Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• vsamvsam Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know if the new impreza will have an interference or noninterference engine. the reason i ask is, if the timing belt snaps, am i looking at costly repairs for an interference engine, or in the case of a non-interference engine, just the cost for labor and parts for a timing belt.
  • sajohnsonsajohnson Member Posts: 48
    To answer your question, I think I may be outside of Subaru's target demographic. I'm 39 (40 in July) and male. I usually feel much younger-does that count?!

More importantly, I've been into cars since I was too young to drive. I subscribe to C+D, R+T, MT, etc. I'm always looking for a great 'bang for the buck' deal and the WRX is the best I've seen in quite a while. I've wanted an AWD vehicle for a long time. I couldn't fit in the Eagle/Eclipse/Laser cars so I ended up with a Nissan NX2000. It's been a great ride for over 7 years and 175,000 miles and counting but I can't wait for my WRX!
    Good question! My guess is that with only 8:1 compression, the pistons and valves would have clearance in the event of a broken timing belt. But--no warranty expressed or implied!

I would contact Subaru directly. If you get an answer please let everyone know.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    21, Male, and yes Subaru is targeting a Male audience...

sajohnson: Yes, im implying that the 1/4 mile is between 14.5 and 14.1, and sorry about the typo :P

lisac: Dont EVER go to Stevens Creek! They are the worst Subaru Dealership IN THE WORLD!!!
  • bedabibedabi Member Posts: 149
    This site has little clips (apparently from Japan) of the WRX drag racing the Altezza, Accord and the Sylvia. I'm assuming the WRX in the clips are Japan-spec WRXs, but it'll no doubt give you goose bumps watching. Go to the "special" link on the homepage after the flash intro.

http://www.subaru-impreza.com

• intrigue3intrigue3 Member Posts: 15
    Bedabi-

Pretty impressive clips. Very impressive, actually. I am not versed in this sort of driving, despite driving a turbo charged car now, but how does this car take off so quickly, without spinning its wheels? How high do the RPM's get prior to launch, and do you actually "pop" this clutch? If so, isn't that detrimental to the mechanism?

Thanks
  • glittle6glittle6 Member Posts: 1
    A local dealer just called @0930 Monday, the truck is at the store and unloading 4 non-sold models. Two silver,one yellow with many options added-on and a blue wagon. I'm off to test drive. It's even raining out today!
  • patchin1patchin1 Member Posts: 9
    I must say that they are the most clueless and obnoxious bunch of @$$holes I've ever met in any dealership across the country. I stopped by about a month ago to have my Isuzu serviced (same dealership). Out of disbelief/disgust I asked about that MSRP+$3000 sticker on a Legacy GT wagon. The guy said:"Well, we love our cars so we don't want to sell them cheaply...do you want to buy it or not?"
    I can't imagine how much mark up they'd put on a WRX! I won't know first hand because I am getting mine from another dealer and I will not step in Steven Creek Subaru again!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tom: as a long-time Forester vs. CR-V debater, it was fun to read your post.

I prefer the manual tranny, of course, but let's not criticize Subaru for offering the choice. Plus, the auto sends 55% of the power to the rears. Nothing wrong with that!

Gotta call my dealer. See if they have any yet!

-juice
  • glinski1glinski1 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up the WRX wagon on saturday, and its incredibly fast. I ordered the upgreaded speakers and the sub and I could't beleve the quality, being an audiofile I'm very picky, yet I couldn't see any reason for further upgrades. The only thing that pisses me off is that the door are not very keen to closing properly. Almost always I have to shut them 2 or three times. the seats are comfortable and very well bolstered. Its well worth the money.
    I'm a bit of an audiophile myself but did not order the upgrade because I hadn't read any reviews and I was under the impression that the sub and speakers could be added at any time. Is that true? Hope I didn't make a mistake.
    Well, how about sharing driving impressions? Sounds like fun...

-juice
  • ottosottos Member Posts: 80
    glinksi, could you talk more about the stereo? I am wondering if I shuld get the upgrades, or get aftermarket. I was thinking of putting a good aftermarket amplifier (sony eqx) first. Then when the speakers wear out, I'll get new ones.I have heard that, in general, the amplifier is one of the best upgrades you can make because although factory speakers are decent, the amp that drives them is not very good at all. So that makes the amp the most efficient upgrade (biggest increase in sound quality for the money).
  • glinski1glinski1 Member Posts: 5
    I had heard the Bose stereo in the 2001 Maxima, and I thought it sounded like [non-permissible content removed], the bass wasn't "tight" and it sounded cheap. The WRX is really clean even when cranked. The cost of the upgrade and the sub ~340 dollars is cheap, you will not be able to match it with an aftermarket system (installation, amp, speakers..).

Before this car I drove a 92' Buick LaSabre (yes, a Buick I'm afraid) and I had put in a 1200 dollar stereo audio sys. and I like the Subaru's sound better.

As for driving impressions, I had driven fast cars before and I considered myself a fairly good driver, but I'm still learning how to hold this car down. I think that a new set of tires will be a must, I have the stock Potenzas, on a Silver Wagon.

Overall: It the coolest piece of engineering, bad [non-permissible content removed] car. Excuse my enthusiasms.
  • outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    To answer who is going to buy these cars, here is what Subaru thinks:

Male 65%
    age 25-49 (many sub 25 guys have come in looking for them, but most don't have the $$$)
    income 60K+
    college educated
    active lifestyle
    probably own a sport sedan now.
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    To be honest, I would have thought the male % to be even higher ... 80% or so. I guess I fit their target demographic, though ... funny how that works!
  • rickcruzinrickcruzin Member Posts: 3
    How do you think the wagon compares to the sedan? Also, please advice on the purchase price if you can. I'm from the Bay Area,CA, and debating on what to buy. Thanks.
    Saw 6 today!

Oh boy are these sweet cars in person! SOOO much better than I expected, especially the interior! They still FEEL like an impreza on the inside, but the materials are 10x better! The cloth on the seats actually feels like Suede... Nice touch!

As for colors... I actually liked the Silver least in person. White was much better in person, same with rally blue. But Black was the sleekest and most impressive!

As for the Wagon vs. Sedan, the fender flares are really nice but the extra space in the wagon is equally as nice! whatever floats your boat :)
  • rockribbedrockribbed Member Posts: 44
    I asked Autobytel to give me a quote on a Wagon. The dealership called and said they would order one for me for $1000 over MSRP! Told the dealer (Shelor Motor Mile in SC VA) that I wouldn't pay $1000 over retail for ANY car! Anybody had any good experience? I've 30 - 60 days away from doing anything...
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    ...at the bottom end in terms of age, income and current vehicle. I'm not drooling as much as some people here though, =) Earliest I'll be seriously looking will be this time next year.

-Beanboy
    I think demographics are fun, too. Here is what Auto Pacific had for the previous Impreza (all models):

59% female
    49% single
    45 median age
    46% college grads
    51.5k median income

I'm sure the RS had more males, about 80% from what I've seen at local meets. The WRX will be at least 80% male, mostly married, and very affluent (more college educated and much higher income).

Price is a big factor. Going from a $16k Impreza L to a WRX makes a huge difference in demographics.

-juice
    I think I'm drooling sufficiently enough that I'm driving my wife crazy. I'm not really planning to buy a new car until this fall, but maybe if I drive my wife crazy enough she'll let me get it sooner. The only thing I'm worried about is the seating position ... I'm about 6'3" or 6'4".

I still haven't decided on wagon or sedan, either, but don't really need the wagon since my wife has an SUV ... but I guess the extra space is nice to have!

I'm looking so forward to driving one ... I called the nearest dealership yesterday and he said they are expecting 25 in on the first shipment, but 24 are sold! I hope I can drive the one that isn't!

I'm also happy with the fact that I don't have to spend $30,000+ to get a car this cool. I was looking at the 3-series BMW and some other cars, but why should I spend all that extra money?
    You gotta try it. Anyone that tall will either fit or they won't. Plus, everyone is shaped differently.

-juice
  • bouldewrxbouldewrx Member Posts: 6
    I'm 6'4" and finally sat in a WRX at the Denver Auto Show last weekend (disclaimer: after having already ordered a wagon sight unseen). It's wonderful! Good legroom (one of the few cars of any size in which I don't have to adjust the seat to the end of its travel to get a good driving position), very supportive seats, and more headroom than any other car I sat in at the show (I skipped the Beetle and all the disgusting SUVs). The one obvious downside is that with the driver's seat in position for me, no one with a greater than 30" inseam is going to like riding in the seat behind me.

BTW, I compared the WRX closely with A4/S4, Golf, and Passat, the three vehicles which offer similar capacity and capability. The Passat has more room but a less comfortable fit, with a somewhat awkward reach to the wheel; the Golf is unusable for me, with throughly inadequate leg room and an awkward mismatch between wheel and shift lever placement; the A4/S4 is closest in size and fit, very comfortable and confidence inspiring, though a bit tighter overall than the WRX. If money were no issue (either for purchase or maintenance), I would be sorely tempted by the S4 Avant.

Definitely try it, but be prepared to like it a lot. For big guys, I think the WRX is the most comfortable sporty small car made (well, okay, I might have to make an exception for the S2000, but I can't figure out how to haul a dog and skis up a snowy road in one).
  • deangeideangei Member Posts: 11
    I was waiting for this car for at least one year... i was hoping to get something powerfull and comfortable... yeah, it's powerfull, but the rest!!! NO SUNROOF!!!no climate control...my last two cars(mr2 and 240sx) both had sunroof and i cant stand cars without it... how much would the custom sunroof cost?!? that won't let me lease it, i'd have to buy it though... this sucks too...
    I put an aftermarket ASC moonroof in mine for $300, but it's a pop-up, not a powered one. Those were $900 (ASC power roof, lifetime warranty).

I paid an extra $70 to cut the roof rails short, but the WRX does not have those.

While there is a brace from B-pillar to B-pillar, my Forester has the same brace and they did it for no extra cost. They add bracing with the roof for structural integrity.

2 years later no leaks or creaks. Highly recommended.

-juice
    Well, WRX with power roof for $900 more is fine with me... but climat control bothers me... the next cheapest car with climat control, awd and powerfull is S4... or A6 2.7T, which is even more expensive... funny that 330xi is more expensive than S4 with same options... just one simple option: no climate control for me... and i'm tired of manual settings on my 240sx... custom climate control?!? :)
    btw, anyone heard of or sit in Jaguar X-type?!? they promice awd and 3.0 225hp engine... base price with 2.5l engine is under 30K!!!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Deangei, read Car & Driver's review of the WRX - based on your wish list, I'd say this car isn't for you... especially if the upcoming Jaguar X Type rings your bell. You'd be better off not trying to make the WRX into something it's not - it's mission is performance above all else.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    It's a PERFORMANCE car... not a LUXURY PERFORMANCE CAR!!! HELLO!!!

I HATE auto climate control... just one more thing to break. How hard is it to run a dial? My goodness...
    IMHO climate control seems like something rather minor to keep you from buying a car. It doesn't really add anything you can't do yourself manually (and better).

That Jag sounds good on paper. It's Mondeo-based, which is probably how they kept the price down.

Seems like you're looking at luxury cars, though. The WRX may not be the right car for your tastes.

-juice
    Well, i'm looking for performance first of all, but i'm also looking for the rest of the package... i dont want to finance S4, i won't be able to lease it, credit history is not that good, but leasing WRX would do...
    No one test drove it anyway, i want to be able to compare it with S4...if it'll be close, i'll get WRX, if not-well..
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    The WRX strikes me as being the reincarnation of the original, E30 chassis BMW M3. That car was a racing car treated to a few creature comforts in order to make it into a street car suitable for daily use. Since it was a BMW, it attracted many of the "wrong" buyers - yuppies looking for a more exclusive 3-series. They didn't realize what they were buying, griped about the "noise" and "harsh ride", and ended up trading or selling their cars early. The good news is, the cars were then often snapped up by enthusiasts who understood what the M3 was designed for. In the same way, the WRX carries a few whistles and bells to make it palatable to the larger market, but its message is best received by true performance car nuts.
    I dunno, that M3 had some really rough edges. The WRX is surprisingly livable, at least in stock form.

It's kind of funny, but some i Club folks that currently own modified RSs felt it was too refined!

Nothing a few mods can't fix, not to mention the power you could unleash.

-juice
    Climate control? Thats only on the $30k LL Bean and VDC outback in the Subaru line. Heck, barely any cars under $30k have Climate control...

At least the seats feel like Suede, that should be some luxury for you :P
  • tisbe2tisbe2 Member Posts: 6
    On a hunch, I called the local Subaru dealer, Subaru of Morristown NJ. Asked if they had any WRX's. Yes, the truck just pulled in with the first shipment. 8 WRXs, 6 are sold. There is a silver sedan 5-speed and black sedan 5-speed that haven't sold. So the guy gives me a call back about an hour later and says he's got the black sedan is out front, would I like to drop by and take a look. About 10 minutes later I pull into the dealer and there it is.

I probably wouldn't go for black (impossible to keep clean), but I'm telling you, that is one cool looking car. Came with spoiler, armrest extension, upgraded speakers, carbon-fiber trim and rubber mats. They're selling them at MSRP which is right around $26K for this car.

I'm walking around the car looking it over, the guy walks out the door and makes a "want to take the car for a spin" gesture. (Uh - yes I believe I will, thanks.) WHAT - A - ROCKET! Acceleration is incredible. The handling is great, especially through curves.
    Driver's seat is very comfortable and supportive. The shifting is pretty tight and short, not much play there at all. You can really feel the engine through the shift knob.

We went around a few local roads, but at one point the road was blocked off and we had to head onto a highway, so I got to open it up a little. This car is really fast.
    The car had 2.6 miles when I got in and 8.2 after the test drive.

I also got a look at a silver sport wagon. The wagon looks pretty good. But after seeing both up close, I think the sedan looked a little better. Maybe it was the colors.

Another thing I noticed is that the headlights look way better in person than they do in pictures. Maybe the camera flash causes the lights to look more sparkly in the pictures, but they are very clean in person.

Now all I need to do is wait for my Tercel 4WD wagon to die. (Does 0-60 in about 20 seconds but you can't beat it in the snow...)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I went stopped by the Subaru dealer in Glen Burnie MD. (Wilkins), and they had one WRX there, but won't let any potential customer drive it.

You can scratch that dealer off my list.

Bob
    I hate dealers like that. Make sure they are not on the i Club's WRX friendly list.

That Tercel may not have enough torque to break traction! he he he :o)

Kidding, those are work horses.

-juice
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    before you can get a WRX then if you want to wait for your AWD tercel to die. Those cars last forever! Just like Scoobies.
  • tisbe2tisbe2 Member Posts: 6
    My wife drove that Tercel for 7 years, I drove it for another 6, now my teenage daughter has been driving it for a year. That thing is indestructible...
    If and when it does croak and I replace it with a new WRX, then I would have to let my daughter drive my MB 190E. What a dilemma...

Anyway that WRX test drive was 5 miles of fun fun fun. Congrats to anyone who's getting one.

Those sedans with the spoiler really look cool in person.
  • wregexwregex Member Posts: 8
    Hard to tell whether to love or hate the dealer. If it's pre-ordered, I'd say way to go dealer. I will throw a hissy fit if I find out my pre-ordered car had been test driven. If it's not pre-ordered, I'm ambivalent. It's bad for the car if it's red-lined or floored before it's broken in. But then how could you be expected to buy it if you can't even drive it sympathetically? At least that dealer sounds like he/she has a lot of respect for the WRX. That's a good thing.
    Teenager? Ah-hah! Maybe the Tercel has finally met its match. ;-)

-juice
  • dtech114dtech114 Member Posts: 21
    Well, I'll have my WRX sedan in May, but one of the first things I stressed to the e-commerce manager when doing the paperwork was that when my car arrived I absolutely positively DID NOT want ANYONE to test drive the vehicle. He reassured me that their standard procedure for sold order vehicles is to pull them off the truck and park them in a gated holding area until the customer comes to pick them up. Not even the sales guys can get to them. The only mileage put on them is maybe 2 additional while still on the lot (BIG lot...they sell other brands too) for performing the PDI and detailing. It NEVER leaves the lot. I was really happy to hear this, but it doesn't hurt to let them know what you want in advance. BTW I also stressed only Premium fuel and NO front license plate bracket to which he said no problem. We don't require front plates in Florida so no use having two holes put in the front bumber unnecessarily.

DTECH
  • kdabbeykdabbey Member Posts: 9
    I saw the blaze yellow WRX today--too bad they are all sold out they look the best I think. Does anyone think that the $3000 BBS wheels are worth it? They look cool but that is a lot of green...
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I haven't heard anyone on this board say they're worth it.

I think Subaru missed the boat with this call. In every other market, Europe, Asia, Australia, etc., the WRX gets 17" wheels standard. No, they're not the same BBS wheels, but they look great just the same.

Bob
    I'm lucky enough to have 5 dealerships within 20 minutes of me, so I found one that doesn't have his entire allotment sold! I'm going to get my first drive tomorrow evening ... I'll post if I survive!

I was kinda' hoping for a Blaze Yellow one, myself, but I don't think I'm going to wait until next year to get one!
  • kdabbeykdabbey Member Posts: 9
    Most sports sedans offer these and the performance is definitely improved on roads. I'd like to hear from people who have seen the BBS wheels on the WRX... What about good aftermarket wheels?
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    I see a few posts at i-club saying there are unsold yellows out there in dealer stock (I think they may all be manuals, but a few automatic yellow orders are bound to fall through). I also was under the impression that this was a special color for this year only, maybe they will make it darker if they do it again next year. I going to wait to see it in person before passing final judgement but I think it is still my favorite Subie color.

I can't believe the dealers are letting customers hammer on these zero mile cars for unserious test drives. They are full of below grade gas, have limited heat cycles on the motor, even the owners manual reccomends keeping RPM under 4K for the first 1000 miles. Maybe it's just me but I would never buy a high performance turbo car that had been test drove by probably every salesman on the lot, 3 lot boys, and 20 'potential' 21 year old customers. I'm sure thats the same thing the dealers are thinking by not allowing test drives until you are truely serious.
    I have to say I agree with #743/#750 on this one. I have a blue sedan on order and I made it VERY clear to the sales manager that I would refuse delivery if my WRX is 'test driven' by anyone. I have friends in the car business and I know how most vehicles are treated-the usual attitude is, "it's not my car". I plan to ride along with the PDI guy.

My guess is that Glen Burnie dealer knows that if he only has one WRX, it's worth more undriven. Once dealers begin to get more in, I imagine they will pick one to 'sacrifice' for test drives.
    I am serious about purchasing a WRX, but need to drive it first. I am not going to purchase a vehicle (ever) without being able to put it through a test drive. I am still considering other vehicles, as well, so I need to drive it.
    Normally I'd never buy a vehicle without a test drive first, but it's amazing how many friends have ordered WRXs sight-unseen. This may be the true exception.

BBS makes excellent wheels, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But 3 grand? Jeez!

Early Miatas had them, and they are worth more, even used. Stock rims weigh 12.3 lbs, but the BBS rims that were 1/2" wider weigh under 10 lbs.

It's just not worth that much, period. $1200 maybe, especially given you're giving up the 16" rims (which you could use for snow tires otherwise).

Go aftermarket. I'm sure you can find a quality rim for less than half that price.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.