Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    After 13,700 miles. It wasn't flashing (a good thing) but i got out, popped the hood to see if I could find anything awry. Everything looked fine. Made an appt to take the car in on Sunday (yes, believe or not, my dealer's svc dept is open). Last night while starting the car to come home, the light never came on. I've driven all over today and even punched it some...no light. I've ordered the pocketlogger today. It will allow me to read the codes utilizing my palm pilot. I thought it might be a wise investment.

Stephen
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    How much did it go for?

-mike
  • jdbtensaijdbtensai Member Posts: 122
    evo, though i don't know which one. he has some arrangement with mitsubishi and uses'em in every movie he does.
  • rileyyhrileyyh Member Posts: 49
    Hey all. Well, it seems that I'm going to be joining you guys as an owner of a 'probable' silver WRX sedan in automatic. I hope it will be a good first car that will last me a long time. But it seems that this Isuzu dealer (because I was interested in getting a 2001 Vehicross before hearing about the WRX) called my parents four times after they were given a 'final' offer which was pretty good. I think my dad wants me to just go see it and test drive it.

Paisan, I know i've seen you in the Vehicross board. I just wanted your opinion, which do you think is a better car, the WRX or the 2001 Vehicross? I was surprised that Consumer Reports gave the Trooper good ratings (I thought all Isuzus sucked in reliability and safety) so it gives me some hope that the Vehicross might be a more reliable/safe SUV. Just wanted an opinion. Thanks.

riley
    The pocketlogger was $175. Anyway..it's cheaper than most of the mods I've been doing. :-)

Stephen
    Well Vehicross v. WRX is a hard comparison. Going strickly on reliability they are both quite reliable but I'd have to shift my reliability toward the Isuzu only because I know they can take a great deal of abuse and keep going with minimal to no maintenance. Here are a few questions before I give any further reccomendations on this:

o What will you be using it for? What kind of driving? How much stuff do you want to put in it?
    o Gas milage a factor?
    o Offroadability?
    o Do you like sedans or trucks?
    o Hand built v. factory?
    o AT v. MT

I have an XT6 which is the great great grand father of the WRX and a Trooper which is mechanically the same as the VX. Both great vehicles, but for different purposes.

-mike
    I shall be getting an automatic transmission vehicle. My dad likes the size of the vehicross better than the WRX. My mom likes the four door better than the 2 of the Vehicross. I've ridden in the WRX and like it's handling but only my parents have driven the Vehicross (they said it was much nicer than other SUVs since we all hate soft suspension). I am a bit of a gas conservative type, but my dad says don't think too much about that in considering a car. This is going to be my only source of transportation. I don't go offroading. And while I prefer sedans, the vehicross is an exception. It has sporty suspension (so i hear) and it is relatively small, maybe a bit longer than a WRX? So both are good to me. If you say that the Vehicross is reliable, then I might seriously consider it over the WRX since I could proly get a really good deal from this dealer that had 17 brand new 2001's the last time I checked. Maybe around $22,000 for a brand new 2001 which started at $30,000? I'm hoping that would be the price I could get it for with 0% APR for 5 years, no tax and the 10 year warranty. Basically, I'm ready to purchase the WRX but my dad thinks I should try test driving the Vehicross before I just buy the WRX. I can tell that he knows the WRX is a good car because of all the statistics I've told him, but he feels that, for the money, the Vehicross might be more of a deal. What do you think? I don't like body lean in a car, I'm thinking the VX is minimal body lean? I thought the Jetta I rode in had horrible body lean tendencies.

Oh yeah, the reason I decided not to pursue the Vehicross was because the manager of the dealership was mean. I called to see if I could bargain a price a bit and she raised her voice and said, "Then don't buy a Vehicross!" so I just didn't want to give her business. But my parents dealt with this other sales guy who was nice to them and he's the one who called my parents like 4 times in the past month to ask if they were still interested.

riley

I also want a car that I can drive from the east coast to the west coast and back with no problems. While the gas mileage of the Vehicross would make that more expensive, I hear you want a lot of space if you are going on a road trip so the larger capacity to hold stuff would be cool.
    How old are you? Buy the one that suits you..only you can figure this out. Leave you parents out of the equation, unless (of course) they are helping to foot the bill!

Stephen
    I am 22, graduating from NYU this may in the field of Nutrition. I am going to move to my parent's new house in Virginia. I've never owned a car, but my parents are going to help me purchase a car. Basically, they are financing the car and everything, while I just help out with what I can. While it will be 90% my car to drive, there will also be times when my dad or mom will use the car. Otherwise, my parents can use my dad's Infiniti Q45. But we are far from rich, the Q45 was used and is now very old. I think the lower price and 0% APR for 5 years really attracts my dad to the Vehicross, hehe. That and the cheaper price. I must admit, I don't deserve an expensive car like the WRX as a first car, but as I told them, I'd be perfectly happy with any used car they buy me if they are paying for it fully. I told them if I'm going to be paying off the monthly payments with whatever money I get, then I'd rather buy something I like. I like both WRX and Vehicross and previously was considering the Jetta (no more due to reliability issues). Since I like both cars, safety and reliability are the two main issues that are important to me. This is my little self promotion and now maybe you could help me out a bit more. hehe. i'm thinking that if the vehicross is of comparable performance to the WRX, and if it is much cheaper than the WRX, then I might just get the Vehicross. But only if it's like $4000 cheaper.

riley

paisan - aren't there some build quality issues with the VX? like the window coming out of the track after some use?
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    I test drove a Vehicross just for the fun of it (I don't like most SUVs), and I was surprised. While I wasn't too impressed with its acceleration (after all it has the same engine as the Trooper), it definitely was a good handler. Surely surprised on some highway off/on ramps. It will guzzle gas though, I think the EPA rating was 15/20. It does have really good Recaro front seats, and an interesting exterior look. It will definitely turn heads, something an Impreza won't do too often. It's a good SUV, but I wish they had made a 4-door version. The suspension is complex, but does it's job well. It rides pretty decently too. I think Isuzu designed it as an image vehicle, and it was its image vehicle until last year. If I had to buy an SUV, I'd buy this one, cause it's handling comes closest to what I prefer in a vehicle barring cars like the WRX. Definitely test drive it if you can get it for around the same price as a WRX or less. 0% is tempting, and I'm sure that's one of your dad's reasons for recommending the car. But he'll look very cool in it too.
    How does the Vehicross's handling compare to the WRX? what car would it be most like in handling? is it better than the Jetta?

Does the Vehicross have more or less usuable space than the WRX? I know there is very little space between the backseats and the back door. Only if you fold down the back seats would you have any cargo space. I think the WRX might actually have more space since the Vehicross only seats 2 in the back?

Are the Recaro seats comparable to the WRX sport seats? Because I really like that high bolstered sport seat. I feel snug.

riley
    Well for one thing they are very limited in quantity so that will make it special. Handling is awsome for an SUV, but not WRX level obviously. Build issues are minimal on the VX and the chassis and drivetrain are tried and tested so relibailty is real real high. Roomwise it will have more room than a WRX cause you can load it up to the ceiling. The Suspension isn't reall that compelx, it's a std trooper suspension with thicker sway bars and shocks that have external resvoirs for the fluid so that they don't overheat. Power is adequet caust it's relatively light compared to a trooper's 4500+lbs. The Recaro seats will be more comfy than the WRX seats and are more of a captains chair than a sit down on the floor sports car. With the rear seats folded it's pretty cavernous for space, definitely more than a WRX.

If you want a sports car though the WRX is what you want, the VX is not a sports car. Based on my trooper experiences though, once on the highway it will haul butt, i've had my trooper up to 115 w/o much effort and usually cruise at 80-90 on the interstates.

My old rodeo ('97) went 120K miles with only oil changes, 1 replacement of tires, 1 replacement of brake pads. No other maintenance was done and I beat the snot out of it on a daily basis. So far I have 37K on the 00 Trooper and it is running like a charm, in fact gave someone a testdrive at my dealership and they bought one based on test driving mine with almost 40K on it.

-mike
  • tricycletricycle Member Posts: 4
    What's the general wrx crowd opinion of the rear differential protector? Vital? Useful? Unnecessary unless going a-rallying on vicious gravel roads? Any down side, e.g., reduced clearance? (Dealer did not know). I was thinking of getting one (when I HOPEFULLY purchase the car tomorrow!), because they it seems useful and is not very dear in the purse. Thoughts? While on the subject of options...those of you who sprang for the auto dimming mirror with compass: is it worth the extra hundred? Any other items that have proven indispensably handy? Thanks!
  • acs236acs236 Member Posts: 5
    I had considered getting the autodimming mirror, but ended up not getting it. I've driven cars with them and was unimpressed. I was actually just considering it for the compass feature, but then I figured I just get a $10 compass and save myself (how much?) $150.
  • wrxguywrxguy Member Posts: 51
    The option that I have is the alarm/security system. I live in a larger city area so it give me some peace o' mind. The differential protector might be a good thing if a person wants to leave the pavment. I think it adds a bit more weight but snugs right up to the diff so not really a ground clearance issue IMO.

The auto dimming mirror would cut the glare of the guys behind you and blinding you at night on the freeway. I dont have one but having one would make it easier on my eyes. I've heard many positive things about that one.
    Thanks all. Since I have received a positive reliability report with the Vehicross, I may consider it instead of the WRX (oh no!). I think my parents would like it better if we can get it for around $24,000, no tax, 0%apr for 5 years. That's cheaper than a WRX with auto and leather seats and carbon fiber trim.

riley
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I have it on my Acura and I consider it indispensable while driving at night. When some SUV drives behind you at night, it is blinding to say the least. With Auto-dimming mirrors, you would not even feel the glare.

My Auto-WRX did not come with the Auto-dimming mirrors and so I placed an order for it, to be fitted on, next week.

I also ordered for the Security upgrade and the rear diff protector, even though a rear-diff protector is not really a requirement on a car that is mainly driven on paved roads.

Later...AH
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Hey Riley... The Vehicross is an interesting looking vehicle. The interior is NOT as thrilling as the exterior. I understand they're not making them anymore from my limited research. I do know that the Vehicross is 10 inches shorter than the WRX. With seats down there is 50 cubic feet of cargo capacity. When you compare that to the WRX Wagon, you come up 10 feet SHORT (maybe a few feet more I forget) of the capacity of the wagon.

I would also consider parts availability into the equation too. If you ever get into an accident (hopefully not) the body panels will be much harder to find and they'll be expensive.

Overall, the WRX Wagon would be a MUCH better choice. If cargo is not in the equation, then the sedan will do too.

The dealer invoice price on a Vehicross is ~27k so if you can get it for 22k that's a steal! Also the gas mileage is also a factor. Driving the WRX conservatively will give you 25 mpg. The Vehicross will be lucky to get out of the high teens. Factor in the FUN the WRX will bring and it appears the Vehicross is NOT the clear winner in this equation.
  • bull3964bull3964 Member Posts: 65
    ... and had a blast

here are some links for some very crappy digital pics.

http://home.attbi.com/~amremai/mud1.jpg

http://home.attbi.com/~amremai/mud2.jpg

It was pouring down rain and I was driving around on gravel/muddy roads up near Meadville PA. Quite a few twisities as well.

I also managed to exceed the handling capabilites of the car. I rounded a corner too fast on the mud and started developing some yaw. I tried to correct but it destabilized more and more. The car finally spun around and came to a rest in a swampy grass field off the side of the road.

I couldn't stop laughing, at no time was I scared and it was a blast.

I had no trouble getting out of the field even though the car sunk up to the rims in the mud. Just put it in first and drove right up onto the road. Damn these little cars are tough. I had my fiend with me that is a sports car enthusiast. Those trips into the mud sold him on the car (if he hadn't of just bought a $200,000 condo). His exact words were "In cars like a corvette, the road and the car need to work together. With a WRX, the road becomes the car's [non-permissible content removed] and the car eats it up no matter what."

• elrayelray Member Posts: 1
    How can a WRX and a vehicross compare??? one is a flat-four cylinder turbocharged 4-door sedan/wagon and the other is a V6 2-door SUV. Similar performance? baaahaaaaahaaaa!!!! WRX 0-60: 5.4 seconds (Car & Driver). Vehicross 0-60: 8.8 seconds (car-stats.com), not to mention significant body-roll with handling, seeing as how its an SUV and all. I've never heard of such a comparison. This isn't apples and oranges, this is apples and cellular phones. While we're at it, let's compare the Jeep Wrangler and the BMW M5. And seeing as how only 2500 vehicrosses were made (and no longer any more) good luck finding one, buddy.
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    "good luck finding one, buddy."

I think you missed it. They are having trouble giving the things away - BIG discounts - despite the limited production. I would not hurry to buy an overweight, ugly, lame-duck SUV? from a manufacturer that may be going out of (N.A.) business. But that's just me. Spend your (parents) money anyway you want.

Ross
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    There seems to be no 2002 VehiCROSS in the "New Car Info" section. Info on the 2001 in "Used" is limited to a few comments on the vehicle.

DjB
    It has the same driveline and frame/chassis as the Trooper (tried and true for 10 years) so parts aren't an issue. There were about 1500-2000 made and Isuzu has tons of em stock piled that have yet to be sold. 2001 was the last year for them as a MY.

Until you people have driven one I'd prefer your "body roll" "overbloated SUV" comments to be kept to yourselves.

I agree it is a weird comparison, but then again I had a deposit on a Legacy GT Wagon before I bought my Trooper.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have the rear diffy protector on my Forester, installed it myself. It's not the lowest point of the underbody, but it is sturdy and would be good if you drive on lots of gravel roads.

At 22, insurance is a big factor. I suggest you call and get quotes, there may be a large difference.

VX should be very durable. Trooper wins awards from JD Powers in 5 year durability, and there is a 10/120 warranty. The trucks hold up, period. They are rare (good and bad) and should be discounted if any are left. While some find the cladding ugly, it will be far more chip and scratch resistant that Subaru's paint, by a long shot.

The WRX is more my type of vehicle, because I prefer lighter, smaller cars, but let's not dismiss the VX just because of its styling - he obviously is drawn to it.

-juice
    The WRX is nice, the vehicross is nice. Personality wise, I'm more of a Vehicross since I don't speed and I like doing stuff like biking and hiking. Both have good power, but one is turbo which makes the engine work harder? While WRX suspension is good, the Vehicross suspension is supposedly the only one found in commercial cars (it's some type of off road performance shocks which never overheat). Some Vehicross owners have compared the handling to sports cars, but not WRX since it's stiffer chassis than most sports cars. If you think about it, WRX is a $24000 car while the Vehicross is a $30,000 car. Maybe the Vehicross is the better deal for me if I can get it for cheaper than the WRX.

paisan - you work for an Isuzu dealer? could you give me an honest idea of what the best deal i could get on a new 2001 vehicross would be? the last quote i received was either $23,300 with normal financing or $26,500 with 0%financing for 5 years and tax was already added on that price. I'm thinking since they had a lot and called my parents back 4 times or so, they are willing to go even lower.
    I'd like the Vehicross on a "once-in-a-while" basis, but I wouldn't want to drive it daily because of the high gas consumption. The WRX is much more of a sports car, but the VX did get rave reviews for its suspension tuning.

BTW, I just took my WRX wagon into the local mountain here near Upland/Ontario, CA, and did essentially a tarmac rally stage... There's a road called Glendora Ridge Road, it's paved, but there's no yellow lines, and very very lightly travelled, and my friend and I tried to go through the road as quickly and safely as possible, and I developed a whole new respect for the abilities of this car, even on stock rims. I doubt the VX would be as fun on this road.

That's true that the VX has less cargo room, because it's two door. I believe Isuzu had a prototype VX 4 door, but they never actually made it production. That would have much more room than the WRX. The VX is a unique SUV though, and the WRX will be available for a while...
    But have a friend who does. Those prices could probably go down about $500-$700 IMHO.

The Vehicross guys are a bit psycho about how well it handles. It is probably the best handling SUV and handles better than 90% of the cars out there, but it isn't a sports car. The shocks are available on the Troopers sold in Japan. They are essentially Baja Racing Shocks that have an external resivoir and therefore don't heat up as quickly as conventional shocks.

From my read of your driving style, the VX is probably going to give you more utility than a WRX.

-mike
    the pricing shouldn't change with financing rates, AFAIK. Isuzu subsidizes the 0% financing anyway, and the dealer always get a kickback from the financing company.
    The way the Isuzu financing deal works is this:

It's 0% financing OR $X,XXX cash-back, but the dealer can only submit 1 claim per vin #. You have to choose which works out better for your situation. A lot of people take the 0% financing, I took the $4,000 off on my truck.

-mike
    Is it possible for you to ask your friend who works at the dealer what is the lowest price I should be able to get the new 2001 Vehicross for if I'm going to get the 0% financing? I don't want to seem unreasonable, but I don't want to pay more than I have to. Thanks.

riley
    I'd go in with an invoice offer and negotiate up to no higher than 1-2% above invoice.

If the model even has a $2000 rebate, that's proof that demand is not such that they can ask for more. I realize you want the financing, but I'm talking supply vs. overall demand.

-juice
    The last time they offered the lowest price possible, it was about $2000 or more below invoice with tax already included, so it was a couple thousand below invoice. But since they have a lot in their stock and they've called my parents 4 times in the last month, I think they are willing to go even further down in price. I don't think this is like a normal purchase since it is 2001 and in low demand. Especially with MY 2003 right around the corner, making these a brand new 2 year old car.

riley
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    I would recomend the Vehicross simply for the fact that you get more metal for your money. The VX probably weights 500 more then the WRX. So by the pound, it is a better deal.
    is the last year for the VX, so there are no 02s or 03s. I believe that the VX and Trooper have $3000 incentive so if they are offering it at $2K below invoice with tax included that mean they are offering it at Invoice. I'd say you can probably get em down to about invoice less the rebate maybe a few $100 more than that, obviously they didn't want to move em too badly or they'd be gone already.

-mike
    You're on the right track, riley, and seem to have done your home work. Good luck.

AN has the rebate at $2000, but it may vary be region so we could both be right.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    A bunch of Subaru owners telling you to get the VehiCross. Aren't we honest individuals. :-)

If you didn't already know, there's an Isuzu Owner's Forum here as well. Also, check out these pics of myself, paisan and some friends off-roading in Subaru's, VX's, etc.
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-02/pics/index_5.htm

-Dennis
  • rex_ruthorrex_ruthor Member Posts: 140
    now i know why the Vehicross thread has been archived.
    LOL Well said.

Ross
    Aren't we a bit full of ourselves. Glad to see you guys have an open mind :(

-mike
    Ross: I thought you were practicing hypnotism, until you fell asleep too! ;-)

-juice
    Hehe, actually, the reason I'm posting about the Vehicross here is because the Isuzu board doesn't have an active Vehicross board.

What's funny is, I was first posting on the Vehicross board at Vmag.com, but then I heard them talk about the WRX there and so I decided to buy a WRX. Now, in the WRX board, I am thinking of buying a Vehicross again. Hehe, and I just go to the VW Jetta board and say how I'm not going to buy their car because of reliability and how these other two cars are better. I'm bad, all mixed up, lol.

riley
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Riley,

Savor the shopping experience. It doesn't get much better than this.

Ken
    You can come over to the Isuzu Owner's club the guys there are quite knowledgeable and a little less zealous than the VX guys.

-mike
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    From what you described, I think either of the cars would meet your needs, regardless of whether you choose the REX or the VX.

But since your parents seem to be drawing you towards the VX, and they happen to be financing (??) the deal, I think VX is the vehicle meant for you.

The WRX would have been a lot more "fun" however if you drive mostly on paved roads, IMHO.

Later...AH
  • bull3964bull3964 Member Posts: 65
    "The WRX would have been a lot more "fun" however if you drive mostly on paved roads, IMHO."

I think it should read...

"The WRX would have been a lot more "fun" however if you drive mostly in areas where it has enough ground clearance."

Paved has little to do with it.
    Luckily the WRX will be around for a while, so he can always pick up the WRX. The VX is quite limited in #s so it will be cool to have such a limited production car.

-mike
    My father bought a new '58 Edsel. He thought it was a great buy.
    :-)

Ross
    I gotta agree with paisan on this one. If you don't like to see yourself coming and going, getting a rare vehicle is a nice bonus. Rarity is one the reasons I like the SVX so much.

The WRX isn't too popular yet, but IMO it will get to that point.

-juice
  • mmatheosmmatheos Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, this is my first post. I bought a new WRX about a month ago, and I'm just now noticing a weird noise.
    Lets say I am driving in a parking lot, and I am going in 2nd gear at like 15 miles per hour. If I lift off the gas completely, and the rpms begin to drop/car starts to slow down because of engine braking, I hear this low scratching noise. This noise is fairly quiet, but not very quiet, although with the radio on you probably wouldn't hear it. It occurs as the rpms slowly drop as they would in the situation i just mentioned in a parking lot. Its kind of like a chrchrchrchr, if that helps at all.
    The thing is, my Old legacy I had before the WRX made the same noise, I'd just never noticed it before on my WRX. Am I being paranoid??
    I get the same noise. I've had everything checked out. Chalk up to quirky personality much like the characteristic somewhat lumpy idle or the famous "boxer" motor growl. :-)

Stephen
This discussion has been closed.