Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    IMO, it just takes some experimenting with the adjustments. When I first picked up my Rex, I thought the Outback Sports seats I were used to were more comfortable. I played around with the seats almost daily until I found the right spot (I raised the seat slightly, even though I don't need to).
    Just took my first little trip (400 miles) and the seats felt great. I'll probably be making a 1200 mile trip by Spring (NJ to SC).

Right John. This ain't no easy chair. :-)

-Dennis
  • fxsfxs Member Posts: 50
    I currently own a Tahoe, LT1 Caprice Classic, and WRX sedan. I'm 5'10" 235lbs and the front seats in the WRX by far are more comfortable on longer trips (from New Mexico to NYC)than my Chevys. I was able to drive from NM to Birmingham 19-20 hours nonstop, without any butt pains that I have experienced in the Tahoe, Caprice, old 94 and 96 Z28s, 85 CRXsi, 96 Geo Prizm, and 91 Silverado Sport P/U. I can only manage 12 hours max in the Tahoe and Caprice before I check into a hotel for 8 hours of needed R&R.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I love the WRX seats. I guess everyone is shaped differently.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    The seats initially seamed uncomfortable, felt like I was sitting at an angle, the side bolsters seemed too narrow for my thighs, and the top was slightly too narrow for my shoulders.

After driving it a couple of months, I have gotten accoustomed to the seats. The top is just big enough for my shoulder blades, which makes it fine. My shoulders my jut out a little, but the support is there.

In terms of sitting at an angle, I adjust my torso once during the trip, and it is fine. Surprisingly, with the awkwardness of initially sitting in the seats they are very supportive and comfortable for long trips. Great back support.

Give it a couple of months, your body will adjust to the seats.
  • sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    Even though I'm petite, when driving short distances in the WRX I do get uncomfortable and seem to be sitting at an angle too, so I keep adjusting my torso. Strangely enough, I don't have the same problem on long trips!

My fiance, who's 6' tall, complains that the passenger seat is uncomfortable, but he doesn't complain when he's in the driver's seat. Hmm...maybe it's because he wants to do more of the driving himself :)

--sonya4
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I think you're onto something...LOL!

Stephen
    On an interesting note, went to an ammusement park and while riding the roller coasters, kept thinking back to driving the WRX. Sort of a similiar feeling except you do not bounce around as mucb as you do in a rollercoaster.

Sonya - Interesting about him complaining about the rear seats. My dad who is 5'10" thought the rear was comfortable.
  • lippoldslippolds Member Posts: 39
    I drove another WRX and the seat felt much better then my car. This confirmed my concerns about my seat. When I originally test drove a different one, I never noticed the seat feeling wrong. The dealer manager said he would swap the seat for me (he probably thinks I am nuts) but at least I will be happy!
    Really? Great to hear that. I'm glad you pushed for it, and that the dealer was responsive!

-juice
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Over the past 3 months I have been looking for a commuter car that would get better gas mileage that my V-10 Excursion. Looked at anything from the Mini-Cooper to a Hybrid car. Then I saw the WRX!
    I was convinced that I was going to buy an 03 WRX. Test drives, pouring over the literature even had the financing lined up.
    Then the wife asked, "How are you going to fit a car seat back there and still have a comfortable front passenger?" Good question.
    Trust me, I wanted that Turbo engine with the all-wheel drive etc etc.
    Long story short, for the same money I purchased an 03 Accord. V6 is nice, leather sunroof etc.
    I'm going to miss the WRX I never had. Love the Accord, and long term is probably the better vehicle for my needs.
    So if you see a Silver Accord sedan wanting to race at a stop light, let me win (just once). Might make me feel better.
    I too was looking at the Accord vs WRX and I ended up with the WRX. I found the car seat (just one kid) fit fine behind my wife (no way behind me). We have a honda Odyssey as our primary family car so the car seat will rarely go in my car. I really wanted a stick shift and the Honda I4 was too slow and the V6 is Auto only. If it was going to be our primary car I would pick the accord only because of its size and gas milage
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    He was talking about the re-designed 03 Accord, which is different from the 02 Accord. Tighter handling (aided by the upgraded and highly sophisticated 4-wheel Independent Double-wishbone suspension-read:suspension found in F1 racecars, Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc), more space, more HP (240hp from 3.0L NA engine/250HP with premium) 5-speed Automatic and an available 6-speed Manual (not sure if this is available in the Sedan, however) along with other goodies like voice activated Navigation system etc.

Even the I4 is more powerful/torquier with a shift to a DOHC i-VTEC configuration from the earlier SOHC configuration. And Honda DOHC i-Vtec engines are not something that can be sneezed at especially when coupled with the available 5-speed Manual and/or 5-speed Automatic.

But obviously, the Accord is not a direct competitor of the WRX in any way, shape or form, even though it might have some remote pricing similarities.

Later...AH
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Unfortunately, in the beginning, the 6spd manual will only be available w/the Coupe and in miniscule #'s. :-(

Stephen
  • cinosweivecinosweive Member Posts: 166
    I noticed during hard cornering you really have to fight to keep the steering from straightening out. I don't recall that from previous automobiles, but then I don't recall driving the others that hard. Is what I am describing the result of AWD w/ no front LSD? Would STI drivers not experience the same thing?
    I was also talking about the 03 Accord. It has been out for a couple months now
    The sedan still doesn't get a manual, and suspension tuning is soft.

Look at last month's C&D, the 0-60 is quicker than any of the near-luxury cars they tested, and it's fuel efficient. But then look at braking and handling numbers and it falls flat on its face.

The Accord may have a peepy engine, but it's not truly sporty at all.

-juice
    The V6 coupe that is supposed to be out in Spring of 2003 will get a stick option for the EX. The only issue is that you could get a Cl Type-S for $2-$3K more with a stick.

In terms of 0-60, I believe the Altima is slightly faster, but the Accord is smoother.
    I need sedans, gotta have 4 doors to load the kids in the back. Better yet, a wagon.

Will the 6 speed coupe have a front LSD? It really should, the Maxima and CL-S have one.

-juice
    Then it would compete head on with the CL-Type S.

Have not heard anything about the implementation of a LSD in the V6 EX coupe with sports package.
    for the Accord
    I have heard that Honda will be importing the Euro-Accord as the Acura TSX. It will be a the replacement for the 4 door Integra as the RSX is only a coupe. Just rumors at this point but some claim there will be a Type-S. But I would imagine it will only be a 4-banger.
  • swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    too bad it probably wont be the accord type R they bring over in acura badging.. thats a sweet car
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    A few years back, the European "Car" magazine had done a handling test of various cars available and the final ranking went along the lines of:

1st place: Audi S4
    2nd place: Honda Accord Type-R
    3rd place: BMW 328i with Sport Package
    and a few other vehicles below the leaders....

The price paid by a buyer for the Accord was chicken-feed when compared to the price paid for the other cars in the test.

Later...AH
  • fxsfxs Member Posts: 50
    I'm waiting for the CTS V-series with the 350 HP LS1 V8 and 6 spd manual to arrive in MY2004. My WRX should be paid off and GM discount should put me below invoice.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The will likely be a Holden Commodore SS. The car I've been drooling over for years. If it does make it hear I'd jump on it!

-mike
  • swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    I thought I heard something about a holden coming over here as the new pontiac GTO... dont quote me on that though, i'm not really up on domestic car current events
    Yes there are several Holdens that we have here:

Catera = Base Commodore
    GTO = Monaro aka 2-door version of Commodore
    CTS = same platform as the commodore

Of course over seas they get the better versions. Holden has "HSV" which is Holden's version of SVT they are special hi-powered versions.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not sure about the CTS. I thought it was a new platform.

Bob
    Both the Holden and the Opel are based on the Sigma Platform. the Catera and Holden are stretched versions of the sigma platform, as is the new CTS (new sigma platform).

-mike
    You're both right, Catera was an Opel Omega, basically.

The Saturn L series is even funnier. It's an Opel Vectra, stretched, and with an Opel Omega engine.

-juice
    Went on a 400+-mile road trip this past weekend; before heading back, filled the tank at a station that had 92 octane as their premium. Also went into a car wash (soft cloth, kind of old-fashioned).

Some miles later, the check engine light came on. Could have been the gas cap, which was not tightened properly after the fill-up, or could have been that the gas was bad. My WRX hiccupped very slightly at times when I pushed down on the gas pedal. We were about 50 miles away from the nearest Subaru dealer--it was a Saturday so the Service dept. would have been closed anyway--and the fiance said we might as well drive the 50 miles, since the car was OK otherwise. Didn't think it warranted calling the Subaru 800-number.

After opening and closing the gas cap a few times along the way, the check engine light went off, although the hiccups continued for a while. The car also seemed to consume more gas on the way back, although the mileage was about the same. Anyway, is this something I should ask my dealer about? Or just put it down to bad gas/inappropriate tightening of the gas cap (see the manual)?

--sonya4
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Sonya,

I'd go to the dealer if the "hiccups" continue. They should be able to read back the code to help them diagnose the problem.

Ken
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Have the booklets on the 2003 (wife was looking at one.) Only v6 mt will be 6 speed coupe available in spring 2003, No LSD so not quite in the same league as CL type s. I have driven auto v6 2003 accord sedan and auto TL type S. Price difference between S sedan or coupe and accord 6 sedan or coupe is about 4K. Accord should give Toyota fits. Comapare the Accord coupe to a Toyota Solara. Solara maxed is $1500 more than the Accord, has 40 less hp, less gas mileage, no power passenger seat and single rather than dual zone climate control (and of course no MT option.)

twrx

so wife bought a 2002 Solara because Honda dealers would not deal on new 2003 coupe.
  • thickersthickers Member Posts: 15
    For some reason, I had been under the impression this was a message board to discuss the WRX. Aren't there Honda boards for yakking about Hondas?
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    I agree. This message board is about the wrx and competitors. If we are going to discuss the Accord, why not throw in the VW Passat, Jetta, GTI, Mitsubishi Galant and Eclipse, Toyota Camry and Celica, Dodge Stratus and every other car that fits into the 20-25,000 range?
    We are a diverse group with interests in not only the WRX but their competition as well. Sorry if you aren't as well rounded as the rest of us. :)

And thickers How on earth do you own a WRX STi considering they aren't sold here yet!

-mike
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    This time of year it's not unusual to get water in the gas as a result of condensation. Sometimes some white gas will clear it up.
    I'd reset the ECU if it's not running smoothly. Also maybe test your battery, the OE ones are sort of weak.

Kate used DryGas on her Forester and it cured a similar problem.

-juice
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    I hear they corner on rails and their brakes can stop time!

DjB
    And where do I get them? (Pardon my ignorance...)

--sonya4
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    DryGas = a brand name of fuel line anti-freeze.

"white gas" = not sure but I have heard this term used to describe 93 octane Amoco Ultimate.

Ed
    promise I won't use the "H" word again and talk about Accords. I'll stay on topic. So... What do all of you think about that new Maybach?

tWrX
    DOH! ;-)

-juice
    promise I won't use the "H" word again and talk about Accords. I'll stay on topic. So... What do all of you think about that new Maybach?

tWrX
  • dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    Is additive free gasoline. Coleman fuel is a good example.

see www.faqs.org

Ken
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Back when we had leaded gas, white gas meant "no lead." A dry gas type product (alcohol based) works to remove water because water and alcohol mix well and in the right concentration will burn off. Make sure the can says it is safe for fuel injected vehicles.

One tip about buying gas that will help prevent problems: If you see the tanker truck filling the underground tank, buy your gas somewhere else or wait until tomorrow. As the gas goes in to the underground tank, it stirs up the sediment and water at the bottom and it may end up being pumped into your vehicle where it can clog the fuel filter or cause other problems.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I've always wondered. Is that a proven fact or Urban Legend? :-)

-Dennis
  • bamawrxbamawrx Member Posts: 22
    I have experienced some shuttering in my WRX clutch when it is cold. The problem only seems to last a few stops. I asked the dealer about it and he did some checking around. Later he called me back and said that his Subaru Rep told him that it was a problem with all Impreza's and it is caused by the hard compounds they used in the clutch plate. It causes no problems and should happen only some of the time.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
    The Edmunds profile gives you only the option to select "WRX STi" from the model field. They don't offer separate choices for the separate models--these 2 are lumped together in one choice. My baby's just a lowly WRX sedan, midnight black pearl, 5-speed, short-throw, turbo gauge, security system, auto-dimming mirror/compass and something else optional too.. I forget.

Paisan, I don't have a narrow focus either. The point I intended to make was that since this *is* a WRX list, and since there's plenty to discuss re: the WRX, stuff we haven't talked about yet, and since there *are* Honda lists to yak on, and since the Honda is unfortunately not nearly as worthy of discussion as the Subie WRX, alas, and since there were about 20 posts in a row about Hondas, Acuras and everything but the Rex--for these and other reasons, I was hoping we might talk about the WRX.

Incidentally, I've seen 5 STi's in SCal in the past 6 months with my own eyes. You should get out more often paisan, and you'd realize you can have something even though it isn't "sold here yet".
    bamawrx, could you explain what you mean by shuttering? My clutch ranges from really smooth and subtle (most of the time) to a kinda clunky and vague feeling (pretty rare).

Maybe it's just different shoes...
This discussion has been closed.