Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    As an overall package, the SRT-4 seems to be doing fairly well minus the fact it is FWD of course. LSD will be a decent chunk of $$$, but combined with equal length driveshafts should make it one of the best FWD vehicles out there. Braking distance of 165 feet from 70 mph is also impressive.

Hopefully this will raise the bar for all companies, and keep Subaru raising the bar on the WRX.

-B
  • Options
    sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    I was at the store today and read a few of the car mags about the Neon SRT4. Car and Driver rated it at 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. Another mag. said something like "watch out, WRX!" It does sound pretty impressive except it doesn't have AWD and the reputation for reliability.

Still, I'd guess it is a good contender--and it costs less. Can't say I like the looks...and as for the better(?) interior, I'm satisfied with my Rex.

--sonya4
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I know Road and Track stated this, but after seeing the interior of a coworkers Neon R/T, and pictures of the SRT-4 interior, how is it better than the WRX's?????? Maybe it was Road and Track's sales pitch to get people interested in reading their magazines? Didn't they say the Yugo would take the U.S. by storm? (just kidding).

The WRX's interior is light-years better than the Neon R/T's!!!!
  • Options
    bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    I'm planning to buy a WRX in the spring and give up my '96 Neon ACR. It has 90K miles, nearly all of them highway (I've not even had to replace brakes yet!). So far the list of "things that have gone wrong" consists of:

starter motor ground wire shorted, resulting in burnt starter motor (replaced)

battery died (replaced)

very slow oil leak at rear of engine, in a tube that's cast onto the engine block to return oil to the pan (not fast enough to cause danger and too $$ for me to fix since I plan to replace the car)

turn signal switch broken, resulting in the turn signals not auto-cancelling (ditto)

If I weren't planning to turn it over to my soon-to-be-16-yr-old sister, I'd probably take your $700 for it.

DjB
  • Options
    jimmys2jimmys2 Member Posts: 17
    I agree with Hutch, horsepower alone doesn't make a good car. If it did then we would all be driving around in SS Camaros or Ford Lightnings. ( I have nothing against these two vehicles, how can I? They both make over 300 horsepower and yet more torque). So why don't I trade my WRX for a Neon? I'm in the auto repair business and although I liked the Neon when it first appeared, experience has taught me that it is not a well made car. No matter how well it handles or how fast it goes I will still look at it and see every prematurely worn out Neon that I've ever worked on.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If your son doesn't want it for some reason... you know where I am :) I may just keep buying tires for Hypov and co-drive his WRX when he gets it! ;)

-mike
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    The new Neon offers a lot of performance for the money, and I might consider it if it didn't look like a cartoon that a sixth grader would draw. The torque on this thing is supposed to be very impressive, but it's not a car for an adult.
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "it's not a car for an adult"
    This is exactly what my wife says about WRX :-)
    and I am driving previous model Neon.

Krzys
  • Options
    pjreporter--What do you mean by "experiences"? Do you have guidelines; are you looking for how the car has behaved and handled, or other things as well?

krzyss--I had a good chuckle about what your wife said about the WRX not being for adults. Who says??!! But everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am wayyy an adult (as we were discussing a little while ago, pretty much of a "geezer") and the car makes me feel young.

BTW, people still look at the car, after a year and a half.

--sonya4
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The WRX was criticized for looking like a Neon. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    ya, and I is one of 'em :D

-Dave
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    bug eye WRX is perfect replacement for Neon.
    But now when SRT-4 is out, there are two candidates: FWD and AWD.

Krzys
  • Options
    fab5hill33fab5hill33 Member Posts: 2
    Whats the word on the street as to the date that the WRX STi will become available in the U.S.?

I'm hoping it'll be on display at the NAIAS in Detroit in January.

Also, anyone know of any good and reliable links about this new sweetness?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    What I'm hearing is the STi will be shown at both the L.A. and Detroit car shows .....probably Jan 03.
    Now when they will be available in the U.S. will be up to the "I think " crowd.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
  • Options
    wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    Hi,
    I don't own a Subaru, but I'm looking for a stock intercooler for a Turbo Dodge project. I have one cooler from an '02 WRX, and am looking for another. If anyone has one kicking around, please contact me. eanorsel@hotmail.com
    (If you want to see my project car: http://www.thebluebaron.net )
  • Options
    Does anyone think the STi's looks (as far as I've seen on the websites) aren't as interesting as the 02 and 03 WRX's?

I know, more hp etc. ... so who cares about the looks, right? :-)

Just wondering.

--sonya4
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You'll never get agreement on looks, no matter what you're talking about. Some people will love the looks, others will hate it.

Having said that, I like the restyled new Impreza a lot. I think it's a huge improvement over the current model.

Bob
  • Options
    nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    Personally, I think the new car looks tacky. Let's face it, the wrx and sti are never going to win any beauty contests. The new style looks too garish IMO and gives the car too much of a boy racer look. I think that the real beauty of the wrx is how it drives without looking the part. Aside from a good set of 17" tires and rims that give the car a more agressive look, (I have rota attacks with potenza s0-3s) I think the car should be left alone cosmetically. As for improving performance, specifically low-end torque, I am all for it. Owning a 2002 model, my only option in that regard is something along the lines of vishnu stage 0.
  • Options
    What did I just say? One man's passion is another man's poison! ;)

Bob
  • Options
    rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    I agree the real beauty in the Rex is from the driver's seat looking out, and as far as styling goes, Subies have always been a little funky and off-beat looking. But to me, that's always been part of their charm. Personally I could never understand all the fuss over the WRX's styling. It's a Subaru, right? The '02-'03 styling just carries on a long-standing FHI tradition of somewhat quirky and non-conformist styling that's always been a Subaru hallmark.

If the rumor is true that Fuji is bringing in a design studio from Europe, the current generation of cars may be the last of the "true" Subies as we've come to know them. Hope I'm wrong on this, and maybe the new design guys can find a way to preserve some of that loveable funkiness that we see in the current Rex. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    mikeber55mikeber55 Member Posts: 4
    For those who plan to purchase a new Impreza WRX:
    A 2004 model with new grille and headlights will make it's debute in mid 2003. So, for these who do not like the current shape (I still don't, after a year of living with it), wait until the next year. (Depreciation of current model is also a consideration)
  • Options
    or not, it sounds like the new model is a better "car." It has an easier to use powerband, reportedly is a better handler, and has numerous refinements. So... from the driver's seat, it should be an even more fun time. :)

Bob
  • Options
    Read that SRT-4 article. Interesting for the price.

If they could only add AWD, then maybe a little more power, and Japanese quality/reliability.

Oh wait, then it would be a WRX! LOL

-juice
  • Options
    And the refinement. Trust me on this, the SRT-4 is not refined in anyway!
  • Options
    It seems with my WRX that the car likes to jerk if you let off the gas a little in 1st gear, especially when you get the revs above 2000 rpm (traffic). Is this typical?

I think this subject has been covered before, but wanted to check one more time before doing something about it. Otherwise, love the car.
  • Options
    I think it's the throttle cable, which isn't as linear as it used to be. It's sort of "on/off".

At least that's the case with our 2002 Legacy vs. our much smoother 1998 Forester, both 5 speeds.

-juice
  • Options
    So this is normal for 1st gear in a 2002 vs. an anomoly that could use attention?

Thanks again Juice!
  • Options
    I think that could be it - the throttle is abrupt, basically.

-juice
  • Options
    Just curious...For those of you who get some snow in the winter (and aren't allowed to have chains on your tires, depending on the area you live in), how do Subarus handle in the snow?

We haven't had that much snow since I got the WRX (my first AWD car), and supposedly it can go almost anywhere with some snow on the ground, but I was wondering if others have had some experiences you want to share.

--sonya4

• Options
    WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    I can say that the WRX handles it beautifully. I've driven all kinds of FWD cars through winters and the WRX trumps all of them....*PROVIDED* you have proper tires to begin with. AWD doesn't help you AT ALL when you are turning or braking so real winter tires are still the best thing you can upgrade in your car. I was using the stock tires and they were ok, I could survive the winter with them, but WRX still slid a lot in corners. Now I have new snow tires and the thing feels glued to the road all the time.

I got my WRX before last winter and the amount of traction AWD adds is significant...it's amazing how the WRX just goes no matter how much white stuff is on the ground. Of course, it's still possible to get stuck but we're talking feet of snow, not just inches.
  • Options
    celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    I hope it is going to snow tomorrow in NYC.
  • Options
    You should come on the 48hrs. I guarantee snow :)

-mike
  • Options
    Nice snow blower, that XT6. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Just don't forget that because traction is improved you still shouldn't drive like a maniac!
    Also don't forget your braking is not improved (why those big heavy SUVs etc end up in a ditch as they can get going but really can't stop!)
    Winter tires make a huge difference both in improving traction and stopping compared to all seasons. If you like your AWD Sube in the snow, you will love it with winter tires. Also don't forget its a bad idea to be in snow with tires with less than 6/32in tread which is effectively where you are at when half worn out!
  • Options
    turbotuninturbotunin Member Posts: 15
    I heard today that because GM owns or partially owns Subaru, not sure which, that the GM employee discount applies to Subaru's as well. Does anyone know if this is true? My grandfather retired from GM which makes me eligible for the discount. Could potentially save me about $5000 on a new WRX. I am looking at purchasing a new car in the next 2 months and am seriously considering a Rex. Will definately buy one if the discount applies.
  • Options
    Sounds great if you can. I kind of doubt it, though. GM card points don't transfer.

-juice
  • Options
    Fuji Heavy Industries does, even though GM might own a portion.
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    Looks like fun Mike. Are you or your car on the lens side of the camera in any of these?

-Ian
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    has a 20% share of FHI, the company that owns Subaru.

-Brian
  • Options
    turbotuninturbotunin Member Posts: 15
    The guy that told me GM owned Subaru was wrong. They own part of Saab not Subaru. *Starts crying wildly* I hate Saabs want a Subie.
  • Options
    jmgregory5jmgregory5 Member Posts: 48
    GM has, according to what I have read, a 25% stake in FHI (parent company of Subaru). There were plans to use a Subaru platform for a GM car/truck/suv, but I believe it has been scrapped.

GM owns Saab outright.

John
  • Options
    That's my XT6 :)

By the way all those snow pics were taken at an undisclosed location in upstate NY :) "Closed Track and Professional Drivers" or at least as close to that as possible. It is in a sand-pit that is not open to traffic and most, if not all the drivers were operating their vehicles in a professional manner :)

-mike
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    GM does not own "part of SAAB" - they own SAAB 100%. They used to own around 50% of SAAB a few years back but then exercised the option to purchase it outright, a couple of years back.

About Subaru, I thought GM owned 20% of the car company "Subaru" (subsidiary of FHI) and not FHI, which is a lot larger. FHI is a huge conglomerate that includes a lot of companies, including Subaru.

Later...AH
  • Options
    Sorry, GM owns 22% of MORE (I think they picked up an extra 3% recently) of FHI which owns Subaru.

-mike
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    You are absolutely right ! I just checked and GM does own the stake in Fuji Heavy Inds (FHI) and not just Subaru.

Later...AH
  • Options
    bouncingbobbouncingbob Member Posts: 19
    I've owned my WRX wagon since Oct 2001. Today, it finally got its official "snow break-in," driving through the Long Island snow covered roads today. I told my wife that I plan on being a Subaru owner for life! My WRX stuck to the roads like the tires had fly paper on them. Of course, I drove responsibly through turns, and allowed adequate following distance for stopping. The ride was much better than any FWD vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. I had no trouble at all riding up my inclined driveway that was covered in about 1/2 foot of snow. Needless to say, I am quite please with how the WRX handled in the snow. I don't see any need to change from the stock Potenza tires, at least in my area (New York City/Long Island area).
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    wait till you have worn off more tread, then those RE92s will be awful in wet or snow! Had them on 3 previous Legacies and now the WRX, they are fine when relatively new and you got lots of tread but stink big time later which is why Bridgestone has replaced many models with UNI-T which isn't supposed to do this.
  • Options
    Where are all the NYers coming out of hiding!!! You should come hang with the rest of us Scooby Nuts sometime, we are in LI often!

-mike
This discussion has been closed.