Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• coldwaterconchcoldwaterconch Member Posts: 7
    I've been wanting a WRX since they first came out...but the finances would not allow it....with the new deals, they looked mighty attractive.

Just to get an idea on pricing, I got "internet quotes" from a couple of local dealers. The dealer I was going to use quoted invoice, one across the street $300 below invoice.

I go to ABC dealers because I know a guy there ("Ill take care of you...etc, etc.)and we play the game....he starts of with MSRP and comes to a price that is ridiculous....I tell him about the internet pricing and he says, of course, that noone is selling the WRX for invoice....

In the end, I got it for $1k below invoice. Moral of the story: it pays to do your internet homework.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Wow 8o
    Coupled with 0% promo going on, you can't go wrong.

-Dave
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    It would be nice if they offered this package in the states as an "option".

http://www.subdriven.com/artman/publish/article_20.shtml
  • prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    The "Prodrive-developed WRX performance pack" detailed in the article corkfish linked to is indeed coming to the US very soon. Three different stages of tune will be available initially, in fact.
    PPP Stage 1: +20 HP ($1150)
    PPP Stage 2: +40 HP ($1270)
    PPP Stage 3: +68 HP ($2500).

CARB compliance is uncertain, and SOA warranty support is not provided.

More info:
    http://www.spimotorsports.com
    http://www.prodrive-usa.com./exhaust.html
    http://shopatmastro.com/prodrive_performance_packs.html

Naturally there are also several posts on this topic at nasioc.com.
  • sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    After the latest episode with the "Check engine" light coming on in my WRX, took it to the dealer. When I picked the car up (had to leave it overnight) they said the cat was just loose so all they did was tighten it.

Is this one of those random things? Has anyone heard of this happening before, in any car?

As for stick shift smoothness, I'd have to say, IMO for the ones I've driven, that the Hondas are the best although the Toyotas, Mazdas, and BMWs are a close second. However I had problems with shifting into reverse with all cars--had to do the shift-into-first-gear first--until the WRX. The short throw is relatively smooth but the stock wasn't bad either. Kinda difficult to compare.

--sonya4
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Is only for 24 months. Any other pros - cons on the 03 v 04? I really like the moonroof but I figure even with the deals on the 03 after adding on an aftermarket roof I might as just well wait for the 04.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Also, you can't combine the special APRs with the $500 incentive. It's one or the other, not both.
    The 0% financing would be beneficial if you're able to front a large deposit or weather the montly payment, and then have the monthly payments debited from your Subaru M/C.

-Dave
  • qualityguyqualityguy Member Posts: 101
    Can anybody tell me, if clutch/tranny/differential of 2004 WRX will be changed (hopefully to better) comaring to 02/03 models? The negative experiences of peple posting their problems in every WRX chat are essentially the thing that keeps me from buying the current car, esp with 0% financing, right now. BTW, anybody having problems with WRX suspension/brakes?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Keep in mind that alot of people buy the WRX to zoom it, and any car can take only so much of that.
    Have a Legacy; can not call it exactly reliability benchmark - and I take care of it. And don't drive it like on the graveltrack.
    The 03 models already have two fixes that address most transmission complaints on 02 models:

1) improved clutch plate; the old design had springs that would rattle at certain rpms and make a lot of noise (it was an annoyance, not a durability/reliability issue). Apparently, the Honda S2000 had the same problem.

2) clutch release valve (or something like that) which protects the gears from taking abuse when doing a high rpm clutch drop launch. Previously, the clutch would engage and all the stress would be passed onto the gears. Now, the clutch will slip to prevent gear damage.

I believe those two changes address the problems you are likely reading about. And as Paul (vocus) mentioned, some people abuse their WRXs, which leads to problems like #2 above. To me, doing a high rpm clutch drop in an AWD car is pretty much unthinkable. I don't feel sorry for people who trashed their trannies that way!

Craig
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    does that subaru m/c trick work? do you get rewards for payments from a credit card, or do they treat that as a cash advance?
    I have heard people talking about doing stuff like that to WRXs on VWVortex. Those people also abuse their VWs, then they turn around and wonder why they break all the time. Go figure...
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Then again, it really isn't all too difficult to break a VW.
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Kind of hard to explain until you drive one around for a while. This car is a driver's car. The car will challenge you if you're a timid driver and will oblige if you like having fun. It can also give you a false sense of confidence and get you in trouble. So like Vocus mentioned, any car will only last for so long if not treated right. I've known people to go through a new clutch in a week.
    If you enjoy driving and not going broke, this is your car. Good luck.
    Rob-
    I'm getting points from bill payments debited to the m/c.

-Dave
    There's a crappy car made by every manufacturer once in awhile...
    high rpm clutch drop launch - that's for people with money to burn - but while the car is moving, does anybody actually wait 'till rpms drop? I drove my Accord to 125,000 miles on the same clutch, and can not say, that every gearchange was perfect (though I drive stick from 81 and know what I am doing), and still, when I was selling the car clutch wasn't a problem - and here we have tons of people complaing about it in WRX. The major part that I don't like about my SUBARU Legacy experience is spring/struts (I wrote about this problem on edmunds) - it doesn't look like these parts are of high durability, they are dead at 65,000 miles, have to replace them now - and it's not cheap.
    Car and Driver got their famous 5.5sec 0-60 time by doing a clutch drop from 5000rpm, which floored me, but they do that sort of thing all the time to all kinds of cars (easy when it's not your car). They also beat the snot out of a long term WRX and had very few problems out to 40,000 miles except for a crunch going from 2nd to 1st gear at low speeds. That part amazes me, since I can't even drop my WRX from 2nd into 1st gear without double clutching, and who has time for that in a 2-1 situation? That's my main complaint about the transmission, along with some backlash noise from 2nd gear.

Craig
    Do you have 02 or 03?
    High rpms are not a real problem when shifting while the car is moving. At least the gears and the wheels are spinning at that point. It's only really an issue in a launch situation, and it's worse in AWD since it's so hard to spin a wheel. If the clutch doesn't slip and the wheels don't slip, the metal in between absorbs the shock and it's bad news. Shafts can twist a little and recover, but gears are not made for abuse.

I think we all have botched up a shift, but that's gentle compared to what some people do on purpose!

Craig
    Looks like there are too many people like these, though... Guys with Toyotas and Hondas don't complain too much though - and those cars take a lot of abuse too.
    I have an 03, but it's only got about 750 gentle miles on it at this point, so I really can't vouch that the 03s are any better or worse than the 02s. But, the mechanical/engineering fixes Subaru made should correct the problems, so I wasn't worried about getting an 03. In fact, I was kind of impressed to read about the fixes -- usually, this sort of technical detail doesn't trickle out to the public.

Craig
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Very true. Maybe it's just the case that the clocks run faster at VW.
    "impressed to read about the fixes" - where can you read about them or view the specs?
    Outside of the S2000 and possibly the previous generation Prelude (which I owned), I don't think there is a vehicle in Honda's fleet that even comes close to the WRX (I will leave the NSX out of this, since we wouldn't be driving and talking about WRXs if we could afford an NSX), certainly not one with AWD . RSX-S is in the same market, but I test drove one while car-shopping, and it felt like a cream-puff. Not sure that transmission would hold up to abuse either (it did shift quite exquisitely, however). My Prelude had a great transmission, and I have no complaints, but I know other people who had tranny problems with the exact same car.

I don't really pay attention to Toyota sports cars, so I can't comment on that, but my neighbor's son went through a clutch on his Celica in about 8000 miles. He whales on that poor car, unfortunately.

Craig
    I'm pretty sure I read about them on the NASIOC forums. Check it out, and I will also try to locate the info.

Craig
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Struts @ 65k or sooner is about right if you have a sporty ride and care. I've got a Corolla that just broke 63k and it's a little cushy but I can live with it. I had an RX7 that I had the OEM struts changed to Konis @ around 30k. Yup they're not cheap. My minivan had OEMs till I got rid of it w/ 135k on it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats Mark. Tell us all about it live tonight at the chat (9pm EST).

Prodrive packages but no factory warranty? Why? Those guys have worked with Subaru for ages.

The 2003 got a revised clutch, one with a force limiting valve. The blown trannies were basically on modified cars with 250+hp, and mostly 2002s as well. In fact in one thread on NASIOC about blown trannies, ALL of them were 2002s. These guys were speed-shifting 2nd gear and shredding the gears. Duh.

Don't blame Subaru - when you do mods, you have to keep the car balanced. 250hp or more and you should have already budgeted a new clutch. Much more than that and you may as well start with an STi.

-juice
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I hate leaving Nissan. I've beaten the tar out of my 1993 SE-R and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. Nonetheless, AWD and great performance at a reasonable price has made Subaru my first choice ( even if it means more repairs and maintenance).
    Good. Seriously. So what if you require 1 or 2 more visits to the dealer, what price can you put on fun?

Even then, you might not require those visits. And you also might get the know the dealer better if you buy a post Carlos "le cost cutter" Ghosn Nissan, they're not what they used to be IMO.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    There was an article in Car and Driver about a modified WRX, where they took an '02, modified the engine, put a bigger turbo and intercooler on it, to the point where they were getting aroud 330 HP.

They did not change out the clutch, because according to the modifying company - "The clutch can take the extra power with no problem!"

Their modification was $13,000 added onto a WRX, so if the clutch needed to be replaced, with that type of pricing, you would think they would.
  • ppekppek Member Posts: 58
    I agree that the life of your clutch is directly related to how much you abuse it. I can guarantee that those who have blown the clutches on their WRX’s have really abused them. Some kids think it’s cool to smoke your wheels, but that is extremely difficult on an AWD car and the tranny takes the abuse and not your tires.

My previous car was an AWD Eagle Talon turbo, and I never had to replace the clutch (sold it at 120,000 miles). While I never raced it, I did a lot of stop light-to-stop light sprints and my driving was very spirited (often took it up to the redline).

Since I drive my WRX the same way, I have no fears that my clutch will enjoy a long life. I do have the minor complaints about it being tough to get into reverse and that it doesn’t like to drop to 1st unless I’m almost stopped (both of which I didn’t experience in my Talon). However, these are minor gripes and the tranny is worlds better than the Talon’s (shorter throws, better engagement, etc.).

Take care,

Paul
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I am always amazed when people do upgrades to their power items, and then wonder why other parts fail. If you are going to upgrade your engine to put out more power, you need to upgrade all the items that go along with it, such as the tranny/cooling/etc. etc.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Just to say that I didn't actually "blow a strut", but it was a loose strut mount in both cases.
    I wish we could edit at anytime like vBulletin.

-Dennis
    AllWheelsSmokin = NewTrannyShoppin

Nobody but himself to blame.

Even a new clutch might not be a solution - that only puts more stress on the tranny. Getting hardened gears for the tranny puts extra stress on the diffys and on the drive- and half-shafts.

You gotta build it from ground up with a power target in mind. Or, like I said, just wait for an STi!

-juice
    It looks like subs are getting better - as the sports cars, now with STI and the other blown 350bhp 6H impreza (here is my car coming) in the pipeline, and Legacy, but the price $45G's - these BMW beater will beat "the Germans" (just watched "Snatch", love the movie) in price too; with going over 30G's subaru is greatly risking to lose the loyal younger generation crowd. shouldn forget what happened to Z300. volume matters too.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Y'get what y'pay for, y'know. If the Legacy were a car with a big sloppy V8 you would still have the 350 hp (like the new GTO) but it would only be $35k. They don't price cars high just for profit or just to be obnoxious but to recover R&D and all the other costs associated with a new model, especially one with Very High Performance standards.

JW
    I hope Subaru learend their lesson with the VDC MSRP, it was too high and sales to this day are slow because of it. The press had a field day with as-tested prices in the mid-30s.

Subaru would be smart to offer that kind of power for under $40k. S4 and M3 have moved well up to near $50k prices so there is room below, but the Subaru does have to come in at a significant advantage else risk being a tiny volume niche car.

-juice
    true, ateixeira, true. Subaru for a small company leans to big boys corporate games, and that cuts on operating efficiency - the Outbacks are overpriced, for the money they should have 4L H8 or a turbo, or both; the Foresters - at least used to be underpowed (prior to turbo on 2.5, though H6 is right if they want to go against Ford/Mazda couple & Liberty) and are still ill-advertised - and the car is great (seriously, I read sowhere, that Subaru tried to find common denominator for the largest following-group buying Forester - and found that these are alfa-female lesbians around 45 years of age - could be a joke, don't kill me over that, but, to the best of my recollection it was a credible source - and if that's true - how large this group is?). they try to sell cars with offering as little as they could for as much as a few can pay - could be dangerous persuing new customers, and turns off the existing base.
    But, WRX IS a BARGAIN, esp if they will be able to infuse more reliability into it.
    Just for the record the upcoming GTO is not a "sloppy" american car. It's a Holden Monaro wiht the Chevy 350. It should handle well and be fast. If it only had AWD it would be darn near perfect.

-mike
    Really, what is so good about AWD? It's OK to have, but that's about it...
    What's so good? Have you ever driven one? I mean REALLY driven one? The handling is vastly better, cornering faster, etc. etc.

Last weekend in the rain, my SVX was all over M3s, Vettes, Camaros, TAs, you name it if it was a FWD or RWD car I was kicking it's butt down at VIR on the track in the rain. My car doesn't have as much power as those, but they couldn't keep up. The only thing that passed it was a 911-4.

Even in the dry your handling is superior in an AWD vehicle. Imagine a vette or mustang being able to get all that power down to the street no matter what?

-mike
    from my personal fighting experience - do it 2-3 days a week - can tell you, size doesn't matter; it's not a car, it's a driver - there simply wasn't anybody to take on you - the other day I saw on a track a guy in a sentra s-er (whatever the hell they name it) kicking butts of guys on 911s. handling can be easily achieved with better suspension set-up. good RWDs come now with a lot of electronic/mechanic gadgetry which negates the negatives (apologize for choice of words) of RWD.
    I still beg to differ on that.

I agree that yes, driver matters, but given 2 spec cars, an AWD one will handle better, better weight distribution, etc.

What is the basis for it NOT handling better?

-mike
    on the gravel in a rally, or in Indy 500/F-1 -yes, if you need to slowly go up the snow road - yes; on eis - no, worse than FWD, on dry road or other more or less normal condition - doesn't matter FWD, AWD or RWD - matter of personal preference; cheap bimmer is a more pleasant car to drive handlingwise. waste of gas.
    I had a Prelude with the 200HP VTEC engine. Front wheel drive. When VTEC kicked in north of 5000RPM, the power surge was amazing but the torque steer and wheel slippage were ridiculous. I would never again buy a FWD sports car with that much HP. It's a joke. And I'm talking about dry pavement here.

My WRX has 227HP, and is balanced off the line. No fuss, it just goes, and I don't have to feel like a magician to keep it going in a straight line. Big difference to me, and it's all because of AWD.

RWD, AWD, FWD all have tradeoffs, but AWD is the best option in my opinion.

Craig
    Funny, after I have been driving my WRX, I am wondering how the heck I will be able to settle for a non AWD car. The handling is that reasuring!

I remember in emergency maneuvers with a FWD car I used to own, the car occasionally fishtailed and subsequently the rear swung around if I tried too dramatic a maneuver. Not the case with the Suby. The car seems bulletproof in this respect.
    "cheap bimmer is a more pleasant car to drive handlingwise. "

- The BMW was better going around sweeping turns (such as in a canyon or curvy backroads. The WRX was far superior in nimbleness, such as lane-changes and quick maneuvers. The WRX also had a better highway ride (328i w/ sports suspension). Since I do a great deal of my driving on the highway, I bought the WRX. Have not regretted it one bit. Great car to drive, and the rush of the Turbo is exhillerating!
This discussion has been closed.