Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• poolboy_1978poolboy_1978 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 96 plymouth GV while on vacation to yellowstone we stopped to fill up at a gas station in jackson hole. I noticed a slight vibration on the way to jackson but didnt think anything of it as the road between alpine and jackson is pretty tore up right now. as we pulled into the gas station the van started jerking (like if it had a clutch and you didnt push the clutch in) i shifted it into N and was able to coast into a parking spot where i was able to check the fluid level and look for any leaks. thinking maybe it was just a fluke thing i started the van up and tried to drive it over to the pumps as soon as i put into gear it jerked and died. i had this problem with a buick skylark and ended up changing the tcc (torgue converter clutch) solenoid which remedied the problem. thinking it was the same problem i got it home and started proding around looking for a solenoid. called the dealer and they said it was a clutch solenoid pack which was $200 unsure of myself and the diagnosis i gave it i decided to check the internet and found alot of disturbing things about DC and there Transmissions. If anyone can help further diagnosis this problem or giuve me advice on where the clutch solenoid pack might be located on my trans. id greatly appreciate the help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Looks like it's on the side of the transmission, about where the "IN" line is for the transmission cooler lines from the radiator are. It sits upright and has wiring going to it of course.
  • claudio00claudio00 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Chrysler Gran Caravan, the computer gave me the 1776 code error, I changed the solenoid pack and I checked the valve body. The error is gone, but I still have the problem. When Im driving in 4 gear and I slow down in a traffic light, when It almost stop a noise like "kroooonnk" come from the transmitions. It seems that it goes straight from 4 gear to 1 gear. Also it has an excessive bounce when shifts into 4th. All the other gears work pefect, very smoothly. I put the computer to reset every thing even some number from the transmition (LR 38 - 24 65 - OD 72 - UD 44) but It got worse..
  • mkoblismkoblis Member Posts: 2
    I also have same transmission in my 1997 Plymouth Voyager, but my problems started with what felt like my transmission was actually braking (dragging) causing me to have to give more gas pedal to maintain speeds. I then took off from a red light, and the front end, engine felt like it was locking up, then my transmission went into limp mode. Now my problem is that when the transmission is supposed to go into third gear, it whines freely, as if it were a manual clutch and I engaged the clutch...weird! I replaced the filter and fluids, no difference, I replcaed the input speed sensor, still no difference...are these transmissions a nightmare or what?
  • coolwind2003coolwind2003 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all
    I just bought this van @ a auction & my best freind konws the van well the tranny in it jumps into drive & dont want to go into reverse what do i need to look for I do know it had a jasper tranny put in it 75,000 mile ago any help would be app much
    TKS Greg :cry:
  • coolwind2003coolwind2003 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All
    I have just bought this van it will not pull in any gear unless you turn the switch off & on a few times & it will say done under the speed od the it will move for a while & then stop pulling untill you do the key deal It has a Jasper tranny in it & it done this afer about 75,000 miles can any one help me @ all Dont need to wast money on it if i dont know where to start
    TKS Greg :confuse:
  • liamhahnliamhahn Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Van slips into neutral about 50% of the time when I hit the brakes, and won't engage back into gear unless I rev the engine over 2500 rpms, then it slams into gear. It will also sometimes stall after the gear engages. The computer is giving me 2 codes, P0736 (reverse ratio incorrect) and code P1784, which I can't seem to find anywhere on the net. Replaced input/output speed sensors and the solenoid pack, no dice. It has 145k miles on the original tranny, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's time for a new one.

Edit: found code P1784: Transmission mechanical failure, first and reverse. :cry:
  • craigs242craigs242 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 and i have had to replace the drivers side cv axle and every time i put it in and tighten everthing back down it breaks it again as soon as i accelerate ???can anyone please tell me why it is doing this there is no split ring on the axle say just to insert and torque to 180 lbs and thats what i have been doing ....is there somehing that i am not doing right ..thank you for your time in this
  • craigs242craigs242 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 and i have had to replace the drivers side cv axle and every time i put it in and tighten everthing back down it breaks it again as soon as i accelerate ???can anyone please tell me why it is doing this there is no split ring on the axle say just to insert and torque to 180 lbs and thats what i have been doing ....is there somehing that i am not doing right ..thank you for your time in this
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    One hundred and eighty pounds of torque? Is that foot-pounds or inch-pounds? If foot-pounds, that sounds rather high. Where are you getting torque specification from?

Another thought is that you have a broken motor mount or two, and when you accelerate, your engine and transmission come out of alignment and damage the CV joint.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • joshockeyjoshockey Member Posts: 13
    sounds to me like your mounts are bad causing your axle to snap . that torgue specification sounds awfully tight not sure what engine your referring to but i will say as the previous poster suggested you need to check all of the motor mounts and trans mounts. if there brittle id replace them if you don't breaking axles will be the least of your problems.if one mount fails it causes stress on the others and can lead to transmission failure(it has happened to me) that would be my guess grab a floor jack and a scrap piece of wood and push up on the motor and trans a little to see if there is seperation it the mounts if so they need replaced im willing to bet there original too. good luck ;)
  • 727727 Member Posts: 9
    Hi all

I own a Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 automatic -93, it has 300.000 kms on the clock..
    yeah, its old, i know ;o) but i've grown pretty attached to it ;o)

Anyway. Today, out of fhe blue. It will not change gears!! I can drive it, but it is stuck in 2. or 3. And at the same time, the speedometer went dead. The
    transmissionfluid is ok.

Any good ideas?

Best regards, 727 Denmark
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ... the input/output speed sensors.
  • 727727 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks..
    do they have another name..? Because i can't find them in the Haynes manual.

727 :o)
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    .. what they're called. There are two, and are easily located at the front and side of the transmission following the wiring harness. One is just below the solenoid pack. Any Autozone (or comparable store) should have them for about $35 each.

Good Luck.
  • darthfader911darthfader911 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 T/C, 125K miles, but new trans. by chrysler at 45K. I'm out of town and wife calls and said the car gears went into "nuetral" and no motion in any gear. When I got home I confirmed the problem. Had towed to the closest trans shop. I am not trusting them for several reasons (word of mouth/reputation) After 3 days they said it was a stripped gear, needs new tranny. I have read much of the forum and found several comments of what else it "could be". Please advise what I should ask the trans. shop. What intelligent questions I should ask and what answers I should get. Are there codes, did they check solenoid, EATX, ground wires, etc. Please give me a list and try to make me a smart consumer before I get had for a $$$ repair. If new tranny, what do I need to ask?
    stripped gear? complete BULLS@#T im willing to bet youve been talking to them aamco jerks. they will rip you off quicker than a fat kid with a donut. i have seen them at least here in my town overprice parts and even had a lawsuit recently for scamming a customer. i cant see the gears stripped out if you did you would know after pulling te tranny filter it would be silverish and you would have chunks in there i know this only on the fact that i recently pulled a trans that failed at 145k on a gm and it was bad! the input and output sensors were known issues on these vans and are easy to replace NOTE i have been told it is wise to also replace the pigtail clip on them also. please do not be swindled into replacing a trans that probably has nothing major wrong with it. if you are concerned about stripped gears the above should clarify that plus your fluid would be burnt. if your fluid is still redish your trans is fine id be getting that vehicle away from them and spend an evening on the phone with local reputable shops. :shades:
  • mugenmanmugenman Member Posts: 1
    At 180000 kms. my transmission just stopped working and i get the pat 2000.00 answer.I can hear what sounds like gears not quite meshing and the the speed of the clicking changes with engine RPM.Could someone give me some insite as to a possible cause.
  • dcurleydcurley Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Grand Caravan started making a "growling sound" It sounded like a bad bearing, I brought it in to a shop and the mechanic said it was the alternator. I changed it and replaced the belt. The sound went away. 3 months later the sound was back, louder than ever. Brought it in to Dodge dealer, they said I needed a new power steering pump and water pump. I changed both and the sound never went away. It makes the sound when in drive and the brake is applied or in reverse and the brake is applied. It doesn't make the noise when in park or neutral. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any suggestions?
  • rchodgrchodg Member Posts: 1
    If you own a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan and are going down a long steep hill and drop the transmission down to # 3 or # 2 in order to hold the Van back, that will work as long as you have the breaks to hold the transmission in that range, if you don’t apply the breaks or you lose your breaks the transmission will automatically shift up to the nest higher gear putting you into freewheeling, if you don’t believe me try it. Forget about the emergence break it locks when you push it on, which will put into an uncontrolled skid.
    Pray you are not pulling a trailer or have your family in the Van when or if that ever happens.
  • spike89spike89 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced the transmission changing from Reverse to Drive, while it was in gear? We had one that went while the gas was pressed. Looking to see if this is a one time anomaly or if it's happened before. Thank You.
  • 00dgcowner00dgcowner Member Posts: 1
    Just thought someone might know whats going on with my van. First thing I backed out of my parking spot and put it in drive and nothing, just the motor reving, after it kicked into gear down the road my speedometer drops to zero, so I stop and check the tran fluid, it was on add, so I added a quart. Left the parking lot and figured out that I am now stuck in 2nd gear (I think) and my engine light is also now on. HELP!?
    My van is a 2000 Grand Caravan.
  • jtmeyerjtmeyer Member Posts: 1
    I had a rental Dodge Grand Caravan which was parked in parking lot that was relatively flat. I put the vehicle in park, removed the key from the ignition, which can only be done if the vehicle is in park. Went to a reataurant to have lunch and came out to find the vehicle had rolled into another parked vehicle. A police officer was there and said when they slim jim opened the locked doors the vehicle was in neutral. Do not know why. But could help explain the need for Chrysler to be bailed out for making poor cars.
  • roro121roro121 Member Posts: 9
    Hello alright guys here goes my issue.

I bought a 94 town & country from a private owner here in my town and was told that the motor had been replaced with a rebuilt one less then 50,000 miles ago and the purr that it produces leads me to believe that is true but just yesterday I had to tell my wife to pull off the freeway because I felt it was not shifting and rpms were going sky high.

Now we cannot go past 35 mph without stressing the vehicle as it appears to be stuck in 2nd gear if it indeed has a four speed automatic counting the OD.

Any help would be highly appreciated since I need to get to work and it is 25 miles away and it is the only vehicle I currently have for me and the wife&kids.

Please advise me as what steps I need to take, I have checked the tranny fluid and it is full.
    input and output sensors are culprits and sounds like that is your issue ;)
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    As shockey said, an input or output speed sensor can cause the computer to go into limpmode which keeps the trans in second gear until repaired. Unfortunately there are many electrical and mechanical issues that can that can cause the computer to go to limpmode. Anytime there is a fault that the computer picks up,the computer has the same reaction..2nd gear only. The first thing you need to do is find out what codes have been stored to cause the limpmode to begin with. If you want to try to avoid professional opinions & repairs and try to do it yourself... Autozone will usually pull the codes for you for free..once you know the fault or faults..then you can think about what to repair or replace.
    I am sorry if I sound naive but I really have no mechanic experience and am only trying to avoid costly repairs because I am not at my best financially, with that said if I go to auto zone and have the codes pulled will that tell me if the input and output sensors are at fault?

If they are the issue then how much more or less would they cost and how hard are they to remove then install?
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    Using a scanner is the most accurate way to check them but In most cases yes, it will be a simple input ss or output ss circuit fault code "if" that is the problem. if anything else like, fault after shift, gear ratio errors in a certain gear, eatx relay codes, solenoid or pressure switch codes then its not the problem. Don't waste your time and money changing them. A gear ratio error code may be accompanied with the sensor code. I suggest when you get to autozone, unhook the battery for about 30 secs, clearing the codes, hook it back up, drive the vehicle till it goes to limpmode (may be in limp when you crank it up) then have the codes checked right after so you can focus on the immediate fault code only and not associated codes.
    If it is a sensor they are relatively cheap, round 30 dollars and easy to change, They simply screw into the side of the transmission, you do need a 1 inch socket though. Keep in mind bad connections and wiring can cause the same code.
  • schalmatschalmat Member Posts: 1
    my 96 t/c with a 3.8 has a tranny issue,when i start it and put it in gear,it will take off in 1st then shift to second then 3rd,wont go to o.d.then i stop at a light and it wont downshift to 1st ,,stays in 2nd.it will go up and sometimes shift to 3rd but then revs freely .then re-engages.there is no slip when taking off in 1st or when it does go to 3rd.it will stay in 3rd for a bit then you can rev it ,sometimes it goes back in sometimes not.if i shut it off and start it back up at a light,it'll be in 1st,shifting can be eratic..ther were no issues leading up to ths it just all of the sudden started doing it.
    Great advice!
    Thanks now I only have one little issue Autozone said they no longer pull the fault codes and I have called my local Napa Auto Parts and they said they do not do it either.

I got a tip from a co-worker who said I can find my reader at harbor freight for really cheap but to add to my recent string of bad-luck I have had the readers were for models ranging from 1996 and above my van is a 94.

So is there any other places to look where I can have the codes pulled free of charge?

I am located in Central California "Fresno Area"

Thanks in advance like always all help is greatly appreciated!
  • nanc4nanc4 Member Posts: 1
    Im having shifting problems.I've changed the trany filter an that worked for a while,I was on hwy then all sudden car wouldn't accelerate so got off hwy an put car in park started up again went to change to drive.nothing happen reverse nothing n nothing. i accelerated on gas in n an then went to drive a it went,next day nothing so now im stuck can anybody tell me if its a sensor prob.please someone help.give me options
    Well this Saturday I am going to a reputable Mom&Pop shop where they will hook my "94" up to a OBD1 reader to pull my fault codes for about 70.00$.

If you think that a sensor may be causing this issue I believe you should be able to purchase aOBD2 reader for approx 50.00$ since your vehicle is a "97"

If you have a harbor freight near by you they would have a reader approx 50.00$
  • dano853dano853 Member Posts: 17
    I have only had this van a few months and the probelm started within a couple weeks. It was not possible to question the previous owner regarding this, and the van only has 76k miles on it. 2 shops have checked the computer and it turns ot NOT to be the speed sensor. The best they can figure, withiout opening it up on the bench, is that there is a loose clip that holds the clutches or gears in place . The clip breaks or comes loose allowing too much play between the gears (sliding back and forth?) I dont know but its okay as long as the van runs cool and the engine light doesnt come on. If the light comes on it starts to malfunction and soon I have to restart the van to get it to shift normally. That only works breifly, then it locks up in 3rd again (limp mode). It also works fine if I can get on the highway before it locks and dont slow below 50 mph.
    I'm pretty handy mechanically and wondered about R&R the tranny and open it myself. I dont have $2k for a new tranny and it jsut seems wrong to have to spend that kind of money on a vehicle with less than 70k on it.
    I need urgent help plans were changed due to financial limitations not allowing me to have the codes read, however I was able to count the check engine flashes and pulled codes 12 and 17 can someone please help as I am still stuck in 2nd gear.

Just to clarify the vehicle is a 94 Chrysler t&c 2WD 3.8L

Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There are an enormous number of reasons why your trans is in limp mode and this requires very careful step by step diagnosis. Aren't your mechanics hooked into ALLDATA? They give a very precise way of checking everything, from relays to TMC to overdrive switch to internal seal leaks to excessive clutch clearances. just to name a few possibilities here.

Sorry, no simple answer because no simple problem.
    (qoute)
    There are an enormous number of reasons why your trans is in limp mode and this requires very careful step by step diagnosis. Aren't your mechanics hooked into ALLDATA? They give a very precise way of checking everything, from relays to TMC to overdrive switch to internal seal leaks to excessive clutch clearances. just to name a few possibilities here.

Sorry, no simple answer because no simple problem.

this sounds trivial but its a long shot at best check your connections at the speed sensors if they are loose they can create issues. as far as the shifting issue to me this sounds more like a computer malfunction than a trans issue. transmission shops are very easger to tell a costumer "oh your trans is malfunctiong" or some other excuse to talk you into getting big cash out of your wallet and ive seen it before. these shops should be able to pinpoint what is wrong with the trans with alldata. i have the software on my home computer (laptop) =( though that doesnt help you none. call as many shops as you can and get different opinions.
    I have pulled a code of 17.

Please help!
  • leadfoot69leadfoot69 Member Posts: 31
    This sounds like it is the solinoid pack acting up.
    code 17 is 17 Dodge Coolant system temperature remains below normal (Cars 1985-97) (Trucks/Vans 1987-97) (Jeeps 1993-97)
    code 12 Chrysler Direct battery input power to computer lost or interrupted (Cars 1983-97) (Trucks/Vans 1987-97)
    i have a 96 caravan with the 3 speed non electronic trany and started doing some grinding/rubbing noise and apears to be 2 gears at one time. seems to be stuck in 2nd gear all the time and then try and shift to other gears did this for a couple days and now stuck in second gear only no other gears at all including netral or park.when placed in park it does put the lock on but second gear is still engaged.
    Was wondering if i changed vavle body if that might fix it or is it done and requiring a new one?
    thanks
    Thanks for all the information fellas!

Can you please now instruct me as to what steps I will need to take so i can get this van back up and running normal again?
    well you need to change the temp sensor on engine. and that will tell ecm engine is running warm enought to use overdrive. when engine to cold it doesn't allow overdrive to work to keep rpm's up to warm engine.as for the code 12 don't worry about that it just means you battery at one time was either discontected or dead and it sets that code.
    i guess i should have asked this befor hand those trouble codes you listed where they pulled out from the check engine light or using a scan tool and pulled for tcm(trans control mod)?? if engine light then codes are as i posted if from tcm the code 17 is an internal tcm failure and the tcm needs to be replaced. But your really going to need to go get the codes pulled out from tcm to really determine the prob with trans as most of the codes the engine light gives you are just for engine not trans.
    Where is it located and how hard is it to change?
    not to sure never had to change one but there usally in the back part of engine close to top of engine posible in the center head. when you pick up new sensor then you just match it up to one in that area.
  • sonofadockersonofadocker Member Posts: 12
    I bought this van the other day. It has 158k on it. The test drive at the dealeship was done when the van was cold. It worked perfect. I drove around one mile ( it was snowing).
    I bought the van and trailered it home.
    Today when the license plates arrived I let the van run a long time outside ( 8 degrees outside). The first time driving the van at normal engine temperature - the transmission will not shift out of low.
    I have reverse and low. No check engine lights are on.
    The fluid is a nice bright red and filled to the full line.
    The dealership - Buhler in Hazet, New Jersey will not assist in any repairs or refund.
    Any adivse would be helpful as I have to sell one of my work trucks or cars to fix my wifes new/used mini van.
    what motor and tranny are in this van?
    and did you bring engine up to redline and stilled didn't shift?The reason i ask this is because these trannies will shift even if you have it in low on gear selector when approaching redline engine will make tranny shift that is if it has the 4 speed electronic tranny.and that could be an indication of a bad selector sensor or kick down cable stuck down.
  • cridezcridez Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 T&C 3.3 engine. The reverse will not work, and I am getting a trouble code says -Incorrect gear ratio2 and another code about the trans control unit. I Replaced the selonid pack, unpluged the trans computer, cleared codes and still no difference. I also changed fluid, with the atf4 fluid and new filter, I did not notice any fresh metal in the pan. It will start to drive a bit then just loses the drive, if I reset it it will start to drive again, but then lose out. But No reverse at all. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Whats the code numbers?