Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Okay, I know this is going to be sacrilegious to some.

I would bet that you have used an aftermarket synthetic ATF. If that is correct what you have is a Dexron-Mercon equivalent in semi-synthetic base. This is not the same thing as the recommended ATF+4. ATF+4 is also a semi-synthetic but contains an exclusive pour-point depressant and friction modifier package that is not available from anyone else but Chrysler.

I'm not saying that something else couldn't be wrong, but your transmission acts fine in warm temperatures but acts up when cold. This indicates the possibility of a partially clogged filter or incorrect transmission fluid.

ATF+4 has a pour-point 55 degrees F lower than Dexron-Mercon. Most of the synthetic Dexron-Mercon ATFs will only take you down about 10 degrees.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    I have a 2000 Town and Country Ltd. with 130,000 miles and took it to two places that buy your used car outright. One offered $5900 and the other somewhere in the five thousand range--I'd have to go look up the exact number. I would have just sold it to the $5900 place but I haven't bought a new vehicle yet and didn't want to rent one. It is as loaded as you could get them in 2000 and the inside is immaculate, but the outside has the typical bumper scuffs and bumps, the usual "I didn't wash it often enough" bug juice stains on the front, and the nicks and dings of countless parking lots. I used to try not to park it next to a big SUV or truck with heavy doors, but I stopped caring about that after a year or so, and it looks it.
    So what I'm trying to say is, yours is worth more than $2K unless its really messed up. By the way, at 130K my transmission is working fine, knock on wood. Just needs its front rotors straightened out or replaced, but they knew that at the car lots.
    By the way, one trade in dealer offered $3000 for it sight unseen. Suggested I try to sell it myself or take it to a used lot.
  • muellermueller Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I'll try changing the filter and replacing the trans fluid and see what happens.

Werner
  • cjordancjordan Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1997 with the same problem and had it rebuilt around 80K miles. Then learned that the problem is in the trans filter that resides in the pan. It becomes clogged and once you leave it warm up enough it the oil thins out enough to get through the filter. Suggest that you take it to a Dodge dealership and have the transmission fluid changed. Don't take it to one of the quick oil change places because all they do is suck the oil out and replace it. To have it done right requires that they drop the pan and replace the filter. Good rule of thumb is that this service costs about $130. If your spending less then they're not doing right service.

Good Luck.
  • colemanr7colemanr7 Member Posts: 8
    Not sure about other areas, but in Tennessee a proper transmission oil and filter change on Caravan is about $80 at a dealership shop. This includes dropping the pan and changing the filter.
    This should be performed every 30,000 miles. Our transmission lasted to 140k miles doing this and included pulling a popup camper for some long distances.

In case someone cares... the full rebuild by a local (honest and reputable) shop was about $1200 and included new "rebuild" kit, solenoid pack, orbital gear, torque converter and some other items that I cannot remember right now. They noted that the Chrysler transmissions and many others are very easy to rebuild nowadays and that the cost usually isn't very high if performed honestly. Our van was a 96 Caravan and the rebuild was performed in July 04. It was wrecked and totaled one month later. :( We are now looking at vans again.
  • lee9lee9 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. My van is not a T&C, but I'll work on selling it myself. I am in Upstate NY so the rust issue may be a problem.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    IMO it's not worth doing a trans flush. My GC gets a new trans before the fluid wears out. Now on its third trans with 64K miles.
  • hollybollyhollybolly Member Posts: 2
    The transmission went on my 2001 T&C. The van has 71K miles. Used as a primary family car transporting 3 young kids. No towing or hauling. Serviced at dealer regularly. Last service was 3500 miles ago. Now thet want $3300 to rebuild or $3800 for new transmission. Plus another $1200 for spark plugs, heater hose etc. IUs it normal for everything to "blow" at once even though it was recently and regularly serviced. Any chance of Chrysler picking up all or part of transmission cost. How do I go about this? We don't have an extended warranty.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    For that amount of money, you should shop around. For transmission replacement, you should be able to just call several shops and get pricing for a rebuilt transmission. It may also be something simple on your transmission, not requiring a total rebuild.

Spark plugs are good for 100K miles. Check your manual. We have original plugs in our 1996 Caravan at 78K miles and it is running fine. My experience is your hoses are still probably still OK too.

Sounds to me like your dealer has a boat payment due, and he wants you to pay for it.
  • hollybollyhollybolly Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. There is something clearly wrong with car since it is not moving. Had to have it towed to dealer. I called a few transmission places and the prices were comparable although of course they can't commit w/o looking at car. I can't tow it place to place. Also forgot to mention in previous post that it is AWD if that makes a difference. I contacted Chrysler customer servoice and they contacted deler but of course service manager out till Friday and Chrysler closed on Th/Fr so they can't connect until 11/29. Chrysler re did say that if we need car to have it repaired, pay for it and then possibly have Chrysler reimburse all or part. Is that reasonable? Likely?
  • good_vangood_van Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2000 Chryler Grand Voyager SE in March, 2004 from a private party. The van was running well all these days except this winter when it started giving problems. I noticed a big sound from the bottom when I backed up the van in a cold morning. I warmed up for a few minutes and then it was OK. I started warming up the van for atleast 5 minutes before I take in the day and that kept the van running for about 2 weeks. Yesterday, Check engine light came on and I see more problems. Took it to firestone and they said there's leak in transmission and it may have to be rebuilt. I need to take it to a transmission shop to get it done.
    Could you please let me know
    1. How much it's going to cost for this transmission replacement approximately ?
    2. I read in this forum that Chrysler, Detroit can be contacted for reimbursement, etc. Is it possible.
    Thanks for all the reply and suggestions.
  • agusagus Member Posts: 6
    I bought a brand new Dodge Grand Caravan in year 2000. Two years after that when the car had only 16k miles, there was a squeaking noise came out from the left front wheel. Dealer told me that transmission was bad and need replacement. They told me that the new transmission they put on is a brand new one. I did not pay anything because was still under warranty. A few months after that, another Dodge dealer told me that there is no such new transmission unit for replacement, it is always a rebuilt one. I tried to contact the Chrysler 800 number but I got no satisfying answer at all.

Anyone knows about transmission replacement?

Regards,

Agus
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    It was a rebuilt one with the same warranty (3/36) as if it were new. Since you did not pay for this rebuilt replacement, your warranty on this one ends or ended when your original was up. There is nothing wrong with a rebuilt unit, if it was done by Chrysler, in some cases more up dated than if it were "new".
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    My first rebuild,under warranty, only lasted about 20K miles. Now on the second which I was charged $600 for. I drive it as little as possible, mainly as a station car so it will last a few years. Anyone who buys the current series of 4 speed transaxle should definitely get a 7 yr warranty and bank the money for a replacement after that if they are going to keep the vehicle over 10 years as I did.
  • 5vans5kids5vans5kids Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this site, and i certainly haven't read all the messages. Pardon be if this information is already covered, but I thought I'd offer it in the spirit of helpfulness. Visit http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html for helpful details on diagnosis and fixes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have a dead battery on my wagon and a busted CV Boot on my van, and my brother isn't having any better luck with cars either this month. He has a 2000 Caravan and it quit shifting in the recent cold weather, and he also noticed a transmission fluid leak. The upshot was a transmission rebuild at 110,000 miles.

He said he sunk tons of dough at the transmission shop (not the dealer), but I forgot to ask him what a ton of dough is worth these days.

His wife is a bit of an enthusiastic driver around town and they pull a pop-up camper with it now and then.

Steve, Host
  • trikmittrikmit Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 T&C LXI the trans was rebuilt almost 2 yrs ago and I am having a problem with the down shift into first gear at about 5 mph it slams into gear. I have just had a flush done but still the same problem. It doesnot have anyother problem. Is there something that I should look at first??
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I'm not sure but I think some one said the tranny is controled by a computer and if you had to disconnect the battery, the tranny would have to reprogram it's self to shift smoothly. If true, you might disconnect the battery, make sure the posts and cables are clean and put them back on and then take it out and drive it and see if it doesn't shift better. Hope you used the right tranny fluid in it. Also go to this web site. it has some good hints on fixing Chrysler products, including trannys.

http://allpar.com/
    Where did you get it flushed, and what did they use (fluid type)? Like previous poster said, the site mentioned has a great deal of information about Chrysler transmissions.
    Had it flushed at the dealer ship. Also I did the reprogramming as it was stated. Still have the same problem. Like I siad it is only on the down shift. I am getting taxes back soon and I am trying to see what could the possible problem be before I take it to a shop so I know if they are ripping me off. I am from MI does any one know a good shop near the detroit area?
    Glad you had it done at the dealer, I've read too many horror stories about quick oil change places. What did the dealer say after flush and re-flash did not solve problem? I would also check out this page:

http://allpar.com/fix/trans.html
    checked out the page but no help dealer is saying they need to rebuild it and wont know a cost until they get into it and see what is wrong. I had it rebuilt before at a trans place but I think they ripped me off it cost 1700.00 and has ony lasted 2 years. I figure this time I will go through the dealer.
  • chryslerjunkchryslerjunk Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country with 31,000 miles and 22 months in service. At first the dealer tried to tell me that failure to shift into reverse and rough shifting during acceleration was normal for Chrysler T&C. Two tranmission rebuilds later, one at 7500 miles and the other at 31,000 miles, and I am still have no confidence that there won't be more rebuilds in the future. This transmission continues to tear itself up. No rough driving, no towing, just my wife driving in town mostly. Chrysler's response is that I don't need to worry the warranty is for 7 years/70K, but I didn't pay $38,000 to have a vehicle that needs a transmission rebuilt every year. I am initiating a claim against Chrysler through an attorney. You may want to consider getting your vehicle into the repair shop until they find the problem. You need to pursue the repair before you can have a case. I suspect Chrysler still has a design problem with these tranmissions.
  • chryslerjunkchryslerjunk Member Posts: 2
    You got surprise coming. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I used to think the same as you do. Chrysler has not fixed their transmission problems, that is why the warranty is 7years/70K. I know, my 2003 T&C with 31,000 miles and 22 months service has had the transmission rebuilt two times. Take a look at the numerous problems with new Chrysler mini-vans, you will find a lot of transmission problems.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    You got a lemon. Most owners of recent DC minivans are NOT having transmission problems.

BTW, the darlings of CR (Odyssey and Sienna) are now having transmission problems. Just go read in the problems forums for Odyssey and Sienna here in the Town Hall.
    I also smell a lemon. Instead of repeatedly rebuiling that lemon transmission you should insist that they install a "new" one. It won't be new, but it has to be better than the one you have now, and will carry the same warranty.
  • homechanic xhomechanic x Member Posts: 3
    I have a '90 Plymouth Grand Caravan 177k mi approx that suffered a tranny problem while driving up a slight incline at freeway speed. No bang or anything, just disconnected engine from wheels. It's left with first gear only (no reverse either).Tranny makes grinding noises while moving. Is this fixable with parts, or is the unit toast? It's been a great van, but it is 15 yrs old and my wife doesn't want to fix it if it's big bucks...

Thanks!
  • dougd7dougd7 Member Posts: 71
    3 speed or 4 speed?
  • bozo4344bozo4344 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 96 T&C LXI(3.8L ) the trans was replaced almost 30 mos and 38 k miles ago after it broke a shaft on the inside at 101k miles. Dealer did not want to open it up just replace with new reman form Chrysler. Now the reman just broke a shaft for the 3rd gear (bad weld). Called Chrysler and they went

in for have of the repairs $700 total. Now I have a van with 140K two trans repaired for a grand price of $2900 in 38k miles. We were going to look at the new PACIFICA but who can keep putting in money for junk like this. HELLO LEXUS they might not be any better but they will stand behind it.

Now to make our government start working for us and not the car company s. If they build junk make them recall it and not suck up to the big 3 any more.
    I think it's a 4 speed. There's no O/D control switch anywhere, but the dashboard indicator lists "OD", "D", and "L". PS Thanks - help is really appreciated...
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Go read in Odyssey problems forums to read about much newer Odysseys that have had more transmission repairs than your '96 T&C LXi lemon.
    Sounds like a mechanical problem. If it were just an electrical or computer (TCM) problem you would still have 2nd and reverse. And it's probably not first but 2nd that is working. If you can have it taken to a dealer and have them check the error codes on the TCM (transmission control module) and get the CVI's (clutch volume indexes). If the CVI's are out of spec it's more than likely time for a remanufactured unit to be installed. I know that's not what you want to hear but 177K miles is a lot of miles for a A604 ultradrive unit.
    Thanks - I will fight the urge to tear it apart and fix it. With a value of about $1000, it looks like a bad deal to sink $$$ into it. Think I'll look for another one, of a more recent vintage... Are any years to be avoided (more than others)?

Thanks Again for taking the time to share your valuable experience!
    From what I have gleaned from the 'net and other sources, model year 2001+ are your best bets. 1996 is one year to avoid - they seem to have lots of problems in addition to the tranny.

Chrysler upgraded the tranny fluid in 2000 to ATF+4 which is a semisynthetic. From what I have read and heard the incidents of outright tranny failures has gone down tremoundously. I have a 2000 Chrysler T&C Ltd AWD that we purchased 2 years ago with 78k miles - no problems so far. I just replaced the tires it had when we purchased it. Planning on having the tranny serviced real soon and R&R the spark plugs also. It has 118K miles now so it's kind of overdue. Although it is running fine. Probably will replace the belts, and have the coolant replaced as well as the hoses.

Good luck in your search. Are you thinking of new or slightly used?
  • buymichiganbuymichigan Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm actually writing for my sis who's comp is down at this time. She just bought a 1992 dodge caravan (automatic). She says that SOMETIMES the vehicle will not shift from 2nd to 3rd, and also sometimes it will only go into reverse as well. She says that it doesnt happen all the time, but when it does, if they turn the vehicle off and on 3 times it (resets) itself and works properly again until the next time. I have never heard of anything like this before but she says that a few garages have told her that its either the "brain" OR the "tranny" and theres no way to tell until it actually goes. Does this van have an electronic tranny? Could the brain effect the tranny in this manner, or in anyway for that matter?
    If anyone has any idea of what the problem could be, please write me back and let me know. i would like to help her out as she spent all the money they had on this vehicle and now are afraid to take it anywhere, and I would also like to learn myself what could cause such behavior.
    Thanks much in advance!
    Kevin
    You'll need to take it to a dealer and have them scan the TCM (transmission control module, ie, "brain" of the transmission) for error codes and CVI's (Clutch Volume Indices - tells how much wear the clutches have). Depending on the error codes found and the CVI's they can tell you whether or not she may need a rebuild or not.

Just as an fyi, the tcm will default to 2nd gear(limp mode) when it has a hard error. Under these conditions you will only have 2nd and reverse. If either one of those fail then indications are you will need a rebuild or install a remanufactured unit. If you have to go that route a Mopar remanufactured unit is best as it comes with a 3/36 warranty.

Doug
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Dude, the transmission in a Chevy Trailblazer has virtually nothing in common with the transmission in a Caravan. There is no such a thing as a "one size fits all" with regard to the fluids that go in modern automatic transmissions.

FWIW, I just took a look at that web site, and to me at least, that stuff smells like Extract of Snake. Buyer beware, I doubt seriously that Chrysler would honor any kind of a warranty if they found this stuff in a transmission.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.
    You don't perchance work for/own the outfit responsible for this stuff. If so, you are in serious violation of the Membership Agreement here at the Town Hall.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's gone :-)

Steve, Host
  • loriforemanloriforeman Member Posts: 1
    okay, don't laugh, but i have a 1996 plymouth voyager, which is a piece of junk, and it needs some transmission fluid. the problem, of course, is that i don't know where to put it. please tell me where to look. i have the fluid, and i need to get it in quickly, while i still HAVE a tranny!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    First, have you checked it with the engine running, warmed up fully,on level ground and in park?

If you've found the dipstick, you've found the filler hole as well. Use a funnel into the dipstick tube.

There are a lot of warnings about being careful to not overfill it, so beware. I myself always have had some trouble checking the level as it never seems to be all that stable when the engine is running--churns the fluid enough to make it hard to determine how full it is. My 96 Caravan transmission is still going good at 81K miles, knock on wood!
    You state you "have some fluid". I sure hope it's the correct fluid, ATF+3 for your application. Do NOT use anything else!
  • ohyreohyre Member Posts: 1
    Hello, My name is Ottis. I have a 2002 voyager had all the same problems your van has. I took it to the dealer and found out it was a pump inside the transmission. they replaced the pump and the problems went away.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Autually, ATF+4 has replaced ATF+3. ATF+4 is only available from Chrysler.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • vleespetvleespet Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 chrysler voyager with 73 k miles.
    Yesterday I noticed a hard downshift from 2nd to first gear...around 5 miles per hour everytime I had to come to a stop.

further on i drove about 45-50 miles an hour and i heared a noise if a motorcycle was passing me but it was my engine's rpm's going like crazy,like it maybe slipped in neutral?

I stopped the car immediately and put it in park and turned the cruisecontrol off.I put it back in drive and drove home no problems.

Anybody an idea or do I just need a rebuild tranny?
  • chuckgchuckg Member Posts: 69
    Have you had the transmission fluid and filter changed lately? I'd get this done first.

I believe you're best bet is to get this done at a dealer. You need to use the correct fluid in this vehicle. I think it's ATF+4 for your car. You use the wrong fluid and your problems will really begin to multiply.
  • vleespetvleespet Member Posts: 3
    I remember I had a transmission flush right after I bought the car in april 2003.
    Back then i did not know about the importance of the right fluid like ATF+3 or ATF+4....But if they used the wrong fluid(i think i did it at a quick lube place)wouldn't it gave me problems earlier??

thanks
  • chuckgchuckg Member Posts: 69
    I don't know what the quick lube places use for a transmission fluid change. I've read that they put certain additives into their standard fluid depending on the vehicle.....I can't confirm this though. As for noticing the problem now and not earlier, it would just be speculation.

Here are the most common transmission problems (for Chryslers) from the Allpar site. Forum rules will not let me post a link:

# Incorrect transmission fluid (cost: $40-60) - most common problem!
    # Solenoid pack (cost: about $60-$150 plus labor. May just be clogged.)
    # Computer needs retraining (cost: time)
    # Computer firmware needs upgrade (cost: Chrysler dealer should do this for free; may be up to $200)
    # Incorrect filter used
    # Loose electrical connection (cost: time)
    # Leaking seals (cost: rebuilding)
    # Torque converter problems - see the bump shift section

If it were me, and I wasn't positive what type of fluid I had in my transmission, I'd get it changed. If the transmission started to shift normally after the change, in six months I'd change it again, just to make sure that the old fluid is being replaced.

You want to stay away from a rebuild if you possibly can. This would be my first step.
  • bogenbogen Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of a pin coming loose in the tranny of a 98 caravan. The pin holding the spider gears came out causing the tranny to fail. I heard it is from spinning the tires. Is this true?
    Yes it's true, neon owners who race their cars have the pin welded in place
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    From what I understand, only DamilerChrysler sales the type of transmission fluid for their vechicles. Make sure to get a Trans. flush and not just a fluid and filter change. (A trans. flush takes out all 12 or so qts. out the trans. A fluid and filter change only takes out 2 qts. and the filter is changed). I have heard of people on this board that had the incorrect fluid put in their DC trans. and 10K later had serious problems.