Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My buddy put on a great set of Hella FF300s from Susquehana Motorsports http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/index.htm they work great and fit in the bumper w/o too much effort.

-mike

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    is the same one used on Legacy GT sedans and Bajas. So, size is not an issue. Marketing is...

Bob
    the WRX moonroof is much smaller and goes on the outside rather than inside. Doesn't cut the B pillar beam, unless you have more info than I.

The RS roof is the same as the SVX, but those 2 are different than the ones in the GT sedans.

-mike
    << the WRX moonroof is much smaller and goes on the outside rather than inside. >>

The Legacy GT and Baja also have very small moonroofs. I haven't seen any pixs of the Japanese WRX with the moonroof open, so I don't know if it opens inside or outside.

IIRC, the last-generation RS's sunroof opened to the outside, and it was popular. So, whether it opened inside or outside, shouldn't be a problem, in terms of popularity.

Bob
    but the WRX one from the japan pics, looks significantly wider but shorter(f<->r) than the Baja and GT sedan ones.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    mike: did you heat cycle those tires? You gotta go through a few warm-up/cool-down cycles before driving them that hard.

-juice
    So heat cycling won't help, but I did drive them about 200-300 miles before auto-xing them. They wore about the same as the ones I ran on the XT6 on auto-x.

-mike
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    With that beam across the ceiling of the WRX the sunroof would have to roll outside and would be tiny. That is a adequate description of the sunroof in the previous generation RS. (My wife's car that is.) Due to the external rollout the last 4" or so at the back of the opening is covered. Add to that the fact she bought the plastic sunroof deflector and another 4" or so at the fron is covered. All in all there is only about 6" of area that is truly open to the sky. Be carefull what you wish for...
    TWRX
  • theandymantheandyman Member Posts: 8
    225/50R16 tires do fit on the stock rims. I've been running that size with Kumho 712s for about 8000 miles w/no problems. It turns out they are exactly the same diameter as the stock size. The wide tread gives them an aggressive look and good protection from curbs etc also.

Andy
    Any sun/moonroof is better than no sun/moonroof, no matter how small, IMO.

Bob
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    all I need to say is damn.....and it's harder to peel your head off the headrest
    You obviously aren't pushing your car hard enough, with 225s on a 6.5" rim you must have some massive pinching of them, which would lead to rollover and all kinds of other problems in performance situations. Then again the Kumho 712s aren't exactly great tires so it's probably no big deal, but yes you can physically mount em on there (probably on 5.5inch wide rims too) but it's definitely not optimal by any stretch of the imagination.

-mike
    the STi has 225/45x17 tires mounted on 17"x7.5" rims. My guess is that if you're going to go with a 225 size, especially with a lower profile, to go with at least a 7" rim, or better still, a 7.5" rim.

Bob
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Who installed it? Did you do other mods?

-Dennis
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    It wasn't my car....it was my friend's car.

Got the uppipe (watch out for the EGT sensor falling out) and down pipe (now running with 1 cat) done earlier.

A manual boost controller stabilized the boost (whereas the boost was bouncing around), which as transferred to the new turbo after the test run.

Fuel injectors and fuel pump are coming later (soon).

turbochargers.com has a pretty good deal, about $600 with the core exchange.
    Yeah, watch out for the [non-permissible content removed] problem. Stephen had some issues with that. :-)

-Dennis
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    The EGT falling out problem, that is. I screwed in a 12x120 bolt to the "[non-permissible content removed]" where the EGT probe resided. I threaded a nut down the bolt to the outside of the the [non-permissible content removed] as well. I placed a 2.2 ohm resistor into the connection where the probe plugged into the ECU. Seems to have done the trick. BTW, the probe was already loose since I last tightened it last Monday.

Stephen
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Ran 215s on 6.5" rims before and it dramatically improved handling and stability of the car.
  • potenzauspotenzaus Member Posts: 29
    From experience I wouldn't go with that setup. You will feel the tires to wander because they flex too much (tires too wide for the rims) espcially at high speed (70mph+). Although they feel great during cornering no wonder its good for autocrossing. But for freeway driving the car doesn't feel very stable (stock RE92 205/55/16 felt more stable).
    For auto-x you want to have as little side wall flex as possible. That's why a lot of people run close to 50psi in their tires! Widest rims you can get are optimal for auto-x.

-mike
  • atluskaneatluskane Member Posts: 22
    How do you think the g35 would compare with the wrx in performance? I'm not talking about dropping the clutch but just from a standstill, stomp on the gas at the green light sort of thing
    The G35 has been timed quicker and slower. I have seen G35 times from 7.3 to 6.1 seconds for the 0-60.

the Auto Wagon was timed at 6.7 by Road and Track.

Handling - G35 has been rated between 0.86 (Road and Track - W/ Sports package) to 0.80 (C&D without Sports package)
    - WRX has been rated for the sedan between 0.81gs (C&D) to 0.84 gs (R&T) with 16" 205s and 0.83 gs (C&D) to 0.87 gs (R&T) with the 17" tires.

Quarter mile - the G35 and the WRX both vary.

Top speed - G35 -145 mph (governor limited), WRX - 140 (governor limited) - both C&D magazine.

Not sure about slolom, but would guess that the WRX is probably more nimble due to size, weight, and reports from magazines.

- Upgradeability for performance - Huge advantage to the WRX. For the price difference, can use that money to make a 350Z fighter on the WRX (actually, the WRX would be slightly faster with upgrades due to weight issues).

- Anything else?
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    No governor on the WRX except for automatics...
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    In a 'street start' on dry pavement, the auto G35 would win but once the WRX turbo spools up, it will catch and then pass the G35. You'll experience exactly the same result against that old, blue haired lady in her LS400, who is running late for her bridge game. ;)
    the restyled Impreza (has anybody not seen it yet!?), just introduced at the Paris Auto Show, here's the Subaru Global Web Site. This site can be accessed via the Subaru of Japan site, also.

Bob

http://www.subaru-global.com/topics/ms/paris2002/top.html

• dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    "No governor on the WRX except for automatics"

That's strange, my 5spd WRX sedan tops out about 7200rpm. Don't know exactly, but it sure loses interest about then. :) Only did that one time, by accident. It just kinda chokes. So, it must have a rev limiter of some sort. (maybe they made mine special, because they knew who was going to drive it.) Hehe!

Ken
  • guttata1guttata1 Member Posts: 6
    Rev limiters and speed governors are two different things. Rev limiters keep you from damaging the engine by exceeding a certain RPM (almost every car I can think of has one) - speed governors restrict you from going beyond a certain speed.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    yep, what Jeff said...people have done 140-146 in their WRXs, it is somewhat drag-limited by its shape.
  • dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    So... When did they change the name of a governor to rev limiter? It sounds like both, really do the exact same thing, they limit the rpm's the engine turns, right? Whether it's to protect the engine or limit the speed of the car, it's still the same difference, isn't it? I know that some small engines had what according to the parts book was called a governor, it's a small mechanical counter-weighted device that limits the rpm's. I know how that works, because I accidently put one in backwards one time, (that's not a good idea, do not try that at home!) :)
    It operated off the cam shaft (inside) the engine. Before that, I had always thought that a governor was something attached to the (outside) of the engine which just basically limited the throttle linkage or something. (Maybe whoever wrote the parts book, put in the wrong name, and that's how I got messed up.) I don't know for sure.

Now you have to understand, that was 15-20 years ago or longer. And I know things change, but am I that far out of it?

Maybe I've been in the woods too long. :) Hopefully, somebody can straighten me out on this??

Ken
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    About a week away from upgrading my wrx to vishnu stage 0. Once again, I ask if anyone on this board ahs first hand experience with vishnu or turbo xs stage 1. There is, i recall, only one member who has responded to my previous posts (barre2)? and i am lloking for some more input. I really want to hear from people who have purchased the vishnu or turbo xs or at least driven in a friend's car. i already know they are well-respected with good reputations.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    The governor is based on the vehicle's absolute speed, calculated by revs and gear selected. For instance, it may cut the vehicle's throttle at far less than redline. For example, in my father's car, it will limit the speed to 120MPH, far less than it is capable of at redline in fifth gear. This is done by ECU programming.

In a lot of cars, one mod many people do is reprogram the ECU for more power and at the same time, they deprogram the speed limiter (without affecting the rev limiter). This is a common mod for my Audi.
    As I recall, there were a few folks here that said there would absolutely not be a redesign.

Care to comment now? :-)

Neil - Have you searched on the i-club for more input? I think there are a few that post in our local forum (Tri-State) that have it.

-Dennis
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    You'll get mpre info on aftermarket tuner mods, including Visnu, on i-club (www.i-club.com). Many modified WRXs there.
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    Ok

1. When is gonna be available the redesigned subie wrx ? 2003 or 2004.

2. Bet nobody knows

3. For sure Europe before US
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    It will debut early-midway through the 2003 calendar year as a 2004 model. 2003's are already out.

I believed the restyle would happen. It is right on schedule actually. It's not uncommon for a refreshening two years into the product cycle (we, in America, get it two model years later). My 94 Accord had new taillights in '96.
    This is a fresh news release from the Paris auto show. This is not just a facelift. I'm speechless.

" Subaru Introduces a New Impreza for 2003"

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), announced the New Impreza for Europe at the Paris Auto Salon 2002.

The Impreza is the model that is developed to be the base car for vehicles participating in the World Rally Championship (WRC). It is also the model that incorporates the most know-how necessary for competing in the WRC. The excellent balance is created by the low centre of gravity, Horizontally-Opposed Engine and the laterally symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) layout dramatically improves the overall driving performance required in winning rally cars and is the core for all other advances made.

In order to progress well in the WRC, the New Impreza being announced is the model with the greatest current potential as a WRC base car mainly due to the reduction of air resistance and the optimisation of car balance.

The most distinctive feature is the aggressively designed exterior. Complete pursuit of the functionality required for achieving WRC success, the use of a new front bumper, headlamps and a large rear spoiler have enhanced aerodynamic performance; this, together with the muscular front fenders, has arrived at an individualistic and refined look. Also, the feeling of interior quality has been improved through the use of all new seat upholstery and by changing the colour scheme of the centre console panel.

From the viewpoint of safety, in addition to every possible device to protect the passengers, the protection of pedestrians has also been incorporated by changing the shapes of the front bonnet and bumpers whilst also using crushable wipers.

Major Changes in the New Impreza

* Exterior design that improves the aerodynamics as a WRC base car.

* A power train and chassis that provide improved driving performance.

* Strengthened safety countermeasures that take into consideration the protection of both the driver and pedestrians.

* The feeling of quality of the interior has been improved by making changes in the materials and colour scheme.

The complete news release is available at: http://www.subaru-global.com/topics/ms/paris2002/imprza.html

Ok

1. When is gonna be available the redesigned subie wrx ? 2003 or 2004.

2. Bet nobody knows

3. For sure Europe before US
    For instance on the GM SUVs it cuts the gas @ 92mph no matter what the tach reads. That is an example of a speed limiter

A rev-limiter cuts the gas when you hit redline, no matter what the speed is. Rev limiters are not usually apparent in automatics because the tranny TCU will automatically upshift the car if you hit redline, hence the speed limiter used in most ATs.

-mike
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    The automatic WRXs have a speed limiter that cuts in at 130mph. The 5spd WRXs have no speed limiter but do have a rev limiter (believe me, once you bump up against this you know it!). You can hit the rev limiter in all gears at redline like Mike said in the post before me. The top speed for the wagon is a bit slower than the sedan at about 140 - 143mph. The sedan has a couple more mphs due to a bit better aerodynamics.

Stephen
    I liked the G35, too, but for a few notable flaws:

* ugly rear styling (the coupe is much better)
    * auto only for now, though a manual is coming
    * interior about Nissan grade, not Infiniti/luxury grade
    * major price creep when you ad options

For $27k is a screaming bargain, but add a few common options and you're well into the 30s competing in the major leagues with some big boys that'll offer far better resale and a true luxury name plate.

Interesting that Subaru will still be selling the bug eyes for almost another year. I wonder if sales will be weak while people hold out for the face lift, they showed it so early!

-juice
    Thanks for correcting me on the Governed speed though.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Yeah, for some reason Nissan just doesn't know how to style rears very well.

I'm sure we'll see a slowdown in WRX sales in anticipation of the facelifted version. It might be a great time to bargain shop!

Ken
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    New materials in the WRX? Oh, I'm listening now...cool. The new headlights are fine, but better interior materials is very interesting.
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    yeah, spring should be a great time to get a killer deal on the bug eyes. If you're not waiting for an STi :)
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Any moving part if install the front upper strut bar on 02WRX? Any brand suggest, thank you.
  • smazzy4smazzy4 Member Posts: 16
    a wrx sedan in austin tx? I know that there's a 3% dealer holdback so I'm looking at invoice or below.
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Best I've seen is $22.3k for a sedan here in MD.

-juice
    Is there any difference between the 04 model engine and the model 03 engine. I´ve read is a 7 hp difference. Besides power increase is there any other non cosmetic change?
    and better low-end power (less turbo lag) from what I've read. That additional 7 hp is for European models; don't know if that will be true here.

Bob
    I kinda doubt it'll get more power. Doesn't the current Euro version make 215hp? So they're getting 222, I wouldn't assume that we'd get a similar upgrade.

Especially with the STi rumored to get 251hp or so in the US Market. It has to be distinct, and it's all about the power. That's not much of a difference to begin with, if the standard WRX gets more power it'll be almost negligable.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.