Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• alexandra22773alexandra22773 Member Posts: 1
    So far so good with my transmission...I have 126K miles on it. I had to have the gaskets replaced in my transmission due to leaking, which was making my transmission "slip" into neutral...the gaskets were replaced, I had the transmission fluid flushed and filled, and so far no further problem.
  • rap16992rap16992 Member Posts: 4
    Hello there.

I recently suffered through similiar experience and was wondering if you, or anyone reading this, would be willing to provide further information as I am at a lost with my 97 Chrysler T&C.

Recently driving my T&C on highway and feel vibrating (around 85 mph) that I initially attributed to poor tire balancing. Reduced speed to under 80, vibrating disappears. Next day on same trip about one hour in, transmission goes out. In R, D, 3, L, NO action.

Any words of experience/advice much needed as vehicle currently in local Chrysler shop.

HELP!!!

Hope to hear from you, anyone, soon.
    RAP
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Transmission Control Module (TCM)? I suppose it's possible.

Torque Converter failure? Sounds more likely to me. Unfortunately, usually when the TC fails, it takes the rest of the transmission with it. If your dealership is honest, they'll open it up and let you know for sure.

When my TC went last year there was NO DOUBT in my mind that the rest of the transmission was toast given the horrible grinding sounds that issued forth as I tried to nurse our 1998 off the road. Even still, my dealership insisted on opening it up first before ordering a factory remanufactured transmission. Needless to say, as soon as they dropped the pan, they ordered the tranny. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    shipo:

Very much appreciate your reply. Just to give you more info on where I stand currently. I am in Germany and this happened coming back from a weekend away with my family. You state that there was NO DOUBT in your mind when your's went due to the grinding, I too experienced the grinding especially when I tried to reverse. I have sinced heard back from the Chrysler service shop and they have confirmed that it is the trans and that I need to replace it. As the vehicle is about 4 hours away at another location, I am at their mercy and feel relatively safe that they are telling the truth at least to the best of their ability. The Germans seem to be quite serious when it comes to doing business over here and hopefully that extends to their service shops.

What I would like to ask you is what you can provide me in the way of expereicen/advice concerning my options. It is going to cost me $4500 to have this trans replaced. I have spoken to some of my American co-workers here and they stated that I can expect to pay more for the same level of work/service as I would if this were done in the US. They have told me that it comes with a 12 month warranty.

What I would like to know is to the best of your ability, if I decide to replace the trans, what is the reasonable expectation of its success and the life-extension of my T&C?

Thanks for your guidance.
    RAP
    The transmission on our 1998 3.8 liter DGC went last year at exactly 109,000 miles (literally), and I had several options for replacement. Said options ranged from a checked out unit from a bone yard for $1,200 (plus installation) that included a thirty day warranty through $2,600 (installed) for a Chrysler factory remanufactured unit (with all of the latest engineering revisions for that generation of transmission) that came with a three year or thirty six thousand mile warranty (no other replacement transmission option was even close to that warranty). The good news is that now, fourteen months later that new transmission is still performing perfectly. The bad news is that I only have about 2,000 miles left on the warranty. Yeesh.

Regarding your situation, while I have no doubt that you're going to have to pay a premium to get the same transmission, I'm stunned that you're being quoted $4,500 for a transmission that only comes with a 12 month warranty. Yuk! With that in mind, I might be inclined to shop around a bit.

Regarding the particular transmission that you are being quoted the $4,500 on, what is its source? Is it rebuilt or remanufactured over in Europe or is it the same unit that I got that has been shipped across the pond?

As for extending the life of your van, that was the dilemma that I was faced with last year. "Do I dump $2,600 for a new tranny or do I just trade the sucker in on a new car?" The fact is that our van has looooong since been paid for, and other than the tranny, it has been a model of reliability. So, dumping the money seemed like a good bet given how good the rest of the van was. Would I make the same decision if I was faced with a $4,500 repair? Ummmm, probably. That said, as fuel over here in the U.S. approaches $4.00 per gallon, and given that my company is about to move, forcing me into a 130+ mile per day commute, I might make a different choice today.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tc2007tc2007 Member Posts: 2
    Is yours Town and Country 2007? Mine is 3 months old and has a transmission shudder ever since I got it. I went to the dealer 7 times. This morning went there again and a foreman called Chrysler. When the foreman told him that it was a 2007 T & C, a Chrysler rep immediately asked him if it was a trasnmission shudder. Apparently, it's a new material that Chrysler used for 2007 model and it affects a low reverse clutch. The dealer said that they are going to order the special part and this should fix the problem.

PS I had my transmission settings changed/downloaded twice and it did not take care of the problem. Hoping for the best with this new part.
    shipo:

I am actually being charged a rate of 3,353 Euros excluding tax, which I am exempt from paying. What's kicking my behind in this transaction is the piss poor exchange rate. I am getting the trans from local German Chrysler dealership who has quoted that the casing may be reused/remanufactured, whatever the correct terminology may be, but that all the parts inside are new Chrysler parts. They stated it was 12 month warranty. Should I seek additional assistance from Chrysler direct in USA regarding more warranty? Is it possible for me to order directly a trans?

As I have never experienced a trans blow-out, I am not really sure what I am dealing with. As I read some of the stuff in this string, I am somewhat confused. I do know for a fact that as I was traveling down the German autobahn at around 80-85 mph, the van started to shake and shudder, not violently though, and the trans felt as it disengaged and pressing the gas pedal only acted as the van was in neutral. I finally coasted to a stop and when trying reverse heard the grinding high pitch noise. I assume it is shot. Any thoughts on that?

As for extending the life of my van, I share the same dilemma that you faced with yours. Our van too has looooong since been paid off, and other than the trans, it has been a model of reliability. That's why it is so tough to make the decision although I am seriously leaning to fixing it. If it weren't for the sad exchange rate it would be more even with what you paid in dollars.

Appreciate your thoughts.
    RAP
    "I am getting the trans from local German Chrysler dealership who has quoted that the casing may be reused/remanufactured, whatever the correct terminology may be, but that all the parts inside are new Chrysler parts."

Rebuilt typically means taking a broken unit, tearing it apart and measuring every part. All parts that meet minimum used specs are reused, all parts that don't are replaced with either new aftermarket or used parts, and then the unit is reassembeled.

Remanufactured typically means the case is gutted, cleaned and all internal parts are replaced with factory new, and at the latest engineering build level. Essentially a "Factory Reman" is a new unit.

Regarding the warranty, I'd press your dealership on that one. As for getting a unit from the U.S., hmmm, I suppose it is possible. I just checked http://www.dodgeparts.com and saw that they have 3.8 liter transmissions for 1998 3.8 liter models for $2,047.50 (for some reason they aren't listing the 1996 and 1997 models although I'm pretty sure they're available).

Another alternative is going with a mass rebuilder like Phoenix Rebuilders, they're showing a transmission for a 1997 T&C 3.8 for $1,135 with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. Their unit can be seen at the following link:

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=156

If you decide to opt for an American unit, I'm sure the freight couldn't be more than a couple of hundred dollars and then you could simply install it yourself or pay your dealer to do the R&R for you. The potential problem here is time. How long can you be without your van?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brokenspokebrokenspoke Member Posts: 15
    Yes it is a 2007 about 6 weeks old now, please let me know what part the dealer reoplaces, i was told new clutces are made out of kevler and need time to brake in? i would like to know what the new part is so i can have it replaced.

brokenspoke
  • logerloger Member Posts: 1
    We have a 96 Grand Caravan. we are on the second transmission. coming home tonight as we pulled off the road there was little poof and all of a sudden we had no transmission. checked the fluid and it is good and does not smell burnt. any suggestions?
  • tc2007tc2007 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer ordered low-reverse clutches (there are 5 of them) but I don't know the material that they are made out of. I also spoke to the foreman who wasn't sure of the material name either.

To cut the story short, I am relieved to know what causes the problem and that Chrysler is aware of the problem.

My transmission guy now knows that I was not making up the stories about transmission shudder.
    Thanks again for the response.

Latest news is that I in fact shopped around, as hard as it is to do in a foreign environment, but nevertheless I called another Chrysler dealer closer to my home and they have quoted me a price for what I believe is the "Factory Reman" for 1,000 euro less than previously quoted from first Chrysler dealer. I am now down to 2,499 euro completely installed and ready to roll. At todays exchange rate that is $3,325, so about a $1,200 savings from first quote and this one comes with 24 month, unlimited mileage, world-wide guarantee. I think this is going to be the best offer, I suppose. I will need to verify the part number as I received that from calling Chrysler Germany HQ in Berlin and they have pretty much confirmed all that second dealer has quoted me thusfar. Once work is complete I will be forever crossing my fingers everytime I drive the vehicle. It currently has 132,000 miles and if I can get to 200,000 without any further trans problems, I will be happy. Hope I am not asking for too much.
    Given the local taxes, likely higher hourly labor costs and the shipping involved, I think the $3,325 (a $725 premium over what I paid last year) is a pretty good deal. Add in the 24 month unlimited mileage warranty (I wish I had a warranty like that), and this is a very nice deal. Congratulations. ;-)

Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dzamdzam Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you ever found out what this problem was I am having the same problem
  • mopar4u1mopar4u1 Member Posts: 1
    91 plymouth voyager 3.3 4speed 135,000

I confirmed it today, around the 50-60mph range crusing, if you get on the accelerator for example to go from 52mph to 55mph you will feel a light vibration, if you let off the accelerator it goes away. It is not the road surface it is the van. Not sure where to start to find the problem. The steering wheel does not shake like a out of balance tire would do to it. It doesn't seem to do it at lower speeds that I have noticed. Is this tranny? suspension? tires? motor? No idea where to start. Everything else seems to be fine on the van besides your usual rattles.
  • axr6axr6 Member Posts: 42
    Hello Forum

I just recently got an '06 T&C with 20 K miles. It runs perfect for all account but there is this noise that bothers me. I often have to descend into steep canyons over tight, winding roads and quickly figured that I needed to shift into "L" and slow down to 25 MPH to engage 1st gear to avoid overheating the brakes. This way I can just let the van coast down at around 25 MPH, hardly touching the brakes.

However, after a couple of miles of such winding, steep descent I hear a rather noticable whining sound. The sound will change pitch with the engine revving. This sound will last for several minutes even after returning to more level and higher gear/speed driving. After a few minutes the sound goes away. It sound like it could be either a transmission oil pump noise or a power steering whine. However it is most noticable from inside the car. When opening the hood I can not really hear it and the power steering oil is not foamed up.

Wonder if anyone experienced it? I have plenty of warranty left on the car, just concerned that the dealer's mechanics will not be able to reproduce the sound unless they find a deep canyon to descend into in 1st gear.

Appreciate any advice
  • slfadairslfadair Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2007 Grand Caravan. I had it in the shop for 5 days because of a hard shift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. The parts they list on the work order are Body Comp, Fluid and Sealer RT. I understand the Fluid but am unsure about the others. Unfortunately, I still had a problem. It wasn't a "hard" shift anymore, but it was an unusual shift and from 2nd to 1st it shudders a little. I just got it back from another 4 days and still have the problem. Their solution "May have to break in trans with more miles". I'd buy that if it weren't getting worse. I was told that they worked with Chrysler and there is a problem but Chrysler didn't know how to fix it. I'm not to happy with that. Does any of this sound like what you were experiencing?
  • brokenspokebrokenspoke Member Posts: 15
    yes sounds like the same problem, dealer says chrysler told them they are working on new software upgrade and hope to have it in about a month. this is caused by new kevlar clutches witch tend to grab more than previous clutches did.
  • sccom335sccom335 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday our 2001 T&C developed a problem. I'm assuming it will not shift into higher gears. Put it in drive and at highway speeds, 70MPH tac is over 5k. No grinding or other noises. I have read alot about tranny issues here. Any thoughts or guidance will help.
  • mcetmcmcetmc Member Posts: 1
    I am going to buy a 97 Caravan. When I move the shift lever to neutral, the dash display does not show an "N" or an "N" with a box around it.

Also, sometimes all the shift positions (P, R, N, D, 3, L) light and all have boxes around them.

Is the above caused by a mis-adjusted or bad switch connected to the shift lever?

Does all the positions lighting suggest a problem with the dashboard PC board or circuitry?

How do I get to it to adjust it or replace it?

I assume that the above will not affect the transmission or any other part of the van. True?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    There is likely something wrong with the circuitry in the instrument panel. It is common, apparently, for these vans, though the exact manifestation varies from case to case. If the price is right then it might be worth the risk. If you want to fix the problem, though, it is likely going to cost you much in the way of money and frustration.

It probably will not affect the mechanical operation of the vehicle, at least not unless it spreads.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • lovecdlovecd Member Posts: 50
    I recently noticed an abnormal noise when driving in low gear (L gear) on my 98 Caravan. That noise will disappear after shifted to higher gear (D gear). When I changed to D from Reverse gear, I can hear this noise in very low speed, after it switched to higher gear with higer speed, this noise is gone. This problem come out right after I use my Caravan to pick up the furniture I just purchased last week (about 450 pounds, ofcourse I removed my second and third row seats), and I did not apply the parking brake when loading the furniture, so, the car can move or shake a little during loading and unloading, not sure if this will associate to this issue at all).

Appreciate if somebody can give some advise here.

Thanks!
  • napagirlnapagirl Member Posts: 6
  • napagirlnapagirl Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I would appreciate anyone's expertise on this since I am a woman and don't want to get hosed by the dealer!!

I have a 2000 Grand Caravan, 198k miles, original owner, mostly maintained per manufacture rec.

Two days ago, when I would come almost completely to a stop, there would be a "clunk" just before stop. This always happens now when coming down to a stop, but not at any other time. I thought transmission, and had the fluid/filter changed today. Fluid was in need of a change.. had let it lapse a bit. They used the special Chrysler ATF. But the problem is still there. Additionally, the check engine light has come on. I tried the 3 key turns on trick to see if it flashed (and found code list on web), but it only flashed once and no more. I'm not sure what that means.

Today after having the tranny serviced. I spent time driving it to see if I noticed anything else. I did notice that after having the van in reverse, say to back out of a parking space, when I then put it into drive, there is a few seconds of hesitation before it will drive. I had not noticed this before all this started two days ago.

Any ideas????? I am taking it in this week, but really don't want to get taken by the dealer. The van has had no troubles up until this point.

Thanks!!!
  • khzkhz Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2002 Voyager with 102,000 miles. When I purchase it was running great. Took it to have trans filter and fluids changed. Now the van seems to have problem when down shifting in the 25 - 30 mph range. Still runs good on highway. Problem only occurs when slowing down. The car bucks or seems to down shift real hard. Any suggestions?
    A couple of thoughts:

1) Why did you have the fluid replaced? IIRC, the 2002 uses a lifetime fill of ATF+4 transmission fluid.
    2) Who did the work on the transmission? Many places claim to have some magic elixir that will magically change Dextron transmission fluid into ATF+4. It won't. So, unless you took it to a dealer, you may well have the wrong fluid in the transmission.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It was suggested that I have all the filters and fluids changed when I got the car. I take it to a local mechanic and he claims to have put the proper fluid in the van. Would the wrong fluid only effect when the car is down shifting for a certain gear? If I take it to a dealer and have the drain and refilled, do you think that would eliminate the problem?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Without knowing what when in, it would be very difficult for me to speculate. Another thought is that when your local mechanic did the drain of the old fluid, the transmission control module sensed "loss of prime" and as such it needs to be reset. When you have the fluid replaced at a dealership the do that for you automatically.

I suppose the first thing I would do in your shoes would be to get your mechanic to spell out exactly what the "Proper fluid" is for your transmission. If he says anything other than Mopar ATF+4, then you have a problem. If he does give you the correct answer, go to a dealership and pay them to reset the TCM. That may or may not solve your problem.

Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks again for the assistance. I took the van to a dealer this morning and had all the fluids changed again. It still bucks at the 25-30 mph downshift. The dealer may feel it is a valve being stuck from debri. Couldn't tell unless they took apart. They wouldn't give me an indication if I run as is what could happen. What do people think about letting it go until it dies or if it is debri it would loosen? How much damage do you think it could do?

Thanks again for all the comments.
    At this point I'd say "Driv'er till she drops." I put a new transmission in our 1998 (different generation of transmission and not as robust as the one in your van) last year when it had only 109,000 miles on it and felt it was a worthy investment. Good choice a it turns out. Another car would have cost me considerably more than the cost of the transmission, and now with nearly 150,000 miles on it, it still runs like a top. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Yep - if you have to tear into the transmission, might as well make it worth the effort! Ripping it apart probably will not cost much less than replacing it.

Just be aware that it might (and probably will, at some point) leave you stranded, so be prepared for that and take it as it comes. :D

I find it hard to swallow that it just "appeared" after a service, but stranger things have happened.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    That's what is making so hard to understand. I drove the van and not any indication. Change the filter and fluids and it starts. Most likely it will leave me standed. Any experience as to how long? I know it is hard because you don't know how it feels to drive. Figure ask around.

Does the debri, sound accurate? I'm not that familiar with tranmissions.

Thanks,
    I have a 2002 Voyager that sounds like it is doing the same. It happens when I'm slowing down in the 25 -30 mph range it would clunk. It started after I had the filter and fluids changed in tranny. Like yourself, I'm not experienced in transmission work. The response that I get from service stations is, "it could be a stuck valve". Won't know until we take it apart. Of course if not, "it could be a gear". None would give a definite answer or price. GOOD LUCK. Let me know what they discover. Thanks
    Well, the debris theory is not satisfactory to me. But then, I do not have much experience tearing into transmissions. Automatic transmissions work through hydraulic pressure, so something sticking would make more sense. Basically, if there is a rough shift, the most likely cause is the system is not reacting to normal engine inputs. The transmission wants to shift, but requires higher than normal RPMs from the engine in order to accomplish the task. You press the gas harder to get the van to move faster, and eventually the pressure builds up strong enough to force the mechanical movement and the gear shifts down.

What is causing the "sticking" though? Is it debris? Friction? Improper fluid? Tough to say, but I would think debris would be the least likely problem, as that would tend to cause a blockage altogether or would at least be less consistent than the other two. But, debris and/or friction could be addressed by flushing the transmission with a solvent. A shop would actually have to hook the vehicle up to a machine that cycles the fluid through to replace all the current fluid, clean the internal components of the transmission, and then install all new fluid. Not sure how much it would cost, but I would guess perhaps $500. No guarantee, of course, that it would fix the problem.

If it is the fluid causing the problem then get it out as soon as possible!

As for when it might strand you.... anyone's guess. It all depends on what is wrong and how much damage it is causing. It will probably get worse before it gives up altogether, though.
  • vango6vango6 Member Posts: 2
    My '89 Dodge Caravan gets stuck in first or second gear whenever it gets accidently shifted to either of these gears on the column.
    This started happening after someone tried to steal my van and broke whatever on the steering column. My cousin had a mechanic fix the column and later fix the problem with the linkage or whatever was causing the problem of it sticking in gear (twice).
    I was never able to get any feedback on how this was fixed but it is now stuck in 1st again in a really remote spot and I would like to know what I might check in order to fix it.
  • ondamanondaman Member Posts: 21
    1998 Plymouth Voyager, 113k, transmission broke down.
    AAMCO repaired for ~3k (with 3yr warranty, has new transmission, torque converter, replaced broken oil pan and right passenger axle too). X-sing fingers hopefully another 100k mi ahead :)
    Hmmm, $3,000 for a 36 month, 36,000 mile warranty? Last year I put a factory remanufactured Mopar transmission in our 1998 DGC for only $2,600, and it had the same warranty (which sadly is already expired).

Assuming that your new transmission is built to the same specs as the Mopar unit, and assuming that they put the correct tranny fluid in it (ATF+4), there is no reason why it shouldn't last another couple of hundred thousand miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • krock1krock1 Member Posts: 5
    I have an 02 Caravan with 85k miles with the same problem I havent changed the fluid as of yet. I took it to a suto shop and they said it was probablily a stuck valve. He put a additive in it and I drove it for two weeks with no improvement. I took it to a friend of the family's that owns a transmission shop. He said that the clutchs were worn. I not sure if he did anything at all, but it down shifts fine now. He may have reset the TCM. He said not to rebuild and I could get another 100k miles out of it. He didnt charge me a dime, by the way he is someone I can trust. I would take it to a transmission shop you can trust.
  • nitric_acidnitric_acid Member Posts: 3
    I have two Chrysler minivans, a 2000 T&C and a 2002 Voyager. The torque converter went bad on the T&C at 80,000 miles. Today the same thing happened to the Voyager (56,500 miles), which is currently in the shop under warranty for a transmission rebuild. Symptoms before torque converter failure (on both vans) were what you describe. Clunking for a while, which later developed into slipping, finally no forward or reverse.
  • vango6vango6 Member Posts: 2
    Never mind. I finally found the problem. :shades:
    Noticed something is wrong with my 98 Caravan recently. Have my mechanic shop checked and was informed that the trans is gone and needs a new one with a repairing cost of $2900. Considering this is a 9 years old vehicle and resell price is about $4000, should I go ahead to fix it or simply donate it, get some tax returned and buy a new vehicle?

Your comments will be highly appreciated!
    First I would get a second opinion from a trusted transmission shop. Transmissions are kind of a speacality item and most mechanics dont have the scanners to detect transmission codes. As far as putting 3k into a car that is 9 years old it depends. If you are the only owner and the engine is in good condition with proper oil changes I would concider putting that amount of money into it. Do you want a car payment that comes with a new car? Do you want to buy a used car and get something that is not well maintained and may have to invest money in as well.

I would say if you have owned it for 9 yrs and this is the first time you have had to drop some serious cash in it, you have got your money's worth out of it.
  • ondamanondaman Member Posts: 21
    I had my 98 Plymouth Voyager's trans fixed 2 wks ago, cost me almost $3k. I decided to keep it as a 2nd car for family.
  • dmarcottedmarcotte Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 T&C with 55K miles. The transmission just started knocking when it downshifts from 4th to 3rd gear. I brought it to the Chrysler Dealership and they charged me for the $100 deductible. The diagnosis was the transmission pump. I called an independent transmission repair shop about the problem. The owner said that it was highly unlikely that the transmission pump was the problem for my vehicle, but what he explained to me about the transmission pump sounds relative to the problem with your van.

As for the $100 deductible charge for each visit for the same problem, I would call Chrysler Corporation and fight it. I've heard from several people that some dealerships are nickeling and diming the consumer to death with these fees, and replacing parts that weren't necessary.

I've pulled my T&C from the dealership to get a second "unbiased" opinion.
  • nitric_acidnitric_acid Member Posts: 3
    I would get another estimate. I had the tranny in my 2000 T+C rebuilt 25,000 miles ago by our local Chrysler dealership and it was about $1800.

As for "is it worth it?" how much is a new car going to cost you? A lot more than $2,900.
  • vanman99vanman99 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a 2007 Grand Caravan are they still having trans problems like the older ones did or is all of that fixed now?
  • superwoodysuperwoody Member Posts: 13
    Well, it is now 6 months later with 2 more visits to my dealership and finally have my problem resolved. They installed a NEW tranny after first rebuilding the old one and after replacing the computer module. After $300 and 4 trips to an out-of-town dealership my problem SEEMS to be fixed for now. Luckily it was still under warranty till 70K though or I would have been screwed.

Now after all this, I seem to have the "shudder" problem since they installed the tranny. :lemon:

Even though it wasn't doing it before the new transmission, they said they weren't responsible for this problem. ALTHOUGH they did have a service bulletin explaining how to POSSIBLY fix my new prob for only $200 more ...... I guess I'll live with it! :mad:
    I would think so, unfortunately it is probably too early to tell. It seem that everyone in this form has had problems on a 2002 or older van with 70k or more miles.
    "I would think so, unfortunately it is probably too early to tell. It seem that everyone in this form has had problems on a 2002 or older van with 70k or more miles. "

Really? I haven't gotten that impression. My read suggests that a limited number of folks have had tranny problems since the latest 41TE transmission was released in 2001. Prior to that there did seem to be a fair amount of problems, however, I know of quite a number of folks with over 200,000 miles on their original tranny in their Gen 3 models.

FWIW, our 3.8 liter 2003 DGC ES has 95,000 miles on it and it is still running its original transmission, in fact, its still running on its factory fill of ATF+4 tranny fluid and original filter as well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo