Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Dennis was right. I've not noticed too much difference accessory wise w/the smaller, lighter pulley. I have to turn the volume up on the stereo a couple of more notches than before. I haven't noticed the a/c being weaker (BTW, we've had a lot of 80F temps this summer) then it normally is....if that helps.

Stephen
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    I am about a week away from deciding to get the vishnu stage o and need help. Once i get it, there is really no going back. I want the extar power, but don't want to worry about reliability. The warranty concerns are minimal because i only drive about 8,000 mikea a year and my car is already more than one year old. Is it worth it? Any negatives? What about the pulley? Any info will help.
    Neil: It's worth. The transformation is really noticeable, namely more torque down lower and much more of a pull when the boost kicks in. As a side benny, I've noticed an increase in fuel economy by about 1mpg city. The only area that can be a bugaboo is the gasket seal to the uppipe and/or the EGT probe seat into the new uppipe. As I remember, you are going to have a shop install for you (?). I have a problem w/my EGT probe working itself loose and popping out of the uppipe. It's happened 3x's. I do have a bad seat on it. I'm going to do the resistor mod this weekend which should take care of it. Despite this, I still recommend the Stage 0 and am looking forward to the Stage 1. Check out Vishnu's site. It's been updated w/Stage 1 and 2 pkg descriptions. :-)

Stephen
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    7 minutes for atwo mile commute? Just hop on a bike and you'll get there quicker! Walking wouldn't be bad either...

-B
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahhaahhahahaha

good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    No ill effects I hope..
  • sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    My front passenger-side window on the Rex squeaks whenever I roll it down--I have to get it all the way down and then back up to eliminate the noise. It's the rubber at the bottom, I know, but have others had this (minor) problem? It doesn' t happen with any of the other windows. Is it something I should ask my dealer about, since I'll be taking the car in for an oil change soon?

And Stoner420--I had the fiance stand outside during a road trip and listen for the turbo...He said yeah, you can tell when the turbo kicks in, but it's more like a high-pitched roar (whine?). Anyway I don't care and still love the car...

--sonya4
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    My '03 does the same thing. Definitely tell the dealer about it. In the WRX Wagon wrap-up in Automobile mag., that's the only thing the had to get repaired.

-Dennis
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    MY02 did the same thing. I just picked up my car from the dealer this morning about the windows issus. Go there and they will take care of it. It took less than 1 hour for them to fix.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wipe it down with a damp towel. All the pollen and dust on the window basically ends up on the rubber seals, which act like a squeejee (sp?) to lift off all the gunk.

I like the turbo whistle, that's how I'd describe it.

-juice
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Just want to say hello and tell all you WRX owners what cool cars you have (but you already know that). I wasn't a big fan of the WRX styling when it came out (styling is so subjective anyway). The Bug Eye headlights were a little too much for me and the rear end styling was a little to bland for my tatses. I admired and respected the drivetrain. The Turbocharged Flat 4 coupled with AWD seems like a great combination.

My one wish would be to make a sunroof available on the WRX sedan.

The styling on the WRX has grown on me. I think it looks great in Black with a spoiler. The Blue is nice too, I just see too many of them. I like the silver as well.

I recently saw pictures of the Euro STI in Motor Trend. I think the headlights look a little better, but I hope they stick with the current styling for a few more years.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Allegedly, the face-lifted Impreza will debut at the Paris Motor show next week.

If you don't like the look, rush out and get an '03! :-)

-Dennis
    I'm definitely not in the market for a new car right now, just an enthusiast. I recently (4/27/02) purchased a leftover 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH. I believe it is one of the last ones ever produced with a build date of 10/01.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

A rare front-driver with a nice differential to manage torque distribution. Congrats.

-juice

• jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Can any of you tell me of a WRX magazine, one with lots of ads in it? Do you know of any re-body kits on the market? I recently finished with a Miata that ended up very "Italian" and am looking for a new project. Not interested in spoilers, dams, etc., but an honest re-body.

Thanks.

Go Bluejays.
    Joe W.
  • sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    for the responses about the window squeak. I'll talk to my dealer about it.

nyccarguy--I had a '93 Prelude, and I loved that car...but I love the WRX more! Enjoy!

--sonya4
    Sport Compact Car usually has a few ads for the WRX.
    Not sure about body info. You can start by searching the "Dress-Up & Style" forum of i-club.com.

-Dennis
    You got pics of that Miata, out of curiosity?

-juice, who owns a Forester and a Miata
    I remember following you in the Forester board -- right before my wife bought one -- and in the Miata board -- right after you bought one. Hope all is well.

Yeah, well mine has been sold. Lost a ton on it of course and no, no digital camera. I found the parts at the classified section of Miata.net, and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. But it turned out good ... the front end especially made it look like a little Ferrari. (though it never sounded like it!!!) Sorry, I forget the manufacturer, but it was often in the mags and on Miata.net about the time you were getting yours.

Good to see you!

I'm trying to find out if such a thing -- of any type -- has been designed for the WRX. I figure I'll know more the next time. (my wife says if I knew anything....etc.)

Go Bluejays.
    Joe W.
    Go Terps! Can't wait 'til hoops start again.

I have yet to see a re-bodied WRX. Well, if you don't count the Chevy Borrego. ;-)

-juice
    1. THE SUNROOF OPTION FOR WRX IS ALREADY IN THE MARKET. I'VE SEEN A LOT OF THEM

2. WHAT IS THIS STORY OF THE FACE-LIFTED WRX.? IS THE 03 MODEL DIFFERENT FROM THEACTUAL CAR. IF SO, WHERE CAN I SEE SOME PICS. THX
    Tough to read and makes it seem like your shouting.

Anyhow...to your question about the 03's. There is a new color; Sonic Yellow, a lighted ignition key ring and that's about it.

The regular Imprezas now get the same dual vanity mirrors that the WRX has had all along.

Stephen
    Guys, I apologize for the caps. That's what i call "lapsus tontus" I started writing the title in caps without paying attention the message was too.
    Just thought of an idea in pursuit of rebody kits -- when I bought the Forester you recommended a company and I bought some things: something like Darlene at QSubaru. Do you still have that info? Or am I having another "blonde moment"?

Thanks.

Go Bluejays.
    Joe W.
    Next week the Paris Auto Show is supposed to be unveiling the new facelifted Impreza (i.e. mainly the headlights). Lots of Photoshopped pictures are floating around (Rumor Forum of i-club.com).

People are actually getting pretty nuts about it. They're finding three year old artist concept pictures of the current WRX and posting them as the redesign.
    The thinking is it will be the '04 model in N. America.
    The closest we came to a confirmation of this was the General Manager of Subaru Australia admitting to the redesign in Aussie newspapers.

-Dennis
    I know the sunroof is an option on the WRX wagon, but not the sedan. I remember reading somewhere that the sunroof on the sedan significantly jepordizes the structural rigidity of the WRX sedan.

Not an option on the sedan or wagon. :-)

One guy in Long Island and a small one installed in his sedan. It was put in front of the roof cross beam (or whatever it's called). The front of it came past the visors though.

-Dennis
    I've seen them on an awful lot of wagons...are they all aftermarket?

I don't think those moonroofs were factory options, maybe dealer installed. I have an ASC aftermarket roof done by an ASC certified shop.

But aftermarket can be better than OE - lifetime warranty vs. just 3 years, plus I have one-touch open/close/tilt, plus programmable to close or not close when you remove the key. Beat that! :-)

QSubaru? Haven't been asked that in a while. The owner was deeply in debt and Subaru stopped shipping stuff to them. Darlene had to withdraw her web site. I really, really miss her.

But try parts@libertysubaru.com, they're the next best thing.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You can get it over there and it's very very similar to the one on the car in LI. Basically any roof you put on, wether it be the wagon or the sedan, needs to be wedged between the A and B pillar beams. The LI one looks great in person and for $225 installed you can't go wrong.

-mike
    That's gotta be a pop-up for that price. Still, that's a screaming bargain.

I paid $295, plus $70 to have my roof rails (which Imprezas don't have) cut shorter and reinstalled, for my pop up.

Our power moonroof was $895.

-juice
  • pbaldypbaldy Member Posts: 15
    I seem to remember seeing a post where someone put a screen of some sort above the intercooler. Can't find it with a search. Can anybody point me? I'd like to do it to mine.

Thanks!
    Paul
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    I had it bookmarked since I also asked about it. The discussion goes on from there. Also if you want to dish out some big bucks, here's one.

http://shopatmastro.com/power_intercooler_shield.html

Good luck!

Depends how fancy you want to get.

There's this bug screen:

http://www.mastrowrx.com/ (scroll toward the bottom)

I just replaced the screen on the front door of my house. I had some leftover so I cut it to fit the intercooler. Paid $6.00 for enough to repair the door and about 4 intercooler screens. :-)

I've also seen some pretty crafty screens at i-club meets. Including using thicker screen on the hood scoop.

-Dennis

• pbaldypbaldy Member Posts: 15
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for (I'm the window screen material from Home Depot type). They need a good search engine here. Their search only seems to look at discussion titles. 600 miles on the odo, right foot starting to get twitchy!

Paul
    Can somebody explain how to insert a pic in the message box?
  • dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    Use ALUMINUM window replacement screen.
    One roll is a lifetime supply. :)

Cut it approx. 5 7/8" x 16 3/4", you can use scissors or paper cutter for this.

It will fit right on top of the fin area. The boot on the hood scoop will hold it in place.

I've had mine on my WRX Sedan for about 3 months, works great!

Keeps the bugs out of the fins, and doesn't restrict air flow since the open area of the screen is greater than the scoop opening.

Cheap and effective!

Happy driving!

Ken

P.S. My road trip was canceled due to an illness in the family. Everybody's OK now, we just have to pay hospital bills instead of hotel bills. :) Will try again later!
    This is how subies look in the tropics. I´ve seen a lot (of 02-03 sedans)with sunroof. I don´t know why this option isn´t available in US.

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Take a look at this post which is in the Photo Gallery discussion in the Owners Club (see link at the top of this page to get to the Club discussion list): KarenS "Subaru Crew: Photo Gallery" Jan 31, 2001 11:53am.

Please remember that you must own the picture in order to use this method to display it. If you don't own it, you may certainly post a link, but you may not use the img src tags to display it.

I hope this makes sense -- feel free to email me if you have questions.
  • yehamanyehaman Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2002 silver WRX last November. Currently, have over 30,000 miles on it. I have had no problems and usually run about 100mph on the highways in the Northeast. Run it hard every time, and there's always a smile on my face. I love messing with the exotics, the owners usually don't know how to drive them. Police are clueless, I hardly get a second look, even running through a speedtrap at 80. See you all on the twisty's, backroads, and the highways!! oh, upgrade your electronics, and tires from aftermarket companies. It's better quality, better performance, and less money! :)
  • theandymantheandyman Member Posts: 8
    Hi everybody. Don't know if anybody would be interested, but tire rack is closing out Yokohama's AVSI summer tires. You can get 225/50R16 tires (fit just fine on the stock rims) for $60 each. I have a set on my Miata (not my WRX yet) and I like them a lot. Happy Driving everybody.

Objects in the mirror are closer than they app... oops, disappeared again

Andy
    Awsome tires. I bought a set of those for my SVX in that size which is the stock size for my car. So far so good but tore up the fronts pretty bad @ auto-x. :(

-mike
    1. Any reasons why the sunroof is not a factory option in US
    2. Europe, Japan and other countries have the option
  • yehamanyehaman Member Posts: 2
    I want to add rallye lights for my WRX. I am considering; Hella Ralleye 3000 in blue, PIAA 80 racing clear driving lights, or IPF 960 Super rally driving lights. Has anyone installed any of these or does anyone have a suggestion? I will appreciate all your responses! Thanks in advance. The sunroof is not an option due to structual reasons, and Subaru say's that it will void all warrenties if installed aftermarket. :( It can be done though, there is a shop in Mass that will do it.:)
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Whoever told you that is the southern end of a north bound horse! Your warranty claim can only be rejected if the modification you made can be reasonably identified as the source of the problem. Now if you believe that SOA could reasonably argue that the reason your transmission blew up is the aftermarket sunroof you had installed, then you may want to hold off.
    - Hutch
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Cool! That will probably be my next tire! Not ready to buy new rims anyway (other financial priorities).
    and 225 tires are probably not a good idea. Just a thought. heck on my 7.5" I didn't want to go to a 245 tire due to rim width reasons.

-mike
    I think that they don't offer the factory roof on the US ones because it is TINY and most americans would probably laugh at it. It's small because it needs to fit between the A and B pillar x-beams.

As for warranty, they can't deny all warranty claims, but anything having to do with leaks, or body integrity would be fair game IMHO.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.