRX sitting at the parking lot. We were so tempted to err.... trade wheels. hehehehe.
    Ask how much credit the dealer will give you if you don't want the 16" rims. I imagine you could sell them yourself here or on i Club. Even used sets sell for $300 and up. Another option is keep 'em for snow tires.

-juice
  • trent_fltrent_fl Member Posts: 2
    Please excuse my ignorant, but does anyone know if there's a filter between the hood scoop and the intercooler? Or is the intercooler easily removable for cleaning. I don't know elsewhere, but here in Florida, when Love Bug season come, that big hood scoop will have love bugs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    There is no filter. It's wide open.

I imagine WRX owners will be the type that detail engine compartments with regularity.

-juice
  • dkapsdkaps Member Posts: 3
    If I'm going to be driving down the road dodging flying insects I definitely need the 17" wheels...

Seriously, since there's no filter, the intercooler will surely be catching mucho bugs (at least where I plan on taking this beast). So let's just say I'll be one of the few WRXers that wont be detailing the engine compartment too often (juice, thanks for the info but you overestimate me); what does this mean? A messy engine or worse? It seems ridiculous but I'm looking for any reason NOT to buy this car.
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    Oh boy, I hope someday Subaru sells one of these STIs. If WRX is $24K, STI can not be over $40K, right? I would definitly get one.... Let's pray.
    Dave: sorry to break your heart, but I think the intercooler is stainless.

Ken gave you the reason though - wait for the even better STi edition.

$40k is way high. I bet they could do it near $30k.

-juice
  • mountainmommountainmom Member Posts: 3
    I'm wondering if the 2002 Impreza has a "non-turbo" engine. I know, I know, you're probably thinking WHY? I'm not sure if I need the turbo. I am considering the 2001 2.5 RS model. The MSRP is $23K for the 2002; is there any negotiating with that price? Any feedback you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks!!
    Kathy: definitely, yes. There will be a 2002 2.5 RS sedan, basically the same engine in the current RS but on the new platform, which is a little bigger and stiffer, but a tad heavier.

If you prefer a wagon, they'll have two options, a TS and the Outback Sport. The nice thing is that both of these will get the 2.5l engine standard.

Your price is for the WRX. The models without the turbo engine are far cheaper - you'll be able to get one in the high teens.

So the thing to decide is which body style you like, old or new.

-juice
    Think of it this way....only about 8000 sedan WRXs will be imported this year. Given that these will mostly sell for MSRP (and probably higher later in the year given demand), it's safe to say an even more limited edition such as the STi would make this problem even worse. Although Subaru mentioned that an STi version was not out of the question for the future, they said they have no plans to import one any time soon (info from SCC). When and if they do, it will likely be a very limited number such as 500 or at the very most 1000(I'd be surprised at this many) of them similar to the Integra Type R. The price is likely to be in the $35K-$40K range BUT given the limited supply, I wouldn't plan on getting one for even MSRP if past sales in the UK are any indication. Some people with money would likely buy one just to turn around and make a quick profit on the car's limited availability.(otherwise known as shameless vultures for use of nice words). For people like myself with a modest (yet growing) portfolio and middle class income, the $25K I'm paying for the WRX, is MUCH easier to work into the budget (especially when a wife and child are considerations). I'm even more at ease since I know it wouldn't take anywhere near $10K in SAFE modifications to make it into an STi (WRX uses the same valvetrain as the STi) when I decide to.

If you are having second thoughts about a WRX after doing your research....THE WRX IS NOT FOR YOU. Waiting for an STi is fine if you have the extra money and don't like to tinker with your vehicles, but holding your breath waiting for one wouldn't be a wise idea, especially if you need/want a vehicle in the next year or two.

Dtech
  • tisbe2tisbe2 Member Posts: 6
    So has anyone ordered their WRX in a color other than silver?
    My friend Hutch ordered one last night. Silver sedan.

-juice
    I ordered my sedan last Friday in WR Blue!

Dtech
    Yeah, I think the blue will be the most popular color. At the local i Club meets, more than half are blue. We get a sprinkle of silver, black, and white. Not many though.

-juice
  • mountainmommountainmom Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies! Is there a place where I can see the Invoice and MSRP prices for the 2002 "NON-TURBO" Impreza? I don't need the turbo. I'll just have to see the 2002 and compare the 01 to it. (looks wise).
    No, the Sti is way out of my limits. I'm just looking for an AWD to get me around....looks are important too.
    This is the most comprehensive site I've seen:

http://www.new-impreza.com/

They list MSRP, but not invoices prices. Figure about 10% less for invoice. Edmunds and KBB.com ought to have exact pricing up in a couple of weeks.

-juice
  • outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    Here it is the 2002 RS sedan pricing in 5 speed with no options.

MSRP19520 w/Dest.
    Invoice 17969 w/Dest.

The RS isn't quite as well equiped as the 01 so you will probably want a few options. I don't expect to sell these at MSRP like the WRX but don't expect to buy them at invoice either. Prices are staight out of my ordering book from Subaru so I promise they are correct.
    Under $18k is great. No sunroof any more, though. You can get an aftermarket power moonroof for under a grand.

-juice
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    I think it's not that simple.
    There must be a reason for them not to offer this option for the '02 model.
    Mine is red. Bright blue was too loud, but silver is too boring. I wish they had a navy blue.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Otto: I felt the same way about the blue and initially the silver. I'm always the one saying that silver is just a noncommittal sort of white thing. However, the more I saw the silver on the WRX, the more I saw that it really showed off all it's lines (controversial and otherwise). I also like the way the sport seats with the blue woven in the black are offset by the silver and the aluminum-like trim around the dash. I considered the red but it was too much like my Nissan p/u of the late 80's and it was sort of a "been there done that sort of thing" for me. The black was also nice, especially w/its blue tinge to it but I'm trading in a black OB Ltd and didn't want to really repeat the color choice (did I mention how difficult it is to keep clean for any length of time?).

When is your WRX due to get to you? I'm in the first allocation, so sometime after 3/15....come on, come on!

Stephen in Seattle
    Well, it's expected to be here in mid, late April. I'm on the 2nd shipment. But I'll come to the dealership and celebrate the first shipment with you guys anyway (but not in Seattle).

My dad's (now mine) pickup truck is red too. Now I got matching truck and car. Like a matching boyfriend and girlfriend.
    Well, it's expected to be here in mid, late April. I'm on the 2nd shipment. But I'll come to the dealership and celebrate the first shipment with you guys anyway (but not in Seattle).

My dad's (now mine) pickup truck is red too. Now I got matching truck and car. Like a matching boyfriend and girlfriend.
    Actually I thought they did offer a navy blue called Ridge Blue or something like that. There's also a limited run of yellow. What about green? Anyway....I LOVE that WR Blue so that's how I ordered mine!

Dtech
    According to my dealer down here in South Florida, Subaru is guarrantying delivery by end of April if the order is placed no later than tomorrow. Could be sooner if dealer allocation matches your order, but I guess it depends on the dealer and how they want to handle their inventory vs. orders.

BTW has anyone gotten an order confirmation with their actual VIN# and options list from Subaru yet? If so, how long did it take?

Dtech
  • wregexwregex Member Posts: 8
    I have an order confirmation #, list of options, but no VIN.

Question about dealers and inventory mgt (dtech mentioned something that got me thinking): Do dealers order a bunch of WRX's for their own inventory, in addition to the orders placed for customers such as ourselves?

If so, a situation that arose with my dealer would make sense now. The situation was: I ordered a WRX sans options in late January. Later, i called them back because I wanted the security upgrade. Yeah, they say, no problem. The car you ordered has the security upgrade, spoiler, and armrest...What!? I thought I ordered with no options - what is this! So they looked again closely and realized that my car is actually coming in the 2nd allocation, but there is a sedan in the 1st allocation in my color, with the security upgrade like I asked, except that it has a couple other options I didn't ask for initially. They said I could look at this one and if I can stand the car with the spoiler, I could have the spoiler for free and buy it. Sounds fair, I thought.

But it left me wondering: who's (if anyone's) car is the option-clad WRX that is now "reserved" for me? Or is it a feeble attempt to upsell some options to me? Dtech's comment about dealer inventory would make sense. Maybe I'm just having a hard time realizing that this is actually lucky: one allocation sooner, free spoiler? C&@P -- I better make sure it's still a 5-speed!! :)
This discussion has been closed.